Exile

• Release Date: Mar 11, 2013
7.9

Review this album

1. Apr 17, 2014
    Rarely happens that album leaves me so conflicted. Especially when it is by artist that I like.
    At first listening it is good successor of the brilliant debut. With darker atmosphere, surely, but really good. So you start to question why it is so poorly graded. And then, around the second or third time listening, you realize two things.
    One Music on this album is beautiful, admirable

One
    Music on this album is beautiful, admirable and on some occasions grandiosely scenic.
    Yes, you can hear the influence of Depeche Mode (in Cupid and Mercy), Muse, Coldplay (in Heaven), even Nine Inch Nails (in The Road).But all that bands I adore, so I don't have problem with that.
    Thing that bothers me is actually - lyrics.

Two
    At moments it seams like they spend all literary creativeness, or rather, cohesiveness on "Happiness".
    Ok, this is pop music, and it might be a bit naive to expect deep, life-changing verses, but from the band that made some of my favourite and most-replayed songs in last two years, I expected more. You can literary see the potential of becoming next evergreen in every song. I mean, music is great, song starts with incredible verses, and than comes some pathetic cliché like "my heart of gold" (in Miracle) or "through the void" (in Blind) or "first cut is the deepest" (in Only You) just for the sake of rhyming.

But don't get me wrong, this album has astounding songs. There is beautiful heavyweight piano ballad Help, indicative Exile and nostalgic Guilt. And without the cheesy moments all songs from the album are magnificent in a only-Hurts-can-make-this-song way.

I don't want to be to pessimistic and hideously snobbish critic. This album is named Exile, after all.
    And I like it much more than I don't. If you are Hurts fan, like me, you will turn a blind eye on this imperfections and enjoy in the fabulous music. In the end, this is their second album. Album that came after acclaimed "Happiness" which raised the bar pretty high and spoiled us.
  2. Feb 16, 2015
    They didn't know where they wanted to go with this album. Some songs are awesome, dark and magical, but some are just basic pop songs - bad basic pop songs. Exile is a mess. Rock, electronic, hiphop, terrible italo disco, pop, which reminds me of Eurovision and even DUBSTEP. This doesn't make any sense.
  3. Mar 15, 2013
    Hurts return with a much darker vibe Exile has less electropo and far less innovations than Happiness. It almost seems as the duo is burned out; you get the feeling of "been there, done that" way too often. Perhaps it would have been wise of their part to take a longer break and work out the kinks and come up with something truly innovational... Most fans will devour Exile with happiness,Hurts return with a much darker vibe Exile has less electropo and far less innovations than Happiness. It almost seems as the duo is burned out; you get the feeling of "been there, done that" way too often. Perhaps it would have been wise of their part to take a longer break and work out the kinks and come up with something truly innovational... Most fans will devour Exile with happiness, except for the more ambitious ones, who will most likely feel cheated. Expand

1. Mar 27, 2013
    This is an album that maintains the joyless musical brand Hutchcraft and Anderson crystallised with their two million selling debut.
  2. Mar 19, 2013
    What's clear about Hurts on Exile is how skilled Hutchcraft and Anderson are at seamlessly incorporating their influences, so you can hear the bands' inspirations in every line even as you marvel that this album is like nothing you've heard before.
  3. Mar 19, 2013
    No matter how many dark subjects are nested throughout, too often the music on Exile falls back into the same old tricks of bells-and-whistles pop choruses and obvious hooks.