There is a metric ton of game to be enjoyed here, and I heartily recommend it to anyone with a lick of interest in the subject matter. Small annoyances, like a mediocre overworld interface and the occasional unit AI breakdown in the RTS battles, are nowhere near enough to diminish this game’s overall genius.
One of the best in the history of the game. While many games are being renewed, see: Diablo II, this game also urgently needs to be re-released with new features. The buyer is already ready. I'm sure it will reach serious sales with just a few innovations.
Favorite game of all time i come back to it at least once a year, perfect mix of strategy, country running, and army commanding. The on the field battles never get old and still holds up to new total wars. Have never found a game like it or a game i enjoyed enough to return to it year after year for the last 17 years.
Fans of the Dark Ages will definitely get a nice playing experience, and for them as well as for the rest of the RTS fans, Medieval 2 can easily be considered one of the best games this genre has to offer.
The best Total War game. Period. While the battles are not as balanced as Shogun 2, everything else is great. The standout for me are the politics and religion, which are reasonably deep (by Total War standards). I also love the Crusader Kings aspect of the game, where building the family tree becomes really important.
Build pretty cities and stare at them amazed on the strategic map.
Then realize the single player campaign is garbage because CA can't write AI to save their lives. You can win any siege with 1-3 units of any kind and ballista/cannon towers.
Move unit outside of walls. Enemy will charge in. Walk back inside castle. Enemy slowly retreats while getting hit by tower fire. Rinse and repeat. Uninstall game in anger.
Shogun Total War (1) was better.
I find this game to be the most frustrating game I've played in my entire life. Why? Among others, there's the fact that:
1. Units tend to disobey your orders ALL THE TIME when in battle
2. economy totally **** in this game. it's vague, unpredictable and just plain irritating
3. unit damage doesn't make any sense. it's impossible to tell if your archers are doing any damage in battle, or that your cavalry is actually DOING SOMETHING. there is no such thing as a total HP meter to see if you are actually winning or not. too annoying!!!
4. the AI in campaign maps tend to attack you for no freaking reason at all. last time i played, suddenly the Roman Empire just decided to attack me for no reason, along with the Danes and the French. their behavior is beyond idiotic
5. you will be excommunicated for the most simple things. too frustrating
6. conquering lands takes FOREVER. it's too much of a struggle to just take a single freaking city
7. the overal battle system is complete crap. automatically resolving battles is NEVER in your favor
8. you cannot choose every faction by default. this game wants you to complete the 50 hour campaign of 5 factions before you can play as the race you want. why not just make every faction playable by default??
9. building stuff is lineair and does not have any depth. you build a tannery to get leather armor. you build a fletchery to get archers. you build a stable to get cavalry. this DOESNT feel like i'm building a city at all. it's lame
10. the overall repetitive gameplay. conquering other factions requires you to do the same things 50 times over and over again
i can go on like this for a very long time. please, don't buy this game. it's really bad
SummaryMedieval 2: Total War boasts an impressive array of new graphical and gameplay enhancements, including the capability for a massive 10,000 dynamic characters to be taken into battle at any one time. On top of this, The Creative Assembly have implemented a fully redesigned multiplayer mode that offers a dynamic multi-battle campaign bolst...