• Record Label: Capitol
8.4

Review this album

1. MarkK
    Nov 11, 2006
    Great album. Light and melodic, nice and melancholic. Just pleasant to hear it on sunday morning.
  2. KevinA
    Oct 17, 2006
    Excellent. Forget about his lineage and just listen. The man is gifted. I have not stopped playing it, but I did have to take out the Lennon/Beatles plug out my ears and judge the music-and video, on merit alone. Wonderful.
  3. EavnC
    Dec 4, 2006
    Teh album at first strikes you as rather soft and boring. But once you learn the story behind the songs you can appreciate the artistic and poetic value of the songs. It's one of the best albums I've heard recently.
  4. JoshB
    Oct 12, 2006
    Excellent album. Reminiscent of Elliott Smith.
  5. beverlym
    Oct 16, 2006
    Wonderful. Cannot stop playing this album. Not one filler in the lot.
  6. DominicP
    Nov 10, 2006
    Beautifully produced and thoughtfully written. What a very pleasant suprise from the loins of a legend.
  7. timb
    Nov 13, 2006
    I think this album is getting an unreasonably low score because it's the kind of album that sinks in after a while - at first it seems underwhelming, unassuming, but it eventually hits you, and you realise just how great it is.
  8. EllieM
    Nov 19, 2006
    I just can't stop playing this album - am surprised how much I like it and it just keeps growing on me. Don't understand why his father even has to be mentioned - this album should be judged purely on its own merit
  9. joeyo
    Dec 29, 2006
    WOW ! the first 5 songs will blow you away. really one of my top 5 for the year.still sounds good after repeated listenings.
  10. Feb 18, 2011
    Wonderfully different =) He reminds me of John so much but this album is so modern without being stereotypically modern. I also like how I can't describe his style to my friends

1. Friendly Fire has the same feel as Into the Sun: namely, it's a pleasant but forgettable arty pop record made by a guy who has some promise but little discipline.
  2. The melodies and production are top-notch, even if, lyrically, the album’s motifs barely move from sullen dismay to cheery dismay.
  3. At first it seems fairly plain, built around Lennon's thin voice (friendly, if lacking fire)....Yet there's more to the album, most explicitly in the spiked words -- troubled, uncertain, seeking security in an impermanent world. [24 Sep 2006]