I think Dragon Quest Heroes is far enough removed from the standard musou experience that even if you’re not a Dynasty Warrior fan of some sort, you can still get a whole lot of enjoyment out of this title. More so if you’re a Dragon Quest fan to begin with, but barring that, I still think Dragon Quest Heroes is worth checking out.
Dragon Quest Heroes is just fun. The visual style is gorgeous, and the game play hits all the right notes with some fantastic pacing. Fans of the genre should definitely check it out, but even those usually put off by it, should definitely keep an eye on it.
This game is worth every penny! Challenging, good story, nice effects, and also got very smooth, well balanced characters. The skills are amazingly distributed which is suiting respective characters according to their class.
I will highly recommend people to get their hands on this game
Since it is simply entertaining :)
Dragon Quest meets Dynasty Warriors and provides dozens of hours of fun (one dozen less would have been beneficial though), tons of side quests, all Japanese DLCs and plenty of special attacks to discover. If you’re looking for a Japanese action RPG and you’re not allergic to Warriors, you should give Dragon Quest Heroes a chance. [13/2015, p.54]
Nice graphics, mechanics but a bit boring, and worst of all - story is .... just bad. No. Its awfull. HORRIBLE. It may be ok if Youre 10 years old max. But then **** not so sure about that either... I just felt bad that I actually finished this game... this amount of time wasted... I write this down to remember to never do that again with DQ franchise.
I bought this game having loved Dragon Quest VIII as a child. I was very disappointed however as I found out it was nothing like the fun memories I had playing DQ8.
I went into this game hyped and ready for a fun filled JRPG, but found myself bored and irritated doing the same thing over and over again. The first hour of this game I was holding onto hope that it would pick up, but after 2 hours I realized the game would be nothing more than "go and fight these monsters", "return to base and get some supplies", "go and fight these monsters", "return to base and get some supplies" etc, etc, etc.
I held on, hoping the story would at least be decent. Unfortunately I can't really give any good points for the story either. It was extremely basic, clichéd and boring. The characters (obviously being from previous DQ games) gave the game a slight uplift, however again, they didn't contribute to anything else apart from "oh it's them from..." due to the story being so terrible.
Not being a huge fan of Japanese dubbed games, I usually choose English dub. The English voice acting in this game was noticeably bad. I don't usually pick up on bad voice acting, but I can assure you it's uncomfortable in DQH.
The frustrating difficulty spikes got pathetic. The game was either far too easy or far too difficult. Trying to defend someone with barely any health against 400+ enemies is just downright silly. There was no variation in missions either, it ranged from defeating monsters/clearing the map, escorting, defending a certain person/object and that's it.
Being a completionist, I persevered and got the platinum trophy. Far too much grinding (even for a JRPG) BORING grinding made it even worse. The trophies themselves were basic and didn't have a huge variety of play styles, most of it is grinding, grinding, grinding.
The mechanics themselves worked well, but the repeated hack and slash got (again) boring after the first 15 hours.
All in all, a very disappointing game and one in which you will not get much enjoyment.
Graphically, it looked very nice
A good choice/range of characters to choose from
Lacking in a good story
Voice acting was abysmal
Frustrating difficulty spikes/unrealistic missions
First off, this game is not worth the full price, it is at best a 20$ game. It is only "Dragon Quest" by name, the game removes many elements of a traditional RPG game.
1. Combat: The game is no longer turn-based. The hack and slash action seem fun and refreshing the first 30 minutes; after that it's just mindless button smashing. There is very little depth or strategy. The AI is horrible for both your parties and the enemies. Most of the time, your allies and enemies are just standing around doing nothing. Graphic (while charming) and frame are sub-par. The skill system is laughable. Each characters has 4 active skills, leveling up don't give you more powerful skills or combos, just stupid passives like +5 to strength or increase defense when low hp. Frankly, it does not matter what characters you use or what party formation, just spam X or Triangle.
2. Story: The story is cliche, nonsensical, and down right childish. Maybe that is part of the charm, but the biggest offender is that there is no longer a sense of adventure/exploration. Basically, you have your one and only town (the airship) early on, and for the entire game, you just jump from mini dungeons to mini dungeons either killing stuff on defending something. Calling this game an RPG is borderline criminal.
3. Quest/Side Quests: Quests are repetitive and uninspiring. Like I said before, the game is just a series of mini-dungeons, and in each, you either have to kill all monsters or defend something by killing all monsters. The side quests are the same but adds in the option to collect some item by killing monsters.
4. Characters: They are cliche with very little character development. I personally don't care for any of them. As matter of fact, you could remove them entirely from the game and it would not affect the story line at all. They are just there to fill spaces and give you the illusion of a party.
5. Miscellaneous : The user interface is horrible. You can't sell buy/multiple items at once. You have to listen to the merchants repeating the same freaking lines every time you try to do something. Everything is just slow and cumbersome designed to artificially inflate play time. Not everything is voiced, you have to listen to NPC grunt and make weird noises every time you try to talk to them. And there is no option for fast dialog box or the option to disable sounds from the Controller (what a way to drain the battery).
SummaryIn DRAGON QUEST HEROES, players must rise up against insurmountable odds, challenging swarms of enemies and conquering gigantic monsters. DRAGON QUEST HEROES comes to the PlayStation 4 with characters and monsters designed by artist Akira Toriyama.