• Network: Netflix
  • Series Premiere Date: Mar 26, 2020
7.9

Watch Now

1. Mar 28, 2020
    Amazing series. Great acting by Shira Haas!! Watched it in one day. Would definitely recommend.
  2. Jun 29, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. GREAT SHOW! Considering it was a Netflix premier i was amazed by how good and attractive both the Story and the Film-making!
    i'm usually not a Netflix fan but this SHOW is something else!
    somehow i can relate to the poor girl that feels left out and disconnected by her own community which is the only thing she knows about since birth.
    she had a normal life but it didn't mean anything since it was missing the most important component that gave life meaning i'm referring to FREEDOM and liberty to live the way a person wishes to CHOOSE what you want in life!
    luckily for her she had an escape a small window and she took the chance despite the consequences that she knew it would probably result to DEATH!
    it makes you wonder does life without Freedom worth living or it's another visage of being DEAD?
    since it's obvious to most of us and if your answer to that question was similar to mine then I'm sure you're gonna be thankful that you ran into this show and you'll like it!
    Enjoy!
  3. Mar 27, 2020
    A série foi muito importante pra mim, saber mais sobre outra cultura, mesmo que seja um tema pesado, é sempre importante.
  4. Mar 26, 2020
    That mini-serie is amazingly good!
  5. Mar 26, 2020
    O trailer já tinha me conquistado, a minissérie supriu as expectativas, muito boa no que se propõe.
  6. Mar 26, 2020
    Some people really weep and whine all the time. they start, they go into a situation, they get out of the situation, they are given options, they are given no options, they are offered community, they are offered independence and nothing is good enough, they just weep and whine on and on and on. Zero sense of humor, zero love of life, just a constant sense of detachment from any kind ofSome people really weep and whine all the time. they start, they go into a situation, they get out of the situation, they are given options, they are given no options, they are offered community, they are offered independence and nothing is good enough, they just weep and whine on and on and on. Zero sense of humor, zero love of life, just a constant sense of detachment from any kind of joy. This show portrays a woman from start to finish weeping and whining about every situation she is in. About as fun as only critics can enjoy. Expand
  7. Mar 30, 2021
    I went into this show completely blind and I'll be honest that, initially, I didn't think it was going to be my cup of tea. However, I ended up really enjoying it. It's a very moving and touching story and whilst sometimes I could understand the argument that it weaves in unnecessary drama I was a fan of how it felt quite grounded. It was absolutely the best decision to make this such aI went into this show completely blind and I'll be honest that, initially, I didn't think it was going to be my cup of tea. However, I ended up really enjoying it. It's a very moving and touching story and whilst sometimes I could understand the argument that it weaves in unnecessary drama I was a fan of how it felt quite grounded. It was absolutely the best decision to make this such a short miniseries as it avoided dragging or feeling like it was artificially forcing tension. The leading acting from Shira Haas is top-notch, I've never seen her in anything before but I could easily see her getting bigger roles as she absolutely owns this one. My largest criticism is that some of the English-speaking acting (especially from the German characters) felt a bit forced but I'm asssuming that it was most of those actors second language so this is understandable.

But yeah, overall this was a bit of a hidden gem for me and I'm glad I watched it. If you're a fan of shows that are relatively grounded with a focus on domestic drama I'm sure you'll love this too.
  8. Oct 26, 2020
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The ending made me feel so good. I really know what she was going through because I have seen this in real life. Expand
  9. Oct 20, 2021
    ملامس للواقع واتفق مع هذا الطرح بل يوجد ما هو أسوء من هذا بكثير ومن ناحية التمثيل جميل جدا

Universal acclaim - based on 11 Critic Reviews

1. Reviewed by: Nick Allen
    Mar 27, 2020
    While "Unorthodox" has rich cultural detail in presenting this community back in Williamsburg, the tragic note it hits remains the same. In this story, religion is presented as a joyless life sentence. That’s an entirely welcome depiction whether one agrees with it or not, it’s more that it flattens out the story when it comes to making a challenging world or set of characters, and makes Esty's liberation all the more obvious.
  2. Reviewed by: Aaron Barnhart
    Mar 27, 2020
    Unorthodox works. It feels like an immersive documentary about a woman who comes of age while escaping the oppressive religious community that has defined her entire life. And a big reason for that is a superb performance by Shira Haas.
  3. Reviewed by: Robert Levin
    Mar 27, 2020
    "Unorthodox" is an achievement of searing power and grace, attuned to big, sweeping emotions and small, observational moments in equal measure. ... This is one of the major achievements in the history of Netflix original productions. You cannot miss it.