Universal Pictures | Release Date: June 22, 2001
7.8
Generally favorable reviews based on 423 Ratings
Watch Now
axelkochJul 28, 2012
Let's keep it short: Horrible camera work, which hurts to see sometimes. Looks like everything was filmed with a mobile phone camera. Bad script, bad actors, silly soundtrack. You can't give action AND a fully developed story and charactersLet's keep it short: Horrible camera work, which hurts to see sometimes. Looks like everything was filmed with a mobile phone camera. Bad script, bad actors, silly soundtrack. You can't give action AND a fully developed story and characters in just 100 minutes. I'm happy, Rob Cohen wasn't allowed to make the other FF-Films too. Expand
cameronmorewoodNov 7, 2012
A lame overdose of chicks and cars that'll make you dizzy with bad camera work and make you scratch your head at its inane dialogue and dumb plot line.
Wise_guyJul 2, 2012
This was an excellent movie. I was surprised how much fun it was. Solid performances from the cast with very few exceptions, and as much action and racing as you could possibly want.
SimpleReviewzJun 16, 2014
Sweet Jesus. I found Fast 5 and the sixth one to be entertaining, but the one that started it all? Awful. I watched this movie at my friend's house over Robocop. Man, I wish we changed our minds. The only thing this movie relies on is sexySweet Jesus. I found Fast 5 and the sixth one to be entertaining, but the one that started it all? Awful. I watched this movie at my friend's house over Robocop. Man, I wish we changed our minds. The only thing this movie relies on is sexy women and cars to entertain. The acting is lackluster, and the action scenes and races are unacceptably boring. The plot isn't good enough to be a positive, either. Yes, the entire movie was made 13 years ago. However, that isn't a saving grace for me not to call this movie awful. It is. The only reason I wrote this is to say how bad it was. Expand
ToddDowNov 12, 2014
This movie helped to absolutely RUIN the car scene in post 2001 America. I can't believe they have made 6 of these in total. I remember everyone in their Mommy's Honda Accord trying to do a burnout in the parking lot after watching it. Pathetic.
nicholasbertApr 2, 2015
A silly script with dozens of major plot holes and dumb dialogues, packed with overacting and every possible cliché about street racing you can conceive. When Vin Diesel is the best actor in the whole cast, you know something's very wrong.A silly script with dozens of major plot holes and dumb dialogues, packed with overacting and every possible cliché about street racing you can conceive. When Vin Diesel is the best actor in the whole cast, you know something's very wrong. Things get especially unrealistic towards the end of the movie, with some plot development remaining obscure (probably in the hopes that nobody would notice).

Still, given its attempt at keeping it somewhat realistic and interesting, episode 1 is by far the best episode of the whole series.
EducruzOct 15, 2014
This film is a total copy of Point Break. God-cop, infiltrates gang to discovers the bad guys, than PUMMM they are the bad guys, but now they are friends, and at the end after catch him, and let him go after
FuturedirectorMar 16, 2017
Well-acted but terribly flawed and noisy. The Fast and The Furious has more enthusiasm on its cheesy teenage exploitation flicks of the 1950s than trying to live up its name.