Drukqs - Aphex Twin
9.1

Review this album

1. Jun 15, 2014
    By far his best album. It brings together all the best sounds of electronic music including elements of acid and breakcore. It's catering to a pretty specific taste, though.
  2. Aug 7, 2013
    Is this album Aphex's best? No. Is it cool, nice, abrasive and fun, like most of them? The answer is: Sometimes. Even if the album has nice melodies (Jynweythek, Strotha Tynhem, Avril 14th), hard drums (Vordhosbn, Mt Saint Michel Saint Michaels Mount, Afx237 v.7), it is never as compelling and cohesive. It has completely different sounding tracks, one after another. Even if it has goodIs this album Aphex's best? No. Is it cool, nice, abrasive and fun, like most of them? The answer is: Sometimes. Even if the album has nice melodies (Jynweythek, Strotha Tynhem, Avril 14th), hard drums (Vordhosbn, Mt Saint Michel Saint Michaels Mount, Afx237 v.7), it is never as compelling and cohesive. It has completely different sounding tracks, one after another. Even if it has good songs, there is a lot of fillers and overly simple songs that wouldn't fit anywhere in his late albums. I understand why people like this, it is experimental and a new way of sounding for any electronic artist, but it's simply not as good as his earlier material. Expand
  3. Jul 27, 2013
    Drukqs, though I would struggle to define it as James' greatest album among so many masterpieces, is my personal favourite album not just for Aphex Twin, but counting all his pseudonyms. The interspersed piano pieces are hauntingly beautiful (re: Rolling Stone) and provide a rest from the intensity of songs like "Gwarek2" and "Strotha Tynhe". The atmosphere of the album is intense andDrukqs, though I would struggle to define it as James' greatest album among so many masterpieces, is my personal favourite album not just for Aphex Twin, but counting all his pseudonyms. The interspersed piano pieces are hauntingly beautiful (re: Rolling Stone) and provide a rest from the intensity of songs like "Gwarek2" and "Strotha Tynhe". The atmosphere of the album is intense and almost overwhelming but simultaneously comforting and fantastical. "Vordhosbn" is one of James' best ambient tracks, and and "Mt Saint Michael Saint Michaels Mount" reach towering, giddy pinnacles that put you into a trance. A brilliant album that I listen to more than any other, and will never get tired of. Expand
  4. Mar 16, 2013
    I have a number of Aphex Twin albums and this is by far the worst. It was apparently written as a "deal breaker" and I can believe it. Many of the tracks are abbrasive without any reedeming quality and are simply unlistenable. This album does not give you a remote idea of what Richard D James (Aphex Twin) is capable of producing. It's a little tiring to see arrogant comments such asI have a number of Aphex Twin albums and this is by far the worst. It was apparently written as a "deal breaker" and I can believe it. Many of the tracks are abbrasive without any reedeming quality and are simply unlistenable. This album does not give you a remote idea of what Richard D James (Aphex Twin) is capable of producing. It's a little tiring to see arrogant comments such as those by AlphaHacker who seem to think that only their opinion and personal tastes matter. I have at least 10 Aphex Twin albums, including a few he made under different monickers and Drukqs is terrible. It seems like he put almost no effort into it.

Someone commented, "Aphex Twin isn't out to please people or make a cohesive album." Fine, but that doesn't mean that we can't share our opinions on this album. There are two or three tracks I enjoy out of all the tracks on the 2 CDs. This is the only Aphex Twin albulm I own that I simply won't listen to. Every other album of his that I own, including Selected Ambient Works 85 92, Selected Ambient Works II, I Care Because You Do, Richard D James Album, Analogue Bubblebath III, Chosen Lords, Windolicker, Come to Daddy, Hangable Auto Bulb, Surfing on Sine Waves, put Drukz to shame because Drukz is a lousy album.

If you like the album, fine, that's up to you, but don't try pretending that only the opinions of those who like it matter, because that's not how it works. Many people even diehard fans of Aphex Twin like myself dislike this album and many of those who've not heard it will dislike it. I don't like the album. I think it sucks and my opinion is just as valid as those who give it a 10/10 and call it genius, no matter what you think of the album. Proclaiming it "genius" doesn't mean that your opinion is worth more.
  5. Feb 10, 2013
    Does a fantastic job illustrating the difference between a coherent, deliberate album and a compilation of material that sort of goes together; Drukqs being a frustrating example of the latter.
  6. Jul 14, 2012
    This has to be one of Richards finest works here. Critically underrated! Piles of stand out tracks. A welcome addition to any Aphex Twin fan's library.
  7. Apr 11, 2012
    I don't condone Drugs to others, but this album does, it is what most will need to get into Richard D James' wonderous world of sound, where you are allowed to cry, you can be frightened, and you can delve to the very core of your soul. If you aren't afraid of an album delving into the depths of your imagination, emulating the human brain, pulling you in and out of mindset after mindset,I don't condone Drugs to others, but this album does, it is what most will need to get into Richard D James' wonderous world of sound, where you are allowed to cry, you can be frightened, and you can delve to the very core of your soul. If you aren't afraid of an album delving into the depths of your imagination, emulating the human brain, pulling you in and out of mindset after mindset, this is an album which will amaze you, terrify you, make you weep and leave you asking what the meaning of life is after it's spell is lifted, which could be many years from the time you hear it, enjoy. Expand
  8. Nov 15, 2010
    One of his best, right behind Selected Ambient Works Vol. 1 and Richard D. James. All these mainstream critics just don't get it. Go back to rating Kanye West and Lil Wayne you uncultured dopes.

What's lacking, though, is context.
  2. There is so little personality or variety that when Lornaderek turns out to be a 30-second birthday ansaphone message from his mum and dad, it is not a gimmick but a touching highlight.
    The resulting cavalcade of "decent bits" seldom leaves an imprint in your memory, let alone your heart. [Nov 2001, p.130]