Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM) | Release Date: August 6, 1959
Universal acclaim based on 168 Ratings
Watch Now
Buy on
TMProofreader3Aug 23, 2019
The best, GREATEST thrilling mystery movie ever made! With the best movie character ever portrayed: James Mason as Phillip Vandamm! And the best movie score ever composed!
cinemabonApr 8, 2018
Not only a commercial success, Hitch used his family of technicians - Robert Burks on camera, Bernard Herrmann soundtrack and George Tomasini cutting - to create one of cinema's greatest chase movies of all time.
MartyMcFlyOct 2, 2018
My score 99
Metascore / User score 98 / 80
Tomatometer / Audience score 99 / 94
IMDB 83
(92)
RalfbergsFeb 2, 2018
This is how they should make thrillers nowadays instead of the shoot em up style stuff, but really great, interesting story, which makes you think along throughout. One of the classics and I like that it had some unpredictability to it. MustThis is how they should make thrillers nowadays instead of the shoot em up style stuff, but really great, interesting story, which makes you think along throughout. One of the classics and I like that it had some unpredictability to it. Must watch if you are a fan of Hitchcock. Expand
BroyaxDec 29, 2018
On a failli y croire... pendant à peu près trois quarts d'heure : le rythme est satisfaisant, la curiosité est de mise, Cary Grant est à la fois élégant, cynique et opiniâtre... assez drôle aussi ! mais c'est Cary Grant. Puis arrive leOn a failli y croire... pendant à peu près trois quarts d'heure : le rythme est satisfaisant, la curiosité est de mise, Cary Grant est à la fois élégant, cynique et opiniâtre... assez drôle aussi ! mais c'est Cary Grant. Puis arrive le train... et le traintrain d'un film qui tout-à-coup tel un vieux tortillard n'arrive plus à grimper les côtes...

ça coïncide avec l'apparition de la poupée blonde Eva Marie Saint... et même si elle incarnait le retour de la madone en personne, elle ne peut certainement pas remplacer l'autre égérie blonde de Hitchcock, pleine de grâce, Grace Kelly. On me dira cependant que même Grace n'aurait pas pu effacer l'ennui d'un coup de baguette magique et on aura raison. Mais tout de même.

Voici donc que le film s'époumone à tous les niveaux et pédale comme un hamster asthmatique : les dialogues deviennent aussi bêtes qu'interminables et le scénario en chute libre dévoile son vrai visage de série B, écrit à la va-comme-je-te-pousse, de plus en plus téléphoné à l'avance... Même l'inquiétant personnage de l'excellent James Mason ne parvient pas non plus à ressortir le film de son marasme...

La fin enfonce le clou et sombre dans le burlesque hollywoodien le plus échevelé et invraisemblable... Certes, la musique pleine d'entrain de Bernard Herrmann tente de réveiller régulièrement tout ça. Une musique de bien meilleure qualité que l'ensemble du film, assurément !
KingCrasherFeb 4, 2018
Cary Grant gets whisked away from his everyday life as an advertising executive into a complex and secretive world of lust, action and espionage. All created before James Bond was a thing, at least on the big screen.
amheretojudgeDec 7, 2018

North By Northwest Hitchcock's risky and briskly adventure is the apt catalyst to this complex espionage thriller. As much as simply enthralling

North By Northwest

Hitchcock's risky and briskly adventure is the apt catalyst to this complex espionage thriller. As much as simply enthralling its first half is, that follows a linear singular path collecting its plot points like a reward the film moves with ferocious pace and nail biting close calls. But the second half is the one with the real meat. Its complex and at times overstuffed characters with their own agendas and schemes does work since the man behind the camera is Hitchcock. He never lets the content go damp which often happens in such husky script. There is a sense of similarity in here to Polanski's Chinatown, starring Nicholson. And similar to it, the uncertainty is the key to its success.

The makers are consistently revealing cards in order to keep the audience tangled in the whirls of these flips and turns that can be difficult to swallow. It is a mature script that always chooses over leaving the room with a cutthroat message rather than an explosion. The euphoric energy of the ping pong that the writers play of who is with whom theories, with Hitchcock's sharp execution it never wears off. Also, there is real ruggedness in here, the characters have the range to look elegant and also pull out the most sinister deed of all.

Grant as the real victim proving his innocence isn't always in his A game, his performance isn't persistent in its tone. But what saves the day is both Saint's performance and her character, her alluring suave nature and guns blazing unflinchingly puts her on top of the list. Armed with a smart and meticulous adaptation, Hitchcock takes his time, he is milking out the best from each moment. North By Northwest is less Hitchcock-ish than usual, and it is certainly refreshing.
mattkerr494May 27, 2018
While it doesn't quite reach Rear Window/Vertigo levels of greatness, there is still plenty to be enjoyed from this one. Its definitely more on the comedic side than most of Hitchcock's work, including some great dialogue, a hilarious auctionWhile it doesn't quite reach Rear Window/Vertigo levels of greatness, there is still plenty to be enjoyed from this one. Its definitely more on the comedic side than most of Hitchcock's work, including some great dialogue, a hilarious auction scene and my soft spot for unwilling protagonists. Add a couple of the most thrilling and iconic sequences in cinema at the middle and end of the film respectively and I'd say its a solid 9/10.

Viewed 25/05/2018
imthenoobMar 16, 2019
Ok, I'll be a hater. I didn't really care for it. I felt the story was too predictable and the pacing uneven. It was a rather boring watch for me and I had a hard time finishing it, let alone actually being interested in what I was watching.
AndremaxNov 7, 2018
Some romance scenes can look cliche but even so Hitchcock could make thriller as no one
eagleeyevikingJan 6, 2020
While it drags in the third act, "North by Northwest" is nevertheless a tense, thrilling and exciting thriller.
FilipeNetoAug 6, 2020
Another excellent film by Alfred Hitchcock.

Another excellent film by Alfred Hitchcock.

Personally, this is not one of my favorite Alfred Hitchcock films, although it is one of the most acclaimed and one of the most interesting. The script revolves around a confusion of identities, where an ordinary citizen is mistaken for a spy and ends up in a tremendous confusion with gigantic repercussions on his personal life and national security.

The script is quite good and the story has no dead moments. It entertains the audience in a perfect way until the end and makes us curious to know what is really going on, curiosity being an important part of what keeps us stuck in the film (and one of the reasons I prefer to hardly talk about the plot). The main character, played by Cary Grant, was so well thought out that we quickly established an affective and sympathetic link with her, caring about what will happen to her. It goes without saying that, although the cast is very good, it is really Cary Grant who stands out here. Eva Marie Saint is good, but she never leaves the shadow of the male protagonist. Another actor that deserves a positive note is Martin Landau.

Technically, it is an impeccable film, to the taste of director Hitchcock. It is full of symbolic scenes or with more than one meaning, some of them bordering on the dreamlike. Some of the scenes are truly striking, like those that were shot on Mount Rushmore. The camera and film work is excellent and cinematography perfectly harmonizes color, light, shadow and contrast, resulting in a visually elegant film, although with the characteristics of a film of its time, of course. The soundtrack is also quite good, as are the sets and costumes.
MarvelJoeJan 25, 2019
This movie is a rollercoaster thriller. One of Hitchcock's best masterpiece.
DawdlingPoetNov 23, 2021
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is a film with a fairly slow moving plot but its nevertheless quite intriguing. There's a definite sense of mystery present. There's the female character, Eve, who all but swoons for the main character, Roger Thornhill (its relatively cheesy at times, I think its fair to say) but of course its hardly a new film. I quite liked that what was really going on wasn't made clear from the get go - seeing things through Roger's eyes was quite intriguing. I could certainly understand his frustration, given the situations he found himself in. I liked that there had clearly been some thought put into the script and there were some instances of amusing and sharp-witted dialogue, such as when a ticket seller at a train starion asks if there's something wrong with his eyes (he's wearing sunglasses to conceal who he is) and he replies 'their sensitive to questions'.

This film features a decent cast with Cary Grant as Roger and James Mason as Phillip Vandamm, among others. Plus there's the usual Hitchcock cameo at the very start of the film. If your a fan of mystery thrillers and/or Hitchcock films then yes, I would certainly recommend it.
AndrewHordMay 29, 2020
One of the Hitchcock`s best greatest films.But there are still couple i consider as better films than this one.
AJ_13May 5, 2021
Absolutely thrilling and hilarious, one of the most entertaining films ever made.
YannpastorNov 9, 2021
Another Hitchcock masterpiece. Love the pace. Love the ending. Ahead of its time.