5.1

1. Mar 1, 2020
    I really enjoyed my time with the game (60+ hours played) , however, there are definitely aspects about it that make it undesirable to play. Expect a lot of wiki searching, since many games, items, or how-tos are not explained or described very well. UI is clunky and certain quality of life things really should be implemented, like better inventory organization and your handbook just inI really enjoyed my time with the game (60+ hours played) , however, there are definitely aspects about it that make it undesirable to play. Expect a lot of wiki searching, since many games, items, or how-tos are not explained or described very well. UI is clunky and certain quality of life things really should be implemented, like better inventory organization and your handbook just in general. (It especially is tedious mid-end game) The fighting mechanics in this game are very simple and kind of thrown in. Early game is brutal with how long things seem to take, especially tasks like mining and axing trees. Honestly, I didn't really love my time in Portia until around level 35+, when I got my farm system down and the best equipment. I started loving it when I learned the world and where to get things well enough I could turn my brain off. It was satisfying to finally complete things super efficiently. Really, I can only recommend this game if you like management and grinding. It's a relaxing game in that way. However, the jank, writing, music/sound design, glitches, and learning curve definitely make it hard to recommend. Expand
  2. Jan 28, 2020
    My Time At Portia released as a broken, buggy, incomplete game. 1 year later with only 2 patches and it's still a mess. Yet another gaming company not to be trusted.
  3. Mar 14, 2020
    Decent idea, poorly executed. Large amount of bugs. Poor writing. Ugly characters. Repetitive tasks. Dreadful events. There are some redeeming factors but they are so few and far between. This game needed more time in development. Don't bother in it's current state
  4. Sep 14, 2019
    My Time At Portia in its first few hours is a fun game, but after a while it just turns into a grind. Getting the materials and components for certain missions make progress a tremendous slog. If feels like something you'd find in a mobile game. If not for the item dupe glitch, I would have just given up.

This game doesn't know what it wants to be really. You can raise animals and plant crops but there is a huge emphasis on the making material aspect of the game. So it just seems like farming was an after thought to attract the Harvest Moon/Stardew Valley crowd.

Some characters are more polished than others, and I wish there was more to the relation perks for all characters. It just seems unfinished.

I like the art style, but sometimes I end up falling through the world or clipping through things. Sometimes I even get stuck or frozen in place. It's not a good thing in a game like this when you have to do a lot of things in one day and then your progress is all gone because you're stuck.

Overall, My Time At Portia isn't worth playing. It has some nice things going for it but it needs some polish. Maybe decrease the amount of time it takes to make all materials or something. It just feels like a tacked on mechanic to increase the length of the game. If not for the duplication glitch, playing would have been such a chore towards the end.
  5. Sep 28, 2019
    The game is BROKEN and CANNOT BE COMPLETED for many players!

During a mid-game story quest dozens of hours into the game, you are tasked with building the Portia Bridge (not the small one to the tiny island at the start of the game), but if you do not complete the commissions quickly enough then the bridge will NEVER be completed, not even by rival Higgins. Therefore about a third of
    The game is BROKEN and CANNOT BE COMPLETED for many players!

Therefore about a third of players who reach this point (according to the PSN trophies) will not be able to continue, leading to their save file being useless. Either restart EVERYTHING or delete the game - I chose the latter.

The devs are aware of this bug but have done NOTHING about it and don't seem to want to fix it in the future. This is just one gamebreaking bug, but expect lots of game crashes (where it kicks you out back to the PS menu and you can "Report the Problem").

Also, ALL bosses will remain inactive if you attack them from the side or behind - they literally will not move, leading to an easy victory. It looks silly and honestly screams of lazy design.

I loved the CONCEPT of this game, but the final product was a buggy mess. I would love to know what was beyond that bridge, but frankly I don't care anymore.
  6. Jun 17, 2019
    This game is basically a ripoff of Stardew Valley. Simply feels like a glorified, overpriced mobile game with less than mediocre graphics. The writing is terrible and the tasks are overly repetitive. The npcs lack any memorable moments and lackadaisically meander around waiting for you to please them by doing pointless mindless activities. The combat is beyond janky and feels unbelievablyThis game is basically a ripoff of Stardew Valley. Simply feels like a glorified, overpriced mobile game with less than mediocre graphics. The writing is terrible and the tasks are overly repetitive. The npcs lack any memorable moments and lackadaisically meander around waiting for you to please them by doing pointless mindless activities. The combat is beyond janky and feels unbelievably slow. For whatever reason there is a stamina circle similar to Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild but somehow does it even worse. Expand
  7. Aug 19, 2019
    My time at Portia is not a perfect game but it can be entertaining while taking many impressions from big brothers such as Stardew Valley and incoporating it into a more quest driven approach. Read on for more insight on why this is a worthy 6/10 for me.

Technics first:02/10 Lets get this straight: I bought this game on a sale for my PS4 Pro with SSD and while the loading times are way

Technics first:02/10
    Lets get this straight: I bought this game on a sale for my PS4 Pro with SSD and while the loading times are way too intense at times the general performance was alright for me. The developers did not do their best job at bringing a performance optimized game to the stores which is quite unfortunate because entering doors, rooms, scenes are always bound to loading times. The initial load is huge, then it gets better but that is still at times unacceptable with a PS4 Pro AND SSD. If you are not of a patient nature please skip this game for your own good. If you can compromise, read on for more.

The engine itself runs good. There are no performance drops for me although there are small hiccups while entering or canceling cutscenes. Also getting stuck or glitching through floors can happen sometimes. Most situations can be easily resolved by game mechanics some cannot and will result in your personal time loss because saving the game is only possible when you sleep at night (why the hell would you even do this...)

Story: 10/10
    You arrive at Portia to take over your familys workshop legacy getting in touch with town and people. While doing so you get more and more quests from the mayor to develop the town, its needs and the story itself which is in general well made and you will always find something cool to do and discover new blueprints to build stuff.

Over the time you will invest in your workshop/farm, get more space to build and a nice house to decorate as you wish. Getting in touch with people is not only essential for the main quests you will also be provided with loads of sidequests, lore content and desires that each individual has. You can get friends with people, go on a date, marry them, get/adopt childs etc. The game provides any possibility you can think of and in this regard is very well made in my opinion.

You can futher participate in town events and mini games. You can go for being the number one workshop in town. You can adopt or tame pets and much more.

Controls, customization and all the rest: 6-7/10
    The controls are in general decent, a little bit clunky at times. The fighting in dungeons is pretty simple and focussed onto button mashing. Popping up the inventory pauses the game and lets you heal or organize without much hazzle. Skill trees lets you personalize your character into fighting, better ressource management or more possibilities into engaging people. Points can be re-arranged later on while appearance cannot fully. Your character is able to equip items that will benefit stats such as defense, health or critical chance, also you will continously level up while carrying out tasks. Equipment will also change your worlds appearance and is well made. For fans a photo mode is also included so you can hold on nice moments you create ingame. The sound is okay-ish but overall very simple.

Sum up: 06/10
    My time at Portia is a game where you can easily drop 50 to 100hrs of playtime. It provides a continous flow of tasks and story events to participate in and get to know with people. It is easy to see that the developers tried to copy from Stardew Valley but sadly not always for the best. Some similarities are too obvious, some flaws are also included and sometimes the game and its engine are just too clunky. If you still like these kind of Stardew Valley-ish games then you can have fun with it if you have the patience for loading screens (or an SSD) and grab it on sale for a fair price.

I personally dropped a good amount of hours into the game and it still keeps me going. It is fun but nothing spectacular. On a sidenote: the console versions are behind the pc version and do not feature all of its content at the time of this review.
  8. Aug 11, 2020
    Incredibly disappointing game. Saw it on sale and checked out some reviews on Youtube..and nobody quite addressed how poorly made this is. This does not deserve a 75 on metacritic that's for sure. The main problem is the polish, everything just barely functions, footstep sound effects disappear for no reason when they should still be heard, trying to enter a body of water just teleportsIncredibly disappointing game. Saw it on sale and checked out some reviews on Youtube..and nobody quite addressed how poorly made this is. This does not deserve a 75 on metacritic that's for sure. The main problem is the polish, everything just barely functions, footstep sound effects disappear for no reason when they should still be heard, trying to enter a body of water just teleports you a few feet back (that really either should let you swim or just block you from going there). It's just overall of very low quality and makes me want to start Stardew Valley back up again posthaste. Expand
  9. Sep 2, 2020
    Great game with tons of crafting and for the price you can’t beat it. I would definitely recommend it and the devs are adding more features within the next week or so.
  10. Jun 22, 2020
    This is like stardew valley on steroids. The world is so large and easy to get lost in. The characters are full of life and personality. I originally bought this on steam when it was in early alpha and am happy to see it completed and more stable with a full release now. The performance is still not perfect, but it doesn't really get in the way of the gameplay. This is a game you'll lose aThis is like stardew valley on steroids. The world is so large and easy to get lost in. The characters are full of life and personality. I originally bought this on steam when it was in early alpha and am happy to see it completed and more stable with a full release now. The performance is still not perfect, but it doesn't really get in the way of the gameplay. This is a game you'll lose a hundred hours into before you notice where the time has gone. Expand
  11. Jul 22, 2020
    This game is a great idea, not greatly executed. The main story as far as i could go, was a great and enjoyable time. I stopped playing at a certain point. The bugs have kinda ruined the experience. I know the team is small, and they said next year they plan on putting fixes out. I can see great potential if they can kick it into high gear and fix the bugs and add more content. many peopleThis game is a great idea, not greatly executed. The main story as far as i could go, was a great and enjoyable time. I stopped playing at a certain point. The bugs have kinda ruined the experience. I know the team is small, and they said next year they plan on putting fixes out. I can see great potential if they can kick it into high gear and fix the bugs and add more content. many people like myself played Stardew Valley and heard this game is like a 3D version of that. and the hype kinda got lost in all the bugs. I hope they do turn it around because i wanna play this again and enjoy it!! Expand

Generally favorable reviews - based on 12 Critic Reviews

1. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    May 3, 2019
    Sub-par writing holds it back from greatness, but My Time At Portia is still a slice of life well worth tasting. And remember, you can start fights with strangers. [Issue#162, p.83]
  2. Apr 24, 2019
    My Time at Portia enhanced the Harvest-Moon-concept with a new found focus on exploration and construction. Nice!
  3. Apr 17, 2019
    My Time at Portia is a great addition to the genre. It’s not perfect but it is unique. There are times when the game drags and while it looks really good and interesting, clipping is a pretty big issue. But it does have some cool world building that I haven’t really seen in the life sim rpg genre. There is a lot to do in the world and having building as the main focus is a nice change from farming. The game is borrowing from a well used formula but changes it just enough to make itself stand out from the crowd. If this genre is something you’re into, definitely give this one a go.