GKIDS | Release Date: January 14, 2022
7.5
Generally favorable reviews based on 66 Ratings
Watch Now
ChatclawsJan 15, 2022
Such a great movie! Voice actress was beyond amazing and the songs were so heart felt
JohneyBoy100Jan 14, 2022
Really enjoyed this movie. Was a different and refreshing take on the Beauty and the Beast story.
The story, characters, amazing soundtrack, and fantastic visuals all kept me engaged and entertained for the entire movie.
Some reviews have
Some reviews have stated that the movie feels disjointed at times and confusing, however I did not find that to be the case at all. Even assuming it creates confusion for you I believe it would still be worth a viewing since it's visually beautiful and the soundtrack is excellent.
(Review based on a subtitled showing)
Bradh6886Jan 16, 2022
Absolutely floored by BELLE. Stunning animation over a beautifully layered script, tackling topics from self discovery to compassion to coming of age. Not the biggest fan of this animation subgenre but I was won over in minutes. Great to seeAbsolutely floored by BELLE. Stunning animation over a beautifully layered script, tackling topics from self discovery to compassion to coming of age. Not the biggest fan of this animation subgenre but I was won over in minutes. Great to see non Disney films be this powerful. Expand
bertobellamyJan 25, 2022
Sure, 'Belle' explores an unoriginal concept —social media as a double-edged sword—; some subplots feel very random, and the out-of-nowhere finale, although somewhat dark, lacks development. Despite all of this, it's hard to call it aSure, 'Belle' explores an unoriginal concept —social media as a double-edged sword—; some subplots feel very random, and the out-of-nowhere finale, although somewhat dark, lacks development. Despite all of this, it's hard to call it a failure. The visuals, especially those of "U" —the virtual world where Suzu, the protagonist, escapes her sorrow to turn into Bell, a world-renowned singer — are breathtaking; the 3-D graphics blend seamlessly with the 2-D animation to create exhilarating vistas full of cool characters. And, of course, the drama and anxiety around Suzu translate very well the teenage angst of a traumatized girl that, in the end, finally understands the soothing power of opening herself to others. Loved the music and the Spanish (Latin) dub. Expand
MarkTakayamaJan 27, 2022
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What an anime! The picture is beautiful. I really loved rivers, mountains, and people in the Kochi area where Suzu lived. It made me hungry when I saw katsuo no tataki that is a signature sashimi food in Kochi. Yes, Kochi is safe, people are so nice. On the other hand, Tokyo might not be safe! You will see the reason after you watch the movie! Expand
Experiment626Jan 14, 2022
Went into this thinking Beauty and the Beast, Ready Player One, and Jem and the Holograms. And to an extent, that does sum up the core elements. It sounds like cheese, but the story and characters work. It kept me engaged the whole time.Went into this thinking Beauty and the Beast, Ready Player One, and Jem and the Holograms. And to an extent, that does sum up the core elements. It sounds like cheese, but the story and characters work. It kept me engaged the whole time. Like 'Your Name', this movie takes a turn into the serious that I wasn't expecting. This makes the story much more compelling. I recommend at least one watch for Belle. Expand
celfhelpJan 19, 2022
i think the best way to watch this film is to ignore the "Beauty and the Beast" angle of the marketing.

yes, this film *contains* a 'retelling' of the classic tale, but that is far from the whole point of the film. this film explores a hopeful and optimistic view of what internet connectivity can enable and birth. THAT is the heart of this film, and it should come as no surprise that some terminally online folk miss the point/execution of a film commenting on the state/potential of being terminally online.

this film is hosoda's best so far, followed closely by mirai, and while it may lose some viewers due to how exceptionally japanese it is, it is easily one of the best films of this/last year, and one of the best anime films in recent memory.

i'm not a fan of "dubs" still being a thing in anime, for the same reason i don't like live-action foreign films being dubbed, but i guess i understand why it's still happening. i watched the subtitled version and the acting was exceptional. in addition to kaho nakamura's singing voice being entirely untouchable, it's kind of hard to believe this is her first acting gig. while i'm very familiar with how japanese artists (including voice actors) approach channeling/conveying emotion, i was still in a state of awe at some of the moments she pulls off. "breathtaking" barely does it justice.

all of that said, from everything i've heard, they cast english voice actors who come surprisingly close to their JP counterparts; Kylie McNeill in particular is extremely impressive, and she (probably unintentionally) emphasizes the difference between theater acting and typical english "voice acting". if we gotta have anime dubs for a while yet, they should absolutely make a shift into using theater actors more.
InShaneJan 15, 2022
"Belle" was... Decent. The film certainly wins in the "Sound and Visuals" department (It would have been great to see it in XD), but the story felt a bit forced: There was a lot of on the nose exposition and VERY linear story telling. All"Belle" was... Decent. The film certainly wins in the "Sound and Visuals" department (It would have been great to see it in XD), but the story felt a bit forced: There was a lot of on the nose exposition and VERY linear story telling. All of that, coupled with the fact that the movie is way too similar to it’s predecessor, "Summer Wars," it almost had me bored at times.

However, it did a fine job blending the real life and virtual aspects of the story together and the final act really subverts expectations in a meaning full and important way.

This isn't Mamoru Hosoda's best film, but it was enjoyable at bare minimum…
NeisJan 16, 2022
What drew me to this film were definitely the visuals and soundtrack. After seeing little bits and pieces of it floating around on the internet, I was inspired to reserve a ticket and see for myself the spectacle that awaits me.

While

While watching the film, I was tickled at the little references to the original Disney's Beauty and Beast as well as the little references to pop culture and table top games that, while used sparingly, are a delight to see animated. The soundtrack was so addicting that they may as well be the highlight of the movie. The animation was definitely a sight to behold. Seeing a whimsical 2D animation get shown along with the 3D animation to feel the difference between the real and virtual world was such a delightful spectacle to see executed. There were some areas where in both 2D and 3D where there were some animations that were reused, but were done sparingly. There was a spot where you could think "Oh, the animators definitely took a break here", but that doesn't suggest a drop in quality.

What brought me down to earth were certainly the story and characters. While they were engaging and emotional, I felt that the points introduced in the story could've been explored further to enhance the engagement some more. There were definitely scenes that should bring up the tension, but I didn't feel it was to the edge of my seat because a lot of stakes or consequences weren't preset, so seeing high-octane action in the movie will get more confusion rather than tension out of me. I've watched the film in its English dub and it turned out amazing. The actors have definitely conveyed the emotions of their characters and then some. Though due to how the characters are written, there were a lot of characters, but not much to explore outside of their tropes or twists, if there are any, which are also pretty entertaining. This may have made actors feel a bit more limited in what they could convey on screen.

The commentary of the movie didn't seem push any conversation forward as this was more or less a representation of the virtual and real world blending together, much like what is starting to happen here in real life. The commentary stills stays with "The virtual world is a space where you can take a step out of your life and figure out how to solve your problems". However, there weren't too many conversations that offered a counterargument to that.

The story's concept also felt extremely interesting, but could have been expanded further to really capture me. Had there been an expansion of the rules of the world both in the real life and virtual side of the film, I'd certainly have been far more engaged. This concept of living in another world outside of real life has been explored to an extent in anime, but this idea of syncing the five senses through the phone and wireless earphones has me really interested. Here were some questions that I had when watching the movie: What happens to the human body as the person is entering the virtual world? Does the person retain awareness of the real world or do they fall into a sort of trance? Have there been any accidents that happened when someone is accessing the virtual world outside their home? What happens if the earphones were forcefully removed? Where's the line where privacy is drawn? What are the consequences should an avatar be physically beaten or injured? What are the limitations of flying in the virtual world? How were families concerned when their children started engaging with the virtual world? I have a feeling that had these questions been answered, we might've been able to see a more engaging storyline.

The main strength of the film is definitely in animation and the soundtrack with flying colors. It has pushed the boundaries of Japanese-style animation even further and probably have given the animators more tricks and tools to use for their next project. The performance of what the actors and animators have been given definitely carried the story to its finish line, but I felt that the story could have been expanded further. Given its runtime of a little over 2 hours, it's certainly a concept that could be explored with at least 2 full anime seasons and then some. I hope to see a similar concept pop up in the future, whether that is in a movie or in another anime season. It seems like a waste for it to disappear as further exploration could lead to something really big and open up commentary to the next generation of our time. I hope to see perhaps the writer of this movie here or another project with a writer who could be brave enough to take that next step forward in that conversation.
AkastavoJan 21, 2022
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Belle was a movie that set out to show, say, express, and bring together a multitude of different ideas. The problem is by the end of the movie none of the different angles the movies goes for are fleshed out enough. Is it supposed to be a character driven drama? Is it an action love story? Is it a musical? I understand it doesn't need to necessarily be 1 specific thing, however, no particular direction really stuck out. The movie bounces back and forth between reality and a CG world called the U. One big issue I had with the U as a space and concept was that the rules of it or how it functioned were not really touched on. It made the entirety of when or how people were using it pretty confusing. Belle tries to juggle fleshing out characters from the real world, mainly our main character Suzu, while simultaneously using the U to express the person she can't be in the real world. Hosoda gave us some beautiful cinematography along with visuals throughout the movie but in my opinion the U just didn't accomplish enough as a story telling space. The climax of the movie was incredibly incredulous. The cinema experience coupled with seeing it in IMAX gave me some serious rose tinted glasses after the movie. But after pondering and thinking about the full package beyond the great presentation I can really only say it was good. The story desperately needed a bit more direction either in the real world or more focus on the U in order to tie a prettier knot. The story also draws heavy inspiration from Beauty and the Beast with a lot to be desired in the integration of that narrative into the film. It felt really out of place and I don't think it enhanced anything the movie really had going for it. The Disney interpretation had so much time to flesh out the give and pull of Belle and the Beast along with a great antagonist and fun characters that filled the empty space well. The film spent so little time giving us a fraction of the chemistry that inevitably builds between that Belle and Beast compared to the one were given here. The musical numbers performed by I believe the same voice actor for Suzu, Kaho Nakamura, were amazing. Kaho was able to inject the lyrics with so much damn emotion. The raspy grovel of her voice was just icing on the cake. While the music was spectacular in it's own right the was it was presented absolutely floored me. The final song performed was an amazing conclusion the convergence of sorts for Suzu's real life and avatar life letting her captivate the world. I heckin loved the music.

I really enjoyed the message of bonds mattering across any medium with a special online bond still bringing people together far away. I also loved the message of normal people can do incredible things which came across really well in one of the most epic moments of the film. All in all if you're a fan of Hosoda give it a watch. If you're a fan of anime I think it's worth a watch.
KartongJun 16, 2022
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie combines every trope, lack of basic logic, and put them in a blender of self-righteousness before spitting out a sorry excuse for a story. All in all, it's a complete mess. It's unfocused at best and infuriating at worst. I truly do not understand where all of the love comes from, because there is nothing in this that could be described as anything but cliché. And the climax? I should not have to say that a teenage girl going to face an aggressive abuser on her own and that glaring at him is enough to put him in his place is a dangerous message to spread, but here we are. Because Belle doesn't care if its messages are actually good, only that they can be made to look good. Expand
Breadlofe1Jan 15, 2022
I’m a fan of anime and animation in general and I can appreciate how amazing this movie is visually. The background art in the real-world scenes and the cg in the VR scenes are top notch and beautifully done. However, everything else aboutI’m a fan of anime and animation in general and I can appreciate how amazing this movie is visually. The background art in the real-world scenes and the cg in the VR scenes are top notch and beautifully done. However, everything else about the movie was so remarkably predictable and unoriginal that I started hoping for the movie to end half way through. None of the characters are interesting (except maybe the canoe guy) due to the abundance of hyper-cliched exposition and motivation, which leaves all the “emotional high points” completely tension-less and It fails to do anything interesting with it’s modern take on Beauty and the Beast other then it’s unique setting. There are also a few really bizarre things that annoyed me like the main voice actresses awkward and annoying crying throughout the film as well as some creepy mentions or references to underage-adult romance. After it’s sloppy ending that lazily brings to a close all of the major conflicts and arcs I was left not caring about a single character or plot point throughout the 2 hour runtime. The strange thing is I really like most of this directors previous films. Wolf Children and The Boy and The Beast are great films. I really liked The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, and Summer Wars was at least pretty decent. This movie felt like it just wanted to make your standard inspiring “be yourself” movie with a futuristic twist. But it falls flat without the foundations of good storytelling like proper characterization and tension in its conflict. Expand
EpycWynJan 18, 2022
Intolerable amount of inserting commentary from what must be a forum section on Steam. Bad guys 2D and too easily defeated. Struck me as excessive in the self awareness to the point of forgetting to craft an interesting digital world. SummerIntolerable amount of inserting commentary from what must be a forum section on Steam. Bad guys 2D and too easily defeated. Struck me as excessive in the self awareness to the point of forgetting to craft an interesting digital world. Summer Wars blows this movie out of the water graphics and color-wise along with better imagery in general.

Really wish the majority of characters were not douchey nosey social-pressuring pricks. I did not find the reactions of people believable, including the villains.

Way too much focus on excessively pushing pseudo-realistic commentary and reactions that fall short of how people would actually act and react.

Wish the movie had explored the world and its importance and beauty like Ready Player One did phenomenally.

Felt start to finish like this movie was piss scared to be controversial or its own thing.

Music is okay, graphics are okay, animation quality is fantastic. Falls short for me. Found it kind of meh.
AkikyoFeb 7, 2022
I really wanted to love this film after seeing the trailer, but in the end this is the first movie that I've ever walked out on at the cinema because I seriously couldnt take much more of it. It got me so annoyed that I had to write a reviewI really wanted to love this film after seeing the trailer, but in the end this is the first movie that I've ever walked out on at the cinema because I seriously couldnt take much more of it. It got me so annoyed that I had to write a review about it and share my opinion when I heared others saying its a 10/10 film and one of the best stories in anime. This review im writing is not trying to grab attention or to throw hate on anyone who does likes this film, but for me I honestly feel this is one of the worst anime films out there right now and is directors Mamoru Hosoda's worst to date.

To the films credit the animation and the music are stunning and are a specticle to view even when on the big screen. The music is by far the best aspect of the film and has a soundtrack which is so good I would put it up there as one of the best in an anime film. But the film also relies on a story and what lets the film down for me the most is that story, its characters and its attempt to replicate the Beauty and the Beast in a very scatered and confusing fashion with a modern twist.
RtheomFeb 4, 2022
This movie had so much potential and just barely missed it on almost every count. The animation is gorgeous, so it wins there, easily. The music is fantastic... but there's very very little of it, despite the premise, which was veryThis movie had so much potential and just barely missed it on almost every count. The animation is gorgeous, so it wins there, easily. The music is fantastic... but there's very very little of it, despite the premise, which was very unfortuante. The voice on the singer is awesome. The plot points are actually really really good points, points that need to be addressed. Unfortunately, the movie's pacing and arrangement is so poor that those plot points are kind of hindered, and kept from becoming as important as they should be. Overall, it had very high aspirations and could have been a stunning movie, but the execution was flawed in every regard, except the animation. Maybe see it when it comes to streaming, if you have nothing else to watch, but it's not really worth seeking out. There's much better options out there. Expand
wadisplaceFeb 6, 2022
An outstanding movie! It is a parody on how much the internet has control of our daily lives.
Great for the entire family.
aidan0Mar 22, 2022
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. While the movie and singing made me cry, I don't know, that ending was sooo out of left field, it kind of spoiled it. It didn't really fit, nobody goes with her? Come on. And then she randomly finds them on the street? Like the beast said nothing changes... nothing... and nothing changed, maybe that's the point. And that just sucks. Expand
alejandro970Jan 25, 2022
It's not every day you get to see a play like this, is it? Virtually amazing! It ingeniously combines traditional 3D animation with a story that evokes the classic Beauty and the Beast, with an analogy about the importance of accepting who weIt's not every day you get to see a play like this, is it? Virtually amazing! It ingeniously combines traditional 3D animation with a story that evokes the classic Beauty and the Beast, with an analogy about the importance of accepting who we are and overcoming our worst fears. Do not let it go. Expand
NobodyYouKnowAug 5, 2022
Don't let the overt "Beauty and the Beast" reference throw you -- this is *not* a BatB retread. The BatB reference is actually an unhelpful distraction, IMO. The only similarities are superficial (names/places); the stories are completelyDon't let the overt "Beauty and the Beast" reference throw you -- this is *not* a BatB retread. The BatB reference is actually an unhelpful distraction, IMO. The only similarities are superficial (names/places); the stories are completely different. There is real emotional depth to this film, and it has nothing to do with Hollywood love stories.

Some of the messages about life in the internet age are a bit heavy-handed, but they're nonetheless true. The thrust of the film is about dealing with trauma and the necessity of connecting with people in the *real* world to actually deal with that trauma. We can all relate to wanting to run/hide from our pain whether it be via VR or something more self-destructive (drugs, alcohol).

The movie also cleverly creates a mystery whereby we and the characters are all trying to figure out who the mysterious Beast is IRL. It's quite engaging.

The voice acting is top-notch, and the animation is exceptional -- at times, breathtaking. There are scenes where the music and the visuals combine to produce deeply moving moments. You'd have to be a robot not to be moved by the final song scene in the "U" world.

Forget BatB and just enjoy Belle on its own terms. You'll be glad you did.
DubeauFeb 19, 2022
Belle is a retale of a classic story but in a very actual and modern settings. The story is strong and emotional. The music is decent. There are little bits of musical, some I have like, some less. The animation is fantastic and mixing stylesBelle is a retale of a classic story but in a very actual and modern settings. The story is strong and emotional. The music is decent. There are little bits of musical, some I have like, some less. The animation is fantastic and mixing styles of anime too. This made me cry because I have live some of those problems when I was young. I give it 82%. Beautiful and engaging. Expand
SoulWarfareFeb 6, 2022
Belle is a modern Japanese take on the classic Beauty and the Beast story. The director Mamoru Hosoda made some wonderful anime movies such as Summer Wars, Wolf Children and Mirai which I absolutely loved. So I was no doubt going to watchBelle is a modern Japanese take on the classic Beauty and the Beast story. The director Mamoru Hosoda made some wonderful anime movies such as Summer Wars, Wolf Children and Mirai which I absolutely loved. So I was no doubt going to watch Belle.

I love the contrast in art and animation style between the real world and the virtual world. The real-world uses 2D fluid and dynamic animation while the virtual world uses this 3D dazzling and beautiful aesthetic. Both are amazing to look at. One of the biggest highlights though is the music which is just wonderful. The final performance is just absolutely stunning!

I also enjoyed how Mamoru put a new spin on the classic tale through the use of a virtual world. It made the story feel fresh even though it goes through a lot of the same beat for beat story you have seen before. The characters are also quite lovable in their personality and I adored the character development that our main lead Suzu goes through. The story does juggle a lot of plot points and doesn't give a completely satisfying resolution to everything. However, the story has a lot of heart and soul in it that it comes out as very sweet and touching by the end.

I had a blast with the 2 hours watching Belle and I do not doubt that you will too.
WordsmythologicJan 15, 2022
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Belle is a perfect movie.

The experiences and feelings of the characters carry more meaning than any other movie I have seen in years. The storytelling is perfectly done. The way it shows the effects that different kinds of pain have on people. The way it depicts abuse. How her mother died trying to save somebody, and how she felt that loss at such a young age, and the hurt that it caused her... and how she, like her mother, risked something important to help him. How her actions mirrored her mother's, to help somebody. Belle takes the characters and structure of a classic folk tale, and imagines them differently, into something beautiful and original. The seamless combination of 2D and 3D animation was also stunning.

Belle, from me, gets the rarest ever descriptor of "perfect movie". Mamoru Hosoda continues to be very good at storytelling.
BidoulouFeb 18, 2022
It's a real masterpiece of visual animation. The story is an allegory of the Beauty and the beast classical tale, and this modern era revisitation of the tale is a great original movie. Visually, the characters are stunning. The colors of theIt's a real masterpiece of visual animation. The story is an allegory of the Beauty and the beast classical tale, and this modern era revisitation of the tale is a great original movie. Visually, the characters are stunning. The colors of the scenes, the music, all is great. A total must see movie. Expand
mikesgold2KApr 4, 2022
Piękna pod kątem audiowizualnym, z masą świetnych piosenek. Historia jest wciągająca i angażująca, za to bohaterowie trochę jednowymiarowi. Piękna (i) Bestia
PopKulturowyApr 25, 2022
Życie Suzu zmienia się drastycznie, gdy jej Matka ginie podczas próby ratowania innego dziecka. Dziewczyna zamyka się w sobie i w wieku nastoletnim staje się bardzo zamkniętą osobą. Dzięki zaproszeniu koleżanki trafia do wirtualnego świataŻycie Suzu zmienia się drastycznie, gdy jej Matka ginie podczas próby ratowania innego dziecka. Dziewczyna zamyka się w sobie i w wieku nastoletnim staje się bardzo zamkniętą osobą. Dzięki zaproszeniu koleżanki trafia do wirtualnego świata „U” gdzie użytkownicy za pomocą swoich smartfonów, wchodzą w ciała stworzonych avatarów. Główna bohaterka za pomocą swojego bajecznego głosu, szybko zdobywa sławę i uznanie. Niestety jej kariera zostaje zaburzona, gdy poznaje smoka – groźnego avatara, który stwarza zagrożenie dla świata „U”

Rzeczywistość wirtualna przedstawiona w tej animacji stanowi pewnego rodzaju ucieczkę dla bohaterów. Prawdziwy świat, gdzie doznają bólu i cierpienia, przestaje być dla nich atrakcyjny. Dotyczy to głównie Suzu, która z cichej i zamkniętej w sobie osoby, zmienia się w sławną piosenkarkę, poruszającą serca za pomocą swojego słowiczego śpiewu. O ile te dwa światy są są od siebie różne, to mocno ze sobą koegzystują i wpływają na siebie. Sława głównej bohaterki przechodzi do rzeczywistości i zaczyna ją przerastać.

Historia, mimo że opowiedziana prosto, zawiera luki w fabule – następują dziwne przeskoki w narracji i nagle zaczynają się dziać niespodziewane wydarzenia. Odnosimy wrażenie, że autorzy scenariusza, starają się przyśpieszyć całą opowieść. Mimo tej poważnej wady całość jest bardzo ujmująca i wzruszająca. Finał jest silnie emocjonalny i mimo przesadnego patetyzmu, w moim przypadku pojawiła się łza. Świat „U” i świat rzeczywisty zostały zaanimowane przepięknie – widzimy wyraźną różnicę między nimi i nie gubimy się w szybkich przeskokach pomiędzy tymi rzeczywistościami. Całość oglądana na wielkim ekranie potęguje tylko wrażenia i momentami zapiera dech w piersiach. Poruszając się razem z główną bohaterką w wirtualnym świecie, doznajemy uczucia wolności i wyzwolenia, które jej towarzyszy. Natomiast gdy wracamy do rzeczywistości, warstwa wizualna staję się smutniejsza i czujemy to bardzo wyraźnie. Podczas szkolnych perypetii czy samotnych wieczorów Suzu, czujemy realną tęsknotę za wirtualną rzeczywistością.

Muzyka w filmie wspina się na wyżyny swoich możliwości i już podczas seansu wiedziałem, że moja playlista na Spotify wzbogaci się o nowe tytuły. Scena tańca z bestią nasuwała skojarzenia z „Pięknej i bestii” , a finałowa piosenka powodowała gęsią skórkę. Cały soundtrack budzi skojarzenia z Disneyowskimi produkcjami i dzięki temu świat „U” wydawał się bardziej uniwersalny.

Mimo że przesłanie Belle jest proste, to dzięki temu łatwo je odczytać i mocno wpisuje się w naszą rzeczywistość. Gdy rzeczywisty świat zawodzi, szukamy często pocieszenia w wirtualnym świecie. To tam często możemy wykreować siebie na nowo, pozbawionego wad. Ta ucieczka jednak często sprawia, że emocje w realu nie są już dla nas tak atrakcyjne. Dzieło Mamoru Hosody to wspaniała podróż w inny wymiar, gdzie będziemy się świetnie bawić i śpiewać razem z Suzu.

TicketStubsMar 3, 2022
Belle is a cute anime retelling of beauty and the beast. Overall, the movie had spectacular effects and visuals and the songs were beautiful. 10/10
Jonathan_M_2Jan 18, 2022
Absolutely stunning visually and sonically. The story moved me. Almost a masterpiece.
H0kv5Jun 24, 2022
Another heart warming experience in anime that keeps me wanting more of it, love, trust and kindness and mostly accepting who you are is the key concept here, this not only brings it close to reality but open it to new possibilities and thatAnother heart warming experience in anime that keeps me wanting more of it, love, trust and kindness and mostly accepting who you are is the key concept here, this not only brings it close to reality but open it to new possibilities and that is moving me beyond the voices i heard. Belle the experience was amazing. Expand
Joseloco123KingJan 17, 2022
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The film is a treat both in Animation and it’s sound track. While the story is good the film has trouble explaining the 2nd half like why is the beast father so abusive towards his children and also there was no real explanation on the bad guy Justin in the world of U he was just there. I saw the English dub and whoever did the casting did a amazing Job in that department Expand
waywardlaserJun 28, 2022
Is the plot a little disjointed? Yes. Is it melodramatic at times? Yes. Do some of the internet elements feel a bit derivative of his previous work? Yes. But I can't lie man, this one really got me. I was completely on board with Suzu'sIs the plot a little disjointed? Yes. Is it melodramatic at times? Yes. Do some of the internet elements feel a bit derivative of his previous work? Yes. But I can't lie man, this one really got me. I was completely on board with Suzu's journey to overcome her grief. I recently lost someone in my family whom I was very close to, so maybe this is hitting me a lot harder than it will for other people. But I can't deny my feelings; I cried four or five times...at least. That must count for something. A big thank you to GKIDS because this was an absolute visual splendor and I am so happy to have seen it on the big screen. Not to mention, every song was an emotional powerhouse that together completely elevate the presentation. With singing being such a central aspect of the story it's a good thing that the music was written, orchestrated, and performed so beautifully.

I really can't express how much I loved this enough. Of all Mamoru Hosoda's films I've seen, this is definitely my new favourite.
adamtaylor792Jul 17, 2022
Belle has some cool visuals, but it does not do too much with them. The story is not anything special and does not invest enough time in the core theme about the sense of self in the internet and social media age.