8.8

1. Oct 24, 2018
    Like many, I wanted to like this game but in the end decided it just wasn’t any FUN to play. My main beef would be the boss difficulty. While in of itself this isn’t terrible, every time you die (which will be lots) you respawn at a distance from the boss and have to grind through to get your way back and have another attempt at the battle. The graphics may be pretty, but the charmLike many, I wanted to like this game but in the end decided it just wasn’t any FUN to play. My main beef would be the boss difficulty. While in of itself this isn’t terrible, every time you die (which will be lots) you respawn at a distance from the boss and have to grind through to get your way back and have another attempt at the battle. The graphics may be pretty, but the charm wears off with the repetition, and dying punishes the player enough that you will end up cursing at the game Expand
  2. Jan 16, 2019
    A good metroidvania, but not great. It's fun, but repetitive and there are some questionable mechanics that seem to be there simply to pad out the run time of the game. The map mechanic is just annoying, needing to find an NPC in a maze of identical rooms with traps and pitfalls that you often can't see unless you've hit them once. Several of the broaches you collect that give youA good metroidvania, but not great. It's fun, but repetitive and there are some questionable mechanics that seem to be there simply to pad out the run time of the game. The map mechanic is just annoying, needing to find an NPC in a maze of identical rooms with traps and pitfalls that you often can't see unless you've hit them once. Several of the broaches you collect that give you "abilities" just end up making your character feel normal, instead of improved, like the broach that prevents you from bumping backward after a strike.

The game does get more fun as you play, but the first several hours are a slog and it doesn't feel like it was a necessary one. It just feels like you start of lacking several basic abilities/characteristics that any standard metroidvania needs to make your character competent, and the only seeming explanation is "We needed a level up type system because all games have them now."

The art style is interesting, but a little too bland for its own good as the novelty of it quickly wears off. The music is there, but doesn't really add anything. The controls are good, but could be a little bit tighter. The gameplay is fun, but its been done much better very recently.

TLDR: Skip Hollow Knight. It's fun, but there's better stuff out there.
  3. Aug 18, 2018
    Hollow Knight is a 2d metroidvania style game that mixes together platforming and combat as the player explores a labyrinth like underground world.

The visuals and sound design are more than worthy of the praise they’ve received and really help to create an interesting, and unique feeling, world. The controls are also well implemented and help to make both the platforming and combat satisfying.

Unfortunately I found this to largely all be undermined by the games design and the way that it never offers any clue as to where you should be going next. Every time you enter a new area you have to find an NPC before you gain access to the map, finding this NPC can often be a time consuming and frustrating experience as without the map navigating the similar looking areas successfully is all bit impossible. The problems don’t end there either, even once you find the map it’s still not clear which of the many directions available you’ll be able to traverse without unlocking additional powers. There is no real fast travelling from most areas either and check points (rest stations) are often spaced relatively far apart and dieing, which will happen quite often, means spending even more time repeating areas to get back to where you was. I’m all for games that don’t try to hold your hand but I played Hollow Knight for 6-7 hours before giving up and I’d estimate at least 4 of those hours were spent wandering around just trying to work out where I was supposed to be going!!

There is much to admire about this title but in the end it was all just too frustrating.
  4. Sep 27, 2018
    A deeply flawed game that is somehow compelling enough to keep you strolling on through it's horribly slow pace. Don't believe the people who say this is a masterpiece or an incredible metroid vania. It is a good game, a fairly average side scroller anda decent metroid vania. It's held back by it's rythym combat, it's trial and error bosses that tip the balance with player skill failingA deeply flawed game that is somehow compelling enough to keep you strolling on through it's horribly slow pace. Don't believe the people who say this is a masterpiece or an incredible metroid vania. It is a good game, a fairly average side scroller anda decent metroid vania. It's held back by it's rythym combat, it's trial and error bosses that tip the balance with player skill failing the balance, it's god awful slowness the first few hours, the developers cheap way to extend gameplay and avoid having to animate a good chunk of enemies by implementing contact damage to all enemies among many other things.
    I hope you, like me, do not get drawn in by the near universal praise. There are so many other Medroid-vanias this year on PS4 and switch that deserve higher praise than this. It's a good game, nothing more.
    If you want a much better game than this with the same artstyle and Metroid-vania base try Dust and elysian tail or Ori and the blindforest on PC.
  5. Dec 20, 2019
    This game is so good I bought it twice just to give a friend an experience of a lifetime. If you enjoy immersion in a game where the music and aethesitic pulls you in and never let you go, then jump right in and enjoy the ride. I guarantee if nothing else, you will have a wallpaper worthy screenshot every sitting. This game will blow all other metroidvania clones away.
  6. Mar 16, 2019
    The game is great from an artistic and controls perspective, but the difficulty is excessively unforgiving. Without any prior warning, dying twice will lose all of your collected money you made over the past day or so playing the game, encouraging heavy grinding to get it back. Wasted far too many hours trying to get back money lost from accidentally dying twice to some explosive plantsThe game is great from an artistic and controls perspective, but the difficulty is excessively unforgiving. Without any prior warning, dying twice will lose all of your collected money you made over the past day or so playing the game, encouraging heavy grinding to get it back. Wasted far too many hours trying to get back money lost from accidentally dying twice to some explosive plants and at this point am just getting sick of it. I read online that spending 1k at the shop you can get a key to unlock the crypt to the far right and get your money back~ but when going to there you discover that it's only previous death, which doesn't help at all and is a huge waste of a grind to unlock an waste your time on.

The bosses are fun, the level design is fine, the world is easy to get lost in (in a bad way). I did enjoy the game up until the point I lost all my money; so you'll probably enjoy it too as long as you make sure to use the bank.

And as much as I hate to call anything overhyped; the people saying it is overhyped are absolutely correct. It's a good game and all but definitely not a masterpiece.

Also as an aside when looking up what peoples thoughts on the dying twice all your money penalty; people generally came to the consensus that the person should just "get good", which kind of hints at a very cancerous community.
  7. Apr 1, 2019
    One of the most frustrating games I've ever played. No direction or assistance at all. You never know if you're in the right area, if you have the right skills, or if you're even making progress. This game is a great example of the power of hype.

Thought the visuals and soundtrack were great. Would have loved it if the game helped me more.
  8. Jun 13, 2018
    Much like the disappointing Owlboy, HK simply doesn't live up to the hype. I find it quite dull and have fallen asleep twice while playing it. Don't spend more than $7 on the game... too bad.
  9. Jun 28, 2019
    Well the game isn't bad, I like the graphics, the level design, the atmosphere, the gameplay etc ... but jezz the difficulty is horrendous, is cheap and is a chore that when you die in a boss (you are going to die, die, die, die, die, die, DIIIEEEEE!!! A LOT in every boss) you respawn in a checkpoint that almost always are faaar away and you have to walk a lot to try and die again, andWell the game isn't bad, I like the graphics, the level design, the atmosphere, the gameplay etc ... but jezz the difficulty is horrendous, is cheap and is a chore that when you die in a boss (you are going to die, die, die, die, die, die, DIIIEEEEE!!! A LOT in every boss) you respawn in a checkpoint that almost always are faaar away and you have to walk a lot to try and die again, and again, and again ... Expand
  10. May 13, 2019
    Eu gostaria de poder gostar de hollow knight, afinal sua arte linda e uma construção de mundo muito interessante, porem sus pontos positivos não superam o seu pior defeito uma dificuldade artificial que não exige habilidade nenhuma apenas uma dedicação de tempo absurda e alguma sorte.
  11. Oct 5, 2018
    This game is either a 10 or a 0. If you’re a masochist or a person who doesn’t mind getting so angry because of the difficulty of the game’s bosses that you want to start punching your pets or screaming profanities at your elderly neighbors, then this game is a 10. I could go into the details, but just trust me, the game is nearly perfect. But if you do mind getting extremely angry, thenThis game is either a 10 or a 0. If you’re a masochist or a person who doesn’t mind getting so angry because of the difficulty of the game’s bosses that you want to start punching your pets or screaming profanities at your elderly neighbors, then this game is a 10. I could go into the details, but just trust me, the game is nearly perfect. But if you do mind getting extremely angry, then STAY THE F*** AWAY FROM THIS GAME. Expand
  12. Feb 5, 2019
    It is a bit funnier that Shovel knight (and more rewarding somehow) but still it is a hard game (dying repetitively on bosses is boring for me) but the ambiance/graphics and exploration are cool. It still annoy me that general tendency is to do hard games - or not putting the option of an easy game, here on bosses only: as a consumer, I try to avoid as soon as I am aware of it and onceIt is a bit funnier that Shovel knight (and more rewarding somehow) but still it is a hard game (dying repetitively on bosses is boring for me) but the ambiance/graphics and exploration are cool. It still annoy me that general tendency is to do hard games - or not putting the option of an easy game, here on bosses only: as a consumer, I try to avoid as soon as I am aware of it and once again I failed. Now I died 30 times on Hornet, trying to optimize everything (amulet with recovery, cocoon near to get 2 extra life each time...), I know what to do (I have the pattern of attacks) but still not managing to do it. I'm on the mode of opening the game for 10 death and close it to play something else. Maybe one day I will discover more of the game, which I found intriguing and interesting (I explored everything else possible with my limited options) and no I don't have the impression to personally learn something from this fight...
    Update: 20 hours later, I enjoy a bit more some part (collected 25 charms and starting to do combo with them), still avoiding as much as possible bosses (I only did false knight, hornet, dung defender and broken vessel), still facing a lot of death :)
  13. Aug 23, 2019
    Excellent gameplay, fine-tuned handling, a great soundtrack and effects, and the animation is smooth and precise, with only a couple occasional 'camera jumps' that do not affect play or movement. The game has a huge world that is fun to explore, which is where most of the enjoyment came for me. If I could rate the game based on these factors alone, it would be a 10.

The plot, however,

The plot, however, was unfortunately and obviously an afterthought (admitted by Team Cherry). It is dark and gets darker, sparse in the beginning and really picking up speed toward the end of the game. There are multiple endings, most of which are behind a very serious difficulty ramp late-game that has seen many a player rage-quit and none of which, in my opinion, turn out well for the Knight that is attempting to clean up the mess others left behind. Also, one of the many random NPCs is a character that is obviously meant to be disabled and is busy poking her young with a sharp stick, which some may find disturbing or even triggering.

This was a fun play until the difficulty got to be too much and the plot issues overwhelmed any remaining sense of achievement. I can only hope the upcoming Silksong pays closer attention to this. Still worth a play, though.
  14. Oct 23, 2019
    Fair warning - this game is massive, and takes an average of 30 to 40 hours to complete. If you're looking for a game that is moderately difficult and has a reasonable number of checkpoints - Hollow Knight is not for you. If you're looking for a game which gives you a map, clear instructions, and quick upgrades - Hollow Knight is not for you. If you're looking for a game where you can getFair warning - this game is massive, and takes an average of 30 to 40 hours to complete. If you're looking for a game that is moderately difficult and has a reasonable number of checkpoints - Hollow Knight is not for you. If you're looking for a game which gives you a map, clear instructions, and quick upgrades - Hollow Knight is not for you. If you're looking for a game where you can get lost in the world, enjoy a haunting orchestral soundtrack, and fight your estranged soul for gold - Congratulations! This is the game for you.

Mechanics-wise, the bug protagonist handles reasonably well. He can turn on a dime, attack in the four cardinal directions, and eventually gain other skills such as dash. My only complaints are that his reach is sadly short and his jump is floaty. While there are upgrades to increase his reach, they are found a few hours into the game, meaning that most fights up until that point are hit and runs. As for his jump, the floaty quality only becomes a problem when attempting to attack aerial enemies. As soon as the jump button is released in favor of the attack button, he begins to fall.

All in all, this is a game that requires commitment. While I still haven't finished it and it isn't on my top five list, I have to admire all of the work that went into making it.
  15. Jan 22, 2020
    The first 80% of this game is fantastic, it sets an amazing and mysterious tone and provides challenging platforming sections and bosses. This world is shattered however when you reach the white palace. Suddenly the game is full of moving saw blades and bouncing spikes that require literally pixel perfect platforming and millisecond timing, totally shattering the immersion of the worldThe first 80% of this game is fantastic, it sets an amazing and mysterious tone and provides challenging platforming sections and bosses. This world is shattered however when you reach the white palace. Suddenly the game is full of moving saw blades and bouncing spikes that require literally pixel perfect platforming and millisecond timing, totally shattering the immersion of the world they have built. The king lived in this palace full of his sycophants? Really? Such a crushing blow to what was an amazing game. Expand
  16. Jan 23, 2020
    Don't think me wrong,this game is very good.It has great mechanics,satisfying combat,a good enviroment and soundtrack.But to be fair,it is more iritating than fun to me.In this game you must be prescise af.The enemies always do unpredicted moves and will hit you ver often,but the problem comes to bosses.You need about 200 hits to kill bosses later in the gameyou feel like you almost beatDon't think me wrong,this game is very good.It has great mechanics,satisfying combat,a good enviroment and soundtrack.But to be fair,it is more iritating than fun to me.In this game you must be prescise af.The enemies always do unpredicted moves and will hit you ver often,but the problem comes to bosses.You need about 200 hits to kill bosses later in the gameyou feel like you almost beat him and youdo the same thing 10 minutes,and then he has a second stage and he beats you and yoi get bored af.This game is very challenging and definetely not recommended if you want to have fun.If you want challenge,then this game is absolutely fo you. Expand

Universal acclaim - based on 27 Critic Reviews

1. Sep 10, 2018
    A very fun game and full of interesting characters is what await players in this incredible adventure. If you like Metroid style games, Hollow Knight will leave you satisfied.
  2. NF Magazine
    Sep 5, 2018
    There's never a low point. Only the desire for more. [Issue #35 – September/October 2018, p. 17]
  3. Sep 4, 2018
    Hollow Knight in its original PC form was exemplary, but now it has landed on Nintendo Switch, complete with all the bells and whistles that have been laden upon the gorgeous adventure since launch, as well as fresh post-release content. This proves to be the perfect antidote for those suffering from Super Metroid withdrawal symptoms. Team Cherry's ode to Nintendo's great may well have edged past its original inspiration. It truly is the game that just keeps on giving; absolutely sublime, in every sense of the word.