Summit Entertainment | Release Date: February 25, 2011
5.8
Mixed or average reviews based on 174 Ratings
Watch Now
HamiltonApr 12, 2011
It isn't a great movie by any stretch of imagination, but it does its dirty work quite well and it is able to deliver one hour and an half of crass, mindless entertainment coupled with cars, satanists, Agent Smith-like devils and magical guns.
Deathrage0823May 14, 2011
You have to take it for what it is. It's by no means a top of the line action flick. It does it's job as a grindhouse style movie with cool action and cheesy effects. Not as bad as a Nic Cage movie can be! Amber Heard is HOT!
Dobbsy11Feb 28, 2011
Metacritic really needs to take a look at all those critic ratings they've listed as "50s" as they read more like "70s." This is a funny action picture that delivers. That's what all those critics are saying. They're not dissing it for missMetacritic really needs to take a look at all those critic ratings they've listed as "50s" as they read more like "70s." This is a funny action picture that delivers. That's what all those critics are saying. They're not dissing it for miss the mark as a semi-satirical spin through '60s drive-in and/or grindhouse type fare. It's lewd, crude and it moves like gangbusters, with babes, muscle cars and lots of bizarre gratuitous violence and Satanist villains to boot! Terrific propulsive and plugged-in performances by Cage, Heard, Fichtner and Morse. It's a shame this film got dumped by the distributor but it will rock in home video as word of mouth will be super-strong for this super-wrong movie that gets just about everything, including the 3D, raucously and rudely, righteously and rawly right! Expand
TheEPICOneJan 7, 2013
epic
cweylandOct 13, 2012
epic
FancypenguinMay 31, 2014
Drive angry 3D is the best movie ever made. Better than Casablanca, Citizen Kane and Pulp Fiction. "But these are all masterpieces of the medium," you may be asking "How could this movie that has a lowly 5.4 Metascore be better than thoseDrive angry 3D is the best movie ever made. Better than Casablanca, Citizen Kane and Pulp Fiction. "But these are all masterpieces of the medium," you may be asking "How could this movie that has a lowly 5.4 Metascore be better than those classics?" Well I'll tell you why this movie is better. This movie has Nic Cage who has escaped from hell in a muscle car to avenge the death of his daughter at the hands of a satanic cult leader. Need I say more? If you haven't run out to buy 3 copies of this film just from reading that sentence, then maybe you need to have your pulse checked. Besides Nic Cage's Oscar worthy performance in this action flick, the 3 co-stars absolutely fill in the gaps that the light of Cage's star power cannot. Amber Heard plays his side-kick, a fiery hot girl that joins Cage in getting his granddaughter back from Billy Burke who, as the cult leader has kidnapped her and killed Cage's daughter. When I say Amber Heard is fiery hot, I mean it as in the passion that she shows in helping Cage reclaim his family member. C'mon guys, yes Ms. Heard is a beautiful woman, but just because this movie objectifies her doesn't mean I have to as well. The only performance that comes anywhere close to Cage's brilliance is that of of William Fichtner's. Fichtner plays the Marshall from hell, a servant to Satan who is presented the task of capturing and returning Nic Cage's Milton to hell. Throughout the movie, Fichtner plays the role of a stoic and serious warden from the underworld in a charming and delightful way. The third co-star that really gives a stunning performance is Nic Cage's wig. I literally thought that it was his real hair. Any actor who can make you believe that they really are the character they are portraying on screen is doing a masterful job. Overall this movie hits all the bullet points for a great action flick. Hot women and fast cars? Check. Over the top action sequences? Check. Guns that send people to purgatory? Check. Low budget versions of the matrix reloaded rave scene? Uh, Check. Any film where Nic Cage kills 6 people in a hotel room while continuing to have sex with a woman and without putting the 5th of Jack in his other hand down has truly shown that it has mastered the art of cinema. I will end this review with words of wisdom from Nic Cage in this movie "When you race with the devil, you better drive fast as hell" Expand
kevansmayJun 16, 2014
Love this movie. Was fun and interesting. Plus love Cage. Worth watching! Was a bit dark but also had some comedy. I don't normally watch these kind of movies, but this was pretty good.
Zanessa250QIJul 24, 2015
............................................................................................................................................................A Damn good flick of action speed
Bri1248Oct 17, 2015
I have this film on quite a few formats, and everytime I see it, makes me smile!! Nic Cage is hit and miss...but I like this one! I especially like the accountant, he's an awesome villain!!
SUPERGRANDFeb 27, 2011
this was the most manly and bomb movie ever made, all of the critics that didn't like it have vaginas. the cars are awesome, the women are babes and the movie is awesome.
TwistedFeb 26, 2011
After watching the previews I was not going to watch this movie in theatres but the previews did this movie no justice. It is a very good movie with a cool story. Love the way it ended just wish it was not im 3D:-(
tykittaaMar 13, 2011
By far, the best and most faithful of the recent grindhouse throwbacks. Great performances (especially by William Fichtner, who steals this film with his brilliant portrayal of The Accountant) back a hilarious and exciting homage to theBy far, the best and most faithful of the recent grindhouse throwbacks. Great performances (especially by William Fichtner, who steals this film with his brilliant portrayal of The Accountant) back a hilarious and exciting homage to the drive-in exploitation films of the '70s. Destined to become a cult classic. Expand
draconeaDec 10, 2011
This is a pure drive-in B movie like the ones of the 50's, 60's, & 70's in the movie genre called "grindhouse." Grindhouse, the name of a Tarentino and Rodriguez double movie, is a genre of film that wasn't coined by them but has existed andThis is a pure drive-in B movie like the ones of the 50's, 60's, & 70's in the movie genre called "grindhouse." Grindhouse, the name of a Tarentino and Rodriguez double movie, is a genre of film that wasn't coined by them but has existed and Drive Angry delivers the B drive-in movie experience in spades. It used to be that couples and families would hook a cheap metal speaker to their driver side window of their car, open up a bucket of chicken and beers, and sit in a large parking lot of giant speed bumps where cars would be tilted up towards a giant white screen and watch a double bill of movies similar to Drive Angry. Drive Angry is the story about a father who escapes from hell to rescue his grandchild held by a group of satanic worshipers for a sacrifice to the devil. The story or the the hottest woman of the year, Amber Heard, are incidental to the style of writing and cheap B movie cinematography that makes this film an instant cult classic. Think the original 70's "Last House on the Left," the original 50's version of "the Blob," the original 50's "the Thing," or any Chuck Norris movie of the 70's before his tv shtick.
Worth renting, making popcorn and getting one of the films above to add to your double bill of the evening. Great movie like Gandhi, of course not. Fun movie like a violent sadistic, tongue-in-cheek version of Animal House not a perfect analogy, but you get the idea.
Drive Angry will only disappoint you if you're expecting more then it is: a B movie classic.
broodyjokerSep 3, 2012
Unlike others, I think the movie was very beautiful!
Well of course there are problems, but overall it was satisfactory.
I like this movie, I like Nicolas Cage and I love Milton!!!
evokingsJul 16, 2017
I won't lie I went into this movie, thinking that I was going to be wathcing another "gone in 60 seconds" movie or something along those lines, but I was wrong, this movie is like "Ghost rider" "Constantine" and [ryan goslings] "Drive", theI won't lie I went into this movie, thinking that I was going to be wathcing another "gone in 60 seconds" movie or something along those lines, but I was wrong, this movie is like "Ghost rider" "Constantine" and [ryan goslings] "Drive", the movie as a whole was vary entertaining, I liked how we, as the viewer, were left in the dark as to what the characters origins were, and what there motives are I won't ruin the movie for you, but its definitely worth a watch, it's way better then I expected from a Nicolas Cage movie I would love to see a sequel to this movie. Expand