Weinstein Company, The | Release Date: August 22, 2014
8.0
Generally favorable reviews based on 597 Ratings
Watch Now
TheArchetypesSep 9, 2016
This 2nd film adaptation of Frank Miller’s graphic novels is all about the style. The stories are set in an ultra film noir world of tough guys and hot femmes. It's mostly black and white with pops of colour (usually for the women). ThreeThis 2nd film adaptation of Frank Miller’s graphic novels is all about the style. The stories are set in an ultra film noir world of tough guys and hot femmes. It's mostly black and white with pops of colour (usually for the women). Three basic stories play out: doomed love, hateful pride and bitter revenge. The stylised violence and illustrative visuals make for dramatic images. Even though it goes on a bit too long, director Robert Rodriguez has created a rich, moody place. Expand
chwMay 25, 2015
The sequel to Sin City was not as good as its predecessor. It was as stylized as the first one (when it comes to fights and just plain violence) but there weren't as good stories. The stories were only decent.
NerdConsultantOct 24, 2014
I definitely preferred it to the first one but I didn’t think this was a particularly good movie and it definitely is not convincing me to go back to buying Frank Miller comics or even going in to the Sin City franchise. I will say II definitely preferred it to the first one but I didn’t think this was a particularly good movie and it definitely is not convincing me to go back to buying Frank Miller comics or even going in to the Sin City franchise. I will say I definitely came out of this film feeling a lot better than the previous one. Mainly because it is mercifully a lot shorter than the first one and this is definitely one of the films that makes me think 3D is worth going with. Though it still only manages to be a point above the other one and I still think there have been better films that have come out this year. Expand
Jim-BeamAug 29, 2014
I think it's pretty funny that people have such strong negative views about this film, what were you expecting? The REAL reality is that A Dame To Kill For is just as air-headed as it's predecessor and about as much fun.

No, I don't think

No, I don't think it's as good as the first film; the stories don't have quite the same narrative force or cohesion and the novelty value of Sin City's hyper-real storytelling is now absent, so we all know what to expect. Consequently the film doesn't really surprise in any way, the dialogue doesn't crackle quite as nicely this time round either, but the truth is that it delivers nice-looking and brainless entertainment and does it efficiently. The chances are that if you liked the first one you'll probably like this too. To those who think it's the "worst movie ever", I'm sorry but I think we all know that's utter **** Don't make me laugh.

6.4/10
mlaroe8Aug 24, 2014
Better late then never, right?

Better late then never, right?

Well, maybe not. Sin City 2 isn't a bad movie by any stretch (although some will argue that) but it just leaves kind of an empty feeling for those who loved the first one. I mean, you still get the violence, you still get the lines, you still get that "noir-ishness" that made you love the first one. Despite all of that, there just seems to be an overlying feeling of "why didn't I like this more?"
elMORROAug 22, 2014
Warning, poor English ahead.

Warning, poor English ahead.

Being a huge fan of both the original movie and the graphic novels, my expectations for this belated sequel were pretty high, even though all the cast changes and a bunch of not-so-great trailers didn't really paint a very hopeful picture.
Long story short, Sin City 2 ended up being the first movie I ever walked out on. The distinctive visual style and excessive gore is there, too bad not much else is

First off, central 'towering' characters like Marv (Rourke) or Manute this time around look surprisingly unintimidating & unimpressive at best or just plain ridiculous for the most of the movie.
And since they both on screen for the good half of the movie time it made it that much more difficult to take anything seriously.

The writing has taken a nosedive in quality too and you can really feel it during the newly added story segments by Miller (who somehow managed to write himself into the movie as 3 different characters just for the f**k of it) , especially the whole 'Nancy (J. Alba) turning super saiyan' story line and especially the cringeworthy final act.

Talking about the good parts of the movie, Brolin turned in a really great and stand out performance as pre-op Dwight, even though the opportuinity to bring back Clive Owen (who played the same character in the previous movie) was missed as they decided to just throw in a wig on Brolin's bold head to somehow justify the character's full face surgery and called it a day. The same can be said about the main villain of the movie - senator Roark (played by Powers Boothe) who's as menacing and power-crazed as ever.

If fapping for 40 minutes on Eva Green's prominent body parts is not your sole reason behind watching this sequel, I highly suggest you saving yourself a trip to the movie theater. Otherwise, you are setting yourself up for a one tedious, occasionally painfully bad and ultimately disappointing 90 minute experience.
TVJerrySep 2, 2014
This 2nd film adaptation of Frank Miller’s graphic novels is all about the style. The stories are set in an ultra film noir world of tough guys and hot femmes. It's mostly black and white with pops of color (usually for the women). ThreeThis 2nd film adaptation of Frank Miller’s graphic novels is all about the style. The stories are set in an ultra film noir world of tough guys and hot femmes. It's mostly black and white with pops of color (usually for the women). Three basic stories play out: doomed love, hateful pride and bitter revenge. The stylized violence and illustrative visuals make for dramatic images. Even though it goes on a bit too long, director Robert Rodriguez has created a rich, moody place. Expand
BshopAug 22, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "I can't remember how I got here" You might be saying the same thing by the end of this movie.
Two things: Director knows his audience and that audience is mostly men. Like 95% men.
Anyway this is kinda like if you took all the color out of a gangster movie, added in some nudity, a pinch of mystery and a dash of magic. I guess that's what these comic book movies are all about anyway.
Eva Green is nude for about a good quarter of the movie (so, if you're into it, I guess it's worth the money) and Bruce Willis makes a solid return as well.
Joseph Gordon-Levitt also plays a smaller role (his character might warrant a whole movie) as does Jessica Alba.
You could tell this was based on a comic book, with separate acts and focus points, with one-liners and crazy metaphors strewn about.
In summary, makes for a good guy's guy movie, but not much else. No real substance to plot, just a continuation of the first really. Rent on Redbox or Netflix when it comes out. Unless you liked the first one.
quincytheodoreSep 9, 2014
Bare **** and waggling ass, I couldn't believe I watched this on cinema. Sin City: A Dame to Kill For is a series of several short stories that loosely correlates the characters. Just like the prequel, the movie is almost completely in blackBare **** and waggling ass, I couldn't believe I watched this on cinema. Sin City: A Dame to Kill For is a series of several short stories that loosely correlates the characters. Just like the prequel, the movie is almost completely in black and white, excluding some notable details. This noir comic inspired look director Frank Miller's signature look is undoubtedly unique. The stars are aplenty as well, however the movie unfortunately ends up being corny, ludicrous and hackneyed. It strikingly resembles 300 : Rise of An Empire, in which there's more sex and less content in a sequel.

The story is done in old fashion crime thriller style, and it’s mostly a continuation of the first Sin City. The long gap between the movies could alienate some viewers as some of the plot or characters may not be familiar to them. Regardless of the interval time, stories from this movie are not nearly as engaging. The culmination is a rather boring stroll through the city as characters come and go, but none of them brings any appeal aside from flashes of **** or **** wrapped in leather strip. This is odd since the cast consists of great actors and actresses.

With Josh Brolin, Jessica Alba, Mickey Roarke and lots of others talent, this should be a captivating tale of a corrupt city. Yet, each story appears pointless. It’s hard pressed not to wish for it to conclude and for the next one to begin only to be disappointed with the same bland effort. Characters don’t stay long enough to make an impact, don’t have any attraction or simply underutilized. Script is highly stylized with everyone narrating like they are writing a novel while fighting and bleeding, what leisure time they have. It’s not entirely bad, but sometimes it becomes redundant and some of it can be easily translated to more visual performance considering the acting prowess of the cast.

Graphic is exceptionally distinctive with deep focus on lighting and shadow contrast. It tries to bring the comic root, although at some scenes it just looks awkwardly unreal. Action is really silly, it reminds me of classic action or current Bollywood movie where the hero is suspended in mid-air while shooting. Decapitation and dismemberment are the norm, as well as display of unclothed bodies, and to the movie’s credit, these are quite exquisite bodies, so the Mature rating is indeed adequately deserved.

Aside from the blood, gore, and nudity, there’s not much to Sin Cite: A Dame to Kill For. The plots are uninspiringly bland, but it does present more than one voluptuous dame. It’s an utter hot mess… a mess nonetheless.
JHGreySep 5, 2014
Great characters. Great style. Great visuals. Tonnes of stylish ultra-violence that we loved in the first Sin City. Unfortunately let down completely by lack of a coherent plot. Sure, some stuff was going on, but it all felt a bit random.Great characters. Great style. Great visuals. Tonnes of stylish ultra-violence that we loved in the first Sin City. Unfortunately let down completely by lack of a coherent plot. Sure, some stuff was going on, but it all felt a bit random. More like a dozen vaguely related events than an actual storythread. A massive shame, as the first was so good. They waited 9 years to release something mediocre. Unbelievable. Expand
Gamed2longAug 25, 2014
If you weren't a fan of the original Sin City, you won't like this one either. If you were a fan you may come off a bit disappointed. As a sequel there is more unnecessary gore, nudity, and over the top "graphic novel" style. UnfortunatelyIf you weren't a fan of the original Sin City, you won't like this one either. If you were a fan you may come off a bit disappointed. As a sequel there is more unnecessary gore, nudity, and over the top "graphic novel" style. Unfortunately this came at the expense of things like "heart" and "cohesive storytelling." The story of Nancy (played by Jessica Alba) coming unhinged is the closest the story comes to having a sympathetic character. There were some interesting cinematic flourishes but in general they were under-done or poorly utilized.
Perhaps if they'd tried to tell fewer stories we as an audience would have gotten more invested in them. Or maybe if the stories were tied together in some meaningful way instead of being seemingly random. Instead we get a story so focused on its neo-noir world that the characters end up flat. I wanted to root for Joseph Gordon-Levitt as the mysterious gambler, but his character was so generic that when (Big spoiler omitted) happened I had no sympathy for him at all. It seemed the logical outcome.
All in all this film is an alright flick. Certainly there is much worse out there.
Bo33yOct 2, 2014
Eva Green 10 out of 10, "A Dame To Kill For", yea right pull the other one. Emo Aguilera, NOOOOOO WTF. MIho looked goth over ninja, Gail's bumper looked massive.The only cool part in this movie was Levitt. The rest of it was in direEva Green 10 out of 10, "A Dame To Kill For", yea right pull the other one. Emo Aguilera, NOOOOOO WTF. MIho looked goth over ninja, Gail's bumper looked massive.The only cool part in this movie was Levitt. The rest of it was in dire repetition. A ride to be watched, but that was it. Entirely Forgettable . Expand
riaan_radioheadJan 8, 2015
Even Eva Green can't save this tired, underwhelming and generally uninspired 9 years too late sequel to the original.
Rodriguez and Miller's comic noir project has lost its spark, this is clearly a case of diminishing returns.
None of the
None of the new stories feel fresh: the writing is poor, the violence has lost its shock factor and the new additions to the cast are seriously lacking in interesting characterization.
Avoid.
Twist_Of_FateAug 22, 2014
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Not nearly as good as the first one,its like they tried to hard.Acting seemed mediocre at times.If you loved the first one as i did this one might be a real let down for you,the only thing that i enjoyed was the explosion and some violence other than that its disappointing,And even having Eva green nude most of the movie isn't really a wow factor.The 3D aspect makes it a bit better but doesn't the movie make the movie worth it overall. Expand
ozymandias79Sep 27, 2014
It's easy to see why the second installment of Sin City didn't do so well. Marv's make up was a bit dodgy, especially at the beginning, Not sure about some of the casting choices. Jamie Chung should have been a better choice for Miho, but sheIt's easy to see why the second installment of Sin City didn't do so well. Marv's make up was a bit dodgy, especially at the beginning, Not sure about some of the casting choices. Jamie Chung should have been a better choice for Miho, but she was unsure in a most of her scenes. Eva green, again, sexy but not feminine enough (too goth) for Ava. Josh Brolin, at least, was good. Jeremy Piven - good. A Dame To Kill For lacked a lot of the soul from the first movie. Improvements could have been made in too many areas for this film. That's why it gets a spectacular 'meh'. Expand
ScottshakSep 11, 2014
A clichéd tale wrapped up in an orgasmic screenplay!

A clichéd tale wrapped up in an orgasmic screenplay!

We have three parallel stories running through the movie. Marv has nothing much to do, so he basically pans out as an assist manifesting eye-popping, head-bursting, head-rolling, rule-breaking action, icing it with numerous gore bits(basically being himself). Dwight has visceral written all over him and the screenplay he grinds 'neath his teeth is sheer music to the ears. Ava surges in blue as the voluptuous dame who writes chaos into the lives of her lovers. One of the finest tales in the flick is that of Johnny, the guy who just cannot lose, played to perfection by the RegularJoe and boy can he act! Hartigan has been brilliantly placed at the right moments, his ghostly presence in the flick has been beautifully portrayed as he tries to justify his love contrasting Nancy's agonizing words. Roark is a sheer depiction of power once again as he eases through his villainous character drenched in perversion.

Always an honor to watch Frank Miller's art paint beauty on the big screen. Rodriguez keeps reminding you how subtle his style of direction is albeit sometimes you see loopholes whilst he drives you to a screen almost abruptly without giving a frame some rest. You can throw that over to editing as well. Overlooking that, the score is apt, the tale is passable for just another story of vengeance for a wrongdoing. Apart from the awesomeness of Levitt, Green and Brolin, it doesn't have much to offer!
Bruce722Dec 27, 2014
Sin City, similar to the first film, a the perfect example of style over substance. It's a film essentially made up of three short stories, which I'll call the gambler, the sex goddess, and the vengeful stripper for the purpose of thisSin City, similar to the first film, a the perfect example of style over substance. It's a film essentially made up of three short stories, which I'll call the gambler, the sex goddess, and the vengeful stripper for the purpose of this review, that are loosely connected to one another through setting and a few characters. The problem is, only one of those stories (the sex goddess) is even remotely interesting. The other two range from abysmal to mediocre and are filled with lazy writing and ludicrous action sequences. I love the style and the cinematography of the film and think the acting was outstanding across the board but no movie can overcome a complete and utter lack of content. The "sex goddess" story was actually very good. It had an intriguing plot, characters will motivations that made sense, and it developed really well. The action sequence at the end was ridiculous but outside of a flying ninja prostitute, an expanded version of that story would've made for a fantastic film in and of itself. Unfortunately the other two stories dragged it down to, what I consider a rating that equates to "watch for free but don't spend money on it". Expand
ViolettOct 4, 2015
When I saw Eva Green will be starring in this movie I thought that half of the movie we will be seeing Eva Green's boobs. Her boobs are good, I do not complain, but this is action-noir movie, not an erotic one. Manute is really pale comparedWhen I saw Eva Green will be starring in this movie I thought that half of the movie we will be seeing Eva Green's boobs. Her boobs are good, I do not complain, but this is action-noir movie, not an erotic one. Manute is really pale compared to Michael Dunkan. So as usual, unfortunately, second movie is worse than first one. Expand
hallfreddycDec 5, 2016
It's still pretty snazzy stylistically and Eva Green is by all means a dame but all of the subplots are kind of plodding, the fervor doesn't match the first film.
cjdynamiteOct 9, 2014
What can you say about this. I was a huge fan of the 1st film but dear god, why wait 10 years for a sequel which is basically the same. The effects are identical, The script just seems dated and frankly a little ridiculous. I wanted to enjoyWhat can you say about this. I was a huge fan of the 1st film but dear god, why wait 10 years for a sequel which is basically the same. The effects are identical, The script just seems dated and frankly a little ridiculous. I wanted to enjoy this film but It would have been great 8 years ago. There is just nothing new here to require a second viewing. It's still quite fun if you can somehow conjure a wormhole to take you back to 2003. Expand
AnalyticCriticSep 25, 2014
Review: I am going to break this review into four segments each containing the review for one "Comic"

Just Another Saturday Night: Shortest of the four. Enjoyable as it brings you back into Sin City, and introduces you to Marv. 7/10 The

The Long Bad Night: While enjoyable it didn't really have that much to it. It basically just showed how Rourke was a bad dude. Joseph Gordon Levitt's character was alright nothing that special. Biggest problem with this story is that is really doesn't go anywhere, but nonetheless it was entertaining to watch. 6/10

A Dame to Kill For: This story follows Dwight as he tries to maintain control of himself and things get a lot harder when his ex lover comes back into his life. This was in one word lame. It is the worst of the four stories and the main one too. The only redeeming quality it had was a fight at the end of it. Rest of it was uninteresting and boring. 3/10

Nancy's Last Dance: By far the best segment of the film. It follows Nancy Callahan 4 years after the events of the original Sin City movie, and it is really interesting to see her dealing with those events. This one really grabs your attention, and brings back what you loved about the first one. 9/10

Other Thoughts: Just as in the first one, the art style is very nice and visually stunning. It is something different and the acting is solid all around here. Doesn't get you emotionally into the story as the first one did. If you're a fan of the first one this is good watch and if your not you can skip this one.
BigZOct 16, 2014
Considering the unique style of this movie and how it is made very close knit with the graphic novels it comes from, initially, without any background on Frank Miller or the Sin City world, this just seems like a reckless opportunity to showConsidering the unique style of this movie and how it is made very close knit with the graphic novels it comes from, initially, without any background on Frank Miller or the Sin City world, this just seems like a reckless opportunity to show sex/nudity and violence galore...of which it did. But, because of the style it stems from I still think it was entertaining and well done. These random strips of scenes are meant to simply plunge into the happenings of each character and to further characterize Sin City itself, not really to create a nice flowing stream of story line as was established in the first film. Although, on a scene to scene basis, the first Sin City was more disciplined and they were easier to connect to each other, which is why I don't give this one a great score. Definitely not a show for kids or even teens. And because every character is so important to the details of Sin City, to even try a movie like this you need the best actors available, with that they did well. Easily Jessica Alba's best performance and Joseph Gordon-levitt went above and beyond what I could have expected. Mickey Rourke's defining character once again, gotta love Marv. Wish there was more Bruce Willis though. Josh Brolin was solid but I really wish Clive could have come back...oh well. Eva Green is so lovely. I wouldn't be able to resist her, I'll be honest... The comic-to-movie attempts are often hit and miss, but Sin City claims a spot all its own far away from the good vs. evil superhero conflicts which are becoming very common these days. For that, they deserve props. Expand
SillyClassyNerdSep 29, 2014
Sin CIty's sequel is divided in four stories about different characters, the first two are long and nice, stories that can characterize this different cliché action movie greatfully, but the latter two are very short and hollow, with fewerSin CIty's sequel is divided in four stories about different characters, the first two are long and nice, stories that can characterize this different cliché action movie greatfully, but the latter two are very short and hollow, with fewer action scenes and inferior acting quality. Sin City: A Dame to Kill For can provide you some kind of nostalgia from the great Sin City, but nothing more than that. Expand