8.4

1. Oct 7, 2014
    Id say so far this game is not bad like some think. Its so environmentally amazing. The sounds the scares, the characters, and the story is sticking to its roots. I can say the cut scenes are mehh and sometimes the voice wont match its lips but other than that im having tons of fun with the game.
  2. Oct 7, 2014
    As a fan of the original Alien, I found this entry to be incredibly immersive and true to the film, even inspirational in a way that HR Giger would have been extremely proud. This is certainly not a game for people with ADD or compulsive disorders (i.e. people who enjoy CoD, Halo and the like) and I can understand why they would feel disappointed. It's because they were expecting an FPSAs a fan of the original Alien, I found this entry to be incredibly immersive and true to the film, even inspirational in a way that HR Giger would have been extremely proud. This is certainly not a game for people with ADD or compulsive disorders (i.e. people who enjoy CoD, Halo and the like) and I can understand why they would feel disappointed. It's because they were expecting an FPS and move around too much, too fast and probably die incessantly as a consequence. For those of us that like to immerse ourself in a world, take a long Sunday drive, and take in the little details, this game is exactly what we've been looking for. And the fact that it does this while staying so true to Alien form is very impressive.

I've been gaming for many decades and I can honestly say that this game made me feel like it was 2003 and I was playing Metroid Prime for the first time. If you know what I'm talking about, tarry not and buy this game.

To Creative Assembly: A sincere thank you from the bottom of my heart. This masterpiece is a true work of art. Please remember those of us that love it when you contemplate a second.
  3. Oct 7, 2014
    Visually beautiful, creates a sense of actually being in the Nostromo due to all the fine detail. I would recommend this game to any alien fan. Player beware can be very hard!
  4. Oct 7, 2014
    Survival horror that understands the importance of the concept of "flight or fight". Not always, mind you, but once you acquire the flame thrower you have the option to confront danger instead of just cowering underneath a table.

In terms of production, Isolation shines brightly. With a beautifully crafted world inspired by Ridley Scott's original masterpiece, and a truly exquisite use of sound design to help invoke fear, adrenaline, and isolation.

The only real problem with this game is how too unforgiven it can be at times. Yet, it reminds me of the Souls series where every fail inspires me to keep trying instead of making me want to stop. Isolation is a true AAA survival horror worthy of your time!
  5. Oct 7, 2014
    So what can you say? Best Alien game ever? Most likely. Perfection? Not quite. Whilst the game marvels with its infectious ambience and hair raising AI, it never quite manages to escape the extra terrestrial clutches of being quite irritating. Whilst it's non-AAA qualities allow for a game which is far from intent upon chasing the buying masses, it's insistence upon overstating theSo what can you say? Best Alien game ever? Most likely. Perfection? Not quite. Whilst the game marvels with its infectious ambience and hair raising AI, it never quite manages to escape the extra terrestrial clutches of being quite irritating. Whilst it's non-AAA qualities allow for a game which is far from intent upon chasing the buying masses, it's insistence upon overstating the omnipotence of the Xenomorph, can leave you feeling like victory will (at times) fall upon little more than a lucky break.

The games pacing begins with aplomb, as you begin to question the presence of the chief villain far before its arrival and, at the same time, are lead into a perfect false sense of security as it finally appears to turn your nightmares into a living reality.

The following hours are spent with an understanding that thinking on your feet is a necessity, whilst scrunched eyes and screen-avoiding head turns are sure to be the only way to shun an alien AI which can be considered one of the most intelligent ever seen in a video game.

Of course, this is also one of the games chief problems. At times, the Alien AI is simply unstoppable. Were he to say jump, my only response would be to ask how high. And whilst a bevy of craft-able weaponry may seems like the perfect distraction for his hunting expertise, you can be left with the feeling that if the game wants you dead, there is very little you can do to prevent your inevitable demise
    But (and it is a big but), this is what makes Alien Isolation everything it claims to be. It really is the ultimate survival horror. Forget the overused simplicities of low ammo in a world of insurmountable odds. This is a isolated ship in which you are restricted in movement (thanks to a very well designed level structure), clouded in doubt (thanks to superb audio and nerve jangling flumes of steam), and fraught with fear (thanks to a single entity set upon pulling you limb from limb). Alien Isolation will keep you on edge, it will make you question your decision making and, above all else, will ensure that you are thoroughly immersed whilst doing it.

Reviewers have been fair in their opinions that the game drops off in the closing hours. By then, you have seen it all and done it all. A heavy dose of everything at once does little more than distract from what has (up to that point) been a battle of wits against singular foes. However, if you want an October of fear to lead you towards Halloween, Alien Isolation is arguably the best game to achieve that and one created to ensure that as you fall asleep at night, you will have sharp memories of the speed, power and terror of the mighty Xenomorph.
  6. Oct 7, 2014
    Delivers on its promises. Not the Alien"S" Game some people have hoped for, but definitly THE 1979 alien movie game adaptation fans will enjoy. If you ever wanted to experience the movie first hand... Look no further.

THE GOOD : + Amazing AI +Oppressing environment + Faithfull to the movie + Great attention to detail + Very scary + The survivor mode and Crew missions are enjoyable +

+ Enjoyable story (But predictable if you are a fan of the movies)
    + Its not Alien Colonial Marines :3

BAD :

- A bit too long, which breaks the pacing
    - The AI can be a bit unfair at times (Ex : Camping an exit or locker for 5 minutes)
    - The saving system (while adding an extra layer of stress, which is good) can be very frustrating at times as it forces you to start over.

Not the perfect Alien game, but a VERY good one. Best Alien game since AvP2.
  7. Oct 7, 2014
    This is it. This is the game you've been waiting for.

If you're a big fan of the original Alien film, then this game will deliver. From the level design, art style, lighting, and retro electronics. This game screams authenticity when compared to the original film. As for the game play: It's absolutely terrifying at times. (Akin to that of Dead Space) The intensity of enemies nearby,
    This is it. This is the game you've been waiting for.

As for the game play: It's absolutely terrifying at times. (Akin to that of Dead Space) The intensity of enemies nearby, the internal struggle of "Do I make a run for it?" really makes the game a blast....Though on the other hand, where it's quiet. Where nothing happens, is equally as unsettling. This is where Alien: Isolation pulls through. The fact that you never feel safe in any situation.

Creative Assembly outdid themselves this time. Whilst it's not the game that people wanted in some aspects (You can't blast the Alien away with guns), it's the game that people definitely deserved considering the mess that was Aliens: Colonial Marines.
  8. Oct 7, 2014
    So far this is the best looking game i own aside from battlefield 4, the lighting,ambient sounds and music really work well and give the game it's true character as well as a story that most may not get but will reveal in time with season pass.
    Aliens Colonial marines got a bad rap but as a real Alien fan it worked fine, just wasn't happy with gear box lies with E3 footage. This game has redeemed SEGA with the respect they deserve.
  9. Oct 7, 2014
    NICE TRY IGN......,,,but no.

As an individual who favours a good horror game over everything else, this is hands down an amazing thrill ride and worth your 60-70$. Creative assembly nailed it. Rarely am I ever immersed into a game on such an in depth level. Story, graphics, sounds, pacing all get 10-10.
  10. Oct 19, 2014
    Pure horror and thriller game. A masterpiece for alien lovers. Great graphics and story telling, outstanding sound effects and voice acting.Certainly a must-buy.
  11. Nov 4, 2014
    Alien Isolation, is absolutely amazing, it's stunning atmosphere and faithfulness is at it's finest. The unpredicable Alien which suits the game very well, kept frustration at bay and tension at the front door. The game isn't perfect ( Some annoying android sections; Backtracking) but it's what I've been craving from an Alien game. If you have the patience and courage, much love will be found.
  12. Nov 2, 2014
    This is truly one of the best games I've played this year. They nailed the atmosphere, and it's an intense experience, more so than any I can think of. It may not be the flawless game we all wanted for Alien, but it comes damn close, closer than anything before it. So, at this point, it's Alien Isolation, Shadow of Mordor, Infamous, Wolfenstein, and South Park on my top games of the yearThis is truly one of the best games I've played this year. They nailed the atmosphere, and it's an intense experience, more so than any I can think of. It may not be the flawless game we all wanted for Alien, but it comes damn close, closer than anything before it. So, at this point, it's Alien Isolation, Shadow of Mordor, Infamous, Wolfenstein, and South Park on my top games of the year list, just so you kind of know what kind of games I like. Expand
  13. Nov 16, 2014
    This game is so one of a kind. I gave me some frustration but it is a Diamond. Game spot and IGN should show some respect.
    The best Alien game so far, and one of the best survival horror game so far.
    Graphics, level design, and sound and atmosphere generally is so a masterpiece.
    A little clunky game play ( cant jump, cant go over obstacle, little too long )
    But all in all great expirience
  14. Nov 1, 2014
    I can only brave this game in small doses! This is the most intense, suspenseful, and terrifying game I've played.

It recaptures the look and style of the first Alien movie flawlessly. The environments are fantastic as are the character models. But what really stands out is the sound effects and music...especially if danger is approaching. It feels great! For those looking for

For those looking for your typical first person shooter, this isn't it. I would instead, compare this games feel to that of Resident Evil 1. Survival horror, except in first person view...which is great! This game isn't meant for plowing through enemies with amazing aim...and unlimited rounds. It's hide and seek, as was the movie.

This game gets bonus points for not being your typical first person shooter, and instead opting to try something new! We need more games like this!
  15. Oct 20, 2014
    Reviewers like IGN could not be more wrong. If you enjoyed games like Amnesia and Outlast, you will enjoy this game. It is a fantastic horror game. For what it is trying to be (an Alien themed horror game) it is exactly what it should be. It's one of the best games I've played in the genre. I do agree with IGN that the story is stretched out a bit much, and that's why it's not a 10, butReviewers like IGN could not be more wrong. If you enjoyed games like Amnesia and Outlast, you will enjoy this game. It is a fantastic horror game. For what it is trying to be (an Alien themed horror game) it is exactly what it should be. It's one of the best games I've played in the genre. I do agree with IGN that the story is stretched out a bit much, and that's why it's not a 10, but it does so many things so very right. Expand
  16. Oct 22, 2014
    Excelente game, belos gráficos, um som impecável, uma boa história e uma jogabilidade muito boa, mas acho que deveria ter a possibilidade de matar o Alien, tive que parar de jogar algumas vezes, porque minhas mãos suavam. Tirando o game Alien X Predator, esse, com certeza foi o melhor jogo de Aliens que eu já joguei, e isso na versão de xbox360. Com certeza, vou adquiri-lo quando tiver aExcelente game, belos gráficos, um som impecável, uma boa história e uma jogabilidade muito boa, mas acho que deveria ter a possibilidade de matar o Alien, tive que parar de jogar algumas vezes, porque minhas mãos suavam. Tirando o game Alien X Predator, esse, com certeza foi o melhor jogo de Aliens que eu já joguei, e isso na versão de xbox360. Com certeza, vou adquiri-lo quando tiver a oportunidade de jogar nos videogames da nova geração! Expand
  17. Jun 2, 2017
    Amnesia: The Dark Descent was great. It invented the genre. Everything that attempted to emulate it felt trite to the extent that i gave up on the genre. I avoided Alien: Isolation for two and a half years for that reason. The middling reviews confirmed my expectations. After 2 and a half years It was cheap enough in stores to warrant a go (It was the only game on the shelf i hadn'tAmnesia: The Dark Descent was great. It invented the genre. Everything that attempted to emulate it felt trite to the extent that i gave up on the genre. I avoided Alien: Isolation for two and a half years for that reason. The middling reviews confirmed my expectations. After 2 and a half years It was cheap enough in stores to warrant a go (It was the only game on the shelf i hadn't played)

This game gave me the experience you expect from a new console. It felt like Tomb Raider or Resident Evil on PS1. Turok on N64 and Resident Evil 4 on Gamecube. It feels new and exciting. Its genuinely tense. The sound and art design are hollywood level. Beautifully presented. Remember when you bought games because they were unique and fun as opposed to having the quality of being an update or a sequel? This games a reminder of that and I'm so pissed that i allowed external influences to prevent me from playing this. The reviews are mixed because not everyone has the same experience. The a.i makes each playthrough unique. Well done sega. Games like this are the reason you invest in a games console.
  18. Oct 20, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When I started Alien: Isolation, I noticed the painstaking detail of the Torrens spacecraft which truly does look like it comes straight out of Ridley Scott's Alien. The voice acting was good, the sounds are amazing and stay true to the film, and the graphics and visuals are absolutely stunning. The second the Torrens spacecraft arrives to Sevastopol Station (where you will spend most of the game in), something doesn't seem right. The ship looks damaged and there is someone trying to contact you for help. You then find yourself on the station alone, and then you start to get scared. I thought the Alien was going to kill me the second I stepped in the ship. And this is where we get to the A.I. that the Alien has. The A.I. of the Alien is very good although it may sometimes bug out but most of the time you cannot predict which way the Alien will go and that is what makes the Alien truly terrifying. But the Alien is not the only threat on the ship. The other threats are people and synthetic androids called "Working Joes." As soon as I saw these things chills ran down my spine because I remember how Ash relentlessly attacked Ellen Ripley in the 1979 Alien. And when they do attack they are a chore to kill. It takes several headshots with a gun to kill one of them and many, many hits with a crowbar to kill. But when you get more advanced weapons like the bolt gun, they are easier to kill. But if they outnumber you, you are screwed. The bad thing about this game is that the Alien gets "killed" by Amanda Ripley about halfway through the game and the other half is fighting working joes which was a bit dissapointing to me. But, Alien Isolation is a great Alien game that we've all been waiting for. Expand
  19. Jan 21, 2015
    I'm a big fan of stealth going all the way back to Thief , Splinter Cell, Hitman, System Shock2, and my first game, Deus Ex. So AI is obviously going to be right my alley, and it is. It is also probably the most difficult stealth game to date, it will test your abilities to remain calm and push your patience levels to maximum. You are going to meet death many times!

Many of you are

Many of you are intrigued by the title, we all loved the movie, but gameplay is definitely love it or leave it. There is no in between, hence the negative reviews. Also you are pretty much forced into a 'no kill' run, which probably isn't going over well with the twitchy trigger fingers. Admittedly I would have preferred a no kill option I like to shoot stuff too, but I think developers were focused on suspense and it does work well. I'm still going to dock it a point for the reason, and walking( not running) grates on you after a while.

Overall, a stunning immersive experience. Graphics may look a little dated but it runs smooth, there is good detail, and very cool lighting effects.
  20. Jan 7, 2015
    Alien Isolation is a beautiful and thrilling experience. The developers did a fantastic job at emulating Ridley Scott's original masterpiece film. This game is a survival horror not a FPS, and the use of different tools and environment interactions can make or break your survival! This game at times will be frustrating, unbelievably tense and will require you at times hit the TAB button toAlien Isolation is a beautiful and thrilling experience. The developers did a fantastic job at emulating Ridley Scott's original masterpiece film. This game is a survival horror not a FPS, and the use of different tools and environment interactions can make or break your survival! This game at times will be frustrating, unbelievably tense and will require you at times hit the TAB button to plan out your next move! Expand
  21. Oct 12, 2016
    Gratísima sorpresa!!

Aún no me he acabado la historia principal, aunque creo que llevo 19 episodios completados. Los suficientes como para atreverme a decir cuatro palabras... Te gustasen o no las películas de Alien/Aliens, este videojuego captura la esencia de la obra de Ridley Scott ¡sino la supera! (quizás) El nivel de mimo puesto en este videojuego es enorme, y se necesita
    Gratísima sorpresa!!

El nivel de mimo puesto en este videojuego es enorme, y se necesita jugar para apreciarlo más que explicarlo.

Un detalle que me gusta mucho, y que contribuye mucho a la 'tensión' (survival horror) es que no hay autoguardado. En vez de eso en determinados puntos del mapa, hay una especie de 'teléfonos de emergencia' donde puedes manualmente salvar tu progreso (me recuerda a las máquinas de escribir de los Resident Evil, salvo por que no hay límites de salvado).

El juego está repleto de puzzles y mapas laberínticos de una estación espacial llamada Sevastopol (una especie de terminal aérea comercial -aeropuerto- con zonas residenciales e industriales etc) que tiene de todo. Digno de elogio ver la lógica y grandiosidad de dicho lugar
  22. Aug 16, 2017
    One of the best representatives of the horror genre with hide and seek. The plot tightens and does not let go until the last. A Alien is incredibly dangerous and a meeting with him usually ends with your death. Artificial intelligence of others is worked out to the smallest detail, and as a Alien absolutely freely moves along the space station together with you, and all this generates aOne of the best representatives of the horror genre with hide and seek. The plot tightens and does not let go until the last. A Alien is incredibly dangerous and a meeting with him usually ends with your death. Artificial intelligence of others is worked out to the smallest detail, and as a Alien absolutely freely moves along the space station together with you, and all this generates a lot of interesting events and situations. Expand
  23. Oct 9, 2015
    I'm not sure I can heap enough praise on this game - it is an absolute masterpiece.

From the outset it's obvious that the production standards are set at a lofty height. The art (both visual and audio), is fantastic, and are intimately faithful to the original Alien film. The atmosphere is crafted to perfection - no cheap jumpscares here. The constant threat of the Xeno produces a level of fear and tension I've never experienced in a game before.

If you're part of the ADD twitchy FPS generation, this game is not for you. Prepare to spend a lot of time crouch walking, scavenging for supplies, and hiding in lockers (!!). The story is not deeply engrossing, but the hark back to the Alien universe of old makes for a memorable experience. In an age where the multiplayer component of a game is often the core focus, Alien Isolation really nails the campaign.

From a mechanical standpoint, this game is well-built. I am playing at 2560x1080 with all settings maxed on a pretty old rig (Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, but with a newer Radeon R9 380 4GB). I get a near constant 60fps, which is stellar. I would say that the AA algorithms are not great, as there are still visible jaggies with settings maxed. I also encountered a few ♥♥♥♥ling bugs, but these were usually solved by reloading or restarting the game.

After the disappointment of Aliens: Colonial Marines, and AVP (2010), this game was barely on my radar. To say that I am pleasantly surprised by it would be the understatement of the century. I think Alien Isolation has earned a spot on my list of all-time favourite games. I highly recommend that you play this game...

You'll never look at a ceiling vent in the same way again...
  24. Oct 11, 2016
    Pros: Atmosphere, sound, graphics, story, the Alien, weapons.
    Cons: Very long game; 20 hours to complete main story; pointless missions, and lots of backtracking.
  25. May 25, 2016
    Excellent game...even 18 months after release. It's worth picking up in a bundle with all the DLC. There is a bit of inconsitency in the cutscenes, but they add to the growing intensity of the game wonderfully. My only issue with the game is that it does end with a few loose ends. With a sequel still not certain (but not ruled out), here's hoping they find a way to tie up the loose ends.
  26. Aug 17, 2016
    I really liked the AI, visuals and whole story. It's really amazing and I think that I want more of it! It's a shame that DLCs are so small and you finishing them so quickly.
  27. Oct 27, 2017
    If you want to be in an Alien Movie, this is the game for you.

Great graphics and superb asthetics (it captures flawlessly the looks of the movie). Superb atmosphere. Superb sound desing. Great gameplay. Good story. Great optimization.
  28. Oct 26, 2014
    Amazing. Never enjoyed a game as much just hiding in a locker doing my thing, looking at people's holiday snaps and post-it notes of things they never got to do. SO GOOD!
  29. Nov 8, 2014
    This game is not perfect, but it really, really brushes up against it. In some areas, it can be so frustrating that it makes you want to eat your own keyboard, the game is a touch long, and the tension really needs to have a little more juxtaposition with relaxed, safe spots to explore.

For the good: the game is scary as hell. Anyone who says it's easy, the alien is easily outsmarted, etc. is lying and just trying to be an obnoxious contrarian. Anyone who says the alien on two feet isn't immersive is also wrong. The alien is smart, it's omniscience as a constant threat from above or below even when it's not on the same floor creates a wonderful atmosphere, and it can be tricked into eating your fellow man when needed, or you can just sprint by the other suckers and the alien will just decide on the closer brains to munch. It walks with a sense of security. Sure, it makes sense for it to be sneaky when it wants to be, but that's precisely what it has, absolute control. It doesn't NEED to sneak around munching heads because it's an apex predator. It moves with purpose and is absolutely unnerving to watch thump along, not giving a damn about anything around it, held against slithering, meaningful motions when it's stalking someone. It's not full of jump scares and grotesquery like dead space (a game I do like), it's got this feeling of oppression weighing down on you, not knowing what action or sound is going to bring the xenomorph out.

The crafting is worked well into the game, giving you multiple options without overloading you with a bunch of items. This works out into giving you a resource pool with multiple outlets and letting you choose what you want to do with it, instead of giving you items themselves, forcing you to follow a certain method. This builds on the almost roguelike-nature of the gameplay.

There are only two bad points that REALLY slam the game down at times.

Firstly, the alien's AI is off at times. If it does decide to show up, and you happen to be in one of the hallway-type areas, you're going to be in for an obnoxious time. The alien doesn't patrol hallways well enough, it always sticks within a certain distance of you and never seems to pop back up into the vents. This leads to scenarios where you're hiding in a cupboard with your motion tracker up, and as the alien walks away, as soon as you hear it disappearing, you pop out only to see it having turned around and looking right out at your big stupid face. The best way to deal with it in hallway scenarios is to just nail the bugger with a molotov and make him piss off back to the vents for a few seconds.

Secondly, the save system is obnoxious as hell. It's a neat little idea, but the problem with no quicksaves is that it punishes exploration in areas where there aren't many save points. I had a recurring problem where I'd run out into a big new area and 5-10 minutes of exploring, sneaking past the alien, distracting him into enemies and watching with glee as he chomped their brains out, only to just get killed before finding the save station and having to redo the whole thing over. So the best method for the game is to just sprint from save point until you find the next save point, tanking deaths, until you know where it is, and THEN do a sneaky stealth attempt where you try to be clever. it's inorganic and retarded. Quicksaving would really solve all of the problems with the alien's occasionally dodgy AI and arbitrary punishment of time.

Overall, I'd give the game an 8.5 (rounding up to 9.) the two flaws and lack of easing off the tension knob (the game really turns it up to 11, breaks off the knob and then sets it on fire. I don't count it as a negative because it's really just a personal thing) lead to me getting just exhausted while playing after a few hours, instead of hitting the sweet spot of keeping me in the zone nonstop. I had fun with it, it's VERY replayable, even if you know the plot, the game will never play the same way twice, and you'll get more than your money's worth if you're a fan of horror or alien. It's definitely the best sci-fi horror game out there (and system shock doesn't count because you can fight back) so definitely give it a look.
  30. Oct 26, 2014
    Alien: Isolation is a true representation of Ridley Scott's masterpiece in video game form, but there are more then a few instances where this beautiful piece of nostalgia struggles to find its own path into the canon of the Alien franchise, the fact that the storyline mirrors the original in so many aspects of its storytelling feels a bit odd but still manages to present those moments inAlien: Isolation is a true representation of Ridley Scott's masterpiece in video game form, but there are more then a few instances where this beautiful piece of nostalgia struggles to find its own path into the canon of the Alien franchise, the fact that the storyline mirrors the original in so many aspects of its storytelling feels a bit odd but still manages to present those moments in a fun, more exciting way. Game play on the other hand is where the game truly stands out, smooth controls that mostly feel natural, the addition of mini-games that don't steer too far off the engaging and tense atmosphere and both Alien and android AI, when combined make for a unique survival horror experience. Expand
  31. Jun 19, 2018
    Don't worry – it’s scary only until you quit :)
    . . . .
  32. Mar 29, 2018
    Alien: isolation is one of the best game I ever played. Suggesting Creative Assembly in 2006 for doing this horror game was my great idea. They did magnificent job. If you want to compare it, you have to came back to Aliens vs Predator 2 from 2001. That was kind of scary too. I love the mechanics, graphics, but the very best here is atmosphere and terrifying monsters (even Angry Joes) orAlien: isolation is one of the best game I ever played. Suggesting Creative Assembly in 2006 for doing this horror game was my great idea. They did magnificent job. If you want to compare it, you have to came back to Aliens vs Predator 2 from 2001. That was kind of scary too. I love the mechanics, graphics, but the very best here is atmosphere and terrifying monsters (even Angry Joes) or rather one during the main part of the game. Play it on normal to survive. Hard is really hard. I would love to change only one thing, you cant hurt Alien, not talking about killing it. I do not understand it, but this is the only problem of the game. Next time, make something similar to AvP2 (2001) with much more possibilities and use the enviroment. I hope they will be given the opportunity to do this again! Creative Assembly you did not disappointed me! Thank you. Expand
  33. Nov 4, 2014
    An absolutely stunning game, visually and sound-wise. AI also features fantastic gameplay which is as different as it gets with the emphasis on being hunted (by some terrifying AI) rather than being the hunter. Unlike some players I found the length ideal... top game of 2014 IMHO :)
  34. Jul 17, 2015
    I played through STALKER relatively unscathed and horror movies/games in general don't really get to me, but this game is something else. I think it's mainly because you have bad weapons, few resources and you're better off avoiding fights. The atmosphere (graphics, sound, level design) is outstanding and it creates a tension I haven't seen in other games.
    The one thing I don't like are
    The one thing I don't like are the fixed save points. I know it's to increase the immersion, but I hate losing progress.

One tip: When you switch on the power, it opens doors for the alien to attack you. When you leave it off, the alien sneaks up behind you in the dark. Either way, you're screwed.

If you don't see any more reviews from me, I died from a heart attack playing this game.
  35. Jul 26, 2018
    Great game, visually extremely well done, with a scary atmosphere, and one of the best sound systems I ever experienced in a game. I played it on Linux, ported by Feral, and runs divinely.
    It just suffers from an important flaw: the save system must get revised. Sometimes you re-play the same subpart of a mission over and over and over, because you cannot progress until you got to the next save station. The game is so well done that it does not need to cheat by trying to raise the suspance just by preventing save games. Or it could do so more smartly, e.g. allowing save games more frequently with the time spent on a mission subpart.
  36. Dec 21, 2014
    The game is at first look really amazing, but later there are some repeating situations, repeating sounds, repeating environments and places, where you can (even) get stuck for a very long time, so, the game is in the end boring and repeating. That is a pity, becausy the game could be really awsome. That is the reason, I rate it 7/10. Pity...
  37. Dec 16, 2014
    I have seen the movie many times (I even fired it up again the other day after playing this) and can say that Alien: Isolation almost perfectly captures the mood of that classic. So many of the details from the Nostromo are present on Sevastopol station, like the dipping birds, the cassette-playing boom boxes, the style of the rooms and bulkheads, the 70s era low tech look and feel toI have seen the movie many times (I even fired it up again the other day after playing this) and can say that Alien: Isolation almost perfectly captures the mood of that classic. So many of the details from the Nostromo are present on Sevastopol station, like the dipping birds, the cassette-playing boom boxes, the style of the rooms and bulkheads, the 70s era low tech look and feel to everything. You even get to visit the iconic alien derelict ship in the game via a flashback. Cool! But the most important thing it captures is the feeling of dread, the anticipation of death around every corner. The alien is terrifying, but you are most afraid when you don't even see it, just hear it stalking the halls or scuttling around in the air ducts.

Alien: Isolation features a simple but suspenseful story, fleshed out by logs, radio communications, and a few direct interactions with other survivors on the station. The length and pacing of the game is excellent, there is never a dull moment. The manual save system that I was worried about is actually implemented very well, and I like how they incorporated the save stations into the game world so organically.

Visually, the environments are wonderfully detailed, believably authentic, and sometimes spectacular. I was disappointed in the character animations, however, which looked more like something from five years ago, and the dialogue was not always synced up well with the mouth movements. I hope CA focuses on this more if they do a sequel.

My only real criticism of the gameplay is with the last thirty minutes or so. Without giving anything away, after a certain significant event happens to your character, the gameplay suddenly changes from a stealth/survival game to a consoley/XBox linear action game with cut scenes and a final scene that is a god-awful quick time event. For a game built on the dynamic of completing your objectives while using your wits and limited resources to avoid detection by the alien and other human and android enemies, to end with you mashing keys when prompted was a real letdown. This game would have earned a 10/10 if it had a worthy finish that had you utilize the skills that got you through the first 97 percent of it.
  38. Jan 23, 2016
    A well realised game adaptation of the original Alien film that does a good job at creating an atmosphere of desperation and vulnerability. The sound quality is impressive and the visuals look decent for the most part. Most players shouldn't run into any performance issues, and it doesn't take much to run this game at a smooth 60+ fps, which is a bonus.

In most scenarios, the gameplay

In most scenarios, the gameplay revolves around playing hide and seek with a plethora of neat gadgets at your disposal. Rewiring systems and weapons also add an additional layer of variety and tactics to the mix. The Alien itself is an intimidating enemy and one that brings about a lot of tension and paranoia, but I feel that encounters should've been less frequent to really extend the anticipatory anxiety and suspense. I also think that the game is too generous with resources. More often than not, I was fully stocked on all my gadgets. Running out of ammunition, medkits and batteries turned out to be the least of my worries. In a sense, this lessens the 'survival' aspect of the game and the resultant tension associated with it.

The game is generally well paced as well. I was glad to see that the game was sometimes willing to give a break with the Alien for a moment and introduce segments more focused on storytelling and character interact6ions. There were even a couple missions that seemed to focus more on combating androids rather than stealth. While this might disappoint some players, I thought it was a nice change of pace from the standard hide and seek gameplay mechanics. The exception to this are the last few missions of the game where objectives became a bit repetitive and tedious, with much backtracking and padding of the game length. I think Alien Isolation would've benefited from being a little shorter as it did overstay its welcome somewhat.

Overall rating - 8.1/10
  39. Oct 20, 2014
    Absolutely a tremendously intriguing and engrossing game. It really brings you into the world of the Alien franchise. Excellent graphics and a really enticing gameplay. Level design is top notch. Pace of the game is also brilliant. I recommend this game big time.
  40. Oct 29, 2014
    I'm playing this game on all max seetings at 1440P and all I can say is: "Wow." The setting, lighting and the sound! Oh, the sound! 7.1 headphones with this game cranked up and you'll never think of a survival game the same way again.

I'm definitely getting my money's worth taking the game slow and putting myself in Ripley's shoes. My only criticism is that I was very misled by the

My only criticism is that I was very misled by the difficulty descriptions. They pretty much state that hard mode is the way it was meant to be played. Really it just breaks the immersion due to how often you'll die over and over. It's almost as if the Alien has inserted a radio-beacon probe straight up Ripley's ass leading to sometimes just absurd instances of the Alien magically coming across the map to the most random locker in the most secure room you could find just to face rape you 10 times over unless you just say screw it and run for the exit.

Otherwise... fun =)
  41. Oct 19, 2014
    I love it. This game is probably the most tense game I have ever played (Minus outlast). This game follows Amanda Ripley on a quest to discover the fate of her mother, Ellen Ripley. The game takes a while to finally introduce the Alien, but when it shows up, you are in for a treat. The alien AI is absolutely amazing. You have NO idea where the alien will show up, and when, making youI love it. This game is probably the most tense game I have ever played (Minus outlast). This game follows Amanda Ripley on a quest to discover the fate of her mother, Ellen Ripley. The game takes a while to finally introduce the Alien, but when it shows up, you are in for a treat. The alien AI is absolutely amazing. You have NO idea where the alien will show up, and when, making you improvise and craft tools like noisemakers to distract the alien. The alien kills you immediately after it catches you, and the alien is faster than you, so one mess up and you are done for. The alien "OP" is what many people are whining about, how the game is too hard or unfair. BS. The game is designed to give you the feeling of dread, and if the game is too easy, it defeats the whole purpose. The graphics are top notch, everything made to exquisite detail. The only gripe I have is the characters we meet early, the girl we have to save. I could really care less, especially when a 8 foot murder machine wants my blood. Overall Alien Isolation is a 9/10. Expand
  42. Oct 29, 2014
    Best played in the dark. Alien Isolation is the first real game of the alien genre that captures all the fear and tension of the original movie. This is a stealth game and those hoping to run around shooting and reloading, this is not for you.Graphically it looks beautiful and the AI alien is cunning, devious and will send you running under tables or lockers for protection, although thisBest played in the dark. Alien Isolation is the first real game of the alien genre that captures all the fear and tension of the original movie. This is a stealth game and those hoping to run around shooting and reloading, this is not for you.Graphically it looks beautiful and the AI alien is cunning, devious and will send you running under tables or lockers for protection, although this will not always save you. Best for gamers with patience and not prone to rage upon having to redo an entire section of a particular level again. Expand
  43. Oct 30, 2014
    Most enjoyed game experience Iv had this year.
    I'd recommend playing with some good headphones in a dark room. I played this on a pc and it's nicely optimised. Story's pretty solid and kept me engaged. I had some odd glitches with the A.I which is why it got a 9 but only on odd occasions. Otherwise 10/10
  44. Nov 3, 2014
    A Great game. Great atmosphere. Great Graphic. Great performance. Great gameplay. the story is good but the problem is the disappointing ending. the other problem is the length of the gameplay. It is too long. About 15 hours.
  45. Nov 14, 2014
    Alien Isolation presents itself as a stealth horror, taking some of the best aspects from games like amnesia and building upon it.

Aesthetically the game is fantastic. I'm playing on SLI 780Ti and visuals are up there with what you'd expect from an AAA game. In relation to the atmosphere, it's fantastic. It builds up using great audio and lighting to present a real feeling of

In relation to the atmosphere, it's fantastic. It builds up using great audio and lighting to present a real feeling of terror and tense.

the fact that you're unable to kill the alien really enforces the play style. The creature is agile and incredibly fast. If you're seen, you know there's probably only a 1 in 10 chance you're going to survive. Despite this, you always try!

The only slight minor I would give the game is the Aliens navmesh... on a lot of occasions it felt like even though I hadn't been detected the Alien was simply 'hanging around'. However, this is a very minor concern.

Overall, fantastic experience and at 20hours+ was a great game.
  46. Nov 28, 2014
    It was a great horror! Impressive visuals, great Alien AI. Despite that how hard it is, it can be still enjoyable.
    Surprisingly this game wasn't too overpriced.
  47. Dec 1, 2014
    This game is a fantastic single player game with a story line familiar, the Alien movie which captivates you to be excited to play on as it is quite long and entertaining. The game is moderately difficult in a unique way where it certainly requires more analysis and awareness in stealth methods of getting from point A to point B compared to the typical run and shoot method. There is aThis game is a fantastic single player game with a story line familiar, the Alien movie which captivates you to be excited to play on as it is quite long and entertaining. The game is moderately difficult in a unique way where it certainly requires more analysis and awareness in stealth methods of getting from point A to point B compared to the typical run and shoot method. There is a learning curve where growing some balls and moving onto the next objective is required. You may feel a bit tense or strung up during game play but that indicates a positive sign that you are entertained. Not playing at night times or giving yourself a few days to mentally stabilize yourself may occur.
    This game is long but not RPG long so its well with the $$$ and there is re-playability in terms of beating the game again just to see how better you do your second time around.

Graphics are also great/optimized. Does not seem to be taxing on system hardware when it runs. Sound quality is great, music cues perfectly during game play.
  48. Dec 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Any Alien fan should have this game! Beautifully designed, incorporating Rob Cobb's designs from the Nostomo into Sevastopol, it truly is a gorgeous game. But the setting is also scary: creaky, full of murderous androids and humans, falling apart, dead bodies and graffiti everywhere. Yet nothing is quite as terrifying as the Alien. Simply hearing the soon-to-be common sound of him coming out of the vent system nearby sets my heart rate soaring. There are so many tense and scary moments; you have to be dead careful and on your toes at all times, even on easy. And, even on easy, the Alien's A.I. will pick up on things (such as where you hide the most, it'll investigate where things come from if you throw enough distractions its way, etc). In fact, I'd call it 'not-so-easy' to be honest. The med-bay escape, trap, reactor area, and the ending are all full-throttle, palm sweating, teeth clenching, heart-racing, head-spinning sections which make this game my absolute favorite I've played so far. Congrats C.A. on such a wonderful game, I feel it will (as many critics also do) revitalize the now venerable series....who knows, maybe a sequel will be on the horizon? Cheers to a great game! Expand
  49. Dec 15, 2014
    Never has an alien game nailed the movies environment the game is visually beautifully mean just look at the level of detail they put into making the haunted environment, a mechanical master piece , the alien AI is challenging and the machanic that it elvolves through out the game is really impressive, the game is challenging, fun and the only problem I've had is the voice acting, the dlc,Never has an alien game nailed the movies environment the game is visually beautifully mean just look at the level of detail they put into making the haunted environment, a mechanical master piece , the alien AI is challenging and the machanic that it elvolves through out the game is really impressive, the game is challenging, fun and the only problem I've had is the voice acting, the dlc, some minor glitches but this game is worth the buy and don't you **** listen to ign the guy is a halo player and isn't used to challenges Expand
  50. Dec 22, 2014
    This is an excellent Alien game and a tribute to Ridley Scott's masterpiece. Being relentlessly hunted by the alien in Sebastopol is really scary and takes its toll. Saving system is great. Sound effects and really good actor voices add to the atmosphere. So, I would say that the game mechanics is close to perfect. Now, the writers really did not do a good job of following through theThis is an excellent Alien game and a tribute to Ridley Scott's masterpiece. Being relentlessly hunted by the alien in Sebastopol is really scary and takes its toll. Saving system is great. Sound effects and really good actor voices add to the atmosphere. So, I would say that the game mechanics is close to perfect. Now, the writers really did not do a good job of following through the narrative in the spirit of Alien. As mentioned by other reviewers a lot of the build up breaks down in the last few hours of the game, like the producers threw out the windows "Alien" and brought back the awful "Aliens" with multiple monster bashing and repetitive blue-collar work where the exhausted player has to turn on and off switches across the stations long after the climax of the game has been reached. Other than that, the first 80% of the game are so great that its worth it. Expand
  51. Jan 2, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've just beat the game a few days ago and actually needed few more to think this whole experience through.

Starting with the technical side I must say I was positively surprised with its performance on my not-so-new PC. I expected I'll have to lower settings but instead, I had native resolution at Ultra details level and the game was running smoothly majority of the time. The only time it didn't were cinematics for some reason, but that's fine with me. Even cranking up AA to max values worked almost well, apart from bigger input lag so I switched back to AA off. That's all my old PC though so let's leave that there. Sounds and music are fantastic - they fit the world and atmosphere so well you get a pounding heart just by the music changing, especially that you know it adjusts to what is going on around you. Graphics - fantastic!

Technical stuff aside, time for the real cherry on top of the cake.
    The Sevastopol station is so well designed it made me wonder how much time the crew spent on creating it. All the stuff laying lose around, like it was dropped in a rush and left behind, makes you really feel the station was alive and something went wrong at some stage. Attention to details and a feeling of the place being alive (at some point in the past) is simply astonishing. It's resemblance and Nostromo-like style has been presented in a fantastic way, it is so true to the original Nostromo you just can't ignore this game if you liked the original. Audio logs and computer notes of people living and working on the station help you immerse with their private lives, as well as add some background information as to what and when changed and how station's crew reacted differently to changing events.

And of course, the bad boy: the Alien. For the first time in a long, long time I've tried to survive against an enemy so deadly and menacing, I genuinely was scared with every step I made on the station knowing he's somewhere around. He does not follow routine paths. He is not stupid and easily distracted. He is an intelligent predator focused on finding and killing you. Give it no reason to be in your place and he will leave, but one false step, one loud move too much and he will be back, breathing down your neck. His patrol routes change, he seems to focus more on places he thinks you may be, be it you making a noise or sweating too much in that locker. He does random stuff like the one time he jumped into a vent when I thought it should be relatively safe to exit the locker, and even before I managed to make one step - he jumped back from the vent and - of course - killed me on spot. And that's just one of them (spoiler), the moment two start hunting you down the hell is up to a whole new level (end of spoiler). Noise-maker so that you can attract Alien away from your real position and sneak through? Wonderful idea? Well, the creature can fall for that but once he checks the device and discovers diversion, it starts to patrol the area much quicker cause it knows you're somewhere near.

The whole experience is very tense and scary, but in a positive manner. On Normal difficulty I played, the Alien was enough of a challenge to make the game challenging, yet not frustrating experience and I am easily getting angry with games. With this one? Not one time. It is well balanced.

Some things people point out as not so good:
    - saving system - I find it challenging yet not frustrating. It makes you think you're actions through before carrying them out, forces you to plan your approach, not just run around, tripping stuff, all-guns-blazing. I liked it.
    - Alien loud behavior - yes, it does a lot of noises while using vents but have you experienced the terrifying moment when you hide in a vent and he gets inside? He barely fits in and I can see why it may do so much noise. It also gives you a small chance against it but make no mistake: you need to crouch to remain silent and he is quicker than you sprinting anyway so I feel it's balanced.
    - Alien not walking on walls / ceiling: I think this could've been added, it would be so Alien-like! Yet I don't find this feature missing very disappointing.

All in all, approach to the title seems thought through and well balanced and pieced together. There is no easy way out, not one thing giving you instant advantage over Alien. Even once you pick the flame thrower up, it doesn't make you safe, not one bit. Yes, you may repel the Alien if caught with your pants down, but once it runs away, it will be back quicker than it ran away - knowing you are somewhere in the area instantly affects creature's behavior, it becomes more determined, aggressive and unpredictable. Fantastic experience!

Only one question: where's the Queen and where did the eggs come from?
    Besides, is the ending a little hint for a sequel? If so, I'm buying pre-order blind.

To sum things up: this game is THE BEST Alien experience to date. Bravo! Standing ovation!
  52. May 4, 2015
    It is important to begin the review by saying that this game is not a dark corridor shooter such as Doom, Quake and similar. Even though developers seemed to aim to provide the similar experience, two important differences stick out. First, you will achieve little or nothing at all in AI by deploying offensive playing only. In another words, you cannot shoot your way out of the problem inIt is important to begin the review by saying that this game is not a dark corridor shooter such as Doom, Quake and similar. Even though developers seemed to aim to provide the similar experience, two important differences stick out. First, you will achieve little or nothing at all in AI by deploying offensive playing only. In another words, you cannot shoot your way out of the problem in this game. And, second there is higher degree of exploration freedom offered to the player, extending their operational area beyond just linear corridor. I picked those two examples of old games because; my perception of AI was that it will be similar experience. As it turns out, AI offers more, although some of the additional game mechanics may not have been done well enough to be considered a value. Before listing the weak part of the game, I would say that game is very true to the original Alien movie, which I think is the other main goal developers try to achieve. First, the environment is incredibly well done and detailed. This makes it very immersive, and invites exploration. Second, the character animations are superb and on level one would expect for game in 2014. Game is something between sandbox and linear action. It is goal driven, which is consistently changing based on the story development, nevertheless, it is still possible to venture outside the forward path and trace back your steps, or just explore area you missed before. Here is where one of the negative aspects of the game comes out. As mentioned before, the environment is incredibly detailed and offers multiple level of exploration. The problem is alien. Yes, this game is about Aliens and their presence is absolutely required, but the issue is that at one point in the game, Alien is constantly above your head, frequently making trips down to the floor to seek and destroy. This means that player will spend a lot of time hiding in the closet. Literally! This off course turns the experience into cat and mouse game, which I think is overbearing and distracting of the wonderful other experiences player, could have had. Devs try to mitigate this by introducing even lower difficulty settings where Alien spends more time dwelling in the sealing, and less on the floor where it directly impacts the player, but the essence still remains the same. What devs could have done instead is create oasis of different experience, such as humanoid opponents without Aliens or different level of challenges. The problem is that the game is not bad by any means; the problem is that at some points, it is very easy to quit playing because the joy diminishes quicker then what new level or task can provide. In the worst case, I have heard and nearly experience myself rage quitting, just because try to replay 20minutes of game over and over, tends to get very annoying, especially since there are more fun alternatives. That being said, and without the obvious Alien “stalker” issue, this could have been game of the year candidate. I really like the lack of offensive ability at most points through the game as well as limited save ability, but as said, the experience of leaving the movie is overtaken by experience of hiding. From my standpoint: Graphics =9 (with sweetfx with very little effort), Map and levels = 9, Game play = 7, Animations and movies = 9, Reparability = 6.
    Avg = 8
  53. May 10, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game, is truly outstanding, the mechanics, gameplay, and the atmosphere, overall, it was epic. Let me start a review on the gameplay.

The mechanics are very simple yet sometimes, it's kinda hard but not that hard. The crafting is useful for 'heavy situation' and the movement of the character is smooth.

The story is beautiful also, it gives a nostalgic effect when you watched it's film, the tense, the character, the survival, everything about it. No wonder I got few nightmares when I encounter 'black' creatures like insect or animals. However, the story is so long that you've wasted enough hours to play but if you're a big fan of Alien, you can finish this game in no time.

The graphic is amazing, the aliens, the character, the androids, everything about it. Last..

The creatures... Gosh, the creatures are magnificent, I remember one time when I was kid, I had a huge nightmare about this monster when I grew big and played this game, the nightmare, came back to my life again. Once you encountered this creature, I'm sure you're gonna stay in the lockers, vents, or anything that the creature won't find you and pray that the monster won't eat you, seriously..

This game.... Is truly amazing. I can't find the perfect word for it but I'm sure, you'll enjoy this game but be warned... Don't play this at night, that's all :)
  54. Jan 21, 2016
    If there would be two words for this game then it would be “Near Perfection!” Yes, it is all what a game can achieve as nothing quite grazes the ‘flawless’ mark. And for that I am unabashed to offer a full score as the game delivers what it set out to achieve. What more is desired? Nothing at all.

Alien Isolation is a game of cat and mouse, and for all the hoopla and petty click-baiting (and the subsequent long whining sessions stretched across a couple of Ryan’s embarrassing circle-jerking videos) generated by the incredibly mentally channeled reviewers of IGN and Gamespot (and even Polygon) or that god awfully imbecilic Quarter to Three reviewer, it is a game that plays completely fair; it just punishes you for all the right reasons.

Shocking isn’t it? But had dear ol’ Ryan and Co McGees decided to actually read the instructions the game hands out like candy all the time, and maybe (just maybe) light the dimply lit corners of their heads to actually see the clear cut instructions at the bottom of your constructed gadgets, we wouldn’t be in this mess. Or perhaps, look a little carefully around as the items are plentiful, even in Nightmare mode.

Yes, AI plays completely fair and without giving much (as I want the review to be as spoiler free as possible), I would offer a few lines on this. The game is incredibly tense and at times very unnerving. You are literally the mouse in this game who is up against a cat armed down to its last … err … spiked tail?

Well, the analogy is as fitting as it can be as the Alien is a deadly killing machine with incredibly honed senses. You would come to know a deadly adversary in the Medical Bay, as when the leash is off the Alien, it’s just you and it one on one. And all you can do is survive. Yes, people, THIS is the point of the entire game; Survival.

You are literally stripped down to human level and I love the tiny details, as for example when you are putting bullets into the empty barrels of the revolver, Amanda’s hand would shake sometimes and she would do it slowly. Why? It makes sense. She is an engineer not a preposterous Space Marine but an ordinary young woman thrown into an impossible situation for which strategy and quick-wits are your sole modes of survival.

True to its word, the game tosses confrontations (for the most part) out of the window as it’s a hardcore Stealth game dealing with nothing but survival first and everything else later. You are facing a gargantuan threat, an unstoppable force and an apex predator. How do you think it should behave? It should behave unpredictably.

Yes, the Alien is a tough, unpredictable foe. It doesn’t care about your frustrations (I never had them), but only how it shouldn’t see and outwit you. I cannot imagine the infamous Medical Bay sequence going any other way imaginable as its second (or 3rd entry if you count the Axel cutscene) entry here is nothing short of spectacular.

Provided that the player takes notes of the impossible number of easy hints the game keeps throwing at you, I cannot imagine anyone dying in that heart-pumping adrenaline inducing sequence more than 2 or 3 times and that too on Hard Mode.

Your quick wits is all that is needed. And isn’t this the entire point of the game; outsmarting a deadly threat? It just is and its simplicity is even further reinforced by the persistence of the threat.

To be honest, if you love games that demand the attention span of a guppy and draw despicably unintelligent (shoot stuff, save every nanosecond, tell you where to go because, apparently, you cannot read a map a child can) crowd, then AI would prove to be something out of Milton’s parables for you as the manual Save Points and lack of pointless arrows pointing at directions (bar the obvious Motion Sensor aid) would frustrate anyone with a subpar attention span.

This game is a challenge and it proves so by putting you in very different situations to judge your capabilities as a player. You think the Alien is in vents? Try to sneak past humans or Synthetics. How fast are you in these situations to come up with an exit plan? Should I make a noise with firearms or a noise maker and risk drawing its attention or is stealth my option … or is drawing the Alien to hit it with a Molotov more up my alley?

It’s this mixing up of situations and multiple climaxes that hit the nail on Survival and the never-ending tension. You are made to feel vulnerable … and boy is the game apt at this play at mortal fear.

The pacing is incredible, and yes, people a story can have multiple climaxes. Ryan and Co never read anything beyond menu screens for good literature to fall back on as that criticism was probably one of the most idiotic things on the internet; nothing but incredibly ignorant individuals trying their hand at literary devices. I felt nothing but second-hand embarrassment.

A tense Survival game; it would be a crime as a gamer to pass it up as it's a surreal experience par excellence of a lifetime!
  55. Apr 2, 2018
    An amazing game which is the true definition of "Survival Horror" by all means!
    An amazing game which is the true definition of "Survival Horror" by all means!
    First thing that strikes you right in your face is its terrifying atmosphere. Fear in this game is not just about jump scares or even Alien by itself. The sense of surviving with great help of amazing sound effects and great musics and its bizarre level design all together have created something like nightmare that gradually rises the fear level inside your mind until the atmosphere single-handedly scares you to the bones while there is no one even around! Now add immortal Alien and other enemies that they just want to kill you ... well, there is no rest in this game. Fear and exhaustion all the way through.
    The story line and gameplay are also amazing that even through the long gameplay time you don't feel bored.
    An unknown jewel if you ask me!
  56. Mar 26, 2016
    A great game. Nothing else to say.. Okay, I will try to tell you more..

I'm not a fan of horror games as I'm not able to play such games. But this one caught my attention. The graphics is absolutely insane! The lightning looks great as well. It has one of the best game optimizations I've ever seen. Even on my old PC I was able to play it on ultra settings and it looked fantastic! How
    A great game. Nothing else to say.. Okay, I will try to tell you more..

How scary is it? Well, I alt+f4'd a few times. It is INDEED very scary. I couldn't play more than 2 hours per session as this game is very stressful. The sounds, the atmosphere, the Alien, the Androids and more! I also loved the retro style. The UI and computers in game this design.

Gameplay. Great... until the flamethrower part. I understand that at some point it'd be boring to hide all the time but flamethrower is too overpowered in my opinion and it ruined the other half of the game. You aren't afraid of the alien with such weapons, you can just scare it. But I loved other equipment such as noisemakers and EMP mines.

So, let's sum it up.

Is it scary? - Absolutely. - 10/10
    Gameplay - Gets a bit repetitive closer to the end - 7/10
    Environment - It looks like you're really in the Nostromo - 10/10
    Graphics - Beatiful - 10/10
    Sound - This is probably the scariest aspect of this game lol - 10/10
    TOTAL SCORE: 9/10
  57. Jul 3, 2016
    This is a well-crafted game taking place in a beautifully rendered space station - Sevastopol. The meticulously detailed graphics make you feel fully immersed, the atmosphere is tense and lonely, the soundtrack is superb. The complaints others have made are valid: the alien AI is not unpredictable but rather artificial, always staying at your side. The inability to do key binding madeThis is a well-crafted game taking place in a beautifully rendered space station - Sevastopol. The meticulously detailed graphics make you feel fully immersed, the atmosphere is tense and lonely, the soundtrack is superb. The complaints others have made are valid: the alien AI is not unpredictable but rather artificial, always staying at your side. The inability to do key binding made game-play awkward and frustrating due to failure to find the right keys under stressful situations: I know I want to move over there and do x-y-z NOW, but I'm hitting the wrong keys! Ooops DEAD!
    Still there are times when you can explore and loot, simply by keeping moving.
    I'm not a fan of survival horror, preferring to have the ability to bring heavy firepower on the enemy. Who wants to be helpless? The alien will cringe when you aim the flamethrower at it, but that cannot be used to maneuver about a room and back away toward your objective, as it always closes the distance even though it should know a blast of flame will be forthcoming. In a way the alien is stupid, preferring to stalk and attack you, rather than flee a proverbial burning building. I don't think marauding insects are even that stupid.
    Still the great elements outweigh the weaknesses of this game, making it highly recommended.
  58. Mar 7, 2016
    Well, this is a good game. When the game is on, this is terror in it's purest form, trying to hide from the alien knowing he's smelling you, trying to cut corners with him, hearing him slithering through the tunnels above or below you and not knowing when he will appear again just next to you... And it's not just the alien, the synthetic also going crazy at you slowly approaching towardsWell, this is a good game. When the game is on, this is terror in it's purest form, trying to hide from the alien knowing he's smelling you, trying to cut corners with him, hearing him slithering through the tunnels above or below you and not knowing when he will appear again just next to you... And it's not just the alien, the synthetic also going crazy at you slowly approaching towards you and following you all around, and then even the humans shooting you every time they have the chance to... it's really an experience that has to be lived, it's definetely recommended. The problem with the game and that makes it a bit boring sometimes is that those situations do not occur as often as they should. Between those situations there's a lot of walking/crouching pressing "E" on several things without really any thing happening, and there are way too many saving points, I think knowing that you can die any time when you haven't saved for a long time makes it even more thrilling, but before almost every "dangerous" situation you always get the chance to save game giving you the sensation that you are safe, something that should never happen in a survival horror. Expand
  59. Apr 12, 2016
    Es uno de los mejores juegos a los que e jugado en años me a recordado a el Alien Resurrection de la Play 1 ya que te mantiene continuamente con el miedo en el cuerpo, si te gusta Alien este juego te va a alucinar.
    PD: Juégalo a oscuras y con cascos.
  60. Jan 6, 2019
    This game has problems, like any other one, but back in 2014 the survival horror genre was lost in the wind, this came after P.T but it was in development long before. I really think this games deserves as much credit as pt gets. The horror in this game is present and the whole atmosphere SCREAMS (no pun intended) the first ridley scott movie. Maybe the Alien A.i is op at times and theThis game has problems, like any other one, but back in 2014 the survival horror genre was lost in the wind, this came after P.T but it was in development long before. I really think this games deserves as much credit as pt gets. The horror in this game is present and the whole atmosphere SCREAMS (no pun intended) the first ridley scott movie. Maybe the Alien A.i is op at times and the game feels padded towards the end but this is still to me one of the best in the genre. Expand
  61. Jul 12, 2016
    This game looks great, plays great and sounds great. It immerses you into the world. I played it on hard, which I usually don't do, but I had a good experience anyways. My only complaint is the length, but I was smart enough to play it in portions and not try to beat it in a few sittings. Still, talking economically, a longer game is just more for the buck, so why complain? By the way, itThis game looks great, plays great and sounds great. It immerses you into the world. I played it on hard, which I usually don't do, but I had a good experience anyways. My only complaint is the length, but I was smart enough to play it in portions and not try to beat it in a few sittings. Still, talking economically, a longer game is just more for the buck, so why complain? By the way, it will scare you and I still rememeber the first time the Alien got me. That just shows how scared I was... Expand
  62. May 23, 2018
    Thanks to this game, I gave the first film - ALIEN 1979 - a chance to make it to the top of my list. The game surprises me with its faithful staging, level design, and sound section. They highlight the moments in which the alien harasses us in any space, they are overwhelming! As for the script, it becomes long and repetitive, making the work of an errand boy after 2 hours of play. AI isThanks to this game, I gave the first film - ALIEN 1979 - a chance to make it to the top of my list. The game surprises me with its faithful staging, level design, and sound section. They highlight the moments in which the alien harasses us in any space, they are overwhelming! As for the script, it becomes long and repetitive, making the work of an errand boy after 2 hours of play. AI is sometimes unfair or random but does not hurt the experience much. Nothing that can't be solved with planning. Give it a try if you're a fan of the saga. Recommended! Expand
  63. Sep 28, 2018
    Alien: Isolation is a game that became a game of torture and dreadfulness (as you trying to stop a really hard to be killing machine from biting your frontal lobe all the way to the sensory strip [oh and it'll eat much more than your brain). It sparked up in 2014 and was played by many new and old Alien fans. I first saw game-play of this game back in 2015, but to me it just looked likeAlien: Isolation is a game that became a game of torture and dreadfulness (as you trying to stop a really hard to be killing machine from biting your frontal lobe all the way to the sensory strip [oh and it'll eat much more than your brain). It sparked up in 2014 and was played by many new and old Alien fans. I first saw game-play of this game back in 2015, but to me it just looked like some complex sci-fi game that wouldn't bestow any major threat. Boy was i wrong. Jump to spring 2018, and there I was buying the game with a bought $20 Steam gift card. The game's originally like $39.99 but I got it during the Alien:Isolation sale. I could have bought the DLC's that were also on sale but I didn't want to buy too much because I mainly bought the game to see if I would become intrigued. I wasn't into Alien, but I knew what the xenomorph was. The beginning of the game was something of a decent story. A ship of 5 sets out to find something they all seek, Amanda's being to get the nostromo flight recorder. On the way to retrieve the recorder, the people on board the 5 boarded ship (torrens) notice that the station (sevastopol) holding the recorder was damaged and so was the parking bay to park the torrens. Amanda, and two other comrades, Taylor, and Samuels head toward sevastopol in space but are separated onto the station after a huge explosion. Thus begins the game's true face of horror. The first few enemies are just standard humans and some small yet memorable run-ins with the alien and then robots, AND THEN come's the xenomorph's might of murder towards Amanda Ripley. That's what most of the rest of the game is:Amanda's attempt to find Samuels and Taylor while also attempting to escape the station as humans, droids (Working Joes), and above all the Xenomorph attempt to kill Ripley. But the people that made the AI and sound and feel production did the greatest at making the game a realistic horror. The fact that just one Alien can scare me so much makes so surprised and intrigued. The game even has throwbacks to the original Alien which I had to learn off of the internet. Thanks Internet! :)
    Also just a short little thing so you can see who hates who if you ever wonder.
    Enemy Survivors will fight against Working Joes, Allies, and the Xenomorph
    Allies will fight against Working Joes, Enemy Survivors, and the Xenomorph
    Working Joes will fight against Allies, and Enemy Survivors
    Xenomorph(s) will fight against Allies, and Enemy Survivors

***** S P O I L E R S*****

If you've never ever played or watched this game and you want to know what happens to each character, they all have pretty sad endings, but they're done so well that I always let them pass even though they're so sad.
  64. Mar 17, 2017
    In my opinion. Game Of The Year 2014! :)

Pros: - In all gameplay areas is on a good level of quality (Stealth improving the feeling from games like Outlast, very subtle but tense action, the crafting system similar to games likes The Last of Us and the backtracking, wich is not boring at all). - The game lenght (19 missions = almost "26 hours in Survivor" mode) - You get some weapons
    In my opinion. Game Of The Year 2014! :)

Pros:
    - The game lenght (19 missions = almost "26 hours in Survivor" mode)
    - You get some weapons but you're not overpowered at all.
    - The distribution of enemies and kind of moments during the playthrough. You're always anticipating what's next to deal and getting your mind prepared for a different approach.
    - Is related to the Alien (1979) xeno-universe.
    - A very optimized in-house engine by the people of The Creative Assembly. Is not perfect but I think it makes a great role on all platforms (including last gen). In this PC version DOF, radiosity, ambient occlusion and SSS nice. Particles sprites and bakes looks really nice. Every room or moments deserves an screenshot.
    - The art, the layout they took from original Nostromo and the lighting and feeling of environments. Is not that oppened but is a little step from other too linear games.
    - Sound design, folley and the London Philharmonic Orchestra.
    - Related with the folley, the Alien AI is most of the time interesting and feels different each time.
    - The variety of mini puzzles
    - The scary door haha!
    - SPOILER: The Nest!
    - Amanda Ripley's voice acting
    - Play it with DualShock 4 was great. Most of the actions feels better like the DOF control with one trigger and watching on the corners.
    - And of course. The hardest mode. I almost go back to normal but finally I beat the game slowly. It's very rewarding.

Cons:
    - I wish we could see more NPC's and side quest during the game.
    - Some little pop-up assets between a final and a low poly mesh.
    - The in-house engine works great but Nostromo outside looks bad.
    - Some rigged characters looks robotic.
    - The FMV use in some parts of the game.
    - The face hugger death animation ¬¬ (the cheapest animation in 2014)
    - SPOILER: Samuels artificial life end's too soon :(
    - We have to wait for a second part ;)

Recommendations:
    - Use good headsets ;)
    - Use Dualshock 4 or an Xbox Controller (is not an FPS)
    - DON'T EVER RUN!
    - Learn to craft wisely...some items are not that usefull if you're in a humans / alien / working joe's area.
    - RUN! Against working joes if you get discovered use an EMP Mine or an Stunt Baston and just run! (I don't know how difficult is to kill one in normal but in the "Survival" is a pain the A*s).
    - Flares can be useful. And there's a lot of them.
    - Enjoy the tapes ;) (all of them!)
    - Enjoy the music boomboxes like you enjoyed the rest room in Resident Evil games haha!
    - Keep moving. AI (most of the time) don't let you be that passive.

Alien Isolation es a great game that we didn't expect after the fiasco of Colonial Marines. It's great that games like Amnesia, Outlast or others are creating a new tendence of survival or at least horror games. In my personal opinion Alien Isolation is really refreshing for the AAA consumers ;) A game that should 100% be played to all sci-fi lovers ;)
  65. Apr 7, 2017
    Super scary! A haunting atmosphere, fantastic sound and awesome graphics that will make you sit at the edge of your seat. Great alien AI makes the enemy unpredictable and the lack of a quick save system really get's your blood pumping as you desperately try to survive long enough to make it to the next save point. The game is really interesting from a psychological standpoint too - you seeSuper scary! A haunting atmosphere, fantastic sound and awesome graphics that will make you sit at the edge of your seat. Great alien AI makes the enemy unpredictable and the lack of a quick save system really get's your blood pumping as you desperately try to survive long enough to make it to the next save point. The game is really interesting from a psychological standpoint too - you see civilization decaying into chaos as the disaster gets more and more desperate, and all that's left is the survival instinct. An incredible immersive game! I highly recommend it. Expand
  66. May 27, 2017
    it a Very fun and Intense game, a masterpiece for alien lovers. Great graphics and story telling, outstanding sound effects and voice acting. a solid 9/10 for me
  67. Jul 20, 2018
    Alien: Isolation is the best adaptation of movie in videogame form ever made. It captures atmosphere and visuals of Ridley Scott's Alien perfectly. Retrofuturistic giant spaceship with gloomy corridors and labyrinth of vents, loose apex predator tracing your every step and heartless corporation that is even worse than Alien.

The game itself can be split into two parts: first part that

The game itself can be split into two parts: first part that lasts approx. 8-10 hours and is absolutely brilliant, and the second one which is infinitely worse. I think 10 hours is the limit for a horror title overall, nothing can be scary for more than 10 hours) There are few good moments in those last several hours of the game, but overall they are completely uninteresting.

Still i think that amazing first part of Alien: Isolation is too good to skip that game.
  68. Apr 3, 2018
    Отлично! Лучшая игра в жанре "Хоррор" лично для меня. Надеюсь на продолжение, если появится, куплю обязательно!
  69. Sep 12, 2018
    this game man... almost a masterpiece.

full of atmosphere and it is the closest thing to the 1979 classic "Alien" (video game or movie), the alien A.I is not your typical A.I that has a certain path he walks to and back, no. here he does whatever he wants and that creates such tension and immersion that is unmatched in the Horror video game genre. you feel helpless. gameplay is
    this game man... almost a masterpiece.

gameplay is unique cause you cannot Kill the Alien. only scare it off. so instead it relies heavily on stealth which is awesome

the Story is great, Voice acting is really top notch, now why is it "almost a masterpiece" you ask? it has 1 set back. pacing. midway through the game the focus shifts to something else (which i liked) but it drags a tiny bit with it.
  70. May 10, 2018
    В целом именно такого перезапуска и хотелось.
    Это оригинальная идея серии кинофильмов, в ней был скрыт смысл атмосферы, которая рассеялась в шутерах по Чужому.
    Есть претензии к некой заскриптованости ИИ, ведь обещали непредсказуемую тварь, но морф все равно напрягает и расслабится не дает. Покупка себя оправдала на все сто.
    В целом именно такого перезапуска и хотелось.
    Покупка себя оправдала на все сто.
  71. Aug 12, 2018
    Alien: Isolation is an extremely gripping and atmospheric game that also has a satisfying, solid story to back it up. The Alien franchise is a perfect franchise to make a survival horror game out of and Creative Assembly has shown that to be true. When compared to Aliens: Colonial Marines, this game is a true palate cleanser.
  72. Nov 25, 2014
    Outstanding! I finished this game yesterday at night. I've never been so immerse in a fiction world ever in my life! A good game is when you really can feel the emotions of your alter ego, and i was scared to death the whole time. I felt like i really was Amanda Ripley and i cared about staying alive... The graphics are super detailed (not common in modern videogames) along with theOutstanding! I finished this game yesterday at night. I've never been so immerse in a fiction world ever in my life! A good game is when you really can feel the emotions of your alter ego, and i was scared to death the whole time. I felt like i really was Amanda Ripley and i cared about staying alive... The graphics are super detailed (not common in modern videogames) along with the sounds... and this helps delivering an outstanding experience. I can't even tell how many screenshot i took, hundreds. Every corner of the ship (and exteriors too) is a masterpiece of art. Good job SEGA. Doom 4 and ID software will learn a lot from you! Expand
  73. Oct 18, 2014
    Best Alien game ever made, and one of the best horror games out there. But if you are a shooter kiddie, stay away, since it's not a shooter.

IGN and Gamespot didn't get paid this time? Everyone else seems to be loving it. Also, I laugh at idiot reviewers who see long duration as a bad thing. How is that a bad thing? Most modern games are way too short. It's not perfect but damn

It's not perfect but damn close. Yes there's some repetition, but they could have easily avoided that by making it same length as other games. So, in fact there is no repetition, in comparison with normal (shorter) games.
  74. Oct 31, 2014
    Must play! best survival horror since Silent Hill 2. The game spends a little too much of its considerable time building suspense, however the organic scares generated therefrom are some of the best i have ever see. The game is as beautiful as it is well made. best i have seen in years 10/10
  75. Nov 4, 2014
    A truly remarkable achievement by an unexpected development team (Creative Assembly).

Sevastopol itself is highly immersive, and is brimming with detail and excellent environmental storytelling. Atmosphere is top notch, especially if you're a fan of the film. There are SOOOO many details that would make Alien fans giddy inside. The main antagonist the Alien, is very well done.

The main antagonist the Alien, is very well done. He/she/it/whatever instantly became one of the most respectable and feared opponents I've ever encountered from a video game. It's extremely intimidating, and a large part of that intimidation factor comes from its sound design, especially the loud thumping footsteps it makes as it moves. It's also highly unpredictable, so you can never truly feel safe, even if the Alien leaves the room. Every encounter with it is frightening, tension-filled, and just brilliant.

The other enemy you will encounter often on the ship is the android working joes. I've heard a lot of people complain about them stealing air-time away from the Alien, but I have no complaints. Evey encounter with the Alien takes A LOT out of you. The Working Joes are there so you can get a breather. It also helps that they fit well into the storyline, setting, and atmosphere. Just like the Alien, they have a brilliant sound design, and can also be quite intimidating and scary. It's also immensely satisfying to beat them up. Largely thanks to some excellent animations, and some really solid-feeling weapons. There are also a few encounters when you have to deal with Working Joes and the Alien. This is extra challenging, because any sound you make will attract the Alien to your position.

The animations in this game are BRILLIANT. Every action you do, the game has an animation for it. This may seem small, but it really adds to immersion.

The story itself was good enough. It did its job at gelling the game play sequences together and it did it well. The story was quite straightforward, and that's fine. It didn't need to be some crazy mastermind plot. I was content with it and didn't expect anything more. Only problem was the ending. Definite sequel bate, and just a slap in the face. I won't get into more.

Overall, Alien Isolation was the best survival horror game I've ever played. Extremely immersive, tense, terrifying, and at the same time an excellent tribute to the film.
  76. Nov 26, 2014
    An outstanding game with lavish attention to detail. For fans of Alien, this is an homage to everything we love. The artistic direction, sound, music and scenario all mesh perfectly. This is a lovingly crafted game that sands out as something special.

The DLC are cheap, but not that inspiring, but the core game is outstanding.
  77. Oct 24, 2017
    What a game, what a true gaming experience.
    Closest thing? Half way between Outlast and Dead Space, what comes out is a masterpiece. Better than both.
    I'm not a fan of the Alien series but Alien isolation is probably where you want to spend the next 20/25 hrs of gaming time. The Right story,the right atmosphere, the right music, the right character, even the light illumination,
    What a game, what a true gaming experience.
    The Right story,the right atmosphere, the right music, the right character, even the light illumination, everything is brilliant.
    You're hunted by a xenomorph almost all the game, can't do much about it except hiding (and sometimes won't even be enough). You cannot fight him, even if you burn it he will come back after a while.
    There are also androids (quite annoying) and humans (try not to kill them to add difficulty and get an achievement).
    It's not a game for everyone, so I suggest to see some walktrough first, many could not appreciate this but if you call yourself a pc gamer you should play this. A must.

Pros:
    Atmosphere
    Alien
    Scary/Enervating/Devastating
    Ending
    Can be played on a normal/low end pc thanks to one of its cons (see cons)
    And atmosphere, again!

Cons:
    Claustrophobic
    Coul get a bit repititive but is not that long as many says (I finished it in 21hrs)

Oh, MAKE SURE YOU PLAY IT ON HARD MODE YOU BLOODY COWARD

78. Oct 27, 2014
    There really is absolutely nothing wrong with this game whatsoever.
    What DOES help, though, is if you have at least - at LEAST - seen Aliens (of the sigourney Weaver kind not the Area 51 kind). It gives you a good kind of benchmark with which to compare how it looks in the film and how things look in the game, and the two are pretty damn close.
    The alien is well crafted, from initial
    There really is absolutely nothing wrong with this game whatsoever.
    The alien is well crafted, from initial encounter it is easy to see how well detailed it is. The music is well done, the architecture of the craft is bang on, including all the added extras like the really old on board computers to the old cassette/radio players.
    I think anyone who really gets the Alien series will love this game. It's got the right look to it, the right feel to it, basically, it's definitely the bees knees for this kind of game.
  79. Oct 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I head first into the game like for 45 mins and yes indeed the game looks astonishing visually.First impression was extremely positive,as i have been a die hard fan of the original Alien movie and it still haunts me in my dreams sometimes,and so when the gameplay opens up it reminds me of the movie setting.The stealthy gameplay is interesting and is really kinda scary that can haunt you eternally.And ohh god the first encounter with the alien organism,i can bet that no matter how much guts you've got...your ass will shrink atleast once in a while when you see that creature running to you. Expand
  80. Jan 5, 2016
    Turn on Alien: Isolation.

Play for 1.5 hours. Ambience has me rattling like a coffin in an earthquake. During this time, never even saw the Alien. Finally catch a brief glimpse of the Alien's tail. Turn off game, call mom to tell her I love her. Update blood pressure medication. Can now only play this game during the day, with the lights on, while listening to the
    Turn on Alien: Isolation.

Play for 1.5 hours.

Ambience has me rattling like a coffin in an earthquake.

During this time, never even saw the Alien.

Finally catch a brief glimpse of the Alien's tail.

Turn off game, call mom to tell her I love her.

Update blood pressure medication.

Can now only play this game during the day, with the lights on, while listening to the "Happy Days" theme on loop.

81. Oct 21, 2014
    The game have all that a fan need from an Alien game, Perfect ambient, good gameplay with a nice "bad guy", the alien is the perfect son of a **** of the game, unpredictable movement, one hit one kill, if you don't have the flame-throwers ;), he learn, for each flare that receives it resist more and he have more aggressive movements. The humans are not the most intelligence but who cares,The game have all that a fan need from an Alien game, Perfect ambient, good gameplay with a nice "bad guy", the alien is the perfect son of a **** of the game, unpredictable movement, one hit one kill, if you don't have the flame-throwers ;), he learn, for each flare that receives it resist more and he have more aggressive movements. The humans are not the most intelligence but who cares, the protagonist is the Alien.

Good graphics, good BSO (most are the originals from first movie), good history on the line of the first and second movie...
    In summary, if you like the saga you need this game ;)
  82. Oct 11, 2014
    This game is a (terrifying) love letter to any person who prefers the original Alien movie to its also fantastic sequel. Even players who don't usually like horror games will feel compelled to go on and explore the picture-perfect recreation of the dark, low-high-tech sci-fi vision of the 1979's movie, filled with CRT screens, mechanical computers and steam vents.

This is not a shooter,

This is not a shooter, so be prepared to hide, crouch through vents, and peer in horror at your motion detector as the beeping green blip comes closer and closer to you while you try to hold your breath and not make a noise.

The game is difficult, occasionally unfair, and has a checkpoint save system that reminds me of Dark Souls' bonfires. It all works great to build an incredible level of tension and fear, but it will also be frustrating to players who don't want to try something different to modern straightforward shooters with quicksave systems.

Technically, the game is a wonder. Graphics are the best I've ever seen, and they feel very well optimized for PC. Sound is even better. Every mechanical noise will bring you back to the original movie, and the music feels dynamic and oppressive, including some cues from the original movie soundtrack. The surround audio is also brilliant, and it's just as useful as your motion detector when trying to guess where the creature is.

I can't recommend this game highly enough for fans of the first Alien movie, OR fans of horror games. For everyone else, it will probably not be their cup of tea.
  83. Oct 13, 2014
    Incredibly well done!FUN, TERRIFYING AND SURPRISING. This game is what alien fans was waiting for years. Excellent graphic, excellent atmosphere and sorround sound. EXCELLENT performance in mid-range pc! and.. oh yes! finally, DIFFICULT AS HELL! no more regen-life, no more auto-checkpoints, the old school gaming is finally here. The Alien, humans and androids, all of them are hard toIncredibly well done!FUN, TERRIFYING AND SURPRISING. This game is what alien fans was waiting for years. Excellent graphic, excellent atmosphere and sorround sound. EXCELLENT performance in mid-range pc! and.. oh yes! finally, DIFFICULT AS HELL! no more regen-life, no more auto-checkpoints, the old school gaming is finally here. The Alien, humans and androids, all of them are hard to avoid or to fight. Every encounter is a challenge, and meet with the alien face to face, a death sentence. Aliens IA is increible, searching for humans ( not only for you) every time, it could be in the celling, on the flor, in the air ducts.. everywhere... and the game is LOOONG and with a great story. The producers has captured perfectly the 80's future view of the Alien universe. This game is game of the year without a doubt! Expand
  84. Oct 16, 2014
    If you are a fan of the Alien universe and old classic 1979 film, then you'll feel right at home.

Visuals ---------- The game captures the old analog feel of the universe perfectly. Everything seems futuristic but at the same time feels old and clunky. That mix of old and new is hard to capture and Creative Assembly did this with flying colors. The alien itself is also brought to life

Visuals
    ----------
    The game captures the old analog feel of the universe perfectly. Everything seems futuristic but at the same time feels old and clunky. That mix of old and new is hard to capture and Creative Assembly did this with flying colors. The alien itself is also brought to life with beautiful animations and looks exactly how I remember from the old film. Unfortunately, characters and their mouths in some cutscenes can be a little lacking. However, never to the point you are taken out of the universe. Cutscenes and character models still look great. Just nothing to marvel over. I also noticed how in game characters lips wouldn't match what they were saying all the time. Forgivable with everything else the game nails. Visuals- 9/10

Gameplay
    --------------
    Finally an alien game that doesn't have you blasting away every alien in sight. The game is a first person survival horror that focuses on stealth. In fact it is a MUST! The alien is STRONG and will kill you on sight. I have seen some complaints about the alien being OP but honestly......it would kill you as fast as it does. The instant death adds CRAZY tension as you desperately hide under desks and in lockers. The game is long and needs to be taken slow, which will not appeal to all. If you try and sprint at the wrong time the alien will hear you and it won't take long till its all over. Also, there have been comments about it getting repetitive, which I believe is false. The game never lets up the tension and you believe everything that is going wrong and why you would need to head back to an area. Which, never happens that often. You may go back to 1 or 2 areas but they will be VERY different because the alien and station have changed since your last time being there. Which all adds to the believability of the game. Amanda is given a wide range of weapons but, unfortunately I found myself hugging the flamethrower all the time when I got it. All the other guns and weapons look and function perfectly. But the flame thrower is such a safe haven from the alien its hard to get away from. There are a few hacking mini games that add CRAZY tension. They do not pause the game and for all you know the alien could be right behind you as you start, making every encounter with a hackable door tense, and awesome. Amanda moves well and is easy to control. I never ran into a SINGLE bug or glitch in over 16+ hours. The gameplay is great, but I felt that the flamethrower (still a great aspect) made me feel too safe at moments. When you get the chance to use the other weapons on people and androids, like the pistol, it feels fresh and fun. But be warned, the alien can hear every shot! Gameplay- 9/10

Sound and Voice
    ----------------------
    The game sounds beautiful. Clunky sounds that fit beautifully with the universe. As you walk down the corridors you will hear your every step echo through the halls, worrying you if someone is listening. The clunky analog computers sound exactly like how you would imagine. Kezia Burrows voice acts Amanda Ripley and does a phenomenal job. Every time something goes wrong you BELIEVE she is distressed at the situation. You believe Amanda is scared out of her mind at moments because of the great line deliveries Kezia Burrows gives. a specific moment is when Amanda is dodging train cars......I felt like an actual persons life was in my hands. All other characters are acted very well as well minus one character named Marlow who was mostly forgettable. Also, the music is perfect, fitting in the world perfectly. And hearing the old classic theme is an amazing throw back. Tense music during Alien/Human/Android attacks are great. Sound and voice- 8/10

Story
    -------
    Story starts of a little quick, which seems to just THROW Amanda into the current situation. Once you arrive on the Station, that is where the story begins to shine. Figuring out ways to survive and find your crew, while simultaneously trying to search of answer about Ellen (Amanda's mother) is fun. However, the game seems to throw away the whole Ellen aspect of the story early with one quick moment with the flight recorder which I won't spoil. Then it is brought back up for a quick instant at the end. Still fun when its happening though. The true fun is in the story of survival which is captured beautifully by everything above. No details about that, in order to avoid spoilers. Just know its a fun ride. Story- 8/10

All aspects of this game are strong. Other than some wonky lip syncing in game, feeling to attached to the flamethrower, and the Ellen story seeming tossed, this game nails everything. From the amazing visuals, to the fun gameplay, great Voice acting and sound design, and Amanda's great story of survival on the sevastopol make for a game that will appeal to all gamers. Not just fans of the universe. Alien Isolation is a ride worth taking.
  85. Oct 9, 2014
    This is in my opinion the Alien game we've been waiting for and as of now my Game of the Year.
    Even without the Aliens unscripted AI this game would be brilliant with its well realised world that basically sits you in Ridley's idea for this universe buts its the Alien that sets this game apart from games like Outlast or Amnesia.
    The issue most horror games have is predictable AI with

The issue most horror games have is predictable AI with set paths, while its still scary you can easily learn the enemies path and get into this repetition of waiting around a corner and then moving out when they've gone past, now while this does happen from time to time in Isolation with the other enemies (Androids and Humans), when you're dealing with the Alien there is no scripted path.
    The fact that the Alien doesn't follow a path makes it so refreshing because theres no studying its path and then exploiting it, theres just you having to make quick decisions and using your available gadgets to improvise on the fly.
    This is also another area games like Outlast and Amnesia have a problem with, giving you no way to defend yourself. Now while that may seem to be a good thing and be more scary, allowing you to have a fighting chance prevents the game from becoming boring and monotonous.

If you've been waiting for a proper Alien game this is as close as you're gonna get, great campaign length (took me 21 hours on Hard) and wonderful atmosphere make for one of the best survival horror games.
  86. Oct 8, 2014
    Everybody knows by now that the atmosphere in this game is amazing, because it is. Everything works, yet looks unique giving each area a certain character. Gameplay wise, the game takes a while to gain moment and complexity, but once it reaches that point the possibilities for completing a mission are endless. This is thanks to the crafting system and the excellent "peep" mechanics. TheEverybody knows by now that the atmosphere in this game is amazing, because it is. Everything works, yet looks unique giving each area a certain character. Gameplay wise, the game takes a while to gain moment and complexity, but once it reaches that point the possibilities for completing a mission are endless. This is thanks to the crafting system and the excellent "peep" mechanics. The enemies are challenging, and each in their won ways. I found myself being relieved at each interval when I would switch from Joe's to the Xeno or even humans. It keeps it fresh. What holds it back is the glitches that are a little to frequent to ignore. People talk without moving their lips, whole death sequences falter leaving a character alive who is scripted as being dead. These things aside, the best story telling didn't happen in the cutscenes (although those are a delight), they happened in the voice acting from Amanda herself. Truly the best I've heard in a game. 9/10 Expand
  87. Oct 12, 2014
    This is what Horror Games need, some logic. Its so hard to survive and you cant hide from it when you go in vents, for example in Amnesia your being chased and you hide in a hole so that the monster doesn't get you even if the monster knows your in the hole. But in this game its like how it is in real life and in the movie and it's atmosphere and etc. It's one of the top scariest games forThis is what Horror Games need, some logic. Its so hard to survive and you cant hide from it when you go in vents, for example in Amnesia your being chased and you hide in a hole so that the monster doesn't get you even if the monster knows your in the hole. But in this game its like how it is in real life and in the movie and it's atmosphere and etc. It's one of the top scariest games for me like Outlast. Have fun with them spooks! Expand
  88. Oct 14, 2014
    Amazing game, very atmospheric the detail from the movies is spot on, this has been the Alien game I have been waiting for. Everything from Lighting, Sounds and Textures is very well done. The story is gripping and makes you want know the outcome of the character with every step of the game.

There was one point in the game where I was so terrified I sat there in the cold corner of a ventilation griping my gun with fear... the horror in this is very intense. It also has a lot of action elements to the game which add to the enjoyment.

The story also fits between the 2 first movies Alien and Aliens (which makes it a good idea to watch the movies before hand to get a good idea of what is going on. Just to make the experience even better)

My personal opinion is there has been a lot of thought and effort put into this game so i'm going to give it 10/10 Beautiful Game.
  89. Oct 21, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This was the best game i've ever played. hands down the ending really aggravated me because it was SO epic....this game is epic anyone who thinks other wise...well good luck to you Expand
  90. Oct 14, 2014
    The best game I have bought this year. I had decided to go the pre-order route despite the let down of Aliens: Colonial Marines. As a massive fan of the 1979 movie I had to get this game, the idea of a survival horror instantly got my unwavering attention and having played some 30 hours so far am delighted with the end product. The game is very tense, creates a shedload of atmosphere andThe best game I have bought this year. I had decided to go the pre-order route despite the let down of Aliens: Colonial Marines. As a massive fan of the 1979 movie I had to get this game, the idea of a survival horror instantly got my unwavering attention and having played some 30 hours so far am delighted with the end product. The game is very tense, creates a shedload of atmosphere and in visually stunning as well as keeping true to the Ridley Scott feel of the sets and tech. The game has some very minor flaws but nothing that won't get ironed out when some patches roll out, other than that this will be my game of the year. The game was exactly what I had expected from all the trailers and interviews regarding it, focusing mainly on stealth and survival, this isn't a game for people who want a run and gun experience and it's very important to emphasize that fact as people still seem to be buying games without having done any research beforehand and then complaining that it wasn't what they thought it was, hence the reason for some low scores on here. I love this game, and hats off to Creative Assembly for delivering a fantastic game that finally does my favorite movie of all time some justice. Expand
  91. Oct 19, 2014
    One of the best pure survival experiences ever. The game looked and felt amazing and the story was great and the enemy AI was amazingly unpredictable. Now it was far from perfect as it did have its share of bugs( alien sometimes magically knowing where i am, things going through walls) and in my opinion a lack of real jumpscares, this is easily one of the most stressful (in a good way)One of the best pure survival experiences ever. The game looked and felt amazing and the story was great and the enemy AI was amazingly unpredictable. Now it was far from perfect as it did have its share of bugs( alien sometimes magically knowing where i am, things going through walls) and in my opinion a lack of real jumpscares, this is easily one of the most stressful (in a good way) games ive ever played and the length makes it more than worth the price and i found it dosent even get repetitive thanks to the great twists of the story, the and the enemy AI. The ending was also fantastic. Don't know why this game has gotten so many mixed reviews, its simply amazing. A true masterpiece and a must play for any alien or horror fan Expand
  92. Oct 11, 2014
    I admire its purity. A stealth game... shrouded in darkness, devoid of quicksaves, or delusions of safety.
    It could never fully live up to its inspiration, but this is unmatched as a constipation aid.
  93. Oct 9, 2014
    I loved this game! It's beautiful and was able to create this dense atmosphere from the movies to the game. It's an awesome game for sure! So if you're looking for suspense, my friend, you find it!
  94. Oct 14, 2014
    Spectacular.

Absolutely terrifying, beautifuly designed, with an engaging, long and perfectly paced campaign that has a good scenario that's full of surprises. The presentation is astonishing, some of the best audio/video I ever saw. There are some minor issues (occasional AI bugs, some technical bugs, characters that, despite interesting motivation, are rather flat), but they're
    Spectacular.

There are some minor issues (occasional AI bugs, some technical bugs, characters that, despite interesting motivation, are rather flat), but they're overshadowed by Isolation being probably the most terrifying game in years, if not ever (I say this as a fan of the genre).

Lastly, series' fans will appreciate the amount of homage this game offers towards the original Alien. Still, this it's beyond being pure fanservice. Taking cues from the likes of Bioshock, Amnesia or OutlastIt's and solidifying them into a coherent whole, it's a new quality of video game horror.
  95. Oct 20, 2014
    If you saw first film, you must buy it. This game is tribute to fans of the first film. Everything in film was designed as film. Surroundings, history, graphic etc. But one thing is a little bad. Bullets reflecting from Alien. But if you want horor game with awesome AI, which learn from yours steps and actions in the setting of the first film in the beautiful graphics . Buy it!
  96. Oct 20, 2014
    First of all, I'm not big fan of horror games, but I'm huge fan of Alien movie franchise.. and oh my god this game delivers. It absolutely sucked me in. Brilliant sound effects and music, lighting effects, superb atmosphere and it keeps the tension thru whole game. You simply feel the game, if you know what I mean ;)
  97. Oct 9, 2014
    First great game after long lull with games, especially games about Alien. The last one was Alien vs Predator 2. This one by feelings is very close to first film Alien. IGN was totally not right about this game. It's really interesting, scary and intense and I can't stop playing it!! Even at night)
  98. Oct 11, 2014
    Lets face it, different strokes for different folks meaning, If you are a true Alien fan this game will definitely not disappoint. Visually beautiful and clean, ambience tense and music / sound very fitting re the setting. Yes, the campaign is scripted at times but in my opinion necessary in order to create tension and to nudge you in the right direction to ensure campaign progress.Lets face it, different strokes for different folks meaning, If you are a true Alien fan this game will definitely not disappoint. Visually beautiful and clean, ambience tense and music / sound very fitting re the setting. Yes, the campaign is scripted at times but in my opinion necessary in order to create tension and to nudge you in the right direction to ensure campaign progress.

That said, enough freedom is provided to either backtrack or explore once you have obtained the necessary tools to unlock sections already covered. Doing this could be advantageous and recommended.

Various game modes are also provided placing you right in the action should it feel if the story is dragging a bit.

If you're expecting a "Hudson pulse rifle panic spray fest" experience as with colonial marines, this might not be the successor you are looking for.
  99. Oct 12, 2014
    Best horror game by far. It's so beautiful and doesn't need the generic horror gore to scare you. "Oh no a decapitated head...oh no intestines..." Nope. A pure good time with sheer terror of every footstep you make. I would like to make two points:

Why this game deserves a 9: It's a game that's made to be played on hard mode, punishing your every mistake. That being said, they are extremely lenient on crouching. Crouching almost makes you invisible. I had plenty of times where an alien couldn't see me down the hall simply because I was crouched. I had many other times where I could just run around a table in circles and the alien would never find me.

Why people score poor on this game: It's hard. People who get frustrated score poorly. It's a trial and error game. If you want to survive better try laying down some traps to run to in case you mess up. And for all of you complaining that the Alien is too big and walks around...get over it. It's a way better idea in a horror game. Just the sheer heavy terror in the alien's footsteps tells you so many things about the creature you are trying to elude. He's not meant to be messed with.
  100. Oct 23, 2014
    I am in love with this game, I think it is a great game in its self. The graphics are AMAZING, the models of the Alien and the people look beautiful, the game play is brilliant and the story line is perfect as you are playing as Amanda Ripley. The down side to this game is the AI !!! The Alien is a bit stupid and the people I can walk in front of them and they won't see me. Also, the gameI am in love with this game, I think it is a great game in its self. The graphics are AMAZING, the models of the Alien and the people look beautiful, the game play is brilliant and the story line is perfect as you are playing as Amanda Ripley. The down side to this game is the AI !!! The Alien is a bit stupid and the people I can walk in front of them and they won't see me. Also, the game is a little bit to long for my taste! Needs to be a little shorter, but the story line is perfect the way it is. I give Alien: Isolation a 8/10 Expand

1. CD-Action
    Dec 13, 2014
    This game makes you crawl like a goddamn worm, in constant fear of being squashed. I was scared to leave the closet I was hiding in, because the monster was somewhere out there. [Dec 2014, p.68]
  2. Nov 25, 2014
    The Creative Assembly’s game, however, is cooked; left to boil so long it loses all flavor and texture. For 10 hours, Isolation is one of the best horror games ever made, until a second, poorly made game bursts out of its heart.
  3. Pelit (Finland)
    Nov 15, 2014
    Alien Isolation can be frustratingly difficult at times, but nevertheless it’s easily the best game in the Alien franchise since the original Aliens vs Predator. The fact that the game mimics perfectly the 1970s look and sci fi stylings of Ridley Scott’s Alien film makes the experience even more endearing. By featuring absurd number of “surprise” twists, Alien Isolation’s final act could’ve used some trimming. [Nov 2014]