Born to Die

• Release Date: Jan 31, 2012
8.3

Review this album

1. Jun 23, 2015
    Lana sounds melodically pleasant, but lyrically speaking, the lack of diversity is the sin of the disc. Each song, except for 'Carmen', is about a single subject: men. And this subject is explored involving suffering, drinks and luxury. Not very intelligent, since we speak of a woman who fought to be an artist.
  2. Mar 11, 2015
    While she is somewhat melodramatic with her vocals and her songs seem to be on repeat, Lana Del Rey overall bursts out a successful "debut" album. She is a talented vocalist and I am hoping for more in the future.
  3. Dec 27, 2014
    Pretty amazing universe, no colloquial texts, always poetry. It's like Lana saw flowers and tell it without spelling the main word once. She uses a form nobody uses, this is it
  4. Jun 18, 2014
    The album is good in general, the music is complex and it has some beautiful songs on it. Nevertheless, the lyrics tend to be very simple and dumb and even though the violins play it good here, it lacks of maturity and cohesion.
  5. Nov 16, 2013
    After all the pre-release hype for Lana Del Rey's debut album she unfairly found herself a target for the usual internet maniacs but, while Born to Die doesn't exactly reinvent the wheel, it is certainly a solid start to her recording career. Songs such as Title track Born to Die, Video games and Blue Jeans ably demonstrate Lana's vocal talents and will attract more than enough fans toAfter all the pre-release hype for Lana Del Rey's debut album she unfairly found herself a target for the usual internet maniacs but, while Born to Die doesn't exactly reinvent the wheel, it is certainly a solid start to her recording career. Songs such as Title track Born to Die, Video games and Blue Jeans ably demonstrate Lana's vocal talents and will attract more than enough fans to make her a success in the pop world. Expand
  6. Mar 30, 2013
    Born To Die is an 'ok' album, but her low vocals and '50s inspired songs' are, i can't say boring, but too tiring at some points.
  7. Nov 19, 2012
    No doubt Lana is the most overrated new generation pop star. Have to admit she's able to write good catchy songs but it's poor production and her law singers talent just ruin all the good stuff.
  8. Jul 27, 2012
    If I'm honest, I didn't want to go with the critics for this one, but when I first downloaded and listened to Born to Die shortly after its release, it became obvious to me that one of my most anticipated albums at the end of 2011 had turned out to be a disappointing mixed bag. Going through the tracklist, the title track and opener is dramatic and initially enjoyable though unremarkable,If I'm honest, I didn't want to go with the critics for this one, but when I first downloaded and listened to Born to Die shortly after its release, it became obvious to me that one of my most anticipated albums at the end of 2011 had turned out to be a disappointing mixed bag. Going through the tracklist, the title track and opener is dramatic and initially enjoyable though unremarkable, but the cringeworthy melodrama and lyrics of second track "Off to the Races" chokes is lush strings and production for a full five minutes, no less. Next, "Blue Jeans" is propulsive and inoffensive though bland, with a decent sense for song structure. At this point, "Video Games", the album's only complete triumph, comes off so honest, so sincere and so beautifully crafted that it feels slightly out of place in a set of songs so dedicated to ego and persona. No surprise that it clashes so vehemently with the obnoxious intro to the following track: "You're no good for me, but baby I want you, I want you." The ensuing three tracks are fairly predictable pop songs with their fair share of downfalls, but where normally an album like Born to Die would end in a series of unlistenable sentimental ballads, something must be said for the final few songs on the album, as they show the most promise: "Summertime Sadness," despite the title, builds up well and has a simple, powerful refrain. "Million Dollar Man," while sadly overproduced, may be the only song comparable in quality to "Video Games:" Del Rey's powerful voice is shown off over jazzy piano that make the song interesting and listenable. Still, not even these strong points could save the album: at the end of the day, despite considerable merits, it just sounds all too similar and uninteresting as a whole. Expand
  9. Jul 12, 2012
    One of the most talked-about singers of 2011 and 2012 released her awaited album just for disappointing. There are a few highlights, but the down parts are most eloquent. It is a bit dull at some ways, and it's strangeness makes we feel like Lana don't believe in what she is singing. Of course, highlights I've mentioned are "National Anthem" and "Summertime Sadness".
  10. Jun 26, 2012
    All songs sounds almost same through entire album. I enjoyed only 5 of 15: Born to Die, Blue Jeans, Video Games, Dark Paradise and Summertime Sadness. You definitely should listen to it before buying.
  11. Jun 19, 2012
    Exaggerated vocals, some songs are worth as "Video Games" for example, lyrics are not so much convincing, with the exception of Carmen and the production is a bit interesting. A not very nice mixture of baroque pop with a quasi-hip-hop. We could say that Lana is not yet ready to release an album, but her voice indicates a singer who can demonstrate more talent in some years.
  12. May 19, 2012
    The production is the greatest aspect of this album. It is really good ("Carmen", "National Anthem"). However, the themes on this album range get very repetitive very fast. Del Rey attempts to present herself as a singer with substance. It's obvious that she's trying to say something with this album. However, you can't take her seriously with phrases like 'money is the reason weThe production is the greatest aspect of this album. It is really good ("Carmen", "National Anthem"). However, the themes on this album range get very repetitive very fast. Del Rey attempts to present herself as a singer with substance. It's obvious that she's trying to say something with this album. However, you can't take her seriously with phrases like 'money is the reason we exist/everybody knows it/it's a fact, kiss-kiss'.
    Unlike Amy Winehouse, another vintage sounding singer, Lana Del Ray lacks tact. Instead, she comes across as the indie equivalent of any mainstream pop singer. She doesn't live up to the hype.

5. She's the smartest fish in the pop charts.
  13. Apr 23, 2012
    This is another pretentious album , that the basic **** think is going to make them look like hipsters and snobs. It's funny because the album has the same melody from the beginning to the end and it's beyond boring and most of the tracks go unnoticed. Her vocals is obviously the best thing on it, there are some ok songs like This What Makes Us Girls, Video Games, Radio and Lucky Ones.
  14. Feb 20, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I can´t say is the best album. It has its great songs, like Dark Paradise, Video Games, Blue Jeans and Born to die. But some of them are nasty, dirty and absolutely boring. It's a poor beginning, but she has a musical potential, even more than Adele's Rolling in the deep. But im sure she has potential, just listen Video games and Born to die, probably between the bests songs of the last year, and the first one, better than "Rolling in the deep" Expand
  15. Feb 7, 2012
    I hear a couple of songs off this album and was really struck by Miss Grant's style and how it fused with the production. I couldn't really say why I enjoyed it but I did. Then it hit me that I was listening to Lana del Rey with the idea of Nancy Sinatra in my head. Lana del Rey is applying the same sort of approach, but on the whole I think Nancy Sinatra's songs are consistently superior.I hear a couple of songs off this album and was really struck by Miss Grant's style and how it fused with the production. I couldn't really say why I enjoyed it but I did. Then it hit me that I was listening to Lana del Rey with the idea of Nancy Sinatra in my head. Lana del Rey is applying the same sort of approach, but on the whole I think Nancy Sinatra's songs are consistently superior. The sound approximates the feel of a Nancy Sinatra album but lacks the fire that made Nancy Sinatra so great. There are a few excellent singles in this album, but on the whole its rather disappointing, Talented but inconsistent is the best way to describe her, I think. Expand
  16. Feb 2, 2012
    Lana del rey is undeniably talented and her voice is unique, haunting and she has great vocal ability and she brings something new to music industry, but this album just doesn't worth the hype it had the past weeks. The album is too melancholic and melodramatic, a little unsuitable for an album with themes of party-rocking, sexuality and spending money..., plus the album is so repetitiveLana del rey is undeniably talented and her voice is unique, haunting and she has great vocal ability and she brings something new to music industry, but this album just doesn't worth the hype it had the past weeks. The album is too melancholic and melodramatic, a little unsuitable for an album with themes of party-rocking, sexuality and spending money..., plus the album is so repetitive that it gets tiring and boring through the 3/4 of the tracklisting and at the end the whole album seems a little dull. Really hope she does something more essential next time. Expand
  17. Jan 31, 2012
    It's not a bad album, but it isn't great either. Definitely not worthy of the hype. There are some good tunes here but Del Rey is not a very good lyricist and needs to improve her writing skills.

1. Feb 28, 2012
    Spread over 12 songs, Del Rey becomes so ordinary, even bland, that no amount of little girl vocals or pouting can save her.
  2. Feb 27, 2012
    Tune out the background media noise and immerse yourself. [Mar 2012, p.94]
  3. Feb 21, 2012
    Confirms her as the most compelling new pop star around: half doomed romantic, half mordant cynic, with a distinctively conflicted vision of how love, fame and America work. [Mar 2012, p.94]