9.2

Review this album

1. Jun 30, 2013
    Hidden treasure! I just got google stream, and started by roaming my known quantities just to get used to the service. So, there it was, "Every Thing Must Go", a rather new album by SD. I liked 2N ok, so... let's see.
    First song that really hit me was "What I miss the most", and from thereon, track after track with blue yacht rock, sometimes veering to the bluesy, sometimes to the jazzy,
    often with a driving beat. Melodies and instruments weaving in and out, over and under, creating beautiful, moody, inscrutable pictures. Ok Steely Dan, please, ONE album per year. You can do it. What is up? Expand

Though their restraint can be alienating, Steely Dan sound hungry, relevant and full of ideas. [#17, p.147]
  2. Offering lyrical nervousness and musical Novocain in equal shots, it's another installment of Chicken Soup for the Materialistic, Mildly Perverse, Apocalypse-Dreading Soul. [13 Jun 2003, p.92]
  3. What this is is a collection of subversively jazzy tunes which delights in its own cleverness (lyrical and otherwise), and which probably finds its closest companion -- among previous Steely Dan albums -- in Pretzel Logic.