American Idiot

• Release Date: Sep 21, 2004
8.8

Review this album

1. May 27, 2016
    American Idiot is a masterpiece of the 21st century, it has its catchy-powerful songs that makes everyone jump and sing with Billie Joe Armstrong and bandmates; this is what Green Day needed during the last years. The story sequel was just AMAZING, following the story of St. Jimmy is as exciting as the first time you've heard the band and fell in love with them. It's even one of theAmerican Idiot is a masterpiece of the 21st century, it has its catchy-powerful songs that makes everyone jump and sing with Billie Joe Armstrong and bandmates; this is what Green Day needed during the last years. The story sequel was just AMAZING, following the story of St. Jimmy is as exciting as the first time you've heard the band and fell in love with them. It's even one of the greatest albums of all time!

Amazing songs: "American Idiot" "Jesus of Suburbia" "Holiday" "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" "Letterbomb" "Wake Me Up When September Ends" "Whatsername"
  2. May 11, 2016
    .........................................................................................................................Fantastic Album Masterpiece...................
  3. May 1, 2016
    What could we say about this brand new album? The best of the 2000's and one of the greatest albums of all time, it has everything, it is more powerful, catchier and crazier than the predecessors; a job well done; the 2nd best album released by Green Day
  4. Apr 25, 2016
    When I first listened to one of the songs like "American Idiot" and "Wake Me Up When September Ends". I was expecting this album will be great. When I ordered a vinyl of this album. I was stunned of their songs. The songs are rocking good, and also chilling. I highly recommend new Green Day fans this album.
  5. Apr 17, 2016
    No one saw this coming. Green Day makes a rock opera, and then that rock opera becomes one of the greatest of the decade. This album never lets up from the scorching prelude that is the title track, to the emotionally charged ending.
  6. Apr 4, 2016
    ................................................................................................................................................................A Masterpiece!!!!!!!!
  7. Jan 17, 2016
    um ótimo álbum, com letras incríveis, o american idiot é, sem sombra de dúvidas, o melhor álbum do green day (dookiefãs não passarão). um dos melhores que já ouvi.
  8. Dec 19, 2015
    This review may be slightly biased since this album did get me into music. However, I do think this album deserves this score. Every single on the album was great and among my favorites. Even the slower songs, we which I am usually not fond of. But Green Day managed to pull off a great rock opera. Cheers to them :)
  9. Oct 29, 2015
    American Idiot, a punk rock opera centering around the Jesus of Suburbia, is probably Green Day's second best album next to Dookie. There are only a few barely noticeable problems. All in all, a good album.
  10. Oct 23, 2015
    “American Idiot” by Green Day is the best album I’ve heard in my 18 years on this earth. It starts with greatness and ends with greatness. It has songs that a BMX rider can ride to and then songs that you can listen to when you’re out for a walk. Truly shows that when Green Day took there break in 2000 after their album “Warning”, and then, 2004 released “American Idiot” which sold“American Idiot” by Green Day is the best album I’ve heard in my 18 years on this earth. It starts with greatness and ends with greatness. It has songs that a BMX rider can ride to and then songs that you can listen to when you’re out for a walk. Truly shows that when Green Day took there break in 2000 after their album “Warning”, and then, 2004 released “American Idiot” which sold 267,000 in its first weeks. And since 2004 to 2014 they have sold 6.2 million “American Idiot” albums. It shows that the break they had really paid off in the long run. Especially the next year when they won 5 awards for best album and best international album from 5 different music companies. And then won 2 awards at the Grammy’s forest rock album and record of the year for “ Boulevard of Broken Dreams”.
    What this album is really about though is about how the US Government was, back in 2001 during the Iraq War. Mr. Billie Joe Armstrong said from an interview on “Fresh Air Interviews” that, “..right after 9/11 and watching the sort of tanks going into Iraq and these embedded journalists going in live, it felt like a cross between war and reality television," and he also says, “So I just felt this great sort of confusion,...For me, I felt this moment of rage and patriotism,”. What this also means is that when the journalists were broadcasting this live to American viewers it was showing how bad Iraq was with their government. And Armstrong was trying to get his point across that if we don’t elect the right president in the 2004 elections this country could go downhill with the US Government. Hence the name “American Idiot”, a lot of Americans dont think things through and would probably elect the wrong person to be in the oval office. A song thats also in the album that really tells people is it a good idea to go to war and lose even more people is the song, “Wake Me up when September Ends”. Its saying is it a good idea to step to their level and lose people just to get pay back. Then “The Death of St. Jimmy” is is supposed to be god, but in this case its supposed to be someones child that joined the service and the mother is very worry about him. Especially when he returns home and he’s acting very differently and both paretns are concerned about him. So for a band that could look l ike a bunch of punks they know what’s going on in the country.
  11. Sep 20, 2015
    I enjoyed pretty much every song on this album with an exception which is "Are We the Waiting", that song just kinda annoys me. But overall the album is a 10
  12. Aug 26, 2015
    One of the best albums of Green Day , a concept album that reflects life in the US in the government of Bush in a very good shape. It is not limited to be politically correct and show anger and condemnation . The two most notable songs : American Idiot and Jesus of Suburbian
  13. Mar 9, 2015
    Most songs I hear in on the radio on a regular basis are about love, sex, and heartbreaks. The album American Idiot by Green Day (originally known as Sweet Children) is made up of songs inspired by acts of protest. When Green Day formed in 1986, they were known as punk band who had great fondness for marijuana. Most of their early albums were influenced by health problems and controversialMost songs I hear in on the radio on a regular basis are about love, sex, and heartbreaks. The album American Idiot by Green Day (originally known as Sweet Children) is made up of songs inspired by acts of protest. When Green Day formed in 1986, they were known as punk band who had great fondness for marijuana. Most of their early albums were influenced by health problems and controversial actions. For example, their album Dookie (released in 1994) depicts a bomb dropping on people and buildings which indicates a form of vandalism and people getting seriously hurt. Creating albums like this appear to be a way of influencing others to cause destruction. In the late 90's and early 2000's, Green Day's success started to decline due to lack of variation in their music.

In 2004, they gained their success back when they released the album American Idiot, which they took a more conscious approach to. This album consists of songs that have intentions of influencing others to express who they feel. There are many people who don't agree with the laws and boundaries that apply to them. Some individuals find unique ways of expressing their opinions (for example, some do it through song). The song “American Idiot” is about expressing how you feel and being proud of it. There is one point in the song where Billie Joel Armstrong says something like: “I may be no good in the perspectives of others, but I am proud of the person I am and I will not change that”. America claims to be a nation where everyone has the right to speak their minds. Instead of having their words taken into consideration, some people get chastised for their actions. Going against the laws are usually seen as just unforgivable crimes done by selfish individuals. There are times when people feel the need to go against these laws to receive attention the public's attention. In the song “Holiday”, the band says to “kill” those agree with their actions and words. They aren't necessarily saying they want to kill someone, but giving a message saying they won't let others give them direction and blow off those who disagree. American Idiot contains pieces that have influential lyrics with solid instrumentals behind them that give off an intense mood letting people know that they need to stay entitled to their own opinions and can't let disagreement of others refrain them from doing so. Although Green Day's choice of words in their songs are somewhat offensive, their music is powerful overall and they have every right to use it to get the public's attention.

The album American Idiot not only has pieces based on protest, but also personal struggles each member of the band went through. For example, the song “Wake Me Up When September Ends” was influenced by the death of Billie Joel Armstrong's father which occurred when Armstrong was a child. The song emphasizes losing loved ones and the pain people feel when it happens. Its title is basically a line coming from someone who is trying to cope with this pain despite the difficulties. The song sends a message saying to be careful about what you say to your loved ones because you never know when you might lose them. Armstrong was influenced to give that message when reflecting on losing his father at a young age. It is important to show the people in your life as much love as you can because you never know whether or not it's the last time you'll see them. American Idiot not only shows a great change in Green Day's music, but also a positive change who they are as people.
  14. Oct 27, 2014
    It's been 10 years since the initial release of Green Day's iconic rock-opera that arguably defined a generation of rock. The album shows far more diversity and complexity on every level than anything Green Day had done prior. That, and it's prettier political punk(ish) sound and theme put the band back into the limelight. The album features a far more political and anti-establishmentIt's been 10 years since the initial release of Green Day's iconic rock-opera that arguably defined a generation of rock. The album shows far more diversity and complexity on every level than anything Green Day had done prior. That, and it's prettier political punk(ish) sound and theme put the band back into the limelight. The album features a far more political and anti-establishment theme than anything the band had done before, but it was their least punk record. Diving into arena rock, power pop, and overall alt rock awesomeness while still sticking to the relatively simple multi power chord based sound they're known for, the album is a musical success. Who would have thought that Green Day of all bands would put out a 57min album with a coherent plot line, fleshed out characters, two 9+min tracks and do it with astonishing results. In years to come, this will be put alongside some of the greatest American albums of all time. Expand
  15. Oct 5, 2014
    This album is arguably the best album of Greenday portraying the life of a drug-abused teenage with a self-proclaim title "Jesus of the Suburbia". I just don't know what happen in the end of his journey. Even years has passed by, I am still excited when they sing the title track " American idiot "
  16. Mar 31, 2014
    This album, while it may have controversial lyrics, has a lot of soul in the tune, which is why I listen to music. It's got powerful choruses and catchy verses - and some substantial songs, I enjoy that a lot.
  17. Feb 19, 2014
    Un Disco excelente, de hecho me parece el mejor de la banda hasta ahora, lo recomiendo a cualquiera que le guste el rock, ademas cuenta una historia muy buena, muy recomendado!
  18. Feb 2, 2014
    The pinnacle of Punk-rock. Lyrically brilliant, fantastic meanings behind some of the songs, a great story behind the entire rock-opera, and unlike many albums, it's truly involving (I was looking up Jesus of suburbia and Saint Jimmy for hours last night! I even changed my steam name), and musically amazing. By far the best album out there, and it takes a lot for me to say that. Truly perfect.
  19. Jan 15, 2014
    may not even be the kings of punk rock (or post-punk, pop punk, or whatever), but left pretty and good messages in this album. A landmark in the 2000s and in the digital age, American Idiot is nothing more than a fact of American conflict, and musicality based on opera, is not bad either. Amazing how this album ages well and still current. Green Day is doing its job and very good.
  20. Jan 4, 2014
    Introduced to this album when I was six years old, I loved it, and got told off for singing the bad words in it. Nine years on, I still listen to the songs in this album. It's definitely one of Green Day's greatest albums made and stands out above their new material.
  21. Oct 4, 2013
    Amazing album that stands it test of time and still is a masterpiece almost 10 years into the future. Truly a classic. I would even go so far to compare this album to Nevermind by Nirvana or Abbey Road by The Beatles or IV by Led Zeppelin.All tracks are amazing but I would have to admit that the middle is not as good as the beginning and end but those tracks are awesome aswell! Track byAmazing album that stands it test of time and still is a masterpiece almost 10 years into the future. Truly a classic. I would even go so far to compare this album to Nevermind by Nirvana or Abbey Road by The Beatles or IV by Led Zeppelin.All tracks are amazing but I would have to admit that the middle is not as good as the beginning and end but those tracks are awesome aswell! Track by track: American Idiot 10/10 this power rocker starts up the album with a huge bang, still hears this song today on the radio or the tv. Jesus of Suburbia 10/10 this 9 minute rock-opera keeps my interest through the whole song. Holiday 10/10 Awesome! Nuff' said. Boulevard of Broken Dreams 10/10 another timeless classic that i still hear being played. Are we waiting 10/10 This 3 minute song is so epic! St.Jimmy 10/10 Fast paced fun! Here is where the album is getting a bit worse on the 4 following tracks: Give me novachine,Extraordinary Girl, Letterbomb. 9/10 but I love She is a Rebel 10/10. Wake me up when september ends 10/10 A truly beautiful song that Billie Joe wrote to his dad that passed away of cancer when Billie Joe was 10. He died in september and "Wake me up when september ends" is a reference to what BIllie Joe said on his fathers funeral. Homecoming 10/10 another awesome 9 minute
    rock-opera. Diverse and intense. Whatsername 9.5/10 awesome closer that sums up the album perfectly. Oh, did I mention that you should listen to the lyrics to truly understand the album. You see, this whole album is a story. This review turned up pretty long so I think I will end it here. You know what to do! Just listen to this already!!!
  22. Jun 15, 2013
    American Idiot is one of my favorite albums of all time. The music is great and the messages from the songs are ones I can agree with. A quick message to everyone that is mad about Green Day calling Americans "idiots": We are, now chill.
  23. Jun 2, 2013
    "American Idiot" Uma Obra Prima Dos Anos 2000.
    Com Temas Essenciais Como Politíca,Injustiça,Morte E Desemprego.
    Duas Longas E Excelentes Ópera De Rock Jesus Of Suburbia E Homecoming. As Punk Rock Essência Do GD American Idiot,Holiday,St Jimmy,She's A Rebel,Letterbomb E As Longas Jesus Of Suburbia E Homecoming E As Fundamentais Baladas De Rock Boulevard Of Broken Dreams,Are We The
    "American Idiot" Uma Obra Prima Dos Anos 2000.
    Com Temas Essenciais Como Politíca,Injustiça,Morte E Desemprego.

Duas Longas E Excelentes Ópera De Rock Jesus Of Suburbia E Homecoming.

E As Fundamentais Baladas De Rock Boulevard Of Broken Dreams,Are We The Waiting,Give Me Novacaine,Wake Me Up When Semptember Ends E Para Encerrar Com Chave De Ouro Whatsername

Top De American Idiot
    1-Boulevard Of A Broken Dreams
    2-Holiday
    3-Letterbomb
    4-Homecoming
    5-Jesus Of Suburbia
  24. Apr 19, 2013
    This is the kind of album that gets people excited about music. A beautiful blend of the personal and political, "American Idiot" excellently captures the emotional landscape of the post-9/11 U.S. Themes like media hysteria, anti-imperialism, antiwar sensibilities, lower middle class life, religious disillusionment, drug addiction, tragic love, the search for meaning, and ultimatelyThis is the kind of album that gets people excited about music. A beautiful blend of the personal and political, "American Idiot" excellently captures the emotional landscape of the post-9/11 U.S. Themes like media hysteria, anti-imperialism, antiwar sensibilities, lower middle class life, religious disillusionment, drug addiction, tragic love, the search for meaning, and ultimately learning everything the hard way, are all woven together into a story that makes up for what it lacks in clarity with surprisingly accessible gravitas. Stylistically, critics of Green Day are quick to point out their disloyalty to the tried-and-true formulas of punk's first wave, and indeed you will find this album to be anything but formulaic. This time, the trio have seen fit to experiment not only with song structure, but also modestly with instrumentation, and it has paid off. That said, if you are a fan of the boisterous pop-punk of the Ramones, the fiery idealism of the Clash, and the grandiosity of the Who, you will feel at home listening to "American Idiot". While older critics harp on the fact that Green Day had the nerve to form in the late 80's instead of 10 or 15 years earlier, the sweet children have grown up, and they have a hell of a story to tell. Come to this album with no biases or pretensions, and it might very well change your life. Expand
  25. Apr 14, 2013
    American Idiot is a cool rock opera. I usually don't like rock operas, but American Idiot is cool. The title track is epic and it is the best song of the album, along with Holiday and Boulevard of Broken Dreams. The album is consistent. Talking about the rest of the album, I ,like St. Jimmy, Wake Me Up When September Ends and Are We The Waiting. I don't like Whatshername, as it is for meAmerican Idiot is a cool rock opera. I usually don't like rock operas, but American Idiot is cool. The title track is epic and it is the best song of the album, along with Holiday and Boulevard of Broken Dreams. The album is consistent. Talking about the rest of the album, I ,like St. Jimmy, Wake Me Up When September Ends and Are We The Waiting. I don't like Whatshername, as it is for me the worst of the album. To be honest I am not a huge Green Day fan. I don't like Punk. The songs are so similar. But I was surprised. It is a good album. Expand
  26. Apr 1, 2013
    Who would have thought that snotty-nosed punksters Green Day would create one of the greatest albums of the decade? After a period of critical and commercial polarization, the trio returned with a rock opera that -despite having a ridiculous plot- went on to turn Green Day into serious rock stars. All the songs are brilliant courtesy of Billie Joe's politically charged lyrics and theWho would have thought that snotty-nosed punksters Green Day would create one of the greatest albums of the decade? After a period of critical and commercial polarization, the trio returned with a rock opera that -despite having a ridiculous plot- went on to turn Green Day into serious rock stars. All the songs are brilliant courtesy of Billie Joe's politically charged lyrics and the group's sound as a whole. A must buy for everyone. Expand
  27. Jan 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A amazing album, its got it all, from punk to softer songs that all goes together really well. There is a storyline cleverly written in to this album which can has so many meanings and everytime you listen to it you pick up on something new. One of the greatest albums of all time! Expand
  28. Jan 5, 2013
    When you think 'Rock Opera' this is the album that instantly comes to mind, and that is because it is a candidate for best album of all time. This is an album that took the world by storm in 2004 and 2005 and single handedly boosted Green Day's career to an absolute high, with singles winning awards and being tonnes of airtime, after all, everybody here has heard American Idiot, Wake Me UpWhen you think 'Rock Opera' this is the album that instantly comes to mind, and that is because it is a candidate for best album of all time. This is an album that took the world by storm in 2004 and 2005 and single handedly boosted Green Day's career to an absolute high, with singles winning awards and being tonnes of airtime, after all, everybody here has heard American Idiot, Wake Me Up When September Ends or Boulevard of Broken Dreams at least 10 times, and I highly doubt nobody is sick of ALL of those songs, let alone any of them. Overall, a wonderful album and a true masterpiece. Must buy! Expand
  29. Dec 23, 2012
    this is by far green day's best album, tunes like american idiot and boulevard of broken dreams i never get tired of listening to! this awesome album will always have a place in my itunes library!
  30. Dec 16, 2012
    This has got to be one of the greatest albums, not just in rock history, but of all music history. Definitely one of those albums you should listen to before you die.

1. It is exactly what the band needs to boost itself to the next level of pop-punk prowess.
  2. There's still plenty of spunk in to be found in this Sgt. Pepper-lite.
  3. Not only does it contain Green Day’s finest songs (and choruses) to date... but it also scratches at the surface of political dissatisfaction with nails sharp enough to leave a nasty scar.