IFC Films | Release Date: May 25, 2018
Mixed or average reviews based on 28 Ratings
Watch Now
Buy on
donreneJun 3, 2018
for the life of me I do not understand how this movie did not score high with the critics. I can only guess that some were expecting to see a monster movie. LOL... this has been the best version of Mary's writing of her book. To be quitefor the life of me I do not understand how this movie did not score high with the critics. I can only guess that some were expecting to see a monster movie. LOL... this has been the best version of Mary's writing of her book. To be quite frank, I super loved this movie and it had me glued to the screen the whole time. It brought much more insight into her life and how the book came to be. I super highly recommend this movie. Expand
GinaKJun 11, 2018
I really enjoyed this film, partly because it does a very good job of re-creating one of my favorite periods in British Literature – that of the Romantic poets (Byron and Shelley in particular) – without being too serious and scholarly (andI really enjoyed this film, partly because it does a very good job of re-creating one of my favorite periods in British Literature – that of the Romantic poets (Byron and Shelley in particular) – without being too serious and scholarly (and dull). It also provides an interesting take on how the novel “Frankenstein” came to be written. As an extra added treat, it also brings some insight into the origins of Bram Stoker’s Dracula via the publication of “Der Vampyr.” The film is reasonably accurate, is extremely well-made (acted, directed, etc.), and is just a lot of fun. Ella Fanning is particularly impressive since she gives a lively performance of a difficult role – she makes Mary Shelley a believable human being in the middle of a period movie and creates someone today’s audience can understand and sympathize with. Expand
DawdlingPoetNov 26, 2021
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I found this an engrossing, somewhat chilling watch. The titular character is an interesting person, who is very observant and makes some witty remarks (one example of which being the exchange with another 'are you not cold Mary?' and her response? 'my hypocricy keeps me warm') I wasn't aware of the life of Mary Wollstonecraft Godwin, later Shelley. There are some sad situations depicted and it was quite good in terms of providing a spooky feel, with instrumental music played somberly in the background. There is also a feel of mystery present which I liked too.

Quite a lot of the dialogue (although certainly not all of it) is somewhat poetic, with characters taking some time to choose their words eloquently. This gives it a sort of grand feel. If you like period dramas, then this may well appeal. Some of the settings are a little more humble than the most lavish of period dramas but I found it a good watch and really quite engrossing regardless. I liked that some characters appeared to be surprisingly honest and open about things.

There is an element of sexism or perhaps misogyny present, sadly but then I suppose that only reflects the time that the events were to have taken place in. I have little doubt that a female writer of such a dark story as Frankenstein would have had difficulties finding a pig publishing company prepared to take it on with her as the author.

I'd recommend this film to anyone interested, as I found the story interesting, although it may be a little long and bland in parts if your keen on constant action based films, its not that kind of film.