Elephant

• Release Date: Apr 1, 2003
8.5

Review this album

1. Oct 19, 2011
    This album is ridiculous. I'm surprised it didn't start a music revolution like that of Is This It. Jack White is an absolute genius. Unfair album overall. All tracks are PERFECT
  2. SimonB
    Dec 1, 2003
    Best album I've heard all year. The cover of 'Don't Know What to Do With Myself' is a gem and 'Ball and and a Biscuit' is intense. 'Little Acorns' and 'Cold Cold Night' aren't bad but knock off one point
  3. j30
    Sep 22, 2011
    Great album. Nothing groundbreaking, but just a great rock album. This is one of those records you can listen to all the way through repeatedly. It's the 'Nevermind' for a new generation of music. You listen to it and it makes you want to start your own garage band.
  4. catherines
    Apr 1, 2003
    absolutely wonderful.....definitely stands up to s/t, de stijl and wbc
  5. AlexT
    May 8, 2003
    Amazing. It blew my head off and I haven't stopped listening to it since I brought it out of the shop. At last some music that sounds like the true expression of its players. This is not corporate rock and I thank the White Stripes for selling their art to us. Cheers, my dears! Cup of tea!
  6. gregs
    Jun 2, 2004
    99.99% pure genius- drums ,vocal,storeytelling a distillation. Shows the heart of rocknrolls still beating.. to use a cliche. Perhaps the people who gave it a zero are into rap or some other genre and are closed minded as their talent at least is undeniable and in your face.
  7. mookiewilson
    Mar 16, 2003
    success hasn't spoiled them yet- 4.5 stars
  8. AlexH
    best cd I've heard this year. Better than White Blood Cells
  9. CoryB
    Apr 2, 2003
    Words cannot describe this album, but we still try. The guitar solos could make any talented guitarist weep, the lyrics could do the same to anyone. One of he best albums i've bought in the last 4 years, and i've bought more most anyone out there.
  10. davep
    Apr 4, 2003
    This is a quite brilliant record. I can't seem to take it out of my CD player. I love the Burt Bacharach cover. Seven Nation Army, Black Math, There's No Home For You Here, I Want to Be the Boy..., The Hardest Button to Button, Little Acorns, and The Air Near Your Fingers are all instant classics in my eyes and will probably be the cause of wearing out my eardrums over the next This is a quite brilliant record. I can't seem to take it out of my CD player. I love the Burt Bacharach cover. Seven Nation Army, Black Math, There's No Home For You Here, I Want to Be the Boy..., The Hardest Button to Button, Little Acorns, and The Air Near Your Fingers are all instant classics in my eyes and will probably be the cause of wearing out my eardrums over the next several months. Nice Job, WS. Expand
  11. MarcD.
    Apr 6, 2003
    "Ball & Biscuit" alone is worth the price of admission. Jack White is an old soul, and his stellar tribute to Zeppelin's "The Lemon Song" feels like a warm blanket for my chilly toes.
  12. ColbyC
    Apr 8, 2003
    You'll find this CD on numerous top-10 lists at the end of the year....probably even #1 on a lot of them....simply amazing.
  13. JenA
    Jun 14, 2003
    THE BEST CD. Great beats and the songs are one of a kind.
  14. Jen?
    Jun 1, 2003
    Love it. Best album this year! (and i know there is still half a year to go.....)
  15. NseE
    Jun 30, 2003
    A fab cd with diverse sounds; Dancey (7 nation army), Bluesy (Ball & biscuit), 70s punk rock (Hypnotize), and the tender, lovely, 'In the cold, cold night'. Love it.
  16. JustinG
    Jul 1, 2003
    Anyone who thinks this album has nothing to offer must be trippin. The music world has had so little to offer lately, this album is pure refreshment for those of us who are tired of all the same old shit. It has grown on me in a way that I haven't felt for years, I was starting to think that might never happen again. Thanks for re-inventing good stuff.
  17. howlinpellealmqvistlvr
    Aug 23, 2003
    this is my fav cd out of all the white stripes -anyone who thinks otherwise probably doesnt have good taste in music
  18. RicN.
    Jun 9, 2005
    I once used the track Ball and Biscuit to choreograph a couple performing foreplay on stage. It worked wonderfully well.
  19. AdamCK
    Nov 5, 2003
    This is a great CD, although not as good as their masterpiece, 'White Blood Cells.' There are no songs here as good as 'Hotel Yorba' or 'Fell in Love With a Girl,' but there is still plenty to enjoy. So far this is the record of the year, and if it doesn't exactly progess The White Stripes sound too much, it does at least solidify them as the best band This is a great CD, although not as good as their masterpiece, 'White Blood Cells.' There are no songs here as good as 'Hotel Yorba' or 'Fell in Love With a Girl,' but there is still plenty to enjoy. So far this is the record of the year, and if it doesn't exactly progess The White Stripes sound too much, it does at least solidify them as the best band going right now. Expand
  20. nikolasvillegas
    Mar 12, 2003
    wonderful album. the white brothers (?), once again, making it simple and beautiful.
  21. Kaninchen
    Mar 22, 2003
    If you like the White Stripes (and you should) then you'll think this is brilliant... Such a great rock album, and I do love the guitar solos! I love the noises this boy can make with his guitar! And Meg's song is sweet and simple, nicely done. The only song that didn't appeal to me so much was the duet (or triplet? eh?) with Holly Golightly... just a little too country for If you like the White Stripes (and you should) then you'll think this is brilliant... Such a great rock album, and I do love the guitar solos! I love the noises this boy can make with his guitar! And Meg's song is sweet and simple, nicely done. The only song that didn't appeal to me so much was the duet (or triplet? eh?) with Holly Golightly... just a little too country for me, but I feel that even that one will eventually grow on me. I'm sorry I snuck it, guys... I'm a huge fan and I'll be first in line to buy the CD!! Expand
  22. JustinH
    Mar 23, 2003
    I love everything about this CD except that opening to "Little Acorns." I love the White Stripes. They are by far the coolest thing in music now!
  23. thesillymofo
    Apr 1, 2003
    oh man. i nearly died on the first listen.
  24. JasonF.
    Apr 1, 2003
    Something different. This album really expanded on their "style" of music. Not at all what I thought it would be. It really ecompases the different types they use; its got some good blues yet still has the punk/garage rock. It seemed so so at first but really grew on me. I give it a 10 just because Seven Nation Army is the greatest song ever!!!
  25. MrPibb
    Apr 2, 2003
    Brilliant. There are some other great albums slated for this year, but it'll be hard to top this.
  26. MattL
    Apr 25, 2003
    This is a great album. Period. Unfortunetely a lot of people (especially the goofy zero club) are reacting strongly against the hype rather than the music. It should be noted this album was cut before they became a sensation with their previous album. The White Stripes don't create the hype, folks. They just play great music. I find it better than their last one.
  27. angua___
    Apr 26, 2003
    I bought this 3 days ago, and it's been in my cd player ever since. If you're new to this sort of music, like me, please, please, PLEASE, give it a chance to grow on you. Just a few weeks ago, I was ranting in an online journal about how much the 'new rock' of the White Stripes, Strokes and others sucked. I hated 'Seven Nation Army' the first time I heard it. I bought this 3 days ago, and it's been in my cd player ever since. If you're new to this sort of music, like me, please, please, PLEASE, give it a chance to grow on you. Just a few weeks ago, I was ranting in an online journal about how much the 'new rock' of the White Stripes, Strokes and others sucked. I hated 'Seven Nation Army' the first time I heard it. The damn radio station just kept on playing it, and playing it. Before I knew it i was singing along to the opening riff, exulting in the guitar solo, downloading far more singles than i had intended too, buying 'Elephant' on a whim with my birthday money ... and now I can't get enough. It's not beautiful, or overtly topical, or all the other things I used to value in music. I'd call it insidious, but it's anything but slow and creeping. Put simply, it IS Rock and Roll. Let it take you over. Expand
  28. JackWhite
    Apr 28, 2003
    Impressive. The proof that you don't need thousands of dollars nor some virtuous guitar and drum player to craft a masterpiece.
  29. RyanM.
    Apr 3, 2003
    A near-perfectl eclectic conglomerate of garage rock and soul.
  30. Jules
    Apr 3, 2003
    This is not just an all-time classic album but a vibrant essential slice of our times - our swaggering, sexed-up 'exile on main street' but with more (white) brain cells firing and a gothic style that befits the darkening of recent times - Jack White knows we can't go back home, Mick Jagger drugged and shagged himself into believing he could - like everyone else back in the This is not just an all-time classic album but a vibrant essential slice of our times - our swaggering, sexed-up 'exile on main street' but with more (white) brain cells firing and a gothic style that befits the darkening of recent times - Jack White knows we can't go back home, Mick Jagger drugged and shagged himself into believing he could - like everyone else back in the seventies! Collapse
  31. BartSimpson
    Apr 3, 2003
    If Nirvana never existed, this would be the greatest album ever.
  32. BrianW
    Apr 4, 2003
    I cannot stop listening to this CD. So far, unquestionably the #1 album of the century. The Stripes have outdone themselves this time.
  33. NicholasB
    Apr 8, 2003
    This record is amazing-it's garage rock but is also a new standard of art rock.
  34. LukeJ
    May 1, 2003
    Quite possibly the best rock since Nirvana. It just feels so good.
  35. BenT
    May 15, 2003
    Amazing sound, amazing songs, amazing record. Easily their best...and chances are they will get better.
  36. WhiteStripes
    Jun 1, 2003
    It's simply an AWESOME CD!! I just love The White Stripe! I hope they will release a next cd!!
  37. BobC
    Jun 1, 2003
    Hello, and welcome to the bandwagon. I'm hooked! "Seven Nation Army" kicks you in the ass. Then "Black Math" kicks you in the head. And "There's No Home For You Here" kicks you in the heart. And it just goes ON like that!... Seriously, anyone who said this is "more of the same stuff" needs a fucking lobotomy. Do you hear those solos?! Jack White went from plucking G, C and D on Hello, and welcome to the bandwagon. I'm hooked! "Seven Nation Army" kicks you in the ass. Then "Black Math" kicks you in the head. And "There's No Home For You Here" kicks you in the heart. And it just goes ON like that!... Seriously, anyone who said this is "more of the same stuff" needs a fucking lobotomy. Do you hear those solos?! Jack White went from plucking G, C and D on "Hotel Yorba" two years ago to playing some wicked-fast, hardcore lines that'll really move you. Why? Probably because he's pissed off, confused and bewildered in response to all this attention he's been getting. And those are good emotions to rock out to. Expand
  38. Matt
    Feb 16, 2004
    Some people think they know everything, and they don't. The critics are right IMO on this album. The first half is classic, in fact.
  39. ScottC
    Jun 12, 2004
    This was definitely one of the decades best albums. In my opinion it was an instant classic and showcases the talent of the White Stripes and gives the public a look at their wide range of ability.
  40. Stu
    Jul 17, 2004
    Elephant, along with all the other White Stripes albums and wonderful, ingenious, new, and very different from all those other, 10 cents a dozen rock groups that are out now.
  41. JakeC.
    Sep 9, 2004
    What can I say...their 2nd best album (right behind Blood Cells), but still a masterpiece. It introduced me to the bluesy part of TWS. The best band ever? Yes...indeed yes!
  42. HawkB
    Dec 2, 2005
    Renegade likes it so I'm giving it a 7 based on that. I might change my score when I've actually heard the album.
  43. PhantomXIII
    Apr 7, 2005
    AN excellent work that everyone should have in their collection.
    Jun 20, 2005
    This is definitely my favorite CD. Everyone needs to get a copy of this. It is amazing.
  45. sM
    Aug 7, 2005
    Not overrated. Complete rock masterpiece. Woot!
  46. MattC
    Sep 10, 2005
    Can you not love this album?
  47. KatiB
    Feb 8, 2006
    This is an excellent album. It's different than the Stripe's previous three albums and yet still very Jack White (which is a good thing). You need to own it now. Also, listen to it a few times before saying no. It takes more than one listen to really "feel" it.
  48. marsh
    Apr 10, 2006
    I'm still blown away that someone could actually give this cd a 3. it's sad.
  49. nick
    May 1, 2006
    definitely not the second best of the year but a good album not great.
  50. NickM
    Jun 8, 2006
    one of the most unique sounds out there. its a refreshing sound compared to the standard unsophisticated boring sound that most rock groups today have.
  51. MarshallF.
    Aug 5, 2006
    THIS IS A MESSAGE TO ALL THE WHITE STRIPES HATERS IN THE WORLD!!! The reason you are teasing and hating this band is because you think the music is way to simple, or because Meg (the dreumer) is really bad. The sheer simplicity of the band is what makes the music so good! Writing a simple song the most difficult thing to do in music. Hear a song like Seven Nation Army. That is 5, FIVE, 5 THIS IS A MESSAGE TO ALL THE WHITE STRIPES HATERS IN THE WORLD!!! The reason you are teasing and hating this band is because you think the music is way to simple, or because Meg (the dreumer) is really bad. The sheer simplicity of the band is what makes the music so good! Writing a simple song the most difficult thing to do in music. Hear a song like Seven Nation Army. That is 5, FIVE, 5 notes in that riff, and its the whole song just played in different was and everything. Black Math's main riff is 3 5th chords. Cold, Cold Night is again, 4 notes on the whose song, but what they do with the notes makes it sound so haunting and everything. I know you folks who say Elephant sucks are trying to sound so "Musically Smart", but a real musician listens to this and can realize its unique and amazing sound. I mean, there are plenty of punk bands like Green Day, tons of pop stars like Beyonce, and too many talentless "R 'n' B" singers like Mariah Carey. What other two-person raw sounding bassless band do you know? For al those people reading this, go pick up an instrument, and try to come up with a riff as catchy and simple as the Seven Nation Army riff. You can't. Unless you are some new genesis, you just cant. This band has earned resect from old folk musicians like Bob Dylan, and newer rock bands like Franz Ferdinand because of their unique simplicity. So do yourself a favor, and get Elephant. Expand
  52. ColinR
    Oct 21, 2003
    To me it was so close to being fantastic but lacked something that hung it all together. I like individual songs but don't "get" the album. Fine but not a classic.
  53. sashae.
    Mar 14, 2003
    Brilliant disc.. the album is introduced with the deep, twanging bassline on "Seven Nation Army" and continues through the Zeppelin-esque explorations of "Ball and Biscuit," and our first opportunity at hearing Meg sing on "In the Cold Cold Night." End to end, the album is fantastic... I'm looking forward to the store release (this review is from a promo copy.)
  54. KatieB
    Mar 18, 2003
    Alot of the songs on the new cd are pretty good, but i was disapointed with some like 'It's true that we love one another'. I think that one was pretty bad, and they shouldn't have put it on the album.
  55. Zoey
    Apr 13, 2003
    I kept hearing such positive things about the album, so I bought it. Seriously, it's an instant classic. It's such a simple album, back to basics in a way. Jack's the shit. That's all there is to it.
  56. Janie
    hell yeah@!
  57. yen
    one word: BRILLIANT!!!
  58. AliciaZ
    Apr 14, 2003
    Awesome, absolutely breathtaking. The White Stripes have taken another step towards achieving greatness.
  59. MichaelR
    Apr 27, 2003
    Just great. The White Stripes are one of the greatest bands to come along in the past decade, and sound like the good old Rock from several decades ago. In a sea of Nu-Metal and pop-punk, The White Stripes are a refreshing change.
  60. MattP
    Apr 29, 2003
    Great.
  61. MichaelW
    Jun 18, 2003
    I love it! It's probably the best album of the year, if not the past few.
  62. lawrencej
    Aug 5, 2003
    the best album i have ever heard.
  63. AaronS
    Sep 22, 2003
    This is the best thing that I've heard all year so far. The White Stripes so called "British" album is more intense than thier previous releases. Jack White's guitar playing is phenominal with moments that are SO good you want to weep. An amazing album.
  64. Cfitz
    Mar 19, 2004
    The first, true classic rock album of the 21st Century. Elephant combines sugar sweet lyrics, Dylan musings with Zeppelinesque screaming guitars and addictive riffs. Jack White is a genius.
  65. SimonA
    Apr 25, 2004
    I think John Bonham (Led Zeppelin) smiles in heaven.
  66. Elliott
    May 2, 2004
    HIGHLY overrated. De Stijl is where it's at.
  67. BrockR
    May 25, 2004
    Elliot the previous rater before me was right "De Stijl" is the White Stripes best album. While I don't agree with his labelment of this album being "overhyped" I think the album really could have been better. The first 3 songs lead you to believe the album will be much more grittier and bluesy, then 4,5,6 disappoint, the cover of i just don't know what to do with myself should Elliot the previous rater before me was right "De Stijl" is the White Stripes best album. While I don't agree with his labelment of this album being "overhyped" I think the album really could have been better. The first 3 songs lead you to believe the album will be much more grittier and bluesy, then 4,5,6 disappoint, the cover of i just don't know what to do with myself should have been put on a single, cold cold night gets old VERY fast, I do like his song Keep her in your pocket though, its a reminder of how much I loved I can tell that we are gonna be friends. number 8 is what makes this cd an 8. This AMAZING improvisational blues battle shows just how amazing Jack White is on the guitar. Regardless of what the ignorant Linkin Park avid fans say about how they think this dynamic duo play, The White Stripes bring it every time they play, NONE of their songs sound the same, and they play their type of music not what the public wants to hear. If your a true musician this band is in your top 10 list at least. Expand
  68. Tyler
    Jul 4, 2004
    How much variation from album to album can you expect from two kids playing two instruments on a 4 track recorder? Even as seminal as Robert Johnson was most of his songs sound the same. So if the differences in Jack's riffs are sometimes only incremental from "De Stijl" and "White Blood Cells" I can forgive him. The main difference between this album and their last couple is that it How much variation from album to album can you expect from two kids playing two instruments on a 4 track recorder? Even as seminal as Robert Johnson was most of his songs sound the same. So if the differences in Jack's riffs are sometimes only incremental from "De Stijl" and "White Blood Cells" I can forgive him. The main difference between this album and their last couple is that it is consistently more accessible - and anytime good music reach a wide audience it's a good thing. I am surprised at the number of zero ratings given - perhaps suggest a different record that would show me why this music would merit such a low score. Expand
  69. marshallm
    Dec 8, 2005
    they're are a great band. i think it's some of the most original stuff you'll ever hear. Get Behind me Satan ( there latest LP) is def. worth a buy too. keep goin' meg and jack!
  70. JoeD
    May 24, 2005
    I bought this album a year after it came out and I am sure glad I did. In an age where most music is overproduced, commercialized crap designed to rake in a profit, the Stripes are a sorely needed breath of fresh air. This has become one of my favorite albums of all time!
  71. Carrie
    Jun 7, 2005
    This really will remain one of my favorite albums of all time.
  72. RonG
    Sep 14, 2005
    Hmm...Some great songs, too many that don't deserve the hype. White Blood Cells is far better.
  73. DrewM
    Mar 18, 2006
    A great album. Highly recommended.
  74. Amanda
    Mar 24, 2006
    This album did not leave my car CD player for MONTHS.
  75. LizT
    Mar 6, 2006
    I love this album! that's all....I never knew that there could be a band out there that consisted of a male and female that didn't make love with each other.. at least as far as I know... but its good music.. real good..... yeehaw.
  76. Spork*
    Oct 19, 2003
    awesome definatley one of the greatest ever
  77. kirk
    Mar 15, 2003
    Almost as good as the past two albums, although not my favorite. Still no filler! They're expanding their horizons on this one, so more for the real fans!!!
  78. BlancoA.
    Mar 31, 2003
    So much power, yet so much grace... who needs a bass?
  79. rez
    Apr 17, 2003
    AS A FAN SINCE DESTIJL, and still thinking that's their best album, i have to say i'm just a bit let down by this record. theres about 6 real gems on this record, and the rest lost that feeling that made me like them in the first place. raw, fcuking rock and roll. whether its the point of their music or not doent mater to me, it's what i love about them and half the album AS A FAN SINCE DESTIJL, and still thinking that's their best album, i have to say i'm just a bit let down by this record. theres about 6 real gems on this record, and the rest lost that feeling that made me like them in the first place. raw, fcuking rock and roll. whether its the point of their music or not doent mater to me, it's what i love about them and half the album has lost that. i do admit though. the good songs, are really get-out-of-my-chair and do something good songs. faves would be no.3 and no.13 and i'm warming up to others as i type this. by the end of this month, it might go up a notch. Expand
  80. ChrisP
    Apr 24, 2003
    they've definitely taken a step in a new direction within the simplicity in which they work, and it works for them
  81. Derrick
    I love it.
  82. ChadS
    Apr 25, 2003
    The White Stripes looked like one of the all-time-greats on Thursday night's "Late Night with Conan O'Brien". The White Stripes are a relief. I was beginning to wonder if anybody had it in them to raise rock from the tomb of suck. "Elephant" makes me nostalgic for a time when I bought new music every week.
  83. ChristopherZ
    Jun 26, 2003
    They should put a 10+, for more than ten, because The White Stripes kick major A**!!!
  84. colinm
    Jul 11, 2003
    Jack white continues to be a better songwriter with each album, and the stripes conjure up a variety of atmospheres that are all pretty compelling, but they are not quite the saviors the press would have you believe. This album sounds like they tried to make their masterpiece before they were quite ready. It has many of the hall marks of greatness, but ends up being a little too vague. So Jack white continues to be a better songwriter with each album, and the stripes conjure up a variety of atmospheres that are all pretty compelling, but they are not quite the saviors the press would have you believe. This album sounds like they tried to make their masterpiece before they were quite ready. It has many of the hall marks of greatness, but ends up being a little too vague. So what is elephant? Not a great record, but a reeeeealy good one. And these days thats enough. Expand
  85. JackW
    Aug 28, 2003
    I own every White Stripes album, and Elephant is certainly the one with the best first listen, replay value, consistency, variety, and mass appeal. The best album since OK Computer. If you like Rock music and you dislike Elephant may your CD wallet filled likely with Limp Bizkit burn.
  86. TristramC
    Sep 16, 2003
    Look I don't know what the ratings mean except that maybe I am to rate the degree of urgency that should be had in acquiring this for your collection. If that IS the case, it isn't even close. This is the finest record of the year because it is even more successful at doing what made White Blood Cells an American Classic. That is to meat rock musics' watermarks of punk and Look I don't know what the ratings mean except that maybe I am to rate the degree of urgency that should be had in acquiring this for your collection. If that IS the case, it isn't even close. This is the finest record of the year because it is even more successful at doing what made White Blood Cells an American Classic. That is to meat rock musics' watermarks of punk and blues together while at the same time making the music sound modern instead of arcane. The common mistake is that Jack and Meg are traditionalists when they are not--any more than Berry or Hendrix were in their primes. Expand
  87. BenL.
    Jan 15, 2004
    This was an awesome album. Usually you buy a CD and only listen to a few of the songs, and thats what the CD is done for. This album has no fillers and they should all be singles. One of the best albums ever.
  88. GraceC
    May 22, 2004
    Simple goodness.
  89. JayR.
    Jul 23, 2004
    Best Album of the Millenium. Perfect 10. If you don't own this album, you are ripping yourself off out of one of the best albums ever made. End of Story.
  90. ChrisL
    Jan 11, 2005
    This is one of my favorite albums of all time. I think history will show its brilliance, and the White Stripes will go on to become one of the most imitated bands since Led Zeppelin. Blues, punk and garage rock are sewn together so well you can't see the seams, yet the siblings White have created a style of music distinctly their own. Every song has a purpose on this album, and This is one of my favorite albums of all time. I think history will show its brilliance, and the White Stripes will go on to become one of the most imitated bands since Led Zeppelin. Blues, punk and garage rock are sewn together so well you can't see the seams, yet the siblings White have created a style of music distinctly their own. Every song has a purpose on this album, and nothing is overdone. "Ball and Biscuit", the longest song the Stripes have ever recorded, just leaves you wanting more. And here's the best news: I think they can get still better. Expand
  91. NickyH
    Oct 27, 2005
    I get a real kick of thinking about how much my metal-head friends must hate the White Stripes. I laugh even harder when I think about the fact that some of them went out and bought Elephant - after several years of Stripes hating - just because it got great reviews. Now, nearly rolling on the floor with laughter, I think about their distaste for the album and how vocal they have to be I get a real kick of thinking about how much my metal-head friends must hate the White Stripes. I laugh even harder when I think about the fact that some of them went out and bought Elephant - after several years of Stripes hating - just because it got great reviews. Now, nearly rolling on the floor with laughter, I think about their distaste for the album and how vocal they have to be about it. And I still laugh to this day when I give my metal-head friends rides. Their reactions when I put this CD in are priceless. Oh, the humor there is to be found in a group of people who find bluesy-rock "ghey". Ah, enough rambling. This album is one of the few albums in the past years that can be called a "masterpiece". There's to damn few albums like this anymore - and that's a shame. Classic. Expand
  92. Jake
    Apr 14, 2005
    Absolutely sensational
  93. WSFan
    Jan 28, 2006
    Black Math, The Hardest Button To Button and Seven Nation Army are the best songs ever created by anyone on the universe in the history of music. EVER. This album has so many good rock pieces to it that I had to take my socks off. Because it seriously rocked my socks off big time. You can listen to this album about a million times and you will never EVER EVER get bored of it. About 20,000 Black Math, The Hardest Button To Button and Seven Nation Army are the best songs ever created by anyone on the universe in the history of music. EVER. This album has so many good rock pieces to it that I had to take my socks off. Because it seriously rocked my socks off big time. You can listen to this album about a million times and you will never EVER EVER get bored of it. About 20,000 times better than any other pop right now. All other rock is dead. Thus, Long live the White Stripes. (By the way, even though GBMS is totally different from Elephant, it still is really good. Get both right now, if you don't already have them.) Expand
  94. DanH
    Jul 31, 2006
    A perfect album. A "bad" drummer does not make a bad band. Meg's drumming style fits perfectly with the music, with any other drummer it would just sound a little off. All of the songs on this album are great, ALL of them.
  95. Oct 19, 2010
    Easily one of the best albums of all time. This album is absolutely exceptional. it's like finding an island amongst a sea of **** 21'st century music. would recommend to anyone with a decent taste in music.
  96. May 5, 2011
    Whenever The White Stripes come into the scene, the word and description of "Simplicity" into their music is what makes them such a formidable band. Elephant is probably their greatest work and a huge step up from White Blood Cells with a darker take on their music. The album still has the simplistic yet compelling composition The White Stripes is known for and you will expect the bestWhenever The White Stripes come into the scene, the word and description of "Simplicity" into their music is what makes them such a formidable band. Elephant is probably their greatest work and a huge step up from White Blood Cells with a darker take on their music. The album still has the simplistic yet compelling composition The White Stripes is known for and you will expect the best from them; heavy guitar riffs, smartly crafted lyrics and a sense of fun. Expand
  97. Dec 27, 2010
    Notice how all the negative ratings show no reasoning behind them, or show why it's so bad. They all just say "Worst album ever" or "Piece of crap", but nothing else. This album is a simple masterpiece. With the epic "Seven Nation Army", this simplistic group has created a great hummer. Jack & Meg White's amazing skill of talk-singing, drums, & guitar makes simple perfection, as this groupNotice how all the negative ratings show no reasoning behind them, or show why it's so bad. They all just say "Worst album ever" or "Piece of crap", but nothing else. This album is a simple masterpiece. With the epic "Seven Nation Army", this simplistic group has created a great hummer. Jack & Meg White's amazing skill of talk-singing, drums, & guitar makes simple perfection, as this group is known for being simple. Everything flows together effortlessly, with unforgettable & impeccable guitar riffs, & eccentric, but funny & sense-making usually. Amazing effort from an amazing band. Expand
  98. Dec 23, 2010
    Elephant shows that The White Stripes are simply one of the best bands on this planet. Opens with "Seven Nation Army", which is like one of the greatest rock songs ever. It has one of the best riffs I've ever heard. "The Hardest Button To Button" is another amazing track. Basically, every song sounds like a single. This album is tied with White Blood Cells. Both are just too good toElephant shows that The White Stripes are simply one of the best bands on this planet. Opens with "Seven Nation Army", which is like one of the greatest rock songs ever. It has one of the best riffs I've ever heard. "The Hardest Button To Button" is another amazing track. Basically, every song sounds like a single. This album is tied with White Blood Cells. Both are just too good to consider one better than the other. A Expand
  99. Apr 21, 2012
    One of the best rock sounds in rock history, the White Stripes cemented their place in rock with this album. Seven Nation Army is a classic with a simple riff but Jack White shows off his immense guitar skill in songs like Ball and Biscuit and his amazing vocals in Girl, You Have No Medicine and There's No Home For You Girl. Easily one of the best rock albums I've heard.
  100. Nov 21, 2010
    While the White Stripes are certainly not the most innovative rock band in history, they are still heads-and-shoulders above almost every other rock band from the last decade or so. While many of us have shared the thought that rock has died, this band has added an asterisk to the end of that thought. This album exhibits some of their strongest work, and it's the one that put them on the map.

They break their own rules, even adding expansive guitar solos, to keep themselves interested and fans off-balance. [May 2003, p.123]
  2. Therein lies the contradiction of The White Stripes. How do you combine the shit-hot with the "twee?" Elephant's shortcomings suggests the enterprise is futile.
  3. It is a glorious thing to hear. It will be one of the best things you hear all year.