7.8

1. Feb 19, 2013
    this game is straight-forward fun in the vein of Vanquish more so than Bayonetta. Combat is not as deep as Bayonetta but is still frenetic and fluid and feels great. The combinations of your light and heavy attacks with the moves you attain along the way allow for creativity and strategy for dealing with groups of enemies. The secondary weapons take the place of your heavy attack and arethis game is straight-forward fun in the vein of Vanquish more so than Bayonetta. Combat is not as deep as Bayonetta but is still frenetic and fluid and feels great. The combinations of your light and heavy attacks with the moves you attain along the way allow for creativity and strategy for dealing with groups of enemies. The secondary weapons take the place of your heavy attack and are best equipped to handle particular enemies, though never necessary. I'd say Hard mode would be your Normal mode so start there. Very Hard mode with New Game is when you really start to feel the fast pace of the action and how challenging the game can get. The parrying works well and is satisfying when you're stringing them and countering during intense battles, although the camera angle may sometimes be where it's hard to judge the direction to parry. That's why the Dodging ability is also important. Ducking, weaving, parrying, countering, running while deflecting bullets toward the dude in the distance, all happening in quick, fluid succession creates really cool moments. This is what the game is about. It is on the short side but this is more for the arcade-style gamers like myself who love getting better and chasing ranks. Expect high-level gamers posting speed runs on youtube that will surely expose how the game can truly be played. I give this an 8.5 but the scoring system only allows whole numbers. Don't really care about story though i do wish there were options to change language and subtitles like in Vanquish. I dont consider this to be Platinum's best game, which is understandable given their circumstances and time constraints. But if they are given the chance at a sequel i bet they can create a true masterpiece. This game is still fun for what it is and therefore receives a good score from me! Have fun with this one. Expand
  2. Feb 19, 2013
    this game proves once again that platinum can make an over the top crazy action game its a great spin off to a great series. if mgs fans dont like it there is ground zeroes to look forward to but in the mean time you can enjoy this crazy fuelled game
  3. Feb 19, 2013
    I've got to admit, I'm kind of surprised by just how terrible this game is. Having played Bayonetta I expected a top of the line hack and slash experience taking inspirations from the greats. What I got was a gimmick filled ride with very little actual substance to it. Let's start with the gameplay. Rising's gameplay isn't particularly deep or rewarding. The time not spent wildly mashingI've got to admit, I'm kind of surprised by just how terrible this game is. Having played Bayonetta I expected a top of the line hack and slash experience taking inspirations from the greats. What I got was a gimmick filled ride with very little actual substance to it. Let's start with the gameplay. Rising's gameplay isn't particularly deep or rewarding. The time not spent wildly mashing buttons will be spent in blade mode, the game's big gimmick. This pauses the action and lets you cut through enemies. The way they've balanced this is that certain enemies require you to beat on them for a while before blade mode actually starts cutting. Unfortunately the beating itself is exceedingly tedious with enemies acting like glorified punching bags rather than actual threats and since there isn't much variety in Raiden's limited moveset and you'll soon find yourself bored to tears. A few boss fights breaks away from the tedium by mandating more advanced techniques but these are so few and far in between that it ultimately doesn't matter.

Now since this is a Metal Gear game I know what you're all really looking forward to is the plot. There's just one tiny problem here. There isn't any. After you're done mashing your way through a bunch of random bad guys with absolutely no bearing on the overall universe you're back where you started and I think that's by far my biggest issue with this game as a Metal Gear fan. NOTHING actually happens. If you really have to play this then do yourself a favor and rent it. It'll be over before you know it.
  4. Mar 6, 2013
    As long time MG fan, i feel this is a very good entry into the series's already decorated history. Graphically, character models are top-notch. The Art style as intriguing as ever, boasting some of the most Uniquely designed enemies you'll encounter, visually and in function. Visuals are especially impressive in regards to handling the frame rate well despite the wild amount of acceleratedAs long time MG fan, i feel this is a very good entry into the series's already decorated history. Graphically, character models are top-notch. The Art style as intriguing as ever, boasting some of the most Uniquely designed enemies you'll encounter, visually and in function. Visuals are especially impressive in regards to handling the frame rate well despite the wild amount of accelerated action that takes place. As expected, the Action level is far higher than the Snake installments; even past Raiden segments are idle in comparison. Controls are solid, what you can expect from a Team Ninja action title. (Compare to DMC). This combat flow is definitely the fastest thus far. Love the Ninja-Run feature, as it allows Raiden to easily navigate all terrain and any geometrical obstacles, adding a necessary smoothness to his mobility. Weapons are fun to use and learning the combos is worth it. Upgrades are meaningful. Enemies are fierce and satisfyingly competitive. Hard Mode) The boss battles are the game's best offerings, providing rewarding challenge and visual spectacles that won't come close to disappointing you. The camera may only be an issue for the unsavvy.

The story is as cheesy as every other Metal Gear. Still, fun and masterfully written. Codec conversations provide interesting dialogues. Neglecting those would mean missing some of the best writing in the game. Great game overall for fans of the genre and should satisfy most Metal Gear enthusiast. 9/10
  5. Feb 24, 2013
    This is the Vanquish of 3rd person action games. It will be equally hated by those ignorant gamers that play a game for 20 minutes and say "this sucks" or those that have a hard time learning new skills.
    The real action gamer will discover what its all about, and know its another great Platinum game that will be played many, many times.
  6. Dec 21, 2013
    On the plus side of this game, graphics look good.

However, that's about the only thing going for the game. Most of what is so stunningly shown, is just pure visceral violence. Now a bit I don't mind, but if the emphasis in a game is too much on gore, it just means to hide other issues in general in my experience. For example for this game: lack of a decent story, lack of a decent
    On the plus side of this game, graphics look good.

However, that's about the only thing going for the game.
    Most of what is so stunningly shown, is just pure visceral violence. Now a bit I don't mind, but if the emphasis in a game is too much on gore, it just means to hide other issues in general in my experience. For example for this game: lack of a decent story, lack of a decent tutorial & lack of depth in gameplay in general
  7. Feb 24, 2013
    This game will go into history as the masters of game music and its innovative use.

The Boss fights are also memorable, grinding kept to a minimum and gives that overthetop epic live-action feeling about self performance! If only they'd learn camera control...
  8. May 10, 2013
    The game is solid. Plays beautifully and it has a ˜god of war fell" to it when you see yourself chaining combos with extreme violence. Think of it of Ninja Gaiden meets Kratos. The main problem, in my opinion, (apart from the VERY SHORT LENGTH, since it's pretty much 4 hours long) is that Metal Gear Rising, like its main character, suffers from lack of charisma. We just don't care veryThe game is solid. Plays beautifully and it has a ˜god of war fell" to it when you see yourself chaining combos with extreme violence. Think of it of Ninja Gaiden meets Kratos. The main problem, in my opinion, (apart from the VERY SHORT LENGTH, since it's pretty much 4 hours long) is that Metal Gear Rising, like its main character, suffers from lack of charisma. We just don't care very much about Raiden, though the game keeps forcing us to understand (and believe he is the ultimate hero). In the end, the game is very bland, grey, with little personality. It's a good and entertaining game but very short and not very compelling. Expand
  9. Dec 7, 2013
    Very bad controlls, bad camera, bad gameplay, play DMC, GOW etc. instead of this crap. Big disappointment,. Im a great hack&slash fan, but this game is just for those who like being upset by
    horrible gameplay and by a horrible blocking mechanic.
  10. Feb 24, 2013
    Metal Gear rising is almost perfect for what it is. There were only a few issues with the game. The camera could be really annoying at times, the length was far too short for a metal gear game and the story just didn't hold as much weight with you as a metal gear "solid" game. As far as positives go however, this game was so fun I'll actually play through it again and i never do that withMetal Gear rising is almost perfect for what it is. There were only a few issues with the game. The camera could be really annoying at times, the length was far too short for a metal gear game and the story just didn't hold as much weight with you as a metal gear "solid" game. As far as positives go however, this game was so fun I'll actually play through it again and i never do that with games. The graphics were cool, the soundtrack was really unique and i promise you have never played a sword game like this before...ever. Platinum Games did an awesome job with the blade mode.

I'm personally not regretting my purchase of this game. It was exactly what video games are supposed to be; clever ideas and tons of fun.
  11. Mar 1, 2013
    This game is straight to the point, without much ado, like ninja gaiden in their glory days, the story is not as impressive as that of MGS4 but it's a good excuse to get out slicing everything.
  12. Feb 25, 2013
    Metal Gear Rising is a great addition to the series. platinum games have done a great job of creating a first class game based around sword skills and martial arts weapons like Raidens default nano energy sword, sai swords, 3 section staff/ long pole and more than likely a few more i have not yet seen. The game allows you too upgrade weapons armor and skills by using the points scored inMetal Gear Rising is a great addition to the series. platinum games have done a great job of creating a first class game based around sword skills and martial arts weapons like Raidens default nano energy sword, sai swords, 3 section staff/ long pole and more than likely a few more i have not yet seen. The game allows you too upgrade weapons armor and skills by using the points scored in a mission too buy the upgrades. The better your score the quicker you can upgrade. Metal gear rising is a challenge even on normal difficulty at first you will die a lot especially on boss fights but as you learn and progress when you finally beat the boss or enemy that was causing you all the grief. you feel you have mastered raidens skills and this is were the addiction factor kicks in trying to beat previous area best scores. Some reviews said the game was very short but its actually not that short and with different weapons to collect as well as battle armors/cyborg suits that have different skill stats attached the replay value is high. The story is one of political intrigue mixed with raidens back story and the morals of war. (No Spoilers) The graphics look great and the game runs at a smooth 60fps. This is a next gen game running on this gens tech. The destruction engine that is used to count how many pieces an object gets cut into works great and you even spend time chopping wood just too see how many pieces you can cut it into. Metal gear rising game of a thousand cuts. Platinums best yet. if you like swordplay games with a decent story this game is highly recommended there is nothing else like it available this gen. Expand
  13. Feb 25, 2013
    I start with bad sides:
    1. Camera. luckily Lock-On compensates it somewhat but not enough to make it good. 2. Side Characters. Sorry, they are not very interesting or appealing. Luckily their impact on story is very minor.
    I start with bad sides:
    3. Humor. I loved over the top stuff. I loved humor in Bayo. Here it felt somewhat forced. Now those 3 thing aside, I try to describe good sides. 1. Combat. It's very intense and fun. I don't understand how some people called it shallow or whatsoever. Experimentation with unique weapons adds depth and customizable moves add sweet flavor to it.
    2. Enemy variety and AI. The game isn't very long, but enemies are coming in many different forms and are far from being shallow shells, staying and waiting on your punishment.
    3. Difficulty. Maybe I'm not as good in this game Back than I was able to make it through Bayo without much trouble) but here skill is required on different level. IT's mix of NG and Vanquish. NG's combat and Vanquish's speed.
    4. Eye candy. Game looks awesome with non stop effects and cool animations. And what's really made my day: no pixelated shadows by PS3. Pixelated shadows nowadays is common in many games, but here they managed to avoid them altogether. 5. Story. Behind absurd over the top story hides pretty thick and engaging story that I haven't expected at first.
    6. BOSSES! Yes, they are the kings of this game. I haven't enjoyed boss fights so much for a very long time. And they really made it more than worth. 7. Exploration. Hidden areas, collectibles and funny nods to MGS made it re-playability even more engaging. In the end it's 9/10 for me. Aside from 3 things I mentioned at the beginning, 2 of them pretty subjective, I found game is more than enjoyable and I'll be glad to see sequel to it!
  14. Jan 29, 2014
    Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is an exceptional action game. As you probably already know you literally cut through everything in the game. Cutting enemy soldiers into halves not enough? How about slicing entire helicopters and mechs into shreds? In Metal Gear Rising you will be doing that a lot. Yes its not realistic but who cares? Just enjoy being an overpowered cyborg ninja whereasMetal Gear Rising: Revengeance is an exceptional action game. As you probably already know you literally cut through everything in the game. Cutting enemy soldiers into halves not enough? How about slicing entire helicopters and mechs into shreds? In Metal Gear Rising you will be doing that a lot. Yes its not realistic but who cares? Just enjoy being an overpowered cyborg ninja whereas listen to the game's awesome music. This is probably the most solid action game I have ever played, simple yet precise and very satisfying.
    Truth to be told there isn't much story in this game: just stopping the bad guys who try to bring the world to the chaos of war. Characters in Metal Gear Solid does not appear in the game but it is solely about Raiden this time, who fights against leaders of the organization Desperado.
    Speaking of which, boss fights are easily the best parts in Metal Gear Rising. Each boss is unique and powerful, and you will not win just by mashing attack button in this game. They all require special tactics to defeat, which is not easy to pull out but very satisfying when you do.
    The downfall of Metal Gear Rising, however, is that it is so short. Its only 6 hours! If not this game would have been a 9 out of 10. If you are an action game player you definitely want to check this game out. Its a must buy after its price has dropped.
  15. Mar 5, 2013
    Honestly at first, I only considered getting this game to spite Capcom and Ninja Theory for DmC. Then I actually watched a preview of the game. Let me tell you, I've never played any of the other MG games, So I can't speak from a hardcore MG fans perspective. But I can speak from the perspective of a hardcore hack n' slash fan. Metal Gear Rising is amazing, it has everything a hack n'Honestly at first, I only considered getting this game to spite Capcom and Ninja Theory for DmC. Then I actually watched a preview of the game. Let me tell you, I've never played any of the other MG games, So I can't speak from a hardcore MG fans perspective. But I can speak from the perspective of a hardcore hack n' slash fan. Metal Gear Rising is amazing, it has everything a hack n' slash game should have. The gameplay is fluid and fun, tons of action, the soundtrack is amazing, and I know a lot of hardcore MG fans don't like him, but I freakin love Raiden, My only criticism is the game's a little short. But whatever, it has replay value Expand
  16. Feb 25, 2013
    Game is a really great game. The game is accessible for everyone as well as caters to the metal gear fans. In terms of story, the game doesn't go too heavy on Raiden's Metal Gear Solid past, or really much of what transpired in Metal Gear history so that the story isn't too confusing to anyone who hasn't played any Metal Gear game before, but give some easter eggs from earlier metal gearGame is a really great game. The game is accessible for everyone as well as caters to the metal gear fans. In terms of story, the game doesn't go too heavy on Raiden's Metal Gear Solid past, or really much of what transpired in Metal Gear history so that the story isn't too confusing to anyone who hasn't played any Metal Gear game before, but give some easter eggs from earlier metal gear games that cater to the fans of the series. The gameplay is really the reason why it is accessible to everyone as the game is a hack n slash and everyone loves a hack n' slash. There are still some aspects of Metal Gear gameplay like stealth but those aspects are really just an option as hack n' slash is everything in this game. What's also great is that you can slash basically everything in the game. What sets this game apart is blade mode, with this, you can slash up you enemies to a million pieces when the option is given. What I really like about this aspect is that I slashed both arms of an enemy and they'll still attack me by kicking and that just reminds me of Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Other than that, bosses in this game are brilliant, I won't spoil anything, but I will say that the bosses are just brilliant. In terms of visuals, it's great in terms of what the PS3 has to offer, but I have consistency problems between cut scenes and the game itself, but that's just my thing. Music in this game is not for everyone, I know that, but I feel as though that they do fit within the game, especially the bosses. Voice acting is great, just as you would expect from a Metal gear Solid game, but one problem is Raiden's voice, especially when he becomes Jack the Ripper. Now, one more problem which is what mostly everyone comes by in this game is the camera problem, which can really problematic. You can lose your enemy due to this is just an example, I can say that this camera can really mess up your gameplay. Another thing to note is that this game runs about 4-6 hours, and it is pretty linear, but it is highly replayable. What I'm getting at is that the length of the game does not correlate the price for me. If you really want this game, and have money to burn, I would recommend getting this game at retail price, but if you're on the fence on getting this game or not have a strong resolve to get this game, I would recommend waiting till the price of the game drops to a reasonable price for you. Expand
  17. Mar 6, 2013
    Full review can be located at http://www.one-quest.com/blog/metal-gear-rising-revengeance-review/

Over the past two weeks I’ve had nothing but Metal Gear Rising on my mind. In the first look I had a handful of problems with the game, but I still maintained high hopes. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is set a few years after the events of Metal Gear Solid 4. With the patriots gone, an

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is set a few years after the events of Metal Gear Solid 4. With the patriots gone, an increase in development of nanotechnologies and cyborgs have created a higher demand for PMCs(Private Military Corporations). Raiden, a sword wielding ninja cyborg, works for a mercenary group known as Maverick. Maverick was hired with the task of working as peacekeepers for a war torn country as a new head of state is brought into power. Let’s just say that everything spirals out of control which pits Raiden and Maverick against another mercenary group known as Desperado. The plot holds together well throughout the game. Metal Gear Rising is peppered with information about Raiden’s past, references to previous Metal Gear games, and an immersive new political state in the Metal Gear universe. The script and voice acting are great, captivating, and a often humorous. They were able to throw in a few subtle jokes and flat out ridiculous moments, even in the most serious portions of the game. Although the final boss was a little bit of a stretch, I really enjoyed the story, and it nicely complements the game play. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance clearly has Kojimas charm written all over it.

Konami made a smart decision putting PlatinumGames Inc. in charge of the development. When people hear the name Metal Gear they think of that classic tactical espionage action. However, Raiden has since moved away from the tactical espionage, and more toward the action. Keeping with the tactical espionage roots there are some stealth moments in the game for Raiden, but there wasn’t much of a benefit to playing this way. I found myself running in, sword swinging, no matter what enemies lie before me. The controls aren’t configured for stealthy game play either. You do get items, such as boxes and barrels, that help you sneak around, but there isn’t much of use for them. Like I said, the focus of this game is on the action, and there are some heavy doses of action in MGR:R.
    One of the big focuses of the game is the “Blade Mode.” This ability slows time, which allows you to position your blade to cut enemies to pieces, big or small. The primary use of Blade Mode is for “Zan Datsu”, the ability to cut open an enemy and grab their cyborg spine to heal yourself and recover electrolytes. Blade Mode is also used to just cut things into small pieces. because it’s fun.
    As you play the game you’ll be able to unlock new sword abilities as well as different sub weapons, main weapons, and special items. The unlockables and upgrades are very reminiscent of games such as Bayonetta and Devil May Cry, with a bit of a Metal Gear Solid flair. You get Battle Points by getting higher grades throughout the missions, as well as cutting off specific limbs. You use the Battle Points to purchase upgrades and items. In order to unlock new weapons and special items you need to complete specific objectives, e.g. Beat the game on Hard Difficulty, Collect all I.D. Chips, or complete all VR Missions.

I’m also glad to report that there is a dodge ability which comes in handy. Unfortunately the camera does get a little confusing, but for the most part you are playing in wide open areas, so it doesn’t play a major factor past the first few, confined, areas. In the end Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is a great game, and a total blast to play. Keep in mind that this isn’t the Metal Gear we have all grown up with. The focus here is on action, although the story is still full of crazy Kojima politics. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance features a new game play style for the Metal Gear saga and it works spectacularly. While the story is a bit on the short side, about 7 hours, there’s still plenty of replay value. With new weapons and costumes to unlock, and the always daunting “perfect rating” for each level, you could spend quite a bit of time with this one. Also, the music in the game is awesome! Pay attention to the ever changing audio as you play through each mission, you’ll be impressed. The soundtrack actually features some local friends of ours, The Maniac Agenda, which makes the music that much more exciting. If this is how 2013 is going to start then we have an epic year ahead of us. Pickup, play, and enjoy Konami’s Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance.
  18. Mar 23, 2014
    I am a huge fan of the Metal Gear series! I have been ever since the days of Guns of the Patriots! I have such a great love for the series because of the character development, attention to detail and riveting stories that has graced every such Metal Gear title in the past. Sadly, Metal Gear Rising does not feature any of those things... It features dull environments, lack lusterI am a huge fan of the Metal Gear series! I have been ever since the days of Guns of the Patriots! I have such a great love for the series because of the character development, attention to detail and riveting stories that has graced every such Metal Gear title in the past. Sadly, Metal Gear Rising does not feature any of those things... It features dull environments, lack luster characters and a story that not only falls apart but fails to hit you on an any emotional level! Now don't get me wrong there is a fun hack and slash game here along with some really really cool set pieces and boss fights, you just have to get past the games many short comings first! Expand
  19. Oct 2, 2013
    Now...I'm not gonna lie I'm a little bit disappointed with this.I mean Bayonetta a game i literally had no hope for turned out to be one of my favourite hack and slashes like ever.That's not to say that this is a bad game because no it is far from bad.Raiden the dick from metal gear 2 turned badass in metal gear 4 is just as awesome in this like MGS4 however his voice actor at times inNow...I'm not gonna lie I'm a little bit disappointed with this.I mean Bayonetta a game i literally had no hope for turned out to be one of my favourite hack and slashes like ever.That's not to say that this is a bad game because no it is far from bad.Raiden the dick from metal gear 2 turned badass in metal gear 4 is just as awesome in this like MGS4 however his voice actor at times in this game...it gets beyond the word cheesy.I know Bayonetta was but at least that game did it with style anyway with the gameplay? metal gear rising is pretty f*cking fun.I wont spoil any of the weapons but some of them seem useless while others are complete badass. Now metal gear rising is nothing like any other metal gear before it hence why i keep comparing it to bayonetta with alittle more DMC: devil may cry and again that is not a bad thing.Its really fun but not at full price...now I'm pretty sure you can pick it up for like 15 pound and that is more then worth it. Expand
  20. Jun 5, 2013
    Gameplay:
    Coming from Platinum games I expected more from them. Following the release of a less than stellar DmC from Ninja Theory I expected Platinum to pick up the ball NT had dropped. Sadly I was disappointed. What we got was a QTE filled, simple two button, mash square to win, mess of a hack and Slash for the casual audience instead of something on par with Vanquish and Bayonetta.
    Gameplay:

Story:
    The story is a laughable mess that has had a backlash of fans of the MGS franchise because they have ruined Raiden (Jack da Rippah). I didn't have any claims of this because when I played MGR I hadn't played any of the MGS franchise whatsoever. I looked up which games Raiden was in in that franchise and bought the HD collection on PS3 and MGS4. After playing these games and bewildered that Raiden had done a complete 180 on terms of his characterization. I could then see why MGS fans were in outrage, it isn't much different than DMC fans angry over the angstonization of Dante in DmC. On top of the ruining of the character MGS fans have known to love I find out that his character in MGR is now officially part of the story in MGS instead of the spinoff it was slated to be.

Music:
    The music in this game fit so perfectly it was almost good. The OST is so over the top and cheesy it cannot help but be this game's overall theme
  21. Nov 20, 2013
    Its not bad, its not something a casual gamer could play. Its full of bad design choices that even a hardcore gamer cant overcome. When you have to fight 3 bosses without a single healing potion given you cut out everyone but the top players of action games. I started on normal as i do any game. It was so punishingly hard and controls weren't explained at all(i got to sam without evenIts not bad, its not something a casual gamer could play. Its full of bad design choices that even a hardcore gamer cant overcome. When you have to fight 3 bosses without a single healing potion given you cut out everyone but the top players of action games. I started on normal as i do any game. It was so punishingly hard and controls weren't explained at all(i got to sam without even using dodge or parry), unless you play a very disjointed tutorial. Stealth is a joke they added cause its near impossible. Everyone but the character sam are forgettable or stupid. It makes you feel like Raiden is the weakest character in metal gear because every fight is to much for him. Well he wasn't liked by fans and sure wont be many fans for this game. Anyway the graphic music and some scenes i will remember. But this is bargin bin purchase. I wont allow Armstrong to live in my game library. Expand
  22. Jun 27, 2013
    This is one of my favorite games ever. While it's certainly not perfect, it has a very special place in my heart due to its battle system, music, characters, unlockables, etc. Unlike some other reviewers, I believe that the things the game does right easily overshadow the things that it does wrong. The "Zandatsu" cutting system is absolutely amazing and unlike anything I've ever seen. OnceThis is one of my favorite games ever. While it's certainly not perfect, it has a very special place in my heart due to its battle system, music, characters, unlockables, etc. Unlike some other reviewers, I believe that the things the game does right easily overshadow the things that it does wrong. The "Zandatsu" cutting system is absolutely amazing and unlike anything I've ever seen. Once you start cutting, you just won't be able to stop. Aside from that, the battle system is of the typically high quality that we've come to expect from Platinum Games. The only real difference between it and, say, Bayonetta, is the lack of any kind of dodge or block button. In their place is a very interesting parry mechanic that might be a bit hard to master, but once you do it, it feels deeply satisfying to parry your opponents, and it adds a whole new level of depth to the battle system. The soundtrack is one of the best I've ever heard. The fact that I actually bought it and put most of the vocal tracks on my iPod should explain exactly what level of quality we're talking about here these are tracks that are absolutely amazing out of the game, but sound incredible when they start playing in the middle of a fight. It's also safe to say that this game features the most interesting squad of bosses seen in a "Metal Gear" title since "metal Gear Solid 3", with the cake going to Monsoon the cybernetic philosopher who can separate his body into tiny pieces and control magnetism.

Of course, many people are turned off by the length of the game not counting cutscenes or replays, the campaign can be beaten in about 4 hours. Then again, this is one of those games that are supposed to be played again and again, using different weapons, cybernetic bodies and difficulty levels. The amount of collectibles is astounding you can collect data chips, chop off left arms, hunt for Men in Boxes, look for health extensions or just try to get trophies and titles. No matter what, there's always something new you can discover on repeated playthroughs, which can make up for the short length of the campaign. There's also literally hundreds of VR missions you can try that will take at least 4 hours on their own, so if the length is the reason why you might not want to pick this up, I'd say your fears aren't entirely justified.

Bottom line if you want to play an absolutely excellent hack n slash, then ignore the trolls and look no further than Metal Gear Rising!
  23. Aug 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am currently in the mists of playing this game and from what i have seen it is a revamp version of metal gear, in the cool way featuring cyborgs, and a hack and slash ninja theme. the graphics are immense in my opinion the game play may feel a little repetitive to some with only having a few attack combos to choose from but that's all made up for with the gore and violence of the new and improved raiden :D. I played metal gear solid sons of liberty and when playing as raiden i was so bummed out i felt i would have been better playing a female character as she would have been more macho, but after playing this game i have total respect for him now he comes across so much more confident and more prepared for battle. From the story aspect im a little unsure its a little hazy to start of but as i progress the story is starting to unfold so i can not really comment much. but over all a visually stunning, hack and slash ninja game that is enjoyable by new to the metal gear series as well as metal gear followers looking for something new. Expand
  24. Sep 7, 2013
    I'm a huge fan of MGS and have been looking for something to help stave off the hunger for the next gen installment. In comes Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. Breaking away from the traditional MGS mold which mainly focuses on unparalleled storytelling that engrosses the player in an almost too-real world of corruption, in depth character designs, and plot twists galore, MGR:R takes a stabI'm a huge fan of MGS and have been looking for something to help stave off the hunger for the next gen installment. In comes Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. Breaking away from the traditional MGS mold which mainly focuses on unparalleled storytelling that engrosses the player in an almost too-real world of corruption, in depth character designs, and plot twists galore, MGR:R takes a stab at producing an over-the-top and insane gameplay experience.

And it succeeds.

I have to admit I was skeptical at first. The gameplay opens up with a relatively basic storyline (although you certainly get that Kojima feel as the story develops), and introduces you to a very well done fighting system. You quickly begin hacking, slashing, and dismembering your enemies by the dozens and it is almost frightening how much I enjoyed it. You actually maintain your health and energy levels by absorbing your enemies insides (HELL YES) and you can slow down time with the blade mode system to put more precise cuts into your enemies for extra satisfaction. The blade mode implementation plays a huge role in the game, as you will need to it overcome some of the most well done, thought out, and smart boss battles I've ever experienced.

Overall, if your an MGS fanatic like myself and you're looking for something to keep you busy while you wait for the next gen, pick this game up and give it a shot. I was pleasantly surprised by how ok I was with the different gameplay style presented here. I was still finding myself in the MG universe, and having a damn good time.
  25. Feb 26, 2013
    It last "only" for 6 hours, but the whole game is packed with action, solid graphics, great sound and music, amazing fastpaced gameplay and a intresting albeit sometimes silly story with links to actual events.
  26. Apr 25, 2013
    I'm a huge Metal Gear fan and this game is no where near as good as the main games but it's still a good game. The story isn't as interesting as the main series but good, the music is fantastic, the graphics are ok, the game-play is repetitive and linear and the game is quite short.
  27. Feb 19, 2013
    This game is stellar. This may be the fastest action game ever created (and that's a good thing) The heavy metal soundtrack only intensifies this, but the real star of the game is the ridiculously triumphant boss encounters. These are so epic and insane that I found myself explaining each one to my wife (who could care less) pantomiming katana strikes and all. If you like feeling like theThis game is stellar. This may be the fastest action game ever created (and that's a good thing) The heavy metal soundtrack only intensifies this, but the real star of the game is the ridiculously triumphant boss encounters. These are so epic and insane that I found myself explaining each one to my wife (who could care less) pantomiming katana strikes and all. If you like feeling like the ultimate badass, are a metal gear fan, or just plain love good, old school action games, go get this now! Expand
  28. Feb 23, 2013
    MG Rising, the newest game in the Metal Gear franchise, is an amazing and fun title, standing out for both its unique style and gameplay within the series or out of it.
    Story and Presentation: MGR is set in the near future (2018), four years since the events of MGS4, with Raiden serving as the main protagonist. The story of MGR and its characters is nice and well written, though it is easily one of the game's weakest points, as the story becomes more and more confusing, but that only helps MGR to develop Raiden's character. The whole story was just made to make Raiden more BADASS, and believe me, it succeed. Some points do fall short because of the story's length, and it somehow make me feel that the game is rushed 9.
    Graphics: MGR looks great, although the graphics are not ground-breaking as previous MG titles. The whole environment is so detailed and the character models look nice. There are still some screen-tearing moments, but that's alright 9.
    Soundtrack: The game's soundtrack is top-notch. The game's rocky/metal music is fitting to the whole atmosphere of the game, and it helps making you feeling so pumped while playing. Voice acting is amazing. 10.
    Gameplay Awesome swordplay and fast-action moves, MGR is so fast and f*cking fun. Hostile AI is (almost) perfect, and the game's bosses are cool, though I can say that the sole reason they exist is to make the gameplay more fun. Blade Mode is a very fun feature. *spoilers*Reaper Mode is insane*spoilers* There are still several issues with countering (AKA Parring), secondary weapons, and camera angles, but that's not stopping me from giving a 10.
    Lasting Appeal: The game is short, with the story lasting for only 6 hours at the best. HOWEVER, there are unlockable VR missions to complete and the whole story combined with insane, f*ckin' fast gameplay is just so much fun that you must replay the singleplayer more than once. 8.5
    Final score is 9.3, but I have to go with "9" (damn you MetaCritic)
  29. Feb 21, 2013
    Been quite the year already for off the wall hack and slash games, and this one is closely on par with DmC. Like much of the other hardcore MGS fans, I found this new direction hard to choke back at first but it fits with Raiden and brings some really neat mechanics to the hack and slash genre in general. Graphics are decent but have moments of looking a tad dated and I felt Raiden lookedBeen quite the year already for off the wall hack and slash games, and this one is closely on par with DmC. Like much of the other hardcore MGS fans, I found this new direction hard to choke back at first but it fits with Raiden and brings some really neat mechanics to the hack and slash genre in general. Graphics are decent but have moments of looking a tad dated and I felt Raiden looked different than in previous MGS games but meh not terribly important. The story slowy dilutes into your typical outlandish Metal Gear war theme and is quite linear which is expected. As much of the other reviews have stated as well, the environments are quite bland in most situations and the minor stealth aspects should have never been put in to begin with. Enemy AI is about on par with Turning Point and that is far from a complement. And if you haven't played that game, I envy you. All in all a bold attempt by KojiPro and Platinum and in the end it shaped up to be a lot better than what I think people had expected. Worth a rent or borrow it from a friend, an absolute buy for those who are MGS loyalists! Expand
  30. Feb 25, 2013
    My major complaint is that the game is short. And yes, it's "meant to be replayed," but approximately 3 to 4 hours of level CONTENT (not time it takes you to finish) is a lot of money per inch of level. Whenever they kick out MGR:R2, I'll be buying it, and I still highly recommend buying this one, but I really hope they add a bit more.

The mechanics of this game are rock solid. The

The mechanics of this game are rock solid. The system is probably the most fun I've ever had with an action game, although a lot more could have been done with it to add some variety. I hope to see some more innovative uses of the "cut anything" system in a sequel.

Despite people's complaints about it "ruining" the atmosphere of the metal gear games, the story isn't bottom tier. Yes, the villains are silly and not well explained and Raiden's intelligence level bounces all over the place from scene to scene, but it's not a game breaker by any means.
  31. Apr 6, 2013
    Short... Biggest downfall. But with that said. Take an action game of 10 hours shrink it to 5 and make it non-stop go go go... Add in insane fights and a psychotic hero makes me smile inside. Riaden has redeemed himself and for the first time a MGS game spin-off that is enjoyable.
  32. Feb 19, 2013
    Some of the best over the top action scenes in a game. Platinum games has made a very polished action game. The gameplay is solid, but the best part of the game is the cutscenes. I also enjoyed seeing a videogame apply some political commentary to society. Kojima was right to have platinum make this game. No one can make an action game with Japanese style like they can. Maybe capcomSome of the best over the top action scenes in a game. Platinum games has made a very polished action game. The gameplay is solid, but the best part of the game is the cutscenes. I also enjoyed seeing a videogame apply some political commentary to society. Kojima was right to have platinum make this game. No one can make an action game with Japanese style like they can. Maybe capcom will have them do the next resident evil....that would be interesting. Overall, it feels like part of the mgs universe although more of a side story, but I still enjoyed it. I would recommend to anyone a fan of the series or an action fan. Expand
  33. Feb 19, 2013
    Absolutely awesome when i played the demo of this my hopes where really high and they did not disappointing raiden is a great lead and he controls so well. Platinum games did so well and the sword gameplay is so well done. The game also still keeps the mgs feel.
  34. Feb 19, 2013
    Long review incoming.

Long review incoming.

First of all, ignore some of the reviews here, it's happening the same thing as DmC, but unfortunately the DmC fanboys are butthurt their game is "decent" at best so they have to come here and bash this game. Now for the review itself, the game will be worth your time. It is around 6-8 hours long, not too long yes, and you'll see around 4-5 hours total time in the end result, but that's simply because the game doesn't count restarts, so it's like you never died and did everything perfect, which is pretty impossible. So yeah, everyone is assuming, even "professional reviewers", that the game is only 3-4 hours long, when it simply isn't.

The game runs at 60fps and looks really nice, visual wise the game is really good, nothing bad about it.
    Another point is the camera. It isn't that great, but people simply need to learn how to use the damn right analog stick, and it'll be ok.

The combat is alright, it's fast and full of action. Combos aren't perfect, but they're good enough. There's a counter function, which works as intended, and a dodge, although it could've been better implemented. I don't like how once you get unique weapons, you use them with a dedicated button (as in, Square will light attack with the HF Blade and Triangle will use the unique weapon) and it's not a full replacement.
    Blade mode is fun, and a great addition. Who doesn't like to cut people into bits? :D

Boss battles are amazing. They're really intense and the music in them really gets you pumped.
    Speaking of music, it is amazing. It's obviously different from past Metal Gear games, and as such, it fits in perfectly.

The story is good, it happens 3 years after the events of MGS4, although I'm gonna be honest and say I expected atleast a reference to Solid Snake in a cutscene or codec, or maybe Otacon, seeing as Sunny is in. Some characters are interesting, mainly bosses, while a few others can be forgettable.

Overall, it is a nice addition to the Metal Gear series, a great game in my opinion, not without it's flaws though. Even so, I rate this game a 9/10, you won't be disappointed if you're a Metal Gear fan, or a HnS fan for that matter.
  35. Feb 19, 2013
    I had low expectations regarding this game, despite that it turned out to be amazing. 60 fps non-stop action has some never before seen features. It kept me hooked from start to finish. Story and characters belong in MGS universe. Cheesy but soo good. If you love MGS and open for a new slasher experience don't miss on this game!
  36. Jul 12, 2013
    This game is truly bad. I've beaten over 130 different games in my lifetime, so I'm not just trashing this lightly. I'm also a big Metal Gear fan, all the way back to NES games. This however, should not be confused with a true Metal Gear game. This is some nightmare come to life. As HateApe points out in his review, this is a hack and slash. But, BUT, this is not even a poor hack andThis game is truly bad. I've beaten over 130 different games in my lifetime, so I'm not just trashing this lightly. I'm also a big Metal Gear fan, all the way back to NES games. This however, should not be confused with a true Metal Gear game. This is some nightmare come to life. As HateApe points out in his review, this is a hack and slash. But, BUT, this is not even a poor hack and slash. This is a terrible hack and slash. You can slice a bridge in half, but can't jump up on it to move forward. You can slice through cars and solid steel, but that dry wall covered wall is too tough for your sword. The controls are horrible. The enemies, specifically bossfights, are ridiculous. The controls are already bad, but oh please, now have me hit entirely different keys that you put up on screen because that makes so much sense. I played the Xbox demo and thank goodness, because that was 30 min of my life I will never get back. You like this genre stick with Devil May Cry, Heavenly Sword, God of War, etc. Expand
  37. Feb 27, 2013
    i feel sad that real gaming critics rate this game so low because they think its broken, the gameplay in rising is leaps and bounds beyond anything else this generation except for platinums bayonetta. I might actually follow the websites that are honoring this game, thank you platinum games along with from soft ware u show me that hardcore gamers will always be appreciated :D
  38. Feb 28, 2013
    This new direction for Metal Gear has the potential for greatness. With more diversity, i.e.,
    open-world exploration, an expanded stealth component, varied locales, etc., this could be
    a top-tier series. The thunderstorm combat in Rising is fast, deep, and strategic. Incredibly fun!
  39. Mar 21, 2014
    I don't know why Platinum has to make every game have a more convoluted control scheme than the last. This "learning curve" has nothing to do with real skill and only artificially produces difficulty by implementing nonsensical rules. The idiot that decided that having your parry ability bound to the same stick that requires movement should just stop making games. Mobility during combat isI don't know why Platinum has to make every game have a more convoluted control scheme than the last. This "learning curve" has nothing to do with real skill and only artificially produces difficulty by implementing nonsensical rules. The idiot that decided that having your parry ability bound to the same stick that requires movement should just stop making games. Mobility during combat is limited and frustrating, the graphics (outside of flashy character models) are atrocious and the story is absurd, even for a Metal Gear game. The protagonist is an outright, egotistical douche. Glad I waited for this game until it was in the bargain bin, where it belongs. Expand
  40. Feb 24, 2013
    So, Platinum Games doing a spin-off of the Metal Gear series, and doing it in a rather controversial stance (as much action as stealth, and even more!!), and for what seems like a game stuck forever in development hell it doesn't really bode well for this game, if you believe the history. So its refreshing then, to find out that Revengeance is not only Platinum Games' first classic titleSo, Platinum Games doing a spin-off of the Metal Gear series, and doing it in a rather controversial stance (as much action as stealth, and even more!!), and for what seems like a game stuck forever in development hell it doesn't really bode well for this game, if you believe the history. So its refreshing then, to find out that Revengeance is not only Platinum Games' first classic title since the mighty mighty Vanquish, its possibly the best title to have come out this year so far!! The graphics are a mix, in that the characters and effects are beautiful, but the backdrops are rather drab, and there are also some moments of pop-in and framerate loss on occasions too. The sound veers between the rather good music, which is standard j-rock, and very good effects. However, the gameplay is where its at!! The gameplay can be played mainly to your desires of out-and-out carnage or stealth (there are moments, especially the bosses, when this cannot be avoided however), and the campaign isn't really that long but in the best traditions of Vanquish, its whats achieved within that short time, and it never bores!! Couple this with the VR missons a clever mix between gradually learning your abilities, and beating your friend's times, and upping your characters stats (surprizingly compulsive might I add), and you have a game that has a genuinely breathtaking amount of depth at times I found myself pondering over my character's abilites in a way similar to Demon's Souls (and thats a compliment by the way). Raiden's first solo spin-off is far from the disappointment that was feared, and Platinum Games have delivered magnificently. It may not be (quite) the visual powerhouse that many may have expected, and no, its not Metal Gear Solid 5 (by any means at all), but its a fun powerhouse of action, and Konami were right in doing this. Severely, recommended. Expand
  41. Feb 20, 2013
    I'll give this game a 8, but I think 7.5 would be more appropriate.
    The thing is that this game is just silly. It lasts only 4 and a half hours, has very primitive and strange stealth mechanic, but this all is compensated by nice gameplay and engaging music which are both very different then anything series has ever experienced.
    But my personal main problem with the game is the plot and
    I'll give this game a 8, but I think 7.5 would be more appropriate.
    But my personal main problem with the game is the plot and a way it is presented to us...
    Right after Raiden loses his eye and arm to Sam and is left bleeding on a train the chapter ends and right after that next chapter starts with Raiden already rebuilt and ready for action... Why Why couldn't we have seen him in a process of being rebuilt, with Rose and little John come to visit him, with Raiden constantly having dreams of Solidus making him do terrible things WHY It could've add up to the story so many interesting details and drama The same goes for all Desperado LLC. guys... For example Monsoon comes from nowhere, without explaining his own motivations, without giving us at least some details of his backstory Same goes for everyone in this game The game doesn't give you details, doesn't give you those long interesting cutscenes with characters interacting with each other, talking, fighting and what little plot is explained can be explained only through Codec calls which are (thank God) present in here.
    This could have been a much more interesting game if there was more plot, more details, more universe to it. Without this I can't really say this is a good Metal Gear game. Just a good action game in it's own right. That is all there is.
  42. Feb 28, 2013
    This game represents what the current games industry lacks. Everyone is making games more and more mainstream, they take no risks. With Rising, Platinum games went all out making one of the best looking, controlling, sounding (the soundtrack is amazing!!!), and story driven games of quite some time. As a Metal Gear Solid fan this feels true to the Metal Gear universe as well as Raiden.This game represents what the current games industry lacks. Everyone is making games more and more mainstream, they take no risks. With Rising, Platinum games went all out making one of the best looking, controlling, sounding (the soundtrack is amazing!!!), and story driven games of quite some time. As a Metal Gear Solid fan this feels true to the Metal Gear universe as well as Raiden. Anyone who complains obviously forgot Raiden's fight scenes in MGS4 as well as the lack of Solid in the title. I would love to see a sequel to this, it is one of the few games in recent memories that was actually fun to play. A lot of games feel like a chore, lacking inspiration and you just keep pushing yourself playing just so you feel like you don't waste your money. Rising on the other hand I just kept playing, wanting to hear more of the amazing music and take part in more boss battles. The length was also perfect as well, the story kept progressing and didn't outstay it's welcome. Great work Platinum Games and Kojima Productions for making this game come to life. Expand
  43. Feb 20, 2013
    Quality vs Quantity?? We will see how Metal Gear Rising holds up ups.

Quality vs Quantity?? We will see how Metal Gear Rising holds up ups.

First off, Metal Gear Rising: Revengance is the best action game I have ever played. I went into the game withfairly high hopes and expectations, expessally since I heard Platium games was taking of the project. The gameplay is fast paced, fluid, exciting, and engaging. I there so little to be said about the game with giving way huge gameplay spoilers. If you like fun games, Metal Gear fan or Metal Gear fan (everyone likes Metal Gear!). You owe it to yourself to play through this. I felt it was worth the full price tag. I start the game on hard, and it took me about day, clocked at 7 hours (not including my deaths). and the game was actually hard.

Probably what ninja gaiden 3 should have been, But over all, great game. And enjoy
  44. Feb 23, 2013
    It`s very important to understand Metal Gear Rising as an autonomous Universe and not as a part of the Metal Gear Solid Saga himself. That being said, Metal Gear Rising is an outstanding Hack'n'Slay with lots of Action and humor, combined with an awesome Soundtrack for the fluent fighting system and the beautiful visuals. Neither doubt nor fear is left Hideo Kojima still is one of theIt`s very important to understand Metal Gear Rising as an autonomous Universe and not as a part of the Metal Gear Solid Saga himself. That being said, Metal Gear Rising is an outstanding Hack'n'Slay with lots of Action and humor, combined with an awesome Soundtrack for the fluent fighting system and the beautiful visuals. Neither doubt nor fear is left Hideo Kojima still is one of the biggest Masterminds in video game history, who was created a great game for Raiden which he deserves. Expand
  45. Feb 21, 2013
    I think this game was a wonderful piece once again confirming the idea that games are art. The design is flawless. The graphics and gameplay are very well polished. The animations are excellent. People here are just whining because it's too hard for them. I haven't had this much fun in a Metal Gear game for years, and I've been an MG fan for almost 15 years.
  46. Feb 22, 2013
    Take in account that this is not your typical Metal Gear game but that doesn't mean die hard fans of the series should look down on it,this is a extremely fun game with an excellent story and fun hack n' slash gameplay that makes you feel like a cybernetic bad ass while playing it. The soundtrack is awesome and the boss battles are truly epic, on the negative side the camera work canTake in account that this is not your typical Metal Gear game but that doesn't mean die hard fans of the series should look down on it,this is a extremely fun game with an excellent story and fun hack n' slash gameplay that makes you feel like a cybernetic bad ass while playing it. The soundtrack is awesome and the boss battles are truly epic, on the negative side the camera work can cause some issues during fights and can get annoying at some point but nothing to drastically hurt the game also the game is really short and could be finished in a few hours in one sitting. In the end Metal Gear Rising is a pretty solid game! Expand
  47. Feb 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A new take on the Metal Gear series... while it's certainly not my favorite of Platinum games (Which for me would be Bayonetta) It certainly keeps you entertained and remains constantly addictive. The combat system is great, decent story still including Metal Gear traditions and it's good to see some old friends return while making new ones. A downfall would be the customization design, especially with outfits. You have to buy amour with BP (Battle Points instead of Drebin Points) even if you've paid extra money for the MGS4 suit or even the ones that come when you Pre-order. The length slightly limits the game but it doesn't make it any less fun. I can't wait for more. Expand
  48. Mar 1, 2013
    the best sword game this gen so far one word describe this hilarious epic game LIGHTNING BOLT
  49. Jan 10, 2014
    I can't understand the mostly good reception. I have played a lot genre similar games recently like the new new DMC, Batman Arkham Asylum or even Mutant Ninja Turtles. This game can't even get close to one of them neither storywise or in fighting dynamics. The Graphics are practicable though not great, for they don't have but not very detailed. Some of the Enemy are OK to fight, but it'sI can't understand the mostly good reception. I have played a lot genre similar games recently like the new new DMC, Batman Arkham Asylum or even Mutant Ninja Turtles. This game can't even get close to one of them neither storywise or in fighting dynamics. The Graphics are practicable though not great, for they don't have but not very detailed. Some of the Enemy are OK to fight, but it's mostly dull gameplay the dialogue is not relevant, the characters are just stereotypes sticked together.
    I would not buy this game again.
  50. Feb 2, 2014
    One of the worst H&S games. Combat is awful. The block and counter mechanics is brain dead and only works half the time. Other then good graphics this game delivers nothing good what so ever. Waste of money and time. Once a again, a useless game have been made. The score is completely from the graphic and performance perspective. Game-play deserves nothing.
  51. Feb 19, 2013
    Game is fun. Cutting mechanism is as promised. Graphics and animations are ok, only levels designs feel empty and uninspired. Good character creations, feels like Kojima himself put some of his genius into it. There is some atmosphere of MGS frenchise. Combat system is simple, but the trick of zendetsu and arms cutting makes it much more interesting. Its very short, too short. Story is 5-6Game is fun. Cutting mechanism is as promised. Graphics and animations are ok, only levels designs feel empty and uninspired. Good character creations, feels like Kojima himself put some of his genius into it. There is some atmosphere of MGS frenchise. Combat system is simple, but the trick of zendetsu and arms cutting makes it much more interesting. Its very short, too short. Story is 5-6 hours max.
    The game leaves excellent base for slasher of the incoming next gens.
  52. Feb 20, 2013
    This is a solid game (no pun intended). While the camera and dialogue are bad and the game is short, it is still an overall good game. Growing up with boss fights, it is good to see Revengence has some really good ones. The action is overall great. The story and dialogue are no worse than other imported Japanese games. Controls are good once you get used to them. Revengence is and is not aThis is a solid game (no pun intended). While the camera and dialogue are bad and the game is short, it is still an overall good game. Growing up with boss fights, it is good to see Revengence has some really good ones. The action is overall great. The story and dialogue are no worse than other imported Japanese games. Controls are good once you get used to them. Revengence is and is not a Metal Gear game. From the beginning, Kojima said it was an action title. And that is exactly what we got. If they can make the possible sequel longer by at least four hours, fix the camera so it works better and rework the story a bit, the game could be a triple AAA title that can stand on its own. Expand
  53. Feb 19, 2013
    This is a stylist game and i have think the kind of game platinum produces is both good and have the Japanese taste and story that I like. I feel you should definitely buy MGS rising
  54. Feb 19, 2013
    this game is pretttyyy prettyy preetttttyyy good.... i usually dont go for these types of games but i had to get this one, and i do not regret my purchase
  55. Feb 21, 2013
    Awesome. Annoyed by the j-rock at times, and the villains are dumber than usual for this franchise (which is kind of saying a lot)... Really fun gaming, though. Fully lives up to the Metal Gear name. Don't listen to the hate and check it out.
  56. Feb 23, 2013
    A lot of fun to be had here. Finishing off enemies is satisfying. I started on hard, as I typically do with most games, and this game isn't too challenging yet, but that's not to say I haven't died several times. Obviously this is nothing like other Metal Gear games and it isn't supposed to be, so as long as you understand that this is a different type of game entirely you shouldn't beA lot of fun to be had here. Finishing off enemies is satisfying. I started on hard, as I typically do with most games, and this game isn't too challenging yet, but that's not to say I haven't died several times. Obviously this is nothing like other Metal Gear games and it isn't supposed to be, so as long as you understand that this is a different type of game entirely you shouldn't be disappointed by that. I've seen many complaints that it is short, which may be true, but I've already put 10 hours into the game and I'm only on chapter 3. I like to explore, listen to codec conversations (not for too long but but I like to listen for a few minutes here and there) and play the unlockable VR missions as I progress through the game. If you play on a difficulty that's challenging for you and you don't speed through as quick as you can, I suspect the game will last you a good while. If you know that you really enjoy action games like Bayonetta, as I did, then there is a good chance that you will really enjoy this game too. If you're just a Metal Gear fan and are thinking of picking this one up just because it's a Metal Gear game, you might want to try renting it first to see if you're really going to have fun with this. I'm very happy with my day 1 purchase even though I know the price will drop after not too long. From an objective standpoint it's a solid game and worth at least checking out. Expand
  57. Feb 19, 2013
    First at all: Why are all the bad reviews like: "Buy DmC instead". Listen, the reason I buy MGR is because it's the next installment in the Metal Gear Franchise, a franchise which I love, and I won't buy it just to slash some cyborgs, event though it is an adrenaline boost sometimes But let's get to the game: It's good, I actually expected it already after I've completed the demo the 10thFirst at all: Why are all the bad reviews like: "Buy DmC instead". Listen, the reason I buy MGR is because it's the next installment in the Metal Gear Franchise, a franchise which I love, and I won't buy it just to slash some cyborgs, event though it is an adrenaline boost sometimes But let's get to the game: It's good, I actually expected it already after I've completed the demo the 10th time. What I hate about other H&S games is that you focus on the battle, you want the perfect result with that one very difficult combo. It's not like this in MGR. The combat system is simple, but that doesn't mean it's not exciting, the Zan Datsu system is just epic. When you're fighting and you Zan Datsu multiple enemies, or an enemy on a special way (e.g. sliding with parrying) you are just feeling the adrenaline in your body and you will be like, YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH. The bosses' personality is inspired from earlier MG games, but fighting them is, obviously, different. Fighting every boss is different because the environment, fighting style of the boss (and the soundtrack on the background is always different. The story is good as well, it's obvious that the ingenius mind of Hideo Kojima is involved with it. You will meet new characters, but encounter old friends as well, but I'm not going to spoil anything. I agree it's a little bit on the short side, but it was not reason for me to not buy it, nor it should for you. Expand
  58. Feb 19, 2013
    Great hack and slash fun, great graphics and smooth 60 fps. I only wish they had stayed with the original project that was MGS: Rising but MGR: Reveangence is a a great game in itself. This is probably the best game that will come out this year.
  59. Mar 9, 2013
    I made a video review for this game, which you can check out here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x2-ZU0K2VI

The good:
    -Fun
    -The best animation I've seen in a game
    -Amazing character designs
    -Music

The bad:
    -Camera gets wonky
    -The dialogue sucks
    -Voice acting is mediocre
  60. Feb 19, 2013
    this game is just awesome. it is a brand new next generation game concept. it provides plenty of choices and customization. At first, I wasn`t very sure about this, but is KOJIMA, AND KOJIMA NEVER FAILS! Platinum Games takes Metal Gear to a whole new genre with this masterpiece. The blade mechanic is amazing (more accurate and precise than the one in the demo) and the combat is so intese.this game is just awesome. it is a brand new next generation game concept. it provides plenty of choices and customization. At first, I wasn`t very sure about this, but is KOJIMA, AND KOJIMA NEVER FAILS! Platinum Games takes Metal Gear to a whole new genre with this masterpiece. The blade mechanic is amazing (more accurate and precise than the one in the demo) and the combat is so intese. Also, the soundtrack of this game is one of the bes soundtrack I`ve ever heard in a game. JAPAN GAMING LIVES! Expand
  61. May 16, 2013
    I've been gaming for over 15 years now across all consoles released in my lifetime including PC, and it is safe to say that this is the worst game I have ever played.

Horrible level designs. Too linear. Too many invisible walls. Same recycled textures and objects over and over. Players can't even explore the few side routes because of the visor that sees through walls and picks out enemies and treasure for you eliminating all of the fun.

Gameplay is equally bad. There is no reason to use one combo over another except area of effect attacks vs. single target ones. Blocking is atrocious. Timing isn't that difficult; it's the terrible controls that make it so horrendous. Blocking is done by holding the left joystick in the direction of the enemy attacking you and pressing light attack. If enemies are too far (which most of the time they are), Raiden just runs at them and gets hit. The mechanic is meant to flow seamlessly with combat, but it doesn't at all. It interrupts the action. It's impossible to avoid damage when multiple enemies are attacking you at once from all sides. The camera is terrible which results in the player getting hit by enemies they can't even see.

The story is actually pretty good. The dialogue is well written and funny (think cheesy self aware action movie). It also includes some insightful comments that are relevant in the world today. Cutscenes look amazing with all sorts of particle effects and well choreographed over the top fights.

In closing, this game is a button masher that requires zero skill. Blocking ruins the game and blade mode is a shallow gimmick. The dodge mechanic is the best way of avoiding damage but it still doesn't work as well as it should. I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone unless they are getting it for around $10.
  62. Feb 19, 2013
    I like this game, this game is good. Bit short, but massive replay value. It is also fun. Very fun. Tell your friends. 'This game is fun' I like it a lot because there is a lot of fun in it. If you have not guessed, this game is fun. And I think it is fun. I'M GOOD AT REVIEWS!
  63. Feb 19, 2013
    a great game.gameplay is solid with very few minor issues.camera can be an issue sometime but you can work your way around it.codec calls that disrupt your movement also annoyed me.other than these everything else was flawless.the game shines through its combat which is very smooth running on 60fps.combos,skills,extra weapons gives lots to experiment with. you really have to be on alert toa great game.gameplay is solid with very few minor issues.camera can be an issue sometime but you can work your way around it.codec calls that disrupt your movement also annoyed me.other than these everything else was flawless.the game shines through its combat which is very smooth running on 60fps.combos,skills,extra weapons gives lots to experiment with. you really have to be on alert to block attacks or you will die, especially on the harder modes.You cannot button mash through this game especially in revengeance mode where one or two hits can mean death.music is astounding and syncs with the gameplay so well in boss fights,the music amps up as the battles progresses getting you pumped up as the fight ends,wished more developers use music like this. after the main campaign there are plenty of extra unlockables,costumes,vr missions,harder difficulties,and unlocking concept arts.took me 7-8 hrs to beat without listening to the codec calls which will probably add a couple extra more hours as majority of the dialouge in the game is there. H&S fans will love this game and the challenge it brings and metal gear fans should give this a try. Expand
  64. Feb 20, 2013
    An amazing spinoff, with solid graphics, solid game play, and over the top action! A must own for any "true" Metal Gear fan. My dream of playing as a cyborg ninja has final came to fruition :-D Cut through the crap! Don't believe the haters and get this game for what it is...one of the best action games ever made, with one of gaming's greatest characters. Thank you, Hideo and platinum games
  65. Mar 6, 2013
    This is THE game to get for the best action hack and slash this year!
    This is THE game to get for the best action hack and slash this year!
    Yea it might be a little short but within that short time you will be cutting up enemies upside down, battling big ass crazy mecs fighting robotic killer dogs with chainsaws and jumping on missiles to shred choppers. Not to sound like a deranged psycho but It just never gets old cutting enemies up to tine bits and ripping their spine out before they hit the ground. Just get this game!
  66. Feb 26, 2013
    An amazing spinoff game of the legendary Metal Gear series. Has great boss battles, some are easy but some are very challenging, it also have an great battle and boss soundtracks that makes the battle flow better, the graphics is also fantastic and the codec convo's are also pretty interesting. Zandatsu mode can be repetitive but it has its moments. The only downside is the camera, whichAn amazing spinoff game of the legendary Metal Gear series. Has great boss battles, some are easy but some are very challenging, it also have an great battle and boss soundtracks that makes the battle flow better, the graphics is also fantastic and the codec convo's are also pretty interesting. Zandatsu mode can be repetitive but it has its moments. The only downside is the camera, which can be sometimes be annoying but in overall a terrific game. Expand
  67. Mar 11, 2013
    Rising Revengeance is one of those hack and slash action games that appear simple on the surface, until you delve into the juicy depths below. You will start out button spamming your way through fights before learning the inner intricacies of the engine. Blade mode is the most obvious and touted addition, allowing you to manually slice, whilst the action is momentarily stilted. The affectsRising Revengeance is one of those hack and slash action games that appear simple on the surface, until you delve into the juicy depths below. You will start out button spamming your way through fights before learning the inner intricacies of the engine. Blade mode is the most obvious and touted addition, allowing you to manually slice, whilst the action is momentarily stilted. The affects of blade mode depend largely on your suit's power storage. Parrying is also an art worth mastering, though not a complete necessity for completion. As you progress, you gain access to more powerful weapons like a heavy blade for maximum damage, and lighter weapons such as the Sai, which is great for flashy attacks. MGS Rising congeals elements from Platinum's own established slashers like Bayonetta and mixes them with MGS tropes. Where this is most evident is with codec calls and cardboard boxes being used in stealth, meshing with the exhilarating combos of the former. Stealth itself is a minor element in Revengeance, offsetting the base combat. Stealth works very well, and is simple to master- though there are no hidden depths to it, which charge the action in other areas of Revengeance. The game can be visually striking too, with hulking boss battles, which are few, but memorable. The colours bouncing off screen while you fight give the essence of power to your blade thrusting- which looks dazzling in motion. The only dings are that the difficulty spikes on higher settings tend to drag you into frustration, and a main game which is remarkably brief- especially towards the end. But Revengeance is a shining case of quality over quantity, where finesse and skill are rewarded in spades and diligence pays off massively. Expand
  68. May 30, 2013
    The manliest game I have ever played! Addictive! Fun! Entertaining! Running and Slicing everything in to thousand pieces has never been so fun! "Cut at will". Excellent spin-off!! This is a great addition to metal gear games. But it's not perfect. The game is very short but it doesn't feel short because the game evolves itself so often. The story is also pretty weak(like in a action-film)The manliest game I have ever played! Addictive! Fun! Entertaining! Running and Slicing everything in to thousand pieces has never been so fun! "Cut at will". Excellent spin-off!! This is a great addition to metal gear games. But it's not perfect. The game is very short but it doesn't feel short because the game evolves itself so often. The story is also pretty weak(like in a action-film) but still entertaining. But you must remember that Hideo Kojima did not direct and write this one and that is the one main reasons why the story is weak. And just to remind. This is not a metal gear SOLID game just a spin-off and great one. Expand
  69. Mar 6, 2013
    This game deserves a second slice! Metal Gear Rising is pretty fantastic. Boss fights are insane for me, so as VR missions. The graphics looked very sharped! What a Perfect Weapon out of this world! It was very insane for any Metal Gear fan!
  70. Feb 20, 2013
    An awesome game.
    1. Awesome hack n slash gameplay with plenty of stealth segments that pay off if you go through with them.
    2. AMAZING SET PIECES AND QUICK TIME EVENTS THAT DONT SUCK. 3. An incredible soundtrack especially for the epic bosses. 4. Likeable and crazy/funny characters and villians(typical of a metal gear game) AS a huge MGS fan, i love this game. Its awesome being able
    An awesome game.
    2. AMAZING SET PIECES AND QUICK TIME EVENTS THAT DONT SUCK.
    3. An incredible soundtrack especially for the epic bosses.

AS a huge MGS fan, i love this game. Its awesome being able to control every slice of Raidens sword and the over-all high quality of this game is something that you should really check out for yourself. Like hack n slash action? THEN THIS GAME IS A MUST HAVE.
  71. Mar 5, 2013
    The HacknSlash genre, more than any other, represents what video games really are all about, in their purest unadulterated form FUN! Of course, the game needs to not suck, and MGSR is awesome.
  72. Mar 19, 2013
    I kinda wish I would've waited a year to purchase this one at apx. $20 opposed to full price. Repititious is an understatement. The entire (short) game is spent button mashing, with little to no attention paid to tactics. I have been a big fan of the old-school Metal Gear Solid franchise and I love the tactical yet badassedness of snake. This one, however, just seems to use visual ploys toI kinda wish I would've waited a year to purchase this one at apx. $20 opposed to full price. Repititious is an understatement. The entire (short) game is spent button mashing, with little to no attention paid to tactics. I have been a big fan of the old-school Metal Gear Solid franchise and I love the tactical yet badassedness of snake. This one, however, just seems to use visual ploys to convince people that it is comparably fun. I mean, yea, the graphics look great... congrats. I bought this one based on its Metascore, and you let me down this time. Expand
  73. Nov 4, 2013
    It's my first Platinum Games' title that I played and its good. I mean it's really good! It has great combat mechanics with awesome blade mode cuts and parrying system that is unforgivable on the hardest difficulty but also makes game really satisfying! Boss battles and music are really great too and it brings more and more ways to beat them if you collect up special items like ID-leftIt's my first Platinum Games' title that I played and its good. I mean it's really good! It has great combat mechanics with awesome blade mode cuts and parrying system that is unforgivable on the hardest difficulty but also makes game really satisfying! Boss battles and music are really great too and it brings more and more ways to beat them if you collect up special items like ID-left hands or data storage chips that unlock new weapons and outfits for Raiden. The storyline is decent but it has many funny connections to Metal Gear Solid games like option to speak to your crew on "codec" while fighting with boss or anywhere else. The only really disadvantage is that the game ends really quickly (about 3-6h, depends on player skill) but still its worth an attention to slasher fans. Expand
  74. Feb 19, 2013
  75. Feb 19, 2013
    WORTH EVERY PENNY! One of the best hack n slash games of this ganeration. So much fun with slashing enemies, environment with you katana blade. Although, don't buy Xbox 360 version if you have PS3. Microsoft console version have worse looking cut scenes than PS 3 version. In terms of gameplay they are the same. 60 FPS of instant action!
  76. Feb 22, 2013
    presentation: 10 control:10 practice perry -and you will love it
    Sound: it does not get better than this--the sound constantly adjust it self to your fighting style.
    gameplay:10 Fun -multiple paths, multiple options of fighting nice backtracking elements,fun score system hidden goodies, unlock ables, very nice replay value. Last comments:this is for MG fans and simply people trying
    presentation: 10 control:10 practice perry -and you will love it
    hidden goodies, unlock ables, very nice replay value.

Last comments:this is for MG fans and simply people trying to get a good action game-it offers a new unique style of game play that allows you to create your own fighting style in the most brutal way.
  77. Feb 20, 2013
    Platinum proves that they can make games. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance seems like it would be a dud. But, this title is definitely worth playing. If you're not entirely sold, just download the demo! I quiet enjoy Raiden as a character and I think he deserved his own title to show a little more on his background. Gameplay Crazy, over the top and absolutely fun! Slicing away at will justPlatinum proves that they can make games. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance seems like it would be a dud. But, this title is definitely worth playing. If you're not entirely sold, just download the demo! I quiet enjoy Raiden as a character and I think he deserved his own title to show a little more on his background. Gameplay Crazy, over the top and absolutely fun! Slicing away at will just never gets tiring.
    Story Raiden is "revealed" and his "jack the ripper" persona gets a little spotlight. A tad short and little bit rushed for me (As I wanted more!!) But, overall a satisfying story.
    Conclusion If you are a little disappointed because it's not a true "Metal Gear" game, well look again. It's not supposed to be true to Metal Gear as Kojima stated it's an entirely new package featuring Raiden. If you are a big hack and slash fan with and love action then this is the game for you!
  78. Feb 19, 2013
    This is a spin off game in the Metal Gear universe. It tells the story of Raiden and his quest for revenge. If anyone has played Bayonetta then your in for a treat because Platinum Games are the developers of Rising. The gamplay itself is unique and awesome and the story is from Kojima. They kept the source material intact unlike what Ninja Theory/Capcom did with DmC, which they crap on itThis is a spin off game in the Metal Gear universe. It tells the story of Raiden and his quest for revenge. If anyone has played Bayonetta then your in for a treat because Platinum Games are the developers of Rising. The gamplay itself is unique and awesome and the story is from Kojima. They kept the source material intact unlike what Ninja Theory/Capcom did with DmC, which they crap on it and threw it out the window and by the way is a terrible hack and slash game compared to MGR....lets just say it doesn't even measure up MGR.... Platinum Games should be the only ones developing Devil May Cry and get the fans what they want. MGR has tons of replay value and is the best hack/slash of 2013...eat it Ninja Theory/Capcom!! Expand
  79. Feb 20, 2013
    Terrible first impression. Dated graphics- how can people think these are good graphics? Look at the ground, look at a wall, look at the majority of objects- these are graphics from 5 years ago. And a bad camera until you get used to it and learn how to lock/unlock as needed. Still a bad camera though. But the gameplay totally gets better and better as time goes on. Get into a zone andTerrible first impression. Dated graphics- how can people think these are good graphics? Look at the ground, look at a wall, look at the majority of objects- these are graphics from 5 years ago. And a bad camera until you get used to it and learn how to lock/unlock as needed. Still a bad camera though. But the gameplay totally gets better and better as time goes on. Get into a zone and just enjoy the sweet spot. Expand
  80. Feb 19, 2013
    The pros: Visuals are extremely smooth, look nice at 60 fps, character models have that distinct Platinum Games sheen to them where they look smooth and pleasant. Some of the music is pretty good. Gameplay is very fun and the parry/block mechanic keeps you on your toes. Cutting things feels much better than it did in Afro Samurai. Game is ACTUALLY difficulty on higher difficulties, moreThe pros: Visuals are extremely smooth, look nice at 60 fps, character models have that distinct Platinum Games sheen to them where they look smooth and pleasant. Some of the music is pretty good. Gameplay is very fun and the parry/block mechanic keeps you on your toes. Cutting things feels much better than it did in Afro Samurai. Game is ACTUALLY difficulty on higher difficulties, more than what can be said of DmC Devil May Cry. Bosses are fun and cool aside from Monsoon. There's a ton of replay value with moves and weapons to unlock, and like all Platinum Games it's definitely a score attack gamer's dream. The cons: The characters. Your codec crew is likable enough but Raiden is the worst he's ever been and the villains aren't much better (the Japanese voice for Mistral makes me cum though). The story is awful, I never expected it to be anything else though so no surprises here. There's QTEs all over place, and enemies attack from offscreen which means you'll need good control over the camera or a sixth sense to play the game. Some of the mechanics weren't explained all that well. The ninja run wall jumping is finicky and often doesn't work and there's no way to block machine gun fire other than ninja running. The stealth feels like it was tacked on to please MGS fanboys who whined about the game, there's really nothing to it. The game gives you bonus points to buy stuff with when you cut off limbs but it NEVER seems to grade this properly, try as you will to specifically cut off the left arm or wrist or whatever but it'll just say DESTROYED 100 every time, and if you're lucky you'll get an L ARM 100. Zandatsu is needed to get an S rank which I personally don't agree with. S ranks are quite a bit ridiculous to come by, they require you to get it BEYOND perfection and can sometimes seem like they require dumb luck. Konami plans on nickel and diming you for this game with tons of DLC.
    All in all it's a solid action game.
  81. Feb 19, 2013
    Dont consider this a MGS game, is not, is a game just like DMC or Bayonetta so dont about it. (@doshgaming12 why would you skip the cutscenes thats the whole essence of an MGS, even when this is not made by the same company the story is being checked by the the maker, wich i dont remember the name, well you lost your money what can i say
  82. May 4, 2013
    I think it’s safe to say that none of us were expecting an honest and direct Metal Gear Solid game. I think it’s additionally safe to say that anyone with realistic expectations of MGR:R booted-up the game with an open mind and realization that this was a spin-off; not a sequel/prequel. With a great deal of artistic license taken by Platinum, however, what became the final MGR:R productI think it’s safe to say that none of us were expecting an honest and direct Metal Gear Solid game. I think it’s additionally safe to say that anyone with realistic expectations of MGR:R booted-up the game with an open mind and realization that this was a spin-off; not a sequel/prequel. With a great deal of artistic license taken by Platinum, however, what became the final MGR:R product is essentially only a Metal Gear game in the sense that it says so on the box art and title screen. The first thing many Metal Gear fans will note is the extreme use of blood and cringe-worthy use of profanity. Let it be said that I am not squeamish nor do I pull punches linguistically in my daily vocabulary. Raiden’s once underlying rage comes to the surface in MGR:R as he plunges and slashes his sword though nearly everything he sees—living, inanimate, or otherwise. The marketing tagline for this game is “cut what you will”. No lie! This game allows the player to slice and dice almost every object in the game in some fashion. In that sense, the game achieves a definite cool factor and is probably the most fun aspect. But Metal Gear games have always demanded more for themselves and thusly provided a deeper experience for the gamer. And that, dear readers, is where MGR:R fails. Again, we knew it would be a hack-and-slasher, but it is ONLY a hack-and-slasher. I find the controls in this game a little funky to get used to. Halfway through the game, I still hadn’t reached the point where I could relax from mentally concentrating on every single button push. The options menu offers three mildly differing control maps, but I find each one to be a bit clumsy. Again, a comparison to the controls of Vanquish cannot be ignored. The control scheme makes extensive use of both analog sticks, shoulder buttons, and four-button layout while the D-pad plays a lesser role of menu scrolling and item selection. The major problem I have concerns the camera control. The camera floats way too much and there is little to do to remedy it, especially in moments of intense combat when you’re surrounded by four separate attackers. There is a target lock option, but I find that it has very little effect and actually impedes battle effectiveness. The player has the ability to enter a bullet-time phase where they can freely slash away at a target for an almost obscene combination of hits which is probably the game’s best feature. There’s nothing quite like jumping over a helicopter in mid-air and calmly dissecting its rotors into hundreds of finite pieces whilst the guitar-driven rock score kicks your eardrums in. It’s in those few and far between moments that I found my inner Metal Gear voice saying “this isn’t such a bad game”. Seconds later, I would fall back to the ground with enemy defeated and, sadly, reality would return. I’m not necessarily saying that the controls are bad per se; I’m simply saying that they’re the wrong type of controls for this type of game. Camera control is paramount. You can’t attack what you can’t see. But what compounds the problem is that the game seems bent on rewarding button mashing—something that nearly every other Metal Gear game dissuades with the exception of surviving Revolver Ocelot’s torture machine or moments of the ilk. MGR:R is not an abomination, but it is simply not a very good game. Even if it were viewed from the perspective of a stand-alone, original game, it would fall short. If you’re looking for a truly amazing Metal Gear game to play, look to the HD collections, knockout a few trophies from the highly-requested trophy patch for MGS4, or dust off your NES. If you’re looking for a run-and-gun, kill everything experience, checkout Vanquish…or maybe rent MGR:R. It’s a relatively short game, too, so most gamers will likely complete it after not much time. Expand
  83. Feb 19, 2013
    Everything changed when Snake went to his final mission to destroy the Patriots. The future (Revengeance) seems to hold schizophrenic Raiden, couple of war demented guys and cheesy rock music. Now what went wrong in this what the developers call canonical installment to the series?
    It's a disgrace to even call this a Metal Gear game. It plays fine even though it's a bit clunky but there is no way loyal fans to the series call this a true Metal Gear experience what we've seen for the past 25 years.
  84. Mar 28, 2013
    First game I did not finish in a long while. EXTREMELY repetitive gameplay, boring and predictable story. Has nothing to do with MGS if thats what you are looking for. Just a generic button-masher a la block, roll away, attack, roll away, attack, special attack....repeat times 10.0000...game finished. For 10$ yes...60$...F That
  85. Jun 22, 2014
    While the graphics and story are somewhat good, the game quickly turns into a mashing machine, becoming boring and frustrating at points, even more with quick time events in the middle of boss battles

which seemed good at the beginning, but, turned out to be repetitive and even extremely boring at the end. good example of a game that promised a lot, delivered little and bored people

good example of a game that promised a lot, delivered little and bored people half way to death... AVOID.
  86. Sep 6, 2013
    Giant flop, Impossible to grasp parry mechanic, awful story, lame uninspired boss fights. The slicing mechanic is fun for 5 secs, no stealth to speak of, this game is a total misleading pile of garbage and I will never rent again. I wish I never rented this because now I have a very sour taste in my mouth for the new upcoming next gen title, DO NOT waste your time on this POS.
  87. Jun 11, 2013
    this is a shame to the name metal gear solid its devil may cry basically no story really to follow you hack and slash like your playing the latest dynasty warrior game highly misleading as MGS games are usually stealth driven and a lot of deep storyline wouldn't even pick this up in a bargain bin for 50 pence.

shocking
  88. Feb 21, 2013
    All in all I enjoyed playing through Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. That being said, I thought that the campaign was ridiculously short for a game that is retailing at 59.99. There were moments where button mashing became easier than trying to use combos and strategy as well. Overall I thought the story line was good, graphics were gorgeous as always from the franchise and the journeyAll in all I enjoyed playing through Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. That being said, I thought that the campaign was ridiculously short for a game that is retailing at 59.99. There were moments where button mashing became easier than trying to use combos and strategy as well. Overall I thought the story line was good, graphics were gorgeous as always from the franchise and the journey was fun to work through. I would recommend waiting until this hits the discount bin though if you are on the fence because once again I was extremely disappointed in the campaign being less than 6 hours to get through. Not what we expect in a new title as gamers. Expand
  89. Mar 10, 2013
    I truly wanted to like this game, I really did, but the flaws in it are just too hard to ignore. I will say straight off the bat that the visuals and music are top notch, and it likely won't get much better in that department. But if music and visual made a game great... the gameplay is atrocious, camera control in an action game like this is so rarely done right and this game doesn't getI truly wanted to like this game, I really did, but the flaws in it are just too hard to ignore. I will say straight off the bat that the visuals and music are top notch, and it likely won't get much better in that department. But if music and visual made a game great... the gameplay is atrocious, camera control in an action game like this is so rarely done right and this game doesn't get it right either, The whole cutting thing is beyond gimmicky, making me wish they had just stuck to QTE's and make Raiden do some sick moves to finish off his opponents rather than resorting to this mediocrity. Sure it's fun the first 5 times but after that it's done, and you just wish there's an auto function for it. The story is the same thing we've come to expect from Kojima, convoluted beyond belief and way too much in love with itself. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the majority of the years it took to develop this game were spent writing the script for it. I literally spent more time listening to pointless codec conversation than actually playing the game. The fact alone you can get a GOLD trophy for listening to most of the conversations is proof enough that they are way overdone. But the thing that truly drove me over the edge was that the game completely wiped my progress clean without warning whatsoever. I finished everything on easy and normal, upgraded the majority of everything, and then decided to go to hard mode, now my entire profile's been reset... truly atrocious, mind boggling how a game so infinitely hyped by the metal gear fanbase has turned out so ridiculously mediocre. The best I can do is recommend a rental of this game, for that's exactly what it's worth, you pay 5 bucks rental to play a 5 hour game (+10 hours of listening to pointless codec garbage). Do not pay 60 dollars for this disc of fail. Expand
  90. Mar 11, 2013
    Why did they bring back Raiden. He sucks and the fans hate him. This game looks more like devil may cry than a tactical masterpiece that is metal gear. This game needs a breather. Please stop screwing up this franschise.
  91. Nov 20, 2013
    Wow. Never expected this steaming pile of excrement in the metal gear franchise. Haven't played many recent MG games but this is truly awful. Avoid at all cost. Shame the PS+ brigade gave it away free, they should be paying us to play it!
  92. Mar 14, 2013
    Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is a title frantic, fun, enjoyable from the first moment, but for all those who were waiting for a masterpiece, Rising is a real hole in the water. The title of Platinum Games fails to emerge from mediocrity, touching on various aspects such as excessive graphics bugs found and the poor longevity of the title amounted to 5 hours on Normal, not to mention aMetal Gear Rising: Revengeance is a title frantic, fun, enjoyable from the first moment, but for all those who were waiting for a masterpiece, Rising is a real hole in the water. The title of Platinum Games fails to emerge from mediocrity, touching on various aspects such as excessive graphics bugs found and the poor longevity of the title amounted to 5 hours on Normal, not to mention a narrative does not always live up to expectations. Ultimately, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is a recommended title in the circle of fans and all those who are looking for an action game light, unpretentious. http://www.4news.it/14048-recensione-metal-gear-rising-revengeance.php Expand
  93. Feb 27, 2013
    Story is boring and predictable. Recovering a pile of brains and fighting cyborgs. Radio calls are useless and full of meaningless chatter. The combat at times is very annoying. You basically use the same basic combos from Chapter 1 all the way to completion because the varieties are very limited. New unlocked weapons are not really useful and you lose all yr advanced sword combos if uStory is boring and predictable. Recovering a pile of brains and fighting cyborgs. Radio calls are useless and full of meaningless chatter. The combat at times is very annoying. You basically use the same basic combos from Chapter 1 all the way to completion because the varieties are very limited. New unlocked weapons are not really useful and you lose all yr advanced sword combos if u use it. Metal Gear Rising combat is nothing like DMC or God of War. You generally just spam the same old basic combos the whole game and then use blade mode to finish the enemy.
    The insane amount of enemy grapple and dizzy status makes wiggling the left thumb stick to break free for the 100th time annoying as hell. If you strip away the whole Metal Gear thing, it is only a decent action game.
  94. Mar 26, 2013
    I thought this was a pretty solid game. The combat was pretty well done and fun, even though you could easily just get by with mashing and occasional blocks, still, there was the opportunity for more if you really wanted to make the game more fun.

The game didn't have too much personality to it. There were different areas, but they lacked some of the excitement I was hoping for, even though I did pretty much know what to expect. The characters in the game didn't have a whole lot of personality to them until you were halfway through the game, then Raiden got more interesting, but a lot of the enemies were fairly generic for the most part. The story was pretty good though, so that helped to make up for a lot of that.

As a whole I had a lot of fun playing this game. It's nowhere near one of the best hack and slash games I've ever played, but it's still a good game, and I'm glad I was able to play through it, even if it went by really quickly, and a huge chunk of that was the final battle.
  95. Mar 1, 2013
    I had big hopes for this title. In fact, coming from Platinum Games I expected a great hack and slash but, Im dissapointed, very dissapointed, the combat lacks deep, no lock on, so the fights become a camera mess, secondary weapons are awful designed, HUGE window to block, enemies lack diversity and difficulty, bosses are also easy, blade mode is easy and extremely effective to use, theI had big hopes for this title. In fact, coming from Platinum Games I expected a great hack and slash but, Im dissapointed, very dissapointed, the combat lacks deep, no lock on, so the fights become a camera mess, secondary weapons are awful designed, HUGE window to block, enemies lack diversity and difficulty, bosses are also easy, blade mode is easy and extremely effective to use, the game is almost as bad as DMC. the plot is awful too and the game is very short. Im giving it a 5 because the combate is flashy and fun. Not worth to pursache, rent it. Expand
  96. Mar 13, 2013
    hgfhgfhjgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggghgfhgfhjgggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg
  97. Feb 28, 2013
    An enjoyable slash-em up, although don't be fooled into thinking you can get away with simple button bashing... especially at the begining of the game. You need to think about what you are doing and use some tatics which is great 'cause otherwise this could have been a very generic and straightforward 'mash the control pad' now game. Gameplay is fun and rewarding although slightly flawedAn enjoyable slash-em up, although don't be fooled into thinking you can get away with simple button bashing... especially at the begining of the game. You need to think about what you are doing and use some tatics which is great 'cause otherwise this could have been a very generic and straightforward 'mash the control pad' now game. Gameplay is fun and rewarding although slightly flawed when it comes to a few sections (like boss fights and taking down aerial foes) I had difficulty with having to juggle all the buttons including holding down the necessary enemy targeting one and getting frustrated when the camera swoops around to where you don't want it be only for you completely botch up a successful parry and leave you wide open to attack. QT events are back! Not too bad though so don't worry often turning up when you're about to say goodbye to the latest boss. Stealth options feel limiting and tacked on too which is a shame. I also felt a bit stupid and vunerable standing in one spot with the projectile weapons compared to when I feel like I'm invincible as I'm darting around at 60mph cutting off limbs off my foes. I also can't help feeling 'Hmmmm this would have been great on the Wii U with motion control' so I could accurately slice and dice to my hearts content. I do have to say I absolutley love the over the top cut scenes style and presentation are top notch (ok the story is a little weak but who cares) and reminiscent of the 90s anime style series and movies. Purely solo-player with a campaign that will prob last you about 6-7 hours for the first play through is fine, it never feels like it should be longer and that you're missing out as there is the option to go back to conquer higher difficulties, find those missing collectibles and so forth, as well as take part in Artificial Reality styled missions outside of the main game. Overall if you enjoyed games like Bayonetta (made by the same people) you'll enjoy this. Metal Gear fans will also get a kick out of Raiden and the various Konami franchise's offerings sprinkled throughout the game Expand
  98. Mar 20, 2013
    "METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE is a acceptable indulging take on the METAL GEAR universe. The gameplay is lighting fast, ridiculous & offers some interesting mechanics for fans to master that keeps the replay value up. The boss battles are interesting for the most part harkening to a real Mega Man feel & the visceral annihilation of all your foes is hilariously good fun. But it’s also"METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE is a acceptable indulging take on the METAL GEAR universe. The gameplay is lighting fast, ridiculous & offers some interesting mechanics for fans to master that keeps the replay value up. The boss battles are interesting for the most part harkening to a real Mega Man feel & the visceral annihilation of all your foes is hilariously good fun. But it’s also extremely short, frustrating at times & has a forgettable story & cast about redemption & other meaningful moody stuff.

It doesn’t quite live up to the METAL GEAR name completely, but it’s still a perfectly fun & accessible detour from the usual stealth & hour long cutscene sagas before it. Just don’t expect to be blown away in amazement."

Read my full review: http://tmblr.co/ZOA6EyfFK9Jd
  99. Nov 16, 2013
    Metal Gear Rising is a refreshing entry into the Metal Gear franchise. MGR has some of the best graphics ive seen on a Playstation 3 to date. The combat is addicting, fast and fluid and is the best thing about this game. The beginning of the game is really good, during the middle the action does slow down at times and the story can sometimes seem crazy, but this wouldn't be a Metal GearMetal Gear Rising is a refreshing entry into the Metal Gear franchise. MGR has some of the best graphics ive seen on a Playstation 3 to date. The combat is addicting, fast and fluid and is the best thing about this game. The beginning of the game is really good, during the middle the action does slow down at times and the story can sometimes seem crazy, but this wouldn't be a Metal Gear game without a little craziness. The ending is quite amazing, and the last boss battle is one of the best boss battles ive ever played in any game. I cant wait until Platinum Games make a sequel for this great entry into the Metal Gear franchise. Overall Score= 83/100 Expand
  100. Mar 4, 2013
    Anyone expecting a traditional Metal Gear game out of Rising, this isn't the game for you. Instead of stealth and sneaking, Rising is a full out action, hack n'slash game. The gameplay is crazy fast and the visuals are stunning. The controls are tight, although it's frustrating there isn't a dedicated block button. Like all Metal Gear games, the plot is involving and deep. The onlyAnyone expecting a traditional Metal Gear game out of Rising, this isn't the game for you. Instead of stealth and sneaking, Rising is a full out action, hack n'slash game. The gameplay is crazy fast and the visuals are stunning. The controls are tight, although it's frustrating there isn't a dedicated block button. Like all Metal Gear games, the plot is involving and deep. The only real complaints I have with this game, are the lousy camera angles and the short length of the game (5-6 hours). Expand

1. Apr 9, 2013
    Improvements need to be made, but Metal Gear Rising has already established itself to be an action game well worth buying.
  2. Fact is, when Revengeance is firing on all cylinders it’s a great, albeit short (six hours, tops) action game. [April 2013, p78]
  3. Mar 24, 2013
    Its shortness will dissuade many, but cut deeper and an innovative parry system impresses. [Apr 2013, p.70]