6.9

Buy Now
Buy on

1. Jan 22, 2023
    Fire Emblem: Engage is a solid strategy game that offers enjoyable battle mechanics, thanks to the addition of Emblem rings and Break mechanics. However, the game falls short in other areas, particularly in the story and character design. While I haven't completed the game yet and have only played around 20 hours, at this point, I can say that the overall experience is lacking in depth andFire Emblem: Engage is a solid strategy game that offers enjoyable battle mechanics, thanks to the addition of Emblem rings and Break mechanics. However, the game falls short in other areas, particularly in the story and character design. While I haven't completed the game yet and have only played around 20 hours, at this point, I can say that the overall experience is lacking in depth and fails to live up to the standard set by previous entries in the series. In my opinion, the game is worth playing for the battles alone, but don't expect much in terms of a compelling story or engaging characters. Overall, Fire Emblem: Engage is a decent way to pass the time, but I hope that Nintendo puts more effort into storytelling and character design in future games. Expand
  2. Jan 21, 2023
    A step forward for the series in the technical aspect, but in the story and the sense of it they are 2 steps back, the cinematics many times do not make sense in relation to the gameplay, they feel very random at times and sometimes with zero coherence, in general, it cost me much more to play it than the last games like three houses or echoes.
  3. Jan 21, 2023
    When viewed in the context of the entire franchise, Engage is a disappointment that represents a regression rather than a progression in quality.

Whilst containing an admittedly interesting new battle system, it fails to reach the heights of games like Thracia and Conquest and will seem utterly unremarkable to long-time fans. Furthermore, whatever pleasure is granted by the battle mechanics fails to compensate for the lacklustre nature of the game in all other areas. Alear wanders through a generic world of forgettable characters trying to obtain macguffins whilst nothing interesting or of note occurs. It is a plot and world so generic and formulaic that one wonders if they fed the previous scripts into an AI and generated it mechanically. Plot beats range from mind-numbingly bland to hilariously overdramatic and forced: Engage is a game that seems to want emotional pay-off whilst giving you no reason to care for the characters it establishes.
    Characters are regression to the shallow tropes of Fates which feel poorly thought out and like there was no underlying intention to them other than to pad out the roster. Beyond some exceptions such as Diamant, they range from non-entities to Jar Jar Binks level irritating presences that have one personality trait and will repeat it for hundreds of lines of dialogue. The music is serviceable but the most generic of the post-Awakening Fire Emblem games. Character design is awful; it is ironic that despite being so flashy and outrageous, none of these characters will stick in the player's mind once they go off-screen.

It would be interesting to see the break and emblem mechanics in a game that knew what its identity was.
    There is no artistic vision or cohesive idea underlying Engage: it is a bundle of elements of poor quality slapped together on top of a gameplay system that whilst may be impressive to players whose only prior experience was Three Houses, fails to come even remotely close to being the best of what the franchise has to offer, or to make it worthwhile suffering through the other aspects of the game.
    Engage, by all metrics, is at best an average Fire Emblem entry, and at worst a cynical, soulless product with an identity crisis.
  4. Jan 24, 2023
    Innovative and interesting gameplay with dazzling character designs, but the insipid plot and bland characterization of the cast leave a lot to be desired, especially it being the successor of the highly-raved Three Houses. It feels very infantile and regressive, highlighted by some moments reminiscent of past FE glories which are unfortunately few and far between. Cutscenes and dialoguesInnovative and interesting gameplay with dazzling character designs, but the insipid plot and bland characterization of the cast leave a lot to be desired, especially it being the successor of the highly-raved Three Houses. It feels very infantile and regressive, highlighted by some moments reminiscent of past FE glories which are unfortunately few and far between. Cutscenes and dialogues look and sound like a high school theater rehearsal and are painful to watch at times. I really dislike the repetitive nature of the personalities as well. Also, if we get a penny for every dang time "Divine" or "Divine Dragon" is mentioned or used, we'd all be the next Bezos or Musk, I swear.

I spent hundreds of hours in Three Houses and Three Hopes, enjoying every single moment of it, and I can sense emotional attachment to even the minor characters (Gatekeeper and monastery animals, anyone?). In Engage, I just couldn't wait for things to end, and I can't be bothered developing any attachment to any of these characters. Save your money and replay Three Houses and its spin-off, it's a way better use of your time and money.
  5. Jan 22, 2023
    Massive step backwards from Three House's. Very mediocre predictable plot with extremely cringe dialogue and boring supports.
  6. Jan 23, 2023
    Worst then 3 houses. Better graphics but that's it.
    Buy it online with heavy discount.
  7. Jan 22, 2023
    I try really hard to like it, with is all colorful but empty cast, and it's bland story without any taste. Yes the gameplay is really good, but the lack of love that was given to the story, the lack of emotion and depth is very overwelming for me. Heck, even Fates manage to give us three better stories than this title. A huge step back, for better gameplay... To bad.
  8. Jan 22, 2023
    Story and writing are pretty awful, but in a way that I think enhances the game, considering how funny it makes it. Gameplay is solid and, while the game is definitely worse than Three Houses, it's definitely a solid turn-based strategy experience.
  9. Jan 22, 2023
    Seems to be a big step back for the series. The people praising it for being more like the older games seem to forget that it was a failing series before the more modern changes. A fun spin-off or side game but if this is future of series I would be very worried.
  10. Jan 24, 2023
    Compared with three houses, it has better system and level design, but worse plot and characters. Three houses has the highest sales volume in fe history. I don't know why they can't make better system and level design without retain its advantages.
  11. Jan 23, 2023
    Undoubtedly the worst character designs in the series bar none, it's actually jarring to see someone like Sigurd next to some of these clowns that are trying to be passed off as FE characters. The story is just a hybrid of awakening and fates but somehow it's much worse. I would not recommend this game to my worst enemy as that would be too evil on my part
  12. Jan 22, 2023
    I play JRPG to enjoy the story while testing out different strategy with given combat system.
    Here are my 2 main issues.
    Here are my 2 main issues.
    Story: Unfortunately, they put their guards down too much on the story. It feels like they cropped part of previous games and pasted it there. Too much contrast to 3H for sure. While 3H story was heavy, in here it went like ashes. Also too much cringe on their comedy and action. They looked like a group of medieval power rangers in action. Shonen cliched into isekai.

Characters: Honestly, I thought I was watching a circus parade. I do know Mika Pikazo is a great artist with amazing quality. However, she is specialized on illustrating things with strong characteristic traits (ex. vtubers). Almost 90% of the characters in the game were designed with vast clothing in overly saturated colors, and all stood out against each other. Definitely, not a unified design. Plus, her style diminished the maturity on all physical traits. Most looked underaged compared to the previous characters. None of them looked intimidating, even the villains.

New combat system was fun, animation quality was amazing, but if the story and setting doesn't support that... welp it's not a good JRPG to begin with. Now time to apologize to Fates.
  13. Jan 23, 2023
    I'm sorry to say, this will be the first Fire Emblem game I won't finish since I started playing the franchise with FE Awakening.

What great combat is there, isn't enough to make me stick with it. The art direction, story, writing and voice direction all make for an unbelievably anime tropey experience, in the worst way imaginable, with a story as bland as they come. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think the game experience would be better if we just got to fight the battles without any dialogue or story in it.
  14. Jan 22, 2023
    This game is probably like 7 but I am harsher on it because it seems that the franchise is going in the wrong direction. With a story and visual presentation worse than the previous game and relying on previous franchise for cameos instead of creating new characters. The simpler battle systems seem a step back from me compared to three houses options. Worldbuilding also suffers a step downThis game is probably like 7 but I am harsher on it because it seems that the franchise is going in the wrong direction. With a story and visual presentation worse than the previous game and relying on previous franchise for cameos instead of creating new characters. The simpler battle systems seem a step back from me compared to three houses options. Worldbuilding also suffers a step down even if is not FATES level. Expand
  15. Jan 23, 2023
    This is a Disneyland theme park version of fire emblem that is more concerned with smelling its own farts than giving a good story.

All of that aside, the combat system and engine are top notch, which somehow makes it worse, like putting a porche engine in a pinto.
  16. Jan 23, 2023
    Beloved characters from older games are now personas for genshin impact rejects
  17. Jan 22, 2023
    Unfortunately, the supports for many of the characters, as well as many story elements were censored during localization. There are many other reviews complaining about the bland story and writing. However, please do not blame the original Japanese team. It is the English localizers' (Nintendo Treehouse's) fault in this case.
  18. Jan 21, 2023
    While the story is much less gripping, the return to form of "there's the evil dragon, go kill it" feels refreshing in an odd way. The gameplay is some of the best of the series we've had so far, with the Emblems providing a nice layer of stratagy to the game.
  19. Jan 22, 2023
    I tried to like this game, but I could not, it seem a step back from all the improvements on gameplay, story telling and worldbuilding found on three houses. I personally dislike the cameos from old protagonists as this make the game fells like fire emblem heroes instead of a proper new entry on the franchise. I can’t recommend this one.
  20. Jan 21, 2023
    bad story, but good system. The plot looks like a child playing house. The characters are also designed to look like children, which I think is bad
  21. Jan 22, 2023
    The writing is so bad it makes the game unplayable. Even the support conversations feel like they were written by a 5 year old. No character has any shred of personality and its so cringe I can't even get through it. There's no excuse for it to be this bad. They've beefed up the fighting mechanics but it's clear as day that they did it by cutting all funding from the writing department.The writing is so bad it makes the game unplayable. Even the support conversations feel like they were written by a 5 year old. No character has any shred of personality and its so cringe I can't even get through it. There's no excuse for it to be this bad. They've beefed up the fighting mechanics but it's clear as day that they did it by cutting all funding from the writing department. I'd return it if the switch allowed that. Please learn from my mistake and do not buy this game. Expand
  22. Jan 22, 2023
    Usually it's 1 step forward, and 2 steps back with this company. With Engage, it's 10 steps back as it throws out everything 3Houses did correctly.
  23. Jan 21, 2023
    I felt like the game was a step back from previous games. The characters are forgettable. I also found the plot to be predictable. The heroes of the past felt underdeveloped. Just no replay value like three houses had. I think the combat was probably the best part but truth to be told i was never a fan of the weapon triangle system. I'd avoid this game if you are expecting it to be as goodI felt like the game was a step back from previous games. The characters are forgettable. I also found the plot to be predictable. The heroes of the past felt underdeveloped. Just no replay value like three houses had. I think the combat was probably the best part but truth to be told i was never a fan of the weapon triangle system. I'd avoid this game if you are expecting it to be as good as previous titles. Expand
  24. Jan 22, 2023
    I love fire emblem...buts gbis game is just sad. Bad Designs, worst fe story EVER, glitches and DLC before the game came out? I miss FE3H
  25. Jan 22, 2023
    This game should not exist. It insults past games and past lords. Be angry.
  26. Jan 22, 2023
    The combats are fun, but the story is TERRIBLE: It’s super basic and childish. It lost all the perspectives and multidimensionality of characters we saw in Three Houses. The plot and dialogues seem written by a 12 year old kid.
  27. Jan 21, 2023
    Just like a rubbish. Worse than Three Houses. I don't know why Intelligent Systems create this Fire Emblem? Worse than every FE, Awakening is better and Three Houses is the best FE. Don't do this in next FE!
  28. Jan 22, 2023
    Extremely soulless game with baby tier writing. Characters and story are awful. It's a downgrade from 3H in everyway. Sick of every game pandering to Vtubers. All it does is go for meme value rather than creating things with actual substance.
  29. Jan 24, 2023
    I admit that this work is better than the previous work, both in terms of gameplay and map design, but the character creation, character modeling and plot design of this work make me very disappointed. I mean, if you just enjoy srpg game, you will probably like ENGAGE very much, but if you also value the shaping of plot and character relationship, then you may be a little disappointed.
  30. Jan 25, 2023
    One of the best Fire Emblems in technical aspects like gameplay, animations and sound coupled with probably the worst in story and characters. What a waste.

Pity for the technical team aswell to have their good work ruined by such a big failure of the writing team.
  31. Feb 2, 2023
    EDIT at end after putting in 60 Hours, revised my review to 8/10 from 7/10

TLDR: If you're looking for a solid SRPG strategy game, this is a must-buy. Best gameplay out of any FE game I've played. However if you don't care about strategy, but can't stand cheesy writing and poorly developed characters, this is a hard one to swallow. ----- After putting in a good 30+ hours, I first
    EDIT at end after putting in 60 Hours, revised my review to 8/10 from 7/10

-----

After putting in a good 30+ hours, I first want to congratulate whoever was handling the difficulty. It's miles better and more balanced than the previous entries, and so far I've enjoyed playing the gameplay for what it is.

Art style can be hit or miss, but I'm still amazed at how every playable character has unique designs to them. There are also a LOT more units than before, so props to the amazing artist.

The huge glaring issue for me is that the characters are too shallow. The story is simple, but then a lot of JRPGS are. For me, it’s more about the interactions between the interesting cast of characters that impact the story. This entry however doesn’t have that.

Part of the issue I believe is needing more screen time for the many different characters. Interactions between emblems and different characters are too short. Except for a few characters, they don't even get screen time in the main story. There aren’t any character unique missions, and this also makes the characters lack depth. I feel like they had something here, but either had not have enough time or just weren't competent enough. It's sad because the characters all had unique interesting designs.

As a result, classic didn't feel classic enough. When units died, I reverted time out of habit and because of completionism. Not because I had attachments to characters.

All in all, it's a solid game, but I really miss some of the story elements they left out.

EDIT: the story and character interaction with the main story are still pretty lackluster even towards the end, but I really have to give this game a higher score for the devs who did an amazing job on map design and ability balance for units, on both hard and maddening difficulties.
    Reclassing and skill choice is more focused compared to 3H, but I feel like that actually helped out the devs with balancing the game.
  32. Jan 27, 2023
    A graphically excellent, mechanically sound and relatively enjoyable game with an insultingly simplistic story. Characters mostly have the depth of a kiddie pool, and most look like rejected Genshin Impact designs.

Fans of Three Houses will be utterly baffled and disappointed by Engage's astounding lack of narrative depth - its story is pure schlock, and its characters range from marginally charming to repulsively one-note. However, the good elements may manage to carry you through the eye roll-inducing cutscenes (which can be skipped, thankfully).

Overall: A narratively disappointing game with lots to enjoy on a mechanical level.
  33. Jan 27, 2023
    I have mixed feelings about this game. Part of me was very satisfied with the return to classic Fire Emblem form. It got rid of the awful school setting, the overwhelming amount of character relationships, and painful social management system. It’s back to the tried and true classic gameplay tied in with a story that’s relatively straight forward. This game introduces a few new ideas, butI have mixed feelings about this game. Part of me was very satisfied with the return to classic Fire Emblem form. It got rid of the awful school setting, the overwhelming amount of character relationships, and painful social management system. It’s back to the tried and true classic gameplay tied in with a story that’s relatively straight forward. This game introduces a few new ideas, but none of them are really game changers. The exploration post game adds some unique flavor to this game, but truthfully these types of changes don’t make any difference to me. Regardless, it was miles better than the last game.

Unfortunately the Fire Emblem formula is really starting to feel a bit dated. This gameplay was very fun throughout the 3DS years, but it has not really grown much since then. Each Fire Emblem release is beginning to feel like the same game with a new gimmick and new story. It no longer has the allure that it used to have. I enjoyed this game for about 10 hours, but then I hit a wall where I realized that the series needs something because it’s no longer pulling me in like it did before. Great game, but you have seen it all before.
  34. Jan 26, 2023
    Gameplay and technical aspects 9/10 + story and characters 1/10 = 5/10 overall
  35. Jan 27, 2023
    Graphics are so much better, cel shaded sort of Style is nice, but good lord the design, story and characterization have run straight off a cliff. I'm confused as to why the characters are walking one dimensional tropes, and why they look the way they do. I'm aware Awakening and Fates get some flack for the same issues, but honestly I'd still take their writing any day over this. As it isGraphics are so much better, cel shaded sort of Style is nice, but good lord the design, story and characterization have run straight off a cliff. I'm confused as to why the characters are walking one dimensional tropes, and why they look the way they do. I'm aware Awakening and Fates get some flack for the same issues, but honestly I'd still take their writing any day over this. As it is now- my desire to play more is entirely none-existent despite the gameplay being just as fine as it always is. Expand
  36. Jan 28, 2023
    Fire Emblem Engage has amazing combat and could possibly be one of the best in the series IF the story was better. This game also taught me that yes, there can be too many mechanics in video games. I've gotten to chapter 16, and I just find it so hard to pick up the game due to the story being so bland, and all the mechanics just clogging up the screen. If you are looking to get into FireFire Emblem Engage has amazing combat and could possibly be one of the best in the series IF the story was better. This game also taught me that yes, there can be too many mechanics in video games. I've gotten to chapter 16, and I just find it so hard to pick up the game due to the story being so bland, and all the mechanics just clogging up the screen. If you are looking to get into Fire Emblem, I wouldn't recommend this game. I'd recommend Three Houses instead. Expand
  37. Feb 1, 2023
    As far as gameplay is concerned, the gameplay mechanics of Engage are incredible and extremely fun, it is some of the best gameplay in the series. However, it is extremely unfortunate that the characters, dialogue and story have once again been deliberately sabotaged by the miserable localizers at Treehouse, rewriting characters, inserting cheesy dialogue, and completely censoring any andAs far as gameplay is concerned, the gameplay mechanics of Engage are incredible and extremely fun, it is some of the best gameplay in the series. However, it is extremely unfortunate that the characters, dialogue and story have once again been deliberately sabotaged by the miserable localizers at Treehouse, rewriting characters, inserting cheesy dialogue, and completely censoring any and all hints of romance out of the game. These translators must have a deep-seated resentment for the projects that they’re working on for them to end up with translations this poorly-made and low-effort. It is truly unacceptable. Expand
  38. Feb 2, 2023
    Fire emblem engage seems like a step back compared to most fire emblem games from the last decade. The writing is atrocious and the characters are shallow. I have heard some people compare it to older games, but that is only true with the game play. Emotional moments in the story miss their mark because they feel unearned and occur before the player becomes invested. The stakes justFire emblem engage seems like a step back compared to most fire emblem games from the last decade. The writing is atrocious and the characters are shallow. I have heard some people compare it to older games, but that is only true with the game play. Emotional moments in the story miss their mark because they feel unearned and occur before the player becomes invested. The stakes just aren't there in this game because the writing is aweful. I used to pre-order every fire emblem game, I think I will wait for the user feedback in the future. I'm surprised by how inflated the critic score is. Expand
  39. Jan 31, 2023
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. While it is a standard Fire Emblem game (i.e. combat and strategy, turn based, story heavy), it lacks something that the recent Fire Emblems had.

You don't feel a connection with characters and are forced into building bonds that you can get completely done within the first couple battles. The conversations are not really... interesting? The characters are pretty static and do not provide any real reason to have them on your main team other than possessing the rings and using said rings. Maybe the main goal was to have you focus on story and battles than marrying and getting close to a character? I don't know. But I miss the option to get closer and have choices when talking to the characters.
    The home base of the game is built around you upgrading your main weapons, buying weapons you need, enhancing your abilities, and... polishing your rings. (Yeah, I couldn't believe they put that in but not choices?)

It is at best...
    The orginal fight style, turn-based strategic Fire Emblem game... but cash grabbing at the fact it introduces some newer characters from recent games (Three houses, Awakening), but a lot of old ones too. Which if you haven't played the older ones (1990 to 2007), you won't know a single Emblem Ring Character.

If you like the strategy part, it's great for you. If you like the character development, making bonds with the characters (even as a player), then I suggest you wait for this game to have its price lowered, even if its adding to your game collection.... just wait.
  40. Feb 1, 2023
    While this game shines as the forefront for what gameplay should be like in the Fire Emblem franchise, ir tries to make a return to a simpler, more straightforward story akin to the entries before the critically acclaimed 3 Houses. And yet, this story does not support and motivate the player to enjoy their time in the world of Elyos and connect with its large cast, instead throwing nonstopWhile this game shines as the forefront for what gameplay should be like in the Fire Emblem franchise, ir tries to make a return to a simpler, more straightforward story akin to the entries before the critically acclaimed 3 Houses. And yet, this story does not support and motivate the player to enjoy their time in the world of Elyos and connect with its large cast, instead throwing nonstop gameplay at them with thr narrative serving only the purpose of pushing you towards the next battle. It is disappointing to see so many long time fans call it par for the course because there is always better than something so lifeless. Expand
  41. Jan 25, 2023
    The gameplay itself and the technical portion of the game is pretty good. The return of the weapon triangle works really well and the general feel and flow of the combat is a genuine step up from previous entries.
    Graphics have been improved quite a bit as well; the general quality of the models and maps is very high, however, the design direction sometimes feel a bit too clean and sanitized, making the world feel too plastic and artificial at times.
    The real problem and why this game utterly fails is the story. The plot feels like it was generated by AI with the most predictable twists and most soulless characters. Even though the gameplay was fun, the poor quality of the story keeps stopping me from actually wanting to play it. And that really sucks.

Fire Emblem has always been about the perfect ratio of a good story and good combat, in Engage it feels like half of it is missing.
  42. Jan 25, 2023
    If you played 3 houses then this is a major improvement in terms of graphics and perfomance. The animations are even improved, the combat and the mechanics are great. Music is also a let down, I haven't heard a single song that caught my attention. However the story and characters are god awful. I have never played a Fire Emblem where I didnt like a single character until now. TheIf you played 3 houses then this is a major improvement in terms of graphics and perfomance. The animations are even improved, the combat and the mechanics are great. Music is also a let down, I haven't heard a single song that caught my attention. However the story and characters are god awful. I have never played a Fire Emblem where I didnt like a single character until now. The main character Alear is the most boring and bland protaganist I have ever played with, I honestly would have preferred him/her to be silent. The dialog is terrible, the story is so uninteresting that I started skipping halfway through. The English voices arent bad but their dialog is what ruins everyone, they all seem dense, naive, weak, overly kind. The MC is the Divine dragon or whatever and everyone respects him to simp levels and he doesn't deserve it. TLDR, story and charcters are so bad that it actually ruins the game, im afraid what they would do to a remake at this point. Expand
  43. Jan 26, 2023
    Gameplay is fun. The story and characters are soulless. Feels like a mobile game but it’s a full priced Nintendo game.. yikes
  44. Jan 24, 2023
    The gameplay is truly great!

This story and the characters, on the other hand, not so much. I won’t dwell on this. It is what it is… I did not like it.

Personal skills are basic and some just don’t fit what the character does best. Decent map designs.

It is FUN to play. If you already like FE you’ll find something to like here if you can get past the writing .
  45. Jan 29, 2023
    I assume the low user score comes from people who only ever played Three Houses but none of the older FE titles cause Engage is more similar to those.
    But don't let that fool you, Engage is an amazing FE game with deep and complex gameplay, likeable characters, great soundtracks, good story etc
  46. Jan 28, 2023
    The maps are much better designed than three houses. A lot more variety in objectives and map gimmicks. Graphic and animations are great. I personally like the character design and the simpler story and supports. It’s a more chilled experience compared to FE3H.
  47. Jan 28, 2023
    Fire Emblem Engage

Pros Great Gameplay back to the more strategic style of Fire Emblem + fresh new ideas! Improved Graphics definitly the best looking Fire Emblem so far x good stable 30fps -Great Music as always ranges to soothing themes to rock but + some returning ost -Great way of telling the story with cgi cutscenes gone are the horrid 2d/3d hybrid cutscenes -Has online
    Fire Emblem Engage

Pros
    -Has online feature Tower of Trials

Cons
    Strange story pacing sometimes too fast sometimes to slow
    Weird dialogs because off strange localization choices

Gameplay
    In my opinion Fire Emblem Engage is a fine return to its roots with more focus on the strategic elements which are visible trough the return of the weapon triangle, better map designs and new elements like Emblem rings and Break mechanics which takes things in a fresh direction.
    But it also took some notes from Three Houses with its hub base Somniel wheres you can talk with
    allies, collect items, buy/sell items & weapons, eat in caferteria, battle in the arena, tower of trial and more.

Technical aspect
    By far the best looking FIre Emblem to date with improved graphic, colorful designs, well modeled character models (even if you don't like the design they still did an awesome job of modeling them), stable 30fps, faster loadtimes.

Story
    The story this time is more akin to Awakening or Shadow Dragon and has one straight path instead of 2-3. The story is told in great cgi cutscenes and ingame cutscenes gone are the days of the horrible semi 2d /3d cgi cutscenes and the small frames pictures. The story felt more lighthearted and more like a saturday morning anime instead of a romance of three kingdoms story that the previous installment had. So in my opinions it's not bad just a different approach and depending on what you like more could be a good ir bad thing. The only bad thing is the strange pacing of the story and the weird choices of dialog in the localization.

So if you are realy looking for a similar game like three houses with the exact style of gameplay and story you may get dissapointed but if you're looking for more superb and strategic approuch of gameplay and don't mind the new elements and design choices you will definitly have fun with this game!

So decide for yourself its your life, your money buy it if you like the premise of the game anybody has right to have their opinion and should not be swayed by the internet.
  48. En1
    Jan 29, 2023
    The gameplay is easily the best it's been for the series in years, and the map objectives are varied, the emblem mechanic may seem fanservicey for the sake of it but they do a good job of not stepping on the toes of the story at hand. As for the story, it's simple but it's well executed, people seem to be of the mind of, if it's not complex or revolutionary it's mediocre, its prettyThe gameplay is easily the best it's been for the series in years, and the map objectives are varied, the emblem mechanic may seem fanservicey for the sake of it but they do a good job of not stepping on the toes of the story at hand. As for the story, it's simple but it's well executed, people seem to be of the mind of, if it's not complex or revolutionary it's mediocre, its pretty enjoyable if you let yourself kick back and have fun with it.The characters are vibrant and varied and have some fun support conversations, they have about the same amount of depth as usual with the series, even in the previous entry, Fire Emblem Three Houses, many of the characters start off one note or have a trait that's surface level, but as you get to know them more, you learn there's more to them than just that, the side content of the game can be ignored if it's not your cup of tea but it's a treat, somniel is a pretty sizeable area to mess around in and is a nice break after a difficult map. Some downsides are that the pacing of the game can drag a fair bit somewhere towards the middle of it, and that certain resources to improve your units, such as SP and weapon materials, are bit hard to amass, overall, Fire Emblem Engage isn't anything revolutionary in the series but what it is, is another good entry that returns and refined some of the tactical elements that were lost in the previous outing, if they can keep up releasing games of this caliber the future of the series looks bright. Expand
  49. Jan 24, 2023
    The Good: -Visually, the game is crisp and colorful, and the battle animations are smooth and dynamic.
    -Gameplay is as solid as it’s ever been; happy to see the return of the weapon triangle. From a purely tactical perspective, the engage mechanic adds a nice layer of strategy to the battles.
    The Bad: -The characters are *incredibly* bland, generic, and flat out forgettable. Support

The Bad:
    -The characters are *incredibly* bland, generic, and flat out forgettable. Support conversations are either so short or so shallow that even those don’t help flesh the characters out.
    -The voice acting, while not necessarily bad, is noticeably lower quality compared to Three Houses and Echoes.
    -The cutesy, ultra-anime style is just not my thing. Hard to take the characters and the world seriously when all the females look like 12 year-old vtubers. You can especially notice it with the emblem characters. Their faces look so child-like compared to their original designs.
    -The plot is basic to the nth degree. Honestly don’t think they could have come up with a more dull, hackneyed, and uninspired story if they tried.
    -The music is okay, but not up to the Fire Emblem standard.
  50. Jan 23, 2023
    Fire Emblem: Three Houses is one of my favorite games on the Switch and probably my favorite FE game. I even really enjoyed the Dynasty Warriors spin off game that came from it while not really being a big DW fan. So, coming into this, I had some pretty high expectations. And, while the gameplay has taken some pretty good steps forward, the story and characters absolutely kill any interestFire Emblem: Three Houses is one of my favorite games on the Switch and probably my favorite FE game. I even really enjoyed the Dynasty Warriors spin off game that came from it while not really being a big DW fan. So, coming into this, I had some pretty high expectations. And, while the gameplay has taken some pretty good steps forward, the story and characters absolutely kill any interest I have in continue playing it.
    Starting with the gameplay, the biggest addition are the Emblem Rings. Major upgrades for characters that have the "soul" of most of the previous FE games protagonists in them, even from games that have never seen a western release. They offer a ton of options for characters to upgrade their abilities and become a huge powerhouse on battlefield, even if it's not till right before the end of the game do you have the full compliment of rings at your disposal. There's also a new break mechanic that lets you, or your opponent, smash the current weapon they're holding so they can't retaliate for a little bit. And healers can now be used as offensive units as they're now all martial artists, allowing them to smash the bow, tome, and dagger weapons instead of just standing back and healing all the time. There's definitely enough here to definitively say that the gameplay has taken a step forward and, because all characters now move much more fluidly on the battlefield, things are much smoother then they ever have been before and that's very nice.
    However it's the story and characters where the game is truly let down. The story is an extremely generic "kill the evil dragon" fantasy type story, which is a huge downgrade from the political and religious intrigue from the previous game. Each character is either good just because or evil just because and it became extremely boring when I had to sit through an almost endless amount chapters that never went anywhere except to introduce yet another trope-filled character that had zero personality other then what it's trope said it had to be. There are way too many characters here, so many that it will be virtually impossible to level more then your standard 8-10 characters on a playthrough. But the biggest let down in the main character, Alaer. Even though they are a literal God in this universe, and are treated as such by each character who interacts with them, even the bad guys, they are about as boring and pathetic as possible. Giving them a voice might have backfired cause they were just so annoying the entire game. I played as the male character so it might be different with the female character, but I absolutely despise them.
    I was let down by this game. While I really like the gameplay, and that's the only reason I'm giving this game the score I am, the story and characters attached to it are just so bad it's beyond saving. There's no reason to replay this game after completing the main story and, even with an expansion pass, I can't see myself ever coming back to this game. This is such a setback for the Fire Emblem franchise. While I don't see it being the last one, this one left such a bad taste in my mouth that I don't know if I'll be coming back to it.
  51. Jan 25, 2023
    A Fire Emblem game that sacrifices everything the series has in service of combat and mass-market appeal. If this is your first Fire Emblem, you might greatly enjoy it's expressive combat, beautiful colour direction, and high production values. Maybe even getting interested in the prior games via the Emblems. If you're a returning Fire Emblem fan though, you can very well be disappointedA Fire Emblem game that sacrifices everything the series has in service of combat and mass-market appeal. If this is your first Fire Emblem, you might greatly enjoy it's expressive combat, beautiful colour direction, and high production values. Maybe even getting interested in the prior games via the Emblems. If you're a returning Fire Emblem fan though, you can very well be disappointed by the absolutely hollow story, ill-fitting character designs, sorry excuses for Supports/Bonds, and constantly reminded of the better games that came before it via the Emblems.
    Fire Emblem Engage tries to capture a broader, outside audience, completely forgetting what made both the veterans and the 3Houses crowd like it in the first place.
  52. Jan 29, 2023
    It's not as engaging as Three Houses. It's more streamlined, which is actually a good thing in my view as Three Houses had a fair bit of bloat, especially with the repetition inherent in the game design for that one, but it doesn't have the same character. Indeed the characters range from mediocre to awful, and the plot is uniformly poor. I also hate the character design in this one - theIt's not as engaging as Three Houses. It's more streamlined, which is actually a good thing in my view as Three Houses had a fair bit of bloat, especially with the repetition inherent in the game design for that one, but it doesn't have the same character. Indeed the characters range from mediocre to awful, and the plot is uniformly poor. I also hate the character design in this one - the blue and red motif inparticular annoys me at a fundamental level.

Fire Emblem still hasn't reached the heights it achieved with Awakening. Engage isn't 'bad'; it's just not great, and when you've played past entries and know just how great the series can be, that makes it a difficult one to review with any objectivity. If you're a series newcomer, maybe you'll give this a bit more leeway than I am, but I honestly can't see anyone being blown away by this regardless of your past with the series.

My advice would be to go and pick up Fire Emblem: Awakening if you want to see the series at its' best in the modern era.

Full Disclosure: I haven't completed this game, I'm around 15 hours in, but I've basically lost interest at this point and felt comfortable scoring it.
  53. Jan 28, 2023
    The combat is good but the story is awful. Idk how they can have such a massive and good story in 3 houses then go to this. Feels like a b team made it whole the main team is working on the next ambitious one.
  54. Jan 28, 2023
  55. Jan 25, 2023
    Just how do you guys manage to post your reviews here? Yet again, I had a lengthy review written for a game, yet again this site won‘t let me post it for no reason.

Then again, pretty much everything you need to know has already been written many times here. Just read the reviews that give a score between 4 and 7. Everything above or below is fanboying or hating.
  56. Jan 29, 2023
    While I understand everyone who doesn't like this game, I disagree. Yes, the story is very bad for Fire Emblem standards, however the gameplay might just be the best one in the series. The graphics look amazing, even though the artstyle is controversial, I liked it. Emblems are fun to use and need a lot of calculation to be used efficiently. The OST is great and the battle animations haveWhile I understand everyone who doesn't like this game, I disagree. Yes, the story is very bad for Fire Emblem standards, however the gameplay might just be the best one in the series. The graphics look amazing, even though the artstyle is controversial, I liked it. Emblems are fun to use and need a lot of calculation to be used efficiently. The OST is great and the battle animations have never been better. The Somniel is a way better feature than the monastery, since you aren't forced to be there in 50% of your gametime like in Three Houses. The new Characters on the other hand feel kinda boring and Supports aren't great. You can really feel that the Gameplay was made by people who love Fire Emblem. The Story and the characters however, are not. Expand
  57. Jan 26, 2023
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Amazing game from someone who never got fire emblem before and I am loving the rings mechanic, the combat feels so good and I like the sommiel however this feels hit and miss in areas as some people are biased with this being a follow up to three houses when it wasn’t. I feel it’s good but it needs more cohersive work with it and it also needs more to do social life sim wise for me Expand
  58. Jan 26, 2023
    Have to rate this game this low to fight back against the senseless English localization of the game. I want to play these Japanese games as the developers intended. Not as the Nintendo of America team think I need to so that I won’t be offended.
  59. Jan 28, 2023
    I'm not big fan of Fire Emblem, but Three Houses was one of the best tactics in which I have ever played.
    Fire Emblem Engage much worse, than Three Houses. First of all absolutely stupid plot, characters action like imbeciles, in one moment I thought that story was written school girl as homework fanfic.
    Gameplay interesting, graphics also on high level, but all other aspects awful
    Gameplay interesting, graphics also on high level, but all other aspects awful realised.
    For me Fire Emblem Engage is 50/50, but Three Houses better and Tactics Ogre: Reborn much better.
  60. Jan 26, 2023
    I am very conflicted about this game. On one hand, the gameplay and map design are fantastic. They reminds me fondly of some of the better conquest maps. The engage mechanic works really well and keeps combat interesting. But the story and characters are just not up to those of three houses, or even the old-school fire emblem game. It's not fates level bad, but the story never grabbed meI am very conflicted about this game. On one hand, the gameplay and map design are fantastic. They reminds me fondly of some of the better conquest maps. The engage mechanic works really well and keeps combat interesting. But the story and characters are just not up to those of three houses, or even the old-school fire emblem game. It's not fates level bad, but the story never grabbed me and I never felt incentivized to max out the character's supports, as they were almost all lackluster and light on any meaningful dynamics. I was disappointed when I reached the end of the game and found out that they also didn't bother putting in paired endings for other characters,. The lack of a NG+ mode on launch is also disappointing, even if it is nice maddening difficulty is available day 1. Additionally, due to the non-branching story, it's much less replayable than three houses or fates. Overall, a great game if you're looking for a tactical RPG, but those seeking out a solid story and characters are better off going with the recently ported to switch (and much cheaper) persona titles. Expand
  61. Jan 31, 2023
    U got to be kidding me. How did they go from Nintendo's Top RPG to a disastrous weeb game? This is exactly the 'Xenoblade 2' of Fire Emblem.

Combat? Gameplay? Okay. I enjoyed it. UNTIL the ring polish. You think it's just a small little feature? Welp, Def not for someone like me who've built old memories with the series. I can't believe how they dishonored their entire hero with just a side feature. BRUH. It made me so uncomfortable. Some of them are married and even have a child. And I hear dirty lines and moaning from each historic characters for polishing... a ring...? That's a huge damage they've done to their hero's reputation AND their gaming history. I as an old FE fan, have to put this as the worst game released from Intelligent System. Terrible story, useless side features, and censored lines. Just nope.

I would give 4 bc of gameplay, but decided to rate '0' so they can learn that Kitajima is ruining their game. Just like he did for FE Fates. That weird 'petting', line censorship, and terrible writing always happens only when he's assigned for scenario. That's how bad influence he is to this series.
  62. Feb 1, 2023
    I will just list what I felt throughout gameplay.

- Satisfactory combat and animation. - Level of visual action lays on power rangers or precure - The artist doesn't seem to know what Fire Emblem is, or maybe her only FE game was the mobile Heroes. - Female characters full of lolis. - i thought to make comrades, but ended up with a bunch of ppl of cult of Divine Dragon (me). - No
    I will just list what I felt throughout gameplay.

- Satisfactory combat and animation.
    - Level of visual action lays on power rangers or precure
    - Female characters full of lolis.
    - No reason shown why they see me as their Idol, except that I'm just a Divine Dragon. Creepy.
    - Lines and actions that only weebs would take. JP players hated it even more than us.
    - ItnSys did not learn and inherited in the cursed scenario writer along with the weird petting. But worse this time.
    - No respect shown to old fans by making us listen dirty unpleasant lines from past heroes (ring cleaning minigame).
    - Definitely not worth for $60. It should be $10 or under.
  63. Jan 24, 2023
    Fire Emblem Engage is an embarrassment to the franchise.
    Fire Emblem Engage is an embarrassment to the franchise.
    It's not a 0/10 but it's definitely no higher than a 7 purely based on what it represents for the series. In the pre-Awakening games FE settings and stories took themselves seriously and were played straight. Starting with Awakening this changed to childish tongue-in-cheek self-parodying. Fates and Awakening were games for young children, with embarrassing, cringeworthy writing and dialogue and half assed generic plots. This likely stems from the fact that they no longer have the writing talent they once had. You're not going to squeeze a Genealogy of Radiant Dawn out of the current writers.
    However, Three Houses, the previous entry, attempted to recapture the magic of the older games by telling a serious, complex story that took itself seriously tonally and didn't cowardly retreat into self-satire to deflect from its deficiencies. Three Houses was not a perfect game, but it was a step in the right direction to restore some amount of dignity to the franchise.

With Engage, we now have all of that getting thrown into the trash in favour of a retreat into the shallowness and obnoxious tone of the Fateswakening era of games. The lead scenario writer, Nami Komuro, was even the main scenario writer for Fates and Awakening! Why did they bring back a writer who was universally panned? Who knows. Again, perhaps it was because they simply lack the talent that they used to have?
    I'm not surprised that Engage has received an immense amount of backlash for its tone and style. When people say "return to form", they really mean "return to Fateswakening", but the fanbase has moved on since then. People who once assumed FE was always childish and camp realised they were wrong when 3H attempted to tell a serious story. Expectations have been raised, people don't want a Saturday morning cartoon format anymore, they want real stories to get them invested in real characters.
    If this game came out in 2014, I'm sure people would have been fine with it. But it's not 2014 anymore, and people expect more from their FE games outside of their gameplay. The shallow cope perpetuated by people who had only played Fates and Awakening that "FE stories were always bad" has been thoroughly debunked and nobody is falling for it anymore. They can be good, it's just that the modern developers are lazy.

The gameplay mechanics are alright. Not good enough to make up for how the game fails in every other area. It could have the best gameplay in the franchise and it would still feel like a slog due to how childish and boring every other aspect is. It's also ironic that this is a series defined by perma death and making you feel an attachment to the units, when the average player wants to see every character from Fates, Awakening and Engage killed off for being a constant irritating presence.

It's honestly quite sickening to see these shallow and obnoxious characters dragging around the ghosts of old FE characters, attempting to beat nostalgia into the audience. All they do is serve as a reminder of how good Fire Emblem once was, and how good it could still be, if anybody currently working at Intelligent Systems cared as much about the history of the franchise as the random people they hired from Koei Tecmo for Three Houses. Sad.
  64. Jan 27, 2023
    The technical aspect of the game is the only positive thing about this game. The story is and the characters are very bad. I skip most of the support because they're unbearable. The devs locked some outfits behind some amibo **** and they released a $40 dlc on day 1. I hope it's not the new direction to the series. This has no replay value.

Fire Emblem Three Houses is way better than this crap.
  65. Jan 27, 2023
    Combat is good. Everything else is really bland and boring. Dialogue is really cringy at times. There is nothing special about any of the characters, designs are boring, some are weirdly proportioned like big body tiny head.. The MC design is atrocious not to sure why they approved it. The engage system is kind of a let down and doesn't really add anything except nostalgia. I played itCombat is good. Everything else is really bland and boring. Dialogue is really cringy at times. There is nothing special about any of the characters, designs are boring, some are weirdly proportioned like big body tiny head.. The MC design is atrocious not to sure why they approved it. The engage system is kind of a let down and doesn't really add anything except nostalgia. I played it for a couple of hours then went to eat something, came back and had no desire to continue playing didn't even care about the story. When I tried to play again later I found myself on Facebook 10 minutes into it because it was more interesting than this game. This game just doesn't hold my attention. The name engage is ironic because this game is not engaging at all. Expand
  66. Jan 28, 2023
    Fire Emblem Engage is probably one of the best Fire Emblem games to date, for many reasons. Beautiful graphics, great combat system that even OG players will enjoy. Overall it's a fire emblem game that will please the majority of fans. But that's not to say the game doesn't have it's faults, of course. Fire emblem Engage is not perfect, yes It's a vast improvement from the lastFire Emblem Engage is probably one of the best Fire Emblem games to date, for many reasons. Beautiful graphics, great combat system that even OG players will enjoy. Overall it's a fire emblem game that will please the majority of fans. But that's not to say the game doesn't have it's faults, of course. Fire emblem Engage is not perfect, yes It's a vast improvement from the last installment, but It still has it's problems of it's own, I will list some without spoilers.

The story is not great.

For long time fire emblem fans, one Thing that many of us can agree on is that the stories in most of the fire emblem games are not great. Awakening is very forgettable and over all not very well written. The Fate games lore is just not very good, and just just two of the many. But of course there are exceptions like Genealogy of the holy war, Three Houses, Echoes, and of course Radiant Dawn, games that have very rich and intriguing stories that will draw the player in. Overall I think a good story is essential in a game. It's what draw the player to play more, dig deeper into the game. So without a well written plot, what's the point of even playing the game?
    But again I'm not say the story is bad, I'm fact far from it. I just think it has too many cliches and generic trops in it. But over all I don't many people will have a problem with it.

Now let's talk about the good things about the game because there is a bunch.

1. Beautiful cutscenes, graphics and Character animation.
    2. Great cast of unique well designed characters.

3. Amazing voics acting.

4. The best the combat system has been in FE

5. Many fun and cool side activities to do besides the main story.

6. Supports with characters.

Overall I've had an amazing time with Fire Emblem Engage, and I plan on playing it many other times. For fire emblem Engage I give it a 10/10. Some people may thinks it's way to high, and it may be my own personal bias because I'm a huge FE fan. But I did genuinely have a great time playing and I think if you want to get into the franchise then this will be the best point to start.
  67. Feb 1, 2023
    I'm an RPG fan who ran across the series since Awakening. To those ppl assuming negative ratings come from otome crybabies, Let me tell you something.

I don't care about the S+ support and romance. That's a side feature to garnish the ending afterall. I don't know where yall have been reading those comments from, but yall aren't getting the major problem. Most say the same thing: Story, story and story. Note that Fire Emblem is an RPG game, a game that requires enough plot and setting so that it motivates us to take action as our character. Well, Engage failed to meet the average player's satisfaction due to lack of quality with all those childish plot, unnatural lines, weeb action, etc. Those features don't even reach the modern Shonen standards. No matter how much i tried enjoying the combat, the unbearable cutscenes and support lines kept ruining the fun. I can skip them all, but that would basically mean this game failed as an RPG.

So yea. I don't need any otome bishoujo element, especially after watching all those scenes.
    BUT
    I would rather have that than the uncomfy 'petting' feature they added back. Now that's more otome, but it came out to be nasty. That ring polishing with all that kimochi this, kimochi that... was absurd.
  68. Feb 1, 2023
    Don't know why they decided to throw good writing and good characters out the window with this latest installment in the FE series, but they did.
  69. Feb 1, 2023
    The character design is terrible. I'm not here to watch some kind of Vtuber war.
  70. Jan 22, 2023
    As others have said, it’s a solid game with excellent controls and a beautiful art style. The story isn’t as good as 3H and the characters aren’t as memorable, but aside from these differences it has made some welcome changes over 3H. The tactical combat is some of the best in the series, period, and I love the art style and relaxing vibe of the Somniel. The UI is also much better and itAs others have said, it’s a solid game with excellent controls and a beautiful art style. The story isn’t as good as 3H and the characters aren’t as memorable, but aside from these differences it has made some welcome changes over 3H. The tactical combat is some of the best in the series, period, and I love the art style and relaxing vibe of the Somniel. The UI is also much better and it feels way more streamlined to navigate.

The emblems are also a cool addition, and the AI itself is much better in Engage making it more fun to try out different emblem combinations.

I think in many respects this game is better than 3H, so giving it anything less than an 8 seems unjustified. Still I feel like 3H did such an incredible job with the characters, voice acting, and story, that this game just feels like it’s missing something by comparison. There are a few minor changes that do annoy me in this game. There are a lot of random lines that aren’t voice acted which seems like a strange choice after 3H voice acted nearly everything. I also felt like the tutorial/get to know the game on the beginning was too long, but these are minor gripes.

Overall Engage is an excellent game that doesn’t quite have the same heart as 3 Houses, but definitely makes up for it with a beautiful art style and tight controls. 8/10
  71. Jan 31, 2023
    My review 20 hours into the game; spoiler-free.

50% of the characters are clowns; both visual and personality-vise. Meanwhile, in the previous game there were very few clown characters (almost none). The story seems kind of okay so far. The graphics got slightly better; however many cutscenes still have a solid dead texture as a backdrop. Balance: bad, this is the worst part.
    My review 20 hours into the game; spoiler-free.

The story seems kind of okay so far.

Balance: bad, this is the worst part. The missions are either too easy or too difficult. I think there is some sort of error in the game logic when it cannot decide what should be the level of the enemies. The balance seemed way better in the previous game in the series: Fire Emblem Three Houses.

Overall I do not even feel like writing a honest detailed review for this game. Sorry but after running into literal WRONG balance issue there can be no redeeming factor for this game. In the end, I will not give it a 0 because that would not be fair; I give it a well-deserved FOUR out of ten; honest.

P.S. like other people pointed out; the balance is tuned to encourage player to replace characters in your party which is not a cardinal sin in itself I guess; but in this particular case it is done poorly
  72. Jan 27, 2023
    Engage feels like a mobile game and plays like it too.

Awful story, pointless dialogues, vapid characters, etc. Even the art style is immature and garish.

A massive disappointment after the sublime previous FE entry Three Houses.

This will be the first FE game I will not complete it's that bad.
  73. Jan 24, 2023
    This an awesome FE game, its story may be the classic hero journey like in Shadow Dragon and Awakening but it's a nice breath of fresh air to return the roots of the series instead of multiple routes with big drama like 3H, sometimes it's just nice to lay back and enjoy the gameplay with a simple but nice story :)
  74. Jan 27, 2023
    Engage undermines previous Fire Emblem games and characters. You hate to see it.
  75. Jan 28, 2023

The game's story is horrible, it has an online mode that doesn't quite work, and you have to do a lot of mini-games and repetitive farming between missions (not mandatory, but it provides too much improvement to pass up, especially if you play on high difficulty).

Fire Emblem engage seems to me a game totally based on combat, very large scenarios, full of enemies with nice animations. The amount of emblems and characters that there are allow a huge (even overwhelming) customization and depth. It forces you to measure very well not only your movements on the battlefield, but also how to manage your resources, who to equip the emblems to, what class they should have, what equipment to buy or improve...

In short, in this Fire Emblem they have completely left aside all the story and character interactions, but if you are looking for a real spectacular tactical challenge, Fire Emblem seems to me superior to Three Houses, although the latter is undoubtedly a much more rounded game.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)I have made an account simply to comment on this game. I'm seeing a lot of reviews that seem unfair to me although I understand the reasons for them.

76. Jan 30, 2023
    Engage and its consequences have been a disaster for the Fire Emblem series.
  77. Jan 23, 2023
    After awakening, I played every games except Echo, and Engage was the worst one .The only plus point of engage for me is that there are more yuri elements, but the character creation is poor.
  78. Jan 24, 2023
    This is a nursery school version!
    The Story is a bad Joke compared to the predecessor.
  79. Jan 26, 2023
    Cringe characters and story. This SRPG gets a big F on the RPG part. While maps are more complex than 3H everything else is still horribly unbalanced.
  80. Jan 29, 2023
    As a person who's been playing since Fire Emblem Fates I have to say this is one of the worst most boring games I've played EVER, period. I'm sorry but I actually love Fire Emblem Fates for its flaws even if it was hated l, but for some reason I can't stand this game. The story is absolute nonsense, characters talk like they are in some kind of baby cartoon and not just one or two butAs a person who's been playing since Fire Emblem Fates I have to say this is one of the worst most boring games I've played EVER, period. I'm sorry but I actually love Fire Emblem Fates for its flaws even if it was hated l, but for some reason I can't stand this game. The story is absolute nonsense, characters talk like they are in some kind of baby cartoon and not just one or two but nearly every character is the "anime joke character" here. It hurts me after fire emblem three houses - one of my favourite games of all time to see it slip so much. The story in that game in my opinion was actually a masterpiece and gets you thinking about the morality of your actions with memorable characters and THE MUSIC IS SO GOOD. Sorry I'm going too much on about much better game that anyone reading this should buy instead of engage. I pray other entries in the fire Emblem series are not like this and if you are on the edge of considering buying this game JUST DON'T. It has day 1 DLC and a inbuilt (although free) gacha system. - and I like games with them in sometimes...

I don't know if I'm going to continue playing...
  81. Jan 24, 2023
    Worst Fire Emblem game to date. Every single bit of dialogue feels like satire and the characters are extreme to a very unrealistic degree. Doesn't feel like they had the long time FE fans in mind when developing this, but rather leaning towards the younger generation and also with the latest trends in pop culture. That just seems too corporate to me and all my senses are telling to me toWorst Fire Emblem game to date. Every single bit of dialogue feels like satire and the characters are extreme to a very unrealistic degree. Doesn't feel like they had the long time FE fans in mind when developing this, but rather leaning towards the younger generation and also with the latest trends in pop culture. That just seems too corporate to me and all my senses are telling to me to hate this game. Expand
  82. Jan 25, 2023
    I love turned based combat. I love Fire Emblem. I just wrote a love letter to Chained Echoes. This game, it's story line, it's character voice-over, it's script..... unbearable. I should have listened to the reviews. This game is trash. Total cash grab.
  83. Jan 25, 2023
    Ok, I been playing the game, and nope, story is extremely bored and childish, look I can understand some stories could be slow but still those stories found a way to keep you eager to learn more about that story, but NO with this game, you could fall sleep with this game if not is because the battle system is like the best of this game, and still not enough to say the game worth completlyOk, I been playing the game, and nope, story is extremely bored and childish, look I can understand some stories could be slow but still those stories found a way to keep you eager to learn more about that story, but NO with this game, you could fall sleep with this game if not is because the battle system is like the best of this game, and still not enough to say the game worth completly becauae of that, Now lets talk about the engage stories, first I just read ENG version was censored, but to me is not just censored is more like they decide to rewrite every single event of the engage story for each character deleting all romance lines and change it by some generic and BORED lines, believe neither the Jap version is good either but english is Worst, is like you instead of engage your support you are making a partner/friend conversation but extremely generic and Cero love or romance, and last but not less, the character design, good lord, uninspired, bored clothes, the MC is ridiculous, and the models looka like they were made for a MMD video from 10 years ago, sorey this game have too many red cards, ia just a waste of time... Expand
  84. Jan 25, 2023
    As someone who has played many fire emblem games, I can say for certain the gameplay is amazing for engage! However, that's all the game really has going for it. It is flashy and I suppose meant to appeal to the hearts of nostalgia. Still, I wonder why so many would go as far to give it a 10. It is far from a 10. A 10 game would have more going to it than gameplay. At least the story inAs someone who has played many fire emblem games, I can say for certain the gameplay is amazing for engage! However, that's all the game really has going for it. It is flashy and I suppose meant to appeal to the hearts of nostalgia. Still, I wonder why so many would go as far to give it a 10. It is far from a 10. A 10 game would have more going to it than gameplay. At least the story in fates was a bit more engaging than engage. I finished the game, but I do not feel as though the gameplay is enough to get me to play it again. Sorry to the fans that cannot take criticism over this game that has not much plot and characterization, but it is a disappointing release. I just hope their next game has a bit more plot over this one. And dont get me wrong, I know there are people that don't play for plot, but games without a plot are not a 10. And yes, we will continue to compare it to 3 houses because 3 houses was a step forward while this one is a step back. Why else would they be adding 3 houses in the form of a dlc? Because they want to make use of the game some more. The highest I would give engage is a 6. Expand
  85. Jan 28, 2023
    This game is extremely expensive. The greedy developers are charging $60 for a turn-based game made with Unity. Are you freaking kidding me? The Unity engine should only be used for indie and free-to-play games. Not even EA is that greedy to sell me a Unity game for $60. As a matter of fact, I don't remember the last time I spent $60 on a game made with Unity. It just goes to show howThis game is extremely expensive. The greedy developers are charging $60 for a turn-based game made with Unity. Are you freaking kidding me? The Unity engine should only be used for indie and free-to-play games. Not even EA is that greedy to sell me a Unity game for $60. As a matter of fact, I don't remember the last time I spent $60 on a game made with Unity. It just goes to show how extremely cheap and lazy Nintendo are. Imagine charging $60 for an indie quality game. The graphics are a joke. It literally looks like a mobile game. The physics are beyond horrible. When I pay $60, I expect top notch AAA quality. That is exactly what this game lacks. The combat is boring and repetitive. The story is garbage and the dialogue is cringeworthy.

There is no multiplayer. So once you beat the story, there is literally not a reason to play this game again. Charging $60 for a game with no replay value is a cash grab. Remember when Nintendo used to brag about quality, to the point where they slapped a seal of quality on the cover of their games? They created that as a response for Atari's massive collection of shovelware, and now they have ironically become what they mocked. Nintendo is a multi-billion dollar company. There is no excuse for these cheapskates to sell shovelware made with Unity for $60. That's pathetic. I don't recommend this game at all, unless you want to support laziness.

Edit: Turns out there is a so-called multiplayer. Why didn't they put it in the main freaking menu? Jesus Christ are these developers so irrational. The co-op is a joke. It's just taking turns using the same army. You could literally play any turn-based game and pass the controller to another player, or you could go to Twitch and ask viewers for choices if you want online. That is not multiplayer. The PvP is playing against AI. There is no real-time PvP so my point still stands, there is no multiplayer.
  86. Jan 22, 2023
    Poor modeling and script. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the character design, but the 3D modeling.
    In terms of game system, it loses the degree of freedom and plot depth in the previous game, but it does not completely delete these contents. Instead, there is a semi-finished character plot and main story.At the same time, item collection is also annoying, you have to go to every corner of the map, after every battle!
    What is commendable is the combat system, adding the weapon restraint system, canceling the durability of weapons and so on. This is at least a good sign: players said the previous game's training system was too boring, so they simplified it; weapon durability was bad, so they removed it. I think the production team is at least listening to the players, which is why I gave it a 5.
    I think this one just serves players who are familiar with Fire Emblem from the previous titles, it shows the main characters from previous generations, maps and music from previous generations, and maybe they will reset the previous titles afterwards. But I don't think it's a passable Fire Emblem.
  87. Jan 24, 2023
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Can you believe that more than 70% of story dialogues and combat lines yelled by your units are composed of the term "Divine Dragon"?

Here are some examples:
    "Oh, Divine Dragon!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    "Wow, Divine Dragon is praising me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    "My mind is so cozy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Divine Dragon is praising me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    "My mind is so cozy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Divine Dragon stands before me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    "Divine Dragon, am I useful to you?"
    "Divine Dragon, am I good?"
    "Die for Divine Dragon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
    Yeah, you get the freaking ideas now, right?

Nearly every dialogue from your units is all about reactions of them seeing their worshipped God, Divine Dragon, a character controlled by player with lame voice and bland personality, appearing in the form of human before them.

It seems that the game developer really thinks that fans of Fire Emblem are just some kind of sadistic idiots who don't give a damn about story and character development, and will buy the game and all dlcs no matter what, neglecting game price, gameplay value, plot, character development, technical performance, as long as game on the hardest difficulty with permanent death would force them to reload thousand times to get their desired combat result because every player unit will die from 1-2 hits from any enemy units on such difficulty settings.
  88. Jan 23, 2023
    El juego en si es una gran evolución en lo que respecta a la saga, pero peca de ciertas falencias. Después de llegar al capitulo 12 mi experiencia la puedo resumir:

LO BUENO - La música del juego es increíble. - La guarida que se va ampliando de forma orgánica tras cada capitulo o extra. - El diseño grafico que le saca la potencia a la consola. - El sistema de Engage o anillos que

LO BUENO
    - La música del juego es increíble.
    - La guarida que se va ampliando de forma orgánica tras cada capitulo o extra.
    - El diseño grafico que le saca la potencia a la consola.
    - El sistema de Engage o anillos que aporta versatilidad.
    - La traducción en español no presenta modismos.
    - Las animaciones de batalla y los diversos escenarios de combate.
    - El sistema de combate que mejora el movimiento y se siente mas dinámico.
    - No presenta tantos problemas técnicos.
    - Si tienes los amiibos es la oportunidad de darles un uso y su recompensa vale la pena.
    - Logra un equilibrio justo entre novela visual "simplificada" y juego estrategia.
    - Misiones extras y con buena dificultad.
    - El tablón de donaciones y sus recompensas.
    - La torre de los retos que es un modo seudo online bien decente.

LO MALO
    - Su historia es bastante Meh! y si lo comparamos con sus entregas clásicas queda debiendo.
    - Se simplifico de sobremanera el sistema de relaciones.
    - El sistema de romances poco trabajado. Si lo comparamos con Awakening o incluso Fates que aportaban al desarrollo de la trama.
    - El protagonista a veces entra en su modo emo y cuesta tomarle algo de seriedad a lo historia.
    - Somniel esta desaprovechada, con personajes NPC estáticos y con 4 poses básicas: Mirada muerta, nadando, sentado y ejercicio. El único que se mueve es Somnie que aporta algo de vida a la base.
    - Personajes poco carismáticos, si lo comparamos con Three Houses que es su entrega mas cercana.
    - El diseño del protagonista que parece sacado de algún juego fandom de juego móvil.
    - Que el primer DLC de pago este disponible día 1. No costaba, dar la opción de importar partida guardada de Three House para desbloquear a Claude y otros.
    - Algunas escenas de relaciones que dan cringe. Del estilo poder de la amistad o pasado trágico no tan trágico XD.
    - Es bastante fácil crear un personaje roto que rompa el juego. ( Trata de variar el uso de anillos a máximo relacion 5 sino el juego es un paseo hasta en difícil.)
    - La granja esta desaprovechada y no justifica su existencia.
    - Si vienes de la saga clásica, los modelados de los personajes te decepcionaran un poco. Parecen sacados del Genshin o de una biblioteca de Vtuber.
    - Uno que otro mini juego que no aporta mucho y le quita la inmersión.

En conclusión, el juego cumple pese a dar la sensación de parecer una entrega menor de la franquicia. Muy a pesar de lo soso de su historia, personajes planos y momentos de vergüenza ajena. El juego se compensa bien por su apartado jugable, animaciones y un rendimiento notable en la consola.

En fin, debes darle una oportunidad si te gustan los Rpg Tácticos y si quieres que valga la pena juégalo en difícil.
  89. Jan 22, 2023
    Absolutely loving it so far. Just don't expect Three Houses 2.0, it's a more classical Fire Emblem approach with anime. It's a bit cheesy but nothing unexpected it you played some of past entries, it's still enjoyable. Gameplay is stellar, maps are ok, visual and performance is a huge improvement compared to the previous title. It's rare to see a big Nintendo Switch game running this well.Absolutely loving it so far. Just don't expect Three Houses 2.0, it's a more classical Fire Emblem approach with anime. It's a bit cheesy but nothing unexpected it you played some of past entries, it's still enjoyable. Gameplay is stellar, maps are ok, visual and performance is a huge improvement compared to the previous title. It's rare to see a big Nintendo Switch game running this well.

Overall it's a pretty good tactical game, I recommend you git it a try !
  90. Jan 23, 2023
    Engage is the epitome of soulless and only IntSys apologists will defend it out of brand loyalty.
  91. Jan 23, 2023
    Uhhhhhhhhggg nopes!! Dissapointed. 3H better. This game is…. Idk… sorry but no
  92. Jan 22, 2023
    Colourful, fun, and ENAGEing! (I am not sorry for that terrible pun!)

Easily a good recommendation for someone's first FE.
  93. Jan 22, 2023
    Game looks great, and is fun to play still, but mildly disappointed due to the lack of things to do in the base like in three houses, as I found those very fun just like in persona games, I do understand that its not the main point of these games, so that's a pass. Though it actually made me buy some of the older games, and on my way to finish those as well.
  94. Jan 23, 2023
    Decepcionado del juego ,muy mala trama ,personajes aburridos ,no lleno mis expectativas
  95. Jan 24, 2023
    The game play is fun and plenty tough. There's a whole lot of extra stuff that doesn't really add anything to the game and will be quite cumbersome for those looking to max out. Worst thing about the game is the story though. The characters are all forgettable and the dialogue for support is completely soulless. If you've plaid every other tactical RPG out there you could get this one, butThe game play is fun and plenty tough. There's a whole lot of extra stuff that doesn't really add anything to the game and will be quite cumbersome for those looking to max out. Worst thing about the game is the story though. The characters are all forgettable and the dialogue for support is completely soulless. If you've plaid every other tactical RPG out there you could get this one, but that seems pretty unlikely. Wait for it to go down in price if you want this one for your collection. Also say one DLC being the only way to get the heroes from the last game is pretty disgusting. Expand
  96. Jan 23, 2023
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game system is old-fashioned, the story is broken, and the characters are unappealing.
    A game of the lowest rank with no fun at all.
  97. Jan 23, 2023
    Not an RPG. no story to participate in it feels like a movie you watch and then battles to participate in. Game mechanic of battles are awful compared to three houses, hate everything they changed about battles and do not like the ring mechanics at all. Only good thing in the game is Sommie is cute but interacting with it is so slow and you can’t skip feeding or petting time so it takesNot an RPG. no story to participate in it feels like a movie you watch and then battles to participate in. Game mechanic of battles are awful compared to three houses, hate everything they changed about battles and do not like the ring mechanics at all. Only good thing in the game is Sommie is cute but interacting with it is so slow and you can’t skip feeding or petting time so it takes forever. I also feel like half of the time playing, you’re just waiting for the next scene to load. Do not recommend at all. Expand
  98. Jan 23, 2023
    Great gameplay with a some really interesting additions like the emblems, fairly decent supports, meh story, and it looks great.

The hub is a way smaller focus in the game unlike 3 houses, which is really good for what the game goes for. I was a bit resistant to the character designs pre-released, but I found to like a lot more then I thought and they really do grow on you. Background:

Background: been an FE fan since Awakening, no lifed 3 houses, and am on chapter 14 of the game.
  99. Jan 24, 2023
    The directer had no idea what he was doing. It was his first FE game and he wanted to make it for people who don't play FE while also making it an homage to the history of FE. Does that sound smart to you?

Look it up he's incompetent.
  100. Jan 28, 2023
    I am worried about the franchise after finishing this fame, while perfectly playable the game feels odd to me, somehow the mechanics and characters feel blander than awakening’s while I am enjoying the game way less than shadow dragon. So far, I also don’t feel invested in any oof the characters. I hope Nintendo and Intelligent Systems don’t follow this route for the following game.

Generally favorable reviews - based on 100 Critic Reviews

This is a good way to spend a few dozen hours once more. Hopefully they hire a good team of writers for the next game.
  2. Feb 2, 2023
    'Fire Emblem Engage' shines its charm of SRPG based on excellent combat system and character management. Even though there are some disappointments such as childish story and frequent loading screens, the game will never let down the players who focus on strategy and character growing side.
  3. Feb 2, 2023
    Fire Emblem: Engage offers a very pleasant and engaging combat system, but the story leaves a lot to be desired (especially when it comes to characters).