American Idiot - Green Day
American Idiot Image

Generally favorable reviews - based on 26 Critics What's this?

User Score

Universal acclaim- based on 551 Ratings

Your Score
0 out of 10
Rate this:
  • 10
  • 9
  • 8
  • 7
  • 6
  • 5
  • 4
  • 3
  • 2
  • 1
  • 0
  • 0
  • Summary: Structured as a rock opera complete with 9-minute-plus songs and a somewhat complicated storyline, 'American Idiot' is the Berkeley punk band's first album in over four years.
Score distribution:
  1. Positive: 22 out of 26
  2. Negative: 0 out of 26
  1. 90
    It's exhilarating stuff, the kind of record that sets new parameters as to what is possible from a punk rock'n'roll band in the 21st century. [Oct 2004, p.106]
  2. An energetic, musically ambitious pop-rock record that employs its expanded vistas in the service of animating punk's well-worn thematic underpinnings.
  3. An onslaught of varied and marvellously good tunes presented in an unexpectedly inventive way. [18 Sep 2004, p.65]
  4. If the forced lyrical growth is a little stunted, it’s more than made up for by the band’s newfound sonic ambitions.
  5. Against all odds, Green Day have found a way to hit their thirties without either betraying their original spirit or falling on their faces.
  6. The observations don't always dig as deep as they're meant to, and buzzwords occasionally stand in for insights, but American Idiot finds Green Day both shaking up its formula and applying it in novel and unexpected ways.
  7. There's no economics, no race, hardly any compassion. Joe name-checks America as if his hometown of Berkeley was in the middle of it, then name-checks Jesus as if he's never met anyone who's attended church. And to lend his maunderings rock grandeur, he ties them together with devices that sunk under their own weight back when the Who invented them.

See all 26 Critic Reviews

Score distribution:
  1. Negative: 27 out of 312
  1. Dec 27, 2010
    Absolutely epic, Green Day gives us an album that deserves to be named one of the best rock albums (if not the best) of the 21'st century first decade. Hilarious rock songs, grandiose epics and power ballads make up a very interesting album in which Billie Joe amstrong shows he is an excellent songwriter, one of the finest to come out of his generation. Expand
  2. Mar 9, 2012
    One of the best albums of the 2000-2009 decade. This album was a classic and it still is. I dont listen to it as much as i did in 2004 **** still the best album since Nirvana's Nevermind Expand
  3. Mar 8, 2011
    Make sure ur sitting down when u start playing this song! other wise the sound of amazing punk rock will blow u back on your ass! Every song on this album is moving and sheer quality, no song lacks anything, when u listen to a song, you dont go, "that was pretty good, but i like _ better" every song feeds off the other. each song is different and better than the last in certain ways. i could listen to this album all the way thru 3 times in a row. Its moving, its got class, and it will make any music being played the radio right now look like complete garbage. this is what the people have been waiting for! not some autotuned garbage. This Is American Idiot! Expand
  4. Aug 31, 2012
    Great, wonderful, spectacular. It's the best Green Day album, my favourite. All 13 songs are very good, I can't find the worst. I think also Warning was very good, but American Idiot is great.
    No more words for such a masterpiece.
  5. Apr 1, 2013
    Who would have thought that snotty-nosed punksters Green Day would create one of the greatest albums of the decade? After a period of critical and commercial polarization, the trio returned with a rock opera that -despite having a ridiculous plot- went on to turn Green Day into serious rock stars. All the songs are brilliant courtesy of Billie Joe's politically charged lyrics and the group's sound as a whole. A must buy for everyone. Expand
  6. j30
    Sep 21, 2011
    One of the best albums of the past decade. Amazing creative breakthrough. These songs will be playing on classic radio stations 20 years from now. It's interesting that a stolen demo tape lead them to one of their best albums of their career. Expand
  7. Dec 29, 2010
    Its quite interesting how alot of the people who give this low scores explain absolutly no detail into their justification of that score and instead just personally insults the band or anyone that listens to it, how can you trust the opinion of a person who believes that enjoying certain types of music is correlated to inteligence? Sometimes, I think metacritic should just keep the unbiased reviewer magazine crtics and nothing more. Nothing wrong with this album. The opinion of the public can be quite distorted such as Justin Bieber, Alot of people hate him for his music and perhaps 40% of his haters hate him because the other 60% hate him and want to look cool (peer pressure). Expand

See all 312 User Reviews