Neon | Release Date: December 8, 2017
Generally favorable reviews based on 394 Ratings
Watch Now
Buy on
TVJerryJan 16, 2018
Tonya Harding was the first American woman to complete a triple axel in a skating competition, but she'll be forever known for her part in the attack on competitor Nancy Kerrigan. The events are recounted thru "interviews" from key players.Tonya Harding was the first American woman to complete a triple axel in a skating competition, but she'll be forever known for her part in the attack on competitor Nancy Kerrigan. The events are recounted thru "interviews" from key players. Margo Robbie creates a plucky Harding with brauvura, sensitivity and skillful brilliance. Even though this is a serious subject, the film takes a light-hearted approach that's helped by the viciously hilarious performance of Allison Janney as her mother and the comically bumbling "body guard" created by Paul Walter Hauser. Craig Gillespie has added spirited direction with creative approaches that make it even more enjoyable. Whether what's presented is it true or not, it doesn't really matter. Treat this as a highly entertaining look at the event and the fascinating and highly entertaining. characters that surrounded it. Expand
DrLynnKKJan 12, 2018
I have talked to a lot of people who say they aren't interested in a movie about Tanya Harding, but this movie is so much more.
This movie presents the story creatively, with all the complications, irony, and violence of the true story. The writing and directing are brilliant. The performances are amazing.
I think most people would enjoy this movie if they just gave it a chance. Also, it's hilarious/horrifying.
marymaebennettJan 6, 2018
I wanted to start off this review with one of the many hilarious quotes but I also don't want to spoil the jokes. When the trailer for this movie dropped, I had no idea who Tonya Harding was, I soon got sucked into the rabbit hole that isI wanted to start off this review with one of the many hilarious quotes but I also don't want to spoil the jokes. When the trailer for this movie dropped, I had no idea who Tonya Harding was, I soon got sucked into the rabbit hole that is Tonya Harding. I always say I like sports biopics because it's none of the boring parts of sports and I actually care about the people, this is not your every day sports biopic. This is a Tonya Harding sports biopic. This has all of the crazy and insane parts of her story but also makes it real. None of the character's are evil just because they're evil. They all have backstories and motives that drive them to do their future actions. The movie found the perfect balance between the dark comedy of it all and the sincerity of the characters. They all may be antiheroes but it works and they tell a complete story with completely developed characters. It also has some of the greatest performances of the year by just about all the actors most notably Robbie and Janney but Stan and Hauser excel as well. In terms of Oscar buzz, I'm calling that Janney will win Supporting Actress, Robbie will have a solid chance winning Lead Actress but it's a tough category, I think it deserves Best Screenplay but may not make it, and it may get a Best Picture nomination but would not win in the category. Expand
GreatMartinJan 8, 2018
Up to today I was all for Holly Hunter to win the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress in “The Big Sick” but now, hands down, Allison Janney owns it for her mean mother of all mothers in “I, Tonya”.

“I, Tonya” could have been an excellent movie

“I, Tonya” could have been an excellent movie but there are too many brutal shots of first Tonya Harding being abused physically and mentally by her mother and then too many of her husband physically abusing her. Two to three scenes would have gotten the message across but director Craig Gillespie and screenwriter Steven Rogers not only have too many abusive scenes but spend too much time on a lot of scenes.

The movie is told from 4 different points of view and one is not sure who is telling the truth or lying. Though the main story revolves around Tonya Harding’s (Margot Robbie) training from the age of 3 to be an ice skater and then how much involved she was with the kneecapping of her competitor, Nancy Kerrigan, to what made her become—to quote Tonya—‘the most hated woman in the world’ we also hear from the others who were part of her life.

LaVona Golden (Allison Janney), as Tonya’s mother, is really a despicable woman who, for the right or wrong reasons, spent every penny she made to make her daughter a star. LaVonna defends herself as trying to make her daughter tough and tries to warn her daughter against the man she will marry.

Jeff Gillooly (Sebastian Stan) as Tonya’s first boyfriend and then her husband and finally her ex has his own version of the story just as Shawn Eckhardt (Paul Walter Hauser) her bodyguard thinks he masterminded the whole, what has become known as ‘the incident’, thing and, yet, is as dumb as they come!

At the beginning we meet Al Harding (Jason Davis), Tonya’s father, who teaches her how to kill and skin rabbits setting up the first half of the film leading to ‘the incident’. He leaves shortly after and we don’t see him anymore.

The only one who seems ‘normal’, who cares for Tonya, is her skating coach, Diane Rawlinson (Julianne Nicholson) who knows the American skating world wants a princess, who dresses right, has the right kind of family, isn’t assertive off the court and is wholesome in every way which certainly doesn’t describe Tonya.

Whether it is the screenwriter, director or Margot Robbie, by the end of the film we see this vilified woman who was really punished more than anyone else involved, as someone who may not deserve what happened to her.

Oddly, among all this violence, all these mostly nasty, some dumb, really dumb people there are a lot of laughs and one doesn’t feel guilty while they are laughing but after the movie is over you wonder if these people, the mother, husband, bodyguard and Tonya are people you should laugh at or sympathize with.

“I, Tonya” has some fine acting, especially Margot Robbie in the title role, and Allison Janney as her mother, but you wonder if this woman, who had few moments of joy and success in her life, deserved to be stripped of everything including the one thing she excelled at and lived for, and if she was guilty as many people thought? And, oh, just to have 20 minutes cut from this version.
BrianMcCriticMar 4, 2018
If you ever thought of Tonya Harding in a completely negative way, I, Tonya will at least make you think. There are some great performances all around and Margot Robbie nails it as Harding. A-
ViniciusBritoMar 2, 2018
Telling the real story of Tonya Harding, a professional ice skater, the first female athlete to perform a Triple Axel durin a competition, and also involved with an incident.
The movie shows the back and post story of Tonya Harding, showing
The movie shows the back and post story of Tonya Harding, showing the problem with mother, the way that she were treated by her and how that affected her other relationships durin her life. Appearing the violent relation with her husband, how she meet him and all the situations that they passed through. Abused by her husband, mother, refs and including us.
I like how they represented the life of a athlete with her, givin up school to focus the max that is possible on training and getting better, it showed the effort that it tooks, the sacrifices and difficulties. The movie kind works like a documentary sometimes, with the characters, in olders versions of themselves, narrating and commenting what happend, so as the breaking of the 4th wall during the film, some could find that i little dislocated, but for me, that worked very well, it maked me approximated more to the characters and the movie, also made possible some nice comic moments.
Defniely did a hell of a great job in emulate the actual choreography and presentation to the movie.
The soundtrack is very good, the lycris also works as a narrative factor, it fits on what is going on in the movie.
The cinematography generally is pretty ok, no big deal, but during the apresentations, for me, it was much better and memorable, the camera follows her while she is skating wich is great, agile and complex. The editing of this movie is simply great, very weel done and the best thing that they could have done with it.
Margot Robbie does a great job in her role, you buy her as an athlete and all the pain and strugle that she is passing through, she can pass the right vibe of the moment, with both physical and mental. There is a moment that she is making herself up, looking at the mirror and at us, that was just wonderful.
Sebastian Stan does also a very good job, he pass the idiocy of the character, the badness and complications. Allyson Janney have the role of a bad mother that threats her daughter like **** never comprising or accepting, also a great job. A problem here is that in some moments Margot and Sebastian interpret a younger version of the characters, for me that didin't worked, they didn't looked like teenagers. I lked a lot of Julianne Nicholson character, see a serene and kind-hearted person among that big destruction is very soothing. It covers 3 lines, a drama about her carreer, documentary about the incident. A critic look about conservatism at the sport, that never saw in Tonya what they want to represent in their country. A abuse phisic and psychological.
marco34laDec 16, 2017
this was a lot of fun to watch. it's not the best film in terms of plot/climax, but it's guilty pleasure entertainment. crass, fun, blunt, and makes you feel bad for harding.
netflicJan 8, 2018
This movie is a sports bio-pic about Tonya Harding, once best American figure skater. The movie is made as a series of interviews with Tonya, her mom, her ex-husband and other personalities in Tonya's life. This pseudo-documentary styleThis movie is a sports bio-pic about Tonya Harding, once best American figure skater. The movie is made as a series of interviews with Tonya, her mom, her ex-husband and other personalities in Tonya's life. This pseudo-documentary style provides an interesting aspect on the story that was wildly known all over the world in 1994.

My expectations of sports bio-pics are usually not very high, but I got much more than I was hoping for. Creators of the film managed to produce a drama that borders with farce, a difficult and fragile mix. Plenty of sour humor, raw language and sarcasm. Talented team of actors made it possible to recreate Tonya's ascend to fame and swift fall out of it. I was highly impressed by Margot Robbie who played Tonya, and especially Allison Janney who played Tony'a abusive mom and just won a Golden Globe for her supporting role. She was fantastic!

In short, this movie is one of the best of 2017, in my opinion.
ledaumasDec 31, 2017
This was a 2 hour movie that didn't drag. The movie explains Tonya's behavior that ruined her life. This screenwriter should be nominated because, while Tonya and her ex seem despicable at first, we sympathize with them as they explain theirThis was a 2 hour movie that didn't drag. The movie explains Tonya's behavior that ruined her life. This screenwriter should be nominated because, while Tonya and her ex seem despicable at first, we sympathize with them as they explain their really bad decisions. We'll never know how involved Tonya was in trying to eliminate Nancy, but you can see that Tonya trusted the man she thought was her savior who helped her get away from her abusive mother. The incident was incredibly stupid in so many ways. After all, even though Nancy got the endorsements for being a classy skater, while Tonya got no endorsements, Tonya's skating was much more powerful than all other skaters. At least in that time period when she could perform the triple axels. Too bad Tonya's ex and his friends didn't know enough about skating to see that Tonya could win on her own against Nancy, and anyone else. I saw the Olympics that year. No one could perform under those circumstances and Tonya did indeed crumble. That should have been her punishment. I don't understand how the judge had jurisdiction to ban her from skating. I find that most unfair. It's also pretty amazing that Margot Robbie is only 27 years old and produced this movie. She picked a good subject who needs our sympathy now. Expand
moviemitch96Jan 6, 2018
While the performances we're top-notch, the film itself fell a bit short of its potential in my opinion. I felt as though it played out relatively pedestrian in terms of retelling the story. But like I said, it's the performances that reallyWhile the performances we're top-notch, the film itself fell a bit short of its potential in my opinion. I felt as though it played out relatively pedestrian in terms of retelling the story. But like I said, it's the performances that really stuck with me. Margot Robbie really committed and did great justice and honor towards Tonya Harding, and Allison Janney was scary good as her nightmare of a mother. Overall, the great performances and commitment from everyone involved couldn't quite make up for the shortcoming of the formulaic style of the story, but I'd say it's worth a view only to see Robbie and Janney at their best. Expand
Rebecca31Feb 21, 2018
Margot Robbie is Tonya Harding and as entertaining as this movie is Margot Robbie and Allison Janney are worth the ticket price alone.

Done in the style of a documentary I, Tonya tells the life of American figure skater, Tonya Harding. Spanning from childhood, to her record breaking triple axel and of course the scandalous incident just before the 1994 Winter Olympics. Margot Robbie will knock your socks off with this performance. She is absolutely perfect for this part. Another stand out performance is Allison Janney as Tonya's hardass mother, Oscar worthy for sure. Both Robbie and Janney have a wonderful onscreen presence and every scene between them is electric. I don't believe I, Tonya would be half as popular if it wasn't for Robbie and Janney, simply brilliant. Although it definitely goes for the sympathetic angle, the script is blunt, witty and one of the best examples of narration done well in a film. Perhaps a lot of you already know what happened to Tonya Harding and her future in the sport but I didn't so not only did I find this film interesting but it's very entertaining. Trailers often misrepresent biography movies like this, but I, Tonya will not disappoint, the comedy gives it that extra edge and most of you are sure to enjoy it. The story is a bit choppy but the casting and the acting from everyone is perfect. Highly recommended, if you're looking for an entertaining movie this weekend then I, Tonya should be your choice.
DeanomiteDec 31, 2017
This was the best movie of the year, even better than "Bleed for this", which could have also been the title of this movie. Margot Robbie gave one of the best performances I have ever seen, actually learning to figure skate for the role.This was the best movie of the year, even better than "Bleed for this", which could have also been the title of this movie. Margot Robbie gave one of the best performances I have ever seen, actually learning to figure skate for the role. The story of how she chose to be herself in a world of cookie cutter princesses to become the best in the world through sheer will made me ashamed of my meager accomplishments. Expand
JLuis_001Dec 28, 2017
With the exception of the the good performances of its cast, I, Tonya is a film too simple and it takes too long to address its most striking theme. The pace of the film is too slow and too repetitive, let's be honest, we didn't need to seeWith the exception of the the good performances of its cast, I, Tonya is a film too simple and it takes too long to address its most striking theme. The pace of the film is too slow and too repetitive, let's be honest, we didn't need to see some six scenes of Sebastian Stan hitting Margot Robbie, ok their relationship was violent, we understood it the first time, especially when they need to look at the camera breaking the fourth wall and telling us what we were seeing. C'mon, this could have been better.

The film it's worth to see for the solid work of Margot Robbie and Allison Janney, but beyond that, this film struggles a lot to maintain a solid and more critical rhythm, in addition to trying too hard to look more controversial than it really is.

I, Tonya is one of those films where the acting is better than the film in general, it happens often, it's nothing new.
CinemaCrushFeb 10, 2018
Two words, fast & fun. Thanks to the beyond brilliant and unique editing. One of the most undersung films of this year, despite it's few accolades. It deserves MORE. The employment of swift soliloquy and iconoclastic at-odds doubleTwo words, fast & fun. Thanks to the beyond brilliant and unique editing. One of the most undersung films of this year, despite it's few accolades. It deserves MORE. The employment of swift soliloquy and iconoclastic at-odds double narrative, 'I, Tonya' jumps around in frantic beauty, reaccounting the testimonies of both Jeff & Tonya. Superb ensemble cast, including the show-stealer in Allison Janney. It might not take home any best picture trophies, but 'I, Tonya' is surely one of the most entertaining and uniquely told stories of the year. One wouldn't even have to be interested in the true story, or even be familiar with it, to enjoy this gem of 2017. Expand
caf2042Mar 1, 2018
I, Tonya, directed by Craig Gillespie, tells the story of Tonya Harding (Margot Robbie), and her infamous “attack” on fellow skater Nancy Kerrigan. This was a movie I had been anticipating since the excellent first trailer. This was one ofI, Tonya, directed by Craig Gillespie, tells the story of Tonya Harding (Margot Robbie), and her infamous “attack” on fellow skater Nancy Kerrigan. This was a movie I had been anticipating since the excellent first trailer. This was one of the most funny, heartfelt, interesting movies I have seen all year. It does a great job of making Tonya a sympathetic, fascinating person, while at the same time not shying away from what she was involved with. Allison Janney is fantastic as Tonya’s mother. Her performance is both disturbing and hilarious. This is an excellent, emotionally resonant movie that you should definitely check out. Expand
Brent_MarchantDec 26, 2017
Handily one of the year's best, with its snarly dark humor and superb performances across the board, especially Margot Robbie and Allison Janney in award-worthy performances. With a kick-ass soundtrack, impeccable editing, excellent writingHandily one of the year's best, with its snarly dark humor and superb performances across the board, especially Margot Robbie and Allison Janney in award-worthy performances. With a kick-ass soundtrack, impeccable editing, excellent writing and a spot-on monologue format, the film carries the day in virtually every regard. To be sure, sensitive viewers may be offended by some of the language and violence, but both are properly balanced and in context. If you like your comedies with an edge, rush to see this one. Expand
BUTCHYPIEJan 2, 2018
The Great American Scandal presented as an autopsy. No a rehash of a People Magazine story, but something altogether more and better.

The funniest, sad-movie you'll see all year. Meta in all the right places. The fourth wall is kicked through with a bladed boot. Two astounding performances by Allison Janney and Margot Robbie. A tour de force from the trailer park, while wearing a rabbit fur jacket. Damn, this was a good film.
ScraperJan 31, 2018
A really great perspective on the bizarre life and career of Tonya Harding. Ranging from sincere to silly, I felt it framed it's cast of supporting characters perfectly: pathetic yet motivated.
StevieGJDJan 8, 2018
I was surprised about how much I enjoyed this film. It was very funny and I laughed a bunch. Margot Robbie completely surprised me. While I have had no doubt about how attractive she is, I never expected this kind of fully realizedI was surprised about how much I enjoyed this film. It was very funny and I laughed a bunch. Margot Robbie completely surprised me. While I have had no doubt about how attractive she is, I never expected this kind of fully realized performance from her. She is really great. Alison Janney, as her mother, gives a one note performance, but it is an hilarious note. This story about a bunch of low class idiots is more than a little mean spirited about its targets. But when you see the real people the actors were playing at the end, after laughing the whole way there, you realize that there are people this dumb. The greatest irony is that I now feel sorry for Tonya Harding. Expand
LatinCritic13Jan 8, 2018
I, Tonya is bloody, profane, and thought provoking when you see Margot Robbie as Tonya Harding and it's freakin' great! Sure, this film does remind you of Goodfellas, but this biopic goes deeper in the roots of where we can actuallyI, Tonya is bloody, profane, and thought provoking when you see Margot Robbie as Tonya Harding and it's freakin' great! Sure, this film does remind you of Goodfellas, but this biopic goes deeper in the roots of where we can actually understand the rise and fall of Harding's life and it was pretty damn interesting to know what she had to go through. Everything felt nostalgic and fresh of how this movie was shown, and not to mention the amazing camera work and performances though. No wonder why I, Tonya was a thrilljoy to watch!!! Expand
TrevorsViewFeb 15, 2018
Tonya became the ideal 90’s woman comparable to Hillary Clinton, until the well-known scandal against Nancy Kerrigan caused those same people to now call her “poor white trash.” Thus, in I, Tonya, we get a first look at her real self,Tonya became the ideal 90’s woman comparable to Hillary Clinton, until the well-known scandal against Nancy Kerrigan caused those same people to now call her “poor white trash.” Thus, in I, Tonya, we get a first look at her real self, challenging our discernment on which facts are true and which ones are lies. Even Tonya recently said how the cast made her experience watching the completed movie so special, possibly a sure-fire authentication seal toward everything seen here.

It first throws out a brief disclaimer: "Based on irony free, wildly contradictory, totally true interviews with Tonya Harding and Jeff Gillooly.” Fitting enough, a creative implementation of the characters’ interviews framed under different aspect ratios gives the extra needed depth inside their blatant thoughts. Editor Tatiana S. Riegel (Million Dollar Arm, The Way Way Back) masterfully tugs out the film’s atmosphere with fourth wall breaks thrown in to complement the interview segments. Inside the narrative, the Scorsese-esque discussions appear to pathetically lie at each other, when in subliminal actuality they’re pathetically lying at you.

Tonya early on wears a rabbit fur coat representing her parental history: father taught her rabbit hunting but soon left the family, never to return, and mother crafted many of her outfits. This shambled experience resembles that coat: despite attempts try to lipstick the societal pig, the ugliness of the crime against nature remains, a money hunt revealed by Steven Rogers’ (Love the Coopers, P.S. I Love You) script.

At the instant she becomes the first ice skater in America to land the triple axel, the tense anticipation perfectly captures her mid-jump face in super slow motion. Then expectations after the monumental moment crank up beyond impractical heights, leading to a Rocky montage that reaches an intense level unexpected from a graceful sport. Pretty soon, lingered shots make you ponder Tonya’s identity; near the end before the big Olympic performance, she looks in the mirror, slowly on the verge of tears, melting away her forced smile. Where did those tears originate though?

A lot of the credit goes to first-time Oscar nominee Margot Robbie’s (Neighbours, The Wolf of Wall Street) hard-edged mannerism as Miss Harding. In a quick teenage flashback, her insecure voice trembles while her lip slides to the side. In young adulthood, she slowly turns into her abusive mom, the plain sadness screaming behind her false eyes. Plus, in recreating Tonya’s Olympic performance, her tearful pose is spot on: the hand on hip, the palm out, the whimpering face, it looks exactly like the real photographed moment!

The effectiveness in recreating a controversial figure would have slipped on the ice without the feature’s next best quality: Allison Janney, (The Help, The West Wing) who plays Tonya’s crabby drill sergeant of a mother. Since Tonya’s mother has long avoided civilization, the filmmakers ultimately relied on home videos to help Janney. The same goes to the other cast members: besides the girl playing young Tonya, they all deserve a 6.0 in technical merit.

Although more should have been learned on the racial tension inside the sport of ice skating at the time. Clearly it got bad enough for Tonya to escape the buttheads (as she called them) in her home state of Oregon, yet the dim focus implemented in Tonya Harding’s feminization example through a woman’s sport fails to demonstrate figure skating’s empowerment across the entire world, it’s just the American rednecks’ perspective.

The worst issue concerns the extreme unlikability of everyone, especially the mother, who jumpstarts the unpleasant experience using a hairbrush to graphically beat Tonya off the rink. The script gives her no motivation: why does she want Tonya to succeed on the ice? Instead, she ends up a horrible person void of any good traits. Watching the massive egos depressed me the whole evening afterward, proving why I, Tonya lacks the full empowerment it intends.

Going back on the happier elements, Jennifer Johnson (20th Century Women, Beginners) designs the competition wardrobes worn by Tonya to mirror the real ones, the subtle cues in color to reveal the quality of glitter-glammer found only in the sheen of an icy surface.

Like Tonya’s sparkly, highly saturated dresses that contrast her raggedy brown rabbit coat, America always desires something to love and something to hate. She represents America’s genuine face, the polar opposite of women’s old expectations, the wholesome American family the judges prefer. Topping it off, she straight-up accuses you the viewer of abusing her.
LamontRaymondDec 8, 2017
What an outstanding movie! Robbie is absolutely incredible - what commitment to this role (and I can't believe that she did most of the skating - less the jumps - herself!). Janney is SO hardcore as her mom - a truly brutal lady to portray.What an outstanding movie! Robbie is absolutely incredible - what commitment to this role (and I can't believe that she did most of the skating - less the jumps - herself!). Janney is SO hardcore as her mom - a truly brutal lady to portray. What's so great about this film is that there are 4 or 5 scenes in which you really don't know whether to laugh or just feel disgusted. You definitely come away from this film (if you were old enough to remember these events in the early 90s) with a new-found respect for Harding. It took a couple of Aussies to tell this stories to a bunch of Americans who lived it. Heartbreaking, hilarious, and bold. A must-see. Expand
IndiefilmloverDec 8, 2017
In a year filled with films about dysfunctional parent-child relationships (e.g., Lady Bird, Three Billboards, The Florida Project) "I, Tonya" takes the prize for the most poisonous. Watching Tonya Harding (played by Margot Robbie) and herIn a year filled with films about dysfunctional parent-child relationships (e.g., Lady Bird, Three Billboards, The Florida Project) "I, Tonya" takes the prize for the most poisonous. Watching Tonya Harding (played by Margot Robbie) and her mother LaVona (Allison Janney) go at it is like watching a train wreck or a street brawl -- it can be tough to watch, but it's hard to look away either. For those familiar with the true events that inspired this film, you might leave it with a bit more compassion for what Harding went throughout in her life. There's never a dull moment in Steven Rogers's imaginative screenplay. It's filled with great lines and plays like a gangster movie. Robbie, Janney and the rest of the cast seem perfectly suited for their roles. Craig Gillespie's direction and Tatiana S. Riegel's editing keep things slightly off-balance, so you're not always sure what is going to happen next. "I, Tonya" is definitely not your standard biographical film. This film is definitely not for the faint of heart. Expand
Alfredo123Sep 14, 2018
This movie uses the words 'COMEDIC' and 'HILARIOUS' to describe the 'ASSAULT' orchestrated by 'TONYA HARDING' to her Olympic Competitor 'Nancy Kerrigan' to keep Ms Kerrigan from competing against 'TONYA HARDING' in the Olympics
Goolge photo's
Goolge photo's of Nancy Kerrigan immediately after the 'ATTACK' masterminded by 'TONYA HARDING', they look anything BUT 'COMEDIC' and 'HILARIOUS'?
This movie should be boycotted.
Buying this movie is like buying 'The Joy Of Cooking' by Adolph Hitler.
Producers & writers will stop at nothing for a quick [sick] buck!
CalhernDec 10, 2017
Tonya Harding is first abused by her mother, then by her husband, and finally by the figure skating association, the media and all of us. She fights until events get so out of hand that she just can't anymore. That's the film's essence. SheTonya Harding is first abused by her mother, then by her husband, and finally by the figure skating association, the media and all of us. She fights until events get so out of hand that she just can't anymore. That's the film's essence. She rises from poverty and domestic violence to the top of international figure skating in the early nineties, and then, following the infamous attack on Nancy Kerrigan, is banned from skating for life. All the characters get to tell their version of this raucous, insane, highly watchable story until finally Tonya, bleeding on the ground says that "there is no such thing as truth."

The director, writer, editor and actors set out to accomplish a lot by covering class, sadistic family ties, injustice in high level athletics, media corruption, personal ambition, American costume obsession, and spiritual confusion. Mainly they do at a very high level.

As the story intensifies, so does the always present '70's heavy metal and hard rock soundtrack.

It's a terrific script with carefully thought-out visual details. The camera is smart, always moving, never showy, like early sixties Fellini. Craig Gillespie is a knowledgeable director, with a fine sense of movie history, trying to show the late 20th century collapse of American culture and our total capitulation to mass media through the personal story of Tonya Harding's rise and fall--and further fall. A nice touch to watch for: as the story is winding down, a TV set in the corner announces that the police are looking for football star OJ Simpson in connection with some murders.

The 30x30-like interviews with the principals are great--Harding-Kerrigan became exploitation TV in the nineties--and now, decades later, they each (minus Kerrigan) get to speak their own truth even if the truth is a lie. Or is it? Or does it even matter? To say that Harding and her mother have a love/hate relationship is like saying Whiplash is about a student-teacher relationship. If you look at the trailer, it's a fair representation of the film's style and substance, up to and including Allison Janney's parakeet that she's constantly annoyed by in her in her shocking, unbound and truly great performance. She isn't a helicopter parent, she's a flame thrower parent who never cracks. Actually, nobody in the film does. Ever. Like several other movies I've seen this year, it shows that a lot of very good non-genre film making is coming out of the United States this year.
jgzegerJan 8, 2018
Not a high quality movie, but entertaining nonetheless. Good performances by Margot Robbie and Alison Janney.
ryecaMar 11, 2018
Really boring, one-note biopic of a topic that isn't interesting to begin with. Do you like watching the same scenes of abuse over and over for a few hours, then this movie is for you. Do you like bad VFX face-swapping to make it look likeReally boring, one-note biopic of a topic that isn't interesting to begin with. Do you like watching the same scenes of abuse over and over for a few hours, then this movie is for you. Do you like bad VFX face-swapping to make it look like Robbie is skating, then this movie is for you. However, if you want a movie that doesn't make you want to break your tv's legs, then this movie is not for you. Expand
DOUGKApr 8, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The movie is well made, good writing, good direction, photography, acting, not too much skating or domestic violence. The story evokes sympathy for Tonya in general and tries to paint her as innocent in the attack on Kerrigan. The idea that her husband was also innocent because he was paying $1000 to have a letter delivered from Boston makes no sense at all. You shouldn't have to pay much of anything for that. It is doubtful that he was innocent and totally unclear whether Tonya was given that. She is a sympathetic figure in the movie and it is too bad that she lost her career but no one should base their life on a sports event. The movie surprised me, I had not expected it to be as good as it was. Expand
KunderaDec 26, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was a decent movie, with great potential, and then they did what so many movies do, they take a cheap political shot for absolutely no artistic or creative reason whatsoever. A Reagan poster is shown clearly in 5 separate shots hanging on the wall in the wife beating criminal's basement. Never mind that the scene took place AFTER Reagan was President. No other poster or photos were shown. Politics was never mentioned in the movie. Meanwhile Reagan won 49 out of 50 states, so these filmakers have no problem with insulting a majority of viewers. Why pull viewers out of the film? Their political view obviously is more important to them than their audience and their film. If you see this movie, please tell me what reason this was done? Was there any artistic reason? Did it help the story one iota? Expand
BHBarryJan 28, 2018
“I, Tonya” stars Margot Robbie in the role of Tonya Harding ably supported by Sebastian Stan, Allison Janney and Bobby Cannavale in this bio-drama regarding the events that took place prior to and during the 1994 Winter Olympics, the“I, Tonya” stars Margot Robbie in the role of Tonya Harding ably supported by Sebastian Stan, Allison Janney and Bobby Cannavale in this bio-drama regarding the events that took place prior to and during the 1994 Winter Olympics, the infamous assault on Nancy Kerrigan and the aftermath that followed these events. Written by Steven Rogers and directed by Craig Gillespie, the film is exhibited more as a documentary than a feature film with various asides by the actors to the viewing audience which lends great authenticity to the telling of this tale. More than anything, though, it is the sad and tragic story of Ms. Harding who endured the prison of a dominating mother’s influence to the loss of her one chance to find acceptance and recognition on the floor of an arena only to find that her whole future was atop thin ice. I give the film an 8.0 with special kudos to Ms. Robbie without whom the characterization of Mr. Harding would have had less credibility and meaning. Expand
tonyGreenDec 28, 2018
Much more than standard bio-pic. The event's of Harding's life are tragicomic and 'I, Tonya' plays both ends of the spectrum very effectively. Alison Janney as Tonya's mother was deservedly well praised but it is Margot Robbie that glues itMuch more than standard bio-pic. The event's of Harding's life are tragicomic and 'I, Tonya' plays both ends of the spectrum very effectively. Alison Janney as Tonya's mother was deservedly well praised but it is Margot Robbie that glues it all together with an utterly real and nuanced performance. A good watch. Expand
imthenoobMar 7, 2018
I thought it was definitely uniquely written. The writer interview Harding and her husband, both providing conflicting narratives of events that were combined into a story that makes sense...sort of. The entire film is left up to the viewerI thought it was definitely uniquely written. The writer interview Harding and her husband, both providing conflicting narratives of events that were combined into a story that makes sense...sort of. The entire film is left up to the viewer to decide which combination of events are true/false and I thought that fit perfectly with how Tonya Harding's life should be portrayed on screen. The dark humour simply works and it's a big reason I enjoy the film.

The cast did a great job as well. Margot Robbie, despite playing the title character, was oddly not as prominent in the film as I expected her to be. Instead, It was Allison Janney, who played Tonya's Mom, and Sebastian Shaw, who played her ex-husband, who stole the show and made this movie all the more enjoyable.

It's a unique movie and definitely one of the more stand-out films of the year, Definitely in my top 5.
WaelFeb 17, 2018
Margott Robbie delivers such a strong and unbound performance, portraying figure-skating champion Tonya Harding, backed-up with a truthful plot and a magnificent picture and direction, alternating between well-acted sequences and events, andMargott Robbie delivers such a strong and unbound performance, portraying figure-skating champion Tonya Harding, backed-up with a truthful plot and a magnificent picture and direction, alternating between well-acted sequences and events, and authentic re-created interviews with the people involved in the story. Another performance that stands out is Allison Janney's, who portrays Harding's mother with absolute excellence. On a side note, I really love the growing portion of cinema that sheds light on women, especially the films about real-life women who are pioneers in their fields (this year's 'I, Tonya' and 'Battle of the Sexes', and last year's 'Hidden Figures' and 'Jackie', and lots of other projects). All in all, the film makes for a well-executed, very enjoyable, ride. Expand
Compi24Jan 6, 2018
An immersive, fascinating, and - above all - meaningful look into the events, mistakes, and relationships that ultimately led up to one of the most bizarre blips in the history of human behavior and pop culture, "I, Tonya" excels in nearlyAn immersive, fascinating, and - above all - meaningful look into the events, mistakes, and relationships that ultimately led up to one of the most bizarre blips in the history of human behavior and pop culture, "I, Tonya" excels in nearly every facet of filmmaking possible. Performance-wise, these are some of the best you'll see all awards season, with Margot Robbie and Allison Janney offering up what could quite possibly be their career-best work. Screenwriting-wise, you're offered a fresh, atypically staged narrative with such rich thematic content and drama all throughout. Director Craig Gillespie also brings his A-game in helping depict a story with such a firm foothold in both the world of the comedy and the tragedy. It's a masterful effort, with such a "too crazy to be true" story at the center that should be seen in order to be believed. Expand
GinaKJan 9, 2018
This engrossing film has an outstanding cast and is very well-directed. The audience I was in seemed totally captivated by the weird story of Tonya Harding and her family. Allison Janney deserved her Golden Globe Award, but Margot Robbie wasThis engrossing film has an outstanding cast and is very well-directed. The audience I was in seemed totally captivated by the weird story of Tonya Harding and her family. Allison Janney deserved her Golden Globe Award, but Margot Robbie was also wonderful and completely believable. Too bad she has such incredible competition for an award this year. Expand
pnoyfilmtvadikFeb 13, 2018
An entertaining film to watch. Margot Robbie deserves a nomination as a recognition but due to inconsistencies in her character will not bag the gold. Allison Janney also deserves the nomination and they will probably give it to her.
marcmyworksMar 30, 2018
The narrative of I, Tonya is very similar to that of the 2003 film Monster wherein you feel the main character (Tonya Harding) is seen at first as sort of an antihero or a victim of circumstance, but then it becomes quite clear, as it is inThe narrative of I, Tonya is very similar to that of the 2003 film Monster wherein you feel the main character (Tonya Harding) is seen at first as sort of an antihero or a victim of circumstance, but then it becomes quite clear, as it is in life, that we are all in charge of our own destiny. Wonderfully directed and acted. Expand
eagleeyevikingJun 24, 2018
Led by exemplary performances from Allison Janney and Margot Robbie, "I, Tonya" is a mesmerisingly recounted biopic that is darkly funny, touching, and informative.
LeonardoAmatoJan 7, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The big heart of "I,Tonya" is perceptible as the film evolves, when the viewer begins to feel sorry for a woman knocked down by prejudices due to the society in which she leaves. Pleasant, fun, it gives the power to look at it while swinging on a frozen lake. Expand
MaxPayneIsGodMay 6, 2018
A really well done and stylish telling of the Tonya Harding, Nancy Kerrigan story. Hilariously dark, laugh out loud funny, excellently shot (borrowing heavily from early 90s Scorcese movies like GoodFellas and Casino) with a fantasticA really well done and stylish telling of the Tonya Harding, Nancy Kerrigan story. Hilariously dark, laugh out loud funny, excellently shot (borrowing heavily from early 90s Scorcese movies like GoodFellas and Casino) with a fantastic soundtrack. Thoroughly enjoyed it, really glad I saw it. Expand
TejasNairAug 10, 2018
I, Tonya is a film about nearly everything. It has a woman skater (Margot Robbie) being ruthlessly trained on her mother's (Allison Janney) insistence since she was 4; it has domestic abuse; and it has a stupid crime. Yet what has stayed withI, Tonya is a film about nearly everything. It has a woman skater (Margot Robbie) being ruthlessly trained on her mother's (Allison Janney) insistence since she was 4; it has domestic abuse; and it has a stupid crime. Yet what has stayed with me after I completed watching the movie was an exchange of dialogues between Robbie's character, Tonya Harding, and another who judged her skating performance few minutes ago and gave a bad rating. She asks why was she being rated low, to which the judge replies that performance is not only about skating, you have to project yourself as a good American from a wholesome family. "Why can't it be only about skating?", Harding asks and the judge drives away without an answer. I love that scene, and a plenty more in director Craig Gillespie's I, Tonya because it chafes the reality and serves it with dark comedy. I don't know if I laughed out loud in any of the scenes, but everyone in the cast look like they travelled back 20 years to play life, and I did chuckle a lot. Most notable Janney, Robbie, and Sebastian Stan in that order. I, Tonya is less about the sport and more about what external stimuli can do to someone who plays it. A good watch because it's a very well-made and objective film and not your usual biopic. TN. Expand
section20mi6Mar 28, 2018
A well-executed biopic on events that have controversial facts and figures with some comic elements to entertain the audience and amazing performance by Allison Janney, I, Tonya is certainly not ground-breaking in any way though, consideringA well-executed biopic on events that have controversial facts and figures with some comic elements to entertain the audience and amazing performance by Allison Janney, I, Tonya is certainly not ground-breaking in any way though, considering the certain biases in favor of Tonya Harding to invoke empathy and sympathy. Expand
AcaciaFeb 4, 2018
This movie was not at all what I expected. It was so much better! I really enjoyed the way it was presented with different characters telling their stories. All of the characters are doppelgängers for their real counterparts. I learnedThis movie was not at all what I expected. It was so much better! I really enjoyed the way it was presented with different characters telling their stories. All of the characters are doppelgängers for their real counterparts. I learned quite a lot that I did not know about the whole sordid Tonya Harding story. If the movie is to be believed, the story is quite different than the story I thought was true. All of the performances are strong and Allison Janney is appropriately creepy and crazy as Tonya’s horrible, abusive mother. The backstory is quite riveting and I was glued to the screen. Ever a dull moment. An excellemt movie! Expand
John935Jan 6, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pretty unusual biopic about a great figure-skater who was 'involved' in an attack on a competitor. Not a great film but quite a good one, partly for the audacity of its subject and its ability to retain ambiguity while holding our attention. Some of the ambuigity has to do with the 'incident' but also it pertains to the need to veer between comic and sad. How are we supposed to react? The film gives us no set answer. It's riveting anyway. Expand
lanceeyyFeb 11, 2018
I didn't read any reviews prior to seeing this movie. Coming in to the theater, naturally, I saw the movie poster plastered outside the cinema. The poster contained a quoted review from a critic: "A knockout!". Never has those words been moreI didn't read any reviews prior to seeing this movie. Coming in to the theater, naturally, I saw the movie poster plastered outside the cinema. The poster contained a quoted review from a critic: "A knockout!". Never has those words been more true.

I, Tonya presents sort of tongue-in-cheek chronicle of the life of Olympic figure skater Tonya Harding. I. Loved. This. Movie. What more can I say? Actually, I can say a lot more. So let's break it down.

First of all, I didn't expect the movie to be a comedy. I thought of it more of a drama, but hey, it worked. The humor is dark, funny, and spot on. I loved the 4th wall breaks, too. The movie is funny for the most part, but serious at parts where it matters. I, Tonya is categorized as a comedy, but I left the cinema with a hole in my chest. I thought to myself, this is a sad movie. You get to see Tonya growing up, how she was raised, how her mother raised her, and how she was treated. Nobody deserves to be treated like that. There were times in the movie where I just wanted to straight up break down. This movie got to me. Acting: Margot Robbie, Sebastian Stan, and Allsion Janney were sensational in this movie. Margot Robbie, I gotta hand it to her. She brought her A-game here. Last I saw here was in Suicide Squad, and that movie really sucked. I hope she does more roles like I, Tonya, and less of the Suicide Squad types. Her acting was raw, emotional, and you can really empathize with her character. Margot Robbie takes you for a ride. You laugh with her, cry with her, get angry with her. You can feel her frustrations in life. Cinematography is great. Especially on the ice. The camera glides smoothly along as Margot Robbie skates. The close ups of the actor's faces is just gravy. Special mention to the make up. I loved how the make-up was done, and the costumes. It was very accurate, and the hair too. I'm all over the place. I'm too hype. The clothes were appropriate for the time period, and they were accurate as to how the characters in real life wore them. Overall, I give this movie 9.5/10 but Metacritic just does increments of 1, so I rounded down to 9. But man, this movie is what I'd call a must-see. It tics all the boxes. Acting, screenplay, costume, cinematography. What I really appreciated from the director is the end credits. It's a nice touch, and I hope more movies would get into that.

I highly recommend this movie to anyone wanting a laugh, AND a cry. This movie will keep you laughing, initially, then the weight of the character's plight gets to you. Hopefully it won't destroy you like it did me. I, Tonya is, indeed, A knockout!!
PipeCApr 26, 2018
It wasn't her fault. Uncovering the most controversial scandals in sports history has become cannon fodder for some writers this season. Late last year, Netflix's eye-opening documentary, "Icarus," faced up to the dishonest doping methodIt wasn't her fault. Uncovering the most controversial scandals in sports history has become cannon fodder for some writers this season. Late last year, Netflix's eye-opening documentary, "Icarus," faced up to the dishonest doping method created for hundreds of cyclists and athletes consciously by way of a narrative enough expressive and refined to take home one coveted Academy Award. In other circumstances, the seventh art chose to portray one of the most talked and paralyzing "incidents" in the history of female figure skating, Tonya Maxene Harding's.

It's not necessary to say that, in the first period, who seizes the story is Allison Janney, an Oscar-winning actress who plays the figure-skating prodigy's chain-smoking, domineering soulless mother. At an acting level, Janney is superb as LaVona, a character who demanded a complicated search for humanity amongst so much revulsion and coldness. Surprisingly, she gets it by using her overwhelming talent that knows the exact point between containment and emotional overflow.

In the second stage, two big screen giants take the lead, the actors who must handle the rest of the story. On the one hand, there is an unexpectedly fiery Sebastian Stan, whose performance reveals an overwhelming dramatic range, necessary and extremely functional to the story because of his character, Jeff is a great gamble in the mind of any actor because, as well as requiring a serious dedication and a keen eye to take the right positions in the right circumstances, it comes with a deep analysis on unwavering machismo in that time, however, also involves peculiarity portraying certain relationships in which women don't decide to cut a toxic relationship off. Stan left me speechless with the first blow, I didn't think at all that his role would take a turn as exciting as disturbing. And the big star of the show comes into play: Margot Robbie. The actress plays the title figure skater, Tonya, who must stand earnest personal falls throughout her life to understand that most of those unfortunate events coming her way almost daily have been consequences of the past, that "it's never my fault" card, repeated constantly by her, proves the irreverently empowered spirit of the woman, one which won't embrace man's injustice. The character is very caustic but deeply disturbing from the perspective in which the story exhibits it. The third stage can be named as the grand finale, the one that thousands of people in the 94's knew, yes, that "incident". A clear genre switch is perceived in this part, as it replaces the kind of black humor comedy with drama, and then jump to a singular thriller against the clock about the search for the culprit, a risky bet that could hurt the excellent dramatic construction that was being set up to that point. Besides, the whodunit sub-plot doesn't upstage the storyline, instead, it's articulated when it should and when it doesn't, allows the main story to follow its course to re-incorporate in the end, because we're there to see Tonya's full heap of trouble and that aspect has an important role. Artistically and technically, Gillespie's film excels, first of all, by the precise handling of incomparable framing and angles, putting in the second place its cinematography and the staging of other moments. Film inventiveness concerning the photographic stuff underlines what the script doesn't achieve by means of a simple but vivacious visual power, never falling into plasticity and always treating the vision of the director with respect. An unexpected and rebellious fourth wall breaking is highlighted, an unaccustomed technique in a drama and even more in a film of this nature, smashing the traditional rules imposed for biographical adaptations, it endows the film with an interesting satirical air that together with mockumentary style with which present the dramatized interviews, present an enviable balance between black humor and sentimental drama.

"I, Tonya" by Australian Craig Gillespie manufactures an aggressive portrayal about broken dreams, ambitions and success, vices, repercussions and defeats, working as, in addition to a voyeuristic and enlightening vehicle for the events that stirred the sporting world, an opportunity for gifted actors to push to the limit their interpretative skills. Stan, Robbie, and Janney keep firm the story from beginning to end with their impressive talent, fortifying Gillespie's intriguing vision and strange career, a filmmaker who with more indie stories could make a space among the giants. Incendiary, intense and praiseworthy acted, this film definitely puts a spotlight on actress-turned-producer Margot Robbie while showing a sweeping and realistic cinematic look at an event of unimaginable media outreach.
CineAutoctonoFeb 19, 2018
"I, Tonya" is undoubtedly a wild and outstanding film in its style, the story of Tonya Harding is very well told, although too aggressive and wild, the performances of the characters are equally wild but very elegant. This film breaks all the"I, Tonya" is undoubtedly a wild and outstanding film in its style, the story of Tonya Harding is very well told, although too aggressive and wild, the performances of the characters are equally wild but very elegant. This film breaks all the barriers of biographical cinema in all its splendor in a daring way. Expand
nj06Mar 12, 2018
This is a fantastic film - the best of 2017 in my opinion. The acting is superb, the story is compelling, and the emotions are genuine. Highly recommended.
Poor_LenoFeb 23, 2018
Enjoyable film. It has funny parts and is quite inspiring. Margot Robbie did a brilliant performance and I feel her character was well fleshed out. The story however doesn't really stray from details about Tonya skating and being beaten up.Enjoyable film. It has funny parts and is quite inspiring. Margot Robbie did a brilliant performance and I feel her character was well fleshed out. The story however doesn't really stray from details about Tonya skating and being beaten up. That's basically all you see for the majority of the film which isn't bad but it does get a bit samey. Solid 7/10. Expand
davd123Feb 24, 2018
This is probably the craziest story based on true events I have ever seen. I like how it has deep messages in it like injustice in sports and in life in general. I laughed, I cried I felt so many emotions during this movie. Even though IThis is probably the craziest story based on true events I have ever seen. I like how it has deep messages in it like injustice in sports and in life in general. I laughed, I cried I felt so many emotions during this movie. Even though I didn't knew nothing about Tonya Harding I felt every moment like she was my best friend. Expand
pdw123Jan 10, 2018
Absolutely hands down simply incredible, and my best picture of 2017, by a long shot. Notwithstanding the no holds barred scenes, language and very intense subject matter; a film no American should miss. It has it all here: abusiveAbsolutely hands down simply incredible, and my best picture of 2017, by a long shot. Notwithstanding the no holds barred scenes, language and very intense subject matter; a film no American should miss. It has it all here: abusive mothers, spouses, but also the abusive and ambulance chasing press and little people who always wanted to be BIG, wanted their Warhol 15 min. of fame---but not in the classic sense. Either Janney or Robbie should garner best actress or supporting or picture. Expand
Willyam_CarrJan 17, 2018
What surprised me most about this film is how clever the editing is. While most films opt get laughs from dialogue or sight gags, 'I, Tonya' chooses to make comedy out of the way the film is put together. Margot Robbie gives a performanceWhat surprised me most about this film is how clever the editing is. While most films opt get laughs from dialogue or sight gags, 'I, Tonya' chooses to make comedy out of the way the film is put together. Margot Robbie gives a performance that will launch her career from movie star to actress. She plays the role as the determined, but vulnerable skater with grace and tenacity. However, the best turn in the film comes from Allison Janney. As the mother of Tonya Harding, Janney gives a layered and deeply moving performance, that is laugh-out-loud hilarious. Expand
alejandro970Mar 4, 2018
True life drama of the rise and fall of figure skater Tonya Harding. The corrosive black humor and magnifical performances of Robbie and Jannie -as the evil, **** mother of Harding- are enough compelling for catch the attention of viewer. OneTrue life drama of the rise and fall of figure skater Tonya Harding. The corrosive black humor and magnifical performances of Robbie and Jannie -as the evil, **** mother of Harding- are enough compelling for catch the attention of viewer. One of best of 2017. Expand
BroyaxNov 14, 2018
C'est un lieu commun de dire cela mais encore une fois, la réalité dépasse la fiction... en effet, n'importe quel scénariste qui se serait pointé avec une histoire pareille se serait vu refouler sur-le-champ aux alcooliques anonymes...

Cela

Cela dit, si le nom de la patineuse me disait vaguement quelque chose, j'ignorais tout de l'affaire, car à dire vrai je ne regarde jamais le patinage artistique et encore moins les JO du dopage. En tout cas, un rôle tout désigné pour Margot Robbie qui prouve et démontre ici avec talent qu'il faut parier sur la grande blonde même sans batte de baseball. Dans ce rôle à tout le moins physique et psychologique à la fois, elle s'impose avec brio.

Cette biographie bien menée et très dynamique nous retrace donc le parcours de la pauvre Tonya, enfant ici à l'insu de son plein gré d'Emile Zola et de Victor Hugo réunis : difficile de trouver mieux en matière de pathos social avec sa mère (indescriptible...), son mari (inénarrable) et le pote de son mari (tu peux pas test...). Tout cela est stupéfiant, très édifiant mais narré de façon tantôt cynique tantôt ironique avec un mélange bien secoué des deux de temps à autre.

On peut regretter -et on le regrette fortement, on le déplore même- toutes ces interventions face à la caméra, celles où les comédiens s'adressent directement au spectateur, d'autant plus que des "interviews" s'occupent déjà de nous raconter rétrospectivement tout ce bazar. On a bien compris que c'était un film, pas un documentaire !

Par ailleurs, l'abus de musique de merde, une musique en général trop souvent envahissante, ça nous casse les oreilles en plus de nous casser d'autres choses : merci d'éviter à l'avenir. En dehors de ça, la mise en scène est très efficace et bien percutante.

Quoi qu'il en soit, si le film s'avère drôle par son approche grinçante, voire satirique, il n'en est jamais superficiel et dresse finalement un portrait très humain et émouvant de cette pauvre fille devenue célèbre mais pas forcément pour les bonnes raisons...
qMar 14, 2018
I had little interest in the Harding/Kerrigan incident when it actually occurred, and so I was surprised that I genuinely enjoyed this movie and was motivated by it subsequently to watch online a recent ABC documentary about the affair. TheI had little interest in the Harding/Kerrigan incident when it actually occurred, and so I was surprised that I genuinely enjoyed this movie and was motivated by it subsequently to watch online a recent ABC documentary about the affair. The movie is compelling, to some extent, the way a train wreck is: so many of the principals in the drama--including Tonya herself--were dysfunctional, low-rent ne'er-do-wells living lives of chaotic desperation and inflicting their pathologies on each other like the norovirus. All of the actors do a remarkable job of bringing to the screen the real-life qualities of their characters, although the young woman playing Tonya arguably is a bit too classically beautiful to be mistaken for Tonya, who, on a good day, might be charitably described as "cute." The people tasked with creating the ice skating scenes did an extraordinary job with their special effects. It is a relief, at the end of the film, to learn that most of the loony tunes who had sullied Olympic history ultimately grew up and achieved some stability and productivity later in life, although the obese possuer who had appointed himself Tonya's bodyguard croaked at the age of 40. Expand
AkumaJackMay 18, 2018
A surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one. Never thought this film could be good, but it's one of the best of 2017. It is funny and kinda sad. Tonya's life was strange and deserved to be told in a movie.
mrdr4gonMar 15, 2018
The anger that the film left me with on behalf of Tonya Harding (as portrayed here as a character, if not the real person) is a testament to how brilliantly put together the whole thing was. As a piece of writing, the film is mostly terrificThe anger that the film left me with on behalf of Tonya Harding (as portrayed here as a character, if not the real person) is a testament to how brilliantly put together the whole thing was. As a piece of writing, the film is mostly terrific (only faltering a little at the climax) the acting of everyone involved is ridiculously spot on, both in terms of performance and impersonation. The stylish presentation of the film is also to be commended, with solid direction, very strong, well timed editing and cinematography that managed to be incredibly involving and visceral at times without ever feeling in your face.

The only real faults with the film I could find was the jarring transition between 12 year old and 15 year old Tonya (I don't buy that something that looks like THAT aged 12 would look like Margot Robbie at the age of 15, there should have been another intermediately aged actress for those few scenes.) The aforementioned climax problem (possibly could have been solved through telling the story non-chronologically, but I don't know if that'd have made the story too hard to follow for some people as it is somewhat unconventional already in its support of multiple somewhat contradictory narratives) and most of all I think some of the more repetitive scenes could have been cut back slightly in favor of exploring other angles of the story in more depth.

Overall though the film was fantastic.
ilyakorenevskyiFeb 18, 2018
It is an exiting movie, and an amazing, dramatic story about strong woman, about hero. I realy like it, and I hope you would like it too
SilentTacticianMar 16, 2018
"I was loved, I was hated and then I was a punchline." Tells the story of Tonya and the life of living with her mother. All she wants is to skate and be the best a what she does. Decent story but the plot drags at times. Better with alcohol.
delineoFeb 9, 2018
This is like a greek tragedy. An entertaining greek tragedy. Which is such a weird, but wonderful, thing. It doesn't present Tonya as someone who couldn't escape her circumstances - it does something better. It shows us how Tonya held tightThis is like a greek tragedy. An entertaining greek tragedy. Which is such a weird, but wonderful, thing. It doesn't present Tonya as someone who couldn't escape her circumstances - it does something better. It shows us how Tonya held tight to her love of skating like a lifesaver in the midst of her horrible circumstances. In that way, she triumphed. This movie is also a triumph. Expand
whoischarlotteFeb 28, 2018
That was amazing and Margot Robbie was 10/10. This is such an underrated best picture nominee and it really does deserve more recognition!
bigscreen454Mar 4, 2018
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It’s a great movie about a dysfunctional family from Hicksville USA where Tonya achieves Olympic glory. Based on a true story about people who don’t want to talk about truth. In fact, Tonya says at one time in the film that “truth does not exist.” Some of the dysfunctionality seems made up or hard to believe it is truthful at times during the film. Such as the one time Tonya’s boyfriend shoots her and the cops let him go because he can apparently “talk himself out of anything.” It portrays Tonya to be not only a Olympian but also a survivor. The mother in the story played by Allison Janney gave a phenomenal performance as a mother who didn’t give a damn about her daughter. We seldom see portrayals like this on the big screen. She doesn’t love her daughter. I believe she should get the Oscar for which she is nominated for in the Best Supporting Actress Category. I liked the scene where tonya hugged her mom and she didn’t hug her back. THEN she asks her mother if she ever loved her. The type of love the mother had for her daughter is referenced and ‘tough love’ seems to be the theme. There were some great moments in the film that get you to think Tonya has it hard and maybe builds some sympathy for her character. I also think Margot Robbie did an excellent job with her character, the acting was superb. Kinda makes you wonder where she puts her mind at- the scene where she is preparing to go perform on the olympic ice and she cries with a single tear falling down her face, superb! There were other moments where Tonya cries that are also well done by Margot Robbie.

The supporting characters were also great. With it based on real characters makes you think we need to do more with America’s in shambles education system. The characters were stupid and that’s why they were caught.

Overall I highly recommend seeing I Tonya, it is a very human story with a great portrayal by all actors making a believable story and it brings back the nostalgia of the Olympics.
kiankJan 21, 2018
A hilarious, real, and sad movie, I, Tonya checked almost all the boxes for me. Margot Robbie and Allison Janey's performance was very compelling and amazing overall. The movie had a lot of suspense and I was on the edge of my seat theA hilarious, real, and sad movie, I, Tonya checked almost all the boxes for me. Margot Robbie and Allison Janey's performance was very compelling and amazing overall. The movie had a lot of suspense and I was on the edge of my seat the whole time. You really feel for Tonya by the end of it but the story is just so well done. I enjoy it when they cut the story for their own commentary. Overall, I would give it a 8.9. Expand
Tcurran2Jan 13, 2018
Margot Robbie gives the performance of her lifetime as the disgraced Olympic skater, Tonya Harding, in this unconventional biopic, told in a faux documentary manner. That stylistic choice allows the screenwriter, Steven Rogers, to have someMargot Robbie gives the performance of her lifetime as the disgraced Olympic skater, Tonya Harding, in this unconventional biopic, told in a faux documentary manner. That stylistic choice allows the screenwriter, Steven Rogers, to have some fun with the events of the story. Characters break the fourth wall and disagree with each other's version of events frequently. At one point in the film, Harding brandishes a shotgun and stares down the barrel of the camera, claiming that she never did anything of the sort in real life. Just a moment later, she fires the weapon in the general direction of her estranged husband, Jeff Gillooly (Sebastian Stan). It is as riotously funny as it is disturbing. Harding's mother, Lavona Golden, is played with sardonic menace by Allison Janney, whose emotional and physical abuse is both played for laughs and for drama. Tightly paced and visually interesting with its late 80s/early 90s aesthetic, the film especially shines during the actual skating scenes. Set to the tune of 80s pop music, Robbie, with the assistance of CGI, body doubles, and spectacular rotational camera movements, "I, Tonya" thrills as a conventional sports movie, although it is far from that in every narrative aspect. The film could do with less editorializing, however. The film's final act assumes the audience needs help to grasp the thematic message of the film with its heavy handed final voice over. Robbie's courtroom speech near the conclusion is too on the nose as well, and being that it is accompanied with a slow dolly in on Robbie's face, it feels as if the filmmakers wish for her to start crying out for the Academy Award right then and there. Just a pair of small complaints, which hardly derail the experience. If "The Post" was about the triumph of the media, then "I, Tonya" is a cautionary tale on what the media can do when they choose to create and fulfill their own narratives about a story. Harding is reprimanded by skating judges several times throughout the film for failing to fit the image of a prim and proper lady. Harding's rough and tumble, unabashedly redneck image is rejected by the judges, as it was rejected by the public at large over 20 years ago. Whether this film will change (or should change) that perception, time will tell. But speaking of time, at a neat two hours, you should carve that time out of your schedule to go see this film. Expand
WalterTSolleyJan 25, 2018
Deliriously entertaining movie that purports to tell the life story of former figure skater Tonya Harding from her point of view. “I, Tonya” is equal parts comedic and tragic, and features some of the best performances of the year. MargotDeliriously entertaining movie that purports to tell the life story of former figure skater Tonya Harding from her point of view. “I, Tonya” is equal parts comedic and tragic, and features some of the best performances of the year. Margot Robbie and Allison Janney are terrifically affecting as Tonya and her mother, LaVona. The style, and spirit, of “I, Tonya” is reminiscent of Jonathan Kaplan’s great 1983 biopic about Shirley Muldowney, “Heart Like a Wheel”, and I don’t think I’ve enjoyed a fact based, sports centric movie more since. “I, Tonya” doesn’t even pretend to be objective. But a story that is this much fun, and gives you the feeling that you understand who Tonya Harding is, doesn’t need to be. Expand
KaustavJan 28, 2018
It is a good semi-biopic. Not excellent to store away in your Hard Drive but not bad enough to diss in your next **** post. If nothing else, I applaud Margot Robbie's performance. it should gotten an Oscar nomination, despite all the otherIt is a good semi-biopic. Not excellent to store away in your Hard Drive but not bad enough to diss in your next **** post. If nothing else, I applaud Margot Robbie's performance. it should gotten an Oscar nomination, despite all the other great actors in there.
The movie is the weird mix of changing camera shots, documentary style shots and fourth wall breaks that brings alive a portrayal why a woman like Tonya Harding turned out. The story of her life being one of cruelty, abuse and misguided emotions is a right proper tragedy and there is darkly humorous about how that is shown - which was necessary to keep the focus on the character herself rather than the abuse. It tells of Harding as a violent woman, a stupid woman, a simple woman, an innocent woman, an accomplice woman, an unfulfilled woman, a problematic woman whose life is the indictment of the American way of life. The movie wants you to know that is it giving the truth. I suggest you take out two hours of your time and find out if you are in agreement with that. And on the off chance you aren't, it is still a good movie to put on your checklist.
Jesus15IzturisJan 4, 2018
One of the best movies of the year, with Margot Robbie and Allison Janney given Oscar worthy performances, "I, Tonya" is not a documentary that tries to investigate the truth of the Nancy Kerrigan attack, instead it is a film that humorouslyOne of the best movies of the year, with Margot Robbie and Allison Janney given Oscar worthy performances, "I, Tonya" is not a documentary that tries to investigate the truth of the Nancy Kerrigan attack, instead it is a film that humorously shows the side Tonya Harding's story, which she considers the truth Expand
amheretojudgeJan 28, 2018
then, i was just a punch line..

I, Tonya All the figure skating clips and the whole "incident" of which she was accused of is shot stunningly dreadful and beautiful at the same time; it was well shot, great D.O.P. and everything and most
then, i was just a punch line..

I, Tonya

All the figure skating clips and the whole "incident" of which she was accused of is shot stunningly dreadful and beautiful at the same time; it was well shot, great D.O.P. and everything and most importantly acted out brilliantly. I, Tonya is filled with these amazing sequences which seems like a beautiful poetry to all the biographical genre movie who rarely gets it to-the-point and right for it focuses on the target after its first act which was basically prepping the characters for the audience in just the most hilarious way possible. Margot Robbie puts all of her chips into it which is clearly visible on her figure skating skills and also the last mirror scene, is just pure talent. Allison Janney and Sebastian Stan's support is strong and reliable and so is Paul Walter Hauser; he is hilarious in it. Craig's amusing way to project this not-so-funny story in a light humor tone (especially when the actors talk to the audience) is something familiar from American Made and it worked pretty good there and it does here too. I, Tonya stands alone in this genre just like Hacksaw Ridge as it focuses more on content, odd characters and just pure entertainment.
AverageJakeMar 23, 2018
good good good good good good good im a boy but i promise this movie is actually great
areyesgFeb 22, 2018
A masterpiece. Definitely a must-see. Since its genre is very simple, the major climax is a soft one, nevertheless that does not ruin the film. It is a well-executed, adapted and enjoyable ride. It lets you decide whether what truth you wantA masterpiece. Definitely a must-see. Since its genre is very simple, the major climax is a soft one, nevertheless that does not ruin the film. It is a well-executed, adapted and enjoyable ride. It lets you decide whether what truth you want to believe. In terms of technicity, the film is spectacular; the visual effects are remarkable, the editing is very well done and the soundtrack is spot-on. The direction is beyond belief. Not only the direction was good, but the performances too; both male and female supporting roles were powerful. Sebastian Stan is a beloved actor, but in this film his role is so infuriating and he delivers such a great performance that you end up disliking him. Allison Janney is something else, her character is despiteful and yet you love it so much, her performance is truly award-worthy. Now, Margot Robbie is outstanding. She portrays Tonya so well that you know that she definitely was committed to the role. Learned figure skating, injured herself and still managed to produce the film. She put her heart and soul into this project and you feel and see that on the final product. Her performance delivered such an emotion and depth that you go up and down with this emotional rollercoaster that was Tonya Harding’s rise and fall. Expand
CoKronakanFeb 24, 2019
Tonya was a very crafty movie that did everything very good or better than average. You can not really find any faults in this movie. The acting the directing the writing script and the story, plot and every other little element was deliveredTonya was a very crafty movie that did everything very good or better than average. You can not really find any faults in this movie. The acting the directing the writing script and the story, plot and every other little element was delivered in style and the 4th wall breaks where a fresh addition as well. Also The raw emotion that this movie is was building real tension in the viewer as the movie proceeded. The humor was also good. But also the over exaggerating adjectives of some characters for the big screen was silly.
Overall this is a very good movie which was made with love for art, sport and film making.
gunnarjaramilloFeb 18, 2018
Absolutely incredible movie, I would highly recommend to anyone who has ever experienced hardship.
LDDarkMar 3, 2018
I, Tonya isn't a happy movie and tells the story of a tough woman with a tough life. It is brutally honest and shocking, shown through brilliant performances, in particular the titular role played by Margot Robbie and a mean Allison Janney,I, Tonya isn't a happy movie and tells the story of a tough woman with a tough life. It is brutally honest and shocking, shown through brilliant performances, in particular the titular role played by Margot Robbie and a mean Allison Janney, whose cruel and stiff personality will likely make your eyes widen towards the end, at just how evil she is. The story is well displayed and I could feel my self feeling what the main characters where going through, good or bad. Expand
AscosporeApr 1, 2018
A cleverly made film with a solid soundtrack, and quite insightful into the events leading up to 'the incident' and the media circus that followed, not to mention the pretentious culture around figure skating, and of course Tonya HardingA cleverly made film with a solid soundtrack, and quite insightful into the events leading up to 'the incident' and the media circus that followed, not to mention the pretentious culture around figure skating, and of course Tonya Harding herself (to which it pulls no punches, literally). Expand
EgeBerkNov 26, 2018
I,TONYA was definitely a movie with too many expectations.
I,TONYA was definitely a movie with too many expectations.
Margot Robbie and Allison Janney oscara nomination(Allison Janney win) this movie was nice and I wanted to watch for a while,but as a result I can say that did not come out as expected.

Obviously I didn't even like it at all.I had a very dramatic life story that I didn't know about Tonya Harding's life before watching the film,and I thought that if it were actually transferred with a more emotional film, this story would hold much more.Now that the comment is a little more like how funny I say.

The characters in the intermittent conversation with the camera, for example bothered me.
yes i do not like the film, but margot robbie academy prize is deserved to be nominated,in the same way, allison janney deserved to win.
lucianosantoroJul 2, 2020
simplismente o melhor filme daquele ano. margot robbie excelente merecia muito o oscar
SakataOct 11, 2018
"I, Tonya" undoubtedly contains the best performances of (then) promising Margot Robbie and veteran Allison Janney, who earned the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for her role.
TimKgamerOct 14, 2018
This is a pretty great movie. Great performances and makes sure the real story is told. Tonya Harding was a victim too.
seanmcmahonNov 17, 2018
I absolutely loved this film and it should have won Margot an Oscar. As it says, it isn't 100% true as far as they can tell but that adds to the story. This movie made you see the prejudice that happened towards Tonya and actually made meI absolutely loved this film and it should have won Margot an Oscar. As it says, it isn't 100% true as far as they can tell but that adds to the story. This movie made you see the prejudice that happened towards Tonya and actually made me feel for her and the way she was treated. The movie also makes room for comedy that we probably shouldn't laugh at but can't help it.
Overall, an amazing film that I can watch hundreds of times without becoming bored.
IsaacJJan 9, 2019
History’s most notorious sports scandal is given fresh blood by director Craig Gillespie in this darkly comic and funky biopic of figure skater, Tonya Harding (a brilliant Margot Robbie). As we discover in the film, Tonya was on her way toHistory’s most notorious sports scandal is given fresh blood by director Craig Gillespie in this darkly comic and funky biopic of figure skater, Tonya Harding (a brilliant Margot Robbie). As we discover in the film, Tonya was on her way to Olympian success in the mid 90s, only to see her career crumble after she was implicated in an assault on fellow competitor, Nancy Kerrigan. The film is a passion project of lead actress, Margot Robbie, who co-produces and approaches her role as Tonya with equal verve. Robbie is sensational as the poor, redneck outsider in a world of prissy skaters, whose talent is matched only by her penchant for confrontation. The actress manages to combine this **** em” attitude with a naivety and succeeds in creating a character that is wonderfully nuanced and developed.
The film is told in a mockumentary-style; like the media storm that covered the so-called “incident”, I, Tonya’s story is told through a kaleidoscope of conflicting stories from its key characters looking back on the events (“I never did this”, Tonya says bluntly to the camera as she chases her ex-husband Jeff (an assured Sebastian Stan) off the lawn with a shotgun). The mockumentary style doesn’t tire, easing the film structurally and providing for some comedy. The fourth wall breaks are on occasion a little distracting, but only add to what is a delightfully quirky execution by Gillespie. The jukebox soundtrack is equally fabulous, smartly chosen to keep the narrative moving (the use of Cliff Richard’s Devil Woman for Tonya’s abusive mother’s first entrance is pure theatre).
It is not just the infamous assault that I, Tonya details; much of the film is about Harding’s early life and her desperate struggle to make it as a skater, despite being from a poor background and schooled by abuse. Allison Janney is the film’s stand-out performer, playing Tonya’s chain-smoking mother, LaVona, whose idea of motivation involves hitting her daughter with hairbrushes (“One ****ing time”, she says nonchalantly, though we are led to believe otherwise). Janney is suitably monstrous, stealing pretty much every scene she walks into. Other performances are lively enough, but it is clearly Robbie and Janney who carry the film.
Breaking up the action are the slickly choreographed skating sequences; shot less like ice capades and more like action sequences, these sections help to break up what is a packed and pacey film. Though pace never lags, the first half zigs zags in a more disjointed (though still fiercely entertaining) first hour. The second half is where the film really finds its feet, well-constructed and riveting.
I, Tonya feels, in reality, like two films. On the one hand, it’s a post-modern black comedy, complete with Deadpool-esque fourth wall breaks. On the other hand, however, it’s a harrowing look at domestic abuse and a subtle critique of American society. Though it seems clear that the former is Gillespie’s primary intention, the film sometimes feels tonally confused. Whatever it does, however, it does very well, with style and punch.
Craig Gillespie has succeeded in crafting a dynamic biopic, boosted by stellar performances from Margot Robbie and Allison Janney. Though it’s not always as sharp as a skate blade, I, Tonya is brilliant entertainment.
geewahJan 8, 2021
One of the films of 2017.
Funny, clever and original in it's telling.
Robbie is sensational in the lead role of Tonya Harding as is the always good Janney as Tonya's mum.