Universal Pictures | Release Date: October 4, 2002
8.7
Universal acclaim based on 294 Ratings
Watch Now
SHO1BANGDec 29, 2011
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I loved Red Dragon. I liked the dark atmosphere, Norton waws really good, the opening scenes with Lecter before he got caught were excellent, and a great introduction to the whole story. Ralph Fiennes was excellent, in my opinion he deserved an oscar nomination for his portrayal of the 'Tooth Fairy'. And I think this is a point where Red Dragon is superior to The Silence of the Lambs. The real villain isn't overshadowed by Lecter. Lecter is still active, and in this movie (not as much as in the Silence, of course) but the otehr villain is great too. Buffalo Bill never really impressed me. The twist is great, towards the end, this is really a really enjoyable movie, the music was fitting as well. The performances are all excellent. 9/10 Expand
RirenFeb 5, 2007
When you're in Hannibal Lecter's universe, it's sometimes too easy to think all the dark atmosphere comes easy. Red Dragon actually works very hard and does the best job at the true uncomfortable yet tantalizing feel in a When you're in Hannibal Lecter's universe, it's sometimes too easy to think all the dark atmosphere comes easy. Red Dragon actually works very hard and does the best job at the true uncomfortable yet tantalizing feel in a 'Lecter' flick since Silence of the Lambs. While a few moments are almost cartoonishly out of place, and a few plot threads only make true sense if you read the book (the Toothy Fairy killer's psychosis began when he was adopted by a violent old woman who so traumatized him that he represses almost everything and needs identities to deal with his feelings), it's quite a good movie. Edward Norton carries the helm so that we don't miss Anthony Hopkins too much, and Hopkins does appear often enough to satiate us, though thankfully not too much to completely steal this movie from the real killer like he did in Silence of the Lambs. Hopkins is who we came to the theatre to see, after all. Expand
1 of 1 users found this helpful
FarahD.Mar 21, 2006
The movie " hannibal" was a complete failure so it might be uncounted . 'the red dragon "is exactly the twin of "the silence of the lamp ", it holds the same glorious reasons of smashing success the first chapter possessed . the two The movie " hannibal" was a complete failure so it might be uncounted . 'the red dragon "is exactly the twin of "the silence of the lamp ", it holds the same glorious reasons of smashing success the first chapter possessed . the two transcends old definitions of good and evil but they dig deeper into a more horrifying realms of the human psyche . and in this movie the spectator is as much involved with the criminal as with detective and Dr lecter in between acting the godlike connection .though it fades for some moments , yet the flame of expecting , guessing, waiting, hoping, fearing consumes from within leaving you with an exotic feeling of sweet exhaustion . you are changed somehow although this strange experience has nothing to do with your real life tomorrow morning! Expand
1 of 1 users found this helpful
bigbosslunaFeb 4, 2012
I remember seeing this movie back in 2003 but I only saw the first 30 minutes and never knew the name of the movie. So I finally gave this movie a try without knowing that I have seen it. And it took me by surprise. It`s a great movie but atI remember seeing this movie back in 2003 but I only saw the first 30 minutes and never knew the name of the movie. So I finally gave this movie a try without knowing that I have seen it. And it took me by surprise. It`s a great movie but at times it felt a little cheesy. It looked like it had a low budget. Anthony Hopkins is just one of the greatest actors out there and he shows how scary he can be. The story of this movie is great and the twist is ok. It felt like it needed more gore, more blood, more suspense. Expand
ChrisFarnworthJul 17, 2012
The main reason why I didn
JohnnyStephensAug 30, 2013
Oh thank God that it's not like the second one. It's still worse than the first one, but it's better than the second one. It's good. You will enjoy it.
SpangleFeb 13, 2015
The Silence of the Lambs is my favorite film, so my expectations for Red Dragon were obviously quite high and I ultimately was left feeling satisfied, as this one is a worthy film successor to the previous film (which comes after itThe Silence of the Lambs is my favorite film, so my expectations for Red Dragon were obviously quite high and I ultimately was left feeling satisfied, as this one is a worthy film successor to the previous film (which comes after it chronologically in terms of the books, but whatever) and is far better than the 2001 follow-up, Hannibal. Edward Norton, Anthony Hopkins, and Harvey Keitel, are all very good, while Ralph Fiennes delivers an absolutely bone chilling performance as the "Tooth Fairy". Philip Seymour Hoffman is also good in a supporting role. The direction from Brett Ratner is shockingly good. He did a great job creating scares and multiple scenes caused me to jump back a little bit, which is great. In addition, the script from Ted Tally is also very strong, not as good as the one who wrote for The Silence of the Lambs, but it worked very well. At times, this one can feel a bit like a police procedural, but all the same, I really did like this one and loved the way it ended as well (the very, very end). Some things could have been better, such as the beginning, and then some elements towards the end of the film that just felt cheesy, but all the same, Red Dragon is a good film that entertains in its two hours and is really well made. Expand
LoRevisorSep 29, 2015
Me julguem, mas acho que Red Dragon (2002), entreter mais na minha opinião que Silence Of The Lambs (1991) e na minha opinião Red Dragon (2002) é muito melhor também, com um roteiro excelente e criativo, e um elenco estelar e impecável,que éMe julguem, mas acho que Red Dragon (2002), entreter mais na minha opinião que Silence Of The Lambs (1991) e na minha opinião Red Dragon (2002) é muito melhor também, com um roteiro excelente e criativo, e um elenco estelar e impecável,que é composto pelo inesquecível Anthony Hopkins o genial "Hannibal Lecter",o incrível Harvey Keitel, o serial killer Francis Dolarhyde ou tooth fairy interpretado brilhantemente por Ralph Fiennes, e a ótima Emily Watson como a cegueta e mesmo não sendo um fã de Edward Norton ele faz um ótimo trabalho aqui, porém não consigo admira Philip Seymour Hoffman é um ator mediano... Excelente Drama de investigação recheado de Serial-Killers. Expand
MovieManiac83Apr 24, 2015
Let's be honest, it didn't look very promising, did it? The auteur behind The Family Man and Rush Hour 2 tackling the movie's favourite cannibal with the residue of the dreary Hannibal still ripe in the memory. But Brett Ratner's adaptationLet's be honest, it didn't look very promising, did it? The auteur behind The Family Man and Rush Hour 2 tackling the movie's favourite cannibal with the residue of the dreary Hannibal still ripe in the memory. But Brett Ratner's adaptation of Thomas Harris' 1981 prequel to The Silence Of The Lambs (already adapted by Michael Mann as Manhunter) delivers the goods with minimum fuss.

As if to atone for Ridley Scott's uninspired instalment, Red Dragon feels like a concerted effort to get back to the glory days of Silence and, to a large extent and against all the odds, Ratner pulls it off. It may not have Manhunter's sense of style or interesting contours, but Red Dragon surpasses Mann's movie in its dogmatic desire to entertain.

Putting the cult of Lecter aside for a moment, Red Dragon works as a cracking detective story. Going the Christopher Columbus/Harry Potter route, Ratner, in tandem with Silence screenwriter Tally, has been remarkably faithful to Harris' tautly constructed mystery. He offers a well-tooled, workmanlike compendium of the book's greatest hits - the great scene in which Lecter's cell is searched for clues as to how he is contacting Dolarhyde, the horrific burning wheelchair set-piece - that is the cinematic equivalent of a page-turner.

Where Ratner does deviate from the novel, it pays dividends: a pre-credits opener that pitches Lecter and Graham against each other, first mentally, then physically, is a fantastic curtain-raiser, satisfying our immediate appetite to see the good Doctor while setting up the Lecter-Graham mind-games to come.

If not quite as **** as Tom Noonan's incarnation from Manhunter, he also finds a real shift of gear in his tentative, affecting relationship with Reba (Watson, once again putting in good work), the blind woman who offers the killer a redemptive state of grace.

What ultimately stops Red Dragon from being truly great rather than merely good is the bog-standard quality in Ratner's direction. Everything is crisp, everything is proficient but nowhere does he generate the foreboding atmosphere or memorable image that really hits home: visually, the movie is a sitcom version of Silence, all flat lighting and bland set-ups, the infamous corridor approaching Lecter's cell having none of its previous power.

Indeed, the movie doesn't really deliver any real scares and nail-gnawing tension until a last reel denouement. But when the shocks do come, they work a treat.

Not as good as The Silence Of The Lambs, but definitely besting the risible Hannibal, Red Dragon is a thoroughly entertaining, efficiently mounted thriller. If this is the last of the cannibal capers - and the sense of familiarity suggests that it should be, it's a good one to go out on.
Giorgi751Sep 2, 2015
It was a decent film, though I think the original (The Manhunter) will be better. One obvious problem with Red Dragon is that Edward Norton is miscast. On the other hand Ralph Fiennes and Emily Watson were very good. This can't be alternativeIt was a decent film, though I think the original (The Manhunter) will be better. One obvious problem with Red Dragon is that Edward Norton is miscast. On the other hand Ralph Fiennes and Emily Watson were very good. This can't be alternative to some flaws, but if you want to get entertained by a good thriller, this one handles to grip you. Expand
JunelKeanJul 6, 2017
Psychological thrillers have been redefined in cinema ever since Dr. Hannibal Lecter told Clarice Sterling that he ate a liver with fava beans and a nice chianti. Sounds like a healthy combination, right? But the prequel to the 1991 filmPsychological thrillers have been redefined in cinema ever since Dr. Hannibal Lecter told Clarice Sterling that he ate a liver with fava beans and a nice chianti. Sounds like a healthy combination, right? But the prequel to the 1991 film never tells us that story, instead it follows retired FBI investigator Will Graham (Norton) as he seeks for help to Lecter (Hopkins) in tracking a serial killer known as the "Tooth Fairy".

Putting aside Lecter for a moment, Red Dragon works as a cracking detective story that can stand alone without the fearsome yet beloved Hopkins character. Norton also has the capability to stand for his presence in clashing with Dr. Lecter and the Tooth Fairy (Fiennes). Additionally, the disturbing images and cynical irony of the Tooth Fairy elevates the whole tone of the movie as both petrifying and satanic.

The acting are top notched with a supporting cast of Philip Seymour-Hoffman, Emily Watson and Harvey Keitel. There are spaces for improvement in the script and the scenes become repetitive in some parts and familiar as it takes its benefit from its remake, "Manhunter" and prequel, "The Silence of the Lambs".

VERDICT: Not as great as The Silence of the Lambs, due to script issues, but totally dark twisted.
ErikTheCriticOct 16, 2018
Though it's no Silence of the Lambs, it manages to capture most of what made Hannibal Lecter so terrifying and is still a pretty damn haunting film.