Netflix | Release Date (Streaming): April 5, 2019
3.2
Generally unfavorable reviews based on 127 Ratings
Watch Now
JackmillerApr 7, 2019
Brie Larson’s directorial debut, Unicorn Store, is nothing so much as a series of quirks. In the film, Larson plays Kit, an immature art school dropout with an affinity for unicorns who’s moved back into to her parents’ house. After trying toBrie Larson’s directorial debut, Unicorn Store, is nothing so much as a series of quirks. In the film, Larson plays Kit, an immature art school dropout with an affinity for unicorns who’s moved back into to her parents’ house. After trying to get the ball rolling on an independent existence by acquiring a temp job at a PR firm, Kit makes the magical acquaintance of the mysterious Salesman (Samuel L. Jackson), who promises that, if she can prove to him that she has what it takes to care for a unicorn, he can get her one.

In portraying how Kit shoulders her adult responsibilities, the film attempts to give a realistic sense of how an unrealistic childhood fantasy can be sustained. But the film is much more interested in emphasizing the comedic whimsy of Kit’s misadventures than detailing the real-world problems she faces that will help her to mature. In this regard, Unicorn Store inadvertently becomes a celebration of its central character’s infantilism.

There’s a tonal imbalance to the way Larson depicts the obstacles Kit faces. Some of the narrative’s darker elements, such as sexual harassment at Kit’s PR firm, are treated with the same fanciful lightheartedness that marks Kit’s process of preparing for her prospective unicorn. Larson frames these harsh realities not as learning experiences, but as offhand jokes that Kit ultimately shrugs off due to her devil-may-care attitude. The film even includes a compelling subplot of Kit working on an advertising campaign that perpetuates moldy female stereotypes, but any potential this creates for Kit’s maturation is lost amid the spectacle of showing how she retains a sense of childlike wonder in a straight-laced, adult world.
Kit is characterized by a center-of-the-universe mindset that the film is largely unwilling to confront. In fact, it’s as if her parents (Joan Cusack and Bradley Whitford) exist only to enable her behavior, a trait consistent with their depiction as hapless, uncool geezers. Which is why it feels so baffling when, in an uncharacteristically selfless act, Kit moves on from the idea of owning a unicorn by allowing someone else to have the one promised to her. And because of this one sacrifice, Unicorn Store believes that Kit is cured of her childishness.

But the effect of this presumably grown-up act is curbed by the fact that Kit’s friend, Virgil (Mamoudou Athie), has turned what was to be the unicorn stable in Kit’s backyard into what’s essentially a shrine to his friend. Packed to the gills with her childhood artworks, the stable is intended as a cute reminder to Kit that she can still hang onto her inner child, though mostly it scans as a creepy effigy to the crippling effects of Peter Pan syndrome.
GachiAnikiApr 13, 2019
Brie Larson's directorial review. Honestly did not expect much from this movie. I assumed it would be like if a movie was directed via Twitter, and thats exactly what shines through. Cannot wait for Hollywood to be done with Brie Larson. HerBrie Larson's directorial review. Honestly did not expect much from this movie. I assumed it would be like if a movie was directed via Twitter, and thats exactly what shines through. Cannot wait for Hollywood to be done with Brie Larson. Her acting is garbage, the movie is boring, the writing is bad. Expand
GrantD243May 12, 2019
Oof, Brie Larson's directorial debut has an interesting concept but it ultimately falls flat. It drags, and I feel like Larson struggled to get something meaningful across here. Her performance is fine, but that couldn't save this one.
DeviantDorkDec 8, 2019
I think the only people that would truly hate this charming and mesmerizing film about an autistic woman getting her wish granted are "men's-right" idiots and ignorant impotent men. None of the reviews that have a "0" are warranted and onlyI think the only people that would truly hate this charming and mesmerizing film about an autistic woman getting her wish granted are "men's-right" idiots and ignorant impotent men. None of the reviews that have a "0" are warranted and only show their insecurities. Expand
ChadxVirginH8erApr 29, 2020
I'm here to revive the score of this decent comedy from marvel fan losers who blindly hate the film.

It's a nice story about autistic girl with relatable childhood dreams. The filmmaker shows that she could have a promising career ahead on filmmaking.

(marvel films are ok, the white male fans aint. they need to work out and see psychiatrist).
erin5677656rtDec 24, 2020
inspiring one of the best movies i've seen ever
hopefully she gets to direct more movies
Lia_CJan 7, 2021
Incredible and relatable. It's current and a perspective on "growing up" that we don't usually get to see in coming of age movies. We don't have to stop believing and relinquish the magic of life to be an adult. Fun, quirky and magnetic.Incredible and relatable. It's current and a perspective on "growing up" that we don't usually get to see in coming of age movies. We don't have to stop believing and relinquish the magic of life to be an adult. Fun, quirky and magnetic. Great performances flourish under a great director and that happened here. Expand
CrythorApr 6, 2019
Worst movie i have ever watched. The story is not only naive and poorly portraied but also lacks any depth. Every 3 year old child could conjure a more meaning full story and the only reason why this movie even found a home (which it couldntWorst movie i have ever watched. The story is not only naive and poorly portraied but also lacks any depth. Every 3 year old child could conjure a more meaning full story and the only reason why this movie even found a home (which it couldnt for quite some time), is that Netflix trys to ride the Marvel wave and fails to check for quality. Expand
Mathias01Apr 12, 2019
I watched this "movie" out of curiosity after all of the Captain Marvel controversy and all I have to say is I want those 92 minutes of my life back. I feel bad for Samuel Jackson being stuck with her again. As for this "movie" all I have toI watched this "movie" out of curiosity after all of the Captain Marvel controversy and all I have to say is I want those 92 minutes of my life back. I feel bad for Samuel Jackson being stuck with her again. As for this "movie" all I have to say is the main character Kit is unlikable, bratty and acts like the world owes her. Hmm, kind of like the actress who portrays her. One item of note. This was actually made in 2017. I never heard of it until now. Just like that guy on Twitter said "this movie is riding CM's wave". Expand
chapoguzmanApr 7, 2019
There is a 75 character minimum for reviews. If your review contains spoilers, please check the Spoiler box. Please do not use ALL CAPS. There is no linking or other HTML allowed. Your review may be edited for content.
SuperJezApr 7, 2019
GoreministerApr 8, 2019
I make it plain and simple: This movie isn´t worth your time. It´s just a dull and plain version of The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty. Better watch this flick instead of this miserable try of Brie Larson. Bad acting, bad directing, bad movie.
dc127Apr 11, 2019
The opinion on this film may just come down to life point. The main character is unlikeable and very entitled. She is a perfect caricature of a millennial. I don't think this was done as a parody, it comes off like Larson actually thoughtThe opinion on this film may just come down to life point. The main character is unlikeable and very entitled. She is a perfect caricature of a millennial. I don't think this was done as a parody, it comes off like Larson actually thought this would be a good protagonist. A 25 year old I work with thought it was the best movie ever. Everyone else I've talked to thought it was terrible. Turns out what works as acting in a psychological thriller about being locked in a room doesn't translate to any other acting . . . or directing. Larson is overrated and wastes a great supporting cast. Expand
RowdyRafeApr 9, 2019
Bleh movie by a bland director and a bad actress. I feel bad for Samuel L. Jackson. Tries to appeal to the inner child and sense of sentimentality, but fails hard.

Go watch any other movie on Netflix.
leaveitApr 12, 2019
How ironic that Larson's extreme intent for diversity, representation, and pulling Hollywood out of the writing rut that it's stuck in manifests in yet another Magical Negro movie. For those curious, a Magical Negro is a mentor or interloper,How ironic that Larson's extreme intent for diversity, representation, and pulling Hollywood out of the writing rut that it's stuck in manifests in yet another Magical Negro movie. For those curious, a Magical Negro is a mentor or interloper, usually written by a white person, in a story about white folks, essentially taking the role of a "Manic Pixie Dream Girl." The white people are stuck in life and lack guidance until a kindly, usually elderly or disabled, black person (think Morgan Freeman's usual role or Whoopi's Guinan from Star Trek TNG) intervenes and shows them the magic of the world - because they are magical after all. The double implication of this movie's release on Netflix combined with the subject matter show that Larson and Jackson are veterans of the exploitation genre, and don't particularly actually care about advancing social justice through the medium of film. Expand
ThemBakerBoysApr 15, 2019
Brie Larson must have made a deal with the devil. It is beyond comprehension how she continues to get projects like this. She is completely devoid of charm and humor. Her characters are flat and boring. There is nothing compelling orBrie Larson must have made a deal with the devil. It is beyond comprehension how she continues to get projects like this. She is completely devoid of charm and humor. Her characters are flat and boring. There is nothing compelling or watchable about her as an actress. Unicorn Store in particular is immature, naive and preachy all at the same time. Her disdain for white, male authority figures is again on display and again... Samuel L. Jackson is on the scene to back up her juvenile attitudes. Her character is a stunted growth, narcissist millennial who thinks that the world revolves around her and expects all of the other characters to make her the center of their attention as well. She parades through this idiotic story caked in rainbow sparkles with some foggy message about staying childlike and not losing your imagination or creativity or something. It's all very murky and Brie, herself, is the weakest link. The story is a mess, the tone shifts constantly, attempts at humor fall flat and her character is annoying and contemptible. Why would Netflix green-light this disaster? Who is Brie Larson giving sexual favors to that she keeps getting work? Expand
OttoVonCHammerApr 9, 2019
Pretentious nonsense garbage by a terrible wooden fool. Appeals to really nobody and reduces art to nonsense. Shouldn't have been made, money should have been donated and it would have made a much much bigger impact on the world.
kentsangcanadaApr 7, 2019
kszwedaApr 13, 2019
Worst piece of garbage I ever seen. It is boring and not funny at all. Stay away !!!
SankyaApr 6, 2019
The worst kind of 'actor-turned director' film. Self-indulgent and made with the naive earnestness of a 4 year old. Brie Larson is a boring, vanilla actress but a downright terrible director. This is what movies looks like when you removeThe worst kind of 'actor-turned director' film. Self-indulgent and made with the naive earnestness of a 4 year old. Brie Larson is a boring, vanilla actress but a downright terrible director. This is what movies looks like when you remove risk, controversy and any semblance of being thought-provoking or original. And no, quirkiness is *not* originality. No amount of color and paint can cover-up how artistically beige this movie is. Expand
sheporgan1Apr 7, 2019
I was gonna write a review but said SuperJez it best.
"Muddled and incoherent. "Whimsy" comes off as off more as belligerent annoyance."
adrionleeyekelApr 8, 2019
+"bad acting directed by bad director Brie Larson, Trash movie waste of time garbage movie"
TrunkisApr 9, 2019
This movie sucks and blows at the same time, as physically impossible as it sounds.
PetjonApr 28, 2019
Just... Bad... Like not funny bad watch it to get drunk bad just shut off bad.
The story summed up is pretty much "Girl want to be a fantastical artist and get a unicorn"
and thats the whole movie, she doesnt learn anything, no growth, nothing.
ARGzelderApr 14, 2019
Esta primer dirección de Brie Larsson, es una entrega muy abstracta acerca de la búsqueda de la felicidad. Que cuenta con una gran fotografía pero una narrativa no muy clara.
Kit es una frustrada en su carrera, quien en su regreso a casa debe
Kit es una frustrada en su carrera, quien en su regreso a casa debe lidiar con su deseo fallido e introducirse a un mundo laboral que no añora. Pero para levantar su ánimo recibe la noticia de su vida, que puede hacerse con un unicornio.
Si hay una cualidad que merece ser destacada es lo bonita que es la dirección artística, los colores, los encuadres siempre crean escenas coloridas únicas. En cuanto a la historia uno puede ver hacia dónde se dirige pero aún así el viaje es bastante personal.
Si hay problemas es que el mensaje es muy difuso, se puede entender pero no hay un encarrilamiento o un cierre muy claro.
No es una película para todos, pero hay cosas interesantes en ella. En general sólo puedo decir que es una historia muy linda, centrada para adolescentes y jóvenes adultos.
douglasadamsApr 6, 2019
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Unicorn Store is a mystical movie with surprising amount of depth in it.
From the surface it feels odd and weird and definitely isn't a movie for everyone.
But for those who it is, it's truly a magical movie.

Brie Larson's approach certainly is unique and definitely self-conscious. Every second of the Unicorn Store was thought out to serve as a little piece in a larger whole and the end result is an emotional story of personal growth.

That being said, Unicorn Story isn't a movie for everyone. In a way it's an adventure movie made for adults with highly specific themes to go through, and for those who these themes don't bring any emotions, it can be too much to grasp or nothing to grasp at all - resulting in an experience that doesn't bring anything to the table. Nevertheless, it's a masterpiece built with attention to detail creating a feeling that world has much more to it than being a piece of machinery with replaceable parts.
JamedrisApr 10, 2019
Haters gonna hate, but I needed some of sweet wishes and my old dreams as a kind, concentrated in a chill-movie-pill. A good movie to watch with kids or even as an adult. Not anything highly special, but it's watchable and sweet.
circusgirl77Apr 6, 2019
Wow. Haters gonna hate, which is kind of the point of the movie. I thought both the writer (Samantha McIntyre) and Brie Larsen did a great job. The movie was honest, realistic (within its fantastical premise) and showed a satisfying characterWow. Haters gonna hate, which is kind of the point of the movie. I thought both the writer (Samantha McIntyre) and Brie Larsen did a great job. The movie was honest, realistic (within its fantastical premise) and showed a satisfying character arc. Good pacing, good visuals, clever, and terrific performances by Joan Cusack, Bradley Whitford and Mamoudou Athie. I find it interesting that the script was probably completed in 2010 or earlier, before the current resurgent retail glut of UNICORNS EVERYWHERE. This is a great family movie about people who believe in magic and even those who don't. In a way, the quest for a Unicorn could be seen as a parallel for Larsen's own desire to direct a film, something she has wanted to do for a long time. An achievement that is as unlikely for most as owning a real Unicorn. Expand
bfoore90Dec 17, 2019
The Unicorn Store isnt anything groundbreaking, but it's watchable and sweet.
HaloFeverSep 3, 2020
Like most people, I watched Unicorn Store because I really liked Captain Marvel and Brie Larson was great in it. Then I saw Brie Larson on Community and it blew my mind. Plus there was this super depressing global pandemic and a movie aboutLike most people, I watched Unicorn Store because I really liked Captain Marvel and Brie Larson was great in it. Then I saw Brie Larson on Community and it blew my mind. Plus there was this super depressing global pandemic and a movie about getting a unicorn seemed like a good watch.

Unicorn Store has some nice funny moments and looks like a labor of love. After a few uninspired remakes with too much CGI, a little movie, directed by, produced by, and starring someone who is utterly delightful on screen. And Samuel Jackson is also in it. The film has some genuinely touching and fun moments. Brie’s character is a someone naive artist trying to blend into the adult world. The other characters are also mostly deadpan people who are mostly deadly inside and certainly do not appreciate color and adolescent joy. This makes for some great interactions.

And now comes the time when I get critical and say mean things like a jaded adult who is dead inside. The major problem with this film is that the art does not work. Not the art of the acting and movie making. The problem is the fictional art created by the fictional protagonist. This is the same problem with musical movies that have bad music. The one reason “O Brother, Where Art Thou?” did so well as movie is because the marquee song was a huge success in the non-movie world. Audiences could easily believe the song was a magical success in the movie world. This is the kind of art Unicorn Store needed to sell the movie. The imagery in the movie did have some inspiring moments. The business attire of the main character, the Store, Samuel L. Jackson, and the unicorn were all well done. The movie may have looked and felt better with a larger budget, but then it wouldn’t have been a labor of love. The greatness of this movie is a paradox. It is what it is.

I will say that Unicorn Store is better than nearly all Hallmark films and most low budget horror films. It is a solid middle scoring movie. It’s positive message may even push it into the good range. I have no problems with this movie’s existence.
JLuis_001Jun 19, 2019
Being a filmmaking debut the failures are quite evident. The handling of the rhythm and the story more than anything, but Larson deserves enough credit for trying, especially with a story that can easily be attacked by many simply because itBeing a filmmaking debut the failures are quite evident. The handling of the rhythm and the story more than anything, but Larson deserves enough credit for trying, especially with a story that can easily be attacked by many simply because it is easy to be cynical about it.

Not completely disposable but does nothing for Larson as an actress or director, or do anything for Netflix. It is what it is.
maimApr 29, 2020
It's pretty good. This might be subjective, but the film itself was entertaining and lighthearted. Good acting. Nice pace.
witriakerMay 21, 2021
I used to dislike Brie Larson, but after seeing this movie, I kind of feel sad for her. She really seems to be very sad, and everyone pandering her every action, is really not helping her. That a movie like this get greenlighted, isI used to dislike Brie Larson, but after seeing this movie, I kind of feel sad for her. She really seems to be very sad, and everyone pandering her every action, is really not helping her. That a movie like this get greenlighted, is mindblowing. I think I get were she was going for, but the execution was not good. There are a couple of good scenes here and there, but overall, a really disturbing film. In a really bad way. Expand
bigitupJul 10, 2021
beautiful movie
very artistic and fun
beautiful fantasy movie
brie larson is the geekiest it girl ever
lorem86Nov 15, 2021
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Beautiful story about keeping one's innocence throughout adulthood. This film is unfairly criticized. The fact that she's struggling to find her place in the world while figuring who she is, what kind of adult is she going to be, how she eventually matures but without becoming just another shallow adult, it has conquered my heart. Expand
Made-on-AmelandNov 24, 2021
This films will be of great appeal for a certain public. To others it will be appalling, but that is not the error of the film. This tells you more about the ones who give the negative critique. To me the film celebrates free will in arts andThis films will be of great appeal for a certain public. To others it will be appalling, but that is not the error of the film. This tells you more about the ones who give the negative critique. To me the film celebrates free will in arts and it explains the reason why I didn't go to art school... The funny and also sad thing is that negative reviews confirm what the film is about. Really difficult theme for some people, applause for Brie Larson and crew who did get it! Expand