6.8

1. Feb 27, 2022
    - Formulaic storytelling that feels extremely derivative. It was acceptable to a point with the previous titles, but with Elden Ring, it feels like it's gone past that and now it just feels cheap and lazy.
    - This game is a galore of reused assets, animations, and everything in between. There seems to be very little to this game that's wholly unique; almost everything you see has been ripped shamelessly from Dark Souls 3 or Bloodborne and changed slightly (if even that).
    - No benefit to the addition of an open world. It serves no purpose to enrich the gameplay and in fact hurts the game as FromSoftware has had great level design in past games which can't be accomplished as well with an open world game. Furthermore, the world feels extremely empty and dead as there are ridiculously vast amounts of lands filled with nothing.
    - Crafting adds unnecessary bloat to a game that doesn't really need it and mounted combat trivializes the vast majority of fights, which is probably because the overworked developers didn't have time to design any of the fights against it.

In conclusion, Elden Ring proves that FromSoftware is no longer the innovative game developer from a few years ago that was afraid to take risks and give us something fresh and new. Elden Ring is an exact, formulaic repeat of every Souls game that came after Dark Souls 2 that feels mediocre at best. This isn't Elden Ring, this is Souls 2K22.
  2. Mar 9, 2022
    2012 graphics + YOU DIED + blind fanboi = best game ever ???
    This is the most overrated game ever. if Ubisoft or EA release this game it would be 7/10 or 8/10 maximum
  3. Feb 27, 2022
    Really good game with a bad PC launch. Let's hope FromSoftware can fix these performance issues soon because aside from that the game is really good.

I miss the posture gauge and parry mechanic from Sekiro tho :(
  4. Mar 29, 2022
    ------------------ after more hours - it wasnt more attractive
    Its not hard and challenging. Its just dumb. Let me explain how is this **** in can masterpiece"
    ------------------ after more hours - it wasnt more attractive
    My first defeated boss. Walked down to canyon by some dumb Mario Bros shortcut (horse only, climbing is to difficult for programmers). Found crypt with stone goblins and boss. Read a lot of spoilers "look left etc". Skyrim is scarier. Tried to kill goblin ahead, targeting button is locking one on sealing, cant change target.... Found some ground button to unlock door. I dont see something - why mount door open button so far away. So complicated mechanism and no door key. Ive killed few times goblins to spend runes for next level. Why i cant spend runes for 0.7 part of level? Thats why i feel little like in MMO kill mobs until level up and next kill boss...
    Killing boss wasnt easy a specially when not killed goblins and just run to the boss room. 2 problems - goblin heads in magic boss door and summoned wolves attacking them without effect.
    3-rd problem dumb fight style with bosses - hundrets of non physical dodges, wrong collisions, and not many options with weapon and shield, little dumb counters. More logic would be some aikido/judo movements with so much mass difference or just big cannon, physical huge companion/minion/army,... Next part after killing goblins and boss i've won. Lot of stones "i did it" etc but for what? I didnt saw any loot. Weaker goblin had more attractive but also dumb stone head helmet.
    No satisfactions. Same thing with killing large trolls.
    My opinion was 5/10 now i could only give less. 3/10

----------------earlier review
    Maybe too early for review, but just boring, not intriguing. Bigger overhype than CP77. How its possible to get so many possitives before release?
    - optimization 3/10
    - story 2/10 (fingers, rings, witches, some boring ideas)
    - graphics and nice atmospheric lightning 7/10
    - menu and shortcuts with keyboard 2/10
    - physics and fighting 5/10
    - open world i don't feel consistance, reason to go further. Its so chaotic and claustrophobic in design.
    - tutorial 2/10 - i hate this text stones. I dont know why i cannot summon spirits. Ive found after hours how to run and lock target.
    - fighting - u die very often but painless. It would be easy when u find weak points, preferred weapon sets and know how to run, but its too old style. Not much physics, cant undecide to do some move. Illogical counter, block, break system or animations. Only left right attack axis. I dont want to enable enemy lock to move backwards. Tps camera lock would be better for me.
    -level up system 4/10 (good are small changes between levels but i prefer training level up style than some collecting runes)

Overall: 5/10 - only because i hope next part of the game would be maybe more interesting.
  5. Feb 28, 2022
    Absolute Peak of From Software games. The sheer amount of content available for the player to explore is absurd.
  6. Feb 26, 2022
    PC performance is extremely subpar. The lack of ultrawide support in 2022 is unacceptable. The pc version of this game was obviously an after thought in the development process and it shows.
  7. Feb 26, 2022
    Es un juego excelente y hermoso con todas letras. GOTY seguro. Tiene fallas como cualquier juego de mundo abierto cuando recién se lanza. Pero a pesar de ello, es muy disfrutable. Un muy buen trabajo hicieron. Hacía bastante que no disfrutaba un juego así. Mis felicitaciones a Miyazaki y todo el equipo de From Software.
  8. Feb 26, 2022
    Oh, I wanted to like this game. I have a great gaming PC, love open world games, love the genre. I had been waiting for this. Unfortunately the game is clunky (even with top hardware), but worse it is just predictable and dull. Graphics are decent, but not great. Battles are clunky hack and slash affairs with little enjoyment to be had. I will say that my dual sense PS5 controllerOh, I wanted to like this game. I have a great gaming PC, love open world games, love the genre. I had been waiting for this. Unfortunately the game is clunky (even with top hardware), but worse it is just predictable and dull. Graphics are decent, but not great. Battles are clunky hack and slash affairs with little enjoyment to be had. I will say that my dual sense PS5 controller worked decently well with the game. I didn't give this game a super low rating because it isn't terrible, it just isn't good. It reminds me quite a bit of the game play in New World, which I also didn't care for, although I think NW was the better of the two games. I think 4/10 is a fair rating for this one. Expand
  9. Feb 26, 2022
    Terrible controls for PC. Who was in charge of setting up the keybinds? Did they ever play a PC game before in their entire lives? Or did they perhaps use a random letter picker to determine which key should do which action? Who binds "back/exit" to Q but not to Esc? Also, why is the lowest sensitivity still spinning my camera like a beyblade? I can't see anything when I ride because myTerrible controls for PC. Who was in charge of setting up the keybinds? Did they ever play a PC game before in their entire lives? Or did they perhaps use a random letter picker to determine which key should do which action? Who binds "back/exit" to Q but not to Esc? Also, why is the lowest sensitivity still spinning my camera like a beyblade? I can't see anything when I ride because my camera is dancing out of control.
    This is not a PC issue, but what's up with the dodge? Why would you make the character dodge on button release? It feels wonky and bad. It's not even about getting good at this point, it's just plain annoying when your entire muscle memory is based on dodging on time instead of before.
    Not to mention the animations are recycled from DS. There is no ultrawide support. Game stutters in the open world.
    Jesus, which team of individuals decided this was an optimal gaming experience? Punish me through actual mechanics and combat, not by making a game that is inconvenient to play.
  10. Feb 26, 2022
    - Bad keyboard controls adaptation in main menu.
    - Average performance despite past-gen graphics.
    - Lags when loading a new location on its borders.
    - Lags in the boss fight in an open air location.
    Setup: i5-8400, GTX 1060 3GB, 16GB RAM, SSD, Windows 10.

It seems like the game wasn't ready for release, but they decided to publish it anyway.
  11. Feb 27, 2022
    Almost every single bad review is complaining about performance. That can be fixed. Most of these reviewers that are giving negative reviews are expecting the game to run on their potato machines. The game definitely needs optimization but it's definitely playable. Game is amazing. If you want more accurate reviews check steam reviews where people have to own the game to be able to review.
  12. Feb 26, 2022
    Masterpiece. I was not sure if Souls formula was going to work in open-world but From absolutely nailed it. Exploration is super rewarding with secrets and bosses almost everywhere.
  13. Feb 26, 2022
    Unfortunately it was a hard pass for me on PC. This is a poor PC port, play it on PS5 if you must. My review is for the technical problems game is facing on PC: Overall 5 out of 10 at this current state on PC.

1. Game locks FPS at 60. 2. Game does not support Ultra Wide - Intentionally (developer actually blocks the ultra wide by drawing black on screen to increase FPS) 3. Game

1. Game locks FPS at 60.
    3. Game graphics are somewhat worse than Witcher 3 and a bit better than Zelda Breath of Wild.
    4. By default it will use Controller mappings even when you do not have controller attached to PC. You may get stuck in settings UI easily.
    5. There are frame rate drops in open world on any hardware type
    6. There is a 250 ms microstutter in first time enemy encounters.

list goes on and on

if you must play this, give it a try on console. not here. you are warned. Ignoring technical problems aside it is an addictive action game with skill progress. I would not call this story driven RPG. So not this is not Skyrim or Witcher killer. It is a different game all together. Now lets talk about story.

What a lazy guy he became. He basically wrote the story of a game that doesnt really have much of a story? It's a serious question, what exactly he wrote?

I am playing the game on PS5. It is unacceptable on PC right now. It is a good game, with nice combat mechanics and difficulty. Graphics are "ok", if you remove the glowing trees, it will be more apparent it is closer to Oblivion quality then Skyrim. It's nothing to write home about. But settings are interesting. I am about 10 hours in so its a bit early but. Just like other soul games, story is not the focus here, if there is one, one can omit it. So i am asking again , what did GRR Martin write exactly? lazy guy who stopped writing GoT and stopped in the middle of war, obviously prefer writing stories for games that actually dont have much stories. Peace out
  14. Feb 26, 2022
    How to recommend a game when FromSoftware is released on PC with so much carelessness. Absurd and constant FPS drops, which almost make your progress in the game unfeasible. The game doesn't even support ULTRAWIDE, which is standard for PC releases these days. FSR and DLSS support so, no way. I'm sorry FS, as much as I love you guys, I can't accept such neglect.
  15. Feb 26, 2022
    I can't give Elden Ring right now a good score although I am enjoying it a lot because of the pc port, Stuttering, 60 fps cap, no wide screen resolution, no good mouse and keyboard implementation, you cannot even go back from setting if you don't have a gamepad and to be clear I am playing with a gamepad but this is very bad news because there will be people willing to play the game withI can't give Elden Ring right now a good score although I am enjoying it a lot because of the pc port, Stuttering, 60 fps cap, no wide screen resolution, no good mouse and keyboard implementation, you cannot even go back from setting if you don't have a gamepad and to be clear I am playing with a gamepad but this is very bad news because there will be people willing to play the game with no gamepad because they are pc players and right now is unplayable for them. I would give a great score to ER if this problems were solved but no matter how good it is, if it is failing in the technical part then you get a bad grade. Expand
  16. Mar 3, 2022
    (I see that the game has some notable negative reviews. Some are mad and refunding the game. I have three responses:

(1) I rage quit Dark Souls back in 2012 after 3 hours of frustrating play. But after putting down the game for a week, clearing my head, and watching guides, I went back to playing what I discovered to be my favorite game series for years. For those initially disappointed, I encourage you to take a break, watch some guides, and try again!

(2) If it’s really not for you, that’s perfectly fine! There are great games that I would absolutely refuse to play (Ninja Gaiden series, Nioh etc.) after trying it out a bit, solely because it’s not my type of game. I respect those games nonetheless and would never hate on them just because I don’t like them.

(3) If you’re somehow angry at the game for the high critic reviews, I’m glad that From angered the right people: not their long-time fans. As a long-time Souls player, I’m not angry in it in the slightest. Some people overhyped this game to be something it’s not, but it’s what I wanted as a long-time fan of Fromsoftware: an excellent game that pushes the genre to another level while keeping its core identity.

It’s not a perfect game by any means. The bugs for many people are horrible, and I hope they’re fixed soon.

And though I’m very happy with it, it’s not 100% what I expected from the game. I was hoping for a more majestic open world, and not another decaying, post-fall-of-the-Gods kind of story. The world could be less drab and foggy.

But for a guy who impulsively bought Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition 10 years ago and ended up loving the series, I can see that this game was made with a lot of love.

More room for improvement means more games. I will eagerly await the next Fromsoftware game. Until then, I’ll happily get lost in The Lands Between for the next few years. It’s a 10/10 for me.
  17. Feb 26, 2022
    Performance on this game is horrible, drops in frame rate, stuttering, bad graphics, no support for large screens, etc. Wasn't this supposed to be a whole "new franchise?
  18. Feb 27, 2022
    This game is a 9,9 game which will be a 10,0 when the next patches to fix more performance come out. For me it runs smoothly and I think wide screen support would give unfair advantages in pvp due to the fov.
    This game is definitely phenomenal below the surface of issues many other users were pointing out like missing wide screen support and performance issues.
    I don't think it's fair

I don't think it's fair to rate a game as poor as 0/10 for just one or two issues, even if it's unplayable for a certain amount of time, it'll soon be and you will definitely enjoy it.

It's not fair to rate a game poorly for only one or two issues.
  19. Feb 26, 2022
    Don't trust the reviews of disgruntled users who can't kill Magrit, try it, it's a real masterpiece!
  20. Feb 28, 2022
    Tagline : "Most overrated Runescape clone, hyped up by people who hate the fact that GTA and Assassin's Creed are popular"

What specs you need to run it 60fps - 1080p or 4K, without stutter or lag? - Honest answer is that, no matter how good your PC is, no matter, if you have PS5, this game will perform horribly and only thing you can do is wait for multiple patches. This game goes

What specs you need to run it 60fps - 1080p or 4K, without stutter or lag?

This game goes into same category of games, that have been extremely overhyped and extremely underdelivered. Other examples would be "Cyberpunk 2077", "Fallout 76", "Anthem", "Battlefield 2042" and "Elden Ring" is another fine addition to that list.

So what new groundbreaking mechanics, graphics, open world design, innovative combat or interesting story this game offers? - Pretty much none of these.

Graphically (for some weird reason) this game goes back to 2012/2013. But 2012/2013 had lots of great games and at times "Elden Ring" even looks beautiful, especially the sky, but ground and grass textures are pretty much worse than some 2013 games. For 2022 AAA release this is bad. Game that gets Metascores 95/97 in 2022, should have way more work put into it.

Next up is open world design - There's extreme amount of boring looking, absolutely empty areas. This is automatically bad open world design, because these empty areas, that doesn't even look good have zero purpose to be there. Other areas that actually have something, okay let's make that clear, all that other areas have is trees and monsters. Endless amount of monsters that are simply sitting there, doing nothing, waiting for you to slay them. This is literally Runescape game design 101, i have been playing Runescape since 2004, i know what i'm talking about.

Quests (if you can even call them) are extremely short, boring and you can literally ignore all of them. It's usually some lady asking you to go somewhere, get something, get it back to her. Most hilarious thing is that game doesn't show that you have completed any of them, which basically means that by the end of the game, you forget that you even did these. Runescape has more complex lore, quests and writing than this game can only dream of. Why i'm talking about Runescape and not Skyrim, you might ask - Well because lore wise, Skyrim would be too tough challenger for this game.

Combat is extremely similar to Dark Souls 3, game that released 6 years ago. Same animations, same everything. Anyone who says in that case that "Innovation is overrated" has no right to criticize Rockstar or Ubisoft ever again, just saying.

Anyone who says that having horse is innovative must be a troll, because having this empty open world without any transportation, would be almost insulting.

All in all very weak release, only fun i had in this whole game were two boss fights - Margit and Godrick, i have to say they have extremely unfair combos, attacks and they are pointlessly difficult to beat, especially for 2 first bosses, but at least they have some interesting lore and cool monster design.

1 point for beautiful sky design, 1 point for Margit boss design and 1 point for Godrick boss design.

Overall score 3/10 - Not recommending, unless you have never played open world game before, but even then, you just could play older open world games that are way better.
  21. Feb 26, 2022
    Really bad PC port. Bad performance, no Ultrawide support, 60 fps cap. It's a triple A release, there's no excuse.
  22. Feb 26, 2022
    Hilarious to see people complain about the difficulty, missing quest logs or the combat system when Souls-like clearly isn't their genre. It's like attending a Rammstein concert and complaining about the lack of techno. Put these foolish ambitions to rest. Elden Ring is everything Soulsborne fans love & even better and bigger.
    L + maidenless + plumb out of luck + fully divorced from the
    L + maidenless + plumb out of luck + fully divorced from the strength of runes.
  23. Feb 26, 2022
    Huge, empty open world that is too lazy to explore. I'm tired of the sluggish gameplay from DS series. The intro video was replaced with sketches. No graphic, but frequent friezes. I'll put that hat away for later.
  24. Mar 1, 2022
    No ultrawide support? Performance problems?

Are you guys f.ing out of your minds? The only true excuse would be the fps lock otherwise game runs silky smooth on most hardwares, if you are complaining about performance problems, hope you get stuck on rtx hell where noone could play it properly. I have a gtx 1070 and the game runs much much better than it should tbh. First off, game
    No ultrawide support? Performance problems?

First off, game has no denuvo. Port as it may be but developers are actually showing respect to the players. Sekiro had many many mods and community support beyond launch and this is no different. Game itself is amazing beyond what these whiners deserve. 10/10.
  25. Mar 1, 2022
    This game is the best game I have ever played...and to be quite frank, the review bombs are unfounded in my opinion. Everyone I have talked too who properly updates their PC has had 0 issues, or only very minor ones, with the game.

If you are on PC.....UPDATE TO THE LATEST DRIVERS. Nvidia released a new driver specifically optimized for Elden Ring last week. You need it. It helps. Do not ignore it.
    2nd.....TURN OFF THE STEAM OVERLAY. Steam overlay causes issues with all kinds of games, not just Elden Ring. Just turn the dang thing off and watch your performance improve. I did both of these things and have had 0 issues with frame rate, stuttering, or anything else that everyone is griping about. It is amazing to me how many PC Gamers don't do the basic maintenance of updating drivers to help their game and PC performance.

The game itself is fantastic. It is the classic Dark Souls combat, mixed with an incredible open world with secrets and items to find EVERYWHERE. Literally their seems to be secrets and things to find on every inch of the massive map. Oh, and Boss fights galore. If you like Fromsoft games, then it is the perfect mesh of all their past games. The lore is great, and while there is a clear cut overarching "quest", most of the in-depth lore is still very cryptic and can be discovered through reading item descriptions in true Dark Souls fashion.

I haven't been this into a video games in a lot of years. It ticks all the right boxes, is super addicting, and I find myself thinking about the items, worlds, bosses, and lore even when I am not playing it. It will forever be one of my top 5 gaming experiences, hands down.

So to conclude, ignore the review bombers, update your PC, and enjoy one of the greatest games in recent memory. You will not regret it.
  26. Feb 26, 2022
    Playing media outlets to lie to the audience is just not acceptable. Game is mediocre at best.
  27. Feb 26, 2022
    The game would be perfect without the freezing. Rn its a 7/10. If the fix the issues ill updste these. Also the steam stats and consistancy speak for them self.
  28. Feb 26, 2022
    Excelente videojuego, from software tomo todo lo que aprendio todos estos años y lo puso en elden ring, sin sera un juego del cual se hablara por muchos años.
  29. Feb 26, 2022
    its amazing. This game is basically open world with the dark souls/bloodborne formula. For souls fans this is amazing. For new players, not so much. There isnt a lot of innovative design etc as other people are saying, but why innovate when it aint needed? The PC port itself is bad, the game is amazing. If you can, play it on console, but if you have a high end PC like myself you will haveits amazing. This game is basically open world with the dark souls/bloodborne formula. For souls fans this is amazing. For new players, not so much. There isnt a lot of innovative design etc as other people are saying, but why innovate when it aint needed? The PC port itself is bad, the game is amazing. If you can, play it on console, but if you have a high end PC like myself you will have a blast. Im talking 3090 high end PC, the framrate is locked, but thats easy to circumvent with a mod, same with EAC. I honestly dont care about the technical challenges as they are easy to solve, annoying, but easy to solve.

The game itself is 10/10
  30. Mar 1, 2022
    Yeah, that's it. We ate at the peak of gaming.

This is it. It's all downhill from now.

Elden ring is, with the lack of a better word, a masterpiece.

Don't play it if you like skyrim, button mash and hack-and-slash games. This game is harder than you can probably handle.

The game also does not hold your hand, at all.
    It's your adventure and your own path into becoming an Elden lord.
  31. Feb 26, 2022
    The game is cool. I don't talk about optimization because of old PC. I like it and can't stop playing it, because the world is big and this is similar to dark souls and i like dark souls
  32. Feb 26, 2022
    I've got the very latest drivers and Elden Ring has also received a small patch (which was supposed to target the frame-rate issues) that hasn't fixed the main problem.
  33. Feb 27, 2022
    - Capped at 60fps - No ultrawide support
    - MASSIVE frame drops when visiting new areas and consistent micro stuttering everywhere.

DO NOT BUY THIS GAME IF YOU WANNA PLAY IT ON PC, if only reviewers talked about its performance on pc, i would’ve waited a little bit.
  34. Feb 27, 2022
    If bosses have literally endless amount of combos and special attacks, one after another and then you can maybe get one hit and most of the fight you are just in defense mode, rolling around endlessly, trying to escape, not fight. This is pathetic. This is not good combat design. This is awful. Unless you love to just endlessly run away and feel how pathetic you are, maybe you gonna loveIf bosses have literally endless amount of combos and special attacks, one after another and then you can maybe get one hit and most of the fight you are just in defense mode, rolling around endlessly, trying to escape, not fight. This is pathetic. This is not good combat design. This is awful. Unless you love to just endlessly run away and feel how pathetic you are, maybe you gonna love this combat, but i like games where you can actually truly fight back or have cool battles. Rolling around and hoping to get one hit between 30 seconds is not fun or good design. Jesus christ this game is overrated. Expand
  35. Feb 26, 2022
    There is absolutely no excuse for a game releasing in 2022 to be totally gimped like what From has done with Elden Ring on PC. The PC port is truly atrocious. No ultrawide support (in fact it appears it was intentionally removed, with multiple people saying it works, then soon after is replaced by black bars), FOV messed up, no porting over of Playstation button icons, poor performance,There is absolutely no excuse for a game releasing in 2022 to be totally gimped like what From has done with Elden Ring on PC. The PC port is truly atrocious. No ultrawide support (in fact it appears it was intentionally removed, with multiple people saying it works, then soon after is replaced by black bars), FOV messed up, no porting over of Playstation button icons, poor performance, fps capped at 60. This was pure and simple lazy developing with the aim of making as much money as possible, while screwing over people who paid $60 expecting a competent product. Inexcusable, and 0/10. Expand
  36. Feb 26, 2022
    Disappointingly amateurish open world design, feels like i'm playing something from 2013, but it's not even top level 2013, more like somewhere in the middle. Awful framedrops, worst vegetation graphics i have seen in very long time, boss movements/animations seem to be some random "combo" from all previous Souls games. Sky looks nice, but that's about it.
  37. Feb 26, 2022
    Controls on PC are worst i have seen in any video game ever! Worse than "Resident Evil 4" PC port from 2007. How can video game in state like this get metascore of 95 makes absolutely no sense. It truly makes me question logic behind it.

Graphics? Are we back in 2013? Is this game supposed to represent games from early 2010s? I'm really, really confused, because i haven't seen so bad grass movement/placement since 2012/2013. I think even Assasin's Creed 4 (2013) had better looking grass. Sky actually looks beautiful, so i'm assuming ground and sky had completely different designers? But whoever decided that combining these two into one game was ok, should maybe look for some other job.
    Just saying.

World feels absolutely lifeless. I was free roaming for hours (10+ hours), killing every enemy i met and more i went on, more i discovered how lifeless this whole world is. All enemies are just conveniently placed all over the map and they are simply waiting for you to go and kill them. They hardly move, they hardly do anything tbf.

I really, really tried to like it. I wouldn't spend 10+ hours in a game, that i don't care about. Atmosphere was there, bad graphics were distracting, but it was tolerable, because at times it looks very beautiful. Castles actually look very cool, but they are not as detailed as i would expect AAA 2022 game to be.

If only reason you play this game is killing one boss after another, good for you. I was expecting actual 2022 AAA video game, because hardly any game gets metascore 95 and in my opinion, it's not even slightly justified and i'm extremely disappointed.
  38. Mar 20, 2022
    10/10, everything bangs in the game
    -1 for performance issues still after updates.
    9/10. will update to 10/10 if they fix performance issues. date - 20/03
  39. Feb 26, 2022
    Another terrible port from FromSoft. Nearly unplayable with the lag, stuttering and freezes, locked framerate, no ultrawide support in 2022. They said they'd do better with PC, they didn't.
  40. Feb 26, 2022
    Are these souls games just big meme? I'm just curious, because that's the only thing that would make sense. Is this some kind of inside joke between reviewers? Some calling it innovative and next step in making open world games, something that shows other companies how to make open world games? I mean, are you guy high or something? Actually serious? Kidding me? Did you even play Red DeadAre these souls games just big meme? I'm just curious, because that's the only thing that would make sense. Is this some kind of inside joke between reviewers? Some calling it innovative and next step in making open world games, something that shows other companies how to make open world games? I mean, are you guy high or something? Actually serious? Kidding me? Did you even play Red Dead Redemption 2 or are souls games literally only games you play and you have never experienced an actual open world game, so you just assume, that Elden Ring's open world is something incredible? I'm disgusted with these reviews and i'm sure other companies are as well. This is literal insult to gaming in general. Expand
  41. Feb 26, 2022
    Perfomance issues are ruining my pleasure. It's sad. I just want to play normaly.
  42. Mar 2, 2022
    Thanks Metacritic! Today you just taught me to not trust users review! I will tell my honest opinion about the game:

this game could be easly a 10 game but is a 9/10, because is true, it has some little thechnical problems and very minor defects (BTW without compromise the playability of the game), and JUST because that. In fact, this game is still SO FREAKING AWESOME!!!! I give 10 in order to compense the other sensless users bombing reviews, and it's really sad because look more like an outburst of frustration than an honest review and these are the same people who tells that this game lacks of content!!! Are you kidding me?? Guys trust me, i played all FromSoftware games. I missing only bloodborne cause i am a PC gamer and if you like the Dark Souls Saga and also to be more generic if you like Fantasy/Dark Fantasy, you need this game!! You cannot image the quantities of stuff to do in this game and how huge it is!! The open world its at least more than double of how much i expected to be. Can be compared to Zelda BOTW or to The Witcher 3(plus with an huge vertical extension). The start could seems a little bit quite, but after few hours of gaming Elden Ring start to have great Rhythm. There are so many different paths to take and things to do. You never get bored and some of the places are really astonishing and everything with the dark souls style(i see also a lot of LOTR, Berserk and of course GOT vibes in the game but not just a copy rather a new marvelous masterpiece)! This game is Epic in every single aspect: gameplay, art style, level design, lore and in my opinion the author has just outdone himself with this fantasy MASTERPIECE! Its true has some little defect but i think they will solve it soon so just give it a change! This is the game we was waiting. Thanks again Miyazaki. i love you and i hate you, just as always!
  43. Feb 26, 2022
    Please play the game before writing a review.

Best souls game by far. Fromsoft exceeded my expectations
  44. Feb 26, 2022
    lags and freezes lags and freezes lags and freezes lags and freezes lags and freezes
  45. Feb 26, 2022
    95% reviews for a game, that does:
    - not support 21:9 in 2022 (LOL)
    - has terrible optimization
    - doesnt even automatically change key promts from controller to keyboard when you play on PC (are devs this lazy?)

Game itself looks pretty dated - visuals are mediocre, AI is horrible, animations looks like from 2010.

I miss times when reviews actually were objective.
  46. Feb 26, 2022
    Console port with no effort or care taken. 60fps lock bad. No Ultrawide support. No Vsync disable option. No 144hz support. Also bad performance and stutter and poor controller support. Shameful!!!
  47. Feb 26, 2022
    Elden Ring is in my opinion a 9/10 game if everything works as expected.
    But the game is extremely poorly optimized on PC, its not even funny anymore. Its a Souls Game and you have to deal with constant frame drops. Unacceptable. Which makes me rate the game 6/10.
    Thats not all. -1 for: If we look at the history, FromSoftware games are well known for terrible PC ports, the company
    Elden Ring is in my opinion a 9/10 game if everything works as expected.
    Thats not all.
    -1 for: If we look at the history, FromSoftware games are well known for terrible PC ports, the company doesnt learn from its mistakes.
    -1 for: Devs/publishers knew very well about problems but still decided to ship it in such state.

Final rating 4/10

Paid medias giving this 10/10 is a joke and I pity people who take their opinions seriously.
  48. Feb 27, 2022
    A performance embarrassment. the game is full of bugs, graphically, not artistically, it is a mediocre game. Incomprehensible the notes that are being given
  49. Feb 26, 2022
    Massive stuttering issues and NO ULTRAWIDE SUPPORT. Those are deals breakers for me.
  50. Feb 26, 2022
    Just simply not a very good game. Little to no story. Most content is missable and untracked. Very outdated and disappointing on accessibility. Unimpressive visual and audio design. Sluggish combat. No climbing. Janky horse. Poor optimization and performance despite very minimal technical ambition. Lots of lazy corners cut, like the slideshow opening.
  51. Feb 26, 2022
    Outdated graphics, very bad optimization on both PS5 and PC (yes i have both versions), PS5 runs a bit better, but still not perfect. Huge random frame-drops, camera goes into slow-motion randomly, open world feels dead, boss fights are not fun and you hardly get any meaningful rewards after the fights. Overall this game seems to be another victim of overhype and critics didn't help eitherOutdated graphics, very bad optimization on both PS5 and PC (yes i have both versions), PS5 runs a bit better, but still not perfect. Huge random frame-drops, camera goes into slow-motion randomly, open world feels dead, boss fights are not fun and you hardly get any meaningful rewards after the fights. Overall this game seems to be another victim of overhype and critics didn't help either with their 95/97 scores that would indicate that this game is close to perfection, sad reality is that it actually feels like indie project. Expand
  52. Feb 26, 2022
    "Ubisoft needs to innovate", but when it's "Souls" game, then "Innovation is overrated, it's okay that it has worst controls of all time, it's okay it has 2014 graphics, it's okay that...". Finest hypocrisy i have ever seen. I agree, Far Cry 6 is extremely outdated, but so is Elden Ring. Same animations, worse controls than any Ubisoft game. If Fromsoft doesn't innovate and gets 97 on"Ubisoft needs to innovate", but when it's "Souls" game, then "Innovation is overrated, it's okay that it has worst controls of all time, it's okay it has 2014 graphics, it's okay that...". Finest hypocrisy i have ever seen. I agree, Far Cry 6 is extremely outdated, but so is Elden Ring. Same animations, worse controls than any Ubisoft game. If Fromsoft doesn't innovate and gets 97 on Metacritic, why do you think Ubisoft would even care to innovate at this point? Even if they try, these Hypocrites still sht on them and praise this unfinished trash (Elden Ring) as next generation of open world games. Gaming is dying and believe it or not, it's not thanks to Ubisoft. It's dying thanks to games like Elden Ring and Cyberpunk 2077. Both overhyped, both underdelivered. Expand
  53. Feb 26, 2022
    The PC version is just terrible. Unoptimized with gigantic stutters, capped at 60fps. Shortcuts that don't make sense (I love the shortcut for accessing the map is G!), ancient UI, unintuitive in every sense. Boss fights are currently impossible as the stutters prevent you from blocking at the right moment. An underwhelming slideshow intro. Outdated and lazy.

I had 0 fun. Refunded
  54. Feb 26, 2022
    Overrated game
    Elden Ring is a worst copy of Dark Souls. Worst optimisation, worst graphic, broken game-design.
    Totally faked 95/100
  55. Feb 26, 2022
    I don't understand why this game gets a 10 out of 10 from the media. The PC version is in a disastrous state. Obviously, Fromsoft is aware of the state of the game and that hasn't stopped them from releasing it anyway.

I see the potential and really tried to give the game a chance. However, it is impossible for the game to be fun in its current state. I also don't understand why

I also don't understand why everyone is defending the game. Fact is: The game is pretty broken at the moment.

Anyone who claims it runs smoothly, I would like to see a video with the frame times displayed. Preferably a video of the fight against the Tree Sentinel.

So rather wait for a patch or buy it for the console. The performance should be better there.
  56. Feb 27, 2022
    Nobody should never take game reviews seriously after this. The Evil Within (2014), amazing game, had some technical issues that were patched very fast (few days) got very low scores, PC got only 68 i think. Days Gone (2019), not perfect, still very fun open world zombie game, got score 70, Elden Ring (2022) - outdated, boring and empty, gets score 95/97 ....
  57. Feb 27, 2022
    No ultra-wide support, stuttering/performance problems, no Sony controller support, wrong button display in-game
  58. Feb 27, 2022
    2022, no ultrawide, and a 60fps cap, not to mention the stuttering. Cant believe they think this is ok to release.
  59. Feb 26, 2022
    Graphics from 2013 year. Cant play with lags, freeze, black screen. I wait it game 2 year...and?
  60. Feb 26, 2022
    As many others pointed out, the game is overflowing with little problems and performance issues due the lack of polishing of the game. This game could use a few more months for better optimization.
    Gameplay wise, the combat is what you would expect, exploration was a let down, as the critics led me to believe there would be more interesting stuff around the map, not just week monsters and lame rewards.
    The graphics are good, but could be better. I know it never was a priority for the studio, but its ridiculous to think this is an current gen AAA game .
    Now what really turned me down was the story, or lack of... They talked so much about George R. R. Martin world building that at least a nice plot would be expect, but nah, none whatsoever.
    It can be fun, but is not worth the money right now.
    Buy with a great discount.
  61. Feb 26, 2022
    A great game, but has to be a zero due to the stutters and performance issues making PC port crap. Look at the DF video for more deets.
  62. Feb 26, 2022
    I remember calling out the graphics as PS3 on steam and my post was removed in 5 minutes, because apparently it was "bait". No it wasn't bait. I was completely honest. Why does Rockstar have to "innovate" and come out with "ground breaking world design" to get that 97, when some other studio can come out with 2011 graphics, worst control scheme of modern era of video games, flat texturesI remember calling out the graphics as PS3 on steam and my post was removed in 5 minutes, because apparently it was "bait". No it wasn't bait. I was completely honest. Why does Rockstar have to "innovate" and come out with "ground breaking world design" to get that 97, when some other studio can come out with 2011 graphics, worst control scheme of modern era of video games, flat textures and pretty much empty open world and get 95? I was dying to get the horse, because moving around was so slow and boring. But when i finally got the horse, it didn't help much, world was still boring. Overall i just feel bad for other video game companies (i really do), because I'm pretty sure Rockstar is making something incredible with GTA 6, but what the point even, when some other studio puts hardly any work into their games? Elden Ring fans calling innovation overrated, while whining about other companies for not innovating is most hypocritical thing i have ever seen. Expand
  63. Feb 26, 2022
    Am big souls games fan & am telling you don't buy the pc version until that fix it & yes it is that bad low fps , Stuttering & so much lag that make the combat feels clucky & unresponsive in a game that known for its great combat animation.just wait till they patch it.
  64. Feb 26, 2022
    What can i say, the game is literally broken and wont launch...atleast i could play cyberpunk 2077 at launch...
  65. Feb 27, 2022
    Bad port, no ultrawide suppport, 60fps lock. 2013 Graphics. Poorly done without any effort.

I feel like most people rate this as a "soulslike game" and not a "game". Is is an "ok on PC" soulslike? Yes it is. Is it a good game? No it is not. Its boring, graphics are several years old, voiceacting is bad, story is bad. Combat is as wooden as my cooking spoon. This game is just another soulslike non-revolutionary stuff with 2013 graphics.
  66. Feb 26, 2022
    it is fun game.
    but this is not open world. it is just open field.
    and frame drop is disaster
  67. Feb 27, 2022
    Hello. Casino is on Fromsoftware side. They got zero. Thanks to no Ultrawide support and infinite stutters
  68. Feb 27, 2022
    freeze, lag, known issues, bad port, still released. nothing ever changes
  69. Feb 26, 2022
    What can I say? A PS3/xbox360 graphics. I definitely don’t recommend this game. The gameplay is awkward and repetitive, not satisfied playing it. The world is totally empty, not vast and rich as some reviewers are saying, everything looks flat and same all the time. The graphics could be better, physics and animations are very poor, considering the recent high quality games, NPC’sWhat can I say? A PS3/xbox360 graphics. I definitely don’t recommend this game. The gameplay is awkward and repetitive, not satisfied playing it. The world is totally empty, not vast and rich as some reviewers are saying, everything looks flat and same all the time. The graphics could be better, physics and animations are very poor, considering the recent high quality games, NPC’s animations during conversations not exist. It is a joke! Sound FX are below average and repetitive. As Link the character can’t speak, combat is not responsive, story is too weak. Really a LAZY job. So it is a disappointment and totally below the expectations of the new gen games. Expand
  70. Feb 26, 2022
    Poor port, terribly optimized, fps locked and lack of ultrawide like we're back in the nineties.
  71. Feb 26, 2022
    The developers have intentionally disabled the 21:9 / ultrawide support.
    If you want to bypass it with a hex fix, you have to play offline, otherwise the anti-cheat software kicks in.

It's 2022, this is a 60€ full price AAA game. It's really an unbelievable cheek!

Also, even with the most modern hardware, there are frame drops and a 60FPS lock.

Simply unbelievable!
  72. Feb 27, 2022
    Overrated.
    Graphics are outdated. not even ultrawide support no vsync disable option no 165hz support. Totally faked score.
  73. Feb 27, 2022
    I don't know how these people like this game but it's total health issue game. It feels like my eyes bleeding. Same company did similar games in the past but somehow this company have fans and continue of making games. Probably these gamers have no idea how these games are eating and melting their brains out of their skulls.
    Warning: There is many new troll accounts created to give point
    Warning: There is many new troll accounts created to give point 10. Just check their accounts and you will see only game scored is Elden Ring!
  74. Mar 2, 2022
    Even though Elden Ring is a great game, It didn't managed to meet our expectations.
  75. Apr 30, 2022
    I love the souls genre but this game does very little to innovate on it. Most of the enemy moves are recycled old material (but it's not really the issue), same comes with most spell animations.

Cool new thing you can use the spirit bottle thing to offer momentary distraction, but most of the time that's all they can do. The biggest issue I have with this game that it's crashed in

The biggest issue I have with this game that it's crashed in just yesterday more times than Cyberpunk did for me during 200 hours of playing it (on PC).

I don't get how people like TheActMan can blindly praise game like this and then act like Cyberpunk was so unstable it took only 5 minutes before game crashed. And it wouldn't be that bad if the app just crashed, but it jams my entire computer and I lose everything I had running on background.

But hey, apparently everyone decided that ELDEN RING is awesome and there's nothing terrible in it, after all it's a game where they didn't deliver more than they promised.

Without crashing it would be a solid 7.5 buy in sale. The problem is also with community who blindly accepts everything as long they own previous title. I went to mention about the problems in open world game like this. Everything is isolated from one another outside of 2-3 pieces of collectibles to open an elevator or a door.

But don't get me wrong, this game would be awesome 10/10 game to anyone who really-really digs into the game and it's environments and has done all throughout study of all the quests and item locations, because god damn, you're not just accidentally going to find that Lightning Spear spell in this gigantic open world, which I might add is quite crucial to Faith build.

I also didn't enjoy travelling to the one Nexus location to do pretty much everything, especially when that nexus location had to always be located in the bottom of the map. There are some great ideas but some are just poorly thought out. And then there's the 10 different crafting items just to upgrade a single item to +10 as opposed to 2-3 items in past titles. And most of the crafting just feels like wasted potential.

I'm pretty sure ELDEN RING 2 is going to solve a lot of these issues, but like I said, without bugs 7.5, with crashes... well this score.
  76. May 21, 2022
    Elden Ring is a perfect example for the things running wrong in the gaming community in the last years. This game is by far overrated! A generic open world with problematic controls which let you die again and again because the controls cannot live up to the high standard the developers set for itself. I really cannot understand gamers which like to waste a lot of time for very lessElden Ring is a perfect example for the things running wrong in the gaming community in the last years. This game is by far overrated! A generic open world with problematic controls which let you die again and again because the controls cannot live up to the high standard the developers set for itself. I really cannot understand gamers which like to waste a lot of time for very less progress in a game. Are they all unemployed with no families or what?!! On the other side they blame the developers of a far more complex and more difficult to develop game like f.e. Battlefied 2042. In my eyes BF2042 is on a far higher level in technical, mechanical and controllable matters than this Elden Ring cr*p. Expand
  77. Mar 24, 2022
    It's a very empty game. If you're interested exclusively in challenging hack and slash gameplay then you may enjoy it.

If you're looking for a plot or narrative, or any sort of actual substance, you will not find it in Elden Ring. The open world feels devoid of life. You'll find yourself doing the same thing over and over again, but in different areas. You have to hunt for content outside of combat in a bad way. I just don't know what else to say, the game feels cadaverous. It's got no soul.
  78. May 20, 2022
    Video games are supposed to do two things: entertain and give fun. The Souls saga fails in both. Its a game which will keep you frustrated, because it's unfairly hard, and even after a lot of effort, when you manage to kill the bosses, there is no good sensation, just a relief from a bad sensation that the game caused itself.

I am really needing good games lately, and buying Dark Souls 3

I am really needing good games lately, and buying Dark Souls 3 and Elden ring was a big mistake.

Don't waste your money with this kind of game.
  79. May 22, 2022
    - Multiplayer: 1/10 An outrageously convoluted mess!
    Remedies, Effigies, Fingers, tongues, needing to be in the exact same place in the world to join.. Just make it like every other multiplayer game and add a button called "Join"
    - Storyline: 5/10 Average. Formulaic and derivative. Plus side has multiple endings. - Gameplay: 2/10 Poor. As of May 22, 2022 on Steam, only
    - Multiplayer: 1/10 An outrageously convoluted mess!
    - Storyline: 5/10 Average.
    Formulaic and derivative. Plus side has multiple endings.
    - Gameplay: 2/10 Poor.
    As of May 22, 2022 on Steam, only 17.2% of players have beaten Elden Ring. This tells you the vast majority of players lose interest before finishing the game.
  80. May 23, 2022
    Conceptually, Elden ring disappointed me, too much content and too little quality, the bosses are not interesting, the gameplay is boring, a huge number of bosses are used at least 2 times and a maximum of about 5 - 6, I think this is the worst game of From Software all time
  81. Mar 28, 2022
    TLDR: Open world DS3 with a few minor additions.

TLDR: Open world DS3 with a few minor additions.

Full disclosure: I have not completed Elden Ring and don't plan to for now. I bought into the hype and regret dropping full price on this game so I'm hoping my review might help those still on the fence about buying this game. I have beaten Demons Souls, Darks Souls 1-3, Bloodborne so I do have experience with prior Fromsoft games and have enjoyed them. The technical issues with the PC port have already been covered ad nauseum so I'll go over some of the other aspects of the game.

Gameplay:
    Basically the same as Dark Souls 3 with a few minor changes: 1) addition of jump button, 2) addition of mount and very basic mounted combat, 3) addition of guard cancel, 4) weapon arts are now equippable ("ashes of war" in Elden Ring). Veterans of the Souls series will feel right at home whereas the slower, calculated and methodical style of combat may take some getting used to for newcomers. Button mashing will get you killed very quickly in this game and even trash mobs can tear you apart.

What was once revolutionary and spawned the whole subgenre of "Soulslike" games has become stale, predictable, and formulaic. Most of the enemies are reskins from the prior entries and in some cases, reused assets (eg. the giant crabs). Yes, the game is punishingly difficult but much of that difficulty is artificial from things like janky camera angles, busted hitboxes that pass through walls, gank squads in tight quarters, enemy projectiles defying the laws of physics, etc. Bosses attack relentlessly and you'll find yourself dodging for what feels like an eternity for a safe opportunity to counterattack, only to deal like 2% of their health. You'll likely die to greed, trying to get some more hits in on the boss because you're so bored of doing nothing but dodging yet another unending combo.

For fans of the Souls series, this may be everything you wanted and for newcomers, this may still be fresh and exciting. For those who've played the Souls series and were hoping for some fresh gameplay, you won't find it here.

World Design:
    The biggest change in Elden Ring from the Souls series is the introduction of an open world. For many, this is a breath of fresh air and one of their favourite features of Elden Ring. The world is massive and you can easily spend hours just exploring, opening up many possibilities for non-linear progression. Unfortunately for me, once I got passed the initial beauty of the world, I found it to be mostly empty and lifeless, and I found spending hours riding around on my mount looking for things to do tedious and boring. You will encounter random enemy mobs scattered throughout but the reward for killing them wasn't worth the effort so I just started riding around them. The optional dungeons I explored felt pointless, akin to the Chalice dungeons in Bloodborne.

If you follow the recommended path through the game, you will likely be severely underleveled for the first main boss so exploration of optional content is clearly encouraged by design. Sadly, I don't find the exploration in Elden Ring to be interesting enough for the time investment required and this is the main reason why I don't plan on finishing Elden Ring, while I do plan on finishing DS3. However, many people love the aspect of exploration and discovery in Elden Ring so you may have a very different experience from me.

Story:
    Like all the prior Souls titles, the story of Elden Ring is told cryptically in fragments mainly from NPC dialogue and item descriptions. George RR Martin was involved in the writing which I never would have guessed since the lore seems to basically be a reskin of the prior Souls titles. There are 1:1 equivalents for almost everything. The Elden Ring = First flame, Tarnished = chosen undead/ashen one, Site of Grace = Bonfire, Crimson Flask = Estus flask etc. Souls games have always required multiple playthroughs to unlock all the different endings and different NPC questlines to piece together the lore. The lore is often rich and interesting but I frankly don't have the time to go through the effort and will be watching some youtube lore videos to experience the story.

Some people love this mysterious style of narrative and I enjoyed it with the prior Souls games as well. However, it really is just feeling like more of the same at this point and even the basic premise is similar to the prior games and I guess I was hoping for something fresh.

Overall:
    Elden Ring is a very good game but isn't for everyone. Fans of the Souls series who just wanted more of the same will enjoy this and newcomers who don't mind the challenge will likely get sucked in as well. However, for players like me who enjoyed the Souls games but were expecting something new, Elden Ring falls shorts. Maybe I just don't like open world games? 7/10.
  82. Mar 9, 2022
    Where can we give feedback on issue for "Quality of Life" improvements for Elden Ring on PC, the Camera issues and Target Locking problems from making the Mouse both of the analog control sticks, PLEASE this is driving a lot of us crazy with constant uncontrollable lock switching and more key binding options, like actually being able to bind Maps to M FFS!
  83. Mar 16, 2022
    Wonderful, beautiful game that struggles on all things fine tuning. A 7.9 that never quite reached an 8 for me. Love fromsoftware but while the aesthetic, bosses, and npcs of the game's world shine things like camera controls, jumping, and sprint mechanics feel clunky, you never know when you're gonna get stuck on a tiny rock divet / indestructible twig that prevents your movement and itWonderful, beautiful game that struggles on all things fine tuning. A 7.9 that never quite reached an 8 for me. Love fromsoftware but while the aesthetic, bosses, and npcs of the game's world shine things like camera controls, jumping, and sprint mechanics feel clunky, you never know when you're gonna get stuck on a tiny rock divet / indestructible twig that prevents your movement and it WILL happen / cause you to get killed. Basically, you need luck to be on your side in a game that is trying to reward skill-based patient rpg gameplay.

Things like level progression mid game, item progression, and game direction have their own clunkiness, trying to play the game without reading 5 tabs first on a second monitor will lead to boring sessions. Often you'll go through a difficult area only to find some semi-useful item within a build path completely opposite your own, and while getting through the area is satisfying in itself it ends up not feeling like it builds towards anything significant. Later in the game, these boss enemies get heavily recycled and upscaled, making the original satisfaction dim, and leaving a certain apathy toward future side areas.

As far as the good of the game, the world IS huge AND beautiful, and you will have moments where you feel extremely badass. Though the stats screen is awful and cannot show comparisons of armor / items side by side, the armor itself is varied with all kinds of cosmetic looks. Weapons/Spells/Ashes all have a range and truly give a dnd type experience where the player can get custom as hell. Without spoilers, there is an area where the player can re-assign stats for a cost, which is a much needed feature that allows all types of mid life crisis.

Ultimately (and this is speaking to my OWN experience), the bottom line was that after a certain point of exploring the beautiful map most of the time in this game just wasnt fun. I was either looking for fun in world, looking up fun online, or grinding mob filled rooms to get fun parts, all while carrying that passive fromsoftware 'die whenever wherever' game stress that does give some satisfaction to the experience. After trying a couple of different builds I found that typically there's way more fun to be had in completely overhauling a build every so often than in steadily carrying a build through the game. And that speaks to my opinion of the game. Most of the thrill is all the new things, the novelty, the possibilities, but once you've seen 50% of the enemies, explored what you want, and committed to a build path, you're in for a boring time grinding from boss to boss.
  84. Apr 2, 2022
    After 120h of pure frustration and 200 level (at least 40-50 farmed), I give this game 2/10. The game is beaten solo (offline). It sucks, and here is why:

Main Story: There isn't one, after 200h the only thing that can be understood is that there is a stupid ring (G.R.R.'s courtesy), and that is it. You finish the game and there is no ring, you become "Elden Lord", whatever that means, and that is it.

Side Quests: Not a one normal quest that I will remember. No quest tracking, no map points, nothing. I've finished the game and missed 90% of the quests. Some of them I finished following various YT videos because I needed some gear, otherwise I wouldn't finish any of them. All quests expect players to spend tens of hours figuring out where will the quest character appear and when, and since the world is huge, that is a non-sense. The whole "exhausting dialogs" approach is stupid in many ways.

Combat: Pure frustration. Dark Souls sheep that believe that dodging is a "skill", I pity them. Controlling your character feels like controlling an old dude who is lagging in every movement, and you are supposed to dodge with him in front of enemies with limitless stamina, 5+ hit combos and 5m-long weapons. Drinking potions is slow, so you need to dodge at least 5-7 times away from some enemies in order to be able to drink one potion without getting hit again. Most enemies use endless combos. It doesn't matter which level you are, if you go back to the beginning and find yourself between 2-3 enemies, you will die from couple of hits. It seems that your health is taken by percentage, almost every boss in the game will kill you in 3 hits at most. Waving with staff takes the same amount of stamina as hitting enemy with 3m hammer!

Enemies: Great design for some enemies and bosses, and that's it, everything else about enemies is frustrated. Big bosses are stupid: locked camera goes crazy, hit box is not accurate. Some normal enemies are way harder than some bosses. All enemies are way agile than your old dude. Double bosses are stupid. Double stage bosses are even more stupid. Some bosses have enemies before it, each time you have to deal with them before entering boss area, because if you don't, you will get hit from back, or your summons will fight the enemies behind the barrier instead of boss.

Difficulty: Nothing to say here, everybody knows it is kind of stupid difficulty that has nothing to do with the skills. I can only say that leveling up your character and coming back later is not fun at all. It makes you skip the content, the whole areas, the whole quests, and forgetting about them. Losing runes on death is just frustrating, it doesn't make the game any more difficult, it makes it longer because you will try to farm runes instead of playing the game.

Open world: The design of the world is great, with wonderful scenes. The world is describing you its atmosphere graphically, whereas the music is not following that atmosphere at all. However, like many games, this one is also using open world to extend game's length in a lazy way. A lot of places have nothing, you are just traveling vast spaces without finding anything.

Animations: Slow combat movement/drinking potion/opening doors/getting up when knocked down/bow attack, ...

Controls: They chose the biggest idiot to make this port to PC. Never seen more stupid key bindings in any game, ever. How dafuq I am going to use E+ARROW KEY in the middle of a fight?! And don't tell me: "You have to use joystick, bla, bla, ...". If you are charging for PC game same as PS/XBOX, you should invest some time in adjusting it for PC. Have they just assigned random keys?! Then there is constant shuffling between spells, potions, weapons, ... Try doing that in front of boss that takes 90% of your health with one hit. I've died countless times because I shuffled wrong item. There is no consistency at all: sometimes you can use ESC to close something, something you must, sometimes you can't. Space for running instead of SHIFT like in every game?! G for map, why not M?! F for jump?!

UI: Stupid Dark Souls recycled UI. It seems they copied everything they can from there. In a game where you die hundreds of times, you should be more creative with death message/animation, but they went with the lame "YOU DIED" for 100th time. Inventory management is painful. No pause! When you want to exit you are forced to see 2 logo animations again. Click "any" key to continue (except enter and space).

Sound/music: I think there is one track throughout the whole game, and second one when somebody attacks you. And they both suck.

I wouldn't recommend this game to anybody. This game feels like doing chores and not playing.
  85. Mar 5, 2022
    I certainly didn't expect this...

Veteran Dark Souls player here and a longtime fan of Fromsoft games. I thought that I was going to love this game and that it would occupy my time for many months. I was wrong. The joys of traversing and exploring the open world get old very fast. I was bored of it after only a few days. It takes forever to accomplish anything. Essential items are
    I certainly didn't expect this...

The joys of traversing and exploring the open world get old very fast. I was bored of it after only a few days. It takes forever to accomplish anything. Essential items are scattered across this massive map and it's such a slog to travel around and collect everything. I really miss the linear level design of Dark Souls. And for what it's worth, I loved Breath of the Wild and Assassin's Creed Valhalla. I am not a stranger to open world games but an open world version of Dark Souls just didn't do it for me.

I made it to quite late in the game. I was only a couple hours of gameplay away from the final boss battle. Eventually it just hit me like a train and I told myself that I don't want to do this anymore. I just don't. This game just didn't click with me and I would much rather play Dark Souls 3 over Elden Ring.
  86. Mar 6, 2022
    Not a terrible game, but has a lot of issues.

The PC port is one of the worst of all time. There is no proper keyboard and mouse support, there are random locked keybindings for menu navigation. All the prompts are using controller buttons. A lot of people report stuttering and crashes. The game looks at least 5 years dated if not 10 years. Poor animations as if I'm playing "Risen"
    Not a terrible game, but has a lot of issues.

The game looks at least 5 years dated if not 10 years. Poor animations as if I'm playing "Risen" or something. And the performance is similarly not in line with its looks. Comparing it to the recent Sony ports for example is like night and day. Games like HZD or God of War really showcases how little effort Elden Ring devs put in towards making the game look good and run well on PC.

The open world aspect of the game suffers from issues that plague most open world games. There's a lot to explore and a lot of stuff to find but most of it is meaningless filler. 90% of the loot you find does not feel rewarding for the time and effort you invest into finding it.

The story and narrative is a mess. It's as if someone wrote a book and then put all the pages through a randomizer. There's some kind of a story, but it's basically intentionally vague and confusing so that you wouldn't even bother trying to understand it and would simply go and fight monsters.

And as for the fighting - enemy AI is dumber than dirt, as if often the case with fantasy games. When it comes to creating non-human enemies, developers default to "they see you and they will chase you" coding. That's all there is. No tactics, no nothing.

Bosses are fun to fight, but at the end of the day, they all boil down to the exact same thing. You learn their limited move set and then you can beat them to death with a club while being butt naked and not even taking a single point of damage. There are no crazy tactics and cool strategies to beat bosses.

You can pretty much run through the whole game naked and weaponless if you could memorize every boss mechanic.

Personally, I find that it takes out a lot of incentive to explore and try to improve your character, because even with good gear, a lot of the bosses still have moves that decimate you. So no matter what, you still kinda have to learn how to beat them. So more gear and xp just makes enemies faster to kill. Which is different from a lot of other games where you kinda have to level and gear up because the enemies are literally not possible to beat otherwise.

The developers also clearly ran out of ideas a quarter of the way through the game. As whole areas and boss fights end up being copy-pasted and refurbished. The scenery might change a little, the enemies might be differently coloured, but they're same as before.

This again isn't new to most open world games, but it does add more evidence to why Elden Ring doesn't really do much anything that's "next gen" or creative.

All in all, I would recommend most people to check out the game, if only to be aware of what's one of the most hyped up games of all time. But get ready to refund the game, because odds are, you will not be particularly impressed by it. If the game even runs on your PC at all.

I got my copy refunded on Steam without issue, so do make use of their generous refund policy to demo out the game.
  87. Mar 19, 2022
    I honestly don't understand why people are writing raving reviews for this game.

Let's start with the good before we move on to the bad and the horrendous that is "Elden Ring" - Gorgeous (bosses, world, art, etc.) - Huge - Mounted Combat (Casting is way better than the sword play though) - The game plays well - Lots of armors and weapons, that are cosmetically cool - Sound

- Gorgeous (bosses, world, art, etc.)
    - Huge
    - Mounted Combat (Casting is way better than the sword play though)
    - The game plays well
    - Lots of armors and weapons, that are cosmetically cool
    - Sound design is really good

Now the bad

- Hyper aggressive Mobs that 2-3 shot you
    - Bend Curve for Stat Effectiveness but a Doubling Curve for monster health and difficulty, making end game extremely tedious and repetitive. Your char will shine midgame, but after that your increase in damage and survivability flatlines, while monster health triples.
    - Repetitive
    - Many, Many places, dungeons, etc. in the world are reused.
    - Depth of Field is confusing, the camera doesn't really have optimal rotation, you will often plunge to your death, and after you have you have to backtrack to your corpse, and hope that this time around you don't miss the jump, and if you do, lose all your runes... I mean... uff exhausting
    - The platforming and death from falling is absolutely horrendous.
    - Backtracking
    - The Combat just sucks, I'm sorry. It's fun in the first halve of the game, but when fights start to drag out to 5 minutes per normal mob up to 10-15 sometimes 20 minute boss fights that you have to restart if you make a few bad dodges, it just get's tedious. Not to mention you'll be using the same spells/combat arts most of the time, so it get's extremely tedious and repetitive.
    - Best way to play a lot of the game is just by running past and skipping everything.
    - Most spells suck.
    - Questlines are confusing at best, there's nothing to guide you to understand what the game expects of you, and sometimes if you missed a part of the quest and progressed too far, the quest dies.
    - Bugs.
    - Balance is ****

This game is overhyped, and the user score reflects that.
    I would honestly stop trusting any critic reviews, they have no idea what they are talking about, and are most likely hyping the game for a paycheck

I would avoid this game for a few more months, if not year, and grab it on a sale. It has some esthetic, and you'll get some fun out of it, and it will at points frustrate the **** out of you with poor gameplay design.

I guess fun if you are a sadomasochist.
  88. Mar 8, 2022
    Crap on PC - deleted after 50 hours.
    I cant deal with PC ports and this is one of them. Cant change mouse speed or key bindings. Aiming in game is clunky as f.
  89. Mar 1, 2022
    So much vasted potencial. This game is just for a few gamers with unlimited time and inclination to masochism.
    No pause, you cant crouch when opening chest and maaaany other bugs from 90ties.
  90. Apr 17, 2022
    Maybe I'll give it another chance in two or three years.
    Maybe I'll give it another chance in two or three years.
    The game wasn't ready to land on PC and, as far as I can tell, not even on consoles. From a gameplay point of view it adds little and gets boring after a few hours. From a technical point of view it is poorly optimised despite being far from being at the top compared to the potential that PC gaming offers today. The publisher has invested more in marketing than in development resources, creating the usual mass of toxic baby fanboys.
  91. Mar 29, 2022
    Punishing, brutal, satisfying. There is a new adventure around every corner of an extremely large world.
  92. Mar 27, 2022
    Early game: 6 out of 10
    Mid game: 10 out of 10
    Late game: 2 out of 10 Overall fun but scales horribly. Plus you need a guide for everything, typical from soft.
  93. Apr 1, 2022
    This is one of the glitchier games i've played in a while, worse than my experience with Cyberpunk, Halo Infinite or the newer Call of Duty games. It's not enough to make it unplayable by any means, but random graphic glitches, enemies sometimes being invisible at first, stuttery visuals when moving.

I'm using an RTX 3080 graphics card too and only on High settings because on Maximum settings its much more stuttery. I shouldn't have any issues with one of the best modern graphics cards on the market, especially when this game isn't pushing the envelope on graphics. Running Cyberpunk on Ultra with RTX is a smoother experience than Elden Ring on High settings. I can't imagine how rough it is for people with mediocre specs. PC feels very much like an after thought. Weird controls by default, weird feeling mouse movement, doesn't auto-detect keyboard so you have to dig for the setting to change the button prompts.

The world feels fleshed out with solid lore and mechanics. You can tell they put a lot of passion into it within 10 minutes of playing. After several bosses you're hooked into the story and mechanics of improving your build. It's addicting and the downsides of the PC release don't ruin that, but it definitely burns a little bit.

I've played minimal amounts of DS3 and Bloodbourne, only several bosses each, so this is the farthest i've ever gotten in a FromSoftware game with about 10 hours of play time and level 70-ish. I'm not one to play bosses over and over again so I picked mage, found some OP gear, beat some bosses and then did some rune farming - its essentially a built-in easy mode. The game is still challenging but it gives me a way to progress without getting frustrated.

This also feels like one of the largest open worlds i've ever played. As I said i'm 10 hours in, I don't think i've explored even 5% of what this game has to offer.
  94. Mar 20, 2022
    Played for 85 hours - never gets easier and story is so convoluted - not very enjoable. But a beautiful open-world if you like action / console-like games.
  95. Apr 14, 2022
    Severely disappointing. Bad main bosses (perhaps even worse than DS2), botched endgame, tons of recycled content that makes this game feel like Assassin's Creed. At least the open world was really fun to explore until mountaintops
  96. Feb 27, 2022
    I wont go into the obvious PC issues that have already been mentioned numerous times. I'm sure most of these will be patched eventually.

If you like Dark Souls games, which I do enjoy, then Elden Ring is like Dark Souls on steroids.. It borrows soo much from the Dark Souls series, I'm thinking they should of named it Dark Souls IV. That's where my issue with the game comes in. I do like the Dark Souls series, however with George R.R. Martin writing for this game, I was expecting a story rich adventure, in the world of a new franchise. Elden Ring does not feel like that new franchise offering a new experience which I had high hopes for. It's an ok game, but doesn't offer anything original.

If you want to play Dark Souls 4 then you'll love Elden Ring. If you are expecting an original experience to immerse yourself in the writings of George R.R. Martin. Then I recommend passing on this game, or wait for a sale.
  97. May 16, 2022
    If you see a 10/10 they are definitely Fromsoft fanboys. This game is NOWHERE near 10/10, especially the PC version.

The single player game is a 6 to 7/10 max and even that is generous. The constant crashing, the lower quality graphics(for 2022 the graphics should be a lot better than this), the need to google EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING in the game, and the reused assets(you will

The single player game is a 6 to 7/10 max and even that is generous.

The constant crashing, the lower quality graphics(for 2022 the graphics should be a lot better than this), the need to google EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING in the game, and the reused assets(you will fight the same boss over and over again after mid-game) is why I cannot give this higher than a 7.

I am not a graphics nerd. I don't need it to be life like for me to enjoy it(heck I still go back and play Atari games sometimes), but the graphics, while good, are no where near the quality of even God of War which came out over 4 years ago. Look no further that the fact that this released(and still as of this date) with no widescreen mode. If you have a nice curved 3440 monitor than this game will only serve to piss you off with the HUGE black bars on the sides.

It has a bad problem with crashing constantly. It seems to happen the most when I use the map. No fix yet as of writing this.

The need of a google search bar integrated into this game is a huge fault. I don't need my hand to be held with my games, but when I can't understand what something does and there is NO repository for it in the game, then there is a huge problem. There is ZERO quest tracking, not nearly enough info on what things do, the amount they do and the time in which they do said thing and no journal to look at to remember what's been said/done. This adds nothing to the game and in fact detracts from it to the point that it makes the Devs look extremely lazy, to not add even the most basic of info on things, or they did it to pad the games play time.

The reuse of assets gets really bad after midgame, the same boss you fought earlier WILL make an appearance, it's not if they will, it's when.

The multiplayer is straight garbage and is why I gave a 5/10 instead of a 7.

The multiplayer, Hooo boy, where to begin...
    First, this is NOT a co-op game. It's a PvP game with co-op elements. You don't get to just hop in with a friend, Oh no, you have to furl a finger and wave some mist around first, and if your friend has beaten the boss of the area it's a no go, you can't join them. Also be prepared to get invaded by a guy who is maxed out on everything and is in new game + #16 with OP weapons and skills and 1 shots you, or someone lag switching and warping everywhere so your hits don't land but when they hit it's always a crit or backstab, or a straight up cheater who will invade just to corrupt your save so you have to start ALL over again. Sounds fun huh?

Wanna play with just your friend and run around and have fun? Too bad! This is FROMSOFT BEEEE-OUCH! If I would have known how bad the horrible "co-op" mode is I would not have purchased the game.

So no, this is FAR from GOTY and any 10/10 score. Take off the Fromsoft rose colored glasses and get a reality check if you think it is.

Even with all this the single player mode is still pretty enjoyable, but these problems are, for some reason, completely overlooked because it's a "Fromsoft/Souls like" game by all these 10/10er's. Do you think they would overlook all this for anyone else? I seriously doubt it.

I have an un-furled finger for you Fromsoft, wanna guess which one?
  98. Mar 23, 2022
    Elden Ring was a real disappointment. It is advertised everywhere with 100/100 scores. Nowadays, everyone is playing it, everyone is praising it, and the praises won't even end on every YouTube channels and game review site. I bought it because it was called as "Skyrim + Breath of the Wild" many times. But the result is just frustration.
    It is obvious that it was made without thinking
    It is obvious that it was made without thinking about the PC. It was designed exclusively with the PS4/PS5 in mind. Gameplay mechanics and combat dynamics did not go beyond the Demon's Souls game I played in 2009. There is no such thing as "Online Co-op". Putting this game under the tag "Online Co-op" is just scam.
    But hey, "who pays money gets the hype marketing".
    Yahtzee actually gave the best review: "it's a FromSoftware Dark Souls game, and therefore, good."
    It is just another Dark Souls game, nothing more.
  99. Mar 1, 2022
    If you look past all the bogus reviews that are complaining about things that will most likely be fixed on a later patch; no ultrawide, frame cap, low frames in certain times. You will easily be addicted to this game.
    I'm not a previous souls player and absolutely love this game. I cant stop playing it and getting better items to take on harder foes. I will say i was a huge Breath of the Wild and Witcher fan, and this one is the Grand daddy of them all. A game where progression in single player is actually a thing. Boss fights are so well thought up its quite impressive. This is the perfect game for me post 17 years of raiding in WoW. I cant recommend this enough. Just buy it.
  100. Mar 3, 2022
    From Software once again demonstrate why they are so beloved by the fans. They know what they are doing when making a particular kind of game, and they have perfectly adapted everything they learnt from Dark Souls, Bloodborne and Sekiro to make an extremely engaging and breathtaking open world.

Unfortunately the game is held back by its technical limitations. I think there would be a lot less complaints about the graphics if the performance was good, but it isn't. The pc performance ranges from acceptable to poor. A vast majority of the time you won't notice the problems, but when you do, boy is it bad.

Overall, it is a fantastic game and a definite must buy if you are a fan of From Software or open world games

Universal acclaim - based on 59 Critic Reviews

1. Apr 28, 2022
    Elden Ring is massive, sometimes to its detriment. A thorough walkthrough might take up more than 100 hours to complete, and at some point it becomes clear that From Software did not have enough manpower to produce that much unique content. Still, it remains incredibly addictive even after those 100 hours pass…
  2. Apr 14, 2022
    It’s hard to review Elden Ring without being comparative; that’s because Elden Ring is an evolutionary step, not a revolutionary one, and one can’t help but see how it’s built on what came before. Here is a massive undertaking of a game, not for the sake of chasing trends but as the natural progression of the style the company has been fostering for over a decade. It’s amazing how smoothly the transition to open world was and how much of the Souls identity is still present. In the short time since its release, it has already left a cultural mark, no doubt a result of the game’s increased approachability. Even after sifting past all the hype and grandiosity, there’s still an excellent game left and Elden Ring is a clear showcase of FromSoftware’s outstanding expertise in the field. Elden Ring really is just that good.
  3. Apr 13, 2022
    FromSoftware has opened up metaphorically and its bet has paid off. Elden Ring is a solid contender for Game of the Year 2022 despite any technical issues it may have.