• Network: USA
  • Series Premiere Date: Aug 2, 2017
Season #: 3, 2, 1
4.7

1. Mar 20, 2020
    I loved the Sinner the first 2 season, the 3rd is just bad. I have forced myself to keep watching thinking it would get better. It is not good or interesting, confusing, you don't know what dreaming or what is real and it is just not done well Not worth my time watching I have tried over and over, but will not continuing the last 2 episodes
  2. Mar 28, 2020
    Like most people I myself proclaim that the first two seasons made for great television. Fantastic character development mixed with superb storytelling. I caught the first 2 season on Netflix and kicked myself a lot wondering how I missed this show. When I heard that there would be a season 3 I asked “how could they top what was achieved the first two times around.” Fast forward to theLike most people I myself proclaim that the first two seasons made for great television. Fantastic character development mixed with superb storytelling. I caught the first 2 season on Netflix and kicked myself a lot wondering how I missed this show. When I heard that there would be a season 3 I asked “how could they top what was achieved the first two times around.” Fast forward to the premier of this season and I thought it had some promise. I love Matt Bomer in AHS and White Collar so I knew he could bring some great character work to the small screen. We all know that Bill Pullman captivated us with his performance in the last 2 seasons so I knew his portrayal will be up to par if not better since he’s had a couple of years to develop the character. Somewhere between episodes 3-4 the show came off the rails a bit. The story telling was a bit of a mess and the back and forth from past to present didn’t make a whole lot of sense. I was mesmerized with the story telling in seasons one and two and to be honest this story was not at all gripping. I was vested in all the characters but Jamie was too hard to take in. I felt nothing while watching the story unfold. Now I know it was about a man going down that rabbit hole of “sin” and never looking back but I just didn’t get it. I also felt that Det Ambrose seemed like a tired shell of himself but it was way too much doom and gloom. Yes I get that the two characters had some sort of parallels between them but in the end I was bored and just couldn’t wait for it to STOP. If the show does get picked up for a season 4 I hope that we see some additional layers to Bill Pullman’s character then what was shown this time around. Expand
  3. Mar 30, 2020
    We stayed with it until the end because the first two seasons were so good. Bill Pullman did what he could but the inconceivable actions of Harry were dull, plodding and nonsensical, the writing was lacking. A real let down
  4. Jun 22, 2020
    It is hard to out into words just how poor this season is. The extreme angst ridden main character comes across as a murderous stroppy emo teenager. I honestly couldn't stop watching it as it's so bad it's almost entertaining.
  5. Apr 13, 2020
    I loved the first 2 seasons but this one was just bad. Very slow, not much story at all, almost unwatchable. Matt Bomer gave a stunning performance--he should win an award for this. And Bill Pullman is always great. Good performances all around--just weak writing.
  6. Jun 19, 2020
    No where near as good as the first two seasons. It was getting me gripped until episode 5 then it went down from there. There was not a good twist like the first two, and Harry's character was too far fetched in this one!
  7. Jun 20, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First things first - brilliant acting! Loved the casting, they all performed extremely admirably. The writing, however.. yeesh. I wonder what the actors think when they're going through a script. While I love that this season challenges "traditional masculinity" and shows the leading men as more than heroes, and shallow in regards to the extent of their emotional capability.. I truly could not understand the romanticizing, the genuine fascination and the need to understand a complete narcissistic, delusional, socio and psychopath. It was so out of character for Det. Ambrose to empathize with a killer, in particular, one that murders his captain and kidnaps his grandchild no less. Just bizarre. Struggled to stick with it. This season pales in comparison to 1 & 2. Expand
  8. Jun 21, 2020
    I loved seasons 1 and 2, but season 3 was just awful! It was a challenge to watch until the end. Dull plot, cheesy dialog, an overall bad experience. If there's a season 4, I'll pass.
  9. Feb 15, 2020
    To the clowns who give a negative score but don't leave a comment on the reason why are a pain in the ass.
  10. Mar 27, 2020
    Not as good as the other two seasons, it got a bit boring and flat in the end. But it’s still a good one to waste time on and all the actors are superb
  11. Mar 29, 2020
    Peace of art, this season of The Sinner is the best Tv Show ever, i realy liked it and i wanted to recommend to everyone..
  12. Nov 1, 2020
    Really good season . more dark, more tense. still love the characters. i wish it's gonna be 4 season.
  13. Feb 8, 2021
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I wasn’t going to write a review for The Sinner Season 3, but after reading all of the negative reviews, I figured I’d try to balance them out with a positive one. Season 3 is probably the weakest of the series. That being said, I don’t think it was bad by a long shot. This show is still superior to 99% of the other stuff on TV. I disagree that the writing was bad. I concede that the final episode was underwhelming and that after episode 3 or 4, there was really no mystery to figure out as there was in the first two seasons. Nevertheless, I found the plot to be very captivating and the character of Jamie to be very intriguing. This character brings to mind Henry David Thoreau’s quote “The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.” Jamie seemingly has it all, yet he’s depressed and lost in life. He’s angry and he doesn’t know why. His character reminds me a lot of Arthur Fleck in 2019’s Joker. Many people criticized that movie too, but I think, in this day and age, with the angry right-wing uprising occurring in the United States, we need to evaluate personalities like these and not pretend they don’t exist. We should place more of an emphasis on mental health and not stigmatize those suffering from mental disorders. Jamie just wanted a friend to talk to who had similar thoughts to his. Though the end of season 3 isn’t terribly exciting, it is pretty tragic because there are so many men out there with feelings similar to Jamie’s. As long as we ignore personalities like Arthur Fleck and Jamie, then there will always be lots of anger in the United States and things won’t get any better. Expand
  14. Aug 1, 2020
    The mystery aspect is largely absent this season and it suffers for it. Matt Bomer is a likeable actor but I think his good lucks act to his detriment in this role though he redeems himself in the final few scenes . It's still a good show but guilty of drift this the time out. One thing that annoyed me was a change to Ambrose's back story. Inconsistencies like this always detract from theThe mystery aspect is largely absent this season and it suffers for it. Matt Bomer is a likeable actor but I think his good lucks act to his detriment in this role though he redeems himself in the final few scenes . It's still a good show but guilty of drift this the time out. One thing that annoyed me was a change to Ambrose's back story. Inconsistencies like this always detract from the believability of a character. Thankfully the atmosphere and tone is still solid. Expand
  15. Feb 19, 2021
    I wanted to like this, as well as the actors acted, the story line was so unnecessarily dark and kind of predictable, i lost interest and used it as noice while we were eating dinner. Booooring! And I have to say, Hollywood again pushing biracial couple thing way too much. It’s constant.
  16. Feb 8, 2021
    Bill Pullman is terrific as always, and the cast overall is talented and game. But the plot just isn't here this season. The first few eps have a great momentum, and then it's as if the writers had no idea where to take the characters or how to pay off the story. This might be a case of too much theme over too little substance, but it makes for an extremely aimless and disappointing secondBill Pullman is terrific as always, and the cast overall is talented and game. But the plot just isn't here this season. The first few eps have a great momentum, and then it's as if the writers had no idea where to take the characters or how to pay off the story. This might be a case of too much theme over too little substance, but it makes for an extremely aimless and disappointing second half of the season. After two stellar seasons, The Sinner totally loses steam this round. Not necessarily pointless, but definitely boring. Expand
  17. Jun 23, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Lower end of average for me. This series is lacking the slow burn mystery/enigma of the previous 2 series. There is some dreadful 'just read the wiki page' Nietzsche nonsense.. and even worse, bizarre clairvoyance hokum crudely levered in, which feels at odds with the IP as already established. The characters are poorly written and lack any kind of charismatic/sympathetic hook. Performances are OK, so not as bad as some of the scores indicate IMO.. but way off previous efforts. Expand
  18. Jun 23, 2020
    It is very poor season 3 you have to admit it. Watched only because season 1 was great season 2 ok. It is going down the hill.
  19. Jun 27, 2020
    Great season yet again. The first two seasons were great, but it was definitely time for a bit of a mixup. This was darker in a way then ever, less so about innosence. Absolutely loved it.
  20. Jun 28, 2020
    From the other reviews it seems to be a season you either love or hate. For me, it’s definitely the latter. The story is less mysterious than the previous seasons, I guess it might put people off but I loved the psychological side of the plot and got drawn right into it.
  21. Jun 30, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. So many errors makes this by far the worst of the 3 series. Totally Ridiculous really Expand
  22. Jul 4, 2020
    Totally over the top and unbelievable. Ambrose weird facial expressions, allowing a known murderer to be free, inaccurate police action or rather inaction. Stupid characters aplenty.
  23. Jul 11, 2020
    If you are looking for mystery then you will be disappointed as everything is revealed very early with no twists. If you are looking for a smart or profound story then you will also be disappointed as this is a r/Iam14andthisisdeep story
  24. Jul 13, 2020
    Awful. After the first two were quite addictive, this one has not held me once. In fact as I got near the end I was glad for the credits to roll. It’s too drawn out. What takes place over 8 episodes could of been done far better in 3 or 4. It’s trying to be too existential in mood, but it fails. It tries to be dark, but is just plain boring. The acting is good, the production is good, theAwful. After the first two were quite addictive, this one has not held me once. In fact as I got near the end I was glad for the credits to roll. It’s too drawn out. What takes place over 8 episodes could of been done far better in 3 or 4. It’s trying to be too existential in mood, but it fails. It tries to be dark, but is just plain boring. The acting is good, the production is good, the cinematography is good but it just fails. Expand
  25. Jul 23, 2020
    I wish I’d been as smart as one of the other reviewers and just stopped watching. Unfortunately, I enjoyed the first two seasons so much, I would have watched season 3 anyway, even if I’d read the bad reviews beforehand. Let this serve as a warning to anyone reading this who is planning to watch season 3. It was so bad I was compelled to create an account specifically to warn otherI wish I’d been as smart as one of the other reviewers and just stopped watching. Unfortunately, I enjoyed the first two seasons so much, I would have watched season 3 anyway, even if I’d read the bad reviews beforehand. Let this serve as a warning to anyone reading this who is planning to watch season 3. It was so bad I was compelled to create an account specifically to warn other potential vict..viewers. Each episode just got worse. The writing was bad and the supposed connection between Harry and Jamie was so unbelievable, that it made their onscreen interactions either boring or just ridiculous. I kept checking to see how much time was left in the last episode and there were times that I just didn’t think I’d make it. I’ll need some serious convincing to watch season 4 if there is one after this mess. With all that said, if you’re reading this and haven’t watched season 1, do yourself a favour and watch it. Great writing, great acting and just great tv. Expand
  26. Feb 13, 2021
    A somewhat disappointing third season after two fantastic ones. I think the show has lost a little bit of its foundation by trying to do too many things - the plot becomes a little disjointed
  27. Jul 29, 2020
    Even though the first one is the best season so far, this one deserves a good rate.
  28. Aug 22, 2020
    Loved the first two seasons so watched this one to the end despite wanting to give up around episode 4 or 5. Earlier seasons centered around people who had committed terrible crimes and we got to peel away the layers of mystery until we revealed the innocence underneath. This time around we have Jamie: an entitled, narcissistic, whining yuppie who is unhappy because his life with well paidLoved the first two seasons so watched this one to the end despite wanting to give up around episode 4 or 5. Earlier seasons centered around people who had committed terrible crimes and we got to peel away the layers of mystery until we revealed the innocence underneath. This time around we have Jamie: an entitled, narcissistic, whining yuppie who is unhappy because his life with well paid rewarding job and loving, pregnant wife is just TOO perfect. Want to watch a grown man spout edgy teenage quotes about how everyone apart from him is too scared to look death in the face? I hope so because that's the **** we get to put up with for the the next eight episodes!
    I never once bought into the parallels that supposedly existed between him and Harry, an aging and isolated police detective. This season hinged on their relationship and I never understood why they had one. Additionally, he (Ambrose) does not act like a consistent character and makes all sorts of decisions that don't make any sense (so do all the other characters for that matter).
    Not sure I'll watch a fourth.
  29. Oct 18, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Don’t bother with this season. The plot quality dropped off dramatically from Season 2. Season 3 is basically angsty middle-aged man as rebel without a cause and turns to murdering. Because it’s hard to empathise with the main character, it’s hard to stay engaged with the season, aside from sheer curiosity about how it all ends. The episode-to-episode cliffhangers are still pretty good... maybe by necessity as otherwise viewers would drop off after 2-3 episodes.

I saw a critic review that said this season deals with toxic masculinity. This critic has a weird conception of stereotypical toxic masculinity— the main character proudly admits to his wife that he had a homosexual relationship with his college friend who he bonded with over philosophy. Toxic masculinity ? Sure....
  30. Dec 30, 2020
    Not as strong as the first 2 seasons but still a good show. Maybe it is to time to bring some closure to this show.
  31. Feb 9, 2021
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Another absurd example of a PC culture gone mad--to the detriment of the show. Everyone has complained about the relationships being implausible, the tired, lonely Detective, etc. So I'll just re-cap a few of the obviously intentional social justice points that now dominate and ruin more shows and movies than not:
    1. He's a teacher at an all-girls private school--helping his naturally highly-gifted mixed-race student get into an Ivy League school. Her parents are black mother, white dad. The teacher gets called on the carpet because the student dared state she had challenges with depression--and God Forbid she seem "weak" to gain an edge (from the black mother). Affirmative Action and her being a minority already guaranteed her a place in ANY school, but it was a nice touch given that the SJW's have been exploiting weakness, mental illness, and the like as badges of honor for sympathy for years now. (which was what made it absurd).

The white guy has a black wife (naturally).
    They go to their friend's house for a meal--a black gay man and his super white "honey"--busy raising their brilliant toddler and being perfect parents. Of course they were both highly intelligent, cultured, well-spoken and well-read.

By the 3rd episode, as the teacher is questioning his way of life--he asks his pregnant wife if she is really comfortable bringing another life into this world "just to die" when they don't even know what happens after death or if there is a God.
    She tells him that what he is saying is "privilege"--and "you know who doesn't have privilege? Her Jamaican father, who worked 60 hours a week hauling cement."
    He replies, "So I can't have a moment because I'm white?" --and that's about the truth of it. We've now reached a point where even having an existential crisis and taking a moment to reflect on our existence, whether or not it has meaning, the role we play as parents, or even speculating over whether or not there is a Higher Power is now nothing except "privilege" for white people. Ya know, because whites are so well-to-do and have so many advantages to being alive in Western nations that they just sit around thinking about life, they never struggle, they never work hard, they never have hard lives, they never work physical labor jobs, and they never have to struggle.

There's also plenty of other garbage--like the teacher telling his wife that he fooled around with his dead buddy once in college and it "didn't work for either of them"--and of course his super evolved wife found it "hot".
    Weird, liberal points of view that serve no purpose other than to be intentionally inserted to make sure people hear them--and you either have to agree or you're just a narrow-minded bigot, naturally.
    Hitler, Neitche, it's all there. All the liberal propaganda. It's hard enough to swallow that I have no desire to even finish the show--which isn't a compelling enough storyline to even bother. If I want to hear about Toxic Masculinity it's being pushed everywhere else. I'll just choose other programs--pre-2015, which is where we apparently need to go to JUST be "entertained" without the lectures.
    So why does it matter? It's just entertainment, after all.
    Well, it SHOULDN'T matter--that's the point.
    But once again, when the creators of such shows make it a very direct and INTENTIONAL POINT to insert all the talking points, to intentionally choose the cast based on their identities and race--it's all SUPPOSED to matter. They intentionally make the cast interracial and so stereotypical it's almost comical.

Truly--the first two seasons were fine--good enough that when I saw that the 3rd was out I wanted to watch it and was looking forward to a good binge.

But if my "entertainment" must come with PC SJW lectures, I'll pass.
    There's a thing that people say: "I don't care who you sleep with, but keep it in your bedroom and don't shove it down my throat".
    That's where we are today: it's all being shoved down our throats--the SJW propaganda ruins everything.
    It's being so intentionally pushed with every casting decision, moral theme, and carefully constructed piece of dialogue it's just unbearable anymore.

If everything had this much of a "right-wing", heterosexual, Conservative, or Christian POV--the Left would burn Hollywood to the ground.
  32. Feb 20, 2021
    I loved the first two seasons, and watched at least one episode a night consecutively of them. They were mysteries with very interesting characters, good intelligent plot twists, and great acting.

And then I started Season 3, and it was such an astonishingly horrible pile of garbage. The acting was good, but the writing and plot was so bad, the episodes were somewhere between funny and sad, and consistently unwatchable. The pacing of the show in Season 3 was so slow I fell asleep in a couple of episodes, but honestly it didn't matter because I was so not invested in the characters.

Just watch Season 1 and 2, and then move onto another show -- or you will wish, like I did, to get the time I spent with Season 3 back.

Universal acclaim - based on 5 Critic Reviews

1. Reviewed by: Steve Greene
    Feb 6, 2020
    These new episodes show how both the construction of the character and Pullman’s performance are a foundation worth building on again and again.
  2. Reviewed by: Diane Gordon
    Feb 6, 2020
    The Sinner quickly pulls you in with a riveting first episode and gets its hooks in you. The haunting ambience of the show seeps in slowly and runs deep. This season is graced with three strong leads in Pullman, Bomer and Messina and the chemistry between Bomer and Messina is obvious from their first scene together
  3. Reviewed by: Allison Keene
    Feb 5, 2020
    For drama fans (and crime drama fans in particular), The Sinner remains a very underrated anthology that always delivers a solid case with a great cast around it. It’s a good binge watch, but a worthy weekly exploration as well.