8.4

Review this album

1. Jun 18, 2012
    Even the intro on the album reveals the nature of the CD . Alternative rock compositions, mixed with a variety of electronic inserts and vocal filters give the songs a special character, which sometimes takes strange forms - which is evident even after a bit psychedelic a capella song "(Interlude 1)" or "Tessallate". Each composition on the disc has something innovative to offer, so that time spent on "An Awesome Wave" goes very quickly. Expand
  2. Sep 7, 2014
    Though it may lack power, the precision, emotion and cohesion this album expresses from start to end, leaves oneself satisfied and astonished. And though it may not be a master piece, this work opens the path to what certainly is a band to keep an eye on. Original and exquisitely aesthetic.
  3. Nov 17, 2013
    Perfect combination of smart lyrics, great music, and unique sound. It opens up nicely with the Intro and "Ripe & Ruin" before taking me into deep pleasure with "Tesselate" and the quirky "Breezeblocks". The album has been out for a year now and I am nowhere near bored. "Fitzpleasure" and "Matilda" have been my latest obsession, though. This is definitely a tremendous effort for a debut album. "An Awesome Wave" is actually the only album that has been played more than 1,000 times on my media player. It's just way too addictive. Expand
  4. Sep 23, 2014
    An Awesome Wave is an awesome album. This is because it both has songs, like Breezeblocks and Fitzpleasure, that can stand alone and sound great and at the same time it is able to create a nice atmospheric blend throughout the entire album
  5. Oct 22, 2013
    This experimental mix of the genres form a sound that refuses to be classified for it jumps from one genre to the next as the album progresses.Each track jumps onto you with an entirely different feel and it gives the album some texture and keeps it interesting for the listener, because you don’t know what’s going to happen next. Alt-J is a different band from any other and so is their sound. However since they are heavily influenced by many other genres, it will sure enough crack open a special niche in your brain, just for them. The experience after listening really is rewarding and refreshing, like an awesome wave. It's not for everyone, but open up to them and you'll be pretty damn glad you did. Underneath all the convoluted composition, is a vibrant, pure personality begging to be heard. Expand
  6. Dec 8, 2012
    With Alt J, I once again appreciated U.K's taste in music. From Tessellate to Taro (Taro might be the best track of 2012) and Bloodflood, An Awesome Wave is easily the best indie album of 2012.
  7. Jun 6, 2012
    One Of a best album of this year.

Simplement agréable, on y retrouve diverses influences, la voix rappelle les Fleet Foxes, bref un album entre indie rock, pop, electronic, et hip hop, où l'on retiendra Alt-J.
  8. Jul 11, 2013
    Alt-J's An Awesome Wave captures the essence of indie music by producing a unique, universally appealing sound. The music is smart and engaging, enough so that any fan of music should give An Awesome Wave a listen.
  9. Sep 25, 2012
    No other album this year has managed to capture my attention as well as this one. It blends catchy and addictive melodies and a unique voice with a very new sound.
  10. Apr 11, 2013
    in my opinion an awesome wave is one of the best albums of 2012, beautiful vocals, love the folk influences in the albums, absolutely amazing. I seriously can't stop listening to it, 10/10
  11. Jun 20, 2012
    What can I say? One of the best, if not the best albums I've listened to this year. Complex, nerdy and catchy all at once! If Fleet Foxes were into electronic music and enjoyed geometric metaphors this is the album they'd make!
  12. khw
    Sep 20, 2012
    Simply stunning.......at first, I was hooked by only one or two songs (Tessellate & Something Good), but with each listen, I discover more depth and more to like.
  13. Jul 30, 2014
    Perfect mixture of sounds! The more I listened to this album the more I love it. This album is so amazing! If you are one of those people who just don't care, if you listen to anything different, unique, spontaneous, then Alt-J is the band for you, that´s why I LOVE IT!!!
  14. Sep 23, 2014
    An Awesome ALBUM, simply stunning.... Incredible and innovative sound, and the choirs are just perfect.
    Easily the best indie album of 2012. A Masterpiece, 10/10
  15. Aug 21, 2012
    A new band from Cambridge is pushing the limits of alternative rock to the edge. With transient beats, folksy guitars, layered vocals, and unpredictable song structures, Alt-J
  16. Dec 16, 2012
    First off, I would like to state that this album is a complete success. The lyrical talent of this band is incredible, and all of the songs have interesting meanings and almost all have "plots" of their own. From references to books, movies and common life events, this album is simply a joy to listen to. It's upbeat and quite entertaining to listen to.
  17. Jul 15, 2014
    Awesome Wave is literally the best album I have ever heard. I love the diversity of the music & the uniqueness of the vocalists' voices. I cannot get enough of this. I'm impatiently waiting for their next album...
  18. Apr 15, 2014
    From Ars Nova to Dubstep in one album. Alt-J offers a very refreshing approach to music.
    Firmly roted in european musical tradition at the same time exploring brand new territories.
    Yet "An Awesome Wave" doesn't feel weird at all, I simply can't get enough of it.
  19. Sep 11, 2014
    At times disjointed, uniquely alien, yet in retrospect beautifully harmonious, the incredible depth and breadth of An Awesome Wave peel away in layers to reveal its many shades with every listen. Truly an achievement.

1. Mar 13, 2013
    Alt-J crafts an ethereal ocean of sound that's remarkably cohesive-at once strange and familiar.
  2. This Leeds-to-Cambridge foursome's unhurried electro-mesh is always more than pleasant and half the time mildly enthralling.
  3. Nov 20, 2012
    An Awesome Wave washes over its beached listeners, pleasantly cooling them for a second, then making its retreat back into an ocean of sameness.