Focus Features | Release Date: February 21, 2020
6.2
Generally favorable reviews based on 45 Ratings
Watch Now
MarcDoyleMar 1, 2020
Jane Austen adaptations are always solid, but the visuals of this one set it apart. And the acting (Mia Goth in particular) is uniformly stellar. An easy recommendation.
LJA1Feb 23, 2020
Emma is a perfectly fun family friendly period drama. Though, there will always be better remakes.
ThomassMar 8, 2020
I really enjoyed this movie. Have seen the various Austen adaptations over the last few years and I find them very good. Charming treatment of the book. In this one they change some reactions and add a lot of humor which I throughly enjoyed.
thunderboltwayMar 7, 2020
With eye-popping visuals, but cutesy-wootsey in places, the new Emma adaptation is a masterpiece of aesthetics that seems to "get high on its own supply." Every frame jumps off the screen and begs to be painted. As someone with an interest inWith eye-popping visuals, but cutesy-wootsey in places, the new Emma adaptation is a masterpiece of aesthetics that seems to "get high on its own supply." Every frame jumps off the screen and begs to be painted. As someone with an interest in art history, I was in love with this Easter basket and the various bunnies hopping around the lawn. Expand
TVJerryMar 11, 2020
This newest adaptation of the Jane Austen classic isn't really modernized, but feels somewhat updated in attitude. It revolves around the rich, entitled title character whose misguided attempts at romance (for her and others) is the fulcrumThis newest adaptation of the Jane Austen classic isn't really modernized, but feels somewhat updated in attitude. It revolves around the rich, entitled title character whose misguided attempts at romance (for her and others) is the fulcrum of the story. Without a lot of actual laughs, there's an overall mirthful aspect that makes it pleasantly entertaining. The performances are genuine and their interactions enjoyable. Being a period film, you expect the requisite beauty, but this film's costumes are outstandingly gorgeous. An agreeable little trifle. Expand
Elf-HealerMar 21, 2020
The film with a charming views, excellent cinematography and sweet and young praiseworthy noble characters. It's really refreshing to see such a beautiful, sometimes flirty, sometimes a little heartbreaking, but overall light-hearted story inThe film with a charming views, excellent cinematography and sweet and young praiseworthy noble characters. It's really refreshing to see such a beautiful, sometimes flirty, sometimes a little heartbreaking, but overall light-hearted story in a 19th century setting. Expand
GinaKFeb 28, 2020
An excellent adaptation of the Austen novel with a first-rate cast, mostly of British actors unknown to me, which was a plus, since it made the actors more of an ensemble and, in an interesting way, more believable. The settings wereAn excellent adaptation of the Austen novel with a first-rate cast, mostly of British actors unknown to me, which was a plus, since it made the actors more of an ensemble and, in an interesting way, more believable. The settings were beautiful, and although I wasn’t convinced that I was in the right century emotionally, I had a great time. Nicely adapted and directed. Expand
marcmyworksApr 4, 2020
A visually beautiful film to watch, Emma boasts a strong cast and interpretation of the source material. I much preferred this version to the 1996 version.
aynksMar 8, 2020
This adaptation of Jane Austen's "Emma" offers the true fan a vivid and dramatic experience that brings this novel to life. I say this earnestly to the "true fans." If you are not a fan of Austen's work or have never read this novel, thisThis adaptation of Jane Austen's "Emma" offers the true fan a vivid and dramatic experience that brings this novel to life. I say this earnestly to the "true fans." If you are not a fan of Austen's work or have never read this novel, this movie may not be entirely satisfying.

The acting was phenomenal, definitely one of the brightest casts of the year. I will be looking to see if one can top this for the remainder of the year.
The driving point to the movie was three things, the production design, production design, and the cinematography. The makeup/costume design was some of the best I have ever seen. The colors that were shown vividly, the overall aesthetic of the film, the shots inside and outdoors, etc. These were done perfectly.

Where this movie picks its own flaws is the blandness that follows throughout this two hour experience. There is not much to the movie itself besides the displays. There was not anything new to bring with Austen's work, as it has been shown in other adaptations of her novels. I believe there is some things missing to add more of a punch to the movie. With such great production design, costumes, and cinematography there needed to be other great things to follow or this would not be satisfying to the average viewer. Almost can seem like a marketing ploy rather than trying to enhance Austen's perspective that is seen when reading her novels.

Definitely a movie I would recommend for real fans of Jane Austen. For those who do not prefer her writings or have not read Emma, this may be one to avoid.
fiftywordreviewMar 17, 2020
Excessively lengthy at over two hours, Emma can drag (particularly in the first act), but strong characters manage to find their footing as the story progresses. The inconsistent pacing can be felt throughout, but fantastic sets and costumeExcessively lengthy at over two hours, Emma can drag (particularly in the first act), but strong characters manage to find their footing as the story progresses. The inconsistent pacing can be felt throughout, but fantastic sets and costume design along with cleverly written dialogue will prove a rewarding watch. Expand