8.7

Review this album

1. Feb 20, 2015
    For me, while a "A Ghost is Born" is an average to decent album, ultimately its disappointing and is my least favourite Wilco record. There are some good moments and some great moments but far too often the person in charge of editing has left the room and the band are allowed to flog songs the way you would a dead horse. Too many tracks are 20 to 30 percent longer than they ever need toFor me, while a "A Ghost is Born" is an average to decent album, ultimately its disappointing and is my least favourite Wilco record. There are some good moments and some great moments but far too often the person in charge of editing has left the room and the band are allowed to flog songs the way you would a dead horse. Too many tracks are 20 to 30 percent longer than they ever need to be. "At Least That's What You Said" and "Hell Is Chrome" start the album well, but the rest of the album is uninspiring and often self indulgent. You could listen to worse records but you could definitely listen to better Wilco records. Expand
  2. Oct 12, 2014
    How is a ghost born? Someone dies, of course. This is the outlook of this album, taking terrible things that happen in life and making them resolve hopefully, all these thoughts swirling around a character on the border of madness.
  3. j30
    Sep 22, 2011
    Decent follow up to Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. There's moment of musical bliss, but than there moments of over-indulgent noise that detracts from it's high points.
  4. Aug 6, 2011
    My second favorite Wilco record, right behind Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. Jeff Tweedy never ceases to amaze me. Great **** record filled with classic songs. There is definitely that "noise" from YHF and it's wonderful. "Wishful Thinking".. goddamn.
  5. Jun 4, 2011
    It definitely doesn't hold a candle to YHF, there's some great moments but it lacks consistency.

1. This time, as well as simply delivering the goods, Wilco come bearing a basket of extras.
  2. Unlike the first three Wilco albums and even more than Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, A Ghost is Born requires careful listening.
  3. Ghost is not a lot of fun. Still, it's an accomplishment, because it's an angry album.