Exai - Autechre
7.7

Review this album

1. Sep 27, 2013
    Review? No, just some words about this highly detailed, heavy and amazing album by Ae.

When i first listened to this album, i wasn't able to hear some kind of coherent object or concept. But after a couple of runs, i found this "red thread" in the core of the sounds and the feel they bring. The design is just amazing. Brilliantly taking the listener to another world. I was always a big
    Confield fan. And still are, but this album is already taking over that place...it took Confield 1 year to get at that place.

Exai is not only great to listen from beginning to end, but also, because it contains 2 CD's, as a 2 part album. The 2 parts have their own feel and drive.

Some, IMHO, stand-out tracks are Irlite (Get 0), Prac-F, Bladelores, Nodezsh, Spl9 and Cloudline. My fav Ae track is still Lentic Catachresis though.
  2. Jul 16, 2013
    An enjoyable album for most IDM or experimental fans. I'm not the biggest Autechre fan but I can appreciate them for their textured and complex rhythms, mixed with some of the craziest patterns I've ever heard. If you're not heavily into IDM or Autechre I suggest you start else where, it can be a bit overwhelming for those new.
  3. May 14, 2013
    Autechre have laid down another LP that's brilliantly designed to blow your mind. Two hours of impressive detailed beats, ambient layers and soaring drum machines, make Exai one of the most irreverently entertaining albums I've heard in a long time.
  4. Apr 25, 2013
    This album is great but it seems like this is more of an album that is meant for long serving Autechre fans. Some tracks on here seem to be somewhat over filled and unnecessary for the album. A couple stand-out tracks are Fleure, bladeloras, deco loc and recks on.
  5. Mar 25, 2013
    Autechre is one of those interesting dance bands. IDM is fun, hippy and by far, superb. I guess this could be the best of 2013 so far. Ambient grooving dance tracks and electronics. Dance now. Buy now!
  6. Mar 10, 2013
    Apologies if this review comes off as biased and unprofessional, but I've been a fan of Autechre since the late 1990s. With Exai being their eleventh album since 1993, and in light of their recent radio show, this is evidence that Mr. Booth and Mr. Brown are still very much alive in their career. It might also be worth noting that Sonny John Moore (Skrillex) name-drops Autechre as one of his influences, along with other Warp contemporaries. As for the album itself, it feels more assertive and mechanized than its preceding album Oversteps (2010), while still venturing into new sonic territory. Tracks like "irlite (get 0)" and "1 1 is" exhibit the trend of agile bass synthesis that is a signature of dubstep. "Bladelores" is a gentle, earthy ambient groove, while "recks on" opens with kit drums a nod to old school hip hop, while the second half of the track progresses with ominous robotic synth pads and similarly evolving drums. And the final track, "YJY UX", with moderate-paced groove and digitized yet silky chimes is a great conclusion to the album.

Overall, Exai is my top 2013 album without question, and hope that the single most influential music duo of my life will continue their career as electronic music legends.

1. Jun 4, 2013
    Longtime fans will be pleased to hear that not all of Exai is a mature, intellectual exploration of the possibilities of electronic music.
  2. Mar 26, 2013
    Listening to the record as a whole is sort of like meandering through an exhibit of miniature, spasming wire sculptures.
  3. Mar 22, 2013