• Network: OWN
  • Series Premiere Date: Jan 16, 2018
tbd

No user score yet- Awaiting 1 more rating

1. Apr 15, 2018
    Loved the old show but this new one is very disappointing due to a few things 1 over laughter audio clips non stop even at times when they have serous moments another thing i noticed the hair on them all look real rough and just to staged also with ella seems they had her act more hostile instead of that fun strong Spiritual vibe she had in the meet the paynes seasons seems they made herLoved the old show but this new one is very disappointing due to a few things 1 over laughter audio clips non stop even at times when they have serous moments another thing i noticed the hair on them all look real rough and just to staged also with ella seems they had her act more hostile instead of that fun strong Spiritual vibe she had in the meet the paynes seasons seems they made her seem more angry and also the acting seems very off and i know they all can act very well it seems tyler perry just was not directing it with the passion as before or otherwise the actors lost interest and cj just looks a bit rough Expand
  2. Dec 20, 2018
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. "The Paynes" get off to a great three episode start. The viewer sees the original cast for the first time in nearly six years, since the finale of the original "House of Payne." Then the show takes a nose dive. We are introduced to the main story line set up by Curtis's (LaVan Davis) idiocy. He moves Ella (Cassi Davis) to another state right under her nose and she oblivious about it. However, one could actually look past that as it is the premise of the entire show. However, the show takes yet a deeper nose dive when the viewers are introduced to "Nyla" (Stephanie Charles) a single mother working at the new help center. Almost immediately, we are introduced to her boyfriend "Kendrick" (Matthew Law) who is a surgeon. Afterwards, it takes another nose dive by revealing that Kendrick is abusive, because after all this is a Tyler Perry Production and all black men beat their women. What brings the show down as a whole is the wall-to-wall idiocy of the characters.

The writing is abysmal at best. For example, Nyla is the person getting abused but for some reason keeps returning to the same guy. How are we suppose to feel sorry for her if she keeps making the same mistake. On top of that, it is as if we are supposed to feel sorry for the abusive boyfriend. He constantly returns and begs for her forgiveness and wins her back. In the process, he's being put over as this sympathetic character. Why should we feel sorry for a man beating his wife? How does that produce sympathy? Then, Nyla who is basically playing the "in-love" girl easily comes off as an idiot.

Metacritic Score 2/10
    My Personal Star Rating is 1/5 (F)

This show is awful and I do not recommend it...