• Network: NETFLIX
  • Series Premiere Date: May 31, 2019
7.5

1. Nov 14, 2019
    After I had finished watching the show, I was absolutely blown away. I immediately rated it a 10/10. I believed this injustice had really happened.

Then I learned that the police questioning went completely different from how it was depicted in the show. Then I digged some more and I learned that a lot more things were fabricated in the show. Then I figured out what had really

Then I figured out what had really happened.
    The five kids are guilty.
    'When They See Us' is textbook propaganda.

I hope the truth will come out once more. The truth matters.
  2. Nov 30, 2019
    lies lies lies lies lies lies lies lies lies lies lies lies lies lies lies lies

Universal acclaim - based on 27 Critic Reviews

1. Reviewed by: Clémence Michallon
    Jan 3, 2020
    DuVernay’s four-episode series is a darkly-filmed tale that sometimes reads like a courtroom drama and expertly alternates between tense, moving and, at times, lighter-hearted moments.
  2. Reviewed by: Helen Brown
    Jan 3, 2020
    The emotional weight of Duvernay’s respect for the physical and emotional facts settled slowly in your stomach. You wanted to cheer when the wrongful convictions were vacated. But the sight of the now grown men returning to their childhood bedrooms hollowed the triumph.
  3. Reviewed by: Lucy Mangan
    Dec 4, 2019
    What could easily become agitprop resists the temptation. It is a dense, fast-moving series that examines not just the effects of systemic racism but the effects of all sorts of disenfranchisement (though you could argue they all have that same root cause) on people with the boys’ background. ... The performances, from the young actors and the veterans alike, are uniformly astonishing.