• Network: Netflix
  • Series Premiere Date: Mar 16, 2018
7.6

1. Mar 27, 2018
    I was 13 when I decided to step aside from any religion or spiritual stuff and that is because I believe religion is the worst disease the human race ever had.
    I respect the decision of all people to believe in some sort of deity, if it makes them happy, go ahead but for me it has always been a burden.

What happened in this place didn't really have something to do with religion per se but it does have to do with one of it's worst elements; when people abandon rationality because of their faith or their ''spiritual guidence''

I honestly didn't know about the Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh and his Rajneeshpuram community but I'm not surprised of how things started to get out of control, especially with people like Ma Anand Sheela, who undoubtedly got drunk with power and used her resources and the people who supported her to do what he did.

This original Netflix documentary is divided into 6 episodes of 65 minutes or so and frankly is very is well done, the subject was quite attractive, I liked it, although I think its lenght could be somewhat smaller but in the end it's sufficiently relevant and fascinating to reflect after watching it or to have excellent conversation topic afterwards.
  2. Apr 2, 2018
    I kept expecting it to dig into whether there was any merit to the accusations of fraud and other financial misfeasance by Osho himself. it's worth watching, if only to underline what a group of rich, spoilt brats New Agers tend to be. He surrounded himself with a lot of self-indulgent professionals who, ironically, thought that their money, collectively pooled, would buy them happiness.I kept expecting it to dig into whether there was any merit to the accusations of fraud and other financial misfeasance by Osho himself. it's worth watching, if only to underline what a group of rich, spoilt brats New Agers tend to be. He surrounded himself with a lot of self-indulgent professionals who, ironically, thought that their money, collectively pooled, would buy them happiness. Spirituality as consumption. The residents of Antelope come off as sympathetic even if they are/were a bunch of close-minded rural Christians. They just wanted to be left alone to live their lives in quiet and peace.

Some of the stuff these people did is pretty whacked, but that seems to be the optics and behavior of a small cadre. Sheela comes off as completely revolting. At the end of the day, the world peace these sorts talk about is peace for the well healed to do as they please and indulge their belief in their own importance.

Ultimately it presents the story well but offers little to no insight. Could have been cut by a fair amount as well. Too long with little to no pay off at the end.
  3. Apr 4, 2018
    A remarkable and amazing story. It's interesting to see how hate was met with hate, anger with anger, violence with violence, and the whole thing came tumbling down. Antelope residents got their town back, but it wasn't the same anymore.

Compare this story to the story of Fairfield, Iowa where many of the same kind of emotions and devotion were present, in this case toward Maharishi Mahesh Yogi, founder of Maharishi University of Management that was once Parsons College. The difference was that in Fairfield, the "Ru's" (short for "gurus") as the TM people were called, met hate with love, anger with acceptance, and chose to participate with the original Fairfield residents in creating a better community. As a result, the violence and hatred that was present in the early days in Fairfield has disappeared. The Mayor is a "Ru" who has served nine terms and been re-elected by both non-TMers as well as devoted TM practitioners.

For whatever reasons, Osho did not culture that quality of love and acceptance among his followers and so Rajneeshpuram became a Christian country club for teenagers rather than a monument to the power of his teachings.

Seems to me there's a lesson there for all of us. How will we choose to respond to those who criticize us or oppose us?
  4. Mar 22, 2018
    As documentaries go, Wild Wild Country is aces. A thoroughly detailed and gripping recount of one of the largest, most bizarre cult communities in the world, settled in a vast American landscape. The cinematography is terrific and the footage and interviews must have taken years to amass. What makes it truly great are the details of the stories that came out of the era all perfectly backedAs documentaries go, Wild Wild Country is aces. A thoroughly detailed and gripping recount of one of the largest, most bizarre cult communities in the world, settled in a vast American landscape. The cinematography is terrific and the footage and interviews must have taken years to amass. What makes it truly great are the details of the stories that came out of the era all perfectly backed up by the major players and interesting sub-players who were involved. They tell their stories intensely, with uncanny detail, without holding back a single secret. As a story it stands astounding on its own. As it relates to real life, as always, the history rhymes with other megalomaniacal figures and organizations. Expand
  5. Mar 21, 2018
    Excellent documentary, fascinating & challenging dichotomies in American democracy & legal wrangling. Two side of the same coin, exposing boths failings. No one to root for here in the end, even if you think the choice is simple. Great watch.
  6. Mar 24, 2018
    So much potential but dies in execution. Those raving about it are Netflix shills, in my most generous estimation this rates no more than a six. This would've been GREAT as a serialized docu-drama but instead it's a straight-up, let's do boring interviews of old people from that time period and splice in shaky, low-def film-strip quality video footage from long ago, ugh. So much wastedSo much potential but dies in execution. Those raving about it are Netflix shills, in my most generous estimation this rates no more than a six. This would've been GREAT as a serialized docu-drama but instead it's a straight-up, let's do boring interviews of old people from that time period and splice in shaky, low-def film-strip quality video footage from long ago, ugh. So much wasted potential. It also fails to capture WHY there was so much fascination with the Bagwan Rasneesh. Seriously, he was an old, balding man who possessed no powers/abilities or even the gift of gab, the documentary utterly fails to help us understand why he was such a draw besides his own meek statement that "before, I was asleep, now I'm awake." Wow, let's drop what we're doing and follow this guy around India and then on to Oregon, really?! I couldn't make it past the third hour of this wasted effort. Expand
  7. Mar 19, 2018
    I was very apprehensive at the start but this is a really great show, and not a mere documentary. It's long but very well organized, scripted.
    It cleverly makes us think about the current political situation in America....and turn the tables on the usual clichés of the so-called open-minded "liberals" versus the obtuse conservative America. It shows that the devil is in all of us and cannot be just pinned to the "other"....
  8. Mar 21, 2018
    The lowlife, christian(supposedly), scum should sit down and read the US Constitution. These people were not bothering anyone. They should have been left alone. Didn't the same thing happen to the Mormons? They started Utah. It is good to see nothing changed, I am disgusted with these so called americans.
  9. May 21, 2018
    One of the best documentaries I have ever seen. It tackles important topics of minority discrimination, religious tolerance, cult formation, indoctrination, group loyalty and the dark side of the human psyche. It is very entertaining from beginning to end, and it has some amazing archival footage combined with in-depth interviews with many of the people who were there. It attempts to beOne of the best documentaries I have ever seen. It tackles important topics of minority discrimination, religious tolerance, cult formation, indoctrination, group loyalty and the dark side of the human psyche. It is very entertaining from beginning to end, and it has some amazing archival footage combined with in-depth interviews with many of the people who were there. It attempts to be fair to both sides by just showing the facts and revealing the motivations and struggles that led to the various horrible events. Whether or not it manages to tell the full story, I found this documentary to be exceptionally educational. And from a popcorn point of view, it is gripping as hell. Expand
  10. Apr 13, 2018
    What I like about this documentary series is that it doesn't take sides and show a lot of people involved, even in crimes. The clash between cultures is well shown and they let you make your own conclusions
  11. Mar 31, 2018
    I just finished watching this entire documentary and was very disappointed. It has some promise of intrigue, some interesting reveals, but it really never hits a punchline.
    I think critics are getting swept up in the emotional side of it. I believe if you watch this only with an emotional angle, you will get swept up in it. Much of that is done well. But they fail to answer, or ask, so many basic questions. I've been a journalist for several years and was immediately asking all these questions at the screen, hoping for answers. I kept watching, thinking maybe they would do a big reveal at the end. Because if they didn't, this would be a terrible documentary. And they didn't.
    It's basically a bunch of old footage of people acting weird in Oregon, intercut with recent interviews from people who went through it all. I think the reviewers placed too much value on the fact that the filmmakers told both sides of the story. They did that much. But they never provided anything conclusive in the end. So it all amounts to a bunch of he said, she said, then it ends. They did not delve into any deeper discussion of cults, why people get into them, or if the regular followers were actually treated well. They never explained how they got so rich. That's a massively important missing piece of the puzzle. Of course super rich people can do outlandish things. Because they have tons of money. How did they get the money? Did any crimes actually happen? Was the leader actually a bad guy? Or just a kooky old meditation leader? So many critical unanswered questions it basically becomes a story of some weird people in the mountains who lived there for a few years then left. No interesting finale, or new revelation that changes the story. This is a sentimental whirlwind much like the cult it describes.
  12. Mar 26, 2018
    The degree to which federal prosecutors stretch our legal system in response to a legitimately effective and oftentimes unexpectedly compelling religious minority pulls you in both directions. I don't know how I knew nothing of this before.

Excellent documentary series.
  13. Apr 15, 2018
    A slow pace, brooding and provoking, a conclusion no real answers....but compelling
  14. May 28, 2018
    I was skeptical about this documentary beforehand. After the first episode I wanted to understand how the whole situation unraveled. It is a fascinating story and I think the directors did a good job considering the scope of the events. There were some holes in the story and perhaps some events could have been looked into with more detail. As a director you have to think how to balanceI was skeptical about this documentary beforehand. After the first episode I wanted to understand how the whole situation unraveled. It is a fascinating story and I think the directors did a good job considering the scope of the events. There were some holes in the story and perhaps some events could have been looked into with more detail. As a director you have to think how to balance moving a story forward or getting bogged down in too much detail as well as how long should we make this documentary. A really entertaining story with good interviews and historical clips. Well worth the time. Expand
  15. Jul 14, 2018
    The series is longer than it needs to be - 4 episodes could have done it. While it is balanced, it could have used more neutral perspectives than just from the main players who were mostly self serving. It did try to show that we as a country then believed in religious freedom as long as it was not some weird foreign religion (aka cult). (We still do, perhaps more so.) It also showedThe series is longer than it needs to be - 4 episodes could have done it. While it is balanced, it could have used more neutral perspectives than just from the main players who were mostly self serving. It did try to show that we as a country then believed in religious freedom as long as it was not some weird foreign religion (aka cult). (We still do, perhaps more so.) It also showed the zeal of law enforcement to go after a frail guru who was not a murderous criminal from all the gathered evidence. Lesson for all of us is if you stray from the narrow path of the mainstream, you are kind of on your own. Expand
  16. Jul 18, 2018
    Honestly, I found this really boring. The documentary seems to assume a lot of knowledge, and it could really have used a narrator to talk you through the events/timeline. It just zips from interview to interview and expects you to know what they're talking about. Disappointing.
  17. Oct 12, 2018
    Truly and incredible story and the showing how bigotry in America has been alive and well for the last 30 years. These people were hated by the Jealous and miserable old bast88rds of Antelope just because they didnt understand their free lifestyle. Now Trump leads his group of bigots back into power. Just a disgusting group of people in Antelope who hated the Rajneesh for noTruly and incredible story and the showing how bigotry in America has been alive and well for the last 30 years. These people were hated by the Jealous and miserable old bast88rds of Antelope just because they didnt understand their free lifestyle. Now Trump leads his group of bigots back into power. Just a disgusting group of people in Antelope who hated the Rajneesh for no reason,,,shame on them I hope karma gave them what they deserved. Expand

Generally favorable reviews - based on 8 Critic Reviews

1. Reviewed by: Ben Travers
    Mar 16, 2018
    It’s a challenging piece that requires the viewer to acknowledge their own reactions and then question them. In that, Wild Wild Country may be even more vital to a divided nation. It demands you see the other side.
  2. Reviewed by: Robert Lloyd
    Mar 16, 2018
    A highly pleasurable new documentary series.
  3. Reviewed by: Jen Chaney
    Mar 16, 2018
    Like most good documentarians, the Ways conduct interviews with key figures in this drama without fully passing judgment on any of them and leaving it up to viewers to draw their own conclusions.