Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: February 7, 2020
5.7
Mixed or average reviews based on 882 Ratings
Watch Now
LostinATLFeb 7, 2020
I am sick and tired of being told what movies I need to like as a woman, this is a bad movie. It isn't a zero nor is it a ten and anyone rating it that way isn't being honest either with you or themselves. The storytelling is odd and theI am sick and tired of being told what movies I need to like as a woman, this is a bad movie. It isn't a zero nor is it a ten and anyone rating it that way isn't being honest either with you or themselves. The storytelling is odd and the flashbacks are weirdly placed to the point where they take you out of the movie. This movie has too much exposition and then not enough which I congrats I guess. I don't think men are rating this film low because they are "man babies" I think they are rating it low because there are far better superhero and anti-hero movies out there to choose from. The fight scenes are fine at times and odd at others as if two different directors worked on this movie. This movie is fine if you shut your brain off and just watch and eat some popcorn. A should watch if it comes to Netflix but a skip if you are paying money for it. Go see 1917 instead or even Bad Boys if you want a pointless action movie they are much better. Expand
BlueReckoningFeb 8, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you're high on acid you might enjoy this movie since it has some wonderful visuals, but otherwise just avoid it, this is an awful film with few redeeming qualities. Margot Robbie puts in a decent performance as Harley Quinn, however I was confused if this was supposed to be about Harley Quinn or about the Birds of Prey, no matter what they were going for though, they failed. The film lacks solid direction and the narrative is just boring and at many times cliche. Unfortunately there is also a strong effort to push a far-left, woke and feminist social and political agenda in the film. This isn't done subtly and it is very on the nose. For example, every male character is portrayed as an idiot or an over the top misogynist. This will turn off a lot of audiences who just wanted to watch an entertaining film with a well written narrative and interesting characters without being lectured or preached to, which is exactly what this film is trying to do. You shouldn't have to tear down male characters in order to lift up female ones. An easy example is Sarah Connor from the first two Terminator films and Ellen Ripley from the Alien franchise, who are two of of most iconic characters in film history, wonderfully written and individuals you can look up to. Rosie Perez's character Renee Montoya doesn't work and it is also laughable to see a 55 year old woman beating up men younger and twice her size. On that note though I laughed at the end when Montoya was briefly fighting Harley Quinn, throughout the film, Quinn easily dispatches with any man who gets in her way, yet in this fight she struggles to overcome a much older, 55 year old woman (just thought id mention it). Laughably, Montoya is portrayed to be the only competent cop on the force and the men once again, are depicted as morons or misogynists. Roman Sionis/Black Mask, portrayed by Ewan McGregor, is an awful villain and is not really intimidating at all, they do their best to show him doing "evil" things, but instead I was just laughing at him. Not only is the character nothing like how he is written in the comic books and other source material, but instead he comes across like a child throwing temper tantrums, coming across like a much worse version of Kylo Ren. I do love Ewan McGregor, I think he is a wonderful actor and in this he puts in a decent enough performance, working with what he's given, however, I'm not sure if he was miscast or perhaps it's the dialogue or the screenplay as a whole, but it just doesn't work.

It's sad to see how they butchered a lot of these well known characters, they are nothing like how they are written in the comics. The changes to them are bewilderingly stupid at times and the writer seems to know barely anything about them, showing little to no respect for the foundations of these characters laid out in the comic books. Perhaps she was drunk at 1am writing it and briefly read some summaries on the wiki and said "I totally got this", then proceeded to spew whatever she could onto the page before passing out blackout drunk. Just a guess.

That being said, I did enjoy the look of the film, the visuals were quite enjoyable, at times the action was great and I loved the music. I wish I had more positive things to say but I'm struggling to think of any. Apart from Robbie and McGregor, the acting was alright, but nothing special. However, Cassandra Cain was just a terrible character though, actress Ella Jay Basco was fine and well cast, but the problem was with the writing and not her, just to make that clear. I don't mind flashbacks, but they weren't always used very well and some were repeated later in the film when we didn't need to see them, we already got the point you don't have to keep showing it over and over again. The Screenplay is objectively bad as well, which is quite sad since I do believe the Screenplay is the heart of any movie.

Initially, when I heard this film was in production I was excited. I love the character of Harley Quinn and the DC universe is one of my favourites. Although Suicide Squad wasn't the greatest I still loved the portrayal of Harley Quinn and was curious to see how a standalone movie would go. But sadly I hated this film. No, it's not a 0/10 or a 10/10, that's just being silly. It's a below average film that had all the right tools and cast to make an enjoyable film, instead they wasted them. Many departments in the production did an amazing job and they should be proud of what they achieved, I truly mean that. Sadly though it is a forgettable film that you should just avoid. But if you're high one night and need to kill some time and have your brain switched off, maybe this is the film for you.

There is a lot more to go into but since I'm almost at the word limit ill end it here. Have a lovely day and take care :D
miccaelFeb 7, 2020
Birds of Prey? More like Suicide Girl-squad against misogynist character-less villains in most boring plot since Suicide Squad.
Only good thing is Margot Robbie and some action scenes.
Feminist Disaster.
NoHacksFeb 8, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Just oof... Nonsensical. The only interesting parts of this movie are the support actresses who play black canary and huntress. Just couldnt wait for the credits to roll and harley quinn to stop talking.

I wouldn't trust anyone whos praising this. Shooting up a police station where the cops dont have ANY firearms??? Wut??
aguila9Feb 9, 2020
(What if a Charlie's Angel did cosplay). It's strange how the Joker went from one-dimensional, one-liner, character for decades but got the full dramatic treatment in the past 10 years. It was an incredibly, well-depicted transformation for(What if a Charlie's Angel did cosplay). It's strange how the Joker went from one-dimensional, one-liner, character for decades but got the full dramatic treatment in the past 10 years. It was an incredibly, well-depicted transformation for the character. But Harley Quinn, nothing but a classic one-liner air-head from beginning to end. A bad attempt at comical, and never remotely close to comic hero. And then there's the inconsistency: One moment she's a vulnerable weakling without a man's protection, being targeted by every one in the city and she cant' even fend for herself against a single foe in hand-to-hand combat. A few scenes later she's armed, punching, kicking, and taking on an entire uniformed legion. Expand
PutriFeb 8, 2020
I was expecting strong ending for this movie, but i don’t get it. This movie had a few creative scene which is good, nice music, but mildly entertaining and the “super girl thing“ annoyed me.
EbertJrFeb 7, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I have been longing for Hollywood to make a good female-led action film to join "Aliens". I'm still waiting.

Harley Quinn may be the protagonist, but it's the antagonist that makes a movie and Roman Sionis, played by the usually reliable Ewan McGregor, falls far short of being any challenge whatsoever. He struts, prances and preens around the screen but does absolutely nothing to show he's a match for Harley; a troop of Cub Scouts could take him down. A more worthy antagonist would've been Joker.

In "Suicide Squad", she had Will Smith to help carry the load, but here, there's nothing to her other than some flashy fight moves, and while those held me for a little while, there was nothing else for me to hold my interest, so I got bored less than halfway through.

Don't waste your time with this.
StojanatorFeb 7, 2020
They should have called this movie Birds of Prey against men, probably the worst DC movie I have seen. The only good thing about this film is Margot Robbie was amazing as Harley Quinn.
iamdavyboiFeb 10, 2020
The Film was decent enough for a lowkey Friday night out with the girls. Nothing you'd rant & rave about or even remember seeing in a few months but it was entertaining in places. The script felt a little bit underbaked & the story itselfThe Film was decent enough for a lowkey Friday night out with the girls. Nothing you'd rant & rave about or even remember seeing in a few months but it was entertaining in places. The script felt a little bit underbaked & the story itself felt a bit disjointed. The direction of the film was lacking for me. In a world where Todd Phillips pulled off Joker (2019) this seems like a more rushed project that would've been better at Netflix or even Amazon Prime for release. I think the deserve another crack at this movie & another attempt at something with a bit more substance. Expand
MattyiceFeb 7, 2020
While Robbie, McGregor, and most of the cast give solid performances and the action sequences truly are great at points, Birds of Prey features some problems that hamper the whole film. First off, the film doesn't feature enough of the titleWhile Robbie, McGregor, and most of the cast give solid performances and the action sequences truly are great at points, Birds of Prey features some problems that hamper the whole film. First off, the film doesn't feature enough of the title characters outside of the climax and the editing, unfortunately, reeks of Suicide Squad at many points and definitely should have been refined. At the very least, unlike the aforementioned film, this film has something resembling a real plot, although the plot is pedestrian at best. Finally, the film does not use its R-rating to its full potential outside of childish profanity-laced throughout, with very little of the humor landing. This film serves as an unfortunate step backward for the DCEU just as it felt like it found its footing. Expand
DoctorZackFeb 9, 2020
If you've watched a modern DC-CW tv show, prepare for DC-CW the movie. You will get bored. I'm not even sure what the movie was about by the end of it.
The3AcademySinsFeb 10, 2020
I hated Suicide Squad, so I was pleasantly surprised by how much I found myself enjoying Birds of Prey. However, the movie is not without its problems. If you go into this movie thinking its the best DC movie of all time, you are going to beI hated Suicide Squad, so I was pleasantly surprised by how much I found myself enjoying Birds of Prey. However, the movie is not without its problems. If you go into this movie thinking its the best DC movie of all time, you are going to be sorely disappointed.

While I did thoroughly enjoy the performances of Margot Robbie and Ewan McGregor, the writing of Birds of Prey leaves a LOT to be desired. It's 2020 and DC has yet to figure out how to write a good story! The story structure borrows way too heavily from Deadpool, and honestly, the constant 4th wall breaking and narration got to be grating. The Birds of Prey are really empty characters, and I feel like I learned nothing about who they are as people. The best part of the plot was seeing Harley Quinn post breakup. The whole story about the diamond macguffin thing was really stupid, and I couldn't care less about it.

The action and direction is pretty fun. I can't lie, I found a lot of that to be really enjoyable. I also really liked how they didn't shy away from how violent a lot of the characters are, especially Harley Quinn herself. This isn't a movie I think I will ever willingly seek out again, but I would be lying if I said I hated the entire thing.
TVJerryFeb 12, 2020
Margot Robbie was the stand out as Harley Quinn in the 2016 DC Comic film Suicide Squad (my review said that), so they've given her this starring vehicle. It begins after she's been dumped by The Joker. She goes on a carefree kick-ass spreeMargot Robbie was the stand out as Harley Quinn in the 2016 DC Comic film Suicide Squad (my review said that), so they've given her this starring vehicle. It begins after she's been dumped by The Joker. She goes on a carefree kick-ass spree that includes tracking down a special diamond and the girl who has it. Robbie stays over the top with big aplomb and fun fight choreography. Ewan McGregor plays the villain, but never makes much of the potential to match her over-the-top characterization. There's plenty of happy and mean-spirited fun in this lively movie, even though the assemblage of the "Birds" doesn't happen til the final scenes. Not a special addition to the DC anthology, but enjoyable enough. Expand
Compi24Feb 11, 2020
A peculiar experiment in reaping the fruits from a plant that was born from two seeds with very little to do with one another. Those two seeds obviously being the undeniably prolific and popular Harley Quinn character and the slightly moreA peculiar experiment in reaping the fruits from a plant that was born from two seeds with very little to do with one another. Those two seeds obviously being the undeniably prolific and popular Harley Quinn character and the slightly more esoteric Birds Of Prey comics. Both are Batman-related, yes, but the lore surrounding these two entities crossing paths in the past is scant, to say the least. So what did we end up getting in this de facto first attempt at bringing these characters together in any form, let alone on the big screen?

It's alright. A tad scatterbrained and lopsided, but an enjoyable film, nonetheless.

Margot Robbie is having a blast, but it's almost futile to think the powers-that-be cared about anything other than a chance to capitalize on the Harley Quinn craze (see Harley Quinn's contributions taking up three-quarters of the title & Warner Bros. recent, post-release rebranding of the film). Ewan McGregor is a welcomed face. Though, I couldn't help but notice that his character was a bit of a mishmash of other Batman villains, rather than being an entirely accurate portrayal of "Black Mask." Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Helena Bertinelli is quite inspired, but supremely underutilized. Again, lopsided, scatterbrained, but enjoyable. The fight scenes are a smash, the set design is interesting to look at, and even the cinematography is sleek and eye-catching. However, I'm not sure I can ever justify these characters all being in the same movie together. Did Harley Quinn really need the Birds Of Prey in order to succeed in her own movie? Why even include the Birds Of Prey, when a Harley Quinn solo film was what was so obviously teased at all along? These questions will rattle around upstairs for only the next few hours, sure, but I can't blame myself for doing so in an attempt to get closer to what exactly went wrong, what could have been and what might yet still be.

For now, though, I still think it was simply alright.
joeyabukiFeb 7, 2020
Bad movie. I liked the reshoots by JohnWick's director, Chad Stahelski, because the previous version was terrible without those action sequences. I liked the arc of Huntress as well, she's a good assassin. And the flashbacks and flashforwardsBad movie. I liked the reshoots by JohnWick's director, Chad Stahelski, because the previous version was terrible without those action sequences. I liked the arc of Huntress as well, she's a good assassin. And the flashbacks and flashforwards like Pulp Fiction. But everything else is a disaster. The little Chinese girl swallows a diamond and Black Mask wants to kill her to take it back. The 5 girls gather to fight at the end because of the fate (and the script). People who were in the theater preferred to look at their cell phones in front of boring scenes, you can cut 40 minutes and it looks better. This is NOT DC COMICS. Ewan McGregor's character was crap. The post-credit scene was stolen from Deadpool. Expand
ixdudeFeb 8, 2020
Boring movie. Wasted potential. Shame... Beside Suicide Squad wasn't great movie, Margot Robbie was astonishing. She lost her charm in this movie though..
artardmosheaFeb 7, 2020
I liked suicide squad largely because of Harley Quinn being a great character, but it's just too much in this movie.

The Birds of Prey were really weak and barely in the movie. The movie felt really aimless and didn't really accomplish

The Birds of Prey were really weak and barely in the movie.

The movie felt really aimless and didn't really accomplish anything interesting.

I thought the villain was a pretty funny sociopath/petulant manbaby.
StoneOrcFeb 9, 2020
Kinda meh. This movie could have been hellavalot better.
Still, I did manage to watch it to the end, unlike trash like Black Panther, which made me literally fall asleep 15 minutes in...
bxgdvnFeb 10, 2020
For Christ sake, grow up and stop spending your money and time on a child movies. Millennials enials are the worst.
GarethBFeb 10, 2020
Whilst Margot Robbie is an excellent Harley, if placed in a well written more like the comic in say a Gotham City Sirens. The rest of the movie is convoluted mess with shallow characters, no discernible plot. The costumes and fight scenes atWhilst Margot Robbie is an excellent Harley, if placed in a well written more like the comic in say a Gotham City Sirens. The rest of the movie is convoluted mess with shallow characters, no discernible plot. The costumes and fight scenes at the end are pretty bad and to be honest the new Harley cartoon on DC is leagues better than this. Expand
Hckarl2000Feb 8, 2020
Not the best nor the worst DCEU movie I’ve ever seen but still a great movie.
GlottisVroomFeb 9, 2020
The characters are fun, especially the scene stealing Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Huntress. However, the script leaves us with a very thin plot and they use Margo Robby voice-overs as an exhaustive exposition machine. Perhaps a move in theThe characters are fun, especially the scene stealing Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Huntress. However, the script leaves us with a very thin plot and they use Margo Robby voice-overs as an exhaustive exposition machine. Perhaps a move in the right direction, but for fans of Harley Quinn I would recommend checking out her new cartoon on DC Universe, it is superior in every way! Expand
abm0Feb 8, 2020
Disappointing but not irredeemable.

Disappointing but not irredeemable.

The story was good enough to care about throughout, I had no problem with the flashbacks, visuals were fine, acting was good, the focus on female characters was done well, no hamfisted 'woke' nonsense, and ofc Robbie is great as Harley (as we could already see in Suicide Squad).

But.

The humor and a lot of the fight scenes... the best way I can put it is "almost decent", that's as polite as I can be. And for a "standard" comicbook story where violence is a central element, to have such bad fight scenes... big failure. Also, I was hoping to see far more about the Birds of Prey working together than the leftovers we got.

I really wanted to like this, I hoped there would be more juicy plot development based on her being "crazy" AND a psychiatrist, but this side of it was left almost completely untapped. Maybe next time, huh.
Vikn01776Feb 9, 2020
This was never gonna be great. Another movie meant solely as a 2 hour "Yaas queen"...and not in a good way. Whatever scores it gets, itll get a huge boost because of its subject matter. So if they say its great, its good. If they say itsThis was never gonna be great. Another movie meant solely as a 2 hour "Yaas queen"...and not in a good way. Whatever scores it gets, itll get a huge boost because of its subject matter. So if they say its great, its good. If they say its good, its average. If they say its average...it sucks. I 100% support female lead films with strong women and feminist ideals. This is the wrong way to do that. Basically an obnoxious screech instead of a film. Ghostbusters syndrome. Oceans 7 syndrome. mire films like Arrival and Annihilation. Making "girl power" the central theme of the movie is alwYs gonna lead to a bad dilm. Let the actors and their characters speak for themselves. This **** is pandering to the simplest of people. Expand
DiamondsteelFeb 6, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Though it was going to be bad, it was a good movie. I would have rated lower if Bruce died the way he did Expand
zmgalen2000Feb 12, 2020
Birds of Prey did not make me want to flee the theatre like an actual bird, per se, but I did not want to stay perched, either. The movie, though good fun and action-packed, was nothing shy of a classic DC movie. With a majority of the plotBirds of Prey did not make me want to flee the theatre like an actual bird, per se, but I did not want to stay perched, either. The movie, though good fun and action-packed, was nothing shy of a classic DC movie. With a majority of the plot being spoiled in the marketing, Birds of Prey does not pack the punch it is capable of delivering. Plus, the messy, time-jumping structure of the narrative is not only convoluting but also immature and unnecessary. There were certainly moments of badassery and fun, but the rest was nothing but cringe and a weak(ish) plot. Expand
GLADIADORFeb 10, 2020
Filme mais ou menos, assistir na pre, o vilão é muito ruim as piadas não funcionaram comigo, a unica coisa boa é a margot robbie como arlequina, fora que o nome do filme não faz sentido nenhum ate o final do filme, deveria se chama ARLEQUINAFilme mais ou menos, assistir na pre, o vilão é muito ruim as piadas não funcionaram comigo, a unica coisa boa é a margot robbie como arlequina, fora que o nome do filme não faz sentido nenhum ate o final do filme, deveria se chama ARLEQUINA E A PARTICIPAÇÃO ESPECIAL DAS AVES DE RAPINA, por fala nas aves de rapina você não se importa com nenhuma delas fora a arlequina, não é um filme ruim, mas esta longe de ser bom Expand
theredskyFeb 12, 2020
Birds of Prey is the perfect definition of fun yet still mediocre. It has its own style and stays consistent with it for the most part except for some areas but unfortunately falls into the forgettable yet fun comic book movie. TheBirds of Prey is the perfect definition of fun yet still mediocre. It has its own style and stays consistent with it for the most part except for some areas but unfortunately falls into the forgettable yet fun comic book movie. The performances from everyone besides Margot Robbie and Ewan McGregor were decent. There wasn’t anything special about their performances but they did the best with what they had. Margot Robbie is fun as Harley Quinn. She knows how to make the character work and she is easily the best part of the film. Ewan McGregor is hilariously over the top. He always takes each role he has with as much energy as he possibly can and it was always entertaining to see him on screen. The worst part though is that Margot Robbie is the only character who is developed. Everyone else is just there. They have little to no characterization which reduces their impact to the events of the film. Ewan McGregor’s character is evil just to be evil. We don’t get a lot of information about why he is evil, he just is. Mary Elizabeth Winstead’s character has the second most amount of backstory but it feels forced plus I didn’t really care that much about any of the supporting characters. An ongoing problem I have been noticing with the films I have seen this year is their respective scripts. Out of the three films I have seen, this has the “best” script but it was still pretty weak. Some of the lines of dialogue are very forced and the jokes are inserted in the same forced way. I felt only a small handful of jokes, such as the Harley voted for Bernie joke, were funny while all the others felt forced or just weren’t that funny to me. The film’s visuals were engaging and interesting. The presentation of the film never felt bland to me. It was always colorful and appeasing. The action is mostly well done. The police station action sequence is pretty awesome but it gets interrupted halfway through by narration which goes into another flashback sequence for about 20-30 minutes. That annoyed me because I was enjoying this badass action sequence and it got interrupted. The film does this at certain points and it can get confusing but I eventually got used to it. Overall, Birds of Prey is a dumb fun comic book movie with fun action and good performances from Ewan McGregor and Margot Robbie but the script and limited to no characterization take away from the experience. Expand
RtmitchellFeb 8, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Literally just a bog standard action movie with characters slightly reminiscent of those in DC's universes. A few of the jokes landed but they were overshadowed by the forced wackiness. The film isn't about the "Birds of Prey" but about Harley Quinn. False advertising that seems designed to bank on the good will of the comics to drag loyal fans in to a movie they don't want to see. I enjoyed it more than suicide squad but wish it just admitted to being a colourful action movie and didn't pretend to be something it isn't. Expand
AsclepiusFeb 10, 2020
This movie surprised me. It was better than I thought it was going to be, due to the fact that I've always thought both Jared Leto and Margot Robbie were miscast as the duo. While I still believe she's wrong for the role, Robbie isThis movie surprised me. It was better than I thought it was going to be, due to the fact that I've always thought both Jared Leto and Margot Robbie were miscast as the duo. While I still believe she's wrong for the role, Robbie is nonetheless an excellent actor and she gives us a serviceable Harley Quinn.

HQ is not a complex character. DC seems to put together its best movies when it capitalizes on complexity. She's hot, crazy, fun, dangerous -- but not complicated. That said, the writers did an excellent job with the script, and I appreciated the points where they weren't afraid to poke fun at themselves for the inclusion of an 80's cop cliche.

Still, pacing was a problem and I never got the sense that we were seeing enough character development to justify the slow parts of the movie. The action sequences were all entertaining and very well done.

I wish they hadn't decided to push for an "R" rating. The swearing and the next-level violence seemed gratuitous, lending nothing to further the characters or the plot. Whereas JOKER demanded it, this film does not.

For what it is -- a fun comic book romp based on static characters -- I enjoyed it, but I won't be prioritizing a second viewing.
FabioSilva17Feb 8, 2020
This is not a superheroe movie, its kind of like a GTA story transformed into a movie, there's some fun here, if you like a pretty girl kicking some ass but nothing else.
Visuals are good, story is meh.
XxpumpimxXFeb 11, 2020
La película mas predecible que puede haber, la trama muy simple con demaciado feminismo y personajes, unidad forzados realmente me aburri
DaKirillFeb 12, 2020
Not that bad, I was expecting something awful and instead I got a quite fun action/comedy/absurd movie to watch in a theater with someone. But well, honestly it could have gotten better with a more complex scenario. The actors do the job wellNot that bad, I was expecting something awful and instead I got a quite fun action/comedy/absurd movie to watch in a theater with someone. But well, honestly it could have gotten better with a more complex scenario. The actors do the job well there, I have no complaint for that. Expand
mrc_brnFeb 17, 2020
OK movie that I wanted to like considerably more than I did. Lackluster story, lackluster villain and not enough smarts. But Harley is played with contagious energy and there were a few chuckles here and there. There were some elements there,OK movie that I wanted to like considerably more than I did. Lackluster story, lackluster villain and not enough smarts. But Harley is played with contagious energy and there were a few chuckles here and there. There were some elements there, but the whole left me wanting. Expand
Rebecca31Feb 17, 2020
Birds of Prey turned out to be the kind of movie Suicide Squad should have been. Fun, violent with a snappy script and the cast all having one hell of a good time. If you want something a bit lighter after awards season then join Harley QuinnBirds of Prey turned out to be the kind of movie Suicide Squad should have been. Fun, violent with a snappy script and the cast all having one hell of a good time. If you want something a bit lighter after awards season then join Harley Quinn and the Birds of Prey on a fantabulous crime filled ride.

Harley and the Joker have broken up (yes that does mean Jared Leto will not be anywhere in sight, relax). After an unlikely series of events Harley Quinn teams up with Black Canary (Jurnee Smollett-Bell), Huntress (Mary Elizabeth Winstead) and Renee Montoya (Rosie Perez) to rescue a young girl, Cassandra Cain (Ella Jay Basco) from an evil crime lord. Enter Ewan McGregor as evil crime lord Roman Sionis and his trusty henchman/personal serial killer Victor Zsasz (Chris Messina). Did you get all that? One of Suicide Squad's only redeeming qualities was Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn. She was the only character with any real development, not only likable but you can sympathize with her even when she's doing all kinds of mad things. Birds of Prey expands on this further only this time you've got more female characters kicking ass and not just parading around in a pair of hot pants.

The stunts are straight out of a comic book or a video game, this is far from your serious, grounded in reality comic book movie. But it's over the top without introducing anything overly far-fetched like witches or a badly CGI half man half crocodile. The action and stunts are ludicrous, particularly anything happening in the third act but hopefully you'll be too busy having a good time to notice. And if that wasn't enough, Birds of Prey also has a hyena and Ewan McGregor doing a full on 60's Batman villain performance. Seriously all that was missing was the "POW" "SNAP" "BAM" colourful bubbles whenever he's onscreen throwing a hissy fit or attempting to be menacing. It's totally bonkers from start to finish. If you enjoy comic book movies at all then be sure to check out Birds of Prey: and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn.
JokohamaFeb 15, 2020
Not really impressive. Tedious characters and sleepy story. This movie contribute nothing to DC universe now.
SoulWarfareFeb 8, 2020
Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) is the eighth film in the DCEU and probably contender for one of the longest titles ever for a film. Despite the film being called Birds of Prey, which was a team compriseBirds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) is the eighth film in the DCEU and probably contender for one of the longest titles ever for a film. Despite the film being called Birds of Prey, which was a team comprise of women superheroes,this film is really a Harley Quinn movie. The movie is even narrated and told in the perspective of Harley Quinn. They probably should've called the movie Harley Quinn and friends. I loved Margot Robbie as Harley Quinn from Suicide Squad despite how garbage that movie was so it is great to see her star in her own film.

One of the things I loved about this movie was the fact that it gave a relatively realistic portrayal of Harley Quinn dealing with the breakup with Joker. She didn't just move on straight away, she swallowed herself in sadness and anger before accepting her new self. I also have to praise the rest of the cast and characters as well. Jurnee Smollett-Bell shines as Black Canary by giving a badass women character and Mary Elizabeth Winstead for giving a ferocious performance as Huntress. It is a real shame however, that for a film called Birds of Prey, we don't actually to get see much of the "Birds of Prey". Ewan Mcgregor gives a great performance as Black Mask despite how poorly written the character is. There is honestly nothing about Black Mask, he is just a typical ass villain with no depth to himself whatever or even genuine motivation or backstory. He wants power and diamonds and that is all there is to him. On the other hand, despite the small screentime Chris Messina is able to give a fair amount of character towards the secondary villain Victor Zsasz. This is based on a source material so I have to give a nod to the fact that the character of Cassandra Cain played by Ella Jay Basco is butchered and kind of pathetic. Movies of course don't have to be the same as the source material and the change to the character was necessary for Harley Quinn and the story they were telling. However, there is no really stand out moments from Cassandra Cain with the only memorable thing was stealing and getting saved all the time. A shame really.

Despite the relatively lower budget of this film compared to typical superhero movies, the action scenes are phenomenal and well choreographed. Additionally, the soundtrack is unique and adds towards the movie. The movie also has a great visual style with colourful sets and storytelling with a chaotic order that adds to Harley's character. Still, the screenplay is not great honestly. Some of the dialogue are quite cheesy,generic or lacking in genuine banter between the characters. By the end of the film, I didn't really feel like the bond between these characters were earned or should even exist. I also think it should be noted that this is a feminist film and it really shows. For example, there is not even remotely one good male character in this entire film. It really pushes the women power message straight in your face which could have been done a little better.

Nevertheless, despite the flaws, this movie continues to be a step in the right direction for the DCEU and I hope Warner Bros continues to maintain and exceed this quality of superhero movies. To anyone reading this, I recommend giving this movie a watch because even if there are some issues with the movie, you will still come out feeling that you had a good time.
Z-R1NFeb 18, 2020
The best thing about this movie is that it's currently underperforming. This film fails in the most blatantest way of being a Birds of Prey film. In fact, I highly doubt this film was intended to be a birds of prey film. let's cut the ****The best thing about this movie is that it's currently underperforming. This film fails in the most blatantest way of being a Birds of Prey film. In fact, I highly doubt this film was intended to be a birds of prey film. let's cut the **** this was meant to be an attempt of making a deadpool style film for harley quinn, but chose to call it a birds of prey film to get the fans of the birds of prey group comics. I'm truly surprised people act like this films was good when it so blatantly lies to people. Expand
imtheonlytyeFeb 15, 2020
I was hoping to like this movie, I love Harley Quinn, but they went way over the top to hate men and it was annoying. They made basically every man misogynistic and stupid, and they just HAD to have a scene of a dude trying to seduce a girlI was hoping to like this movie, I love Harley Quinn, but they went way over the top to hate men and it was annoying. They made basically every man misogynistic and stupid, and they just HAD to have a scene of a dude trying to seduce a girl nonconsensually, and then another girl comes to save the day and beats the guy up. LMAO! Incredibly cliche. Movies like these are always bad. You don't need to put down another gender using feminism to make a good movie. You can easily make a good movie whilst having feminism. Why do you think Wonder Woman did so well? Because it wasn't all in your face "girl power". It was, this is a powerful human, who happens to be a woman, who knows she's powerful and kicks ass, as a superhero does. She didn't need to prove it at all because we already knew. I loved Harley, she was almost perfect, but the other characters were the ones that were really trying to 'prove' their power unintentionally, it seemed. And they ruined Black Mask. I ended up walking out at the scene when Black Mask and his crew tries to ambush all the women. Such a disappointment. Expand
AkuzaFeb 18, 2020
The visual effects, camera work and stunt work is really well done, it's just a shame the script wasn't. This really is not a "birds of prey" film, probably why they've changed the name in certain countries to "harley quinn and the birds ofThe visual effects, camera work and stunt work is really well done, it's just a shame the script wasn't. This really is not a "birds of prey" film, probably why they've changed the name in certain countries to "harley quinn and the birds of prey" It has issues beyond this though, going into mcgregors character being just horrible throughout, with some questionable "character development", being the bad guy for no reason other than to be a small plot device, with the things he does just to make the "man" appear to be the bad guy, rather unnecessarily too when it is obvious he is a bad guy with him cutting off people's faces. The film links in with 1 film, suicide squad, you don't have to have watched suicide squad to understand this film since harley explains everything in the first 5 minutes and subsequently everything in the film every 15 minutes or so. I would say give it a watch whenever it lands on netflix just for the fight scenes, but otherwise give it a miss. Expand
BeniwashereFeb 13, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Too much storyline and nonsense at all. A little bit boring to watch. Worth the money? Definitely not. I don’t recommend it tbh! Expand
ejshawFeb 16, 2020
The movie has some good choreography and a few laughs but the story is incredibly thin, the interesting characters are pushed and and not well established or fleshed out, the villain had a lot of potential but was incredibly underwhelming andThe movie has some good choreography and a few laughs but the story is incredibly thin, the interesting characters are pushed and and not well established or fleshed out, the villain had a lot of potential but was incredibly underwhelming and came with a seriously disappointing ending. It focuses too much on harley quinn however her character is explored more in a better way than in suicide squad. With a couple funny moments, a lot of the jokes fall short. The movie is just overall disappointing especially to people who are fans of these characters. Expand