9.2

Review this album

1. Sep 6, 2014
    This is more for people who didn't learn about the shins in "The Garden State" (not that there's anything wrong about that). Although not as good as Oh, Inverted World, still an amazing album. Simply a pleasure to listen to.
  2. Sep 5, 2013
    Despite the boring performances, The Shins (James Mercer) has been a part of countless brilliant pieces of music and this album is his master piece...
  3. Mar 22, 2012
    This album is the perfect example of Mercer's amazing song writing abilities. Each track on the album is filled with witty phrases and carefully crafted diction that listening to once is not an option. This songs are timeless. The opening track, "Kissing the Lipless," sounds nothing like the songs from the previous album, but makes a fresh new style for The Shins on this album. Chutes TooThis album is the perfect example of Mercer's amazing song writing abilities. Each track on the album is filled with witty phrases and carefully crafted diction that listening to once is not an option. This songs are timeless. The opening track, "Kissing the Lipless," sounds nothing like the songs from the previous album, but makes a fresh new style for The Shins on this album. Chutes Too Narrow switches it up from "New Slang," a song that made the band popular, but new in this case, new is definitely not bad. Fantastic album, just perfect. Expand
  4. j30
    Jan 24, 2012
    This is my favorite record by a band named The Shins. There's no sophomore slump to be seen here, in fact I think it's better than it's predecessor.
  5. Mar 20, 2011
    May not be better than Oh, Inverted World but Chutes Too Narrow is a near perfect album.The melodic hooks is so catchy, that it'll be stuck in your head long before you hear the album. It also gets better with each listen and I know that's a cliche but it's very true. The opener "Kissing The Lipless" is a wonderful opener that really shows James Mercer's vocal talent. He truly is aMay not be better than Oh, Inverted World but Chutes Too Narrow is a near perfect album.The melodic hooks is so catchy, that it'll be stuck in your head long before you hear the album. It also gets better with each listen and I know that's a cliche but it's very true. The opener "Kissing The Lipless" is a wonderful opener that really shows James Mercer's vocal talent. He truly is a wonderful singer. The musicianship is great and the lyrics will get to you. All In All, Chutes Too Narrow is an adventure through weird places that I recommend you definitely take a ride on this expedition. A- Expand
  6. Nov 3, 2010
    I know like me a lot of people got into this band after watching Garden State. I did and I am not ashamed of that! I love this band even today where their sound might not have aged well. I remember this album very fondly because the music was perfect for me for the time and what I was going through in life.

You don't expect progression from such evident classicists, but there's a new clarity, poise and refinement. [Apr 2004, p.107]
  2. On Chutes, Mercer’s voice is singing right next to you, and the change works wonders.