Roadside Attractions | Release Date: September 27, 2019
7.0
Generally favorable reviews based on 42 Ratings
Watch Now
tropicAcesSep 27, 2019
I mean, it’s a biopic. It has flashbacks that are sometimes interesting but apart from one don’t serve any true purpose to the story, and there are elements of her present-day life that feel underused, unaddressed or just plain awkward.
Compi24Oct 8, 2019
Considering the life that common knowledge tells us Judy Garland lived, I'm not sure how anyone can consider "Judy" anything short of sanitized. This woman's existence was horrific, and -- in a kind of metaphysically twisted way -- aConsidering the life that common knowledge tells us Judy Garland lived, I'm not sure how anyone can consider "Judy" anything short of sanitized. This woman's existence was horrific, and -- in a kind of metaphysically twisted way -- a considerable amount of that pain was caused by the same sort of forces that have disinfected the harsh bits from this story -- show business. Crimes committed against our protagonist are only alluded to. Tragic acts enacted by the protagonist are only mentioned and then nothing more. Pivotal, potentially dynamic characters are either tossed aside or entirely left out. It's a damned shame.

I know it sounds like I'm really chewing this movie out, but it's because of the few moments of brilliance throughout and what I'm sure are the very kind intentions behind this film that really leave me feeling cold in the end.

The in vogue approach for biopics nowadays is to pick a specific portion of a subject's life, and try telling the story behind that period to the best of one's abilities. For Judy Garland, I think I would've preferred the more traditional biopic approach. If you want to really make me feel for Judy Garland, give me the exhaustive, A to Z, warts and all approach. Because, from what I understand, her entire life was really that affecting.

"Judy" is fine. Almost frustratingly so. And not even the incredible efforts of Renee Zellweger can elevate an approach that really needed to be fine tuned from jump.
MattBrady99Oct 5, 2019
"You won't forget me will you?...Promise you won't"

'Judy' isn't anything special as a movie, but at least offers a respectful perspective on the final years of Judy Garland's life. Renée Zellweger, on the other hand, was the glue that hold
"You won't forget me will you?...Promise you won't"

Renée Zellweger, on the other hand, was the glue that hold this together. Her embodiment of Garland is truly remarkable. I didn't see Renee. I see nothing but Judy. Everything from her long eyelashes, crooked smile, and the brutal aftermath of Hollywood.
norcalmatthewb2Sep 27, 2019
This was one of the best film experiences of my life. Loved every minute of this movie. Gave me chills multiple times. I laughed and cried. Renée Zellweger’s performance is definitely Oscar worthy.
foxgroveOct 7, 2019
The first thing to be said about 'Judy' is that Renee Zellweger gives a very good performance. Whether or not it is a good characterisation of Judy Garland is another matter altogether. All too often one can see the familiar inflections ofThe first thing to be said about 'Judy' is that Renee Zellweger gives a very good performance. Whether or not it is a good characterisation of Judy Garland is another matter altogether. All too often one can see the familiar inflections of Zellweger behind the mask. However, she is still the best thing about a film that is wildly uneven in nearly every aspect. Some scenes ignite, whilst others count for little. The backstory and screenplay are just not worthy of the central performance and the film ultimately seems like a series of vignettes of varying quality. A lot has been commented on about Zellweger's lack of a singing voice to be compared with that of Garland. This may well be true but, for me who is not a Garland aficionado, she seemed absolutely fine. Of course this brings me back to my first point and hinges on whether or not you are comparing her to Garland (which ultimately we are being asked to do)or just enjoying a consummate performance of someone who could be playing anyone. So what works: Well, a scene of two devout fans meeting her at the stage door and taking her home for a late night supper is beautifully played, as are most of the staged musical numbers (appreciation of the voice not withstanding). Flashbacks to Garland as a young girl are also pointedly compelling. Costumes are evocative and the make-up is generally very convincing. However, even here at certain angles, the real Zellweger shines through to remind us of the artifice. The last twenty minutes packs an undeniable emotional punch with Zellweger emoting 'Over The Rainbow' to moving effect, despite some rather jarring, not to mention manipulative, direction from Rupert Goold. Overall not bad but, it should, and could have been so much better. Expand
amheretojudgeSep 28, 2019
Zellweger's come back is a roar that does not shut others up but provokes them to sing along.

Judy Rupert Goold has an excellent vision on how to treat a biography as sensitive as such. And he is extremely delicate in his procedure as well.

Judy

Rupert Goold has an excellent vision on how to treat a biography as sensitive as such. And he is extremely delicate in his procedure as well. Fortunately, it works only for Renee Zellweger's powerful performance does all the heavy lifting. And when it comes for her to set back and relax, Goold takes charge by just cradling her with a warm, warm environment which tears up our eyes with its generosity. There are scenes so unique that would make you cry. Cry out that there is no way someone could make this up. It has to be real. Which is one of the best doses of realization that you can whip to your audience in a biography genre.

Last time, I saw that happen was in Damien Chazelle's finest film First Man. There is this scene in the middle of the film, where Judy played by Renee Zellweger encounters her fans and asks for them to take her for dinner. This spirals out one of my favourite and possibly the best scene of the film. And I don't know whether it is a metaphor to the storyline that she has been a part of since her career began at an early age or a mature take on the narration or just unawareness.

The film doesn't shine the light on the higher nuanced theme as such and instead shoves other cliched fame and defamed aspects of the characters to the front of the stage. It is somewhat like putting two bitter pills in a beloved ice cream cone to lure a kid in. Either we know that those two pills are for our betterment or we just love that flavour, the makers are hitting a safe chord sung calculatively by Zellweger through her facial expression. At the end of the show, you'd have little to remember by and little to complain.