Bankrupt! - Phoenix
7.8

Review this album

1. Apr 23, 2013
    The vocal melodies may meander slightly here and there, but everything else is so on-point I can't help but fall in love with it all. Phoenix remains king of that indie pop-rock sound.
  2. Apr 24, 2013
    Phoenix defined their sound with Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix. Bankrupt! hardly expands on their previous work, but as long as the audience takes a conservative approach, the new record does not disappoint. The hint of Asian influence on "Entertainment" is irresistible, and "Trying To Be Cool" has the same catchy feel reflected in "Lisztomania."
  3. May 13, 2013
    Hailing from France, Phoenix have always had the job of not only creating good music, but being the taste-makers of Paris. They do this no better than in Bankrupt! Fluttering synths abound and layers to the point of indiscernable sound, Phoenix build on a sound they established WAP, but far more complex. While rarely completing a full sentence in his lyrics, like a puzzle Bankrupt!'s lyrics can be strung together to tell a tale of the lonesome feelings of making it to the top and the conflicting emotions of stardom. This album not only is as fun and catchy as any Phoenix album, but is noticeably complex lyrically as well as instrumentally. Collapse
  4. May 20, 2013
    I'm going to say what I didn't like first. There are 3 songs on this new record I don't particularly like. Ironically, the title track 'Bankrupt!,' along with Chloroform, are my least favorite. Chloroform just seems underwritten (especially the lead synth part.)

Ok, now for the good. The track "Trying to be Cool" is one of the best '2010's 80s-revival' songs I've ever come across,
    "Oblique City" is one of their most adventurous songs ever, and "Drakkar Noir" hints at their earlier attempts. Overall, I find this to be far more interesting than their record 'It's Never Been Like That' but probably won't garner the attention of 'Wolfgang Amadeus' Expand
  5. Jan 14, 2014
    Wonderful album. Definitely different than their last albums; that's one of the reasons I like it so much. If you don't go into this album expecting Wolfgang Amadeus (which seems like the only other Phoenix album many know), you'll be pleasantly surprised.

1. Oct 4, 2013
    Does anything come close to the prize-winning likes of "1901" or "Lisztomania"? No, and that can't help but feel a little disappointing.
    The songs on Bankrupt! all still feature scintillating synths, gorgeous melodies and soaring moments of transcendent skill but with more of a flair for the dynamic tense of music.
  3. May 21, 2013
    Phoenix has somehow managed to follow a universally acclaimed breakout record with one that not only avoids falling flat, but succeeds at creating and sustaining a subtly different atmosphere.