7.6

Review this album

1. Feb 16, 2012
    All around this was a surprisingly solid album. Phonte is a pretty good lyricist, and the production fits him very well. I certainly enjoyed the theme of the album, which is very down to earth, blue collar type album. For the most part Phonte is your everyday dude, and that in itself is refreshing. It's far from perfect though. The album has it's fair share of contradictions, particularly in his lyrics. On one song he can be rapping about how he wants a simple life or being honest, settling down, and finding true love, and the other claiming that men cheat because they have to (as if it were genetic), and that his woman is a ball and chain. The only bad stretch of this album is the middle 3 or 4 tracks, and some of those are flat out terrible. One of the tracks is maybe the cheesiest cornball R&B songs I've ever heard. I really wish that Phonte would have done away with all of the R&B songs he has on this album. It's a shame, because on tracks like, "We Go Off" feat. Pharoahe Monch, Phonte shows just how great of rapper he can be. Collapse
  2. Jan 7, 2012
    This is a great album. The production is solid. The lyrics are solid. The only complaint I have with it is that Phonte doesn't change up his style, and the beats and his flow can be repetitive. Other than that, it is almost a perfect album.
  3. Oct 24, 2011
    Good, Classic Album. It takes me back to the little brother days. Love the way he raps and sings. Eternally, The Good Fight, To Be Yours, and We Go Off are my favorite tracks of the album.

1. Jan 18, 2012
    A well-balanced marriage of all of Phonte's musical inclinations.
  2. Oct 11, 2011
    With his gloriously grown-up solo debut, one of the smartest, most incisive lyricists alive proves it's possible to grow older in hip-hop while retaining your dignity.
  3. Oct 11, 2011
    Undeniably, Charity Starts At Home reminds why the rapper has been a darling of the underground for years.