• Record Label: Nettwerk
8.8

Review this album

1. EricG
    Mar 4, 2006
    Like all the greatest song writers, Ron Sexsmith manages to flip the familiar on its head, exposing unfamiliar textures and possibilities not available to those of us who lack the genius to see them unaided. This is may favorite of all of his wonderful albums. Ron has some distinguished fans: Paul McCartney and Elvis Costello, to name just two. Get this.
  2. matta
    Jul 13, 2005
    Besides Ron, I can only think of two other artists this decade that have made two flawless albums: Sufjan Stevens(MIchigan and Illinois) and Joe Pernice(The World is NOt Enough and Yours, MIne, Ours). This album, along with Retriever, is why Ron Sexsmith and his music is absolutely essential for anyone interested in thought-provoking music.
  3. eileeno
    Sep 12, 2003
    I could listen to this CD over and over - and I do. I love it. Pure gold.
  4. HeatherK
    Jul 13, 2003
    I've been a Ron Sexsmith fan for a long time and was so excited about the release of this album and picked it up as soon as it was available. The songs are wonderful ... the writing superb, as expected, and Ron's voice is always appealing in a unique way. But I can hardly stand to listen to the album because some of my favourite songs have these horrible techno screeches and I've been a Ron Sexsmith fan for a long time and was so excited about the release of this album and picked it up as soon as it was available. The songs are wonderful ... the writing superb, as expected, and Ron's voice is always appealing in a unique way. But I can hardly stand to listen to the album because some of my favourite songs have these horrible techno screeches and blips in them that really distract from the beauty of the songs and Ron's voice. At first I thought something was wrong with my cd but apparently not. I can't stand it. I would pay double for a copy of the cd without all the annoying electronic background noise. Is one available? Am I the only one completely aghast that someone would ruin Ron's songs like this? I vote 10 for Ron and 0 for the production. Expand
  5. DavidB
    Apr 7, 2003
    I've got all Rons past cd's. They just get better, and this is the best yet. Classy song writing. Oozes emotion. Distinctly a unique style. PS he's even better live. PPS I like him !!
  6. CWCost
    Feb 26, 2003
    Strange how I hated this guy's voice at first listen. I love this CD. It grew on me big time.
  7. DerrickM
    Nov 30, 2002
    This is the third Ron Sexsmith album I've had the pleasure to listen to. It's his best yet. He should be famous.
  8. KaiW
    Nov 18, 2002
    Perfect songwriting, if the Beatles were around today, this is what they might have put out on a mellow day.
  9. AaronL
    Nov 12, 2002
    Just when he was beginning to be a bit repetitive and losing steam, he comes out with his best collection yet with the brilliant production adding so much to his already wonderful songs.
  10. WilfK
    Nov 7, 2002
    This is a wonderful, wonderful album with truth and optimism in the lyrics and inspired melodies.
  11. EnzoP
    Nov 3, 2002
    Best album so far this year and probably RS's best album to date - 10/10 !
  12. JasonA.
    Oct 24, 2002
    good stuff.
  13. AmandaE.
    Oct 22, 2002
    This is an amazing album. If you've never heard of Ron before, this is a great intro. If you are a big fan already, CR will even exceed your expectations. Buy this right now!
  14. BjörnJ.
    Oct 22, 2002
    A harmonic piece of work by maybe the best song-writer in the world. Simple but great songs with intelligent lyrics!
  15. JoseRamonR.
    Oct 14, 2002
    songwriter´s album of the year bar none!!!! songs like gold in them hills, former glory or god loves everyone are like jewels. Like "reason to believe", "forever young" or "time has told me". Believe me please. for the sake of the song...

1. Despite the odd bump Sexsmith could be in business at last. [Dec 2002, p.111]
  2. The perfect combination of restrained production and sparkling tunes.
  3. With Cobblestone Runway, he proves once again he's one of the best songwriters out there, and easily the best Canadian songwriter working today.