• Network: The CW
  • Series Premiere Date: Feb 23, 2021
6.5

1. Feb 24, 2021
    The first episode feels more like a movie than a TV show with well directed cinematics, capturing much of what made Man of Steel great without suffering from its flaws. It focuses more on the family drama than the cookie cutter action of the other CW shows and it's all the better for it.

I just hope the show continues this style of heart felt drama, and pray it doesn't degrade into the TV Sitcom-esque feel of shows like Flash and Supergirl.
  2. Feb 26, 2021
    I just watched the first episode and the feeling is hard to describe. The music, acting and cinematography made me feel... nostalgic for something that has yet to happen, if that makes sense.

Performances by Hoechlin and Tulloch were good, as expected. Less expected but extremely welcome were the performances of Jordan Elass and, especially, Alex Garfin. I feel we are all accustomed (and kind of tired) of the stereotypical "angsty teen" characterisation, but I believe these teens have something... different. I will hold further judgement until I see more of the show.

The setup is a fresh and the different telling of the story of Superman, is actually a welcome change. I feel the same way I felt coming out of Spiderman: Homecoming, thanking I didn't have to watch Uncle Ben die yet again. I believe this new (to TV) storyline will no doubt bring us interesting and engaging conflicts and ideas that will make for a different kind of experience.

Finally, I'd like to praise the cinematography and special effects, which were incredibly good, especially considering how much I hate some other special effects by other CW shows such as Supergirl which has, in my opinion, the worst of all. Let's thank the good people at HBO for helping out with the budget.
    And of course, Dan Romer's soundtrack left me breathless. While I still believe that nothing tops John Williams' "The Planet Krypton" and the Superman Theme, the music was a highlight for this overall great start to this new series.

I hope the quality is maintained throughout the show's run, and that we get many, many seasons of quality TV.
  3. Feb 24, 2021
  4. Feb 25, 2021
    Essentially FLAWLESS. But more important is that Berlanti has FINALLY learned to make a self contained pilot. Instead of needing 3 or so episodes (THE FLASH), 7 or so episodes (SUPERGIRL) or 11 or episodes (BATWOMAN) to complete a pilot. Or like LEGENDS.. which was legendary because at Season 3 they still hadn't completed a pilot.
  5. Mar 3, 2021
    At first I saw the guy and I thought ... that's no Superman, but then it all started to click and by the end of the episode I was hooked. This was way better than expected.
  6. Feb 24, 2021
    Superb story, cast and visual effects. The pilot already exceeded my expectations. I'm very interested to see what happens next in this show!
  7. Feb 25, 2021
    Wow and fantastic!!! This is such a well done show and they captured a new generation Superman and Lois and brought the past into the future. It is like watching the first movie of a series that needs to keep going and growing. Well done CW and you have another winner on your hands! BRAVO!!!
  8. Mar 4, 2021
    The show on another level. I do love the flash but this show targets a more Mature audience.there are no stupid Jokes. Clark is a normal father and lois is a normal mother. There are much less clichés than in the rest of the arrowverse.

It looks more like a drama that may turn Even darker than Titans.

The direction and budget seems yo be far better than the res of the AV
  9. Feb 26, 2021
    Not another parents-teenagers conflicts serie! Please! Please! Not in the mood forever.
  10. Feb 27, 2021
    The story is obviously good, but if it's another land. then it will be a shame. I do not want. I want everything to happen in one place.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 13 Critic Reviews

1. TV Guide Magazine
    Reviewed by: Matt Roush
    Feb 25, 2021
    This terribly earnest drama skips past the romance and honeymoon period to more domestic concerns, often moving slower than a spent bullet. [1-14 Mar 2021, p.9]
  2. Reviewed by: Melanie McFarland
    Feb 24, 2021
    The struggle is to find something beyond tights and flights to get us to invest in the middle-ages, middle-America Kent-Lane clan after they relocate from Metropolis to Smallville.
  3. Reviewed by: Terry Terrones
    Feb 23, 2021
    Well-crafted and with a cinematic feel, this series could be the catalyst to reignite The CW’s superhero empire.