Exile - Hurts
7.6

Review this album

1. Apr 22, 2014
    A very good second album from this band. What shines the most are the melodies and once again the voice of the singer, so haunting and beautiful. The worst part are probably the lyrics, they are weak when you look at the album as a whole. The best songs are Miracle, Help and Guilty.
  2. Apr 17, 2014
    Rarely happens that album leaves me so conflicted. Especially when it is by artist that I like.
    At first listening it is good successor of the brilliant debut. With darker atmosphere, surely, but really good. So you start to question why it is so poorly graded. And then, around the second or third time listening, you realize two things.

One
    Music on this album is beautiful, admirable
    and on some occasions grandiosely scenic.
    Yes, you can hear the influence of Depeche Mode (in Cupid and Mercy), Muse, Coldplay (in Heaven), even Nine Inch Nails (in The Road).But all that bands I adore, so I don't have problem with that.
    Thing that bothers me is actually - lyrics.

Two
    At moments it seams like they spend all literary creativeness, or rather, cohesiveness on "Happiness".
    Ok, this is pop music, and it might be a bit naive to expect deep, life-changing verses, but from the band that made some of my favourite and most-replayed songs in last two years, I expected more. You can literary see the potential of becoming next evergreen in every song. I mean, music is great, song starts with incredible verses, and than comes some pathetic cliché like "my heart of gold" (in Miracle) or "through the void" (in Blind) or "first cut is the deepest" (in Only You) just for the sake of rhyming.

But don't get me wrong, this album has astounding songs. There is beautiful heavyweight piano ballad Help, indicative Exile and nostalgic Guilt. And without the cheesy moments all songs from the album are magnificent in a only-Hurts-can-make-this-song way.

I don't want to be to pessimistic and hideously snobbish critic. This album is named Exile, after all.
    And I like it much more than I don't. If you are Hurts fan, like me, you will turn a blind eye on this imperfections and enjoy in the fabulous music. In the end, this is their second album. Album that came after acclaimed "Happiness" which raised the bar pretty high and spoiled us.
  3. Jul 22, 2013
    They change their sound to a darker/heavier scenario. But the deep songs are still here. The album is divided with the following scheme: Track 1: Open the album Tracks 2-5: Pop songs (the one that could hit the radio) Tracks 6-8: The experiments they tried. The dark/heavy songs. Tracks 9-12: Beautiful deep songs. Highlights: Somebody To Die For, Blind, The Rope, Help, The Crow.
    Actually, all tracks are excellent, I just tried to reduce the list from 12 to 5. Buy it ASAP.
  4. Apr 14, 2013
    I had never heard of Hurts, but after hearing their amazing remix of Lady Gaga's song, Judas, I became really interested to hear about what more they had to offer. Suffice to say, I was blown away. Hurts sound as if they've been very inspired by Depeche Mode and that is definitely a good thing. Track after track of pure synthpop/new wave bliss. The Road sounds so epic, Cupid sounds so erotic and heavily inspired by Personal Jesus, The Crow is so spiritual sounding and bonus track, Guilt, is such an emotional tear-jerker. And everything else is very good as well, with the only exceptions being Miracle and Blind, perhaps. Albums like these are proof that electronica can have soul and I'm intrigued to see what more Hurts can do in the future. Expand
  5. Mar 18, 2013
    this album is really good. all the songs are somehow magical. there are few of them like somebody to die for which are kinda pathetic but they go with the album. it is a lot more darker than happiness. my favorites are exile, sandman, the crow and the road.
  6. Mar 16, 2013
    great album. big departure from thei first work, happiness. it is somewhat funny that the critics continue to criticise hurts while they are full of praises of such bands as one direction. to me this is because today it is better to praise music you perfectly know will sale more than original bands that perhaps are not everybody's cup of tea. it is a little frustrating because inspiration is ignored in favour of market sales Expand
  7. Mar 16, 2013
    This is so much darker than Happiness; but, maybe a bit better. They've change their sound and they've created something a bit different. Songs like "The Road" or "Mercy" or "Cupid" are the ones that will make you to love Exile more than you did with Happiness.
  8. Mar 15, 2013
    Hurts return with a much darker vibe Exile has less electropo and far less innovations than Happiness. It almost seems as the duo is burned out; you get the feeling of "been there, done that" way too often. Perhaps it would have been wise of their part to take a longer break and work out the kinks and come up with something truly innovational... Most fans will devour Exile with happiness, except for the more ambitious ones, who will most likely feel cheated. Expand
  9. Mar 13, 2013
    I prefer this album over Happiness because it is much more versatile, much more experimental and overall much more focused.
    The weakness is that the songwriting on certain songs is not as great as it should be on an album that is so beautifully produced.
  10. Mar 11, 2013
    Exile is much darker than Happiness, but you would imagine this from the name; a slightly industrial sound with hints of more melancholic moments. A heavy sound from hurts this time round, and It must be said it is a great effort! brilliantly written music, brilliantly written songs and lets face it, even the album artwork is beautiful. Exile isn't as good as happiness, and why would it be they spend nearly 5 years on happiness compared to the 2 on exile. all in all an exceptionally good album, its just lacking the class and finesse of happiness Expand

1. Mar 27, 2013
    This is an album that maintains the joyless musical brand Hutchcraft and Anderson crystallised with their two million selling debut.
  2. Mar 19, 2013
    What's clear about Hurts on Exile is how skilled Hutchcraft and Anderson are at seamlessly incorporating their influences, so you can hear the bands' inspirations in every line even as you marvel that this album is like nothing you've heard before.
  3. Mar 19, 2013
    No matter how many dark subjects are nested throughout, too often the music on Exile falls back into the same old tricks of bells-and-whistles pop choruses and obvious hooks.