- Summary: The year is 3015. Humanity has colonized thousands of systems across a vast region of space splintered by centuries of conflict. The battlefields of the future are dominated by MechWarriors, elite pilots of hulking machines of war known as BattleMechs.
Please enter your birth date to watch this video:
You are not allowed to view this material at this time.
MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries - PreAlpha Footage
Dec 10, 2019MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries is a return to form. As a fan of the series, it’s been a very long wait, but PGI managed to deliver in a big way on nearly every front. While there are certain things that could be improved, what’s here is an excellent four player mech-stomping good time.
Dec 11, 2019Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries brings back most of the combat and management the series is known for. Your mileage may vary on just how satisfying that is, but in objective terms there are a number of small issues—from AI to graphics—that add up and keep this game from its full potential.
Jun 1, 2021Mechwarrior 5 is for the detail-oriented mech fans who are willing to sacrifice immediate excitement and gratification for a more grounded simulation of what it would be like to pilot a massive mechanical monster. The career mode provided with this new expansion might please those who are craving more action from the base game, but there’s no new story to be had or any major gameplay additions to hook in anyone else. For the weighty price tag – Heroes of the Inner Sphere is only worth a purchase for those truly addicted to this more thoughtfully paced mecha-mercenary-em-up.
Dec 20, 2019As a huge fan of the previous games, the tabletop and above all the books, I couldn't wait to finally get back into the virtual cockpit of a battle mech to scrap other combat robots. In many ways, the new Mechwarrior is a dream that has come true. After the first euphoria about the many 'Mechs, the cool missions and the nice look compared to the ancient predecessor has abated, it is noticeable that the MW5 gameplay has a few weak points that it is not easy to overlook.
Dec 10, 2019Don't even pay attention to the obvious trolls. MW4 and the older titles were NOT better than this. All I wanted is a lengthy dynamic campaignDon't even pay attention to the obvious trolls. MW4 and the older titles were NOT better than this. All I wanted is a lengthy dynamic campaign where you gradually upgrade your mechs and wreak havoc on enemies, and so far this game seems to deliver just that.
The game still needs some polishes, but that's about it. There is no deal breaker here. I've finally got what I wanted after so many years, and won't let some entitled trolls destroy this franchise with their endless whining.… Expand
Dec 11, 2019Gotta weigh in here. I have played Mech Warrior Online 60+ hours and BattleMech 80+ hours and this new addition to the Battlemech /Gotta weigh in here. I have played Mech Warrior Online 60+ hours and BattleMech 80+ hours and this new addition to the Battlemech / Mechwarrior experience is essential. Some people are saying this game is average. I do not agree.
There are definitely aspects that could use improvement! I literally am waiting on baited breath with fingers crossed that we get expansions, DLC, or even just QOL updates for this title.
Because it is SO FUN to play. When there is 12 plus bogies on the screen and you are assaulting a base in a Blackjack trying to lay down the suppression fire long enough while sniping turrets and helicopters for your three AI controlled lancemates to help you pull through it is TENSE.
The physical experience of switching from a Blackjack to a Vindicator is so impactful! On paper they really are not that much different. In piloting the different loadouts and weapons make you feel like you are piloting a different mech. This is so downplayed by the two other titles.
Your skill as a pilot here really helps you out.
MWO dosen't quite have the longevity of a mercenary comapny. The MWO experience is similiar to this (though not nearly as impactful) but it feels like a skirmish simulator and while online with big battles it just dosen't hold my interest (not to mention the grind is high). In addition it's really hard to be tactical because you get smoked SO FAST by huge groups of players. It's very chaotic and (for me at least) boils down to very basic tactics you have to adhere to to not get dog-piled cored. BATTLEMECH is great in it's own rights but you don't have as strong as a visceral experience due to it being a slow paced top down tactics game (which I love but I don't feel like I am a pilot, more a general commanding troops).
Mechwarrior 5: Mercenaries blends the two into a sublime balance.
It's not perfect across the board and could use some fine tuning so I give it a 9 instead of a ten.
I hope it continues to get some more development love because I am having a blast and I think anybody who enjoys MWO and BATTLEMECH is missing out if they don't give this game the chance it deserves. With any upcoming soft tweaks it's an easy 10 for sure, 11+ with any future additions to the core gameplay.… Expand
Jan 1, 2020Very good Mechwarrior game.
plus: The campaign is a classic cliché, but interesting enough from the second half. Mechs selection moreVery good Mechwarrior game.
The campaign is a classic cliché, but interesting enough from the second half.
Mechs selection more than sufficient (although I look forward to DLC)
Movement and combat is perfect.
In co-op the game is much better.
AI lance pilots are stupid. AI does not use jumpjet (at least one saves tonnage). AI rarely gets stuck somewhere (but using commands will solve everything, just send them to a specific location or a specific target).
I look forward to the next DLC, especially I hope the clan invasion.… Expand
Dec 16, 2019The combat alone nets it a 5 to me as this is what I expect from a MechWarrior game. Solid combat experience and hard hitting weapons whenThe combat alone nets it a 5 to me as this is what I expect from a MechWarrior game. Solid combat experience and hard hitting weapons when applicable but that's where the good ends for me. The story is horribly generic and the voice actor for your character feels like he didn't even care. There are instances where he should have more emotion but instead says the same two words you've heard since the start of the game in the same exact way instead. Ryana and Spears have more emotion and experience in their respective voice actors although I am half expecting Spears to say "I didn't ask for this" considering it's the same voice actor as Adam Jensen from Deus Ex: Human Revolution.
-Fine 'Mech combat that makes the game fun although it could be improved
-Fahad's voice lines has more personality than the player character's, never mind the randomly generated pilots you can hire (tl;dr PC's voice actor didn't give a damn)
-AI tends to cost your more C-bills than what should be expected imo
-It's on the Epic Game Store… Expand
Aug 30, 2020Scratches the itch long time MW fans have had, but it falls quite short. The combat feels too fast and arcadey, AI is terrible, and theScratches the itch long time MW fans have had, but it falls quite short. The combat feels too fast and arcadey, AI is terrible, and the overall gameplay can be described as repetitive and boring.… Expand
Dec 24, 2019* Update * I changed the Score from 5 to 2. This is the worst Mech game in the series, even worse then MechCommander 2. Avoid this game like* Update * I changed the Score from 5 to 2. This is the worst Mech game in the series, even worse then MechCommander 2. Avoid this game like the plauge.
Mechwarrior 5 is actually at times quite fun but right now it is more or less broken. It is held back by repetitive missions, boring grindning, very unbalanced difficulty, buggy graphics and bad A.I. It is actually quite ok 15-20 hours in and then it starts to sink in what a grindfest this game is. it is like a MMO game with daily grind quests since you literary do the same thing over and over again to raise your reputation.
The game would need 6-12 months more in development. #Fix loading times, #Improve A.I, #Fix texture pop-ins and wierd graphics artifacts, # Improve in the reinforcements/spawning mechanic (you could for instance use more dropships, mechs hidning in buildings, powered down mech that are hiding etc.
# Pros #
* The mech modells and terrain destruction are quite alright.
* Combat can be quite fun and hectic at times.
* Checking out your mechs at full size in the mechbay is some thing I like to do.
* The economic part is also quite ok.
* A lot of mechs and weapons.
# Neutral #
* The mechbay feels empty of life. There are some characters and soilders there but they never move and look at you with dead eyes.
* Bland music and voice acting. While it works the rock/riff guitar music if soon forgettable when every song sounds the same.
* The main story is more or less the same as Mechwarrior 4. Your friends / family has been killed by evil mechwarriors and now you must find out who they are and get revenge.
* Slow pacing. I can understand it can take time to travel and repair your mechs after each mission. But it quickly gets boring waiting your mech to get repaired. I dont know where I am in the game, perhaps 75% finished and I have played for ~8000 days. Everyone will be old or dead when its finished.
# Negative #
* Light and medium mechs is pointless in the end game since every mission is about destroying everything you see. And ECM and radar is nonexistent.
* The campaign will mainly consists of procedurally generated grind missions just to get you reputation up to a higher level. Then when you do you will get new missions to continue the story.
* The real story mission is more or less as the grind missions but with vioceovers. Defend that, destroy that. What about escort missions?, what about recon missions?. Well there is none.
* Loading times is very slow, even on a SSD.
* Texture pop-ins all the time.
* The A.I has not really improved in 20 years. Your companions still shoot you in the back, destroy buildings you must protect and get stuck all the time.
* After a mission you end up down in the mechbay and not at the command table where you make all the decisions. Then you have to run up some stairs everytime.
* Where is the radar ?
* Unbalanced difficulty *
Lets say you take a level 10 defence mission. After completion you take some medium damage but you still go 1mil+. Repair and go back and take another defence mission at the same place. This mission on the same planet is more or less impossible to complete due to the massive unbalanced reinforcements mechanic. Now you will fight 14-20 enemies at the same time instead of 4-8 at the last mission. You can not kill all of them in time before they destroy the base. So mission difficulty is very unbalanced. And sometimes the reinforcement never stop comming, they will literary land the mechs on your head with a dropship. And since the dropships is indestructible there is not tactics involved at all.
* Range weapons is more or less useless since most enemies land or spawn very close to you.
* Radar is useless so you do not see enimies popping in behind you. They will almost always get the first shot
* In the later end game most enemies just target you instead. Your lance can be mostly undamaged and you will be dead or destoryed.
* Where do you change the difficulty , well you can't.
# Terrible #
* The enemy spawning is easy the worst thing in the entire game. Mechs and tanks can literary pop up right behind you can score some nasty hits, and it happens all the time.… Expand
Aug 24, 2020Super bad experience overall. Combat feels clunky as heck, graphics are dated, HUD is unreadable, even considering that I've got this game forSuper bad experience overall. Combat feels clunky as heck, graphics are dated, HUD is unreadable, even considering that I've got this game for free does not convince me to waste time on it.
Shame, wasted potential.… Expand