Paramount Pictures | Release Date: June 13, 2014
8.4
Universal acclaim based on 726 Ratings
Watch Now
franklymydearJun 18, 2014
Bland, poorly executed, and without any of the charm of the original, How to Train Your Dragon 2 completely missed the mark. Is it darker? Sure. But does the moral ambiguity lead to interesting insight for you or your children? No, notBland, poorly executed, and without any of the charm of the original, How to Train Your Dragon 2 completely missed the mark. Is it darker? Sure. But does the moral ambiguity lead to interesting insight for you or your children? No, not really.

What was the message of the film? Bad people do bad things and can convince good people to do bad things too? Dragons don't kill people, people kill people? It's okay to abandon your responsibilities?

And the running gag of the love triangle fell completely flat.

On the plus side, the 3d was well done.
AnanisaptaDec 13, 2014
What a disappointing mess! This sequel has less than half the charm of the original. Apparently if it's loud with a lot of color and motion, some people will feel entertained; but if this is the best Dreamworks can do, I'll short their stock.What a disappointing mess! This sequel has less than half the charm of the original. Apparently if it's loud with a lot of color and motion, some people will feel entertained; but if this is the best Dreamworks can do, I'll short their stock. In fact, now that I look at it, DWA peaked at $35.19 on 12/30/13 and yesterday closed at $21.75, down 38% in under a year. That's in the face of a stock market UP 36.6% over the same period. Clearly their market has grown up but they haven't. Too bad! Expand
JoesatmoesJun 20, 2014
I loved the first movie, so I was excited to see what they could do with a sequel (especially when Dreamworks has been so well w/ sequels, with the 2nd Kung Fu Panda movie and the 3rd Madagascar being the best in their respective series). SoI loved the first movie, so I was excited to see what they could do with a sequel (especially when Dreamworks has been so well w/ sequels, with the 2nd Kung Fu Panda movie and the 3rd Madagascar being the best in their respective series). So I went to see this movie with a few friends, and none of us liked it. And personally, I normally like movies that everyone else hates, not the other way around- well, with the exception of maybe Frozen, but many people, I see now, agree with me that it wasn't that good.

I mean, personally I though the pacing was awful (which was also a problem I had w/ Frozen) - I thought the mother's reveal, the villain's reveal, and even the central conflict were shown to quickly. And the villain was the worst I've seen since, well, Hans from Frozen. Actually, this was probably worse because he looked so evil and mad, but also a genius, and he looked that way, but his dialogue was very bland and kind of stupid, and his intentions were stupid and overused (seriously? Why did they have to add the world-domination part?!) and he just didn't seem...evil enough. And I really didn't like Hiccup's mom. I guess there was something about her personality that I didn't like, but I didn't like her inclusion in the movie. Her being dead in the first movie created tragedy for Hiccup and Stoik (since Hiccup had noone to support him when his dad looked down upon him, and Stoik was a single parent trying to take care of his people, but also be a good father), and gave Stoik a good reason for hating dragons. And the fact that she wanted peace between dragons and humans made it kind of Hiccup's 'destiny' to be like that, which takes away from the first movie, where HE was the first viking who wouldn't kill a dragon. Now, if it turned out that she was taken away and, over time grew to love dragons, that would be a different thing.
Then there was the handsome british guy. His character could have been pretty good- a guy who was on the bad side but turned good? That's what made Prince Zuko such an awesome character! But he changed sides a bit too fast (going back to the pacing)- maybe if they Riders saved him, but he betrayed them, but after thinking about what is good and what isn't, then he changed his mind, that would have made me like his character more (and then, when Hiccup gave him a-certain-person's dragon, he would have earned that honor a bit more). But his character also caused for some wanna-be-funny moments from Ruffnut...I know they're teens, so jokes about a girl liking a hot guy a are pretty much inevitable, but noone in the theater I went to laughed at the scenes where she's pretty much drooling for the guy (well, maybe except for when she falls in love w/ Snottlout and Fishlegs).

There were also a few little things that pissed me off, like Hiccup being shown as adventurous at the beginning, but everyone forgets about that. And when we found out about Stoik wanting to make Hiccup chief, it's through this odd...fake conversation between Astrid and Hiccup, which could have been cute if it wasn't for Astrid using her hands like Hiccup does and him asking when he's ever done that- jokes like that almost always feel forced imo. In fact, a lot of the jokes in this movie feel forced. And I thought the scene where Stoik and Hiccup's mom were singing could have been quite emotional, it was pretty awkward (especially w/ Gobber talking in the middle). And I'll probably be the first to say it, but I think Dragon Racing is really not fun to watch- it's like they wanted to make a cool-looking sport like Quidditch, but to make it with the least effort possible- by both creativity of the writers, and the skill required by the players.

Even though I didn't like the movie, I did think there were some good points about it: I thought Toothless, especially w/ his interactions w/ other dragons, was pretty cute and funny, but he was also a total badass in fights, and hi struggling to not follow the Alpha Dragon was pretty awesome. In fact, all the battles were awesome (though not as much as in the first movie), and while the shots of the flying got old from the first movie, they still look beautiful- especially in 3D. And (spoiler alert) Stoik's death scene was pretty heartbreaking, especially knowing that he had been trying so hard to be good and had wanted to see his son become chief and just wanted to come home as a happy family- I swear, his death almost made me cry as much as Mufasa's, not to mention it was done by Toothless (though he was under control by the villain, which is btw the only moment when I really thought that he was an evil madman). Of course, his death was ruined when the scene right after his death, there was a scene where everyone is being goofy while struggling to fly on the baby dragons, but it was still quite a heart tugging moment while it lasted.
AesterilMar 17, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. They show hiccups mother never wanting to see her child again because of what again? And she would have never seen hiccup if he hand't accidentally stumbled next to her in the clouds? Expand