Paramount Pictures | Release Date: October 21, 2016
5.7
Mixed or average reviews based on 180 Ratings
Watch Now
Muskrat147Oct 21, 2016
Extremely formulaic in its structure and storytelling, Jack Reacher: Never Go Back is only mildly interesting when it comes to the action sequences, and even those scenes are poorly executed and somewhat boring.
TVJerryOct 25, 2016
Tom Cruise is back as the badass from the novels. The usually solo action hero teams up with an officer accused of treason (Cobie Smulders) to uncover the crooks behind a conspiracy. There's lots of running, a few gunfights, plenty ofTom Cruise is back as the badass from the novels. The usually solo action hero teams up with an officer accused of treason (Cobie Smulders) to uncover the crooks behind a conspiracy. There's lots of running, a few gunfights, plenty of hand-to-hand combat and some personal interaction. It's all competently staged, but nothing stands out. Pretty much a by-the-numbers action flick with a steely Cruise sharing the screen with an equally tough woman. Expand
Fluid_DynamicsOct 21, 2016
If you're a fan of the Jack Reacher franchise, or just out looking for an action movie some night in the near future we think you'll be entertained. Tom Cruise and Cobie Smulders do nice enough work with what they were handed. However, oneIf you're a fan of the Jack Reacher franchise, or just out looking for an action movie some night in the near future we think you'll be entertained. Tom Cruise and Cobie Smulders do nice enough work with what they were handed. However, one of the bigger challenges with this film was the dialog. We would think at this point, that with all the other things vying for our attention, that if a studio is going to go through the effort of funding and making a movie, they would try just a smidge' harder on this now. There are so many wonderful writers out there. But after the first little bit of this film (which was pleasant enough) you'll have to sit through a fair amount of cliche.

Also, as a minor amusing note: whoever approved the wardrobe on this film really likes black. Have fun noticing that. It's always charming when they show the the trade craft of these various professionals trying to inconspicuously follow each other, all wearing black. The black leather gloves were an especially nice touch! Bravo! Oh, that was the villain?! Thank you! We didn't know.

Plenty of good special operations consultants out there now, please listen to them a touch more. A fair number of your audience will have been in the military at this point, and they, and all of us will appreciate some extra little touches of authenticity, even if we know it's fantasy. Anyway, if you're looking for action movies right now, this is an decent choice But there a couple other options out there. If that's the case, we'd recommend checking them out in the following order instead: 1) Hell or High Water, 2) The Accountant, 3) Jason Bourne. The Metacritic users seem to agree. And you'll have even more fun!
AxeTOct 23, 2016
The first one of these was under-rated and a decent entry in this genre (8). This time, though it begins well, unfortunately it devolves into a highly formulaic trudge through which drags badly in the second half. Director Zwick on boardThe first one of these was under-rated and a decent entry in this genre (8). This time, though it begins well, unfortunately it devolves into a highly formulaic trudge through which drags badly in the second half. Director Zwick on board this time for his family values touch wasn't a bad idea. The problem as much as anything is sheer over-saturation of drawn out formula plotting in all these efforts.

As far as Cruise, like always he's good and will almost pull you through the seen it all before proceedings here. And unlike the abominably bad "Jason Bourne" for example (which does not get nearly the wrath that worthless junk deserves), Cruise towers over Damon as a star and makes this kind of similar action fare with much hand to hand combat and typical over-the-top gunplay much more amusing and even sometimes funny compared to the one dimensional dour Bourne franchise. This movie is also crafted in classical Hollywood manner and therefore trounces that phony cheap handheld consumer level poorly shot documentary simulated rubbish posing as edgy state-of-the-art realism that the stupid filmmakers of the last Bourne so-called film erroneously believe to be engaging to an audience when if the audience and jackass critics were honest, they would clearly and emphatically label as pure s---. At least this movie doesn't annoy the s--- out of you.
opinionatethisOct 22, 2016
More like Jack Reacher: Never Going Back to See That One.

Almost all the Tom Cruise criteria was met for this movie: - constant chewing/jaw-clenching - running - smashing through wall/glass - breaking a phone The only thing
More like Jack Reacher: Never Going Back to See That One.

Almost all the Tom Cruise criteria was met for this movie:

- constant chewing/jaw-clenching
- running
- smashing through wall/glass
- breaking a phone

The only thing missing is Tom Cruise riding a motorcycle. Too bad.
Tony1984Nov 23, 2016
The first Jack Reacher movie was surprisingly good. Unfortunately this follow isn't. Cruise just didn't have the material to work with to save this. Supporting cast were non entities, villains were cardboard cutouts with zero menace and theThe first Jack Reacher movie was surprisingly good. Unfortunately this follow isn't. Cruise just didn't have the material to work with to save this. Supporting cast were non entities, villains were cardboard cutouts with zero menace and the script adaptation was poor . Blame must be laid at the directors door. Can't remember a Tom Cruise movie as poor. I was drifting off to sleep at the end. Expand
GreatMartinOct 21, 2016
Walking into “Jack Reacher: Never Go Back”, starring Tom Cruise, you should know what to expect and that’s what you get with a little more humor than usual. Of course, as with any action film, you have to check the logical part of your brainWalking into “Jack Reacher: Never Go Back”, starring Tom Cruise, you should know what to expect and that’s what you get with a little more humor than usual. Of course, as with any action film, you have to check the logical part of your brain outside the auditorium.

Come on, it is great, it is fun, seeing Cruise, at the age of 54, fighting 5-6 guys without losing any energy or breathing hard. He wrestles a guy, they fall off a building and he gets punched, kicked in the stomach, legs, in the head and still get up and demolish the other guy!

Does it make a difference what the story is? You know it is about some big organization and the mean CEO and the good guys/gals going after them and you don’t even have to be told who will win.

A bit of a difference here is that he partners with Major Susan Turner (Cobie Smulders) who keeps up with him running—and there is a lot of running—and fighting the enemy. Another female in the movie is teenager Samantha (Danilka Yarosh), who could or could not be Reacher’s daughter, who brings some humor and smarts as only a teenager can.

Yes there is one fight too many and each is a bit long while we have the action movie mandatory car chases and let’s not forget the hissable villain here played by Patrick Heusinger.

All the heroes, heroines and villains do their job well in the movie and Cruise, though no longer with a 6 pack stomach, but has a shirtless scene, has nothing to be ashamed of and when he threatens to break a man’s arms, legs and neck he does just that, in that order, as easy as he jumps off another building.

“Jack Reacher: Never Go Back” is a fun movie, a movie that we use to run to as kids on a Saturday afternoon and practice the star’s moves on the walk home. Go ahead and relive your childhood or have a second one at a movie house near you. And don’t forget to get a bag of popcorn!
rlindauOct 22, 2016
I love the Reacher books, but while the first Reacher movie was OK, this one was worse. Some critics' reviews talk about Cruise throwing his all into the role, but to me he just looked pudgy and too old for the role (reacher is supposed toI love the Reacher books, but while the first Reacher movie was OK, this one was worse. Some critics' reviews talk about Cruise throwing his all into the role, but to me he just looked pudgy and too old for the role (reacher is supposed to be, what, 35?). The plot was unconvincing, with whatever facts motivated Reacher's conclusions and actions remained obscure or mysteries. The part I enjoyed most was Lee Child's semi-cameo - to me, he's a guy who looks like Reacher... Expand
EpicLadySpongeOct 21, 2016
Tom Cruise tries the best he can do to save the big screen from flopping movies like this one everywhere. Unfortunately, his attempt can't save the movie from flopping a failure from both sides. Never go back seems like the only unforgettableTom Cruise tries the best he can do to save the big screen from flopping movies like this one everywhere. Unfortunately, his attempt can't save the movie from flopping a failure from both sides. Never go back seems like the only unforgettable line for this movie because if you went to see this movie, you can't go back in time to solve your problem. Expand
bfoore90Oct 23, 2016
It was okay, I didn't see the first one so I didn't no what to expect from a fan standpoint but it was an okay. The plot is fairly simple and Tom Cruise still kicks ass at 56 years old but thats about it. The plot is formulatic and providesIt was okay, I didn't see the first one so I didn't no what to expect from a fan standpoint but it was an okay. The plot is fairly simple and Tom Cruise still kicks ass at 56 years old but thats about it. The plot is formulatic and provides no new ground, Cobie Smulder's does good while playing a disappointingly underwritten character. With that being said, the movie is still mildly entertaining to say the least but if you're looking for anything other than popcorn fun, you may want to pass on this. Expand
ourtimehascomeMar 3, 2017
You might not notice the lack of depth in this well-acted thriller based on a book by Lee Child, but that's the point. Due to the overwhelming commercialism of the source material, the action lends itself well to the screen. Though, for anYou might not notice the lack of depth in this well-acted thriller based on a book by Lee Child, but that's the point. Due to the overwhelming commercialism of the source material, the action lends itself well to the screen. Though, for an action movie, the gun fights are sparsely laid throughout. The film fails when it relies too much on its character development and plot, but it also shines through the performances of Tom Cruise, Colbie Smulders and newcomer Danika Yarosh. The three provide legitimacy to an otherwise monotonous escapade through action tropes and cliche. Expand
psychomuseJun 14, 2018
An action movie stuffed with cliché movie tropes (music, dialogue, plot, fight sequences, etc.). So many, in fact, that every moment is more predictable than the one before. You will know exactly how this will play out and end within theAn action movie stuffed with cliché movie tropes (music, dialogue, plot, fight sequences, etc.). So many, in fact, that every moment is more predictable than the one before. You will know exactly how this will play out and end within the first 30 minutes. I guarantee it or your money back (and you will want your money back)! Expand
TyranianApr 10, 2019
This sequel is pretty lame with little of what made the first one decent. Disappointing.
imthenoobOct 26, 2016
Not as good the first one. Cruise is solid but the script is just awful. The stupid sub plot about a girl who maybe his daughter (you find out half way through that she used it as a ruse to get assistance and isn't his kid and yet for someNot as good the first one. Cruise is solid but the script is just awful. The stupid sub plot about a girl who maybe his daughter (you find out half way through that she used it as a ruse to get assistance and isn't his kid and yet for some reason they felt they still needed to have a DNA test at the end of the film). The villains in the film are non-existent as they are rarely used despite having some pretty solid actors attached to the roles.

The action is very basic as well and no where near as good as the first film. I also agree with another reviewer where we never see Reacher's thought process and how he comes to the conclusions that he does. He just does it and the movie goers are suppose to accept it. I'd rather they take out that weak sub plot and add a bit more investigating and back story to things to make the plot as a whole more interesting.

Overall, Jack Reacher 2 really doesn't make you want to come back for a third. They stuck too much to the formula and don't offer much in terms of originality.
moviemitch96Oct 25, 2016
Tom Cruise returns as the famous title character based off of Lee Child's many novels. Having not read any of these novels, I understand that those who have and are fans were displeased with Tom Cruise in the role, since Jack Reacher isTom Cruise returns as the famous title character based off of Lee Child's many novels. Having not read any of these novels, I understand that those who have and are fans were displeased with Tom Cruise in the role, since Jack Reacher is supposed to be much bigger and taller (and most of us know that Tom Cruise isn't exactly the tallest celebrity these days.) Like I said, since I haven't read any of the novels I can't really complain about that. But anyway I digress. I actually rather enjoyed Cruise in the first film with his fun mix of action and humorous moments and that's exactly what I got once again with this one! I will admit that this one did feel a bit dumbed down in terms of story and didn't feel quite as inspired as the first film did, but it was still a mindless fun and a worthwhile and entertaining sequel for the most part. Overall, it's Tom Cruise doing what he does best basically, so don't go in expecting anything more than that and it should be a stupid fun time while it lasts! Expand
roman_emperorNov 15, 2016
I wish I could say this was a good movie. I thought the first was okay, nothing too great. This movie is filled with cheesy 1 liners and unconvincing bad acting. Some of the story elements didn't even make sense. The whole first part of thisI wish I could say this was a good movie. I thought the first was okay, nothing too great. This movie is filled with cheesy 1 liners and unconvincing bad acting. Some of the story elements didn't even make sense. The whole first part of this movie is filled with acting and scenes that make you scratch your head because of how bad they are. I would like to talk about it, but that would involve spoilers. I'll leave it at that. Expand
RalfbergsApr 1, 2017
The movie was ok, but I did expect much more from it, especially given that it is one of the franchise movies and previous one was considered quite good. Still, I think it was quite typical action movie that did not add much to it.
Rebecca31Oct 23, 2016
Sure what else would I be doing on a Sunday afternoon but watch Tom Cruise being Tom Cruise. I'm not going to make the obvious joke about the title and honestly I wouldn't watch this again but it was nowhere near as bad as I expected. YesSure what else would I be doing on a Sunday afternoon but watch Tom Cruise being Tom Cruise. I'm not going to make the obvious joke about the title and honestly I wouldn't watch this again but it was nowhere near as bad as I expected. Yes it's full of cringey one liners and action movie clichés including but not limited to a chase scene through a parade. It's nothing new, enjoyable in the moment so if you're looking for your weekly popcorn movie fix then this is recommended. Expand
nahtan1244Nov 13, 2016
I have not seen the previous Jack Reacher but I know tom cruise is a great action star when given a great script. He was excellent in the mission impossible movies but not so much in this one. Just like Jason bourne the action is excellentI have not seen the previous Jack Reacher but I know tom cruise is a great action star when given a great script. He was excellent in the mission impossible movies but not so much in this one. Just like Jason bourne the action is excellent for the most part and the villain unlike Jason bourne is pretty good and the action set pieces were very good. but one of the things that make this forgettable is the girl who is supposed to be his daughter that jack does not know about. she is very forgettable and does not add much too the chemistry of the actors. It is also very formulaic playing with many of the action movie stereotypes we have seen before. Even though Tom cruise is pretty good in this role he is much better in the mission impossible movie and I left the theater very disappointed. This movie had the potential to be good but was not Expand
JyroJyroSep 17, 2017
Slow, fairly dull, and a central story that is depressingly generic - it is only partially saved by the inspired acting of Cruise & Yarosh. The action scenes were great even if the villain wasn't.
JP32Jun 17, 2017
The plot seems to be deliberately generic, with government secrets, classified weapons, crooked agents, etc. It's the kind of movie where the constant military jargon simply drains your attention span the longer it goes on
JunelKeanJan 22, 2018
So we already know that no mission is impossible for Tom Cruise. He has proven this on "Edge of Tomorrow" and the "Mission: Impossible" franchise. As a matter of fact, he has stated that in his fifties, he'll be doing action films. AndSo we already know that no mission is impossible for Tom Cruise. He has proven this on "Edge of Tomorrow" and the "Mission: Impossible" franchise. As a matter of fact, he has stated that in his fifties, he'll be doing action films. And serving as a proof to that, he truly kicks some asses as the titular role in "Jack Reacher: Never Go Back."

In this movie, Reacher with Major Turner (Smulders) must go on a mission to uncover the truth behind a military operation gone wrong. Then, here comes Samantha (Yarosh), who’s Reacher's daughter. There's also a bad guy coded as The Hunter (Heusinger). So in other words, there are three storylines. And sadly, they don't tie together always.

The filmmakers don't exactly know how to experiment Samantha's subplot. So in result, her character is the typical, annoying movie brat. Also, our antagonists have no backgrounds or whatsoever to build convincing characters. Instead, the movie offers us generic yet uninteresting villains.

Yet, Never Go Back isn't a terrible film. It's just a fun yet disposable action thriller. There are some enjoyable action scenes. The chemistry from the two leads are pretty solid. But the few highs cannot save the movie from its many lows.

VERDICT: In spite of saying "never go back", Jack Reacher is back. And hopefully, the title is the sign that it would be the last.
dspratlinNov 19, 2016
What’s it about?

Tom Cruise returns as Lee Child’s enigmatic action hero. In an action movie. With lots of action. What did I think? The second Jack Reacher film is a slick affair with quality production, scenes, and acting. It’s hard to
What’s it about?

What did I think?

The second Jack Reacher film is a slick affair with quality production, scenes, and acting. It’s hard to fault specifically but its largely by-the-numbers feel leaves little impression beyond the moment. Adding emotional constipation to an action hero is hardly a huge step but Cruise handles it well while Cobie Smulders basically reprises her SHIELD role and does a good job. Youngster Danika Yarosh also entertains but the pieces somehow just don’t come together.

To be fair, it’s a fun action movie that will pass the time and popcorn, but, despite the Polish, this film just doesn’t Reach (see what I did there?) great heights.
Magic84Dec 10, 2016
I generally like Tom Cruise, but this movie is very forgettable. It has a fugitive on the run three which I normally enjoy in movies or TV shows. Action sequences aren't as good as the first movie, and the side plot with the potentialI generally like Tom Cruise, but this movie is very forgettable. It has a fugitive on the run three which I normally enjoy in movies or TV shows. Action sequences aren't as good as the first movie, and the side plot with the potential daughter was executed poorly. Very middle of the road film. Expand
MyDistUniverseDec 26, 2016
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Jack Reacher is back. This time he returns to Washington and he finds himself in a bit of a predicament. In his own special way he goes about setting things right.

Spoiler Alert!

This is an in depth review of the movie. Please be aware that I discuss the story, therefore some spoilers are inevitable. Read on at your own discretion.

Initial Thoughts

Let's face it. When a short dark haired man pretends to be a tall light haired giant then something's gotta give and someone is losing out. Unfortunately in this case it's the audience who is losing.

I have loved Tom Cruise since I first saw him in Legend all those years ago. He is a great actor and he made some great movies. But he should stick to playing Ethan Hunt. Because he's not Jack Reacher. I'm sorry.

Having said that - it’s not all bad. In fact it is a great movie. I enjoyed watching it. Actually I had planned on seeing a different movie but quickly changed my mind when I realized that Jack Reacher was out because I had been looking forward to the film since I saw the first trailers. The Story

Jack Reacher heads back to Washington to meet up with his successor in the 110th, Major Susan Turner. They’ve spoken on the phone a few times and he is curious. And as he does not have much else to do, being a drifter and all, he decides to make his way to D.C. and check her out. Maybe invite her for dinner. That’s the plan anyway.

But we all know - the best laid plans never really work out and so it is not surprising that Reacher does not find Turner on his arrival. What he finds is trouble. And he finds himself slapped with a paternity suit.

Turner is in jail on charges of treason, which Reacher’s gut tells him is a big pile of baloney. When he begins to ask questions he finds himself re-enlisted and with the possibility that he has a child he didn't know of.

After springing Turner from jail they go on the run, trying to figure out who is after them. Reacher finds the girl who is supposedly his daughter. She is a street smart kid with a habit of recreational shoplifting. As it turns out now she is in danger too and they take her with them. As they move along several people they were in contact with end up dead.

Bit by bit they piece the story together. Turner had send a team to Afghanistan to investigate the disappearance of a truck load of weapons, that should have been shipped back to the US as the troops pulled out of there. Unfortunately the team got killed by what Turner assumed was someone on the inside. When she started to investigate the murders someone higher up stepped in and had her arrested on trumped up charges of treason.

From Washington they move on to New Orleans for the big show down. The bad guys get what they are due and then some. The big boss is almost getting away; luckily Reacher and Turner get help from an unlikely source when it counts and all is well that ends well. Hollywood style. Verdict

One thing is certain. Tom Cruise may not be six foot five but he is in great shape. And he still knows how to do awesome stunt and fight scenes. He and Cobie Smulders bounce the story beautifully off each other.

Jack Reacher - the movie is about as far removed from Jack Reacher - the book as possible, without having to change the name. It's a good movie though. It would have been a better one if I hadn't read the book, together with all the other books in the series. The story moves along swiftly and is filled with action from start to finish. I kind of hope they’ll make another movie one day. I’m sure Lee Child still has got a few stories up his sleeve. After all he just released Jack Reacher 21. Although I haven't read that one yet. Keep your eyes peeled for a review in the future.

Overall I will give the movie about 7 out of 10. Its not the greatest movie ever made; nonetheless it is very entertaining. Do you have to watch it in the cinema? Probably not. It will come out on Netflix soon enough I imagine.

One question remains though. Why does Jack Reacher in the movie never gets the girl?
DominArsenDec 8, 2018
Jack Reacher : Never Go Back
Une bonne soirée, mais qui malgré tous sera oublié.
Jack Reacher : Never Go Back
Une bonne soirée, mais qui malgré tous sera oublié.
Il est un bon film, mais il y a énormément de raccourci que ça devient étrange. Des scènes d'actions amenées juste pour inclure de la baston, cependant le point positif c'est que les scènes d'actions sont lourdes (on sent que les poings tellement lourds que ça apporte un brin de saveur!!)
Un scénario un peu copié sur Taken mais bon... Des musiques... pas de 3D
Pas de Dolby
Juste un film d'action landa j'en attendais tellement plus