- Summary: Underrail is an old-school turn-based isometric indie role playing game that focuses on exploration and combat. The game is set in a distant future, when the life on the Earth’s surface has long since been made impossible and the remnants of humanity now dwell in the Underrail, a vast systemUnderrail is an old-school turn-based isometric indie role playing game that focuses on exploration and combat. The game is set in a distant future, when the life on the Earth’s surface has long since been made impossible and the remnants of humanity now dwell in the Underrail, a vast system of metro station-states.… Expand
CD-ActionMar 30, 2016If you regard the 90s and first two Fallout games as ancient history, Underrail is not for you, because without the anesthetic power of nostalgia it might be completely indigestible. [03/2016, p.71]
Game World Navigator MagazineJan 20, 2016If not for the Underrail Wiki, it would be all but impossible to complete some quests. The in-game journal keeps track of active quests, but makes no mention of their stages or received hints. Still, the game is good, from nice 2D graphics to challenging tactical combat to sense of exploration when every new location has some surprises in store. [Issue#205, p.56]
Dec 18, 2015A solid rpg experience, underrail remind the old classic fallout combined with deus ex and system shock (psi powers). You can make theA solid rpg experience, underrail remind the old classic fallout combined with deus ex and system shock (psi powers). You can make the character you want, choose your path and explore an enormous system of metro station and cavern (and much more) that is called the Underrail.
Graphics is basic but it has it's own style and united with the good music and ambient vibe recreate a good visualaudio experience.
The game also is pretty long, you can easily put 70 to 100 hours and not see everything, not to count the replay value that is very good. Recommended.… Expand
Dec 21, 2015Like an old good rpg games. Super !!!!!Like an old good rpg games. Super !!!!! ..................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................… Expand
Dec 25, 2015It's a great 2D isometric RPG, close to Fallout 2 but with more stuff added: more skills, more perks (called "feats"), tons of crafting,It's a great 2D isometric RPG, close to Fallout 2 but with more stuff added: more skills, more perks (called "feats"), tons of crafting, psionic abilities (they let you play like a mage in a fantasy RPG and allow interesting kiting tactics). It's also pretty close to Wasteland 2 though you only control 1 character. If you liked Fallout 2, Wasteland 2, Divinity Original Sin, XCom games or Jagged Alliance 2 then you will likely enjoy this game, too. Actually, this game is better than Fallout 2. Gee, did I say that? Yes, I did.
- a huge world to explore with a great atmosphere
- some excellent dialog with witty social satire later in the game
- all of the loot can be used in crafting
- psionic abilities offer an additional way to play thru the game (e.g. with Force Field you can create cover against ranged attackers for a turn or two, or you can even block enemies with it and escape the level)
- the color of the cursor shows if opening a door or a container will anger NPCs around it (if they see you opening/hacking/lockpicking it)
- already checked containers have "empty" word added to their tooltip
- NPCs only barter for a limited set of items (like, "i'll only buy from you 3 leathers, 3 medical components, 3 weapons and nothing else"). If you are a completionist (compulsively greedy looter) like myself, you'll carry all the junk around and re-check the same NPCs over and over because the list of things they want to buy randomly updates. Soon you will be swimming in money, but there isn't much to buy. Btw that guy in Core City... ROFL
- the 2D art may seem a bit amateurish at start. I'd even say they may need to redraw most of the character portraits with more detail to match the rest of the graphics in the game, like environment in Junkyard and Core City. Some portraits are re-used across characters (docs in Rail Crossing and Core City, and a nurse in SGS) - important characters should have had a unique portrait and everyone else maybe no portrait at all
The bad (more like suggestions for the next update):
- no map of zones (see below)
- a bug in Force Field spell: I understand that the field should expire (disappear) after the AI has done its turn and before you do your turn - but sometimes it expires in the middle of enemy turn
- in cramped locations it may be not easy to spot enemies behind walls -> have to press Tab for the tooltips too often. It might be a good option to toggle display of tooltips with Tab, not just showing them while Tab is pressed
- the cave walls all look like thin 1-cell thick wall, even if it's an outer wall. This might not look like a big problem, but in fact it really gives the caves this "auto-generated" low-budget feel, especially because there are so many cave zones in the game. Maybe the wall tiles which aren't between corridors but are between a corridor and solid rock shouldn't show any thickness and instead just show black for solid rock. Also, the walls which aren't visible to the player (looking north or west) should be shown as black space. Currently caves look more like tubes hanging in black empty space
- the GUI doesn't scale for bigger monitors. The GUI elements are all pixel-crisp but look very small on 1920x1080. Also the fonts are somewhat hard to read - simple Arial or Verdana would work better
About the map:
Fans have already made such a map of zones on the game's wiki, but 1) it's awkward to alt+tab to those maps while playing the game, 2) some maps are not accurate which adds to the confusion, 3) seeing all those zones you haven't yet seen in the game breaks the exploration feeling during the first playthru
Such a map could be shown only when you use a special "Navigator" item which also could be crafted and consumed batteries (per look at the map). Ideally the navigator should be able to calculate and show a path from the zone where you currently are to any other explored zone where you want to go, if a connection thru explored zones exists (should show rocks to be cleared, too).
Less patient players can be turned off as soon as they get lost in the endless caves and sub-metro zones. It would be more logical if the zones would fit into a grid, like in JA2 - this would also make the map much easier to draw and present - as the current fans' map in the wiki stretches and bends lines to fit it all in.… Expand
May 10, 2021I am personally not a fan of Fallout 1 and 2 but I am a massive fan of this game, even if I didn't find it particularly replayable.
TheI am personally not a fan of Fallout 1 and 2 but I am a massive fan of this game, even if I didn't find it particularly replayable.
The combat feels a lot better than these older games and the general UI and map is just perfect, the game is hard but this really shouldn't be judged as a downside; you don't really have a lot of freedom to take just any playstyle you want and some parts are frustrating, but that might even make this game better, it shouldn't be a cakewalk and there are still several different types of builds that are good, you just need to make sure you read a few guides before you start playing and get stuck halfway.
The game is pretty long with a decently large map, playing through the story took 120 hours and I played it only once making the game is well priced for this long playtime.… Expand
Jan 15, 2016If u don't care about graphics and look for a solid rpg experience, this is the game for you. Honestly i haven't felt this draw to a gameIf u don't care about graphics and look for a solid rpg experience, this is the game for you. Honestly i haven't felt this draw to a game since fallout 2. This game punishes mistakes so hard, but rewards good tactics. The story maybe a little shallow at first but i progresses nicely.
A job well done. This game proves that passion for a project is more important then money and profit.… Expand
Mar 6, 2019--Great CRPG very immersive, realistic and retailer. We have the freedom to explore an open world and a great turn-based combat system with--Great CRPG very immersive, realistic and retailer. We have the freedom to explore an open world and a great turn-based combat system with many, many variables to consider, which gives tactical richness to the battles.
Graphically and the story are only above average but nobody is perfect
--Gran CRPG muy inmersivo, realista y detallista. Tenemos la libertad de explorar un mundo abierto y un gran sistema de combate por turnos con muchas, muchas variables a considerar, lo que le da riqueza táctica a los combates.
Los graficos y la historia solo cumplen, pero nadie es perfecto :)… Expand
Jul 1, 2021This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Don't think this game is like fallout 1/2. Sure some people like both games but that alone does not make it similar. There is no reason to make a game this ugly in 2015. Even a potato PC can handle more than this. And dialogues isn't fun either.… Expand