Universal Pictures | Release Date: April 13, 2018
Mixed or average reviews based on 145 Ratings
Watch Now
Buy on
NightReviewsApr 19, 2018
Imagine if Willem Dafoe and Jack Nicholson’s the Joker had a baby and was captured with that disturbing and oddly sinister SnapChat filter that embellishes your mouth. Now imagine that offspring haunted and followed you around declaring youImagine if Willem Dafoe and Jack Nicholson’s the Joker had a baby and was captured with that disturbing and oddly sinister SnapChat filter that embellishes your mouth. Now imagine that offspring haunted and followed you around declaring you choose “Truth or Dare” in a twisted game of survival, untimely death and mutilation. Well, if you’ve pictured that perfectly in your head, then you’ve visualized the type of disturbing and demonic visions torturing a young group of teenagers who have played a deadly game of truth or dare in Mexico. Aside from the film adding to a long list of reasons why young teenage Canadians should NOT visit Mexico during spring/march break, Truth Or Dare is the latest low-budget horror film to come out of the infamous and highly profitable Blumhouse production house, spearheaded by Jason Blum.

Blum, who has gained quite the reputation in Hollywood for profiting big on low-budget horror films for the last decade, on film series like The Purge, Paranormal Activity, Insidious, Sinister as well as the extremely well received and Oscar winning film Get Out, seems to still has a soft spot for B-level teenage horror films based on simple premises.

With his latest, Truth or Dare, a film that was pitched just from its title and an opening scene that was thought-up of on the spot between director Jeff Wadlow and Blum in a meeting room, Blum surely doesn’t intend on showing much originality or any intent on following up with his highly praised Get Out, even if Truth or Dare doesn’t even compare to his last film Happy Death Day, a fun film that spins the very familiar Groundhog Day narrative motif on its head, adding the right amount of blood and gore.

“Do the dare, or you die. Tell the truth, or you die” are really all the rules you need to know when it comes to the game, although the game does make its own rules as the film progresses, making it really hard for Olivia (Lucy Hale), Lucas (Tyler Posey), Markie (Violett Beane) and Brad (Hayden Szet0) to come out of the game with their lives.

While many of the truths that are revealed between the young group of friends, there isn’t much revealed that would be worth losing your life over. Sure, there are some confessions of crushes surfacing, as well as sexual preferences being forcefully admitted to and true loves being named, but other than that, the stakes of their virtues and truth really aren’t that menacing. Director Jeff Wadlow, who has had experience in the horror genre with his much better debut feature film Cry Wolf, shows the lack of originality and the dependency of jump scares and cheap thrills that fall flat.

While I have always been terrified of menacing faces, the demon Calax, who is possessing this group of teenagers, shaping their faces to those eerie smiles, is lacklustre at best. Looking more like a cheap SnapChat filter, the frights (like the $3.5 million budget) are low in Truth or Dare. While I dare you to find any real character development in these paper thin teenagers who suffer from what would be the definition of ‘first-world problems’, one cannot help but noticed just how daringly bland Truth or Dare really is. Taking cues from previous horror films whose main demonic entity is completely invisible, like The Final Destination series and dare I say the immaculate It Follows, Truth or Dare seems to emulate too much without offering much else to the genre. Most of all, not that anyone was expecting a film like this to be an Oscar contender in 2019, but these types of films rely heavily on one of its most important qualities, and that is being a fun time at the movies. But like any crappy dare you need to fulfill, watching Truth Or Dare is more of a chore than a pleasure.

Truth Or Dare is teenage horror fare looking to cash in on mediocre first week numbers, and a film that will quickly disappear without ever being remembered. Hypocritical from start to finish, boasting way too much exposition from the opening scenes in Mexico to an ending that was way too sinister for its own good (which also one of the few redeeming factors of the film), Truth Or Dare is a film that we hope doesn’t inspire a horror film franchise series aptly titled “spin the bottle” or “seven seconds in heaven”.
Naruto78909Apr 13, 2018
Truth or dare is a generic horror film it brings nothing new or unique and there much better movies out now
BrianMcCriticJul 19, 2018
A horror movie that is easily one of the best comedies of the year. From the first 5 minutes you begin to get the feel for the type of writing you're going to get and one word it's horrendous. None of the characters matter and are terribleA horror movie that is easily one of the best comedies of the year. From the first 5 minutes you begin to get the feel for the type of writing you're going to get and one word it's horrendous. None of the characters matter and are terrible human beings going from one death to another without a blink of the eye. Finally the film wraps up with one of the most obsurd ideas. A hilarious disaster!! F Expand
SEROJAug 30, 2018
Don't waste your time, its valuable. This movie was one of the dumbest i've ever seen.
SrPepeApr 17, 2018
Una peli para ver una vez sola, muchos conceptos repetitivos pero tiene un gran final inesperado. Es como la combinación mala entre Destino Final y Nerve.
thedaywalkerApr 21, 2018
Even for it's genre it's still terrible. Relies os cheap jump scares, and the script is all over the place, so many inconsistencies with the characters. If you want to make a cheap teen horror flick, you can still make it good. KillingEven for it's genre it's still terrible. Relies os cheap jump scares, and the script is all over the place, so many inconsistencies with the characters. If you want to make a cheap teen horror flick, you can still make it good. Killing characters for the sake of it, will not make the movie better, maybe try and make know the character that is about to be killed off. This movie doesn't really run away from any cliches what so ever, and it really fails miserably Expand
AriaSalessiApr 13, 2018
Unfortunately unlike Happy Death Day. Truth or Dare isn't capable of creating a cheesy and simple plot into something entertaining. The scariest part of the film was how long it lasted and the ignorant decisions made by the characters.
mijxeroApr 12, 2019
I accidentally watched the other Truth or Dare movie that came out really close to this one. I thought it was bad, but in a so bad its good way. This one is so bad ... that, well it's just bad. Without spoilers, it is just full ofI accidentally watched the other Truth or Dare movie that came out really close to this one. I thought it was bad, but in a so bad its good way. This one is so bad ... that, well it's just bad. Without spoilers, it is just full of unlikable characters, a curse that has inconsistent rules, and a terrible ending that goes against a character's nature. The "scary" effects look like a bad instagram filter, and a character even says that line in the movie. I have seen worse I guess, but I really wasted 1hr30min. Expand
justwibiAug 19, 2018
for the first time i watched horror/thriller with the most selfish main character ever! wait til the end of the movie!!
EpicLadySpongeJul 25, 2018
You want a real Truth or Dare movie? You want one that is in the horror genre for no specific reason whatsoever and has little to no scares in it? You want a movie just to have Truth or Dare in its title in order to force its audience to seeYou want a real Truth or Dare movie? You want one that is in the horror genre for no specific reason whatsoever and has little to no scares in it? You want a movie just to have Truth or Dare in its title in order to force its audience to see it? I have one thing to say. I dare you to not watch this completely garbage film. Expand
voxottoJul 1, 2018
I thoroughly regret watching this, my friends told me it isn't worth the time. I should have listened to them. Seems that the first 15 to 20 minutes of the movie doesn't have any point at all, the killing is boring for a movie like this. TheI thoroughly regret watching this, my friends told me it isn't worth the time. I should have listened to them. Seems that the first 15 to 20 minutes of the movie doesn't have any point at all, the killing is boring for a movie like this. The plot doesn't make sense at times.
Skip this one it isn't worth it.
robertoiglesiasApr 27, 2018
Is it me or is Hollywood purposely making stupid horror movies these days? Truth or Dare lacks a lot of development and is very lazy.
JLuis_001May 12, 2018
Mainstream horror is on life support. If anybody gets scared with this, well... some things are better left unsaid.
sgy0003Apr 13, 2018
Oh great, another horror movie starring bunch of young people in their 20's. It's not like that's been done before....

In all seriousness, the characters feel bland and the whole premise feels not as threating as something like Saw movies.

If you have time go see this, just go see A Quiet Place instead. It has far better characters, build-ups, and tension.
Rebecca31Apr 15, 2018
Truth or Dare had me resisting the urge to jab a pen into my eye and slam my head against a wall. I wanted all the main characters to die within the first five minutes but unfortunately this dragged on for a never-ending hour and fortyTruth or Dare had me resisting the urge to jab a pen into my eye and slam my head against a wall. I wanted all the main characters to die within the first five minutes but unfortunately this dragged on for a never-ending hour and forty minutes. It couldn't even manage to get into the "so bad it's good" category. It's not funny, it's not entertaining, there's no tension, no surprises and it brings absolutely nothing new to the genre rendering it completely useless. The idea for Truth or Dare was stupid and I feel stupid just for watching it.

A group of totally American teens go on spring break in Mexico cause it's spring break y'all and you can bet these best friends are gonna party hard for their very last spring break ever. Well long story short they wind up playing a game of truth or dare in this super dodgy abandoned church with a super shifty looking stranger and well it ain't your ordinary game of truth or dare. No it's possessed cause reasons and now they have to keep playing or else they die. The have to tell the truth or else they die and they have to complete the dare or else they die. But they can't just die and get it over with, they have to pull this creepy demonic grin and put on a scary voice. If you've seen the trailer then you know what I mean and if you haven't well just go ahead and skip it because there is no way this movie is worth anyone's time or money. Settle down for a series of truths and dares that get increasingly more embarrassing and dangerous in order to kill as many people as possible in more and more gruesome ways. Well as gruesome as a 15 rating will allow. Now don't be fooled by the quote on the poster, the producer of Get Out and Happy Death Day means absolutely nothing. Bland and boring to the point of insanity. Not recommended. Skip this rubbish but if you're really in the mood for a horror check out A Quiet Place or Ghost Stories instead.
Minh18121999Apr 13, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Is this movie a horror or a comedy??One can only say,this movie is f**king awful. I laughed so hard in the theater because it was so stupid and hilarious. And OMFG every jump scare scene in this movie was so laughable.Spoiler Warning with the ending:
At the end of the movie,Lucy Hale decides to make a YouTube video where she asks everyone watching Truth or Dare, which causes everyone who watches it to be a part of the game and get visited by the smile Snapchat filter. Since you only have to play the game once everyone other player has already gone, Lucy Hale would basically never have to go again at the cost of millions of people dying.
IS THIS A REAL MOVIE???
The3AcademySinsApr 16, 2018
I didn't spend a cent to see Blumhouse's Truth or Dare, and I still feel ripped off. It's so-bad-it's-good levels of filmmaking, and nothing about this plot makes sense. The ending is stupid and uninspired. The jump scares are ridiculous andI didn't spend a cent to see Blumhouse's Truth or Dare, and I still feel ripped off. It's so-bad-it's-good levels of filmmaking, and nothing about this plot makes sense. The ending is stupid and uninspired. The jump scares are ridiculous and way too over-the-top. The advertising for this movie is misleading, especially when it advertises that Truth or Dare was made by "the producers of Get Out and Happy Death Day." What a load of rubbish! I had some good laughs in the theater, but please do not see this movie. If you want to see something really scary, go see A Quiet Place instead. If you really want to see Truth or Dare, I recommend you pull up the trailer of Truth or Dare on YouTube, and watch it over and over again for an hour and forty minutes. It'll be more entertaining than the movie and give you about the same amount of scares. Expand
Davrosdaleks1Apr 16, 2018
I'm seeing a lot of bad reviews on this, and I think people are being way too critical. Don't get me wrong, this isn't the next "A Quiet Place" or "It." This is a PG-13 teen horror flick that shows a lot of sexy young adults being killed.I'm seeing a lot of bad reviews on this, and I think people are being way too critical. Don't get me wrong, this isn't the next "A Quiet Place" or "It." This is a PG-13 teen horror flick that shows a lot of sexy young adults being killed. It's goal is just to provide mindless, violent entertainment for a couple hours, and it serves its purpose well.

I've heard someone compare this to "Final Destination" and that's a pretty apt comparison. The driven force of this movie is some creative kills. The movie also keeps you guessing as to who meets the chopping block. I'm also a found of the weirdly distinctive smile effect the monster uses when it possesses people.

I've heard complaints about the script and characters, but I don't see that. I mean there's nothing here to write home to mom about, but I found the script, characters, and acting to be solid.
hardcorekiddApr 27, 2018
Olivia, Lucas and a group of their college friends travel to Mexico for one last getaway before graduation. While there, a stranger convinces one of the students to play a seemingly harmless game of truth or dare with the others. Once theOlivia, Lucas and a group of their college friends travel to Mexico for one last getaway before graduation. While there, a stranger convinces one of the students to play a seemingly harmless game of truth or dare with the others. Once the game starts, it awakens something evil -- a demon which forces the friends to share dark secrets and confront their deepest fears. The rules are simple but wicked -- tell the truth or die, do the dare or die, and if you stop playing, you die.
Really, just REALLY! Ugh! Truth or Dare's slick presentation isn't enough to make this mediocre horror outing much more frightening than an average round of the real-life game. Just, the idea of a horror movie based on a fun silly game to play with your friends is one of the stupidest ideas I have ever heard of. I'm going to give Blumhouse's Truth or Dare a F.
Nazario08Jun 29, 2018
O filme se desenvolve até que bem no início, porém se perde no meio da narrativa, criando lendas e folclores em cima da igreja católica. Este nos dá uma explicação bastante rasa e ridícula para tudo o que está acontecendo. Quando é descobertoO filme se desenvolve até que bem no início, porém se perde no meio da narrativa, criando lendas e folclores em cima da igreja católica. Este nos dá uma explicação bastante rasa e ridícula para tudo o que está acontecendo. Quando é descoberto o real motivo para todas as mortes e como pará-las, é simplesmente revoltante lembrar que você pagou para ter visto esta obra sem pé nem cabeça.

Creio que será mais um daqueles fracassos comerciais que será mandado para a Netflix. Talvez seja bom na visão de um idoso ou uma criança. (crítica by saga das músicas)
jtlatsApr 15, 2018
Did you like the movie It Follows? Then you'll like this one. Same basic concept as It Follows just the game Truth or Dare instead of sex. Seriously, people loved It Follows yet are hating on this movie. Why? It's entertaining for a movieDid you like the movie It Follows? Then you'll like this one. Same basic concept as It Follows just the game Truth or Dare instead of sex. Seriously, people loved It Follows yet are hating on this movie. Why? It's entertaining for a movie done on 3.5 million dollars. Totally worth seeing. Don't listen to the haters. Expand
marco34laApr 19, 2018
The critics and some fans are being way too harsh with this one. I went in with sub-zero expectations and can honestly say it was a decent typical teen horror flick. I've seen a lot worse!! It's definitely a solid 6. I gave it a 7 becauseThe critics and some fans are being way too harsh with this one. I went in with sub-zero expectations and can honestly say it was a decent typical teen horror flick. I've seen a lot worse!! It's definitely a solid 6. I gave it a 7 because some people were being way too critcal. Expand
BostjanMay 13, 2018
I don't understand why ppl hate this movie so much. I am not exaggerating when I say it has everything what a good horror/thriller movie needs. And the best par is the ending.. When you're sitting in your chair watching the movie, thinkingI don't understand why ppl hate this movie so much. I am not exaggerating when I say it has everything what a good horror/thriller movie needs. And the best par is the ending.. When you're sitting in your chair watching the movie, thinking you know how it will end, you are mistaken. It has great (and some predictable) twists and turns, but hey, which movie doesn't. I can honestly say it's underrated. Although we have already seen some horror films with the same title, this one takes a step higher and is definitely a need-to-see movie. Expand
tropicAcesMay 21, 2018
It’s trash, but it’s watchable trash. There are a (select) few moments of genuine tension and creativity, but just like NERVE (a far superior film), this could have benefited from being rated R and not copping out on the dares. I was neverIt’s trash, but it’s watchable trash. There are a (select) few moments of genuine tension and creativity, but just like NERVE (a far superior film), this could have benefited from being rated R and not copping out on the dares. I was never bored, but don’t confuse that for a passing grade. Expand
FatalBrushSep 3, 2018
A somewhat entertaining story with little thriller and horror. The movie had a couple of interesting twists, however, that's about it. The movie is quite moderate.
MrsDrStrangeAug 11, 2018
Awfull movie, untalented btch actrees, lucy still cant play. I don't know why it can come out. And it is still too much scole. Too much blind lucy fans out there.
WakeNarrativeJan 14, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Classic Party Game Gone Wrong - Worth the Watch: Everyone has played a game or 2 of Truth or Dare in their time; hopefully it never ended up like this movie. Lucy Hale plays Olivia, the beautiful, morally conscious college student. Her group of friends cancels her Habitat for Humanity spring break to force her to join them in Mexico. What could go wrong? You guessed it, they are led away from a bar to an abandoned mission building by a new friend, "Carter" and he offers up the idea to play a game of truth or dare for fun. After the game takes an emotional turn, "Carter" flees and admits to Olivia that the game is real and to follow the rules or you will die. Let the fun begin! Once back in the states, Olivia is the first to start seeing things. "Truth or Dare" appears to be written everywhere (or is it?). She heads to the library to find her friends and is surrounded by students with wicked smiles when she finally cracks. She exclaims "truth" and must reveal a secret. Unfortunately, she just yells the secret out loud and her friends are within earshot. However, the next victim of the game is not so lucky and selects "dare". When his dare is not completed, he is forced to fall off of a pool table, killing himself. Aha! The game is real, and you must follow the rules. Olivia and friends continue to take turns and unfortunately start dropping like flies. They must figure out how to end the game and stay alive. The solution is on the tip of their tongues! Did they stop the curse? Watch the movie or maybe you will think twice the next time you play the popular party game Truth or Dare!

Worst Dare: This one is hard, we're glad our dares only ended in pulling off someone's sock with our teeth, can't say the same for this version!

Worst Love Triangle - I like you but I don't love you, ouch that hurts. Don't worry Olivia, we're team Ezria anyway.

Best smile - or should we say creepiest - Calax the demon; stealing the faces of millions of unknowing souls. Overall Grade: A-
Faisal09May 16, 2019
NEW STORY AND IT’S amazing I Loved IT BUT THE ACTING WAS SOOOOO BAD AND THE DICTATOR WAS SO BADDD AND EVERYONE BEHIND THE CAMERA WERE SO BAD AT WORK BUT ITS A GOOD MOVIE 8/10
bfoore90Oct 20, 2019
An incredibly bad movie, The script and narrative are so convoluted and thrown together that it almost doesn't make sense. The characters all suck, the ones that are even remotely likable die and most of the actors don't even look like theAn incredibly bad movie, The script and narrative are so convoluted and thrown together that it almost doesn't make sense. The characters all suck, the ones that are even remotely likable die and most of the actors don't even look like the right age to be college students. Here's a truth: god forbid someone dares you to watch this **** movie Expand
temptershellApr 27, 2018
The idea is very simple but with great potential but the performance is almost tragic. Not so much weak visual effects (smile) as low level of acting and plot management. There are some good scenes but their number does not translate into aThe idea is very simple but with great potential but the performance is almost tragic. Not so much weak visual effects (smile) as low level of acting and plot management. There are some good scenes but their number does not translate into a whole. Wasted potential. Expand
MachineGunninerOct 31, 2020
Literally worst movie possible. Wtf was that.. the worst ending I have ever seen that totally ruin this whole terrible movie. I thought this might be been a parody or something
CineAutoctonoSep 13, 2018
"Truth or Dare" was a very bad movie, with a poor development of plot, premise very predictable and repetitive, and the performances were bad, although the idea made by Blumhouse was rescueable at times.
AproxxAug 17, 2018
It has plenty of great things, visually and story wise. The idea is awesome. But I don't agree with some decisions, plus some part of the production are clearly low quality.

For example. The exposition in the first act is embarrasingly bad.

For example. The exposition in the first act is embarrasingly bad. Just AWFUL.

Then you have complete scenes that are basically identical. Literally the characters do the same thing they did before, but with new information.

The acting is quite bad, but not worse than most of these movies.

And the "personal" plot of the story (the relationships between characters) are beyond repetitive. Its INSANE how they go around the same things over and over and over with every little bit of new information that we (they) discover.

But I can't deny that it has some amazing concepts. It works on a meta level. It works as a metaphor of some things that happened (and happens) in our world too. So. Its fine. I would normaly give this movie a five (mediocre, which is ok and not a waste of time), but some things bothered me too much.
bartalexDec 25, 2018
La verdad que es una pelicula de verla una sola vez
Muy lenta en ciertos momentos y sin sentido
El final bastante decepcionante.
BroyaxDec 7, 2018
Un mélange de SAW et de Destination Finale pour notre bande de jeunes cons qui se retrouvent à l'insu de leur plein gré victimes d'un jeu mortel... C'est laborieux et ça ne tient pas la route malgré les efforts conjugués des 4 scénaristes !Un mélange de SAW et de Destination Finale pour notre bande de jeunes cons qui se retrouvent à l'insu de leur plein gré victimes d'un jeu mortel... C'est laborieux et ça ne tient pas la route malgré les efforts conjugués des 4 scénaristes !

Mais ça manque de morts violentes, ça manque de sadisme (cf SAW), ça manque de gore et ça manque de morts bien ridicules, celles qui faisaient le sel et l'amusement des Destinations Finales... Je serai tenté de dire qu'on ne s'ennuie pas trop mais ce ne serait pas la vérité... alors action ou vérité ? Vérité : on décroche rapidement malgré toute la bonne volonté du monde. Action : arrête le visionnage sous peine d'abrutissement total !

Film pour ados et adulescents complètement raté donc, inspiré d'un "jeu" (?) à l'origine complètement idiot pour jeunes amerloques très imbibés.
ViniciusBritoJul 1, 2018
This is definely not one of the best hits from Blumhouse Productions. I really liked the idea of this movie, but i don't think they could make it in it best way. About the plot of the movie, it is about some young adults that have their lastThis is definely not one of the best hits from Blumhouse Productions. I really liked the idea of this movie, but i don't think they could make it in it best way. About the plot of the movie, it is about some young adults that have their last vacation together and decide to make a nice trip to Mexico for have fun with eachother in partys and playing. The friends have like a love triangle, with situations with the relationship. On the last day of their vacations trip, an unknown face make a friendship with one of the characters and make all of the friends go to an old and abandoned church to play truth or dare, and some days after the end of the game they find out that they were cursed and that the game isn't really finished. They got cursed during the course of that night, and they are still being questioned if they want truth or dare, and whatever is chosen they need to go with it, otherwise they die.
I really liked the premise, i was very curious to see what they would do with this idea, and even with the final result doesn't reaching close what it could, i really had some fun watching it. I believe that they didn't had enough creativity to achieve level of scenes and dares that were really nice and could make us be more excited about what was going on, they got to stuck with the love triangle between those three friends and i didn't liked those characters and neither cared about their relationship enough to go in with this story, the focus in this love thing, for me, is one of the main reasons that i couldn't enjoy this as much as i wanted to, they didn't explored much about other areas, didn't had to be deep and stuff, but it wasn't much fun, the deaths were to simply and that face wasn't the best, but i liked it, it did make sense in the course of the story.
The acting is another complicated aspect about this movie, the actors, not just didn't had much to do, but the little that they had, i can't say that it was well succeeded, not just because of them but also the directing was complicated in this situation, for example, there are some characters that dies, remembering that they are all friends, in one scene they are kind of sad, in the very next scene it appears that they completed forgot about it and keeped whatever they were doing like nothing happened. I contrast Lucy Hale and Violett Beane, they were the most likeable characters, they really did a very good job compared to the rest of the cast, they could pass emotions and have some nice moments in a way that the others couldn't.
The movie have some solutions of script that is so dumb, that it seems wrong in so many ways that you may laugh of it, not just that, but also there are some dialogues that are so ridiculous, but also, in some moments may make you laugh.
They use the chekhov gun, and also does have a very nice plot twist at the end, that i really liked, it make me smile at the end, i though that was pretty cool, a nice solution.
The prologue was very interesting, it did gave us a little taste of what was going to happen. Fortunately it does gave me a little fun, during some dares i got interested in the situation and was cheering with the character.
The cinematography is very good, it does have a nice quality and it is very weel filmed.
The sound have some nice moments, no the music, the music is just useless here, but there is some moments that they use the soung combining with the camera movimentation that was pretty nice, the problem is that it happens one or two times.
During the movie they tried to scare you sometimes, and in some of these i really felt bad for them, they couldn't even get close to scary me, and i'm sure that it is really hard for someone to get scared or jump in fright here, they couldn't make one nice jump scare, and they tried, in the most cliche ways, but they did.
The movie is fun, you can have some nice moments with it, durin the course of some dare it is enjoyable, the scrip have bad solutions, the dialogues aren't the best, the characters are mostly not very interesting and they focused in what they souldn't, but it is still fun for some nice hour and a half of a interesting and curious premise.
BeastJ18Apr 22, 2018
Hilarious. Fails on all levels, editing, direction, acting, writing. It takes itself too seriously for what a mess it is. Simply hilarious.
All4myannsJul 1, 2018
It was an okay movie. Not the best, or the worst, just okay. A few predictable moments.
benskylerhillApr 26, 2018
Truth or Dare is an absolute comedic gem. It's been a very long time since I laughed so hard in a movie theater. It fails at just about everything it tries to do, but it succeeds at one thing and one thing only: entertainment value.

This

This movie completely wastes its potential-filled premise. The concept of people being trapped in a game that will inevitably get them killed but it's only a matter of time as of when it happens? That's a truly terrifying premise, and it is not fulfilled in any way by completely asinine storytelling. The coherence of the plot is dependent upon all of the characters both main and minor making unfathomably idiotic decisions that inevitably cause all of the unnecessary deaths. In addition to that, every conflict that is ever raised throughout the story is solved by convenient coincidence and nothing more.

First of all, the characters are all set out to be people that are not worth caring about: they're overly sensitive, incapable of understanding the feelings of those around them, selfish, spoiled, and/or just flat-out stupid. The main character is shown to be the only somewhat sensible one, but by the end of the movie even she ends up violating everything she has claimed to stand for thus far. The filmmakers expect the audience to care about the gradual deaths of everyone in this group of friends, but instead I ended up rooting for them all to die.

All of the "horror" that the filmmakers try to provide relies completely and solely upon cheap, predictable jump scares that are all identical: the sound goes quiet, a character turns around and suddenly there's a loud noise and a person standing next to them with a creepy smirk on their face. The editing in this movie is terrible as well. It tries too hard for its PG-13 rating by cutting choppily away from death scenes in a jerky, uncomfortable fashion.

Lucy Hale really does give it her all, but every other performance in this film is just awkward and insincere. And Hale is definitely not helped by a script that surely had parts of it written by a group of juvenile middle schoolers. But despite all of this, I am really glad I saw Truth or Dare. I was thoroughly entertained the entire time I watched it because it was so unintentionally hilarious. All of the tension feels so fake, one can't help but laugh at its absurdity. The dialogue is filled with so much cheese, you could cut it with a knife and laugh hysterically while doing it. The only reason this film doesn't get a lower score from me is because I actually would recommend seeing it. That's right. PLEASE GO SEE BLUMHOUSE'S TRUTH OR DARE. And go see it with friends, because you won't be able to stop talking about and laughing at it for quite some time.

Story: 3
Acting: 2
Script: 1
Visuals/Sound: 2
Entertainment Value: 8

MY RATING: 3.2/10
ChristopherEMJun 28, 2018
La película Verdad o Retos está llena de historias clichés, lo único que salva esta peli y la destaca es el final, probablemnte ya sabíamos cómo terminaría, pues no fue así. La participación de actores como Lucy Hale y Tyler Posey sonLa película Verdad o Retos está llena de historias clichés, lo único que salva esta peli y la destaca es el final, probablemnte ya sabíamos cómo terminaría, pues no fue así. La participación de actores como Lucy Hale y Tyler Posey son geniales, sin embargo, nada que ya hubiésemos visto antes. Expand
JakobkrossJun 13, 2018
Honestly I would have gone lower but I raised the score because it is so unintentionally funny. My buddy and I were having a bast watching this! We sat in the back because we went in thinking of it as a comedy and didn't want to interruptHonestly I would have gone lower but I raised the score because it is so unintentionally funny. My buddy and I were having a bast watching this! We sat in the back because we went in thinking of it as a comedy and didn't want to interrupt anyones "experience" of the film. I'm in the middle for how I feel on it. Its so unintentionally funny from the atrocious acting and cgi smile faces. The story is a little interesting and the jump scares are always false, which is what I hate about these type of horror movies. I think this movie is so funny I would like to pick up the "UNRATED" Director's cut on Blu-ray because I am just so interested in seeing what they thought was so bad for a PG-13 film. If you can laugh ad make fun of acting, garbage cgi, and stupid concepts then please rent this movie and pick up the right friends and watch this unintentionally hilarious flick. Expand
Vitor007Sep 2, 2018
It's not terrible or awful, but it's not even close to what we thought. Poorly explained screenplay, with points that leads us to understand where the film takes us. The conclusion brings little credibility to the whole story, taking away allIt's not terrible or awful, but it's not even close to what we thought. Poorly explained screenplay, with points that leads us to understand where the film takes us. The conclusion brings little credibility to the whole story, taking away all the excitement of the public. It's not bad, but it's far from good. 4.6/10 Expand
meydianarizki21Oct 30, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. .You'll never get the time you spent watching this movie back.

There is no way to really articulate the exact place where this movie went wrong, other than to say that it did.

It lacks the redeeming qualities of some of Blumhouse's other outings: it isn't as charming as Happy Death Day was; it's not a socially aware as Get Out or the Purge franchise; it doesn't have unique techniques the original Paranormal Activity or Unfriended did. While most of those movies have things that are wrong with them (as most movies do), they also had something that made them worth watching. After struggling to find its footing, Truth or Dare had little to nothing redeeming about it. What you're left with is a largely unsatisfying narrative with skewed (and uncharacteristic) character motivations culminating in a fairly predictable climax and then quickly falling from there to a conclusion that - while somewhat elver in its execution - made the film that much more frustrating.

In short: It feels a lot like any other teen slasher flick. They just put a different spin on things and then marketed the hell out of it.

If you're looking for something more than shallow and undeveloped characters finding an interesting way to get themselves into trouble that they can't manage to ever get out of played by B-list stars who couldn't find anything else to do after the end of their TV careers, you will be sorely disappointed. But if you're looking for strained diversity in a cast with zero emotional depth or chemistry, headed by two skinny white women - this is the movie for you. If you want petty relationship drama, alcohol abuse, bullying, scenes on a "college campus", the occasional promise of gore/blood/or anything that might actually be considered scary (followed by the subsequent disappointment in camera angels destined to keep the film PG-13), and jump scares - this movie is for you.

It really isn't for everyone, and while we can respect that there's an audience out there somewhere that might appreciate it for what it is, we know it could've been a lot better and feel justifiably disappointed that they didn't seem to try.

Featuring: Some weird facial contortions that undercut the film even further, if that was even possible.
qqiwkqaqwNov 23, 2018
No no, please, no, good the idea to realize an horror of a new "genre", but this movie it's a disaster!
CityOfGeekDec 14, 2018
So my wife and I were interested in this flick from the first trailer. Not that we thought it would be good. But it looked so awfully silly. We finally got around to watching it now as we wanted to save it until we were drunk. And we are. AndSo my wife and I were interested in this flick from the first trailer. Not that we thought it would be good. But it looked so awfully silly. We finally got around to watching it now as we wanted to save it until we were drunk. And we are. And we just finished this movie.

We finally have a movie that dares to ask the question: what if It Follows was stupid? We have kind of the same set up. A young woman is involuntarily given a curse (but who volunteers for one?) that follows her now that she is part of it. Low rent Daniel Radcliffe (not the real guy; but must have looked close enough as my wife and I both said “Daniel Radcliffe” at the same time) gets her to follow him to an abandoned mission in Mexico while on spring break. She drags along a group of boring and/or annoying friends from her college into the game who are stuck in it as well. The game rotates among her friends asking them “Truth or Dare” and they act on it, or die. I’m reminded of Final Destination in that way (even down to a survivor a previous game making a safe house where nothing can bother him like the survivors of the first of that underrated series of flicks. **** yeah I love Final Destination.) Except without the Rube Goldberg type fun of the dispatching. This is PG-13 horror, which can often work in the right way, but here just sets up a very basic kill that’s over without an fanfare. Often bloodless and without any interest. Instead of blood, we get an extreme overuse of a twisted face asking “truth or dare.” It’s like “the Kubrick face.” Like Jason Blum bought a cool Kubrick shot filter for his snapchat and decided to get the most out of the buck. Yes, you don’t buy filters on Snapchat, or at least you didn’t last time I used it like two years ago. But dammit, I had a joke and I used it. Like the stupid filter. Anyway, where was I? Oh yes, blood and kills.

lucy-hale-truth-or-dare-1523467103

Prepare to see that filter many many times.

We did watch the “unrated” cut which added, according to the back of the DVD, just less of a minute to the movie. It certainly didn’t add anything to tame deaths. Nor did it add any language. We think it was the butt shot of the main woman (Lucy Hale from Pretty Little Liars). There is a scene where the game makes her have sex with a friend. He doesn’t want to really either so it’s a weird to have the game make them commit sexual assault against each other. The camera angle in said shot should have some side-boob but weirdly does not. Outside of the obvious oddness of edits for PG-13 or butt-crack unrated; there are many scenes where it seems like things would continue but they end. Oddly enough, often not just for blood and gore. There is a subplot with one character afraid to come out to his dad. The game makes him, but both times he has to talk to dad, the scene ends. No resolution. Brad is like “my dad’s cool with it.” but it’s just weird. Like dad shows up after the coming out and Brad says “gonna talk to my dad a bit. I’ll catch up later.” and we’re now later. What? Weird. Also weird, the lighting in this film. Everytime they were in day time, the light blew out the windows. All the light bulbs caused, not lens flares but lines across the frame. Very distracting. Stop blinding out your own movie. The lighting oddity mistakes were more interesting than your characters, man.

This is all very lame. Kinda a waste of a drunk stupid-movie night. This isn’t nearly as directly and blind-blowingly stupid as Slenderman. Now THAT was a mess. I wish I didn’t watch that one sober. This was often just dull. With 4 credited screenwriters, I expected more of entertainingly bad, instead they wrote a just dull enough flick. Sure we laughed at the stupid, but wanted more of it. No doubt this was BAD. But not really the fun kind. Everyone was just so bland. I didn’t hate the characters and actively wanted them to die, but nor did I care for them in anyway. A few times I honestly got some of them confused. Looking over the cast list now, after the movie, I forgot some of them where even in the film and had a death scene. Yeah. Good thing I’m writing this review now, come tomorrow I’ll forget what happened. Too bad this wasn’t as fun bad as director Jeff Wardlaws’s Never Back Down.

Bland and uninspired, Blumhouse’s Truth or Dare (not to confuse with Truth or Dare that came out next year, streaming on Netflix likely confusing people) isn’t as fun or as bad as I wanted it to be. In no way is it a good movie, but I know my genre can often be cheap to produce and easy to make money on. No doubt this turned a profit and paid off that Kubrick filter. I hope it was worth it Jason Blum.

Blergh. I wanted this to be more fun to drunk review.

D
RuzakyJan 23, 2019
Movie for 15-16 year old teenagers.
Average horror flick.Ending is pure trash.
Shajac19Mar 23, 2020
Why. Why. Why. I constantly found myself asking why this movie exists and why I chose to watch it. Bland acting with a so-so premise that made me laugh at moments that deserved tension and fear. I love Blumhouse but this was a mistake and aWhy. Why. Why. I constantly found myself asking why this movie exists and why I chose to watch it. Bland acting with a so-so premise that made me laugh at moments that deserved tension and fear. I love Blumhouse but this was a mistake and a half. Don't waste your time. Expand
JohnMcdermottJun 24, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I genuinely like the blumhouse model of low-budget horror film making but this just wasn't scary at all. The set up is simple enough. A group of teens/college kids get themselves into a jam because of their bad decisions and find themselves fighting for their lives against an overpowered enemy. In my theater, the deatgs of any character was met with laughter. This film has one of the dumbest endings in film history. Spoiler alert, the final girl dooms the entire planet to play an endless game of truth or dare until we all die of boredom. I don't know if the writers wanted us to root for the characters or not. They all seemed to lose any sense they had at a moments notice. Don't waste your time watching this, checkout The invisible man or one of the insidious movies if you want to see a good blumhouse film. Expand
JLauSep 25, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Spring break kids play a game of Truth or Dare in an abandoned convent because some guy they just met told them to and then they start getting killed if they lie in the game or don't complete the dare. Expand
lorenzo06Jul 13, 2022
this film does not put tension, in fact it is very, very funny. it is truly first of all logical sense, the protagonists are hopelessly stupid and their ability to make the wrong choices throughout the film is iconic. the deaths arethis film does not put tension, in fact it is very, very funny. it is truly first of all logical sense, the protagonists are hopelessly stupid and their ability to make the wrong choices throughout the film is iconic. the deaths are meaningless and have no depth: the protagonists never stop to mourn their dead friends but prefer to argue over their stupid secrets. the actions are unmotivated and have made me absolutely perplexed and confused for the duration of this "masterpiece".
recommended for those who have time to waste and want to have a laugh.
3/10 and I've been nice
The_D4RknesSJun 22, 2022
The critic thought it was bad but I loved watching this movie in the cinema
obinna-uJun 17, 2022
its actually not that bad.
nice storyline, plot twists and it wasnt cliche.