• Publisher: Raw Fury
  • Release Date: Jun 18, 2020
  • Also On: PC
6.8

1. Jun 30, 2020
    I really wanted to like this game. I love the atmosphere, the visuals are great and the setting is gritty and interesting. Even the music, as bare as it is, is enjoyable. The problem is the game is hampered by a multitude of issues that as much as I tried, I just couldn't get past.
    For starters, this is labeled as a twin stick shooter which is simply not accurate. You don't really aim in this game. Instead, your character locks on to an enemy and any shots you take will go towards that target. There is very little if any free aiming and this can be terribly annoying in certain situations until you get a firm grasp of the mechanics. There are also glaring issues with controls. Several buttons carry out multiple functions and it can be hard to tell when your character will do which action. Often times causing you to leap from cover or shoot when you mean to melee.
    Another huge issue is the camera and lighting. There are many instances where the camera will completely obscure your view and make it next to impossible to see enemies just off screen. It's a dynamic camera as well so you will find your view changing drastically on a whim, sometimes in combat which can really throw a wrench into the fight. The lighting also plays a huge part in this game. The mechanics work such that the arenas where you fight are usually shrouded in darkness with lanterns littered around the room that you can light. When lit, they stun enemies briefly and allow you see them and lock on to them. There are a few issues with this system. The biggest being there are many times where you simply can't get to a lantern before a target can hit you. They can target you in the dark, but you more or less cannot hit them in the dark. But sometimes you can. This is frustrating because there are many times you never really quite know how you should approach a fight.
    Lastly, there are a lot of bugs in the game as I write this. Some of them are game breaking. I was locked out of rooms that I was supposed to be locked into. There were many times where part of the room loaded, but another part was only partially loaded and obstacles were invisible or flickering. Enemies often became stuck or glitched into walls and floors, sometimes completely off the map but still triggering a fight. I even encountered one instance where every time I used an ability the game would completely crash and close.
    Even with all of these issues, if the game wasn't such a grind i would have still probably enjoyed it. The core gameplay is really enjoyable. Unfortunately the game has a pretty brutal difficulty curve with many of the later enemies killing you in one hit and forcing you to start completely over. Not necessarily an issue in itself but since you have to work your way all the way back to get familiar with the enemies, it can take quite a bit of time to advance. With the permanent upgrades a complete and utter grind to unlock the game eventually became a chore to play and with all of the issues it becomes pretty irritating.
    This game is teetering on the edge of being really great. But it's issues accompanied with the slow development and very grindy mechanics are holding it back severely. The game is in desperate need of a patch to clean some of these issues up and hopefully reduce the amount of time it takes to unlock some of the upgrades or put in some checkpoints between levels to make the game seem like less of a slog and more of an enjoyable venture.
  2. Jun 20, 2020
    Es un juego simple pero que engancha, con una jugabilidad de proteger y disparar. Lastima que no se puede guardar la partida
  3. Jun 22, 2020
    Es un buen juego
    Tiene mecánicas parecidas a Enter the Gungeon y Dead Cells
    Es un buen juego
    Tiene mecánicas parecidas a Enter the Gungeon y Dead Cells
    Aunque es bueno creo que si tiene algunos errores, nose si sea yo el que ha presionado mal los botones o si es el juego Algo que se podría cambiar es el botón para interactuar y curarte, deberían cambiar el de curar por Y ya que en ocasiones cuando vas a encender un farol parece que el juego detecta que te quieres curar y no puedes prender el farol, por lo que recibes el daño que quieres evitar. De ahí en fuera si Gungeon o Dead Cells son juegos que disfrutaste, ten por seguro que este también lo disfrutarás y lo mejor, gratis con Game Pass.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 10 Critic Reviews

1. Jul 3, 2020
    West of Dead is a very interesting action game, very punitive, as dying is definitive, but entertaining. If you manage to tame its camera angles, you'll find a pleasant alternative to Hotline Miami.
  2. Jul 2, 2020
    It may take a while to learn how to play West of Dead effectively but the journey is ultimately rewarding and a ton of gunslinging fun.
  3. Jul 2, 2020
    West of Dead is a beautiful looking cel-shaded game which made me feel like a bad ass cowboy, with a sprinkling of Ghost Rider. I felt some of the hit boxes were off slightly on occasion – I’m don’t think I’m that much of a bad shot… The clever mechanics of cover and using light and dark to “hide” your enemies is a good addition. Rogue-lites can be fun if balanced well and this is a wonderfully put together example.