8.5

Generally favorable reviews- based on 1933 Ratings

1. Oct 24, 2020
    This is definitely the scariest game i have ever played. The environment, the graphics, the sound effects, the lightening everything is done to perfection. The alien AI is absolutely mind blowing abeit unsettling. Being a fan of alien franchise it is such a joy to see how impeccably this game manages to capture the whole aesthetics of it. This is without a doubt one of the best horror gameThis is definitely the scariest game i have ever played. The environment, the graphics, the sound effects, the lightening everything is done to perfection. The alien AI is absolutely mind blowing abeit unsettling. Being a fan of alien franchise it is such a joy to see how impeccably this game manages to capture the whole aesthetics of it. This is without a doubt one of the best horror game ever made. Expand
  2. Oct 20, 2020
    This game perfectly encapsulates the essence of the first alien film, almost better than the original itself.

Must play for anyone into horror, fps or the original franchise.
  3. Oct 19, 2020
    When I first saw this game I tough: "wow this could be good", and the first 2 hours were immersive and fun to play. Later, as you proceed in the game, you realize that the game doesn't respect your thinking, the AI of the alien just spawns sometimes in front of you or stabs you from the back. A lot of dying is not a problem, problem is that it is not well connected to the save system soWhen I first saw this game I tough: "wow this could be good", and the first 2 hours were immersive and fun to play. Later, as you proceed in the game, you realize that the game doesn't respect your thinking, the AI of the alien just spawns sometimes in front of you or stabs you from the back. A lot of dying is not a problem, problem is that it is not well connected to the save system so you have to repeat the same stuff over and over again. In the game, you have the device which can track alien, and that is your biggest protection, but the device is so stupid, you can track his movement but 20 seconds later all that info you have about him doesn't matter, he will just spawn wherever you are. This game would be great if the tracking device had more meaning and a bigger area of tracking info (in the game it is really, really small) so you could use that information instead of hiding all the time. Expand
  4. Sep 10, 2020
    I am a little late in playing this game and I am going to get straight to the point. So far I am really enjoying it and I like the fact that my anxiety is pretty much sky-rocketing during my first play-through. The ambiance feels very authentic and stays true to alien universe from the first two movies. The reason why I am only giving this an 8 out of 10 is because there is no multiplayerI am a little late in playing this game and I am going to get straight to the point. So far I am really enjoying it and I like the fact that my anxiety is pretty much sky-rocketing during my first play-through. The ambiance feels very authentic and stays true to alien universe from the first two movies. The reason why I am only giving this an 8 out of 10 is because there is no multiplayer mode available which I think was a missed opportunity! It would have been fun to have another 2-4 players working together to get from point A to point B while being hunted and picked off by the alien! Expand
  5. Sep 7, 2020
    Good game but the controls are absolute sh!t. The hit box is terrible and damn near impossible to pick up items. Assures me that FPS games just aren't that great. I get what Creative Assembly were trying to do by creating a scary and dark atmosphere, which they achieved but they have to do better. It's either Creative Assembly's fault with the controls or Xbox. You decide. The game is alsoGood game but the controls are absolute sh!t. The hit box is terrible and damn near impossible to pick up items. Assures me that FPS games just aren't that great. I get what Creative Assembly were trying to do by creating a scary and dark atmosphere, which they achieved but they have to do better. It's either Creative Assembly's fault with the controls or Xbox. You decide. The game is also way too long and I feel the mission become redundant by the 5th mission. I get they're trying to give the player the full experience but I can see the clear difference between this and an RE game so far as replayability. A 10 hour first run should be enough. They definitely want the player to not revisit the game with gameplay cutscenes and long drawn out missions. Overall, it's a good game and the ending is pretty phenomenal but hopefully when they remake this game, they can work on the areas that need improvements. Expand
  6. Jul 29, 2020
    A relatively solid space horror game that does not bring shame to the original movie franchise. Unfortunately, despite wanting to give this game a higher score, I was not able to do so due to the lack of a "wow factor" to the game, some unnecessarily difficult parts, and an incredibly cheap ending. The story and dialogue is rather scripted, the underlying gameplay is repetitive, the aliensA relatively solid space horror game that does not bring shame to the original movie franchise. Unfortunately, despite wanting to give this game a higher score, I was not able to do so due to the lack of a "wow factor" to the game, some unnecessarily difficult parts, and an incredibly cheap ending. The story and dialogue is rather scripted, the underlying gameplay is repetitive, the aliens aren't all that scary, and you never once feel an emotional attachment with the protagonist. However...

Don't let the first paragraph dissuade you from playing. The AI is good enough to provide a challenge that you cannot Rambo through, although it is a bit primitive and possible to cheat once you understand how it works. The game forces you to be patient and play smart in order to avoid detection, and there is a lot of freedom for you to choose how you want to approach the game with many tools at your disposal. This game is focused on stealth, so if you were expecting an FPS, you're looking in the wrong place.

The save points could have been placed more reasonably, since there are lengthy sections in the game where it is easy to get cornered and then have to reload your save, losing every bit of progress up until that point. The rubber band AI of the alien also makes it difficult to achieve meaningful progress at times, since it constantly spawns near you. Plus, the alien seems to have a hard lock on you, seemingly disregarding any other people in the game just to hunt you down. Shooting itself is pretty pointless as well since the moment you fire a single shot, the alien will hear and kill you instantly.

I think, above all else, the biggest peeve I have about this game is that the core gameplay boils down to sneaking your way to one end of a map to fetch or activate something, and then often times having to backtrack to where you came from. The bulk of the game recycles this over and over, and what would theoretically be a quick game ends up being slowed by necessity due to the presence of an alien that forces you to be stealthy.

Overall, I'm not sure what magic the devs used, but this game never bored me even though there wasn't much in the way of story or gameplay. I feel that a score of 7 is fair due to having missed opportunities in an otherwise promising game. The game is optimized and runs great on modern PCs (although anti-aliasing is non-existent), and it has never crashed on me once. I'd say that it's worth a play if you can get it for cheap ($10-15 or less would be reasonable now).
  7. Jul 24, 2020
    this is how an 'alien' game should be. Creative Assembly did a great job with this game. Hoping that they develop more 'Alien' game in the future.
  8. Jul 18, 2020
    A great survival horror. The atmosphere of the game is outstanding, and game play is challenging yet fun. Well worth playing for fans of atmospheric and haunting games. Only frustrating at times was the save system but you can get past that.
  9. Jul 11, 2020
    Самая лучшая и жаль что последняя часть моей любимой вселенной. Очень качественно проработали сюжет, звук, освещение, геймлей вообще за гранью понимания как для игры 2014 года, смотрится просто офигительно даже в 2020 и это тот случай, когда графика игры будет наверное еще лет 20 хорошей. В этой игре про ксеноморфов идеально все, ну кроме моментов ,если вы не любите по стелсу проходить, аСамая лучшая и жаль что последняя часть моей любимой вселенной. Очень качественно проработали сюжет, звук, освещение, геймлей вообще за гранью понимания как для игры 2014 года, смотрится просто офигительно даже в 2020 и это тот случай, когда графика игры будет наверное еще лет 20 хорошей. В этой игре про ксеноморфов идеально все, ну кроме моментов ,если вы не любите по стелсу проходить, а игра отбирает у вас оружие, прошел и так и так, получил кучю эмоций, всем советую, а за скидку в 95% разработчикам спасибо, не что бы я без нее не купил, но это все равно очень приятно. Expand
  10. Jul 8, 2020
    Nothing special. The beginning is really slow also this is not something for chilling or action.
  11. Jul 6, 2020
    Highly recommended, I have not been this scared while playing a game in a long time, it is definitely not for the faint of heart! For a game that came out in 2014, it looks visually stunning on the highest detail setting, which really helps with improving the atmosphere even further. It can get a bit frustrating at times when you have to repeat progress from the latest save point. IHighly recommended, I have not been this scared while playing a game in a long time, it is definitely not for the faint of heart! For a game that came out in 2014, it looks visually stunning on the highest detail setting, which really helps with improving the atmosphere even further. It can get a bit frustrating at times when you have to repeat progress from the latest save point. I decided to tune the difficulty down to medium after a while, which made it more enjoyable in this regard. I did not have a problem with the game length, it took me about 14 hours to finish with some optional content done, but not all. This might be a side effect of the medium difficulty. Also, I recommend giving the first two Alien movies a watch because it will make you appreciate all the little details in the game a lot more. Expand
  12. Jun 26, 2020
    Estar tanto tiempo huyendo del alien llega a cansar, pero lo demás está muy bien.
  13. Jun 22, 2020
    Perhaps the best horror game I have played, almost everything is successful, the atmosphere, the gameplay, the Alien. The only flaws that I see at the limit is the repetition of the quests and the lack of rhythm but otherwise this game was a pleasure from start to finish. I recommend it to all fans of horror games.
  14. May 27, 2020
    awesome game- great game - amazing game - so scary - i bet u if u can play it with sounds
  15. May 26, 2020
    GRAPHICS: Beautiful
    STORY: Well written
    FUN: The kind of fun you'll remember
    PRICE: Could be cheaper
    WORTH BUYING: Wait for a sale
    OVERALL SCORE: 8/10
  16. May 22, 2020
    a masterpiece. Alien isolation is one the best games ever made and i hope we'll get a sequel someday
  17. May 12, 2020
    Let's start with the good.
    -The game is visually appealing.
    The environment is incredibly detailed and looks amazing especially when you out outside in SPACE everything looks really good even the same hallways that you pass a hundred times look great. I love the retro styled computers/techs and the game is really well optimized I only got a stutter once in the entire game. -Hallelujah
    Let's start with the good.
    -The game is visually appealing.
    -Hallelujah to the sound god.
    The sound in the game was one of the best **** my crappy ears have ever heard and listened to.
    The game pays close attention to the sound in the environment and every beep and noise can potentially show your location. And don't get me started on the soundtrack boyyyyy those were some amazing scores that got your heart pumping when they had to and let your heart relax when it had to.Overall loved the sound design and track of this game.Voice acting was also top notch.
    Now it's time for the Meh
    -Story and characters were your boring and samey as everywhere else.
    Don't get me wrong I liked the character we were playing as (RIpey was it?)but she wasn't that interesting for me and she seemed like every other action/horror main character you can find everywhere.The other cast was also pretty alright from all the characters I only enjoyed like 1-2 which were really well written characters.The story was pretty average with an OK ending.To be Fair I would've probably enjoyed the story even more if I remember any of the Alien's movie's which I barely don't.
    The pacing was also an incredible hassle.The story kept getting derailed every single **** time.
    Oooh look you almost got to the objective where you had to go. LOL NOPE time to take a detour because some jackass put his penis on an power generator and now you need to walk all the way back to remove the penis and start the generator again.Tedious pacing which kinda ruined some parts of the game for me.
    -Gameplay (The artificial length extension)
    At first the gameplay was pretty fun and exciting I gotta admit.Salvaging and saving up your resources just for the right moment was really fun. Hiding from the enemies and the object interactions were not bad and there were some times where my heart was skipping so fast when trying to Save in an area that is full with hostiles.The problem with the gameplay was that it kept getting Artificially Extended as I like to put it. Oooh look you have to go back to the same place just because you need an upgrade to this or now you need to wait for the elevator to come down and then go up.The Space Walks were visually appealing but the pace of the walk made them incredibly tedious. The constant button pressing and interacting with computers and objects was hell after the first 2 hours.The Androids were there just to fill the empty space and they got tiring really fast. The weapons were all pretty good but at the middle of the game you didn't need to try to save up resources because they were everywhere which removed most of the danger this game had to offer.No idea why they had to extend the game by making it an incredibly tedious chore to get from point A to point B.

Verdict:Good game with incredibly visuals and sounds with an alright story and Ok characters with some parts exciting gameplay and most parts boring and tedious office type gameplay. 8/10
  18. May 9, 2020
    The game is a must play if you like the alien franchise. The gameplay is intense.
  19. May 2, 2020
    I really tried to play this game, it's gorgeous, the mood is absolutely fantastic. It can really be a terror experience sometimes which is awesome. The latest part of the game is absolute crap, it's the typical scenario where everything goes wrong and your character is a god. Really bad script at the end of the game, which is unfortunate. At the beginning I was loving it, but the curveI really tried to play this game, it's gorgeous, the mood is absolutely fantastic. It can really be a terror experience sometimes which is awesome. The latest part of the game is absolute crap, it's the typical scenario where everything goes wrong and your character is a god. Really bad script at the end of the game, which is unfortunate. At the beginning I was loving it, but the curve kept going down. I felt that most of the gadgets and weapons were dispensable, only 3 to 4 weapons were worth using it, they could have gone more strategic options. The alien AI was a bit off, he was always around your areas despite one not doing any sound. Too forced.
    Cool game though.
  20. Apr 30, 2020
    Surprisingly well done survival horror game, very faithful to the source material and it stays very consistent, apart from some repetitive objectives midway through the journey, definitely recommended to alien fans and all horror game fans.
  21. Apr 28, 2020
    GREAT GAME
    Just great....
    Everyone should try this game to have an unforgettable experience.
  22. Apr 20, 2020
    What can someone tell about this game?? It is absolutely FANTASTIC!!!! I play games from 7 years old....from C64,Amiga,Spectrum,Amstrad etc.....this is definitely the best game I have ever played!! The atmosphere, the suspence, the music, the graphics, the AI of the Alien, everything!!! And it a very long and satisfying game!!! Please Creative Assembly, bring on Alien Isolation 2!!!
  23. Apr 15, 2020
    Не помню игр страшнее. Готовьтесь отложить кирпичную фабрику. А еще все очень стильно оформлено.
  24. Apr 8, 2020
    El mejor juego de la saga Alien que he jugado en mi vida. Una obra maestra imprescindible para los amantes de la saga.

- Graficamente se ve espectacular, la adaptación artística de las películas es increiblemente fiel y además, el juego funciona de maravilla incluso en sistemas poco potentes. Perfecto. - El apartado sonoro también es extraordinario, no solo es muy bueno, sino que

- El apartado sonoro también es extraordinario, no solo es muy bueno, sino que además conserva y adapta la banda sonora de las peliculas. Un trabajo Excelente.
    - La historia es realmente excelente, podría pasar perfectamente como un guíon de una película de Hollywood y funcionar como película canónica de la saga. Sus personajes son creibles y desarrollados, la trama y el desarrollo de la história te atrapa y es muy inmersiva. Perfecto.
    - La jugabilidad será el punto que quizá no guste a todo el mundo. Este juego es un Survival Horror, no un juego de acción y disparos. La jugabilidad esta basada en el sigilo y en pasar desapercibido de los enemigos, lo cual crea un elemento de tensión que le viene estupendo al juego. Para mi gusto es excelente.

Sin ninguna duda, Creative Assembly y Sega han hecho un trabajo excelente con este juego, ojalá saquen una secuela con el nivel de calidad que ha tenido esta entrega.
  25. Mar 24, 2020
    One of the best games in the "Alien" franchise. The atmosphere is great, music is fricking unnerving, story and gameplay are... WOW, but there were some glitches Also I found a glitch on Survivor Mode [Only on Xbox 360, yea I have two same games on the different platforms] that if you went to vent with escaping Xenomorph, it would kill you without death animation [It was LAGGY], butOne of the best games in the "Alien" franchise. The atmosphere is great, music is fricking unnerving, story and gameplay are... WOW, but there were some glitches Also I found a glitch on Survivor Mode [Only on Xbox 360, yea I have two same games on the different platforms] that if you went to vent with escaping Xenomorph, it would kill you without death animation [It was LAGGY], but instead of being dead, you still alive. Overall this is a great survival-horror game. Expand
  26. Mar 22, 2020
    хочется иногда вернуться и обосраться. жду продолжение
  27. Mar 12, 2020
    This game is really atmospheric. I liked the exciting and scary moments of this game. I played the main story and all DLCs of this game. I strongly advise it. 38hrs on record.
  28. Mar 10, 2020
    A 2020 Review - Alien: Isolation (PC, 2014)

Score: 7/10 Mediocrity Score: Not Mediocre Alien: Isolation is a death-by-alien simulator masquerading as a first-person survival horror game. Dripping with late-1970s tech-ambiance, Creative Assembly has produced a rather safe narrative that closely follows the original Alien's tale of Ellen Ripley. Not falling far from the tree, the
    A 2020 Review - Alien: Isolation (PC, 2014)

Score: 7/10
    Mediocrity Score: Not Mediocre

Alien: Isolation is a death-by-alien simulator masquerading as a first-person survival horror game. Dripping with late-1970s tech-ambiance, Creative Assembly has produced a rather safe narrative that closely follows the original Alien's tale of Ellen Ripley. Not falling far from the tree, the protagonist you play is none other than Amanda Ripley - Ellen Ripley's daughter. In what must feel like the family curse, Amanda is stricken with a far-too-similar fate being stuck on a space station trying to survive against aliens. If you aren't a fan of the series or haven't seen any of the movies - don't sweat it. Just bring an extra pair of underwear and dive into this insanely atmospheric and engrossing experience.

Quick Take: Alien: Isolated is not fun. It is not an enjoyable experience by traditional standards, but it is a horrifically beautiful and a completely immersive one. Kotaku's Kirk Hamilton said it better than anyone else, "While many a video game has been designed for people who enjoy killing aliens, Alien: Isolation can only have been created for people who derive some perverse pleasure out of being killed by an alien." This game in its purest form is an engrossing simulation of how it would feel to try your odds against the alien xenomorphs in a bout of survival. Your odds are very slim. Between the sound engineering and the visual design, the two complement each other like two peas in a pod or...two facehuggers in an egg-sack, if you prefer. Together the two bring about an utter sense of dread, panic, and stress. You can hear the alien scampering through the ventilation; you can see its slimy drool ooze down in wait. You can hear the rich pops and sizzles of the CRT screens and analog devices used throughout the game. From opening production credits to end-game credits, it's a technical marvel...but is it an entertaining one? Well, that's where things get complicated... That's where I begin to feel the ol' quote "I want to get off Mr. Bones Wild Ride" becomes relevant again. At 16 hours in, I decided that's all the thrill I'll be getting out of that ride. Are you ever 100% glad you did or tried something, but wouldn't ever do it again? I appreciate Alien: Isolation for having done so much, so right - but I can't say I enjoyed or had fun playing it. It's stressful. I'm a huge horror film buff, yet this is a much longer and interactive experience - one that did not give me that "just 5 more minutes" feeling. It was more of a "where the hell's the savegame telephone at?"

Pros:
    - Scarier than I expected. Panic-inducing experience, as designed.
    - Completely engrossing experience thanks to the top-notch audio and visual quality.
    - Alien AI is something to behold. Something other developers should aspire to accomplish.
    - Great map design and setting. The rough state of things on the Sevastopol station really add to the effectiveness of the game's darker, more dreadful tones.

Cons:
    - Boilerplate story that does its best to imitate its original source rather than set itself apart more meaningfully. Doesn't hold together the weaker points of gameplay, but sags down with them.
    - Second half of the game becomes incredibly tiring and tedious when managing your alien woes mixed with having to frequently backtrack the map in order to accomplish new goals.
    - The feeling of powerlessness and stress become exhausting. The trial-and-error quality to survival leaves me feeling like I've wasted a lot of time.
    - No replayability.

Concept: You're Ellen Ripley's unlucky daughter, Amanda - who also finds herself face to face with the same alien species that cost her mother's life. In a fight for survival, will you lead Amanda to her victory or just die 1,000 times trying? Yes. The answer is, yes.

Graphics: Impressive. Certainly so by 2014's standards but even for 2020 standards, this offers a high bar to pass. Compliments the audio design incredibly well - both pairing together to reel you into the space-station, Sevastopol, along with all its horrors.

Sound: It breathes life into nothingness and fills the space with dread. Hearing the alien bang around the ship or scamper about in the ventilation is disturbing when you've been hiding in a locker for ten minutes contemplating what actions led you to this awful place.

Entertainment: Did you like the movies Source Code or Edge of Tomorrow? Then you'll enjoy experiencing it first-hand in an interactive simulator game, only with Aliens and Facehuggers. I found Alien: Isolation to be akin to a thrill-ride. A lot of fun in short bursts, but it is not something most people would enjoy for long stretches.

Replayability: How enjoyable is revisiting the same haunted house over and over again? Sure, the actors will always do things a little differently but it's always the same song and dance in the end. For me, it does not have replay value.
  29. Mar 9, 2020
    Игра многообещающая была для меня, но в итоге проходится нудновато. Возможно если бы я её проходил несколько лет назад, впечатления были бы другие, но это не факт. Собственно графику опускаем и не берем во вникание, она там для своего времени нормальная. Но вот текстуры не впечатлили, корабль какой-то идентичный, все вокруг до финальных титров не меняется, бегаем по внешне одинаковымИгра многообещающая была для меня, но в итоге проходится нудновато. Возможно если бы я её проходил несколько лет назад, впечатления были бы другие, но это не факт. Собственно графику опускаем и не берем во вникание, она там для своего времени нормальная. Но вот текстуры не впечатлили, корабль какой-то идентичный, все вокруг до финальных титров не меняется, бегаем по внешне одинаковым комнатам, прячемся от монстра, истребляем андройдов, которые по непонятным мне причинам стали вражески настроены, в конце умираем и умирают все. Титры. Ну такое себе... 7/10, атмосфера для хоррора не тянет Expand
  30. Feb 11, 2020
    Its such an amazing game on its own and for the fans of Alien even more. But it has a lot of backtracking and the android levels are meh.
  31. Dec 29, 2019
    Alien Isolation is the best horror game I've played since the early Resident Evil titles. It has everything from unsettling silence; hiding while fearing for your life; running for your life; jump scares; fear from different threats such as the slow patrolling packs of men, unrelenting machines, and the often clever alien. Its an incredibly long game for a triple-A story-based title (aboutAlien Isolation is the best horror game I've played since the early Resident Evil titles. It has everything from unsettling silence; hiding while fearing for your life; running for your life; jump scares; fear from different threats such as the slow patrolling packs of men, unrelenting machines, and the often clever alien. Its an incredibly long game for a triple-A story-based title (about 25 hours compared to the usual 8-15), and while I don't necessarily see that as a good thing, its not nearly taxing. In fact, since there are basically no Triple-A games that do the 'hiding from intelligent hunter' mechanic,especially from a single AI hunter, the gameplay length is definitely welcome.

However, the story rarely has any context or complexity, and the actual ending is precipitated by one tease after another. The exit is usually completely obliterated right before you get to the end anti-climatic and invoke Murphy's Law in an almost comical way. It's like, your ID card needs to be refiled, or a ventilation shaft connecting to your escape ship needs to be repaired.

The final ending scene is horribly uneventful, makes no real sense, and is just there for a sequel placeholder. Despite the fact that I enjoyed the gameplay, I'd rather not have a repeat of this very long and repetitive game. In any case, the ending is so poorly thought out that most of it is done with TWO-DIMENSIONAL ANIMATION. What? The rest of the game used 3D cutscenes. They must have run out of budget by the 24th time your escape didn't work out.

The gameplay was good, the set design is very Alien franchise, but don't expect much from the story beyond some filler logs.
  32. Nov 29, 2019
    This game is really amazing! I cannot believe it was not successful financially and won't be continued. One of the best I've ever played. The atmosphere if unbelievable!
  33. Nov 24, 2019
    Playing this through for the first time now ... and I'm mighty impressed. The game looks stunning and faithfully captures the unmistakable look and style of Ridely Scott's seminal movie. The gameplay mechanics are simple but very thoughtfully designed and implemented. It's super slick! I can't recommend this enough to fans of sci-fi, horror and just damn good games.
  34. Nov 18, 2019
    Alien game which we all waited for so long.
    One of the best survival/horror type of game I ever played.
    Very challenging with outstanding atmosphere and visuals.
  35. Nov 3, 2019
    One of the best horror games I played in a couple of years. It perfectly builds the tension without the use of annoying jump scares. The story is great tie-in for the original Alien movie and plays on Alien franchise tropes, sometimes subverting them. In terms of gameplay, the cat and mouse game with the titular alien is neatly done. It does not grow stale - the monster can surprise youOne of the best horror games I played in a couple of years. It perfectly builds the tension without the use of annoying jump scares. The story is great tie-in for the original Alien movie and plays on Alien franchise tropes, sometimes subverting them. In terms of gameplay, the cat and mouse game with the titular alien is neatly done. It does not grow stale - the monster can surprise you with new tricks as the story develops. Human and synthetic enemies offer a nice variance to the gameplay, and blasting those damn synths to smithereens with your bolt gun or luring the alien to kill a bunch of bandits is a great power fantasy moment. The game also handles backtracking nicely, and you actually feel good about knowing the layout of the station, because it gives you a big edge. Visuals and sound effects are amazing and contribute highly to the atmospheric experience. The music track contributes heavily to the tension and keeps you constantly on edge. I won't give the game a perfect 10 because I had some minor bugs, mostly when trying to enter ventilation ducts. All in all, I highly recommend this game for both Alien fans and horror game enthusiasts. Expand
  36. Oct 27, 2019
    Очень хорошо визуально, великолепно в части звука, для фанатов фильмов - просто обняться и плакать от счастья. Технически работает идеально, сюжет - ожидаемый, но хороший. Чужой пугает, очень пугает. Загадки логичные, враги представляют опасность, про чужого вообще молчу. Обязательно к покупке всем. И хоть игра и не чистый хоррор, но за счет звука, свойств врагов - ночью играть не советую,Очень хорошо визуально, великолепно в части звука, для фанатов фильмов - просто обняться и плакать от счастья. Технически работает идеально, сюжет - ожидаемый, но хороший. Чужой пугает, очень пугает. Загадки логичные, враги представляют опасность, про чужого вообще молчу. Обязательно к покупке всем. И хоть игра и не чистый хоррор, но за счет звука, свойств врагов - ночью играть не советую, игра дико атмосферная, ужаса нагонит полные штаны Expand
  37. Oct 26, 2019
    This game is soo good , even now 2019, I have a lot of fun playing this game. Words of respect and recognition for the studio that created this game. It's been a long time since I played such a great game. A game that to this day shines among the shoddy new productions that lack everything that makes the game great.
  38. Feb 7, 2019
    I gave this game a 4 because I couldn't force myself through it. Don't get me wrong, I can see it's a good game BUT with my tastes I just can't empathize. I've played through all the team silent silent hill games. I've played the RE2 remake, RE7 on madhouse, haunting grounds and the metro series among many other horror games. Never in my life have I ever felt like a game takes offense toI gave this game a 4 because I couldn't force myself through it. Don't get me wrong, I can see it's a good game BUT with my tastes I just can't empathize. I've played through all the team silent silent hill games. I've played the RE2 remake, RE7 on madhouse, haunting grounds and the metro series among many other horror games. Never in my life have I ever felt like a game takes offense to my decisions. I'm ok with an indestructible foe trotting around. But when it feels like the game really hates me, it's the point I just take the hint and leave.

So ammo is scarce, so far so good. We have enemies we can stealth around or we can murder with our handgun and we can even outrun by walking. I can even understand landing hits being a difficult job. But why, in the name of H.R. Giger's uncle who is the source of the xenomorph design, does the enemy literally warp me next to it so it can grab my hand when I try to swing? That was, honestly, the point I decided to give up. It's plain stupid, honestly.

Besides that, I could understand a crafting system being implemented for the sake of choice and variety, since the alien "learns" your tricks and starts to ignore them (leaving aside the fact that a revelation later on invalidates the whole "AI learning" thing). But then the system is completely randomized, giving you components with no rhyme or reason. You could be having a terrible time, but it won't give you stuff to craft noisemakers or health packs but then you could be doing just peachy and it gives you enough ammo to take on a whole DOOM level. Honestly just designing the areas' drops and making them fixed would make the whole game a lot more palatable, since it would give you a hint on what to get ready for.

At the end of the day, the game is still gorgeous, atmospheric and really challenging. But if you, like me, don't enjoy token combat in your games and want them either committed to letting you blast most of the baddies (with varying degrees of difficulty) or just take your weapons away (or make it clear you're not supposed to fight the enemies whatsoever, like making them all literally invincible but then why give you the guns, eh?) then you might not enjoy this one as much.
  39. Jan 23, 2019
    Basically the best Alien game so far. An instant classic. You can notice the love for the franchise that people of Creative Assembly have on every detail across the game. Just play it now!
  40. Jan 6, 2019
    This game has problems, like any other one, but back in 2014 the survival horror genre was lost in the wind, this came after P.T but it was in development long before. I really think this games deserves as much credit as pt gets. The horror in this game is present and the whole atmosphere SCREAMS (no pun intended) the first ridley scott movie. Maybe the Alien A.i is op at times and theThis game has problems, like any other one, but back in 2014 the survival horror genre was lost in the wind, this came after P.T but it was in development long before. I really think this games deserves as much credit as pt gets. The horror in this game is present and the whole atmosphere SCREAMS (no pun intended) the first ridley scott movie. Maybe the Alien A.i is op at times and the game feels padded towards the end but this is still to me one of the best in the genre. Expand
  41. Nov 25, 2018
    Here is a terror game that I´ve never seen before ! Great game and one of my favorites.
  42. Oct 22, 2018
    +Superb use of the license
    +Excellent 'metroidvania' level design
    +Fantastic soundscape / use of licensed soundtrack
    +Great depth of content
    +Story is surprisingly well told for a licensed game
    -Much repetition found in puzzles
    -Alien 'ai' follows you too closely at times breaking the illusion (of it having free roam of a gigantic spacestation)
  43. Sep 28, 2018
    Alien: Isolation is a game that became a game of torture and dreadfulness (as you trying to stop a really hard to be killing machine from biting your frontal lobe all the way to the sensory strip [oh and it'll eat much more than your brain). It sparked up in 2014 and was played by many new and old Alien fans. I first saw game-play of this game back in 2015, but to me it just looked likeAlien: Isolation is a game that became a game of torture and dreadfulness (as you trying to stop a really hard to be killing machine from biting your frontal lobe all the way to the sensory strip [oh and it'll eat much more than your brain). It sparked up in 2014 and was played by many new and old Alien fans. I first saw game-play of this game back in 2015, but to me it just looked like some complex sci-fi game that wouldn't bestow any major threat. Boy was i wrong. Jump to spring 2018, and there I was buying the game with a bought $20 Steam gift card. The game's originally like $39.99 but I got it during the Alien:Isolation sale. I could have bought the DLC's that were also on sale but I didn't want to buy too much because I mainly bought the game to see if I would become intrigued. I wasn't into Alien, but I knew what the xenomorph was. The beginning of the game was something of a decent story. A ship of 5 sets out to find something they all seek, Amanda's being to get the nostromo flight recorder. On the way to retrieve the recorder, the people on board the 5 boarded ship (torrens) notice that the station (sevastopol) holding the recorder was damaged and so was the parking bay to park the torrens. Amanda, and two other comrades, Taylor, and Samuels head toward sevastopol in space but are separated onto the station after a huge explosion. Thus begins the game's true face of horror. The first few enemies are just standard humans and some small yet memorable run-ins with the alien and then robots, AND THEN come's the xenomorph's might of murder towards Amanda Ripley. That's what most of the rest of the game is:Amanda's attempt to find Samuels and Taylor while also attempting to escape the station as humans, droids (Working Joes), and above all the Xenomorph attempt to kill Ripley. But the people that made the AI and sound and feel production did the greatest at making the game a realistic horror. The fact that just one Alien can scare me so much makes so surprised and intrigued. The game even has throwbacks to the original Alien which I had to learn off of the internet. Thanks Internet! :)
    Also just a short little thing so you can see who hates who if you ever wonder.
    Enemy Survivors will fight against Working Joes, Allies, and the Xenomorph
    Allies will fight against Working Joes, Enemy Survivors, and the Xenomorph
    Working Joes will fight against Allies, and Enemy Survivors
    Xenomorph(s) will fight against Allies, and Enemy Survivors

***** S P O I L E R S*****

If you've never ever played or watched this game and you want to know what happens to each character, they all have pretty sad endings, but they're done so well that I always let them pass even though they're so sad.
  44. Sep 26, 2018
    First off, I liked the visuals, the atmosphere and the music. Well, that doesn't come as a surprise since all of it is from the original movie. What is left though is a middling stealth game.

In my opinion a good stealth game needs to have room for improvisation and at least two different ways of clearing an area. But Alien Isolation feels too linear and half of the gadgets you tinker with are useless or very samey. Which means they don't specifically change the style of playing, it's a very one-road approach to gameplay, that's why it gets stale after a few hours. You can't pit enemies at each other, you always have the same two options: evade or confront. A lot of other stealth games had a better way of manipulating your environment, so this game feels very dated in it's limited abilities.

I like that they take time to show the Alien for the first time. But once they do, boy do they use it in the same way over and over. It always has that same upstanding walk which looks sometimes too human and less frightening, there should be more variety or maybe slow wall-crawling. Even the mediocre AVP games had more creativity in that regard. They never do something with the camouflage ability of the Alien, instead they rely on jump-scare tactics and the alien doing it's round like usual. It also mises a vague estimation of how good you're hidden from the Alien, sometimes hiding under a table is good enough, other times it's not.

Another boring aspect is the amount of locked doors and ways to unlock them. Again, it's there to make you feel like this is gameplay, but it's not. It's just tedious obstacles to stretch the game for a few more minutes. I bought the game on Sale, and I don't say I regret paying 9 bucks, since it still looks gorgeous. But I haven't played the DLC's, although I own all of them, but it's the gameplay that kind of makes me say, "okay I do not really need to play this".
  45. Sep 14, 2018
    Watched from a walkthrough video. The atmosphere of the game is insane. Excellent thriller without lots of jumpscare scenes.
  46. Sep 12, 2018
    this game man... almost a masterpiece.

full of atmosphere and it is the closest thing to the 1979 classic "Alien" (video game or movie), the alien A.I is not your typical A.I that has a certain path he walks to and back, no. here he does whatever he wants and that creates such tension and immersion that is unmatched in the Horror video game genre. you feel helpless. gameplay is
    this game man... almost a masterpiece.

gameplay is unique cause you cannot Kill the Alien. only scare it off. so instead it relies heavily on stealth which is awesome

the Story is great, Voice acting is really top notch, now why is it "almost a masterpiece" you ask? it has 1 set back. pacing. midway through the game the focus shifts to something else (which i liked) but it drags a tiny bit with it.
  47. Sep 10, 2018
    A good looking game with an interesting and atmospheric world, flawed by often repetitive, boring and frustrating gameplay.
  48. Aug 12, 2018
    Alien: Isolation is an extremely gripping and atmospheric game that also has a satisfying, solid story to back it up. The Alien franchise is a perfect franchise to make a survival horror game out of and Creative Assembly has shown that to be true. When compared to Aliens: Colonial Marines, this game is a true palate cleanser.
  49. Aug 6, 2018
    This is a great game ! A must-buy if you love the survival horror genre. Great atmosphere, high tension, difficulty is challenging but not boring. The story is awesome and loyal to the original Alien fiction.
  50. Jul 26, 2018
    Great game, visually extremely well done, with a scary atmosphere, and one of the best sound systems I ever experienced in a game. I played it on Linux, ported by Feral, and runs divinely.
    It just suffers from an important flaw: the save system must get revised. Sometimes you re-play the same subpart of a mission over and over and over, because you cannot progress until you got to the next save station. The game is so well done that it does not need to cheat by trying to raise the suspance just by preventing save games. Or it could do so more smartly, e.g. allowing save games more frequently with the time spent on a mission subpart.
  51. Jul 20, 2018
    Alien: Isolation is the best adaptation of movie in videogame form ever made. It captures atmosphere and visuals of Ridley Scott's Alien perfectly. Retrofuturistic giant spaceship with gloomy corridors and labyrinth of vents, loose apex predator tracing your every step and heartless corporation that is even worse than Alien.

The game itself can be split into two parts: first part that

The game itself can be split into two parts: first part that lasts approx. 8-10 hours and is absolutely brilliant, and the second one which is infinitely worse. I think 10 hours is the limit for a horror title overall, nothing can be scary for more than 10 hours) There are few good moments in those last several hours of the game, but overall they are completely uninteresting.

Still i think that amazing first part of Alien: Isolation is too good to skip that game.
  52. Jun 19, 2018
    Don't worry – it’s scary only until you quit :)
    . . . .
  53. May 23, 2018
    Thanks to this game, I gave the first film - ALIEN 1979 - a chance to make it to the top of my list. The game surprises me with its faithful staging, level design, and sound section. They highlight the moments in which the alien harasses us in any space, they are overwhelming! As for the script, it becomes long and repetitive, making the work of an errand boy after 2 hours of play. AI isThanks to this game, I gave the first film - ALIEN 1979 - a chance to make it to the top of my list. The game surprises me with its faithful staging, level design, and sound section. They highlight the moments in which the alien harasses us in any space, they are overwhelming! As for the script, it becomes long and repetitive, making the work of an errand boy after 2 hours of play. AI is sometimes unfair or random but does not hurt the experience much. Nothing that can't be solved with planning. Give it a try if you're a fan of the saga. Recommended! Expand
  54. May 10, 2018
    В целом именно такого перезапуска и хотелось.
    Это оригинальная идея серии кинофильмов, в ней был скрыт смысл атмосферы, которая рассеялась в шутерах по Чужому.
    Есть претензии к некой заскриптованости ИИ, ведь обещали непредсказуемую тварь, но морф все равно напрягает и расслабится не дает. Покупка себя оправдала на все сто.
    В целом именно такого перезапуска и хотелось.
    Покупка себя оправдала на все сто.
  55. Apr 3, 2018
    Отлично! Лучшая игра в жанре "Хоррор" лично для меня. Надеюсь на продолжение, если появится, куплю обязательно!
  56. Apr 2, 2018
    An amazing game which is the true definition of "Survival Horror" by all means!
    An amazing game which is the true definition of "Survival Horror" by all means!
    First thing that strikes you right in your face is its terrifying atmosphere. Fear in this game is not just about jump scares or even Alien by itself. The sense of surviving with great help of amazing sound effects and great musics and its bizarre level design all together have created something like nightmare that gradually rises the fear level inside your mind until the atmosphere single-handedly scares you to the bones while there is no one even around! Now add immortal Alien and other enemies that they just want to kill you ... well, there is no rest in this game. Fear and exhaustion all the way through.
    The story line and gameplay are also amazing that even through the long gameplay time you don't feel bored.
    An unknown jewel if you ask me!
  57. Mar 29, 2018
    Alien: isolation is one of the best game I ever played. Suggesting Creative Assembly in 2006 for doing this horror game was my great idea. They did magnificent job. If you want to compare it, you have to came back to Aliens vs Predator 2 from 2001. That was kind of scary too. I love the mechanics, graphics, but the very best here is atmosphere and terrifying monsters (even Angry Joes) orAlien: isolation is one of the best game I ever played. Suggesting Creative Assembly in 2006 for doing this horror game was my great idea. They did magnificent job. If you want to compare it, you have to came back to Aliens vs Predator 2 from 2001. That was kind of scary too. I love the mechanics, graphics, but the very best here is atmosphere and terrifying monsters (even Angry Joes) or rather one during the main part of the game. Play it on normal to survive. Hard is really hard. I would love to change only one thing, you cant hurt Alien, not talking about killing it. I do not understand it, but this is the only problem of the game. Next time, make something similar to AvP2 (2001) with much more possibilities and use the enviroment. I hope they will be given the opportunity to do this again! Creative Assembly you did not disappointed me! Thank you. Expand
  58. Oct 27, 2017
    If you want to be in an Alien Movie, this is the game for you.

Great graphics and superb asthetics (it captures flawlessly the looks of the movie). Superb atmosphere. Superb sound desing. Great gameplay. Good story. Great optimization.
  59. Oct 27, 2017
    PROS:
    - Great atmosphere makes Sevastopol seem truly unsafe
    - Solid visual & sound design - Gameplay encourages players to be smart & keeps them on their toes - Smart level design encourages players to backtrack for rewards later in game - Well designed AI always makes sure the player can only succeed by playing smartly; the alien in particular is more threatening due to its
    PROS:
    - Great atmosphere makes Sevastopol seem truly unsafe
    - Solid visual & sound design
    - Gameplay encourages players to be smart & keeps them on their toes
    - Smart level design encourages players to backtrack for rewards later in game
    - Well designed AI always makes sure the player can only succeed by playing smartly; the alien in particular is more threatening due to its unpredictability and the fact that it learns the player's patterns i.e. if you always hide in lockers, it will start looking for you in them

CONS:
    - Overexposure of the alien eventually turns it into something irritating rather than scary
    - Some poor voice work; Ripley's VA in particular had some questionable delivery at times
    - Cliche, unsatisfying ending
    - Can be buggy - suffers from floating object glitches and occasionally loot will bug, making it so that all containers / bodies appear empty
    - Bad hit detection, particularly on heads; once, a shot from my Bolt Gun went straight through a Working Joe's head and hit the enemy directly behind him
    - Long animation times / audio logs are counter intuitive to the stealth based gameplay

OVERALL:
    Despite its faults, Alien Isolation is a more than capable survival horror game that could have benefited from the devs tightening a few loose screws. If you're looking to satisfy a craving for on-edge nervousness that something is always around the corner, Alien Isolation is sure to satisfy.
  60. Oct 24, 2017
    What a game, what a true gaming experience.
    Closest thing? Half way between Outlast and Dead Space, what comes out is a masterpiece. Better than both.
    I'm not a fan of the Alien series but Alien isolation is probably where you want to spend the next 20/25 hrs of gaming time. The Right story,the right atmosphere, the right music, the right character, even the light illumination,
    What a game, what a true gaming experience.
    The Right story,the right atmosphere, the right music, the right character, even the light illumination, everything is brilliant.
    You're hunted by a xenomorph almost all the game, can't do much about it except hiding (and sometimes won't even be enough). You cannot fight him, even if you burn it he will come back after a while.
    There are also androids (quite annoying) and humans (try not to kill them to add difficulty and get an achievement).
    It's not a game for everyone, so I suggest to see some walktrough first, many could not appreciate this but if you call yourself a pc gamer you should play this. A must.

Pros:
    Atmosphere
    Alien
    Scary/Enervating/Devastating
    Ending
    Can be played on a normal/low end pc thanks to one of its cons (see cons)
    And atmosphere, again!

Cons:
    Claustrophobic
    Coul get a bit repititive but is not that long as many says (I finished it in 21hrs)

Oh, MAKE SURE YOU PLAY IT ON HARD MODE YOU BLOODY COWARD

61. Oct 5, 2017
    It's definitely an intense game. It should be played with headphones so you can hear which direction things are coming from. The "working joe" robots are creepy as hell, so that's a surprisingly well done part of the game. It's almost like being in a Jason movie because they walk slowly but are virtually indestructible. They look like someone put a cheaply made rubber skin over aIt's definitely an intense game. It should be played with headphones so you can hear which direction things are coming from. The "working joe" robots are creepy as hell, so that's a surprisingly well done part of the game. It's almost like being in a Jason movie because they walk slowly but are virtually indestructible. They look like someone put a cheaply made rubber skin over a terminator skeleton.

There are also a few mods available if you feel like changing some of the rules. One of them makes the alien completely ignore you, so you can venture around and explore. There is also a mod for unlimited pistol ammo, which is a lot of fun because shooting a gun attracts the alien.

The game loses 1 or 2 points because it crashes often. This happens to a lot of people, and nobody seems to know why it crashes. My computer is not overclocked, all of my drivers are up to date, and this is the only game I have a problem with. This can be enraging because I just spent about 20 minutes wandering around in some unskippable story bullcrap, and then the game crashed right at the end. I need to do that entire space suit thing a second time.
  62. Aug 16, 2017
    One of the best representatives of the horror genre with hide and seek. The plot tightens and does not let go until the last. A Alien is incredibly dangerous and a meeting with him usually ends with your death. Artificial intelligence of others is worked out to the smallest detail, and as a Alien absolutely freely moves along the space station together with you, and all this generates aOne of the best representatives of the horror genre with hide and seek. The plot tightens and does not let go until the last. A Alien is incredibly dangerous and a meeting with him usually ends with your death. Artificial intelligence of others is worked out to the smallest detail, and as a Alien absolutely freely moves along the space station together with you, and all this generates a lot of interesting events and situations. Expand
  63. Aug 4, 2017
    I really disliked this game! The story was sooo dragged out and boring, the only positive of this game is the environment and music, so i will give this a 3/10 for it
  64. Jun 2, 2017
    Amnesia: The Dark Descent was great. It invented the genre. Everything that attempted to emulate it felt trite to the extent that i gave up on the genre. I avoided Alien: Isolation for two and a half years for that reason. The middling reviews confirmed my expectations. After 2 and a half years It was cheap enough in stores to warrant a go (It was the only game on the shelf i hadn'tAmnesia: The Dark Descent was great. It invented the genre. Everything that attempted to emulate it felt trite to the extent that i gave up on the genre. I avoided Alien: Isolation for two and a half years for that reason. The middling reviews confirmed my expectations. After 2 and a half years It was cheap enough in stores to warrant a go (It was the only game on the shelf i hadn't played)

This game gave me the experience you expect from a new console. It felt like Tomb Raider or Resident Evil on PS1. Turok on N64 and Resident Evil 4 on Gamecube. It feels new and exciting. Its genuinely tense. The sound and art design are hollywood level. Beautifully presented. Remember when you bought games because they were unique and fun as opposed to having the quality of being an update or a sequel? This games a reminder of that and I'm so pissed that i allowed external influences to prevent me from playing this. The reviews are mixed because not everyone has the same experience. The a.i makes each playthrough unique. Well done sega. Games like this are the reason you invest in a games console.
  65. May 27, 2017
    it a Very fun and Intense game, a masterpiece for alien lovers. Great graphics and story telling, outstanding sound effects and voice acting. a solid 9/10 for me
  66. Apr 7, 2017
    Super scary! A haunting atmosphere, fantastic sound and awesome graphics that will make you sit at the edge of your seat. Great alien AI makes the enemy unpredictable and the lack of a quick save system really get's your blood pumping as you desperately try to survive long enough to make it to the next save point. The game is really interesting from a psychological standpoint too - you seeSuper scary! A haunting atmosphere, fantastic sound and awesome graphics that will make you sit at the edge of your seat. Great alien AI makes the enemy unpredictable and the lack of a quick save system really get's your blood pumping as you desperately try to survive long enough to make it to the next save point. The game is really interesting from a psychological standpoint too - you see civilization decaying into chaos as the disaster gets more and more desperate, and all that's left is the survival instinct. An incredible immersive game! I highly recommend it. Expand
  67. Mar 17, 2017
    In my opinion. Game Of The Year 2014! :)

Pros: - In all gameplay areas is on a good level of quality (Stealth improving the feeling from games like Outlast, very subtle but tense action, the crafting system similar to games likes The Last of Us and the backtracking, wich is not boring at all). - The game lenght (19 missions = almost "26 hours in Survivor" mode) - You get some weapons
    In my opinion. Game Of The Year 2014! :)

Pros:
    - The game lenght (19 missions = almost "26 hours in Survivor" mode)
    - You get some weapons but you're not overpowered at all.
    - The distribution of enemies and kind of moments during the playthrough. You're always anticipating what's next to deal and getting your mind prepared for a different approach.
    - Is related to the Alien (1979) xeno-universe.
    - A very optimized in-house engine by the people of The Creative Assembly. Is not perfect but I think it makes a great role on all platforms (including last gen). In this PC version DOF, radiosity, ambient occlusion and SSS nice. Particles sprites and bakes looks really nice. Every room or moments deserves an screenshot.
    - The art, the layout they took from original Nostromo and the lighting and feeling of environments. Is not that oppened but is a little step from other too linear games.
    - Sound design, folley and the London Philharmonic Orchestra.
    - Related with the folley, the Alien AI is most of the time interesting and feels different each time.
    - The variety of mini puzzles
    - The scary door haha!
    - SPOILER: The Nest!
    - Amanda Ripley's voice acting
    - Play it with DualShock 4 was great. Most of the actions feels better like the DOF control with one trigger and watching on the corners.
    - And of course. The hardest mode. I almost go back to normal but finally I beat the game slowly. It's very rewarding.

Cons:
    - I wish we could see more NPC's and side quest during the game.
    - Some little pop-up assets between a final and a low poly mesh.
    - The in-house engine works great but Nostromo outside looks bad.
    - Some rigged characters looks robotic.
    - The FMV use in some parts of the game.
    - The face hugger death animation ¬¬ (the cheapest animation in 2014)
    - SPOILER: Samuels artificial life end's too soon :(
    - We have to wait for a second part ;)

Recommendations:
    - Use good headsets ;)
    - Use Dualshock 4 or an Xbox Controller (is not an FPS)
    - DON'T EVER RUN!
    - Learn to craft wisely...some items are not that usefull if you're in a humans / alien / working joe's area.
    - RUN! Against working joes if you get discovered use an EMP Mine or an Stunt Baston and just run! (I don't know how difficult is to kill one in normal but in the "Survival" is a pain the A*s).
    - Flares can be useful. And there's a lot of them.
    - Enjoy the tapes ;) (all of them!)
    - Enjoy the music boomboxes like you enjoyed the rest room in Resident Evil games haha!
    - Keep moving. AI (most of the time) don't let you be that passive.

Alien Isolation es a great game that we didn't expect after the fiasco of Colonial Marines. It's great that games like Amnesia, Outlast or others are creating a new tendence of survival or at least horror games. In my personal opinion Alien Isolation is really refreshing for the AAA consumers ;) A game that should 100% be played to all sci-fi lovers ;)
  68. Feb 17, 2017
    I can't recommend it as it's simply not very fun and by the end I just wanted it to be over so I could say I finished it. I actually finished it quicker than the average and still felt it dragged on. Overall the game is quite repetitive, once you've opened your 100th door using the hacking mini game you will be sick and tired of it. Plus there's just a lot of waiting around and a lot ofI can't recommend it as it's simply not very fun and by the end I just wanted it to be over so I could say I finished it. I actually finished it quicker than the average and still felt it dragged on. Overall the game is quite repetitive, once you've opened your 100th door using the hacking mini game you will be sick and tired of it. Plus there's just a lot of waiting around and a lot of loading screens (I have an SSD so they were fast, but there's still lots of them). I would also like to comment on the heavily compressed, 30fps pre-recorded cut scenes, they are just horrible and laggy, whereas the main gameplay was super smooth at 60fps without a single drop on max settings, this is a common problem with console ports and cut scenes unfortunately.

The voice work, story and visuals were all good but the gameplay was just slow and boring and dragged on, plus there was one very length section that was frankly terrible, after Google'ng the area it's considered by most just an awful experience (not because it's hard, it's just long and dull), it was at this point I almost quit the game entirely. I will also applaud the overall atmosphere as it was good and very scary at times.
  69. Feb 6, 2017
    Alien: Isolation is fantastic. Too bad I overlooked it on launch day. Because Dishonored 2 is irreparably broken, I gave up on it and picked up Isolation. AI is an outstanding homage to the original Alien movie. Everything feels authentic. It's visually one of the most atmospheric games I’ve played. Alien fans will definitely enjoy it. However, the meticulous, thoughtful and occasionallyAlien: Isolation is fantastic. Too bad I overlooked it on launch day. Because Dishonored 2 is irreparably broken, I gave up on it and picked up Isolation. AI is an outstanding homage to the original Alien movie. Everything feels authentic. It's visually one of the most atmospheric games I’ve played. Alien fans will definitely enjoy it. However, the meticulous, thoughtful and occasionally tedious gameplay isn’t for everyone. So COD and Overwatch players need not apply.

AI is gorgeous. It’s has some of the best set pieces I’ve seen in modern games, rivalled only by Metro 2033. The developer Creative Assembly faithfully recreated the lo-fi look of the original Alien. Sound design, lighting, and color contrast are thoughtfully used to create bleak, lonely, terrifying locations. A few missions are pure cinematic experiences which exist solely to immerse players completely in the Alien universe. Creative Assembly’s attention to detail is second to none. For those looking for a true Alien sequel, this is it.

The developers created a new game engine to precisely recreate the Alien universe. This was a huge and costly feat, but the results are stunning. Visually, AI rivals any current title. And the best part, it runs efficiently on most hardware. I maxed out all settings and cranked up supersampling. My GPU hummed along at 60% usage and my aging CPU ran at 70% all the while pushing a steady 60fps at 1080p. The only negative here is the obvious aliasing on certain surfaces. The game settings don’t correct this. Mods are available which effectively suppress jagged lines. I didn’t notice the problem too much.

Gameplay is challenging. AI doesn’t cater to run and gun players. It emphasizes exploration and patience. Supplies are scare, and the protagonist Ripley has limited capacity. So everything must be used sparingly, as if every item were Ripley’s last. In a few instances Ripley is forced to confront baddies. Players who conserved their supplies will fly thru these segments whereas wasteful gamers will struggle. In all other instances, baddies should be avoided. Enemy engagements are high risk, low reward scenarios. Whereas most fps titles stoke power fantasies, AI makes Ripley feel powerless at every turn.

IGN and a few other reviewer hated AI’s enemy intelligence. I don’t understand why. Most stealth games employ sentries with predictable patrols. AI’s dangerous alien actively hunts players. The monster can’t be killed, and mistakes are instantly fatal. With a bit of patience and some trial and error, players can deduce the alien’s behavior and avoid it completely. I completed all but the last mission without engaging the alien once. During the final mission, I threw caution to the wind because I had a full arsenal at my disposal. That was on my first playthrough. People complaining about the relentless alien hunter are wusses who’ve been coddled by modern, insert-cinematic-here shooters. The alien pushes AI into a league of its own. Without it, AI is another stealth title. Not every game needs to be easy and hand out achievements just for playing.

Unfortunately, AI’s shortcomings keep it from greatness. Characters are forgettable. AI attempts to push emotional moments on players and they don’t stick. There’s no connection with the characters. The voice acting and video scenes are entertaining, but the story falls flat. Repetitive objectives compound the problem. Both faults highlight the writers’ lack of creativity. AI clones the Alien universe but doesn’t offer anything new.

The space station is massive, but too much of it is locked down. I was expecting a Metroid Prime-like experience. Although Ripley will backtrack in the second act, she won’t have the necessary equipment to explore sealed areas until the final missions. By then it’s too late. Paltry rewards discourage revisiting those sections anyway. Despite 20+ hours of gameplay, I left a lot undiscovered. Certain doors are inexplicably locked (or unlocked) until events or cutscenes are triggered, then they’re magically unlocked. I explored one area for 20 minutes looking for the “alternate route”. Sure enough, a door in a room I already visited unlocked itself after I confronted looters.

Lastly, AI overstays its welcome. The final mission throws a bunch of “oh $%*#” moments at the player, but they’re predictable and overdrawn. I just wanted it end. Once AI wrapped up, I felt unfulfilled by the ending and its obvious sequel baiting.

Isolation doesn’t appeal to everyone because its tough, methodical gameplay aren’t commonplace. Despite its flaws, AI is a superb game that remains underappreciated. It’s a must own for Alien fans. However, the repetitive objectives, underdeveloped characters, and fruitless backtracking hold Isolation back from greatness. If exploration were more rewarding and the story and conclusion more compelling, I would give AI a 9 out of 10.
  70. Dec 25, 2016
    You are Ripley. Everyone wants to kill you: humans, androids and aliens. It is hard to survive if you have that many enemies, isn't it? Let me give you a revolver! But wait, it's not like that magic shooting-through-props revolver that your human enemies use! Oh, it's useless vs androids and aliens? No problem, let me give you some throwable blueprints: smoke bomb, flashbang, noisemakerYou are Ripley. Everyone wants to kill you: humans, androids and aliens. It is hard to survive if you have that many enemies, isn't it? Let me give you a revolver! But wait, it's not like that magic shooting-through-props revolver that your human enemies use! Oh, it's useless vs androids and aliens? No problem, let me give you some throwable blueprints: smoke bomb, flashbang, noisemaker etc! Oh, they are useless vs androids and aliens aswell? So there are already like 5 weapons/tools in the game and they are all useless? Yes. Uninstalled. Expand
  71. Oct 12, 2016
    Gratísima sorpresa!!

Aún no me he acabado la historia principal, aunque creo que llevo 19 episodios completados. Los suficientes como para atreverme a decir cuatro palabras... Te gustasen o no las películas de Alien/Aliens, este videojuego captura la esencia de la obra de Ridley Scott ¡sino la supera! (quizás) El nivel de mimo puesto en este videojuego es enorme, y se necesita
    Gratísima sorpresa!!

El nivel de mimo puesto en este videojuego es enorme, y se necesita jugar para apreciarlo más que explicarlo.

Un detalle que me gusta mucho, y que contribuye mucho a la 'tensión' (survival horror) es que no hay autoguardado. En vez de eso en determinados puntos del mapa, hay una especie de 'teléfonos de emergencia' donde puedes manualmente salvar tu progreso (me recuerda a las máquinas de escribir de los Resident Evil, salvo por que no hay límites de salvado).

El juego está repleto de puzzles y mapas laberínticos de una estación espacial llamada Sevastopol (una especie de terminal aérea comercial -aeropuerto- con zonas residenciales e industriales etc) que tiene de todo. Digno de elogio ver la lógica y grandiosidad de dicho lugar
  72. Oct 11, 2016
    Pros: Atmosphere, sound, graphics, story, the Alien, weapons.
    Cons: Very long game; 20 hours to complete main story; pointless missions, and lots of backtracking.
  73. Sep 22, 2016
    Alien Isolation è senza mezzi termini un ammasso di errori di design conditi da un anacronistico 'trial & error'; e i (pochi) grandi momenti si perdono nella casualità e nella reiterazione delle meccaniche.
    Gran parte del gioco consiste in un estenuante backtracking alla ricerca della leva/pulsante di turno, nella speranza che il puro caso ci tenga alla larga dalle grinfie degli androidi e dalle fauci dell' alieno.
    A poco servono la minuziosa ricostruzione degli ambienti e dell' alieno: la frustrazione è sempre dietro l' angolo e lo sviluppo della trama raggiunge 'vette' di fantozziana memoria. Peccato perché l' atmosfera c'era tutta.
    Un' altra occasione persa.
  74. Sep 18, 2016
    Horrible disappointment. I though this game is about survival against the Alien but unfortunately it is about sneaking past the room full of armed humans that can kill you in a second. And even if after half hour of trying you manage to sneak up to one of them and knock him down, you can't even pick up his gun (duh), and guess what, the others kill you 3 seconds later.
  75. Sep 5, 2016
    This game is truly masterpiece.Great horror atmosphere,nice graphics,alien as indestructible smart creature moving mostly very fast through station ventilation.This is best game i've played for last x years.Reminds me a bit System Shock 2 which i liked.But for fans alien movies especially alien1 is this game absolutely worth a try.Its not stupid shootter like many other games and this is aThis game is truly masterpiece.Great horror atmosphere,nice graphics,alien as indestructible smart creature moving mostly very fast through station ventilation.This is best game i've played for last x years.Reminds me a bit System Shock 2 which i liked.But for fans alien movies especially alien1 is this game absolutely worth a try.Its not stupid shootter like many other games and this is a big plus. Expand
  76. Aug 17, 2016
    I really liked the AI, visuals and whole story. It's really amazing and I think that I want more of it! It's a shame that DLCs are so small and you finishing them so quickly.
  77. Jul 12, 2016
    This game looks great, plays great and sounds great. It immerses you into the world. I played it on hard, which I usually don't do, but I had a good experience anyways. My only complaint is the length, but I was smart enough to play it in portions and not try to beat it in a few sittings. Still, talking economically, a longer game is just more for the buck, so why complain? By the way, itThis game looks great, plays great and sounds great. It immerses you into the world. I played it on hard, which I usually don't do, but I had a good experience anyways. My only complaint is the length, but I was smart enough to play it in portions and not try to beat it in a few sittings. Still, talking economically, a longer game is just more for the buck, so why complain? By the way, it will scare you and I still rememeber the first time the Alien got me. That just shows how scared I was... Expand
  78. Jul 4, 2016
    This was a masterpiece.Had to take breaks from playing it from tension.And always came back to it because it was awesome and interesting,especially if you r a fan.Play it with surround headphones.Alien footsteps are RUNNN bi*ch,actualy dont cuz your gonna die,i'd play it all over again if i had the strength
  79. Jul 3, 2016
    This is a well-crafted game taking place in a beautifully rendered space station - Sevastopol. The meticulously detailed graphics make you feel fully immersed, the atmosphere is tense and lonely, the soundtrack is superb. The complaints others have made are valid: the alien AI is not unpredictable but rather artificial, always staying at your side. The inability to do key binding madeThis is a well-crafted game taking place in a beautifully rendered space station - Sevastopol. The meticulously detailed graphics make you feel fully immersed, the atmosphere is tense and lonely, the soundtrack is superb. The complaints others have made are valid: the alien AI is not unpredictable but rather artificial, always staying at your side. The inability to do key binding made game-play awkward and frustrating due to failure to find the right keys under stressful situations: I know I want to move over there and do x-y-z NOW, but I'm hitting the wrong keys! Ooops DEAD!
    Still there are times when you can explore and loot, simply by keeping moving.
    I'm not a fan of survival horror, preferring to have the ability to bring heavy firepower on the enemy. Who wants to be helpless? The alien will cringe when you aim the flamethrower at it, but that cannot be used to maneuver about a room and back away toward your objective, as it always closes the distance even though it should know a blast of flame will be forthcoming. In a way the alien is stupid, preferring to stalk and attack you, rather than flee a proverbial burning building. I don't think marauding insects are even that stupid.
    Still the great elements outweigh the weaknesses of this game, making it highly recommended.
  80. Jun 29, 2016
    As a fan of the original Alien, I found this entry to be incredibly immersive and true to the film, Visually beautiful but they got the Alien's movement wrong.it's just a long, boring,
    You will have to repeat each kind of QTE around 100 times
  81. May 25, 2016
    Excellent game...even 18 months after release. It's worth picking up in a bundle with all the DLC. There is a bit of inconsitency in the cutscenes, but they add to the growing intensity of the game wonderfully. My only issue with the game is that it does end with a few loose ends. With a sequel still not certain (but not ruled out), here's hoping they find a way to tie up the loose ends.
  82. May 11, 2016
    This review is written by a huge Alien fan. The first movie is my favourite of all time. Second was pretty good. third is disappointing and fourth simply horrible. Now that you know a bit about the way I view franchise, let's move to the review.

This game conveys the feeling and atmosphere of the first movie in such an amazing way, that I have absolutely no idea what else developer could do to make it better.

Setting and story - As an Alien fan I found them both interesting. I won't say much more to prevent spoilers but one thing has to be said - the ending is a bit disappointing. The developer obviously intended for the game to have sequel.

Mechanics - I really enjoyed playing this game on hard difficulty. You have to realize that it's not going to be easy and sometimes you have to stay hidden for a long time. Despite the fact you have some weapons, it's best to absolutely never use them (except for flamethrower). This game plays a lot like Amnesia: The Dark Descent. If you're not hardcore survival horrors player, you should stay on Normal difficulty (despite what developer suggests).

Graphics - The game is very dark and looks amazing. There's been put tremendous attention to detail to make Sevastopol seem like real space station. Everything is styled after original Alien. Visuals certainly won't disappoint you.

Sound - Game uses A LOT of tracks (if not all) from original Alien soundtrack. Thanks to that and amazing sound effects you get easily immersed.

AI - Alien is not scripted except for a few cut-scenes. In general you should avoid NPCs and be aware you're not safe anywhere as Alien patrols vents as well (the moment you realize it for the first time might give you heart attack).

The game took me about 20 hours to complete on Hard difficulty. If you intend to rush it or don't feel like staying in closet for 5 minutes - skip on this game. Please keep in mind this game is VERY STRESSFUL and if you don't like horrors, certainly skip it.

To sum it all up - I didn't like the ending. The game is not too long - it's simply not for everyone.
    If you like Alien, it's 10/10.
    If you don't like Alien but like survival horror games, it's 8/10.
    If you don't like both Alien and horrors, just skip it.
  83. May 4, 2016
    This is how new generation fps should look like!.One of the best I have ever seen.The best Alien game ever made.I hate new fps games like Battlefields and Call of duty because they are to fast and to stupid.I always love fps like half life1,2,Doom 2,3 ,Fear,Far Cry,Quake 2.Today fps games are made for consoles but not for PC.
  84. Apr 12, 2016
    Es uno de los mejores juegos a los que e jugado en años me a recordado a el Alien Resurrection de la Play 1 ya que te mantiene continuamente con el miedo en el cuerpo, si te gusta Alien este juego te va a alucinar.
    PD: Juégalo a oscuras y con cascos.
  85. Apr 5, 2016
    This is a fantastic horror-game. The feel, the enviroment, the alien, everything pulls you into that world that we first saw back in 1979.
    I just love that retro future universe, and to be honest, I haven't been able to finish it yet, becuse i'm **** my pants.
    Yes, there are som quirks like stiff animations and the crafting system but overall a great game and experience!
  86. Mar 26, 2016
    A great game. Nothing else to say.. Okay, I will try to tell you more..

I'm not a fan of horror games as I'm not able to play such games. But this one caught my attention. The graphics is absolutely insane! The lightning looks great as well. It has one of the best game optimizations I've ever seen. Even on my old PC I was able to play it on ultra settings and it looked fantastic! How
    A great game. Nothing else to say.. Okay, I will try to tell you more..

How scary is it? Well, I alt+f4'd a few times. It is INDEED very scary. I couldn't play more than 2 hours per session as this game is very stressful. The sounds, the atmosphere, the Alien, the Androids and more! I also loved the retro style. The UI and computers in game this design.

Gameplay. Great... until the flamethrower part. I understand that at some point it'd be boring to hide all the time but flamethrower is too overpowered in my opinion and it ruined the other half of the game. You aren't afraid of the alien with such weapons, you can just scare it. But I loved other equipment such as noisemakers and EMP mines.

So, let's sum it up.

TOTAL SCORE: 9/10
  87. Mar 8, 2016
    Too much Alien, not enough Isolation

Too much Alien, not enough Isolation

At the beginning of this game--say, halfway through--I was so impressed with the visuals, the gameplay, the sound design, the story, the dangers, the mechanics and the rules that I wrote a short review on Steam stating it may be the best game I've ever played. One other reviewer stated what I was thinking about the game after that point: "Finish chapter [blank], put the game down and walk away with a smile on your face."

The problem is all the sweaty tension of creeping around with the threat of a relentless Alien dropping in on you is erased by repetition; as I progressed the alien became more of a bother than a threat. It wasn't long before I was looking up how many chapters I had to go and wondering, "Please tell me THAT was the end of that chapter so I can be one closer to the finish line!" I just wasn't having fun anymore. It's much like the tendency in Hollywood to muck up horror these days by giving away too much too early: having an antagonist that's fully revealed delivering absolute gore from beginning to end--more, bigger, badder is not necessarily the ingredient for better. Many people do like that kind of thing, but I ask you: what do you do for an encore?

The more I think about it the more I could see Alien Isolation as a sequel to a much shorter Alien game--a sequel in which creators are trying to up the ante simply by doubling or tripling what had been done before. I started the game out on "hard" at the developer's recommendation, but after the middle (or so) moved my skill level down to "novice" so I could play at a pace much more in keeping with the beginning. By the end I just wanted it to be over, and that's too bad for such a beautifully-designed game in every other respect. Perhaps someone else will take what can be learned here and make a title that maintains that "terrorific," trembling tenseness throughout its length . . .
  88. Mar 7, 2016
    Well, this is a good game. When the game is on, this is terror in it's purest form, trying to hide from the alien knowing he's smelling you, trying to cut corners with him, hearing him slithering through the tunnels above or below you and not knowing when he will appear again just next to you... And it's not just the alien, the synthetic also going crazy at you slowly approaching towardsWell, this is a good game. When the game is on, this is terror in it's purest form, trying to hide from the alien knowing he's smelling you, trying to cut corners with him, hearing him slithering through the tunnels above or below you and not knowing when he will appear again just next to you... And it's not just the alien, the synthetic also going crazy at you slowly approaching towards you and following you all around, and then even the humans shooting you every time they have the chance to... it's really an experience that has to be lived, it's definetely recommended. The problem with the game and that makes it a bit boring sometimes is that those situations do not occur as often as they should. Between those situations there's a lot of walking/crouching pressing "E" on several things without really any thing happening, and there are way too many saving points, I think knowing that you can die any time when you haven't saved for a long time makes it even more thrilling, but before almost every "dangerous" situation you always get the chance to save game giving you the sensation that you are safe, something that should never happen in a survival horror. Expand
  89. Feb 18, 2016
    Amazing game. Great story, graphics, gameplay and pacing. Don't understand the bad/mixed reviews...This game is definitely worth picking up, especially if you're a fan of the Alien franchise. Stay's true to the franchise and is a fantastic new entry into the story arch. The only complaint I have is how poorly the character animations were handled. The voice acting is top notch, but theAmazing game. Great story, graphics, gameplay and pacing. Don't understand the bad/mixed reviews...This game is definitely worth picking up, especially if you're a fan of the Alien franchise. Stay's true to the franchise and is a fantastic new entry into the story arch. The only complaint I have is how poorly the character animations were handled. The voice acting is top notch, but the character mouth and face animations are awful. At times during conversations characters mouth's won't move at all, making it difficult to tell who is talking to you. Certainly not a perfect game, but the hands down the best Alien game I have ever played. Giving it a 10 to boost it's overall score since it is most deserving of a better score than it has received from critics. Expand
  90. Feb 15, 2016
    Wow, what a masterpiece!! This was one of the best gaming experiences I had in the last 10 years. It rarely felt so realistic to be in a place and to be in danger, the designers really translated the spirit of the original Alien movie excellently into a game mechanic that works! An absolute must for Alien and stealth game fans!
  91. Jan 26, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Game is OK. Very nice graphics, feeling of Alien movies and interiors. Seriously not scary at all (scared once - it was explosion, not an Alien) but I like that kind of games. Game can be pretty hard sometimes but also frustrating because of the bugs but it happened to me few times only. I have just one thing that I hated in this game: backtracking. So go to a room to hit the switch that opens the door in next room -> go to that door and open them (2m), power down ->go to the same previous room to just power on generator(2m) -> go back to open the door(same 2m)...seriously? Expand
  92. Jan 23, 2016
    A well realised game adaptation of the original Alien film that does a good job at creating an atmosphere of desperation and vulnerability. The sound quality is impressive and the visuals look decent for the most part. Most players shouldn't run into any performance issues, and it doesn't take much to run this game at a smooth 60+ fps, which is a bonus.

In most scenarios, the gameplay

In most scenarios, the gameplay revolves around playing hide and seek with a plethora of neat gadgets at your disposal. Rewiring systems and weapons also add an additional layer of variety and tactics to the mix. The Alien itself is an intimidating enemy and one that brings about a lot of tension and paranoia, but I feel that encounters should've been less frequent to really extend the anticipatory anxiety and suspense. I also think that the game is too generous with resources. More often than not, I was fully stocked on all my gadgets. Running out of ammunition, medkits and batteries turned out to be the least of my worries. In a sense, this lessens the 'survival' aspect of the game and the resultant tension associated with it.

The game is generally well paced as well. I was glad to see that the game was sometimes willing to give a break with the Alien for a moment and introduce segments more focused on storytelling and character interact6ions. There were even a couple missions that seemed to focus more on combating androids rather than stealth. While this might disappoint some players, I thought it was a nice change of pace from the standard hide and seek gameplay mechanics. The exception to this are the last few missions of the game where objectives became a bit repetitive and tedious, with much backtracking and padding of the game length. I think Alien Isolation would've benefited from being a little shorter as it did overstay its welcome somewhat.

Overall rating - 8.1/10
  93. Jan 22, 2016
    Story is taking place after the events of first Alien. We'll play as Amanda Ripley - daughter of Ellen Ripley.
    When Nostromo Ship was gone and Ellen is deemed as missing, Amanda can't accept that fact and try to find her mother. However the years goes by and there's no information about current status of Ellen Ripley.
    One day, Amanda finds out that Sevastopol ship hold Black Box from
    One day, Amanda finds out that Sevastopol ship hold Black Box from Nostromo. She goes there to discover the truth about her mother. When she reaches on Sevastopol, turns out that something dangerous is on a board.

All the gameplay is about hide and seek. We try to avoid alien becouse even if we're well armed, we still don't have a chance to fight alien back. But it's good. We can feel that horror what Ellen Ripley did, empathize in climate of an amazing first alien movie.

All of it is packed in one big gift for "alien" fans. Sometimes we can even hear music from the movie. For me it is a Alien game i was always waiting for.
  94. Jan 22, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I will start off by saying I love the Alien franchise and was very disappoint by Colonial Marines. This game came out and it gave me hope again. The game is awesome during the first half. Making you feel like you are in the ridley scott universe all over again but you get to be the one chased by the alien this time. Spoiler alert: the end of the first half you killed the alien but yet you still have more to do. At this point in the game you feel relaxed, like you can finally stop collecting the ammo you got and finally let yourself go. Big F**king mistake I'll tell you. Because after your character get the idea to blow the station up you find out that the title lied to you. This isn't "Alien: Isolation" This is "Aliens:isolation" Now don't get me wrong I had no problem at first having to evade one unkillable alien at first. But when their are 5 aliens stalking you going the same path and you can't even get your objective and die over and over again. Please let us have a way to kill the 10 aliens chasing after you. By this time when you have to go up against more than one alien, it starts feeling less as horror and more of a chore. As you die over and over again. You get the shotgun after dealing with the first alien. I get the other weapons not doing much to the xenomorph. But a flamethrower and shotgun do absolutely nothing to them even when there are 5 of them. All they do is force one to run away while the other 4 murder your face. And those facehuggers are the only you can kill but when you do kill them guess what you attracted the other aliens. Get really annoying in the second half. 10/10 for the first half and 4/10 for the second half Expand
  95. Jan 21, 2016
    If there would be two words for this game then it would be “Near Perfection!” Yes, it is all what a game can achieve as nothing quite grazes the ‘flawless’ mark. And for that I am unabashed to offer a full score as the game delivers what it set out to achieve. What more is desired? Nothing at all.

Alien Isolation is a game of cat and mouse, and for all the hoopla and petty click-baiting (and the subsequent long whining sessions stretched across a couple of Ryan’s embarrassing circle-jerking videos) generated by the incredibly mentally channeled reviewers of IGN and Gamespot (and even Polygon) or that god awfully imbecilic Quarter to Three reviewer, it is a game that plays completely fair; it just punishes you for all the right reasons.

Shocking isn’t it? But had dear ol’ Ryan and Co McGees decided to actually read the instructions the game hands out like candy all the time, and maybe (just maybe) light the dimply lit corners of their heads to actually see the clear cut instructions at the bottom of your constructed gadgets, we wouldn’t be in this mess. Or perhaps, look a little carefully around as the items are plentiful, even in Nightmare mode.

Yes, AI plays completely fair and without giving much (as I want the review to be as spoiler free as possible), I would offer a few lines on this. The game is incredibly tense and at times very unnerving. You are literally the mouse in this game who is up against a cat armed down to its last … err … spiked tail?

Well, the analogy is as fitting as it can be as the Alien is a deadly killing machine with incredibly honed senses. You would come to know a deadly adversary in the Medical Bay, as when the leash is off the Alien, it’s just you and it one on one. And all you can do is survive. Yes, people, THIS is the point of the entire game; Survival.

You are literally stripped down to human level and I love the tiny details, as for example when you are putting bullets into the empty barrels of the revolver, Amanda’s hand would shake sometimes and she would do it slowly. Why? It makes sense. She is an engineer not a preposterous Space Marine but an ordinary young woman thrown into an impossible situation for which strategy and quick-wits are your sole modes of survival.

True to its word, the game tosses confrontations (for the most part) out of the window as it’s a hardcore Stealth game dealing with nothing but survival first and everything else later. You are facing a gargantuan threat, an unstoppable force and an apex predator. How do you think it should behave? It should behave unpredictably.

Yes, the Alien is a tough, unpredictable foe. It doesn’t care about your frustrations (I never had them), but only how it shouldn’t see and outwit you. I cannot imagine the infamous Medical Bay sequence going any other way imaginable as its second (or 3rd entry if you count the Axel cutscene) entry here is nothing short of spectacular.

Provided that the player takes notes of the impossible number of easy hints the game keeps throwing at you, I cannot imagine anyone dying in that heart-pumping adrenaline inducing sequence more than 2 or 3 times and that too on Hard Mode.

Your quick wits is all that is needed. And isn’t this the entire point of the game; outsmarting a deadly threat? It just is and its simplicity is even further reinforced by the persistence of the threat.

To be honest, if you love games that demand the attention span of a guppy and draw despicably unintelligent (shoot stuff, save every nanosecond, tell you where to go because, apparently, you cannot read a map a child can) crowd, then AI would prove to be something out of Milton’s parables for you as the manual Save Points and lack of pointless arrows pointing at directions (bar the obvious Motion Sensor aid) would frustrate anyone with a subpar attention span.

This game is a challenge and it proves so by putting you in very different situations to judge your capabilities as a player. You think the Alien is in vents? Try to sneak past humans or Synthetics. How fast are you in these situations to come up with an exit plan? Should I make a noise with firearms or a noise maker and risk drawing its attention or is stealth my option … or is drawing the Alien to hit it with a Molotov more up my alley?

It’s this mixing up of situations and multiple climaxes that hit the nail on Survival and the never-ending tension. You are made to feel vulnerable … and boy is the game apt at this play at mortal fear.

The pacing is incredible, and yes, people a story can have multiple climaxes. Ryan and Co never read anything beyond menu screens for good literature to fall back on as that criticism was probably one of the most idiotic things on the internet; nothing but incredibly ignorant individuals trying their hand at literary devices. I felt nothing but second-hand embarrassment.

A tense Survival game; it would be a crime as a gamer to pass it up as it's a surreal experience par excellence of a lifetime!
  96. Jan 17, 2016
    I had a lot of fun playing the game and the most fun I had when alien found me and ripped me apart! The game isn't frustrating at all, and believe me, I'm not too patient gamer (I'm ashamed to admit, but I broke my keyboard hitting it on a floor on final fight in Assassins Creed 1). Perfect atmosphere, music and sound. Beautiful level design, and brilliant gameplay. Most recommended!
  97. Jan 14, 2016
    Undeniably great and worthy, atmosphere and sound are phenomenal, graphics are stella, and the tension is real. I'd have liked it more if it was half as long as it is though as large segments are tedious, lots of backtracking and repetitive gameplay. Still worthwhile.
  98. Jan 13, 2016
    Game is interesting in the beginning, because you are expecting alien somewhere. But when alien is still around you, you will see cheap way how to scary you: Alien is still around your hiding place, no matter if you change hiding place. Still only around you. There is simple formula. He is usually looking for you 1 minute than you have 10 - 20 seconds to change your place. When you are inGame is interesting in the beginning, because you are expecting alien somewhere. But when alien is still around you, you will see cheap way how to scary you: Alien is still around your hiding place, no matter if you change hiding place. Still only around you. There is simple formula. He is usually looking for you 1 minute than you have 10 - 20 seconds to change your place. When you are in one place hidden too long, he will moving and looking close to you and you will have to hold breath. And because controls don't help you, you will be sometimes killed, because pressed key is not registered by game. This "hiding game" is interesting in the begging of the game. But later, when you are send to some place, you know - again some alarm will be triggered and you will have to play again cheap "hiding game".
    This is boring and game is missing something else. Some better idea and not only repeating hiding game with unreal alien behavior.
    And Im not talking about mechanoids. They are not able to hear you (breath, steps) behind small wall, 2 meters away, while you are watching to his eyes, but mechanoids are able to hear you in locker. How ?
    Another black point: keyboard. Why do I have to press and hold key, when I want to hide ? Game is sometimes not able to recognize pressed key. Situation: alien is in your back, you press E and you holding the key 1 sec, 2 sec. Nothing. You press E again and finally after 1 sec, Ripley is hiding. But you lost 3 - 4 seconds and alien is now able to see you. GAME OVER and start again from last save. Why keyboard control is killing the game like this ? Stupid "hold key" rule is making game not more scary, but more unplayable.
    This unreal alien, mechanoid, humans behavior, sometimes not working keyboard (bug ?), boring "hiding games" with alien are killing the game.
    If keyboard is fixed, alien has better and real moving script, mechanoids and level design is better and there is some story, game deserve 10/10. At this moment, game has good draft, but bad design killed good game.
  99. Jan 10, 2016
    It was a perfect game from the beginning to the end!! The best Alien and horror game that I've ever played!! It could be hard at times but I guess that's how should be played a survival horror game!
  100. Jan 5, 2016
    Turn on Alien: Isolation.

Play for 1.5 hours. Ambience has me rattling like a coffin in an earthquake. During this time, never even saw the Alien. Finally catch a brief glimpse of the Alien's tail. Turn off game, call mom to tell her I love her. Update blood pressure medication. Can now only play this game during the day, with the lights on, while listening to the
    Turn on Alien: Isolation.

Play for 1.5 hours.

Ambience has me rattling like a coffin in an earthquake.

During this time, never even saw the Alien.

Finally catch a brief glimpse of the Alien's tail.

Turn off game, call mom to tell her I love her.

Update blood pressure medication.

Can now only play this game during the day, with the lights on, while listening to the "Happy Days" theme on loop.

101. Oct 9, 2014
    They got the Alien's movement wrong. This ruined the game completely for me. The alien isn't authentic to the movies where it was a STEALTHY predator that slithered around the walls/ceiling/vents to kill its prey - mainly by ambushing. Instead it walks/runs upright and never on all fours. The alien emits LOUD stomping noises when it moves (think elephant stampeding). You can hear itThey got the Alien's movement wrong. This ruined the game completely for me. The alien isn't authentic to the movies where it was a STEALTHY predator that slithered around the walls/ceiling/vents to kill its prey - mainly by ambushing. Instead it walks/runs upright and never on all fours. The alien emits LOUD stomping noises when it moves (think elephant stampeding). You can hear it coming a mile away.. it completely breaks the immersion of the game. Collapse

Generally favorable reviews - based on 41 Critic Reviews

1. CD-Action
    Dec 13, 2014
    This game makes you crawl like a goddamn worm, in constant fear of being squashed. I was scared to leave the closet I was hiding in, because the monster was somewhere out there. [Dec 2014, p.68]
  2. Nov 25, 2014
    The Creative Assembly’s game, however, is cooked; left to boil so long it loses all flavor and texture. For 10 hours, Isolation is one of the best horror games ever made, until a second, poorly made game bursts out of its heart.
  3. Pelit (Finland)
    Nov 15, 2014
    Alien Isolation can be frustratingly difficult at times, but nevertheless it’s easily the best game in the Alien franchise since the original Aliens vs Predator. The fact that the game mimics perfectly the 1970s look and sci fi stylings of Ridley Scott’s Alien film makes the experience even more endearing. By featuring absurd number of “surprise” twists, Alien Isolation’s final act could’ve used some trimming. [Nov 2014]