Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures | Release Date: March 6, 2020
Generally favorable reviews based on 440 Ratings
Watch Now
Buy on
Rektnarok91Mar 6, 2020
Really fun and emotional film. It avoided a number of cliché traps and really is one of the best Pixar films in awhile
Compi24Mar 7, 2020
The talks of "B-tier Pixar" rearing its ugly head yet again are lost on me when it comes to "Onward," director Dan Scanlon's second feature-length effort (after the uninspired "Monster University"). This may come off as an entry into the "hotThe talks of "B-tier Pixar" rearing its ugly head yet again are lost on me when it comes to "Onward," director Dan Scanlon's second feature-length effort (after the uninspired "Monster University"). This may come off as an entry into the "hot take Olympics," but I honestly found the film more creative, entertaining and emotionally resonant than Pixar's last effort, "Toy Story 4." It, at the very least, justifies it's own existence better than that film did. There's a genuinely beautiful and original message at the center of this story here that culminates into what's easily the best ending to a Pixar movie I've seen since "Coco." "Toy Story 4" tried this, but ultimately ended up doing the same "saying goodbye because it's the right thing to do" type of ending that "Toy Story 3" did. I don't mean to bag on "Toy Story 4" so much, but I think we all hold these movies to a certain standard. Mine were just about met with "Onward." Each set piece is engaging and memorable, the world feels lived in and different, even the progression of the narrative surprised me with how much it hearkened back to early Pixar. I guess I'm in the minority on this one, but I very much enjoyed this. Expand
EmmaC101Mar 6, 2020
I love this movie so much.It is a must see. I love Ian,Barley and Guinevere so so much.
LuuthianMar 8, 2020
Loved it. This is probably the best D&D film ever made. Pixer did a disservice in failing to market the film as it actually was. This isn’t some cynical fantasy story with an annoying brother. It’s a great coming of age, sibling story wrappedLoved it. This is probably the best D&D film ever made. Pixer did a disservice in failing to market the film as it actually was. This isn’t some cynical fantasy story with an annoying brother. It’s a great coming of age, sibling story wrapped in classic Dungeons and Dragons (quite literally in several scenes and monsters).

See it, it’s worth it. Especially if you love classic fantasy stories
Davrosdaleks1Mar 6, 2020
Again, Pixar comes up with a rather fresh concept, fantasy creatures in a modern times world, with some strong emotional moments. It was an excellent idea to make the film about the two brothers Ian (voiced by Tom Holland) and Barley (ChrisAgain, Pixar comes up with a rather fresh concept, fantasy creatures in a modern times world, with some strong emotional moments. It was an excellent idea to make the film about the two brothers Ian (voiced by Tom Holland) and Barley (Chris Pratt) going on a quest to briefly reunite with the the late father they never knew or barely remember. It is a very heartfelt tale: wanting to connect with a relative you never knew. The connection between the two brothers (one's the shy guy who isn't into magic but can do it and the other is the outgoing, immature one who is into magic but can't do it) is handled really well. The ending may be up there with some of Pixar's great moments.

The movie has a fine cast of characters and voice actors. Chris Pratt is the VIP here. Yeah, he is doing a variation of the typical Pratt kind of character, but he is good enough that Barley is distinguishable from his other characters. He especially does a well with Barley's more sympathetic moments.

I was a little at odds at whether I should rate this a little higher. Ultimately I realized that while this is up there with some of Pixar's better films this wasn't in their top tier. Onward is mostly a road trip movie and it had the issues that I felt were in Up or some of Pixar's other road trip movies in that the creators have some great core ideas but feel like they were throwing in whatever they could to fill out the movie. This could've been shorter and the third act in particular feels like the film is stretching. There are also moments where Ian, when he's being shy or angry, is too underwritten or stereotypically portrayed.

I'm not the biggest fan of the character design in this. It feels a little simple compared to other Pixar films almost as if this was designed by a different studio. I know that a lot of animators prefer more simple designs because it makes animating or character expression easier. Personally as a viewer, I prefer when a character looks better defined. I especially don't like the way they made the elves' tragus in their ears. (The part of the outer ear that sort of covers the earhole). They look like quarters.

Criticisms aside when this movie is good it's really good, and I highly recommend it.
JoesMar 6, 2020
Algo diferente a lo habitual, una aventura llena de magia y para toda la familia
piffsmith15Mar 8, 2020
Touching story, great acting, fun action, just an all around great movie for all.
13freedom13Mar 6, 2020
This pixar film brought in a lot of tears i would totally recommend it to watch
R4F43LLMar 11, 2020
This film is simply amazing, I loved your world and its story is exciting. Congratulations Pixar
Kerby33Mar 10, 2020
As someone who lost their father without getting to say goodbye, this movie of course really struck a nerve. Tears aside I did really love this movie. I'm an avid fantasy fan from LotR to D&D I love it all. This movie did a great job blendingAs someone who lost their father without getting to say goodbye, this movie of course really struck a nerve. Tears aside I did really love this movie. I'm an avid fantasy fan from LotR to D&D I love it all. This movie did a great job blending a modern world with fantasy. Easily a new favorite from Pixar, but obviously I am their exact target audience for this film. Expand
HankHill4200Mar 10, 2020
I don’t understand why the reviews for this movie are so low. It’s not perfect, but to me, it’s close to it. I’ll get the one gripe I have out of the way. The part between the Tavern and the draw bridge is pretty slow. It’s not bad, but it’sI don’t understand why the reviews for this movie are so low. It’s not perfect, but to me, it’s close to it. I’ll get the one gripe I have out of the way. The part between the Tavern and the draw bridge is pretty slow. It’s not bad, but it’s just okay. It’s the only part of the movie that wasn’t super engaging to me, simply due to characters (the bikers) being fairly boring.

Every other part was great. The humor is there throughout the entire movie. While there are some areas where the humor isn’t original, the amount of original jokes and unique gags far outnumber them. Colt Stallion (boyfriend) was a funny, original portrayal of a Minotaur that consistently made the theatre laugh. Chris Pratt did an amazing job in his role, and never failed to get a laugh.

Not only is the movie funny, it’s also the most emotional Pixar movie since UP (yes I think it’s more emotional than Coco). The ending manages to be something you wouldn’t expect, and that’s not a bad thing at all. I like the approach it took, and it had several people around me in tears. Don’t get me wrong, the ending of Coco was emotional, but I don’t think it came close to what this movie did.

The foreshadowing starts from the very get go of the movie, with the dragon on the school (I won’t go in depth on this to avoid spoilers). Another great thing this movie was able to accomplish was a scene that managed to be funny, epic, and majestic all at the same time. Once again, I won’t go in depth here to avoid spoilers, but it’s definitely my favorite scene in the movie.

It’s not a perfect movie, but it comes close to it. The movie is filled with humor, emotion, lessons, family values, heart wrenching moments, and epic scenes.
zmgalen2000Mar 30, 2020
Classically Pixar, "Onward" is a heartwarming film for all ages, with an emotional subplot so deep that it will make all audiences shed a tear. Through a culmination of stunning animation, bold character development, and aClassically Pixar, "Onward" is a heartwarming film for all ages, with an emotional subplot so deep that it will make all audiences shed a tear. Through a culmination of stunning animation, bold character development, and a seemingly-one-dimensional plot that spontaneously sprawls out to reveal a multilayer ecstasy, "Onward" is yet another Disney-Pixar masterpiece and is a film not to be missed. Expand
CalDoesDrummingMar 15, 2020
Of all the Pixar films I’ve seen in recent years as a grown man Onward is definitely proving to be my favourite, I can’t really compare it to the classics (Toy Story 1, Monsters Inc, Finding Nemo etc) coz I saw all those movies when I wasOf all the Pixar films I’ve seen in recent years as a grown man Onward is definitely proving to be my favourite, I can’t really compare it to the classics (Toy Story 1, Monsters Inc, Finding Nemo etc) coz I saw all those movies when I was basically just a foot tall and have been with me for as long as I can remember but needless to say if I was to have some kind of Pixar binge night it would happily fit in with them all.

The thing that really elevates Onward for me is it’s cast, Tom Holland & Chris Pratt I thought were brilliant as Ian & Barley, they by far had one of the best chemistries I’ve seen in a movie (which is probably thanks to the friendship they made whilst working on Avengers together) and they voiced them so well and put so much emotion into it that it ended being one of those moments where you forgot it was them and purely saw their characters. As for the rest Julia Louis-Dreyfus was great as Laurel, a determined super mum that wants nothing more for a her 2 boys to be happy and is prepared to go great lengths to make sure they’re safe, Octavia Spencer was brilliant as The Manticore, a character that you thought would be a bit intimidating and villainous that was actually pretty funny and awesome to watch. The animations & sets were gorgeous and I don’t care one bit if they maybe did look a bit too realistic, the fact that Pixar has the power & talent to put that much detail into their movies nowadays I think is really commendable and something I personally think they should definitely keep up.

So overall I’m really happy with this movie, I’m definitely seeing again at some point down the line and if they ever plan to make a sequel it, bringeth it on I say

(Also shoutout to whoever at Pixar had the idea of Barley being a metalhead)
M7MD-TREXMay 16, 2020
Amazing I love this movie so much It’s one of my favorite Pixar movie
Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow
mrmonsterJun 6, 2020
While it doesn't live up to the likes of other Pixar classics like Toy Story and Up, it is still a very great movie with plenty of heart and plenty of laughs.
eagleeyevikingMar 22, 2020
“Onward” is another Pixar classic; an emotional, imaginative, hilarious, and well-intentioned road-trip quest. As an older brother myself, the film absolutely hits home.
Rcavey92212May 1, 2020
Boiled down to its simplicities this is a movie about a boy whose always wanted to know his father. He passed before he was born. The setting for this truly magical film is a world filled with spells, wizards, orcs, elves, fairies and more.Boiled down to its simplicities this is a movie about a boy whose always wanted to know his father. He passed before he was born. The setting for this truly magical film is a world filled with spells, wizards, orcs, elves, fairies and more. On his 16th birthday Ian is given a gift left by his father. A spell that will let him meet him for only one day. Unfortunately the spell only half works and him and his brother have to go on a quest so make him whole before time runs out. The movie is funny, sad and heartwarming without being too preachy. At times it can feel a bit familiar but overall it's another solid addition to Pixar's library. Unfortunately the film never had a chance at the box office because of the worldwide pandemic but I'm sure will be somewhat successful with vod and disc sales.

Budget: $200m
Domestic Box Office: $62m
Worldwide Box Office: $103m

DasBearJudenMay 17, 2020
15 minutes into this movie i was getting concerned about what the next hour of my life was going to look like.
It turned around fast - and darn near accomplished putting a tear in my eye. Good job team onward - something new is always appreciated.
VultuRexMar 22, 2020
This movie is amazing, adventurous, fun and really captures the magic of what Pixar animation films should and always have to offer. What a great Pixar film, this movie happens to be my favorite animated film of 2020. Give those film makersThis movie is amazing, adventurous, fun and really captures the magic of what Pixar animation films should and always have to offer. What a great Pixar film, this movie happens to be my favorite animated film of 2020. Give those film makers and animators over at Pixar a big standing ovation for their hard work. Expand
fiftywordreviewMar 11, 2020
Onward lacks the charm and originality of Pixar's more beloved properties, but its heartfelt third act makes for an ultimately rewarding viewing. The fantasy elements do little to elevate the story, but the film succeeds as a fun familyOnward lacks the charm and originality of Pixar's more beloved properties, but its heartfelt third act makes for an ultimately rewarding viewing. The fantasy elements do little to elevate the story, but the film succeeds as a fun family adventure with a strong message. Expand
danddjosh2000Mar 15, 2020
Went in not expecting anything but it generally surprised me. Pixar has definitely done better movies and this has a really slow start but the ending made it all worthwhile and made me glad I saw the movie.
FordsaMar 21, 2020
Great movie- very creative. The animation was really well done, and there's good humor throughout. I cried 4 times
CbabybearMar 27, 2020
Managed to see it just before cinemas shut and I enjoyed it. It’s a heart warming film about coming to terms with loss.
marvelholicMar 30, 2020
It was a very wholesome movie about brotherhood. It was enjoyable for all, not just kids and is a reflection of how versatile tom holland and chris pratt really are
LoganSowersApr 3, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Phenomenal movie! Really loved the modernization portrayal of the mid evil theme. Absolutely loved the story of two brothers bonding to reunite with their father. Expand
lela2000Apr 7, 2020
This film is so special: Ian and Barley are awesome; the story is so entertaining because they go for a wonderful QUEST that keeps you smiling until the end (with some tears, of course). Pixar never disappoints!
LifeisbellablogApr 19, 2020
I thought this movie was cute, but it was a little disappointing for a Pixar movie. I didn't love it as much as I wanted to. I think the world is very dense, and we didn't get to explore as much as I would have liked. I do appreciate thatI thought this movie was cute, but it was a little disappointing for a Pixar movie. I didn't love it as much as I wanted to. I think the world is very dense, and we didn't get to explore as much as I would have liked. I do appreciate that this was an original story, rather than a sequel or remake, and I hope they do more originals in the future. Expand
norseApr 8, 2020
This movie really hit home - my wife was balling at the end. The theme of losing a parent, sibling hood and DND resonated much more strongly than I would have expected from the trailer.
marcmyworksApr 2, 2020
Onward is a touching and wonderful film by Pixar that not only incorporates magic in a modern Dungeons and Dragon-esque world but also pulls at the heartstrings.
Unbiased_CriticApr 14, 2020
Great narrative that subverts lots of the clichés Pixar relies on in this film. It’s heartfelt, the animation is peerless, the pop culture references are well placed, the dialogue is artfully voices. You couldn’t ask for a better movie fromGreat narrative that subverts lots of the clichés Pixar relies on in this film. It’s heartfelt, the animation is peerless, the pop culture references are well placed, the dialogue is artfully voices. You couldn’t ask for a better movie from Pixar who haven’t lost their touch. The movie is basically free besides as it’s already dropped on Disney plus. It deserves your attention and love and is another reminder for me to just go see Pixar’s movies in theatre. Expand
TrumanHicksApr 3, 2020
Onward is an absolute master piece, for the entire family! Yet again Pixar brings another stellar movie to ad to their very accomplished wardrobe! This movie will have you Roaring with laughter! Although the movie is not all a laugh fest it’sOnward is an absolute master piece, for the entire family! Yet again Pixar brings another stellar movie to ad to their very accomplished wardrobe! This movie will have you Roaring with laughter! Although the movie is not all a laugh fest it’s a truly heart wrenching story that will keep you on the end of your seat. It’s a must watch for all ages! Expand
TheMCWhippyApr 7, 2020
Enjoyable family film from Pixar, about two brothers on a magical quest, fun time.
Brian_DApr 12, 2020
Something different from Pixar. A good story, good laughs, and just makes you feel good
jamie-metaApr 29, 2020
In a world full of humans disconnected from the sacred and from each other, people still holding memories of magic long for a return to balance with the mystical threads that connect us all. Barley is the unsung hero of the story,In a world full of humans disconnected from the sacred and from each other, people still holding memories of magic long for a return to balance with the mystical threads that connect us all. Barley is the unsung hero of the story, transforming his own pain into love and compassion for the people around him-- even while his path to mastering magic is misunderstood and earns him derision and marginalization and leaves him mostly alone in the world. If you thought this movie had nothing special to it, you might just be a pixie who has forgotten how to fly ;) Expand
NO-LIFEMay 5, 2020
This is (In my opinion) a must see movie for any fantasy, Disney or general movie watcher for the fact that it is a interesting change of view on the ordinary fantasy world, with some really fascinating characters and an overall feel goodThis is (In my opinion) a must see movie for any fantasy, Disney or general movie watcher for the fact that it is a interesting change of view on the ordinary fantasy world, with some really fascinating characters and an overall feel good vibe. I can't recommend this movie enough. Expand
DdubSMay 12, 2020
I thought this an enjoyable movie that had a lot of heart. The story of 2 brother journey find the fathers love they desperately. Traditionally, Disney animated movie the heart of the viewers. This move does that in surprising ways. Sure,I thought this an enjoyable movie that had a lot of heart. The story of 2 brother journey find the fathers love they desperately. Traditionally, Disney animated movie the heart of the viewers. This move does that in surprising ways. Sure, there were a few hiccups in the story. It did drone on a bit to get the preverbal meat of the story but, os forgivable due the great characterization provided by a stellar cast and beautiful animation. Expand
Evelyn1May 13, 2020
I think the movie should be interensting and i love that is relacionated with the family, also the concept is different or well the sucess in the story
bertboy93Jul 27, 2020
a good movie but not a great movie, fantastic animation as always by pixar , solid story and a very good ending!
gerardonoJul 24, 2020
I really Loved this movie. I just watched it a second time and I really Enjoyed it. This movie is about family love, magic, awesome adventures and more. The characters are contribute in one way or another in the story, and the main 2 brothersI really Loved this movie. I just watched it a second time and I really Enjoyed it. This movie is about family love, magic, awesome adventures and more. The characters are contribute in one way or another in the story, and the main 2 brothers have a lot of charm and personality :) Expand
lager96Jul 15, 2020
Onward is a great Pixar movie but won't be remembered as a classic. The animation is top tier and the voice acting is great. I like the story but it can't quite capture the moment of some other Pixar movies. It's a good movie you might watchOnward is a great Pixar movie but won't be remembered as a classic. The animation is top tier and the voice acting is great. I like the story but it can't quite capture the moment of some other Pixar movies. It's a good movie you might watch every once and a while but not one you will think of when you think about the Pixar catalogue. Expand
kirkenderMay 26, 2020
I have always given Pixar the benefit of the doubt that they are legitimately trying to tell good stories and any time I might not like one of their films it just might not be for me. I am after all, a mostly adult man. But seriously who isI have always given Pixar the benefit of the doubt that they are legitimately trying to tell good stories and any time I might not like one of their films it just might not be for me. I am after all, a mostly adult man. But seriously who is Onward for? It's really lazy in story and character. It takes this fantastical premise and setting and makes it super boring. What if dungeons and dragons were real and set in the real world? Sounds exciting right? Well turns out its exactly like our real world but people look different and there's magic but not a lot of magic so it really doesn't mean much. Cooooooool. It's honestly so freaking boring I can't believe it made it past the script phase, someone at Disney or Pixar should have been like... this is a sitcom episode from the 1950's with elf people. Do we really have anything to say with this? Omg why do the brothers have so much reverence for their dad when he was literally never around and their mom has zero screen time to actually share why their dad was awesome. It's just blind male hero worship without introspection. Also why the heck would you chose the bottom half to materialize from a story standpoint??? If the top half materialized then at least you can have some engaging character work and the brothers have to learn how to take care of others (and of course dumb comedy happenings) but instead we get the uncharismatic legs and feet wandering around like a useless plot device. Sigh. Pixar has really fell from grace. Expand
PanchogulMar 6, 2020
Unidos (2020)

Sinopsis propia: En un mundo donde la magia es cosa del pasado y donde la gente ya no cree en ella, dos hermanos con personalidades muy distintas se unen en una épica cruzada repleta de aventuras para volver a ver aunque sea
Unidos (2020)

Sinopsis propia:

En un mundo donde la magia es cosa del pasado y donde la gente ya no cree en ella, dos hermanos con personalidades muy distintas se unen en una épica cruzada repleta de aventuras para volver a ver aunque sea un segundo a su difunto padre.

Opinión:

He vivido una bellísima experiencia viendo esta película, la cual está repleta de aventuras, pasiones, emoción, carisma y dedicación abarcando temas de gran importancia como la hermandad y el descubrimiento personal.

Tiene un mensaje y trasfondo muy importante pero no diré nada al respecto porque caería en soltar spoilers, solo puedo decir que la recomiendo al 500%. Gente, lleven a sus hijos, a sus amigos, a sus padres o vayan por su cuenta, pero esta película debe verse, o debo recordar que es de Disney Pixar? Obviamente no.

Valoración:

Un total de 5 ⭐
Kapitan_NickMar 6, 2020
Lovely cartoon. Excellent development of the main character Ian. Great graphic animation! I like the style of fantasy and technology. I really worried about the main characters. Also in the cartoon there is a big and important moral in our time.
kotgafMar 9, 2020
A brilliant and sincere story about two brothers, family and magic. If you remember, what world was full of magic when you was young, but forget it nowadays, this fils is for you.
BrunoVn00Mar 8, 2020
Finally, after three years, Pixar finally brings us a new "original" movie. By that I mean that it's not a sequel.

Was the wait for more Pixar creativity worth it? I would say: "Kind of". "Onward" ended up being a pretty good movie, with

Was the wait for more Pixar creativity worth it? I would say: "Kind of".

"Onward" ended up being a pretty good movie, with some creative ideas, some funny moments and some emotional moments. The world the movie is set in has potential, but visually speaking, there's nothing memorable in it. Besides the design of the houses, I guess, the world lacks any style or personality. The voice acting is decent, I guess. Tom Holland was playing himself...I couldn't stop hearing Spider-Man. I guess the director just told him "Act as if you're playing Spider-Man" and that's it. Chris Pratt was annoying at first, but I later got used to his voice. It has some themes and underlying messages that were presented in a nice way. Some of them in an enotional way and others in a funny way.

The story is fun, highly energetic and emotional at times, even if some of the emotional moments were more cheesy than emotional.

I liked it overall but the story just feels so formulaic and familiar. Sure it had some twists I didn't see coming and the movie could've been a lot more predictable and boring but it almost seems like Pixar is stuck in the same plot structure for many its movies. I mean, it was an enjoyable experience, I bursted out laughing many times but I don't feel that it had that "Pixar magic" in it.
Metakane33Mar 8, 2020
Truly phenomenal. Funny and heartwarming at the same time. Left me wanting more, but also satisfied. Absolutely brilliant.
moviemitch96Mar 6, 2020
Pixar's usually pretty reliable, and I thought this looked cute enough to check out. Tom Holland and Chris Pratt voice two elves that embark on a quest to find a magical gemstone in order to briefly summon their late father back to life. ThisPixar's usually pretty reliable, and I thought this looked cute enough to check out. Tom Holland and Chris Pratt voice two elves that embark on a quest to find a magical gemstone in order to briefly summon their late father back to life. This one was actually a little more fun than I anticipated it would be based off the previews I saw for it that personally left me a little underwhelmed. Yes it did feel a little middle-of-the-road in comparison to Pixar's other films. However, it had great charm and humor, Holland and Pratt's voice talents go great together, and as expected of Pixar by now, it's incredibly heartfelt and will likely leave many touched by the end. Overall, the animation and world created in the film is highly entertaining and imaginative, the story is a little straightforward and conventional, but the voice talents, humor, and heart are what really make it worthwhile and fun. Expand
SteprockMar 11, 2020
I loved this movie! It's sweet, heartfelt, and funny. It's got a quirky setting and kind of an 80's teen movie vibe. What's not to love?

And of course, Pixar's ability to animate is in top form, as ever.
BradMorganMar 9, 2020
Pixar and Disney did it again. What a fantastic movie. An emotional and funny story that touches you, wrapped in a breathtaking world. Visually one of the most beautiful animation films I have ever seen. The characters were human and thePixar and Disney did it again. What a fantastic movie. An emotional and funny story that touches you, wrapped in a breathtaking world. Visually one of the most beautiful animation films I have ever seen. The characters were human and the brothers complemented each other perfectly. This was more than an animation film. This was a journey of discovery about love, sorrow, insecurity, belief in your abilities and achieving your goals. It was amazing. Expand
MadiFarrMar 7, 2020
Alright, so it does suffer from other classic Pixar films, but it does prove that it really stands out on its own formula. With an emotional, action packed and funny adventure with beautiful animation.
kqjrjkrawrMar 11, 2020
Good movie, good message, don't let the trolls deter you from watching this movie!
darkbloodshed13Mar 10, 2020
Onward is a Pixar animated film directed by Dan Scanlon and is about 2 elf brothers, Ian voiced by Tom Holland and Barley voiced by Chris Pratt, who on Ian's 16th birthday are given a magic staff that will let them meet there dead father.Onward is a Pixar animated film directed by Dan Scanlon and is about 2 elf brothers, Ian voiced by Tom Holland and Barley voiced by Chris Pratt, who on Ian's 16th birthday are given a magic staff that will let them meet there dead father. However because the spell goes wrong and only the bottom part of there dad is brought back Ian and Barley must go on a quest to get a magic stone so they can meet their dad. This film showcases why we love Pixar so much. The characters make sense given the situation. It can be really difficult to sympathies with characters in fantastical setting at times putting the pressure on the writer to make the charterers fit in with the world as well making them feel real to the audience and this film manages to do it no problem. The story is also very compelling. Fans of D&D will love the not so subtle reverences to R.P.Gs made through out the film, while others will enjoy the family aspects of the film. However this film does have it's fair share of flaws especially with the rules involving it's own magic. There are plenty times when the film fails to explain why it's magic doesn't work in a certain way. Yet This doesn't take away from my overall enjoyment of the film. Also there is the problem that this film though original in concept isn't all that original in execution. Again however, this did not bother me much. In conclusion if your looking for a good animated film that has something for everyone than this is the film for you. Expand
Jp117Mar 11, 2020
Better than some other movies out there love the magic and d&d. Great family movie fathers and sons will love it not to mention brothers.
WajihaMar 22, 2020
Was an amazing movie the kids really loved it would definitely recommended it.
twall3Mar 16, 2020
Saw this the night before our state shut all movie theaters down due to the coronavirus. From the trailer, I didn't really want to see it, but the reality was this is a very good movie! Quality Pixar movie. Great voice work from the 2 leadSaw this the night before our state shut all movie theaters down due to the coronavirus. From the trailer, I didn't really want to see it, but the reality was this is a very good movie! Quality Pixar movie. Great voice work from the 2 lead characters, creative, emotionally connectable characters and moments, some funny moments. Really loved it! Hopefully the studio will reissue it back into the theaters when the virus passes. If the virus never goes away and theaters become a thing of the past, this was a great final movie to see in a theater. Thank you Pixar/Disney! Expand
DubeauMar 22, 2020
Onward was a more predictable movie from Pixar. The story is bit slow to start. I like that they kind of mix modern versus fantasies worlds. Doesn't always work well. The action is very good in my book. And the ending is very touching. I amOnward was a more predictable movie from Pixar. The story is bit slow to start. I like that they kind of mix modern versus fantasies worlds. Doesn't always work well. The action is very good in my book. And the ending is very touching. I am not entirely sure that this is for children. It more for young adults. In that sens some elements of humor and reference are aimed to an older generation, who played D&D. I give it 72%. Expand
Sean_The_CriticMar 26, 2020
In all honesty, this was a very good movie and yet another great story brought to us by Pixar. It didn't seem to overwhelming or underwhelming compared to other past Pixar movies, so to look at it independently from the studio seems fair. TheIn all honesty, this was a very good movie and yet another great story brought to us by Pixar. It didn't seem to overwhelming or underwhelming compared to other past Pixar movies, so to look at it independently from the studio seems fair. The movie does display good uses of technical film techniques, it allows character expansion and realization on a broad platform, while also conserving the characters to be consistent throughout the movie. The plot however moved along to fast, personally, as it skipped through major character development in just hours. They describe the "mastery of wizardry" as something incredibly difficult and straining, yet contradict that point as the main protagonist does so in less then a day. If the movie hadn't been part of Pixar, it'd receive a higher rating, but due to it being from Pixar, it doesn't seem to stand out or prove any better than any average film

-With Criticism and Appraisal, Sean
BatMiteMar 11, 2020
Disney and Pixar's Onward is a touching story about two brothers who get the power to bring back their late father for a day. But when things go awry and only the bottom half of dad returns, they set out on a journey to complete the spellDisney and Pixar's Onward is a touching story about two brothers who get the power to bring back their late father for a day. But when things go awry and only the bottom half of dad returns, they set out on a journey to complete the spell before time runs out. The film introduces Ian Lightfoot(Tom Holland), the younger of the brothers who is trying to figure out who he is in high school and does all he can to become more like his father whom he never met. And there is Barley Lightfoot(Chris Pratt) who sees everything around him as a quest of great bravery and seemingly lost in his own fantasy world within a fantasy world. Set in a future fairy tale where elves and wizards and dragons exist but once technology was introduced the magic of the world is long-forgotten. It is definitely a fun take on the world of fantasy that Dan Scanlon builds this world that has that special Pixar touch for a story that might find itself a little too serious for a younger crowd. There is plenty of heart and laughs for everyone with a few scenes that seems like the runtime could've been a little longer. The adults in the film also do great in their roles without ever falling into the "dumb parent" trope and gives them plenty to do as well. The movie brings plenty of heart and comedy for all ages, this is another great addition to the Disney/Pixar library that will have you cheering, laughing, and tearful for some. Expand
FyilMar 27, 2020
Amazing movie that focus on brotherhood and the importance of a father. A breath of fresh air in the industry. It's hilarious to see a bunch of right wing people saying this movie is "woke".
This is a male oriented movie all the way. Nothing
This is a male oriented movie all the way. Nothing woke about it.
JhaonApr 11, 2020
La película brinda un gran entretenimiento, aunque el final deja una sensación no tan satisfactorio, es una buena opción para ver en familia
TVJerryMar 6, 2020
Pixar has had some stumbles in the past, but this one rates as their biggest fall yet. The concept seemed cool: A modern world inhabited by all sorts of mythical creatures has lost its magic. Two brothers (voiced by Tom Holland and Tom Pratt)Pixar has had some stumbles in the past, but this one rates as their biggest fall yet. The concept seemed cool: A modern world inhabited by all sorts of mythical creatures has lost its magic. Two brothers (voiced by Tom Holland and Tom Pratt) set out to share one final day with their departed father, while rekindling the enchantment of their forgotten world. None of the characters are especially memorable and there aren't any cute sidekicks to add wacky charm. The script is rather bland, never funny and tries way too hard to be sweetly emotional. Finally, the animation is seldom beautiful or even cool. Kids might enjoy the high-energy pacing, but there's not much else to make this one stand out. To flex Disney's new Fox muscles, there's rather dumb (literally and figuratively) Simpsons short before the feature (and I'm a big Simpsons fan). Expand
danmanliveMar 8, 2020
The animation and score are gorgeous. It was fun without being brilliant. Second half better then the first. It had its moments but was lacking in humour. I was not surprised by anything. I did not really care for all the characters. It’sThe animation and score are gorgeous. It was fun without being brilliant. Second half better then the first. It had its moments but was lacking in humour. I was not surprised by anything. I did not really care for all the characters. It’s good that it’s original Pixar but they can do better Expand
Stream2BigScreeMar 6, 2020
Welcome backeth to the mystical movie review siteth of the new decade, Stream To Big Screen! This quest will lead us down the path of peril to end up at our ultimate goal, a review of Onward. Onward was a movie about two brothers on a one ofWelcome backeth to the mystical movie review siteth of the new decade, Stream To Big Screen! This quest will lead us down the path of peril to end up at our ultimate goal, a review of Onward. Onward was a movie about two brothers on a one of a kind journey to find a gem that will help them complete a spell that will give them 24 hours with their deceased father. There were pitfalls and pixies along the dangerous way. Are you, brave soul, up to the challenge?

Ok, enough of the dungeons and dragons talk. Onward is a movie presented by the pairing of Disney and Pixar. Typically, the Disney/Pixar duo makes magic on the cinematic screen. Thus, Onward had a high bar to overcome. Viewers will expect the likes of an Up, Toy Story franchise, or even, Coco; but Onward cannot compare. I say that to say, the lower the expectations of this movie the better it will be going into it. Onward, led by Tom Holland, as Ian Lightfoot, and Chris Pratt, as Barley Lightfoot, is just a solid but typical pre-teen odyssey movie. Now, the two mentioned previously do a pretty good job of carrying the movie, Pratt more than Holland. Barley is exactly how I'd picture Pratt as a young adult. Holland, on the other hand, was less inspiring, more of just a voice than a believable character. That may have been the writing or it might be Holland's deliver. Unfortunately, Pixar and the writers didn't take any risks in the writing or storylines of this movie. Don't get me wrong, I love a good brotherly love excursion but the envelope wan't pushed enough.

Aside from that, the cast as whole did a pretty good job. Shout to Octavia Spencer for stealing the movie! What the movie did well is a little comedy and the overall animation. First, we all have come to love Pixar's animation, that's an obvious; however, it was the depiction of disabled creatures, clothing, movement of characters, and re-imagination of modern life that really was enjoyable. Oh, yeah, and the movie did have my neighbor and I bust out laughing at two parts (no really kid laughter though).

Sadly, Onward is not my favorite Pixar movie. The things that make this movie succeed does not outweigh the basic, uninspired plot. The disappointment may be due to the expectations based on Pixar’s past successes, but it didn’t translate here. Onward is a strong bowl of popcorn during a family movie night (I would understand a matinee for the kids but parents won’t get their monies worth).
HannahboelmanMar 10, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Onward was highly disappointing. The story teller(s) was out of touch with their audience, their characters, their setting, and their motive. For a movie about wonder and enchantment, those seemed more like buzz words than anything else. The magic lacked demention and structure. The pacing was unpredictable and the jokes suffered because of this. The characters were ungrounded and over simplified. Each one had a unearned character arc and convient circumstances. There was no true tension. Just "Problematic circumstances". It truly came across as a million dollar student film. Despite what I consider to be an incredibly poor Pixar movie, the moral of the story was touching. I actually cried at one point as I considered the burden of love and loss. This seemed to be the crescendo of the movie. But it was not well supported. It was a great concept that was poorly conceived. Overall, I am questioning my loyalty to my lifelong devotion of Pixar. The movie I saw yesterday does not match up to the movies of Pixar's past. Unfortunately, Onward seems to be following a recipe without understanding the ingredients. I have to believe it can do better. Expand
BlacklegacyApr 5, 2020
22 movies made by Pixar and this is the most predictable one. Such a lack of a story made this feel repetitive. You can see the ending a mile away. Making the characters Exactly like humans takes the whole fantasy feel away. Honestly just a22 movies made by Pixar and this is the most predictable one. Such a lack of a story made this feel repetitive. You can see the ending a mile away. Making the characters Exactly like humans takes the whole fantasy feel away. Honestly just a disappointment. Expand
taliashtibekerApr 21, 2020
One of the most boring and stupid movie disney has ever made!!!
The plot is bad, the voice choosing bad....hate every second in the movie
agg8877Mar 7, 2020
This does not seem to be done by Pixar, an ill-made story of an anime, poorly developed sentimentality and a rather forced LGBTI Disney brand agenda. I put 2 because it has beautiful graphics
tropicAcesMar 6, 2020
It’s perfectly fine B-level Pixar stuff. Some clever jokes and beautiful animation, but it’s also got some awkward moments and an overall sense of lacking effort.
djniceyApr 13, 2020
Pixars standards have REALLY dropped for this movie. It has some unique and original elements but all in all its just a standard journey quest plot that has been done many times before. Its something to watch to pass the time and the endingPixars standards have REALLY dropped for this movie. It has some unique and original elements but all in all its just a standard journey quest plot that has been done many times before. Its something to watch to pass the time and the ending is quite heartfelt but it doesn't come anywhere close to Up, Inside Out or any number of other Pixar movies. Its more like a Dreamworks B movie than a polished Pixar movie with a strong story and emotional content. Entertaining enough, my kids sat through it but weren't particularly interested or engaged by the characters, story or animation. Its a safe by-the-numbers family film thats missing the Pixar magic of other films. Expand
theredskyApr 7, 2020
I truly love Pixar. It’s still probably one of the best animation studios working today but I have noticed a slight decline in the quality of their films since 2011. Not to say their films from 2011 on are bad (except Cars 2), they justI truly love Pixar. It’s still probably one of the best animation studios working today but I have noticed a slight decline in the quality of their films since 2011. Not to say their films from 2011 on are bad (except Cars 2), they just aren’t as good as their films from the 90’s and 2000’s. I would say Pixar’s last truly great films would be Inside Out and Coco and unfortunately, their mediocre streak is carrying over into this decade. Onward is a very mixed film for me. On one hand, I liked the animation, music, 3rd Act, and themes of brotherhood but I also didn’t like the first two acts and the characters. Characters are essential to making a Pixar film interesting to watch and I found the characters here not that interesting. Pixar has a fantastic track record for making interesting characters such as The Parr family from The Incredibles and Remi from Ratatouille. I’m not comparing the characters from those movies to the ones in Onward but I’m just trying to make a point that Pixar is very capable of making great characters but for some reason, they couldn’t do it here. I do like the brotherhood message that they share but that’s really about it. I didn’t find any of them relatable nor did I find myself interested by their actions. They change as people but it didn’t follow an interesting path. They just kinda changed suddenly and without question. The build up to the 3rd Act of the film was slow and dull to me. I wasn’t interested in the adventure at all and it felt like it took a really long time before the 3rd Act started but after that point, I found myself enjoying the film which is a shame because I finally started to enjoy the film when it was about to end. The final action scene used the environment well and was enjoyable to watch and the realization that Ian has was good. I just wish the lead up was much much more interesting. That’s not to say there weren't other factors that I liked about the film. Obviously, the film looks fantastic. This is something that has remained consistent with almost every Pixar movie. The visuals are spot on and the locations look really good and somewhat realistic for a fantasy world. I also thought the music was great. It was the only thing I really noticed during the first two acts and some of the music in the 3rd act can/do have the potential to bring some to tears. Overall, Onward is a step down in terms of characters and interesting stories for Pixar but it still retains its great visuals and music streak going. Expand
RobwinzApr 19, 2020
The animation for this movie is pretty good and also, the actors do a pretty good job for what they're given, especially Tom Holland and Chris Pratt. Finally, the story had some quite predictable scenes from start to finish but overall, IThe animation for this movie is pretty good and also, the actors do a pretty good job for what they're given, especially Tom Holland and Chris Pratt. Finally, the story had some quite predictable scenes from start to finish but overall, I think most families with children will enjoy this movie for what it is. Expand
hnestlyontheslyMar 8, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. “Onward was sad all the way through. At no point does it cease being sad. At points, it’s funny, but never happy. They are constantly losing things as try to temporarily regain a thing they’ve already lost permanently,” was Wife’s assessment after leaving the theater. She was attracted to this movie for two reasons: she nurses a soft spot for absurdist humor and resurrecting your dead dad but just pants checked that box, but also the premise of what if magic but now? Onward, despite being the first original Pixar movie since that complete knock off of The Book of Life, Coco, has been getting some criticism for feeling formulaic.

And to be sure there are elements of the Hero’s Journey throughout, but I agree with Wife when she says, the movie does a good job of being self-referential in terms of its borrowing from other stories. It’s not just a fantasy movie. Its characters are learning things from a D&D guide. Their mission-giving Barkeep doesn’t play her role straight, she’s evolved past those genre tropes and then come back around on the next pendulum swing. Sure, there’s pixies and elves and a dragon or two, but they are less central to the storytelling than might first appear. The individual scenes rely more on a funny premise about the magical modern world (by the way, one of the coolest books that doubles down on this premise is The War of the Flowers by Tad Williams, which was written before and after 9/11), like what if pixies but a gang, or what if tavern but for kids, what if boat but Cheeto, etc.

Some of the most poignant moments aren’t magically or familially premised at all, really. My favorite moment is admittedly a Bing-Bong-esque (from Inside Out) final scene when Barley sacrifices his beloved van, the one thing he wants to be able to show his father, in order to continue on the quest. This is the sort of thing Wife means when she says that the boys are constantly losing things in order to temporarily regain something permanently lost. They shed their most prized possessions and desires in order to be able to discover, like Dorothy (in more ways than one, Wife compares this movie to that), they never really lost anything in the first place.

I went in prepared for this to be a tearjerker of a dad-son movie, but, honestly, it’s more of a pro-sibling and pro-car movie than anything else. For anyone who doesn’t have a brother or sister and anyone who’s never tried to learn how to drive a car, this movie will be deeply, deeply alienating, which I think makes it fun. Friend says he could imagine a situation in which there had been multiple scripts for how long Ian and Barley would spend with their dad, and the idea that they went with, “none” or “close to none” was a strong choice.

If I were going to pick apart one nefarious little detail in this movie, I’d say one of the most troubling aspects of this movie that goes unaddressed is the fact that magic seems to exhibit features of selective inheritance. Barley is completely unable to cast spells, despite his self-confidence and his “heartsfire,” despite his own magical father’s genes, and his father’s wish that they will have “a little magic” in them too. If the wishes of a dying wizard parent cannot inject a little extra magic in you, what will? The learning of even high level magic spells isn’t actually that difficult–Ian’s able to Mary-Jane his way into a top level sorcerer in about a day’s time–but something arbitrary and deeply unfair prevents Barley from being able to cast magic, despite the fact that Manticores and pixies can fly, centaurs can run fast, and basically every other magical creature can magic stuff. Barley doesn’t feel jealous about this (yet), but it does sort of subjugate him to the dewy-eyed, cheerleading best friend role in a way that doesn’t quite feel resolved.

I didn’t find Onward to be boring, not nearly as terrible as The Good Dinosaur, and I prefer it immensely to sequel three of Toy Story or even two of Frozen.
EvanpotterrevieMay 1, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Onward Review

Everyones saying Pixar is back, that Onward is so orginal and creative. Call Me buzzkill train because it is lame,coprately manufactered, boring in some cases and predictible from start to finish. I hate this film way more than Cars 2 (which i enjoy ironicly) Onward basicly took two MCU Stars (Tom Holland and Chris Pratt) and mixed them in a generic story that you'd think is a Box Office Bomb of a DREAMWORKS Movie and reuses regular Fantasy Tropes. Over all Onward is Lukewarm at Best and absoultey bland and mediocre at worse. Like Cars 2, Onward is made for KIDS AND KIDS ONLY. Sometimes its funny but other times it uses Junvinal humor aimed at the lowest common detonator or Obscure Doungons and Dragon refrences on huge DAD fans will get

the story (with all do respect to the director) is reused with so much issues and chiches

sorry if this review is late but i felt like i NEEDED TO write this review. Thank you for reading my review. Stay Home, Stay Safe folks!
TyranianMar 29, 2020
Not as bad as Toy Story 4 but without the great characters and witty writing that made Pixar.
imthenoobApr 22, 2020
It's honestly just another generic, instantly forgettable animated film by Disney. It was bad enough that even my nephew walked away from it and he loves animated movies.
KlebartMar 10, 2020
The movie itself is watchable and generally enjoyable. The short film that opens before the main film is completely worthless. It has no point. It's not funny or entertaining at all and ruins the opening of the main film.
JoeCoolMar 13, 2020
This movie is pretty subpar for Pixar. The concept of a modern world simply having gotten out of touch with magic and some RPG-game kids rediscovering it and going on a quest might sound nice, but it tries too hard. While the third act isThis movie is pretty subpar for Pixar. The concept of a modern world simply having gotten out of touch with magic and some RPG-game kids rediscovering it and going on a quest might sound nice, but it tries too hard. While the third act is emotionally rewarding, overall the journey isn't all that it could have been. Expand
FadeBlackMar 3, 2021
Probably the worst effort Disney or Pixar have ever made. Felt completely by the numbers, predictable in every way, devoid of anything interesting. The focus on the brother's relationship is hard to dislike, but at the same time it wasProbably the worst effort Disney or Pixar have ever made. Felt completely by the numbers, predictable in every way, devoid of anything interesting. The focus on the brother's relationship is hard to dislike, but at the same time it was delivered in the most unremarkable and uninspiring way. Expand
JLuis_001Mar 17, 2020
Pixar never challenges but delights, although Onward is unlikely to sneak into the studio's most notable titles, especially because despite the quality, this story feels a bit docile, because it doesn't seem like it tried to amaze itsPixar never challenges but delights, although Onward is unlikely to sneak into the studio's most notable titles, especially because despite the quality, this story feels a bit docile, because it doesn't seem like it tried to amaze its audience but simply to entertain them. With quality yes but not with that magic of their best stories.

Definitely recommended, don't have doubts about that but it's missing more punch.

And while the comparison with Fullmetal Alchemist can be argued, ultimately they're both different stories.
ajzeg01May 14, 2020
When I first heard about this movie, I was really excited. It’s the first movie in Pixar’s new initiative to focus only on original films once again. That, and I like the idea behind the movie. What if a Lord of the Rings-esque fantasy worldWhen I first heard about this movie, I was really excited. It’s the first movie in Pixar’s new initiative to focus only on original films once again. That, and I like the idea behind the movie. What if a Lord of the Rings-esque fantasy world progressed into the modern era with technology? I know there was that Netflix movie Bright with the same idea, but that movie sucked. I expected that Pixar would do something a lot more interesting with the idea and tell a better story with it. However, and it pains me to say this, but this movie is not very good. It’s not a terrible movie by any means, but by Pixar standards this is definitely on the bottom half of their filmography. First of all, the universe this movie takes place in it not very interesting. It’s literally just a modern setting that just happens to be inhabited by fantasy creatures. There were some interesting ideas, like fantasy RPGs being based on history, but there weren’t really any interesting design choices and it doesn’t feel very well thought-out. I can’t help but compare Onward to Zootopia, another animated film that takes place in an alternate universe, in which animals evolved and became civilized. In that movie, every detail of the world was fleshed out. There was real thought and attention to detail given to this world and how it would function with its different-sized inhabitants. There’s nothing like that in Onward. The comedy did not work for me at all. I never laughed once. The writing and dialogue just isn’t that great. Also, one of the main characters is a disembodied pair of legs. It was an interesting idea, but I don’t feel like the character was expressive enough and I don’t feel like he had enough of a connection with the other two main characters when he really should, he’s their resurrected dead father. He’s treated like a prop half the time. The story felt very repetitive and way too familiar. I feel like I’ve seen something like it in a million other movies. As for the animation, it’s fine. It’s appealing and colourful and energetic, but nothing about it stood out or felt like it was pushing the boundaries of technology. Personally, I thought Toy Story 4 looked a lot better. Even some of the Pixar SparkShorts on Disney+ look more impressive. Releasing the trailer for Pixar’s next movie Soul before this movie was a big mistake. The animation in that looks a million times better and more interesting. The voice acting was also fine, but I have to say I’m getting pretty sick of Chris Pratt and Tom Holland. They’re in everything! Give some other actors a try! Not every movie needs to have a Marvel actor in it! Give it a rest! Now, believe it or not, there actually is one thing that I really enjoyed about this movie and think is very well-done, the third act. Without giving anything away, all the creativity, emotion and heart that you would expect out of a Pixar movie can be found in the third act. It has a really great climax, some great character moments and a great message. If the whole movie were more like act three, I would have liked it a lot more than I did. However, I can’t really give the movie any extra credit if it only starts getting really good at the end. As for my recommendation, well, if you’re a Pixar fan you’ve probably already seen it. I actually highly recommend that you show it to your kids. I don’t think the unoriginal story or worldbuilding issues would bother them and it does have a really good moral. There’s a lot in it for kids to like. As for older audiences, if you’re a fan of Tolkien or D&D you might get some enjoyment out of it. Otherwise, you could watch it if you’re curious, it’s on Disney+, but I say skip it and wait for Soul. It really doesn’t appeal to adults in the same way that most of Pixar’s other movies do. Man, what is up with Disney lately? It seems ever since Ralph Breaks the Internet, they haven’t been able to make many good non-Marvel movies. All those remakes, Frozen II, The Rise of Skywalker and now Onward, among others, have not been up to Disney’s usual quality. But who cares about quality when you have all the money? Damn shame. Expand
JordanLaytonApr 27, 2020
I think Bright may have burned out my interest in modern worlds filled with fantasy creatures, but despite that I still enjoyed this brothers adventure movie from Pixar.

I don't know why the aesthetic of this just doesn't quite rub me the

I don't know why the aesthetic of this just doesn't quite rub me the right way. Maybe it just feels like an indication that Pixar is out of ideas in terms of crazy new worlds to show us? Regardless of that gripe, this was still a good film.

Tom Holland and Chris Pratt voiced the two brothers in the film and they fully melted into their characters. You would think these two MCU and Parks and Rec stars would be extremely recognizable, but I only noticed it was them for the first couple of scenes. From them on I was nicely immersed in the adventurous plot this movie has. What was particularly nice about said plot is that nearly every problem the main characters face throughout it related to their relationship as brothers in some way or another. Whether it was the elder teaching the younger something, the elder learning to not underestimate the younger, or the two of them coming to fully trust one another, the core of almost every obstacle they encountered on their grand journey tied back into a different aspect of their brotherhood. It shouldn't come as any surprise that Pixar nailed all the feels in this one. One aspect of the film that felt a little half-baked was the mother's b-plot of chasing after her children. It didn't service the story at all and had one equally half-baked payoff. It makes sense that a mother would go after her children like she does, but I just wish her story was given another beat or two. The way it is just makes it seem like an obvious, weak, insert character for any parents watching with their kids. Onward feels like a film that had a lot of hands on it throughout its writing process. Several side characters come off completely unnecessary and a few plot points just don't feel fully developed. It doesn't help that the films aesthetic isn't quite for me. That said, Pixar nailed what it almost always does in terms of beautiful animation and main character beats that result in many not-so-dry eyes. Definitely worth watch if you already have Disney+.
DedCermaloLlibeOct 3, 2021
Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
sergiopalma02Nov 16, 2021
An unfortunate casualty of the pandemic, I really hope this one doesn't get forgotten.
TheQuietGamerMar 20, 2021
While not good enough to reach the upper echelon of the Pixar pantheon, Onward is better than it perhaps may have seemed at first glance. It might not succeed at selling the feeling of having reintroduced magic and adventure into itsWhile not good enough to reach the upper echelon of the Pixar pantheon, Onward is better than it perhaps may have seemed at first glance. It might not succeed at selling the feeling of having reintroduced magic and adventure into its Tolkien-esque fantasy world that has moved on from such things in favor of the comforts or the modern era by the time the credits have rolled, and its tale about a young man overcoming the lack of a father in his life and discovering who he is definitely feels like something we've seen before, but there's still enough heart and humor here to provide an enjoyable and emotional experience regardless. In fact, if this hadn't of come from Pixar it probably would have been a little bit more celebrated.

That's a problem the animation studio has run into over the past 10 or so years. After doing the unprecedented and releasing nothing short of straight masterpieces from 1995 to 2010, it's hard to accept anything from them that comes off as even remotely conventional. Yet, although Onward isn't fresh or inventive enough to be the next Toy Story or Ratatouille, it certainly isn't a Cars 2 or Monsters University level disaster. Rather, it ranks comfortably among the likes of Brave and The Good Dinosaur, which are still fantastic movies in their own rights even if they aren't held in as high of regards as the classics.

8.4/10
bfoore90Jun 23, 2020
This movie is pretty subpar for Pixar standards, it's easily their weakest film in a while. The animation and score are gorgeous, the plot leaves alot to be desired.
vitortfvDec 16, 2020
Despite having a certain potential of the other Pixar animations, the script leaves something to be desired and although it appeals to the emotional, it rarely ends up achieving results.
DarknesShadeJul 2, 2020
Surprisingly i loved it!
The trailers didn't hook me, but the movie did make me tear up~
EyesBlueAug 2, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Just one word: Wonderful! Very, very nice and touching!
I liked it really a lot. I adore the movies about fantasy.
MarkTakayamaAug 16, 2020
Disney&Pixar made another great animation film! I loved the characters, especially Ian. He overcomes bullying.HE encourages boys around the world!
manningn15Mar 8, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Onward was so much better than I thought it was going to be, it is my favorite animated movie of 2020, one of my top 5 favorite movies of 2020, one of my top 10 favorite Pixar movies, one of my favorite animated movies of all time, and one of my favorite movies of all time. The writing and story were exceptional, the story was a funny and heartwarming story about family and the connection between siblings that also tugged at my heartstrings. The story made me cry multiple times towards the end of the movie. The animation was phenomenal and gorgeous. The character designs were stupendous especially the designs of Corey, Ian Lightfoot, Barley Lightfoot, the unicorns, Specter, Grecklin, Dewdrop, Colt Bronco, Wilden Lightfoot and Laurel Lightfoot. The voice acting from Chris Pratt, Tom Holland, Octavia Spencer, Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Mel Rodriguez, Tracey Ullman, Grey Griffin, and Lena Waithe was outstanding. The music was excellent. This was an A+ movie. Expand
HpbAug 19, 2020
Certamente dentro de alguns anos ele se tornará um dos clássicos da Pixar porque, embora não seja tão original, a fórmula usada neste é padrão nos filmes da empresa, é lindamente animada e deslumbrantemente convincente, o que nos interessa eCertamente dentro de alguns anos ele se tornará um dos clássicos da Pixar porque, embora não seja tão original, a fórmula usada neste é padrão nos filmes da empresa, é lindamente animada e deslumbrantemente convincente, o que nos interessa e faz a gente querer saber como tudo vai acabar . E mesmo sabendo do fim, simpatizamos com os personagens carismáticos que gostamos de seguir em sua jornada! Expand
meydianarizki21Nov 2, 2020
Age doesn't matter, watch this movie!
Age doesn't matter, watch this movie!
It's a fantastic movie! It might fall into cliches but that's what the movie is all about. It brings the sense of epic to the viewer and engage with their feelings. It's well balanced, as the movie emphasizes in the adventure aspect of it but without forgetting comic times as well as really touchy moments were you'll for sure be moved. It's a great movies that will introduce you to some aspects of role playing in a way you probably haven't thought before. Great for both kids and adults
LajaleaaJan 3, 2021
"I never had a dad, but I always had you."
( 80/100 ) . Pixar logró estrenar dos proyectos en un año demasiado trágico y caótico. "Oward" es el primero y tuve la fortuna de verla en el cine. Es oficialmente la última película que vi antes
"I never had a dad, but I always had you."
( 80/100 )
Pixar logró estrenar dos proyectos en un año demasiado trágico y caótico. "Oward" es el primero y tuve la fortuna de verla en el cine. Es oficialmente la última película que vi antes de que los cines cerraran por la pandemia. La experiencia fue muy amable y conmovedora. No evita el cliché pero cuida la madures en el clímax y por eso "Onward" se merece un cálido abrazo. Dirigido por Dan Scanlon, director de "Monsters University" (2013), la historia presenta a dos hermanos elfos en un mundo donde coexiste la magia y las criaturas míticas que buscan ver y hablar con su padre una última vez en su vida. "Onward" es una seria de aventuras que nos permite conocer a los personajes y al mundo en el que viven, así como sus inspiraciones, anhelos y recuerdos. Este viaje une a los hermanos lo suficiente como para ganarse el cariño del publico y es suficientemente entretenido como para que haya muy pocas quejas. Aunque la garantía del éxito en cada aventura se puede previsualizar, los acontecimientos logran crear suficiente tensión como para sostener la atención constantemente.
Tom Holland y Chris Pratt son las voces principales. Holland logra evocar un sentimiento de timidez e introversión en su personaje, mientras que Pratt logra complementar con carisma y energía. La dramática está equilibrada, pero su mayor éxito esta en el final de la película, pues la combinación entre los personajes y el destino de la historia crean un momento muy conmovedor, lleno de moraleja, sensible y con una fuerza emocional muy bonita.
En cuestión a la animación y lo visual Pixar lo hace de nuevo. Hay una textura muy vibrante en la película y la velocidad de la animación sorprende, pues denota un dominio muy grande sobre ese arte. El vestuario es algo simple y la escenografía no es increíble, pero sí es preciosa.
"Onward" es un hermoso equilibrio entre lo que la gente quiere ver con un crudo giro de madurez que se comparte con sensibilidad y cariño.
Pixar achieves to release two projects in a very tragic and chaotic year. The first of them is "Onward", which I had the fortune to watch in cinemas and is officially the last movie that I watched before the cinemas get closed by the pandemic. The experience was very friendly and moving, without avoiding the cliche but taking care of maturity at the climax, "Onward" deserves a warm hug. Directed by Dan Scanlon, director of "Monsters University" (2013), the story presents two elf brothers in a world where magic and mythical creatures coexist searching to see and talk with their father one last time in their lives. "Onward" is a series of adventures that let us know about the characters and the world they live in, as their inspirations, dreams, and memories too. This journey unites the brothers enough to win the public charm, and it entertains enough to reduce complaints. Although the guarantee of success in each adventure can be previewed, the events manage to create enough tension to sustain constant attention.
Tom Holland and Chris Pratt are the main voices. Hollands achieves to evoke a feeling of shyness and introversion in his character, while Pratt complements successfully with charisma and energy. The drama is balanced, but the biggest success is at the end of the movie since the relation between the characters and the destiny of the story creates a very moving momentum, full of message, sensible, and with beautiful emotional strength.
On the animation and visual side, Pixar does it again. There is a vibrant texture in the movie, and the speed of the animation surprises because it proves a big and versatile control over this art. The costume design is a little simple, and the scenery is not amazing, but it is cute.
"Onward" is a beautiful balance between what people want to see with a raw maturity twist shared with sensibility and charm.
BulgarianCriticJan 7, 2022
The movie might start a bit slow but it really becomes interesting and partially sad by the end. The so called villain was put there just to up the stakes but oh well. There were some pretty funny moments like mythical beasts thinking aboutThe movie might start a bit slow but it really becomes interesting and partially sad by the end. The so called villain was put there just to up the stakes but oh well. There were some pretty funny moments like mythical beasts thinking about their corporate sponsors and such. Do check it out there is something new to see. Expand
sebastianaliDec 16, 2020
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Lo que mas llama la atención de la película es la ambientación en general, muy innovadora en ese sentido, ademas de tener gráficos muy bonitos... Pero desgraciadamente la historia, si bien tiene sus momentos, les falta cosas por explotar. Específicamente hubiera estado bueno que explotaran todas las cosas del pasado que se mencionan, en vez de quedar en un segundo plano (hasta cerca del final). Tampoco se cuenta como el padre de Ian consiguió el bastón de mago, junto con la piedra mágica, ademas de saber como funcionaba... Eso si que esta bastante forzado. Pero quitando eso, es en parte memorable y definitivamente tiene sus momentos, como la relación entre hermanos que la película intenta transmitir. Para pasar el rato, la recomiendo bastante. Expand
QuintonKnightJul 23, 2020
Heartwarming Pixar movie is lots of dumb fun, but there isn't much special personality and traits with this film that make it stand out. It will be forgotten. But still, that doesn't mean the film is BAD per say.

My Metacritic Score: 62
SorryboisJun 27, 2020
Why do so many people brush this movie off? It holds a special place in my heart. It comforts people during lockdown and is all about family. Go watch it on kimcartoon.to if you have not already.
zNeverSleepingJun 23, 2020
Dois irmãos é magnifico, tendo tudo que uma animação precisa para ser marcante!

Dois irmãos é magnifico, tendo tudo que uma animação precisa para ser marcante!

A principio, o universo apresentado é muito interessante e peculiar. Houve uma época onde a magia era essencial, porém a tecnologia tomou protagonismo e as pessoas escolheram o que lhe era mais conveniente. O interessante, quanto a narrativa, é que o filme não problematiza a tecnologia, mas apresenta o ponto de que a mesma é uma evolução natural - que devemos seguir em frente [guardem isso ao assistir o filme]-, mas que não devemos esquecer tais "costumes". Podemos trazer isso a vida real com menos, como preferir conversar pessoalmente, mas não abandonar os aplicativos mensageiros.

Enfim a família nos é apresentada. A base da trama é bem simples, partindo do Ian, um adolescente querendo se encontrar no mundo, mas que parece perdido, e sem a presença de um pai - que o mesmo se inspira-, tudo piora. Sua mãe, Laurel, é muito autônoma e dá conta até onde pode [inclusive, gostei muito de não antagonizarem o padrasto dos garotos]. Pouco tempo depois, Barley, irmão mais velho, nos é apresentado, e o filme parece brincar com a imagem do mesmo. Com perfil musculoso, roupas "rebeldes", um certo tipo de glorificação do passado, o irmão parece mais um problema para o protagonista, porém tudo muda com o tempo, com ele se tornando o melhor personagem do filme, para mim. E eu fico me perguntando... como seria se aquela cena fosse do ponto de vista do Barley e não do Ian, afinal, é revelado que Ian acha o seu irmão um inútil em certo ponto da historia. O ponto de vista poderia ser diferente.

Enfim, após descobrir uma carta do pai, o filme gira sua atenção integralmente para isso, enquanto a trama real - a que mais importa - é construída no subcontexto: o amor e amizade entre os irmãos.

As piadas são muito leves, e para alguém da minha idade, talvez não funcione muito. Os irmãos não são lá os mais carismáticos, mas tem uma personalidade rica, compreensível e apreciável. Também amei algumas sacadas, como o sacrifício da van - achei muito emocionante, partido do fato que é uma van; e a dinâmica entre a metade do pai.

Quanto ao plot, achei a briga um pouco forçada. É claro que a separação precisava acontecer, mas não acho que essa tenha sido a melhor maneira, porém, o plot é tão agradável que eu desconsiderei isso. A revelação da subtrama, quanto aos irmãos, é emocionante e dá um sentido novo ao filme. O que antes era uma obra ok, se tornou expendida, com um novo significado. E o clímax não decepciona. A batalha entre o dragão versus Manticore, Laurel e Ian - usando todos os poderes - é sensacional, e logo após isso, a sacada de não mostrar o pai foi genial. Escapando de julgamentos, o filme prefere mostrar o seu espectro, sua imagem paternal, e devo dizer que funcionou perfeitamente...

Nota 9.
Sarcastic_DevisDec 5, 2021
Lo so, il prossimo doveva essere il remake di Mulan, ma non ero psicologicamente pronto.

Comunque è un buon film, molto divertente, esilarante in certi punti. Ma è tristemente trascinato giù dalla storia fin troppo prevedibile e dai personaggi per nulla interessanti. Gran peccato ma, sapendo com'è la Pixar negli ultimi anni, non dovrei nemmeno sorprendermi.

Consigliato? Prendetelo per quello che è, è divertente quanto basta.
Scotty795Jun 21, 2021
First off, I never understand why this website always gives movies just poor reviews. Every other movie review site like Rotton Tomatoes and IMBD have great reviews for this great movie.